Stealth: 5
    Awareness: 5
    Survival: 4
    Heal: 4
    Profession: Armorer: 8
    Craft: Firearms: 8
    Gear: Semi-auto magazine fed Heavy trench gun, battle axe,
    3 grenades, 1 manfear canister, Mighty Weapon (Axe) +9 melee

Picking himself up from the table, Poetry headed off to his tent, where he proceeded to check his kit and prepare for the next bit of action. He spent some time familiarizing himself with his new semi-auto trench gun, making sure he knew it's workings inside and out and that it was not going to fail at some incredibly inconvenient time.

As he worked, a private showed up, with a package delivery. Opening it, Poetry was startled to see the ancestral blade of his family, a mighty broad axe that had been, as far as Poetry knew, in the possession of his father. there was no note or explanation enclosed, but Poetry did not hesitate to replace his old axe with this mighty weapon. He dashed off a quick letter to home, asking for an explanation if they could give hm one, and then settled into an uneasy sleep.

((sorry, was out of town today, apologize for delay in posting. ))

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warglory, Liberators II

You're R&R is not more than half an hour done when news comes over the radio that the push into the city has halted on the left flank. As you've heard, the overall plan is drive around both sides of the city to encircle it's centre, cutting off the bulk of Houten forces from retreat or reinforcement. The right flank is moving steadily but with the left come to grief Scrub company is hustled.

Curly gets to Slip first. "We gotta hustle, sa', regulars have come to grief and we leave in 2 minutes. Lets get the lads together, things are getting outta control round left flank and we're picked to put the fire out - lets go!"

Curly and Slip set to rounding you up, sending you to the APC. There's heavy mortar fire comming in, dirt and shrapnel goes up in great clouds. The baggage train of smugglers, harlots and the rest run for cover.

3. - Top - End - #33

BlackDragon

Poetry

Roused from sleep by the call to action, Poetry was moderately put out that he didn't get to completely recover from his last round with the Houten. However, the prospect of mixing it up with the enemy was always sure to be interesting, and he had fought battles short on sleep before. In the trenches, you get used to sleeping when you can and fighting when you must. Or you die. As he assembled in the mustering area with the rest of Scrub Company, he smiles and say "So, once again we find that there is no rest for the wicked, right lads?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Snake eyes the incoming mortars with annoyance, then slaps his helmet on and gathers up his rifle.

He proceeds to the muster zone, double time, and goes through a quick check of his gear with the efficiency of a task done many times before.

"Pvt. Snake reporting, Sa."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Twitch shows up pissed and shirtless. Grabbing his pack and his his gear he storms his way into the APC. He fumes silently to himself as he dons his other shirt then snatches up his rifle and grips it like a vice. "Let's make these bastards pay!"

6. - Top - End - #36

"Hustle up, come on! Markog tighten that chestplate, Three Pegs get your helmet strapped, Jinks tie your **** laces and lets move!" shouts Curly, waving you all into the APC.

Dvergr Mechanized Armour
    Spoiler
    Show

This APC is actually a stripped tank. The Hargnut (this mercenary army) use rebuilt and ageing Great War tanks, bought off men and other dvergr then reworking them from the ground up. The two versions you'll be seeing the most of are the tank version, similar to below

The sponsons and turret gun are missing in the above, this just gives you an idea of the shape (rhomboid). The dvegr one is much wider and marginally longer in shape, with heavy armour and two large engines. The APC is the same vehicle with the turret stripped off, leaving more room in the rear for troop transport. About 24 fully loaded mech. infantry can be carried in the rear, more like 30 if you shoehorn. This is important, because it limits the size of infantry sections (7 troops each) and your platoon (21 + radio, LT & 2IC). These are infantry tanks at heart - big, slow, thick armour, very heavy. They're often too heavy for bridges. The underpowered guns are still present in many though the Hargnut view them as a work in progress.

APC armaments are sponson guns (Cannon or HMG), forward hull HMG, rear HMG. Yours has been modified with four firing ports in the troop compartment side walls, 2 each side. Rear door is of the dropdown ramp variety, powered. Alternate exits via engine room are in rear of sponsons. They are blind in their rear left & right flanks, a weakpoint you have to protect it from when working in close support. You guys can use the fire ports to cover this but only when on board.

Tank armaments are much the same, with addition of a turret carrying a cannon which varies in calibre. Some have 75mm fortress guns, many have smaller 57mm guns, and a couple (named Bethany and Josie) have 150mm howitzers. Tanks can still carry infantry, just less of it - about 10 troops. That compartment is typically full of spare fuel & ammo though so don't count on tanks for unscheduled transport.

For the uninitiated, some Rhomboid tank images:

Mark VIII, supposedly carry up to 20 infantry. None saw combat.

Mark IV, 1,220 were built in WW1. Two drivers and two gearsmen just to move it around. No radio, used a pair of carrier pidgeons.

Mark V, a Mark IV as originally intended - more power, better steering and only 1 driver. When it finally did go into production it was rebadged Mark IV anyway.

I recommend reading up on the early British Mark series tanks, and others like the less succesful French heavies if you're keen. They're some of the most profoundly awful vehicles imaginable. They show very clearly the original intent of the tank and the sort of conditions they were built under. You're riding in a late version of these metal monsters; while you enjoy such things as a seperate engine room, a rear door, a radio and armour that doesn't spark on you when hit - spare a thought for the poor bastards who crewed the originals.

With everyone in and tightening their armour, checking their hastily equipped gear, the ramp hauls up & shut with a resounding clang. Curly bangs on the engine bay door to give the all clear; there's a great roar of diesel and the APC grudgingly lurches forward, rumbling over the dirt on it's unsprung tracks toward the rest of the company. Slip is called forward to the commander's seat for a chat with the APC's officer, leaving you lot in Curly's tender company. He grunts.

"Some 'ah you done city fights before. That's good. Keep tagetha. We've got lotsa support 'n ol' Hout's on the back foot here. He's got his howitzers in place and we'll be hearing from them soon, 'less i miss me guess. Speak-Ezy, shake off those love taps an' be ready to call mortars & arty on leftenant's orders - your radio in order?" asks Curly

After the answer he continues.

"We're headin' inta the slums, lads. I know the buildings you've seen so far looked the part but that ain't their worst effort. We're talkin' rickety tin & dodgy wood here. Mind y'don't kick some dumb bastard's shed over by accident, only take a nudge or a strong wind. It'll be a right rat warren but we ain't going into all of it, just need the road clear and strongpoints set up to complete the encirclement of city centre. Expect close action with regular infantry, ours will be in support. Also tanks ahead. Leave those to ours, they'll sort 'em out." says Curly. He pauses for a second, glancing over his shoulder then speaks a bit quieter.

"This ain't official, don't worry where i hear'd it. Funny business afoot wit' the fae, or maybe trolls, i dunno. Somethin's up. Keep ya eyes open. Ya think a shadow moved, ya might be right so let us know, aye? See somethin' funny don't keep it to yasself. Could save a hide."
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-08 at 04:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Why ya think those fae be helpin' a bunch of humans?"

Snake chirps up, throwing a quick glance at the skinny human manning the radio. He didn't know what to think about a human being in his squad, but as long as he kept his gun pointed the other way Snake would leave him alone.

8. - Top - End - #38

Curly gives Snake a wry look. It's Three Pegs who pipes up "Who says they're helpin'?". Curly nods in agreement. "We've no idea, lads. Watch out. If it's fae they won't have a plan, if it's trolls we could be in for a fun night."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

After some time, Slip reappears at the head of the APC's passenger compartment. Walking with the assitance of the overhead rail, he briefs the troops, yelling over the growl of the engines.

We''ve got three lines of resistance ta breach. First one's simple enough-line of sandbags in a slum district. Few HMG nests, heavy mortar section, maybe a few field guns. Biggest risk is from runnin' afoul one o' tha bombs command thinks they got set up, so be careful. We're ta clear a few houses runnin' along tha road.

