Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaia

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Gaia

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

The bullet shears off the cockroach's left rear legs, but it keeps scuttling at you, bleeding a chunky liquid reminiscent of pus, or vomit.

The cockroaches are surprisingly swift, and cover the room in mere seconds. Before you can react, they are all over you, jaws snapping and scythe-legs scratching. Their legs are surprisingly sharp, and easily puncture your uniform as they scale your legs and scuttle up your torso, heading for your unprotected neck.

Bite - 20% (d100)[35]
    Bite - 20% (d100)[29]
    Bite - 20% (d100)[31]
    Bite - 20% (d100)[38]
    Bite - 20% (d100)[6]

Tim & Cliff
    Spoiler
    Show

"Let us out! They're in here, they're in here!" screams a civilian, his voice mingling with dozens of others, all in the same vein. The mobs are practically frothing at the mouth, so desperate are they to escape.

"Remain calm! The lights will be back on shortly!" replies one of the soldiers, shouting to have his voice heard. Most of the soldiers are quiet, however, sweating profusely and looking unsure of themselves. They obviously have orders not to let anyone out, but there are about a dozen soldiers against hundreds of civilians.

The two of you are near the entrance, on the side, listening in.

OOC: You failed the Listen roll, the base chance for that was 25%.

Caleb Maxon
    Spoiler
    Show

Though you have the attention of two of the soldiers, they refuse to move for you, for fear of breaking the formation.

Tensions are obviously running dangerously high in the room. All of the soldiers are sweating profusely, awaiting orders on the new development of fear-crazed civilians. For some reason, none of their higher-ups are responding.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-16 at 11:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

The thick kevlar of your military uniform is thick enough to shield you from the tearing claws and jaws of the cat-sized insects, but the are dangerously close to your unprotected face and neck.

Bite Damage - (d4)[4] - (1d6)[1]

One of the cockroaches manages to find a weak seam in your kevlar and tears at it with its serrated mouth parts, damaging the bulletproof material.

OOC: In this case, the cockroach actually has a negative damage bonus. The bite damage is 1d4 plus the damage bonus, which in this case is negative 1d6.

EDIT - So it did 3 damage. Your armor blocks that but I'm going to rule that it damaged your armor directly, taking away 1 point from your overall armor's worth.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-16 at 11:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63

RogueGuy

Tim

ooc - Not really sure what to do right now, I mean we are near the gaurds with guns and a panicking crowd, I think its wait and see.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Caleb

"Y'all got standing orders to keep us from hurting ourselves, right? I mean, I'm assumin' that's why you ain't lettin' any of us outside. Or lettin' us carry weapons, neither.

Right now, though, we've got a lot of folks who're scared and in the dark. Sooner or later, one of 'em's bound ta do somethin' stupid. When they do, you can either let 'em on through, past all y'all to take their chances maybe gettin' hurt outside...or you can kill them yourselves.

It sounds like your superiors are bein' awful quiet. Decision's up ta you, but I trust ya'll.

I'm gonna stand over there. Out of the line of fire. See if maybe I can't get a few other folk ta do the same."

OOC: Caleb's accent is kinda fun to write, although I imagine any southerner reading this must be suppressing a shudder every time he opens his mouth. In a way, though, it's kinda honest. I'm a northerner who can't do a good southern accent writing a northerner who can't do a good southern accent.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

5. - Top - End - #65

OOC: I've been meaning to comment on that accent. I can't tell a good Southern accent from a bad one, but in either case, it's damned fun to read, and sort of adds to that loner survivalist feel I think you were going for. I love it.

I know this is getting sort of off-topic, but I have to wait for the others to respond to update things, as everything is in unison. But Kuma Da, have you ever heard of the indie RPG called Dogs in the Vineyard? Just because of that last post, I want to run it and have you play it. Dogs in the Vineyard is a gem of a RPG, something totally unlike any other RPG I've seen to date. Basically, it's a narrative game focused on narrative storytelling and facing the players with these massive complex moral dilemmas, and you are so playing into something like that right now. Just out of curiosity...if I ran something like that, would you be interested?

