Default Lost Horizon

Lost Horizon

The Expedition Map
    Spoiler
    Show

The Expedition
    Spoiler
    Show

January 12th, 1936 - A private source petitioned an exploratory expedition into the heart of Africa, for land survey and the analysis of potential colonial land. National Geographic offered to bring it together if enough money was donated, turning it into a research expedition as well.

January 18th, 1936 - A vast amount of money was donated, enough to cover most of the costs for the world-spanning expedition.

January 19th, 1936 - Plans were drafted, hotels were booked, and phone calls were made. The expedition was to include at least fifty people from all different sources, and would in itself be a series of small groups expeditionary forces all engaging in a larger expedition into the heart of the dark continent, which still had not yet been fully explored and mapped.

January 25th, 1936 - During the week, several steamers boarded at New York city and left for London, all carrying supplies and members for the expedition. On the massive ships were Crocus Neidr and Joseph Arronson, among others.

August 2nd, 1936 - A meeting was held in London, discussing logistics, supplies, survey records, and the like. The expedition was in full swing now, with all the supplies and members ready in London.

August 4th, 1936 - Meetings were being held for the individual groups, which consisted of 10-20 members each. There were several of these, all part of the same wider expedition but independent groups in themselves. One group was put together, consisting of mainly academics with some military support, as well as a cartographer. They were to be the second group sent into the jungle.

August 7th, 1936 - The second group left for Nairobi, Kenya. At first it was by plane, but a combination of automobiles, boats, and at times camels saw them to Nairobi.

August 29th, 1936 - With everyone and everything ready in Nairobi, plans were made to begin the actual expedition. It was decided that two weather balloons would be best to conduct an aerial survey first, perhaps touching down to study the land up-close.

Travel Log
    Spoiler
    Show

August 30th, 1936 - They were in flight, hovering above the dense greenery of the Congo, in inland Africa.

13:06 - The balloons have been up for several hours, navigating well with strong winds to guide us.

13:21 - The compasses and much of the balloon's magnetic navigation eqipment have suddenly started malfunctioning. The compass needles are swinging around at random. Good thing we can still use the sun to navigate. It's directly above us.

13:23 - The air has become much more humid, suffocating at times. The balloons don't seem to have moved much.

13:34 - A strong mist or fog or clouds have moved in. Visibility has been reduced to a dozen feet or so. The crew is panicked.

14:01 - Nothing is changing. We seem to be suspended above some warm pocket of jungle or something. The clouds make it impossible to see, and the wind isn't pushing us anymore.

14:12 - The crew hears strange calls. Shrill screams that don't sound like any bird any of us have ever heard, including the biologist.

14:21 - Flocks of some sort of massive avian are swarming around the balloon, but they are just fleeting shadows in the fog. One of the crew members claims that they have scales instead of feathers. Bollocks.

14:23 - We've lost contact with the other balloon. It drifted off in the fog.

14:26 - Something has punctured the balloon! Those flying things, they must have ripped the balloon! We're plummeting as I write. The sandbags have been dropped and the ballasts pulled back in, and there's nothi-

The balloon was in ruins. It is torn in a dozen places and far beyond repair, spread across the canopy of the strange dense jungle that you had awoke to find yourself in. Spread between gnarled branches and twisting leaves, it filters in bright sunlight. The basket, or its splintered remains, is suspended a couple feet off the forest floor, the rigging having been caught in the branches overhead.

Amidst massive ferns and sprawling greenery are the tossed bodies and supplies of one of the expedition balloons. It had plummeted into the canopy fairly fast, but the foliage must have cushioned the fall.

The jungle itself is extremely humid, and bizarre. It isn't like the other African jungle you've encountered so far. Something about seems profoundly primordial, from the size of the plants to the strange calls in the distance. The astonishingly loud buzz of winged insects hangs in the air, as clouds of gnats swarm about low-lying branches and such.

OOC: You've just awoken from a crash and find yourself in a new unknown environment. Act accordingly, things will heat up in a moment or two.