It's critical ta make sure ya know what yer shootin' at. Intel says thar's civvies all over, and we're ta avoid non-combatant casaulties. We've got regulars, Nacarfi an' dvergr, followin' behind us-shoudn't hafta worry about them unless we really ^&*~ things up. Finally, resistance groups are runnin' around-they're supposed ta be wearin' red armbands so we can tell 'em from tha Houts. If ya come under fire from some, take cover an' invoke tha name of Abdul-Samid.

Samid's a major rebel leader who's recently gone missing-all units are ta keep an eye out fer 'im. He's a changeling-kinda looks like a bipedal bull. Orders are ta recapture 'im.

Any questions?
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2008-11-09 at 12:18 AM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Doc Turtlemurdered

The Doc nodded, remaining silent about much of the discussion about fey.

"If I may, sir, I know a fair bit about how the fey operate. If there are Fey involved, I'd like to speak with them if we encounter any."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Slip gives the doc an odd look before finally saying Nae promises.

12. - Top - End - #42

Doc Turtlemurdered

"If we get a chance to avoid having to watch our backs for fae, I guess." shrugged the Doc.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"What's the about?" Twitch muttered to himself but loud enough that Doc could hear him. Then he spoke to Doc directly in a clearer tone. "Thanks for tha cash, mate, I'll remember it. Now, jus' keep me alive ta pay it back!" Twitch gives a wry grin before focusing on his piece again. His spirits are a little better though he still looks bitter.

14. - Top - End - #44

Gunfire. Rifle cracks and MG chatter are getting louder. The APC bucks suddenly as it drives straight through a crater, settling down with a bone-crunching crash. That hurt, you're all shaken for a few seconds. A voice crackles over the compartment radio. "Disembarking in 30 seconds, friendlys in contact ahead, enemy north." says the voice. There's a great boom from a '75 and a few loud bangs of '57 as forward column elements make contact. Curly speaks up. "Ramble, Lifter, Twitch, Snake - open fire ports! Everyone else, ready arms!"

Curly looks at Slip. "Sections, sa?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

" 'Bout bloody time for some action." Snake grins, before turning to the nearest firing port.

He works the action once to load a round and then goes cold as his focus shifts to an an intensive survey of his firing arc.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Slip has to holler over the crash of gunfire and the protesting roar of the APC's engines as they strain to pull the overweight vehicle out of the crater. Command section's me, Curly, Doc, an' Speak Easy! Poetry's headin' up First, wit Frenis, Snake, Crash, Face, Three Pegs, an' Doc! pointing at one of the medics lounging at the rear of the infantry compartment.

Second's got Stinky, wit Ramble, Tyrson, Twitch, Jinks, Tiny, annnn... Doc... trailing off as he points at another medic. Damnit, Doc, why do yas have ta do this ta me? he snarls at Turtlemurdered.

If I haven't called ya yet, yer in third wit Hooky.

Elevating his voice to full yell, he continues

It's time ta show all those pansies out thar how we do it in the Hargnut! It is time ta show them that WE! ARE! NAGGARN'S! CHOSEN! Tha Naggard do not defeat their enemies-we crush them; we shatter them; we annihilate them! I want tha last thing every Hout out thar sees tonight is yer face-tha face o' death itself!

Hu-
    he punches the air as the cry is taken up by a half-dozen throats. -ZZAH!

17. - Top - End - #47

PirateCaptain

(OOC: Sorry about the delay, I won't be able to post Tuesday either, but hopefully daily after that)

Speak-Easy

"Speak-Ezy, shake off those love taps an' be ready to call mortars & arty on leftenant's orders - your radio in order?" asks Curly.
    The radio was newly issued and showed no signs of damage or misfunction. Speak-Easy gave a quick twist to a few knobs and spoke some quiet words into the receiver. A quiet, slightly static reply was the answer and Speak-Easy nodded. "Aye sir! Radio in full working order, sir! Am I to monitor enemy transmission sir? I can speak the language quite fluently sir." It was not hard to notice the obvious difference between human and dvergr accents and Speak-Easy was a prime example.