6. - Top - End - #66

OOC: That sounds kinda cool. I'd like to know a little bit more about the setting and player roles and stuff like that, but I do enjoy writing my characters in a way that (hopefully) makes their story engaging. Plus, there are a lot of fantastic indie RPGs out there. I'd be willing to give Dogs in the Vineyard a shot.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-11-17 at 01:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

OOC: That's awesome. I've just got my hands on the original edition of the game, and am reading up on it now. I've never been more impressed by a RPG, to be perfectly honest. It actually strikes, just by the nature of the game, on some profound that surpasses a game. The mechanics are an essential part of the game, not just a system that decides whether something is successful or not. The morality of your character is called into question, and your own morals if your character is based off you at any point. It's definitely a hard game to explain without the rulebook, but I think I can find a way around that. The original setting is fine, not quite to my tastes though - it's a West that never was, based on pseudo-Mormonism in a pre-statehood Utah but it in it's own world. In any case, you've gotten me excited. I find that your characters have a lot more substance than the run-of-the-mill character, even in such crass and blunt games as Dread. Kudos to you as a player, Kuma Da. I knew you were good when I was genuinely disturbed by Haze's background in Dread. The choo-choo piece of intestine totally struck a chord somewhere where my soul should be.

So that post was totally unrelated to Gaia. But for you others, the offer of a Dogs game holds up to you too, if you're interested. Expect a thread up soon.

8. - Top - End - #68

OOC: I genuinely like Dread. And I happen to be a huge fan of both pulpy and crass. It gives me more freedom, I think. In a more artsy game, there's pressure to keep with its standards. In Dread, I can take a break from character development every so often and just punch demons in the face. Which is immensely fun.

Also, one of the tricks that I've found with horror writing is that, sometimes it's good to be needlessly specific. Just a little bit of extra detail at the climax of a scene can make all the difference in the world between your readers skimming right along or stopping to wince.

It's the difference between a pool full of entrails and a kiddie pool full of entrails. One of those is way more disturbing than the other. It made me wince as I wrote it.

Anyways, I digress.

Let's get back to some environmental horror, shall we?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

OOC: Unfortunately I'm with Tim on this one... I'd like to have my chance to be an awesomely descriptive player here, but maybe only a southern phrase could do it, "like a bump on a pickle."

Clyde waited like a bump on a pickle.

OOC: No, not quite.

10. - Top - End - #70

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Always a fan of narrative games, do sign me up at some point, especially if it's a war based game, that'd be fun to.... Hell, it'd be so much fun to roleplay D-Day, it'd be like Saving Private Ryan, only in your own words!

Freddy Biscuit

The roach's teeth slice at the kevlar, causing Freddy to cry out in agony at the surprising weight of the roaches and their sharp teeth. Bringing his pistol to bear, he aims it right in the face of the biting cockroach. "Eat this **** for brains!" Freddy pulls the trigger once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d100)[95] VS 99% Damage = (d6)[6]

EDIT: After reading the fact that I aimed it right in the face of the cockroach and got a 6 for damage, unless it's dead anyways, could I spend a fatepoint or something to blow the cockroach's face away?

He then turns to another cockroach pulls the trigger again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d100)[63] VS 99% Damage = (d6)[4]
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-17 at 03:53 AM.
    I drew this line myself

11. - Top - End - #71

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

The handgun shears the two closest roaches off your body and onto the ground, clicking and hissing in their death throes.

The remaining three cling fiercely on to your body, their antennae whipping your face, their greasy brown carapaces reflecting the light shown on them.

Bite - 20% (d100)[95]
    Bite Damage - (d4)[1] - (d6)[6]
    Claw - 40% (d100)[8]
    Claw Damage - (d3)[3] - (d6)[5]
    Rip - 80% (d100)[72]
    Rip Damage - (2d3)[3] - (d6)[3]

The cockroaches' savage attacks do little but tear cloth and pockets, your uniform cushioning you from their serrated claws and bladed legs.

OOC: Ooh, your rolls went well in hand with your description. No worries, that's more than enough damage to blow the cockroach into little shreddy insectoid bits.

Also, you have five more bullets in the clip before you have to reload. You only had 16 bullets for the handgun (two clips), and you've already used three bullets.

And in case your wondering, the cockroaches are just using different kinds of attacks. They can bite with their mandibles, scratch with their legs, or rip with their scythe-forelegs.

EDIT - So two attacks hit, but because of the negative damage bonus they don't do any damage. Lame.

OOC: No worries, folks in the stadium. There isn't much you can do in this situation but wait, like a bump of a friggin' pickle. Wait until Blockhead's character returns to the surface, anyways.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-17 at 06:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

OOC: Book it outta there, Blockhead. We're waitin' on you.

13. - Top - End - #73

PirateCaptain

OOC: Bloody thanks I get, fixing the lights, risking my ass *grumble grumble*

IC: His uniform falling to pieces, Freddy was glad he had body armour to protect him. Alright, maybe the guys at R&D hadn't designed them specifically to stop giant cockroachs clawing or biting you, but it worked nonetheless. Freddy continued his assault, pulling the trigger on yet another disgusting creature clawing at his leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d100)[29] VS (99%) Damage = (d6)[6]

"This one's for Pemberton!" Cried Freddy as he aimed and pulled the trigger on a cockroach that appeared almost like the leader of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot the reference? (d100)[25] VS (99%) Damage = (d6)[1]
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-18 at 04:15 PM.
    I drew this line myself

14. - Top - End - #74

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

You blow the closest one of your chest off, splattering the ground by your feet with cockroach guts, which has the consistency of old vomit. Another bullet clips the wings off one on your leg.

There are only two remaining, and one of them is wounded. Sensing their imminent deaths, the cat-sized insects scuttle off, vanishing back into the holes before you can get another shot at them.

OOC: You only have three more bullets in this clip. You have two clips - one is loaded, and only has 3/8 bullets left. The other is in your pocket, and has 8/8 bullets left. If you reload, you'll switch out this clip for the full one.

Nice reference, by the way. Sadly that game doesn't look like it will make it off the ground. I figured that might happen, seeing how esoteric it was. Blegh.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-18 at 06:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

PirateCaptain

Freddy Biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback
    John fiddled with the radio, the static only a quiet buzz and dying down now. With a final bang on the dashboard, the in-car radio came into line and kept quiet. The squad kept silent as they drove down the road, looking at all the wrecked retail stores that lined both sides of the broken road. The radio buzzed again, but John didn't pick it up. The voice on the other end seemed familiar, even through the buzzing and crackling.
    Coming back to reality, Freddy shook his head. He really needed to see a shrink about these flashbacks. The radio on his shoulder buzzed and crackled and Freddy heard the distant voice of Stalin. The reception seems too bad to even attempt a reply. Freddy reloads his pistol, making a mental note to pick up some more ammo later on and checks the fuse box again; deliberately stepping onto the body of a cockroach, his foot sinking into the creature with a sickening crunch, covering his foot in a horrible goo.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the fusebox is not fully repaired, Freddy will repair it now, if it is repaired, Freddy will travel back to Stalin and his boys and report on the situation. He'll also probably grab a new uniform, pistol clip and possibly body armour if available.
    (d100)[75] VS (Repair) 60%
    By the way, I know you said skills in green allow for a check, when are we allowed to take a check? Will you tell us when?
    I drew this line myself

16. - Top - End - #76

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

As you ascend the ladder back up into the stadium, you are surprised to hear panicked screams and shouts, and the sound of a couple hundred very scared civilians. The lights are still out, the only source of light being the five or so flashlights being carried by Stalin and the others.

"About time.", mumbles Stalin, noticing the cockroach gore encrusting your boot and staining your uniform. "Did you get the fuses fixed? The lights aren't back on, and the civilians are panicked."

OOC: Well, checks are supposed to be taken at the end of a session, but seeing as this is a play-by-post game, we don't really have sessions. I figure I'll just tell you guys to take a check when you've reached some level of security or peace, or accomplished something momentous.

17. - Top - End - #77

PirateCaptain

Freddy Biscuit

"I thought I fixed the fusebox sir, it may just take a while for the juice to get around the system, might be worth checking out the generators as well, with your permission. Also, it seems we've got a bug problem, sir." Said Freddy pointing the goo on his foot. "I got attacked by about half a dozen cockroach, managed to kill off a few before they retreated. I'd recommend posting guards around the areas of the breech, to avoid massive civilian-wide panic, if I do say so myself, sir. Although it seems they're already in a panic.... If you don't mind sir, I'd like to get a change of uniform, some new body armour and another clip for my pistol, maybe more clips now we've got hostiles." He said in a mixed tone of seriousness and absent-mindedness.
    I drew this line myself

18. - Top - End - #78

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

"Very well, Private.", replied Stalin. "Tell me about these hostiles. The first marine told me they were dog-sized bugs, with two large razor claws and jaws that could tear a man's eye out." He says that all with a light tone of disbelief, but you detect the unsureness behind his words.

As the group of you ascend, the noises of the panicking crowd increase and all of your radios snap on, simultaneously. Apparently they had cut off from being underground, and the past messages all storm in at the same time.

"Sergeant, the crowds are getting panicked..."
    "They are demanding to be released..."
    "We are getting unconfirmed reports of hostiles in the stadium..."
    "The crowd is bordering on hostile..."
    "The civilians are rioting, we may have several civilian casualties..."
    "LIEUTENANT MILLER, WHAT ARE YOUR ORDERS?!"

The stadium is in a grim situation. The lights are off, the stadium only illuminated by dozens of flashlights mounted on soldiers' weapons. The crowd of civilians, hundreds strong, has whipped itself into a panic and fear-driven frenzy. They all seem to be heading toward the stadium entrance, which is sealed off by a small group of guards. There is intense shouting going on. The civilians are demanding to be let out, screaming that there are monsters in the stadium. The guard are on strict orders to guard the entrance, but for the past couple minutes have been cut off from higher command, since Private Biscuit and the others were underground.

If something wasn't done soon, someone would do something stupid..."

19. - Top - End - #79

PirateCaptain

Freddy Biscuit

Before we ascended into the stadium:

"Pretty much what we've got sir. Think cockroachs, only at half the size of a man with razor sharp claws and teeth." Freddy shines his flashlight on the spot where his body armour has been damaged. "As you can see, they're pretty dangerous, especially to unarmed and unprotect civilians."

Ascending into the stadium:

Freddy looks about, his flashlight in his hand at the crowd of people screaming and running about. Freddy then looks at Stalin (I'll probably be calling him this from now on) and awaits his orders, if he is capable of them.
    I drew this line myself

20. - Top - End - #80

Private Biscuit
    Spoiler
    Show

"****." Stalin is not impressed. "Hold your ****in' fire, soldier!" he shouts into the radio, directing his warning at the entrance guard team.

The sound coming over the radio sounds like chaos, and the crowd is high off a mix of fear, panic, and anger. The stranger shouts something over the radio, but what he says goes unheard amongst the background noise. He sounds panicked.

A shot rings out over the stadium, followed by a cry of pain from a civilian. One of the entrance guard has fired.

21. - Top - End - #81

PirateCaptain

Freddy Biscuit

"Jesus!" Cried Freddy. "If that damn power doesn't come on soon, there's going to be a lot more shooting." Freddy couldn't do much for the citizen that had been shot, he had no medic training and knew that doctors and emergancy workers were inside and they would help. "We should make our way to the announcer's booth, sir. If the power comes back on we can calm the citizens down using the stadium megaphones and amplifiers." Said Freddy over the noise of the crowd.
    I drew this line myself

22. - Top - End - #82

Caleb

"****. ****. ****." Caleb dives back into the crowd, keeping his head low but staying oriented on the site of the muzzle-flash. There was a person in front of it, and they might have survived the shot, but they won't survive the tide of the crowd once people realize that they outnumber the men with guns who're threatening them. Once Caleb reaches the body, he grabs the arm of a bystander and stares him (her? It's hard to tell in the dark and the jangling shadows that the lantern throws,) directly in the face. "You. Gimme a hand. This man's dying. We're getting him to safety. Grab the legs."

Once they're out of the immediate press of the crowd, Caleb sets the injured body down and lays his middle and index fingers over his mouth. If he can feel the man breathing--or if he's still responsive--he immediately begins hunting for the site the bullet entered through. If not, he does several quick rescue breaths.

After locating the wound, Caleb yanks his machete out of its sheath and uncaps his canteen. He squeezes a big dollop of water over the clothing around the wound and cuts it away as soon as it softens.

There are tweezers in the first aid kit. There's a bullet somewhere in the wound. "Sheeyit. No point in lettin' it get comfortable."

If the wound is to a limb, he removes his belt, re-sheathes his machete, and twists them in a tourniquet between the trunk of the body and the wound. If not, he works fast; following the trajectory of the bullet, closing the metal grips of the tweezers over it, and yanking it out before the flow of blood can swamp the wound. Then he bandages the site and starts applying pressure.

First Aid: (1d100)[81] vs. 50

OOC: Man, it would be nice to know what kinds of neat stunts we can do with our Fate points...

In case you ever have to treat a bullet wound: http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Bullet-Wound

Caleb is not a perfect model to follow.

23. - Top - End - #83

RogueGuy

TIm

Tim grabs Cliff and throws them both to the ground.

ooc - HAHA Saved your life because i posted first!
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

24. - Top - End - #84

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Dude, totally shoulda grappled! lol, I'm such a weirdo...

Cliff takes the fall and thanks Tim graciously. The more things happened the more Cliff realizes that Tim and he are going to be going through some similar things: Tim looks promising as a good buddy. Cliff gives him an understanding smile and secretly wonders if they'll make it out alive...

Gardenphilosoph:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are my short posts bothersome, I'm really at a loss as to what to say now... just make a short move and be on with it, yeah.

25. - Top - End - #85

Private Biscuit
    Your suggestions go unheard amidst the sudden chaos that immediately follows the gunshot. Driven by a potent emotional cocktail of panic, fear, and now anger, the crowd, driven by a mob mentality, all push forward, overwhelming the entrance guards who are unwilling to fire into a crowd of mixed age and gender civilians. Sunlight floods into the Waits Stadium, along with fresh air and clouds of humidity.

Caleb Maxon
    You fall onto the wounded civilian, a tall athletic man with a knife laying by his hand. He must have tried to assault the entrance guard. The gunshot is in his thigh - if it's pierced a major artery, then it's fatal. Otherwise, the man should be okay. Still, it's impossible to repair the wound in the several seconds you have. The crowd suddenly shifts forward, every one rushing the entrance. With a bang, you realize that Waits Stadium has just been unsealed to the outside world. You shield the victim and hope that you don't get trampled in the rush.

Tim & Cliff
    The two of you are prepared, shielding each other, when the crowd suddenly rushes forward and breaks the stadium doors open. A rush of humidity and the wild, untamed musk of nature leak into the stadium. The stadium has been unsealed.

OOC: Painintheear, not at all, there wasn't much to post about that time anyways. Now there is.

26. - Top - End - #86

Caleb

****. Fine. Can't save everyone.

Caleb makes a grab for the dead man's knife, wipes it off, and shoves it into his backpack. When the crowd surges forward he clambers to his feet, throws his forearms in front of his face, and begins trying to force his way through the mess of humanity to an area outside the firing arc of the soldiers.

OOC: Brawl seems an appropriate roll, although not to damage. Rolling against the base of 55. (1d100)[35]

27. - Top - End - #87

PirateCaptain

Freddy Biscuit

"Holy....! We need to get out there and form a defensive perimeter before we can close the doors, in case any of the citizens become targets for anything dangerous." Cried Freddy, rushing for the entrance, following the flow of the crowd to avoid being trampled or pushed.

Upon reaching the entrance, Freddy grabs his assault rifle and keeps an eye out for anything 'bad' that might try to make it's way into the stadium.
    I drew this line myself

28. - Top - End - #88

OOC: Kuma Da, are you headed outside?

29. - Top - End - #89

OOC: negative. Moving parallel to the soldiers, trying to get to one side of the crowd.

30. - Top - End - #90

ElfMonkGuy

"Tim, hunker down!" was the cry from Clyde as the surging of bodies ripped over them like a high-tide rip current. Only the moon shone above them, the mad crowd, the soldiers, and the entities surrounding them outside. Seconds after a young boy scurried over his back Clyde chanced a peek out towards Tim yelling, "How many more can there be?" but in a tone that suggested irony, not inquisition. Dr. Clyde was terrified, but rationale said he should be fine... right?

What if they were all running away from something? No, its silly! But what if it wasn't? "Tim we have to get out of this!" Cliff yelled as if only to himself. No longer were these his students, or rational beings, they were but water molecules in a waterfall; they never looked back, most of them, and seemed to know no consequences but fear. And why not join them? Did the crowd know best, or was he smarter than the rest? Cliff Clyde was a man of self-doubt: Just because I'm a professor, does that mean I must be more intelligent. Are not these people smart too? In the terror, words broke down into the meaningless grunts and urges of the frustrated toddler trying to make communication with the world; where... help... who?

Cliff Clyde broke down, Mr. Clyde began to cry.