Don't worry about mechanics for now. Just role-play.

Also, some of your character sheets aren't up. Don't let that hold you back, go ahead and post, they'll be up soon.

Expedition Members

Sergeant Wallace Smith played by BLOCKHEAD
    “I say old chaps! Over the top, 3 rounds, rapid fire. Ready? Tally ho!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND - Wallace was born into an upper-class household in the late nineteenth century. He was brought up to be polite, gentlemanly and above all else, loyal to Britain, it's people and the Queen. When the first World War broke out, Wallace immediately signed up with a stiff upper lip, believing the war would be over by Christmas. His upper-class status granted him officer training and he soon became an officer in the Great British Army. After fighting many horrific battles, Wallace was credited and rewarded for his upstanding courage in the face of overwhelming odds and his policy of never retreating. By the end of the War, he was promoted to Sergeant and retired from the army, although still keeping in close contact with them. Looking for more excitement, danger and adventure, Wallace signed up for the Expedition, hoping to add more deeds to his already prestigious history. Wallace is skilled in most areas of warfare and military matters, but is beginning to age and so his physical strength is slowly getting weaker. Although his greatest strength is his unbreakable will. Always laughing in the face of danger, he charges headlong into the fray with little regard for personal safety. The many battles, explosions and other loud noises he has gone through have left him hard of hearing. He has no wife or children and his parents have died of old age. His brother also signed up for the war, but was killed in action. Wallace grieved for him for some time, but quickly got on with his duty. He still remembers his brother, Thomas, but does not feel that sad about his death, partly because of his strong will, the long amount of time that has passed and the knowledge that his brother died in the line of duty, serving his country.

APPEARANCE - Wallace is a terribly English gentleman, speaking with a heavy British accent and often smokes a pipe when not in combat. He's always positive, after defeating Jerries in the War he believed anything could be accomplished. He sometimes likes to tell tales of his wartime experiences. He is 5’10’’, weighs 158 lbs, 48 years of age, and is British.

Maxwell Crick played by THE JJ
    "Look, can you stop talking and put some pressure right there? Good, now that I've made your hand better than new why don't you go back out there and actually shoot something and we might get out of this alive."
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: From the New York Times, January 1936…Mr. Crick was very interesting man, and once I got him going he talked quite eagerly. I was struggling to keep taking notes as he spoke, much less get an actual question in edgewise. I did not need to of course, as he answered all questions with out my prompting.

"Well, first of all, I was not a doctor during the war. I'd, you know, bandaged a few cuts before the war, but during it I was just another man in the trenches. That was until the Somme, of course. My regiment was pushing across no-man's land when the shells started falling. I was lucky. I couldn't advance or retreat, not with my leg that bad, but I was still alive and fairly mobile. Everybody to my left wasn’t. I grabbed a few bandages, and did some emergency work. Stopped the bleeding, had enough foresight to keep the wounds clean, and by the time the stretchers came, I was some hero. I hung out in the field hospital, recovering, looking after my mates. And I picked up a few things, started helping in surgery. I liked it, saved a few lives, and then got rotated back into combat. After the war I went and studied some more on surgery, and then went out into the Empire to put it to use."

APPEARANCE: Maxwell looks like a well established British gentleman in many regards. He dresses well, is very neat, and has well styled black hair, with a few streaks of white at the temples. In other respects, he looks like some hard-bitten adventurer, with tanned skin, old scars on his right arm and leg (normally covered), and a stand-off-ish, superior air. In reality, he projects an air of confidence over some very serious psychological problems. Nearby guns he can handle, especially when he's expecting it. He's quick to hit the deck, but you would be too if someone was shooting at you. However distant explosions or things that sound like distant explosions (like a T-Rex doing it's best to sneak), which always used to signal impending shelling, will cause him to freak out. Symptoms include sprinting for the nearest ditch, and shouting orders and responses to orders given 20 years ago. If this happens during surgery, for example, or when he is in any other concentrated mood, he will quietly finish the job in front of him, and then go find a private corner to cry in. He also suffers from nightmares. He is 6’2’’, weighs 169 lbs, and is 35 years of age.

Cath-Quin 'Quinny' Jones played by GLYPHIC
    ”Hollow world, hm? That doesn't surprise me. We're all husks - our innards are the secrets that we keep. You see that dame over there? Well let me tell you about her…"
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: Quinn grew up in a strict, upper-middle class family. Curfew at 7 p.m., inedible dinners and a controlling father. It was just the pits, ya know? The best part of it was her parents trying to 'culture' her by sending to archery practice with some snooty girls who daddies had enough money to say 'yes'. So when she convinced her father to send her to an 'acceptable' university, she really let loose. She stayed up late, drinking and dancing till the wee hours. She became the center of attention, and made the rules for herself. What she really loved, was getting to the core of people, and seeing the mask they wore to conceal their secrets and fears. Anybody without either was just so droll. Of course, scratching the surface of people always brings out their worst. It wasn't Quinn's fault when things went south. She stayed for two terms before her being 'behind the grind' and the manipulation of her father (Yes daddy, I've been getting straight A's- isn't that just kippy?) led to academic probation. Not to mention prohibition closed down her favorite digs.

So what'd she do? She threw caution to the wind and stormed off. She knew how to take care of herself, and if she didn't she could fake it. And this new rumor about a secret world was just too swell -not- to poke her nose into.

Octavius Maximus played by DRUM-N-BASS
    ”I don't give a damn what Puccini is doing. I'm trying to write the next Bible here for God’s sake!”
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: Octavius was born eighth in a wealthy family. His dad was a prominent French military officer, and his mom was of Royalty in Normandy. When he was born, he had health issues causing him to stay inside. When inside he would study literature, music, and many other subjects. He taught himself to play the piano, violin, and many other instruments. He became noted at a young age for his piano and violin abilities. After performing for many years, he decided what he wanted to do was compose music. With his new desire, he followed it to The French Conservatory of Music. He failed miserably at The French Conservatory of Music, being kicked out halfway through his second year. Finding the professors at The French Conservatory of Music to be stuck-up pricks, he continued his composing career on his own backed by his fiancée Maria de Marseille. After the opening night of his first concerto, Octavius and Maria got married. They soon had a child named Peter Maximus. After the birth of their child Maria got extremely sick, along with Peter, both died by the unknown illness. He then heard of the Hollow Earth, trying to revive his failing composing career, he sought for the Hollow Earth so he could compose the world’s best opera.

APPEARANCE: Octavius is 5’4’’, is 40 years of age, weighs 135 lbs, and is of mixed blood, including French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish origins.

SHOTS FIRED: 1

Crocus 'Croc' Neidr played by GENTOO44 (6 Style Points)
    ”The only thing better than finding a new cave to map out, is making one yourself.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: Crocus, who much prefers the nickname given is his childhood, 'Croc', was born in a family of two in San Jose, California. Although he is an extremely smart person, he has been getting into trouble ever since his childhood. He unique curiosity led to several 'explosive' situations. His older brother, Seph, had always either overshadowed him, or made sure to be the first to laugh when Croc got himself into a sticky situation. The last time the two were together, it didn't end well.

Croc was simply minding his own business in the desert far away from homes, attempting to break his old record of how deep a hole he blow into the sand using chemicals from around the house. He thought the 'Do Not Enter! Blast Zone!' Signs made it pretty clear to stay out, but his brother and her girlfriend, Emily, had unwittingly strayed into the zone. Croc set of the bomb, unknowing of the danger. The blast was immaculate. Emily was killed instantly, ripped apart before she knew what had happened. Seph hadn’t been as lucky. The accident had blown off his left leg, and burned him all across the body. Croc had no idea what to do when he discovered this. Doing the only thing that made sense, he grabbed his stuff and ran away from home, becoming a hitchhiker and earning his nights doing odd jobs. Once Seph had recovered and learned what happened, he was furious at his brother. The near death experience gave him one goal. He swore to take his revenge on Croc for ruining his life...

Croc hasn't seen his brother since that day. Recently, however, he heard of a group of adventurers diving into the belly of the Earth, and he wanted in. He had been accepted in due to his extensive knowledge of healing, and to map out the caverns inside our planet. What he didn't tell them is his proficiency with explosives. He wanted to let that come as a shocking surprise, should the need arise.

APPEARANCE: Croc is a relatively young man, having just hit 22 years old. He is a bit shorter than most people, and is quite skinny for his age. He almost always wears a sly smile, indicating something's up. He has an attractive face, with dirty blonde hair, which grows to about neck height, and dark green eyes. He caries a small pack, not containing much more than food, explosives, and the surgical equipment he's required to bring. He is 22 years of age, 5’6’’, weighs 134 lbs, and is American.

Marcus Smith played by SILVERKISS
    ”You studied biology your whole life ? So what, loser, I know much more than you, and I only spent a few hours reading. That animal is not dangerous.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: Marcus was born into a wealthy family, and as such got the opportunity to study in the best schools. However, he always felt he was better than his own teachers, and instead of going to school, he went to the library, where he learned alone from books. The only teacher Marcus ever respected was Horace D. Featherdale, not as much for his knowledge but for his personality and his attitude.

He joined the expedition in search of lost knowledge and new things to learn.

APPEARANCE: Marcus dons a pair of glasses over his blue eyes, and likes to keep his dark hair cut. He is not strong, but his body is not frail either, and he has good coordination and agility. He likes to dress well. He is 27 years of age, 5’8’’, weighs 160 lbs, and is American.

James 'Quinn' Harley-Quinn played by JETTWILDERBEAST
    ”Just wait 'till London hears of this! Then they'll never forget James Harley-Quinn!”
    Spoiler
    Show
    ”Just wait 'till London hears of this! Then they'll never forget James Harley-Quinn!”

BACKGROUND: James Harley-Quinn, or Quinn to his friends, is a reporter for The Daily Express in London and a very good one at that, a young rising star for the papers Quinn constantly gets the scoop he needs. Though he doesn't worry too much how he gets it. Quinn will happily turn to thievery or blackmail to get the story he needs and more importantly the personal glory that comes with it.

James Harley-Quinn was born to a middle class family in Eastern England who allowed him to chase his dream of being a world class reporter, he worked on local papers in his area and it wasn't long before his enthusiastic style of writing and knack of getting the story won him a job at The Daily Express in London. Quinn packed his bags and stayed in a distant relatives house until he could find a room in a shared house with work colleagues. Quinn's first big story in London came when he uncovered a money-laundering ring in London's seedy underworld locking up several gang bosses and making enemies of several more. More stories of the same caliber followed and Quinn swiftly became one of London's best reporters, as well as the highlight of the social scene, during his time off Quinn is a large party man and frequents many clubs of ill repute as well as gentlemen's clubs and exclusive dinner parties. Quinn likes a smoke and a drink but more importantly Quinn likes to chase the dragon. Opium dens are an old haunt of Quinn's as he says he needs to get away sometimes and an addiction has been going strong for many months now. The addiction first began on a night out where Quinn was offered opium and under peer pressure he obliged, Quinn now has to go to an opium den every few days now and if he doesn't get his fix he really doesn't feel well at all.

APPEARANCE: Quinn is a young man eager for the world and this comes across straight away. Quinn is a reporter for the London paper The Daily Express and as such Quinn always has a camera thrown over his shoulder so he can be ready for the all-important scoop. He is a good-looking man with medium length hair, a good-looking face and cheeky eyes. Quinn is in good shape and as such wears clothes to suit his work. Quinn can often seen wearing dark brown trousers with sturdy boots that he can rely on, he wears a creamy white fitted shirt with his sleeves rolled up and braces over his shoulders. In London, Quinn is often seen with a good leather backpack (often only on one shoulder) carrying camera film, food and a few 'tools' to help him in his work.

Joseph Arronson played by KOPOUT
    ”Don't patronize me, I know exactly what I'm doing. Now where did I put my shoe?”
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: The son of a carpenter, his father was always trying to interest him is his work, though Joseph was content to play in the dirt and watch bugs. That has not changed. He still enjoys watching and learning. Never one for long term plans and with a memory like a sieve he almost did not finish his doctorate degree in biology.
    Working closely with his professor, Horance D. Featherdale, Joseph learned of an expedition into uncharted territory. Joseph decided to accompany his professor on to the expedition…

APPEARANCE: Of average height and weight there is nothing much to identify Joseph Arronson from the crowed except for his unkempt appearance. He does possess a rare child-like joy at discovering new things and a love of animals, but these are only known to his friends. Joseph is 5’9’’, weighs 150 lbs, and is 34 years of age.

Horance D. Featherdale played by WADLEDO
    "Ah, it's more scared of you than you are of it. Give it a smack it on the nose and it'll leave you alone. Why I remember an old friend of mine, Thomas Scott, damned good man with a rifle, he would shove those damned walruses right off their icebergs. When was that? Around, oh, possibly the fourth....?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    BACKGROUND: Horance D. Featherdale was born in 1857, in Springfield, Massachusetts, to a Mrs. Gertrude Featherdale and a Mr. David Featherdale. Growing up on his grandfather’s stories of world travel and adventure, he ran away to join the circus at age 8.

After this failed miserably, he was sent to a small boarding school near Harvard, where he spent his weekends exploring the majesty that is learning.

At 14, one of his distant uncles insisted he join him on a round the world trip, where for the next 6 years he saw all the corners of the earth, eventually coming back home to get a teaching degree from Harvard, then escaping away every year or so, bringing back bones, scars, tiny aboriginal skulls stuffed with elephant dung (but only once, and that was a birthday present from a high shaman) and stories.

So, after 40+ years of adventuring, he settled down, teaching faithfully for ten years, and all the while scaring the bejesus out of the other ol'coots.

That is, until he learned that Eugeen Van Mieghem, an old friend and confidant, had died. With the specter of death over his shoulder, he decided that time was he "got back into the game", much to the relief of his fellow professors.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-13 at 10:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Lost Horizon

"ow, ow ow,ow" what happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sergeant Wallace Smith

The old army sergeant picked himself up off the jungle floor. "I SAY! Are we all spiffing chaps? Quite a tumble I must say! Anybody seen my pipe?" He said, dusting himself off, his positiveness shining through and it appeared he was not hurt. The sergeant that proceeded to locate his belongings from the wreckage and attempted to find and rouse Crick, the doctor. Upon locating him, the sergeant said: "Come on old boy! No use lying around is there? Come on, post-haste! There's work to be done!"
    I drew this line myself

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

James 'Quinn' Harley-Quinn
    "Holy crap! How on earth are we down here? Man, this story gets better and better! Quinn is in high spirits despite the crash, his agenda was an exiciting story, looks like he was getting it. Quinn manages to scrape together all his belongings and takes in his new surroundings, taking a small notepad from the top pocket of his khaki shirt, Quinn starts to jot down a few notes of the events.
    After a few moments Quinn puts the notepad away and digs through his rucksack for his camera; upon finding it he puts the strap round his neck and takes a photo of the wrecked balloon and passengers.
    Right then, my fellow adventurers, where to now? And say Mister Featherdale, what were those flying things? I tried to get a look at 'em but that fog was so damn thick!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maxwell Crick:
    Maxwell is lying prone, breathing hard, clutching his rifle, staring into the distance. As Wallace walks up he jerks and swings the rifle to point straight into the Sergeant's face. Oh, oh, sorry sir. His breathing returns to normal and he looks around. Where, what... oh dear... Croc! Croc! Get my bag! Keep the wounded still, if you've been hurt badly, stay still, and call for help. I'm coming around. He then grabs his bag and sets out seaching for people in need.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-11-10 at 06:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Hmmm..What an interesting endeavor. Is everybody all right? Octavius says getting up and dusting his old tuxedo off. Looking around at the forest he seems quite surprised and shocked

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JettWilderbeast View Post
    "Holy crap! How on earth are we down here? Man, this story gets better and better! Quinn is in high spirits despite the crash, his agenda was an exiciting story, looks like he was getting it. Quinn manages to scrape together all his belongings and takes in his new surroundings, taking a small notepad from the top pocket of his khaki shirt, Quinn starts to jot down a few notes of the events.
    After a few moments Quinn puts the notepad away and digs through his rucksack for his camera; upon finding it he puts the strap round his neck and takes a photo of the wrecked balloon and passengers.
    Right then, my fellow adventurers, where to now? And say Mister Featherdale, what were those flying things? I tried to get a look at 'em but that fog was so damn thick!
    "Not birds." said Joseph" I got a glimpse of the wings. Membranous, bat wings. My thought is that they where some kind of bat, unknown to science , an incredible discovery." to him self he thought Damn big for bats, and diurnal to, how odd.

Edit: Ooc: pterasouars (misspelled) have different wings than bats.bats have the whol hand in the wing pterasuors only use the froth finger
    Last edited by kopout; 2008-11-10 at 06:13 PM.
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

"Gee thanks Jo!" said Quinn, "I'll note that down and make sure everyone knows when we get home! I don't know much about science, so I'm trusting you guys! So, Whats the plan?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Marcus Smith

Still recovering from the fall, Marcus slowly gets up, listening to the others talk and lost in his own thoughts... Damn incompetent people, to get us lost in a place like this...

Marcus has his own ideas about what was flying around them and where they are, but he keeps to himself, for the moment. He pays attention to the surroundings, a little hint of fear on his face.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

10. - Top - End - #10

Cath-quin Jones

Miss Quinn takes a few moments to lounge in the (now crushed) ferns she'd managed to land on. Paying no heed to her disheveled skirt, her fingers slide through her hair with fastidious intent. Only then does he notice the rather gnarly log, mere feet away, that she could've landed on, "Seems like we've used up all of our bad luck, and good luck in this fall."

Feeling abit playful, she calls out, "Would one of you gentlemen be so kind as to lend me a hand? I've got an idea, if we want a closer look at those birdies.."
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

11. - Top - End - #11

As the initial stun from the crash fades, the remaining survivors of the expedition take in their new, stunning environment.

The jungle is a tangle of overgrowth, masses of flora and greenery growing over, under, and through each other to form an indeterminable tangle of green leaves and hanging moss. Between monstrous shrieks and roars in the distance are more innocent-sounding bird chirps, though the buzz of gnats runs like an undercurrent, always present.

Cat-sized lizards scurry after lizard-sized beetles on the forest floor, amidst tangles of rotting wood and shrubbery.

Amidst the green, in a small clearing not far from the basket are a set of amazing flowers, almost neon in their brightness. they are strange flowers, and look like angular orchids, blood-red with yellow splashes on their petals.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Be with you in a moment, Quinny.

@ garden:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any survivors in need of medical care? Pilots to declare dead?
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-11-10 at 07:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
    Cath-quin Jones

Miss Quinn takes a few moments to lounge in the (now crushed) ferns she'd managed to land on. Paying no heed to her disheveled skirt, her fingers slide through her hair with fastidious intent. Only then does he notice the rather gnarly log, mere feet away, that she could've landed on, "Seems like we've used up all of our bad luck, and good luck in this fall."

Feeling abit playful, she calls out, "Would one of you gentlemen be so kind as to lend me a hand? I've got an idea, if we want a closer look at those birdies.."
    "They aren't birds." Said Joseph absintly, without even looking at who was talking."They are definatly not birds. And anyway, they seam territorial, a closer look might provoke them"
    Last edited by kopout; 2008-11-10 at 07:38 PM.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

14. - Top - End - #14

Croc Neidr

The firm branch dips frighteningly downward, as Croc's jean leg catches upside-down on it, saving him from the wet ground below. Cath-quin calls out as he dangles from the tree with a humerous smile, knowing how rediculous he must look.
    "Well, I would miss but I'm a little bit preoc- Woah!"
    At that moment, his professor calls out to him, and Corc has a moment to react, as he sees the bag zoom down past his face. He half luckily, half gracefully snatches it out of the air and calls back,
    "It's all right sir, I got-!"
    The extra weight of the bag forces the branch to snap, and Croc just barly grabs a lower limb with his free hand. Swinging to the ground, he hands the bag to Mr. Crick and gives Cath-quin a hand up. The whole display is rather strange. Croc looks around at the others and calls out,
    "Is everyone ok?"
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As Croc drops from the sky Maxwell sighs, and grabs his bag. Any idea where we are?
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-11-10 at 08:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

As more and more survivors pick their bruised and battered bodies up from the ground, the casualties quickly become apparent.

The pilot of their balloon, a Mr. Verne, had broken both his legs and fractured his hip bone, and was bleeding rapidly from having landed on a sharp protruding stump. He was dying, and quick.

Some of the Kenyan help, hired to carry supplies and whatnot, had also perished in the crash, their bodies lying haphazardly around the clearing.

There were still two Kenyans left alive - a shy woman hired as a cook and a man that was supposed to carry Professor Featherdale's luggage. Both of them looked quite shaken and deeply scared. Neither of them could speak English.

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_JJ View Post
    As Croc drops from the sky Maxwell sighs, and grabs his bag.Any idea where we are?
    Joseph turned and gave him an incredulous look "Africa?" he sugested
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

18. - Top - End - #18

Cath-quin Jones

Concern flashes over Quinny's face, as she spots the unfortunate pilot, "Oh -god-" She managed to cry out, her face paling, "Stop.. bantering and help Mister Verne!"
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-11-10 at 08:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh for the love of... Croc! Stop flirting and get your kit out! Man hurt! Crick shoots a glare at Joeseph and then opens his first aid kit and goes for his bandages. Got to stop the bleeding first, then we can really patch him up. The rest are in for triange, I think.

Err... *insert rolls*
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-11-10 at 08:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show
    *commences thunderstealing* Garden, I don't mean offense. If I'm not helpful, tell me to shut up.

Skills are based on successes. A check might require 3 successes for a positive effect. A tie is most often a draw.

On your sheet, the first column (BASE) of your skills is determined on your relevant stat: Ie, intelligence for academic skills, dexterity for dancing, and such.

The second is your levels/ranks in that skill. They add together to create your RATING. This is how many dice you get to roll when doing a generic skill check in that field.

But some of us took specializations, which add bonus dice when using a particular aspect of a skill. These add up to +5 bonus dice on a check.

The last column is your average number of successes when ever you roll. If the skill is below this number, and it's not particularly dramatic, you can determine success or failure based on this number.

There are more mechanics (for speeding up, adding dice by spending Style points, or by using a skill in a particularly risky fashion)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So I roll d2's equal to my rating (13) and depending on how many 2's (sucesses) Is how well I do.
    so... hypothetically:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d2)[2] (1d2)[1] (1d2)[2] (1d2)[1] (1d2)[1] (1d2)[2] (1d2)[2] (1d2)[2] (1d2)[1] (1d2)[1] (1d2)[1] (1d2)[2] (1d2)[2] (1d2)[2] ... I just suceeded eight times, for what that's worth.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-11-10 at 08:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems about right, unless I'm passing forbidden knowledge along. Also, we need to figure out convention. Evens should be success.

Also, {rollv} works wonders here. {rollv}13d2{/roll} produces..

