New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dish's Delightfully Deranged and Deliciously Deliquent Random Banter # 106

*sigh*

Why is it that, whenever anyone discusses math in one of the threads, I feel like the guy at the local video arcade who just stands around sticking quarters in his mouth and drooling all over himself?

I mean, I'm 29 and a college graduate; I should be able to do this stuff, right?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Default Re: Dish's Delightfully Deranged and Deliciously Deliquent Random Banter # 106

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    Yer maths is totally better than English, because Maths is like universal and objective(well kind of).
    Maths crosses the boundaries of theology at some points, ya' know. Since mathematics is generally defined through abstraction and logic.

...Heh... Just had a thought of a maths exam with one question 'Prove that there is/isn't a god.' That'd be a puzzler.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    I mean, I'm 29 and a college graduate; I should be able to do this stuff, right?
    Are you a graduate of mathematics? If not then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I am definitely not a mathematical genius.
    I are! -I mean, am! ...Kinda' hateable in the way that I never do any work and can still out-maths anyone you care to name who isn't a famous mathematician. But then, I make up for it by having little to no social skills and never go out. So, ya' know, swings and roundabouts.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-11-09 at 02:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm 20 and never set foot on a collage campus (except that one time).

You guys make me feel like the mentally retarded guy whos only 12 points on the SAT (which I never actually took) came from spelling his name correctly.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Maths is stupid, throw rocks at them!

In other news, I had a strange weekend. Little work was done, but much fun was had. In addition, I have a general studies essay due tomorrow that is 2 weeks after deadline, and i'm yet to start it. And i couldnt give a damn.

Also, maybe getting a guy. Woo.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Maths is stupid, throw rocks at them!
    no u!

Also, who the eff cares about General Studies? Don't bother. In fact, never go to those lessons again.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Are you a graduate of mathematics? If not then I wouldn't worry about it.
    My degrees are in English (creative writing)/Studio Art (double major) and in Sociology w/ a Biology minor. Basically, I'm one of those people who are interested/dabble in most every field, from psychology to geology to a couple semesters of ASL.

Math and, as a result, physics seem to be holding up a big "No U" sign. I've read a few pop-sci novels, such as A Brief History of Time and Cosmos, but I know I'm getting the lies-to-children versions of what's really going on and it just bugs me that I'll apparently never be able to delve deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    I'm 20 and never set foot on a collage campus (except that one time).

You guys make me feel like the mentally retarded guy whos only 12 points on the SAT (which I never actually took) came from spelling his name correctly.
    I took the ACT. The math section was divided into two sections when I took the test. I got a 9 on each subsection and somehow that led to an overall score of 10. (Max possible is 36.)
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-11-09 at 03:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Well that's kinda' more of a physics thing. In maths you don't generally get lied to, we just use notations such as writing backwards, upside down in a dead language in order to confuse you.

Because, afterall, it's an exclusive club. We don't want just anyone knowing our secret notations.

...Incidentally, several historic mathematicians DID do this. Because they didn't want anyone to steal thier ideas... Or comprehend them.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

I took the ACT. The math section was divided into two sections when I took the test. I got a 9 on each subsection and somehow that led to an overall score of 10. (Max possible is 36.)
    I think the ACT takes the average of those subscores, instead of adding them. Then again, I took the ACT over a year ago, so I can't remember.

I do remember that, both times I took it, my score was 28. It was so goddamn easy. It would have been higher if we were given more time on the reading section. I'm a slow reader.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, maybe getting a guy. Woo.
    Come on, tell us more....
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I would aim to skive them, but the new head of 6th form has a major boner for general studies. He'd like hunt me down if i missed a lesson.
    Stupid rat-faced ignoral little ooik that he is.

Also, playground, i have a question for your wisdom.
    If you are wearing a scarf (and only a scarf, around your neck), does it constitute as being naked?

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

They probably rounded down to a 9, but, when added up, equaled close to 19, which they then rounded to, which, divided by 2, equals 9.5, which rounds to 10.

Or however many sections there are. I took it 6 months ago but I don't remember. I only know that I did pretty well on everything except science - which, okay, I did pretty well on, too, but it brought my average down significantly. w/o science, my average would have been around 34/35...ended up with a 32. Pretty good, but annoying.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2008-11-09 at 03:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

I like our head of sixth form. He brings us newspapers and toast and paintballing and cake. He even gave out tickets to see Quantum of Solice, but I didn't get one...

Also, playground, i have a question for your wisdom.
    If you are wearing a scarf (and only a scarf, around your neck), does it constitute as being naked?
    Yes. Now put on some damn clothes!
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2008-11-09 at 03:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Yes. That is naked.

Also, hunt you down and do what exactly? Just punch him in the face. It'd be funny.

14. - Top - End - #194

Definately naked, unless the scarf is covering privates somehow.
    Look! It's me!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelFuster View Post
    Definately naked, unless the scarf is covering privates somehow.
    De-finite-ly. No 'a' in there. Definitely no 'a' in there, some might say.

Also, doing washing is a drag.

...Especially when all the machine are taken up *&%*&^!
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-11-09 at 03:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

I took the ACT.
    Wait. Stop there.
    The only test I've taken is the one for entering the military.
    I can't, for the life of me, remeber what its called now.

I scored in the 93rd percentile. This continues to haunt me whenever the Senior Enlisted need to come down on me for something.

"You scored a 93 on your <Drawing a blank>, so you obviously aren't dumb..."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

17. - Top - End - #197

It's called the...
    the...
    erm...
    I can't remember, either? WTF?
    Yeah, I scored in the 98th, and no one ever stops calling me.
    Look! It's me!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelFuster View Post
    It's called the...
    the...
    erm...
    I can't remember, either? WTF?
    Yeah, I scored in the 98th, and no one ever stops calling me.
    Mine was more like -
    "Hey, I want to sign up - where do I sign, and when do I take your piddly 'ittle test?"
    I score dthe 93 overall and they're all "OMG WANT!"

Apparantly, the Army still sends brochuers to my mom's place in Mass. Its hilarious.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    They probably rounded down to a 9, but, when added up, equaled close to 19, which they then rounded to, which, divided by 2, equals 9.5, which rounds to 10.

Or however many sections there are. I took it 6 months ago but I don't remember. I only know that I did pretty well on everything except science - which, okay, I did pretty well on, too, but it brought my average down significantly. w/o science, my average would have been around 34/35...ended up with a 32. Pretty good, but annoying.
    My overall score for the whole test was 24, I think. Honestly, I took the thing about twelve years ago so I'm surprised I remember any of it at all. The math stuff probably stuck in my brain because I've always been a bit sensitive about my weakness in that subject.

Science was my best subject, but I went ahead and started college as an English/Art major anyway. After I graduated, I went to an entirely different college, 900+ miles away, for my Sociology/Biology schooling.

I hated school in high school and had no idea I'd become such a knowledge-junkie as I aged/became exposed to the college environment.

Now, working for a living, I really miss the academic environment and frequently have dreams about returning to school. This just isn't financially feasible for several years, though.

If I did go back, though, I think I'd be heading for a master's in anthropology or social work research (there's a Ph.D. program offered by a university in Oregon; enter the program with a B.A. and finish with a doctorate ). I'm leaning towards anthro because social work is depressing and, although I sort-of enjoyed statistics (the only sort of math I seem to do well at), I feel like I'm faking my way through when I take stats courses. Social work research is stats-heavy.

Edit: Also, a 32 is very good! Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of/annoyed by with a score that high! If you have to pay for anything out of pocket for school, you chose the wrong college! *is jealous*

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    Wait. Stop there.
    The only test I've taken is the one for entering the military.
    I can't, for the life of me, remeber what its called now.

I scored in the 93rd percentile. This continues to haunt me whenever the Senior Enlisted need to come down on me for something.

"You scored a 93 on your <Drawing a blank>, so you obviously aren't dumb..."
    ASVAB?
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-11-09 at 03:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    I like our head of sixth form. He brings us newspapers and toast and paintballing and cake. He even gave out tickets to see Quantum of Solice, but I didn't get one...

Yes. Now put on some damn clothes!
    Ours only passed GCSE and A level history + General studies. He's also "A bit of a Lad". Ergo, the common or garden Twunt.

And i don't WANT to wear clothes! (I actually am, its really bloody cold.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Yes. That is naked.

Also, hunt you down and do what exactly? Just punch him in the face. It'd be funny.
    Damn.Looks like I lost the argument.
    Also, he like, plays rugby. I'm physically pathetic.

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.

21. - Top - End - #201

Being physically pathetic is reason to hold off a good punch to the face.
    It just hurts your hand more.
    Look! It's me!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

I could maybes stare him to death. My dad once stared a man down so hard that his arm caught fire

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

HATE, HATE, HATE MATH

I don't care that I'm good at it. I don't care that my older Brother is studying business math. I don't care that my twin brother is studying theoretic math. I don't care that both my parents are Math teachers at Windesheim University of Zwolle.

I HATE MATH
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

I could maybes stare him to death. My dad once stared a man down so hard that his arm caught fire
    ... But... But... Your dad is clearly a great wizard/demon/thingummy! Worship, and worship more! The line of Aziraphale must continue!

*babbles more, in a panicked garble*
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    ... But... But... Your dad is clearly a great wizard/demon/thingummy! Worship, and worship more! The line of Aziraphale must continue!

*babbles more, in a panicked garble*
    Psion, more likely.

"The warrior's might and the wizards spells, both pale against the Psion's focused stare."
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

26. - Top - End - #206
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I stare at people and they either go run and hide, try and avoid my gaze, or go "Cassie...you're freaking me out...stop it..."
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

27. - Top - End - #207
    Halfling in the Playground

As a kid, I once stared at my best friend's sister so hard he punched me out.

I'm not sure if that really counts. >.> <.<

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

If Jibar had a gun:

"Is the door looking at me threateningly... do I take that final step to madness and exact years of pent up vengeance upon a foe older than the arcane rituals that bind what is left of my sanity together? This simple action could spell a future of disaster... it would become a war of escalation... of terrible repurcussions and untold devestation... dare I? Dream I? Should I?"

The postman shows up fifteen minutes later, takes one look through the window and backs away very slowly.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: Also, a 32 is very good! Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of/annoyed by with a score that high! If you have to pay for anything out of pocket for school, you chose the wrong college! *is jealous*
    Aww, thanks. Workin' on the scholarshippy stuff...

I've always loved learning. English is definitely my best subject, which is good, seeing as I intend to be a writer.

BTW, I'm curious about something...the other day I was having a conversation with my grandfather, and he kept insisting that it sounds like you're being falsely pretentious to say "I'm writing a novel", whereas "I'm working on a novel" is somehow less so. I'm not buying it.

Granted, this is the grandfather who had cancer last year and who, as a result of the radiation and other treatments, has completely lost his "acceptable to say" filter.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2008-11-09 at 04:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground

Psh.

When I stare, it's into space. People just usually go "WTF..."

One of my friends said he thought I was having a brain anneurism (can't spell it for my life... Dx).

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden