New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dish's Delightfully Deranged and Deliciously Deliquent Random Banter # 106

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    Actually, I spelt it correctly, I even spell checked it to make sure. But your pronounciation seems correct.

And English is based primarily off German, not Dutch, but apparently they're really similar.
    If we're going to do the actual language taxonomy, then we have the following:

English, Dutch, and German are all West-Germanic languages.

These can be further divided into forms of High West Germanic and Low West Germanic.

The prime example of High West Germanic is (High) German.

The prime examples of Low West Germanic are (Low) Dutch and English.

The primary differences between High and Low West Germanic are the consonant shift which was only present in High. And the vowel shift which was only present in Low.

This makes it so that Dutch and English sound pretty similar, while German sounds distinctly different.

If it wasn't for the huge amount of Romance loans in English, Dutch and English would be remarkably similar.

It isn't for nothing that what most scholars deem to be the oldest written form of Dutch might actually have been English.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

2. - Top - End - #302
    Banned

Default Re: Dish's Delightfully Deranged and Deliciously Deliquent Random Banter # 106

So it's cool to think maths is stupid but not cool to think English is stupid?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Corset shopping for whom exactly?
    A friend of mine.
    When I mentioned my love of corsets (they make me go all at once) she said she didn't have any, and thus we are going to remedy this.
    Because corsets are awesome.

Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    Stuff about Language
    Hmm.. that's interesting because I assumed that English was actually based off German.
    I've got sixteen demon roaches, but they ate my cookies.
    My new website/blog:

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    So it's cool to think maths is stupid but not cool to think English is stupid?
    It's not cool to think math is stupid. It's cool to not like it. I don't like English, or math, or science, doesn't make them stupid.
    What is really uncool is the thought that you won't make any money with a liberal arts degree and it's a waste of time to do anything other than science or math.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm.. that's interesting because I assumed that English was actually based off German.
    The important thing here is the ic at the and of Germanic. There used to be a language nowadays called Germanic from which many languages evolved.

West Germanic, which evolved into the languages listed earlier (And more).
    East Germanic (Goth), which died.
    North Germanic, which evolved, among others, into Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, and Swedish.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    A friend of mine.
    When I mentioned my love of corsets (they make me go all at once) she said she didn't have any, and thus we are going to remedy this.
    Because corsets are awesome.

... Why, exactly? I mean, petticoats, hats, the occasional scarf, tasteful red pinstripe, orange shirts (provided it's suitably dusky), and lipstick on cute boys, with a hint of foundation, but not much else, are awesome. Why corsets?
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    ... Why, exactly? I mean, petticoats, hats, the occasional scarf, tasteful red pinstripe, orange shirts (provided it's suitably dusky), and lipstick on cute boys, with a hint of foundation, but not much else, are awesome. Why corsets?
    Corsets can be hot, in fact they are more than likely to be awesomely hot.
    My new website/blog:

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Because they're made of whalebone.
    Whalebone.

Bones.
    From a WHALE.

That, my freind, is why.
    That and i guess they shove in the tummy and puff out the boobs.
    Last edited by Lyesmith; 2008-11-10 at 02:36 PM.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Firbolg in the Playground

The important thing here is the ic at the and of Germanic. There used to be a language nowadays called Germanic from which many languages evolved.

West Germanic, which evolved into the languages listed earlier (And more).
    East Germanic (Goth), which died.
    North Germanic, which evolved, among others, into Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, and Swedish.
    Yep! I've got about twenty sheets of A4 paper dealing with language families and origins of some of them.
    Finnish is a Uralic language which is why it looks so different when compared to the rest/most of the Eupropean languages as they're mainly ROmance or Germanic.
    I mean Finland = Suomi (in Finnish) and you wouldn't be able to tell that unless you were told.
    Malayo - Polynesian languages are amazing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Because they're made of whalebone.
    Whalebone.

Bones.
    From a WHALE.

That, my freind, is why.
    That and i guess they shove in the tummy and puff out the boobs.
    ... From a whale? EEEEEW.
    ... Puff... Out... Breasticles? EEEEEW.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dish's Delightfully Deranged and Deliciously Delinquent Random Banter # 106

Funnily enough Finnish apparently has almost no links to any other language. Which is slightly strange considering Finland's proximity to all the other Scandinavian countries... Curly stealing ma thunder! *shakes fist*

It being cool not to like Maths is almost as bad as it being cool to be bad at it. Especially since it seems to not be the done thing to dislike English and History etc.

A mathematician said that admitting to being poor at maths and barely able to do mental arithmatic should be on par with admitting to being illiterate. (can't remember who it was) Not that I really agree, but it shouldn't be acceptable to be appalling at an important subject.
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2008-11-10 at 02:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

@TwoBit: what d'you mean, you don't understand us? But in all fairness we're not your typical Britishers, we're more fun.
    I mainly said what I said to tease you guys. Really, you brits are the main ones I interact with because I never get on GitP when its late afternoon/evening in the States and you guys are 6 hours ahead of me.

But also, there are some things you talk about (TV shows and the like) that I have no exposure too, though I hope to get BBCAmerica when I can finally upgrade to digital cable...

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Finnish is nice, but it has plenty of links to other languages, just not many languages which are a majority in their respective countries.

It's related to Hungarian, to name an important relative. And many others as well (Handy map).

What is more interesting is Basque. Which is a Language Isolate, and most likely the only remnant of Old European. (The language which was spoken in Europe before the Indo-European people arrived)
    ٩๏̯͡๏

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Ina, your intellect continues to astound and amaze me.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Finnish is nice, but it has plenty of links to other languages, just not many languages which are a majority in their respective countries.

It's related to Hungarian, to name an important relative. And many others as well (Handy map).

What is more interesting is Basque. Which is a Language Isolate, and most likely the only remnant of Old European. (The language which was spoken in Europe before the Indo-European people arrived)

There are way to many languages in Russia...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Barbarian in the Playground

Isn't Russian swearing actually its own sub-language, or did I dream that?

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    Ina, your intellect continues to astound and amaze me.
    I'm somewhat bright, but I mostly just want to learn things. Language happens to be a focus of my learning.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm somewhat bright, but I mostly just want to learn things. Language happens to be a focus of my learning.
    Just take the compliment

But seriously, linguistics was always interesting to me, but I focused on European history (specifically Central European history)

And I only studied German in College. Surprisingly, they didn't offer courses for Dutch.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone know any reasons why people in 1980's Britain would disagree with the statement that "Masculinity is under threat." It's for a debate in Film.

I'm currently reading through the Fifth Edition of Haralambos and Holborn's Sociology: Themes and Perspectives, if anyone's familar with the book and could give me some ideas where to look.
    My new website/blog:

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I got back from my classes.
    Here is what happened with my test...
    I walk into the classroom and set my stuff down at my usual spot. I'm about to leave to check out a calculator when I hear the following conversation.

guy1: "So, is the test on Wednesday, or Friday?"
    guy2: "Friday."

I almost cried. I literally spent almost all night studying for the test, when it was actually at the end of the week. The good news though, is that I'm now ahead of the class by two sections.

@Gezina: You know what the odd thing is? I actually knew almost all about what you said about the languages. I have no idea about where I learned it though.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Okay, I got back from my classes.
    Here is what happened with my test...
    I walk into the classroom and set my stuff down at my usual spot. I'm about to leave to check out a calculator when I hear the following conversation.

guy1: "So, is the test on Wednesday, or Friday?"
    guy2: "Friday."

I almost cried. I literally spent almost all night studying for the test, when it was actually at the end of the week. The good news though, is that I'm now ahead of the class by two sections.
    You will have to forgive me... please

LOL!