"Why ya think those fae be helpin' a bunch of humans?"

Snake chirps up, throwing a quick glance at the skinny human manning the radio. He didn't know what to think about a human being in his squad, but as long as he kept his gun pointed the other way Snake would leave him alone.
    Speak-Easy shrugged. "I don't know, but I can speak Fae, as well, should the need arise."

Command section's me, Curly, Doc, an' Speak Easy! Poetry's headin' up First, wit Frenis, Snake, Crash, Face, Three Pegs, an' Doc!
    "Aye sir." Speak-Easy replies.
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-09 at 03:56 PM.
    I drew this line myself

18. - Top - End - #48

Tyrson readied his rifle and attached his scope before nodding to Slip.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

19. - Top - End - #49

Platoon chart
    Spoiler
    Show

Random's chart. I've edited for clarity; pretty sure we got everybody.

(First name is section leader)
    Command:
    Slip
    Curly (2ic)
    Speak-Easy (Radio)
    Doc (Stretcher)

First:
    Poetry
    Frenis (Sharp)
    Snake (Rifle)
    Crash (gren)
    1st Aider
    Rifleman #1 (Fingers)
    Rifleman #2 (3 Pegs)

Second:
    Stinky
    Tyrson (Sharp)
    Twitch (Rifle)
    Ramble (LMG)
    1st Aider
    Rifleman #3 (Tiny)
    Rifleman #4 (Jinks)

Third:
    Hooky
    Lifter (LMG)
    Bang (Gren)
    1st Aider
    x3 Riflemen

Looking out the slits Snake & Twitch see a lot of shacks. Even as they look they see a handful of civilians - tired, fearful wretches in rags with nowhere else to go. The shacks are every bit as bad as Curly said, most being single story and the really frail looking ones have a 2nd story, like a single tiny 2x2m room. They're all built from leftover building materials and sheet metal, some corrigated iron. None are more than 5x5m, huddled together like the shivering masses who call them home.

The APC rumbles on for a few more moments then slows down, the forward hull HMG rattling off a long burst, and comes to a halt with the rear door falling open. "Dismount! Standard formation - 1st section right, 2nd left, 3rd on rearguard move out!"

Outside you'll find yourselves in the armoured column of Scrub company stretched out indian file along the dirt road that snakes it's way through the Slums. More APCs and tanks are behind you, two tanks before you. The road takes a long left turn before you and you can hear fighting just around that turn, shacks are right aganst the road all the way. A gap in the wall of dodgy tin shacks is found every 20 yards. Even as you watch a dvergr regular (unarmoured but for a helmet) pops up on the roof of a shack on the right (outside) of the bend, firing at targets you can't see somewhere up the road.

Further away looking around you see the Slums are in bowl, their southwestern face looking out into the lowlands beyond Somek and everywhere else they stretch some of the way up 100m of mountainside (50m high) before it plateus above you with the rest of Somek beyond.

Regulars
    Spoiler
    Show

Dvergr regulars are just regular infantry. They have no armour, use the same rifle as you (though more than half have the older long pattern rifles), no secondary weapon, an entrenching tool, bayonet and on average 2 grenades. Typically one LMG to a platoon. Their uniform for the Somek campaign is dusty brown & yellow.

Dvergr regulars are professional mercenaries like yourselves, making up the bulk of the Hargnut. They did not make the cut or have the money to join a mechanized or heavy infantry unit but can be counted on to hold their ground with tenacity.

20. - Top - End - #50

Tyrson burst from the APC and went right with the rest of his section, and tried to figure out about how far up the street the Houts were from the way the Regular was shooting.
    Last edited by String; 2008-11-09 at 04:42 PM.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateCaptain

Speak-Easy

Spoiler
    Show
    Just for RP purposes, are we part of Scrub company? Mechanised Infantry right? Also, when the time comes for artillery strikes, I'll probably make up a set of co-ordinates.

Speak-Easy waited until the rest of the squads had dismounted, then properly set up his radio equipment, turning up the speaker so that orders and battlefield reports could be heard. He turned a few dials and spoke into the receiver. "This is Scrub 1st platoon command, we have made it to the drop off area, no friendly casualties as of yet. The rest of the company is splitting off into teams and will most probably take different routes into the city. Call sign is leaky bucket. Over."
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-09 at 05:14 PM.
    I drew this line myself

22. - Top - End - #52

Military Organisation For You Lot
    Spoiler
    Show

Smallest unit is a team, like Slip & friends or half a section. At this point in history moving about in small groups is a new idea so they haven't formalised it, most teams will be ad-hoc.

Next and proper is a section (Or squad if you're American). That's normally 10 guys but in your company it's just 7. Each gets led by a corporal.

There are three sections to a platoon, normally 30 guys all up but of course here that's 24. Lead by a leftenant (most junior officer rank) who's assisted by a sergeant (NCO above corporal). Here platoon leaders have authority over the APC.

There are anywhere from 2-4 platoons in a company, which roughly winds out to 100 troops. Company level holds the HMGs, that sort of thing and assigns them as needed. Company level is where your circle of well-known faces reaches to, like an extended family. There are plenty of levels beyond this but they lose relevance to you in a hurry.

Therefore Tyrson went right with his Section, not his entire platoon (which would be all of you), and Speak-Ezy is part of 1st platoon command, not company command.

((To use the radio, roll a D20 Prof: Radioman check. Otherwise you're just talking to yourself.))
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-09 at 04:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Doc Turtlemurdered
    The Doc looked at Slip.

"Well, when you're ready." he said.

24. - Top - End - #54

PirateCaptain

Speak-Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
    "This is Scrub 1st platoon command, we have made it to the drop off area, no friendly casualties as of yet. The rest of the company is splitting off into teams and will most probably take different routes into the city. Call sign is leaky bucket. Over."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, call sign (at least for 1st platoon command) is leaky bucket. Here comes the roll: (d20)[4]
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-09 at 05:13 PM.
    I drew this line myself

25. - Top - End - #55

Doc Turtlemurdered

"Say, Houten, the little light on your radio is off - that a good thing?" asked the Doc, as he saw Speak-Easy talking.

26. - Top - End - #56

PirateCaptain

Speak-Easy

Speak-Easy looked at the unlit bulb and slapped a hand against his head. "Thanks for noticing that, that could of been very embarrasing. My name's Krurum Redgrill, but most people call me Speak-Easy, Speak-Ezy or Speasy. And I'm not Houten by the way, I'm Narcarfi, but I can speak both languages and High Fae." He said as he flipped a switch on the back of the radio, causing the bulb to spark into life.

Speak-Easy repeated his last radio message in the hopes that this one would get through. (Grr... roll below)
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-09 at 05:22 PM.
    I drew this line myself

27. - Top - End - #57

PirateCaptain

Messed up the roll coding in the last post, here's the roll: (d20)[15]
    I drew this line myself

28. - Top - End - #58

Doc Turtlemurdered

The Doc nodded. "Good to meet you, Speak-Easy. Doctor Athel Turtlemurdered. Doc for short." replied the Doc, shaking Speak-Easy's hand. "Hope we all make it out alive this time."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Slip calls out over the din First, Second, move northwest. Third, yer reserve-stick wit tha tracks fer now. Fixing bayonet, Slip moves with the two sections until either the sounds of enemy acton move to the right, or enemy contact is made.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2008-11-09 at 06:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

There's no responce for the radio. After a moment or two he realises the battery needs charging. Nothing else for it, he winds the crank like a madman. Soon enough he's got a line to the Captains signaller - that's company HQ far as Speazy's concerned.

((Ah, yes, bearings. North is the general direction of the advance through the slums. You're facing northeast right now, road takes a long turn in front of you around to the northwest. Northwest is sound of enemy rifles, northeast is sound of heavy mortars a kilometer or two away (not your problem).
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-09 at 05:54 PM.