(13d2)[2][2][1][2][2][2][1][1][1][2][1][1][1](19)

Also! Garden, I think the dex bonus from my talent (agile) didn't get factored into Cath-quin's skills.

23. - Top - End - #23

Octavius is distracted of the hubbub. He is walking around and smelling the flowers and looking at the animals.

24. - Top - End - #24

EvilClericGuy

feeling rather usless Joseph stared at the frantic race to save Mr. Verne's life.Out of the corner of his eye he spots Octavius " I wouldn't do that they might be poisonous"
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quinny and Maxwell rush to help the dying pilot, but it's already too late. He's sustained fatal damage and will be dead in a matter of minutes. He leaves them with a parting query though...

Mr. Verne's face is pale and his voice is already cracking with the pain of talking. His strength is rapidly fading. The old man has seen his last trip. "I-I don't know what went wrong. The compass...it's gone mad. I don't know.

We plummeted over a thousand feet, but we were supposed to only be up three hundred or so.

It's impossible...

Impossible."

Mr.Verne's eyes glaze over. He is dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Glyphic, I appoint you AWESOME!

Game mechanics just aren't my...huh, there's a french word for this, but I'm just going to say aptitude. Game mechanics aren't my aptitude. I don't generally mess around with anything that you can't figure out while intoxicated, so games like these hover on that boundary of - can I play that drunk? In any case, I also fail at explaining these mechanics, even though, as you can see, they're fairly easy.

So thank you. You have it perfectly.

I declare the difficult rating. In this case, The JJ, you would've massively succeeded, but it happened not to matter.

Also I'm just gonna test out that rollv thing now, I've never heard of it before but it looks really useful.

(10d2)[2][1][2][2][1][1][2][1][1][1](14)

(5d2)[2][2][2][1][1](8)

(6d12)[12][7][7][7][3][7](43)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quinn stands by the scene, with no medical experience and not really sure what to do with the bodies he just watches those that know what they are doing until he is told to do otherwise, he absent-mindedly is running his hands through his hair.

27. - Top - End - #27

Croc Neidr

Croc spins around as Maxwell notices the injured men. He runs towards the pilot, but he can see signs of death already, even without the leg wounds.
    Oh crap, oh crap! Pallor Mortis... He's dead already...

Spoiler
    Show
    Well crap.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

28. - Top - End - #28

Cath-quin Jones

Quietly and reflexively, Quinny crosses herself, but forgoes the typical prayer, "..That.. was about three feet from being one of us." She takes a little time to collect what's left of her things, her lips pursed and silent.

"He's really right though. Something's off. Lizards aren't supposed to be that big, are they? I.. I wonder if.."

She slides over to the tallest of near-by trees, looking for handholds. Partway recovered from seeing a man die (but mostly just faux bravado, she starts to climb. And then remembers her manners.

"No peeking, Boys."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just trying to see if there's anything interesting in the local area, or if we're in endless jungle
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-11-10 at 10:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
    Cath-quin Jones

Quietly and reflexively, Quinny crosses herself, but forgoes the typical prayer, "..That.. was about three feet from being one of us." She takes a little time to collect what's left of her things, her lips pursed and silent.

"He's really right though. Something's off. Lizards aren't supposed to be that big, are they? I.. I wonder if.."

She slides over to the tallest of near-by trees, looking for handholds. Partway recovered from seeing a man die (but mostly just faux bravado, she starts to climb. And then remembers her manners.

"No peeking, Boys."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just trying to see if there's anything interesting in the local area, or if we're in endless jungle
    "ma'am, I wouldn't go up there the pterodactyls... "There he'd said it. That was what had been wrong with the wing, to many fingers.
    Last edited by kopout; 2008-11-10 at 09:48 PM.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

30. - Top - End - #30

Cath-Quin Jones

"Pterodactyls! Sounds like someone has a bump on their head." giggles Quinny from above. "I'm afraid those are quite extinct, Mister Arronson"