I'm sorry, things like this have happened to me a lot, especially with deadlines. I will stay up all night finishing my new story and find out the deadline was pushed back a week.

Think of it like this, you will be SUPER ready for the test friday!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    Because I've got a real thing for Steampunk, and corsets are a part of this?
    Also, they can be hot.

So yes, Jibar likes corsets.
    Carry on.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Jib's, you ever played Arcanum on PC? That may be a dumb question to a fellow Steampunk fan such as yourself.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys are familiar with DnD Edition debates, right?

They are nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to Debates about editions of the Green Book.

The Green Book is the official Grammar and Spelling reference of the Dutch language.

There have been many debates about the 1995 version of the Green Book, and it left many people unsatisfied. When the 2005 version of the Green Book came out, it caused an uproar. It had extensive news coverage and there were debates about it in national parliament.

It was so controversial that another Grammar and Spelling reference of the Dutch language was made, a fork of the 1954 Green Book (Which, as a governmental document, was in the public domain), and it became known as the White Book.

There are country wide newspapers which use the White Book exclusively. (Submissions in Green Book spelling/grammar will be rewritten for White Book spelling/grammar, and are less likely to be included due to the cost of rewriting.)
    ٩๏̯͡๏

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    Jib's, you ever played Arcanum on PC? That may be a dumb question to a fellow Steampunk fan such as yourself.
    I... tried.
    I loved the designs and the feel and the ideas presented.
    It's all wonderful in theory.
    But the gameplay was... broken. Turn based doesn't work, real time combat is just plain disorientating and the menu system confused me as well.
    I'd love to see somebody do a remake, keeping everything the same but upping the graphics and fixing the combat.

Dr Edward O'Reily, Practitioner of Science Most Strange needs to live!
    Nothing but a Nobody

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gezina, you make me want to start trying to get into the Celtic class again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    I... tried.
    I loved the designs and the feel and the ideas presented.
    It's all wonderful in theory.
    But the gameplay was... broken. Turn based doesn't work, real time combat is just plain disorientating and the menu system confused me as well.
    I'd love to see somebody do a remake, keeping everything the same but upping the graphics and fixing the combat.

Dr Edward O'Reily, Practitioner of Science Most Strange needs to live!
    Jibar, stop copying my opinions. On both the game and corsets.

Next thing your saying you also enjoy the looks of lace.
    Last edited by YPU; 2008-11-10 at 03:39 PM.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone know any reasons why people in 1980's Britain would disagree with the statement that "Masculinity is under threat." It's for a debate in Film.

I'm currently reading through the Fifth Edition of Haralambos and Holborn's Sociology: Themes and Perspectives, if anyone's familar with the book and could give me some ideas where to look.
    I would guess that the "Masculinity is under threat" thing is based off of several things, especially the rise of the feminist and LBGT movements. But I haven't ever studied any of that, so I may be off. Disagreement with the statement could be the result of progressive thinking, ie there's no reason why women and those with "alternative lifestyles" shouldn't have the same access to rights and such as the men and "normal" people.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd watch Fightclub. Is that not the whole point of much of the film? And 1980s Brits were the angry miners, remember, burly men from beneath wouldn't like their masculinity questioned.
    Words, my weapons...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I would guess that the "Masculinity is under threat" thing is based off of several things, especially the rise of the feminist and LBGT movements. But I haven't ever studied any of that, so I may be off. Disagreement with the statement could be the result of progressive thinking, ie there's no reason why women and those with "alternative lifestyles" shouldn't have the same access to rights and such as the men and "normal" people.
    Yer that'd be it but I have to argue against it and whilst I've found a good study about different types of masculinity it's from 1995 and was done in Sydney.

EDIT: Aye, but the skinheads claimed their masculinity was stifled or somesuch and I have to argue against it, I actually have special edition Fight Club DVD on my shelf though.
    Last edited by Oregano; 2008-11-10 at 03:41 PM.
    My new website/blog: