New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lost Horizon

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Lost Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo44 View Post
    "No, no. You're not leaving. I don't care how many sports awards you've won, because neither will a wild predator. This jungle all looks the same. I know you think you can find your way out if you just keep moving; so do I. But we'd just end up lost or worse. Probably worse."
    "Well by golly we sure as #$#@ can't just stand here and wait to be eaten by lions."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

2. - Top - End - #62

"We're not going to get eaten. As I understand, there's more than one capable fighter amongst us. If we're keeping watch, not much can sneak up on us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone notice just how much this is like Lost?
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

3. - Top - End - #63

Cath-Quin Jones

As she slides between Chance and Croc, Quinny pulls her cigarette from her quirked lips, "Gee, you two are blowing more smoke than me!" She forces a little chuckle, before smiling at both of them, "Lets raise our hopes, not our tempers. Mister Chance, would you like to help me gather wood for the fire? We won't go very far at all- and I'm sure you can tell some fab stories about yer football team."
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DJDeMiko View Post
    "Well by golly we sure as #$#@ can't just stand here and wait to be eaten by lions."
    "not lions, leporeds more likely"
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

5. - Top - End - #65

The heat and humidity almost feel like physical, visceral forces, they hang so strong in the air. Within mere minutes, almost everyone left in the expedition is drenched to some degree in sweat. Hey, it's better than blood.

Some time passes. It's hard to tell in the sun-pierced canopy of the dense jungle, but it's definitely been some time since the balloon crashed. The sun's still directly overhead.

Sergeant Wallace Smith and a few helpful others, using whatever they can, manage to dig out a few shallow graves for the bodies, while Quinny and some of the others gather a pile of dead wood. Dead wood is hard to find in this place - most of it is rotting, and the rare branches that are dead are usually encrusted in a layer of greenery or fungus. Life is everywhere in this jungle...

The physical labour, though not intense, easily leaves everyone exhausted. The sheer humidity of the place seems to block the pores from sweating. It quickly becomes apparent that the air is completely still. There is no breeze.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, this is a little mechanics box, so read up if you want to learn the game system. Right now I'm rolling Perception rolls for everyone to see who notices a small detail present in the scene right now. It's probably not needed, seeing as there's nine players and someone's bound to get it, but I'm rolling anyways.

I'm rolling each character's Perception score against a difficulty of 3, which counts as 'Tough'. That means that you'll need to roll three successes, or twos (even numbers are successes), to succeed.

Here goes...

Sergeant Wallace Smith
    (7d2)[2][2][2][1][2][1][2](12)

Maxwell Crick
    (6d2)[1][2][1][1][2][1](8)

Quinny Jones
    (3d2)[2][1][2](5)

Octavius Maximus
    (9d2)[2][2][2][1][2][1][1][1][2](14)

Croc Neidr
    (7d2)[2][1][2][2][1][1][1](10)

Marcus Smith
    (8d2)[1][1][1][1][1][2][2][2](11)

Quinn Harley-Quinn
    (4d2)[2][2][2][1](7)

Joseph Arronson
    (8d2)[2][1][1][1][1][1][2][1](10)

Horance D. Featherdale
    (5d2)[1][2][2][1][1](7)

OOC: Wow, you guys are by far the most prolific posters I've ever had, ever. Ever. I can't wait 'till things start getting heated up!

Also, I've never played with this large a group. It's certainly an interesting game to host. So...many...players! I must thin you guys out with lethal death traps or something.

6. - Top - End - #66

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, let's count up successes...

Sergeant Wallace Smith scores five successes, easily spotting the detail.

So does Octavius Maximus, Croc Neidr, Marcus Smith, and Quinn. In a roll this obvious usually we just wouldn't roll and assume someone out of the massive group spots it.

There is something called 'taking the average'. Basically, in a non-combat situation, if the skill of the player is high enough so that the odds are with him (see, it's 50/50 win or lose, and if the player's skill is 8, he would roll an average of 4 successes) then we can 'take his average' and assume he succeeds.

I'm bad at explaining, but I hope you get it.

Resting on various logs and stones at the crash site, a handful of the expedition members notice something off...the brightly coloured flowers in the clearing ahead are moving in the breeze, twitching back and forth slowly.

But there is no breeze.

7. - Top - End - #67

Croc Neidr

"Hmm... That's odd... Hold on, I'll be right back you guys."
    A mixture of boredom and curiosity forces Croc to get up from his stump and move towards the branches. Though he doesn't think he'll need it, Croc lightly fingers the hidden switchblade in his pocket.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can understand the skill system just fine. Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not I want this to be a whole 'you get style points! You also lose 1/2 your stomach to the velociraptor' situation. *Gulp*
    As of 9/30/09

8. - Top - End - #68

Croc carefully approaches the clearing, parting several vines, leaves, and branches that are in the way. The ferns are thick, and brush past his feet, and several times the mud sucks down his boot, if only for a second.

The clearing is small, hardly large enough to be called a clearing. It is a couple metres wide, a parting in the foliage. At the center of the clearing is a tall tuberous plant, about fifteen feet high and with a multitude of stems, each around a foot thick. The strange thing about the plant is that its many stems rise straight up about ten feet, then curve back downwards into the center of the stems, as if it is growing into itself.

It has a multitude of brightly coloured flowers, almost neon in their colour. They are strangely moving of their own volition, though with slow, gentle movements, as if they are flowing in the breeze, despite the lack of any air movement whatsoever.

Near the flowers are dozens of small little green pitcher-shaped jugs, also part of the plant itself. They are interesting constructs, each lined with a dozen little hairs, accompanying the neon flowers.

The plant is...pretty. The first word to strike your mind is pretty. It's a wondrous thing, ablaze in sunlight in the brief jungle clearing.

9. - Top - End - #69

Cath-quin Jones

Quinny has found herself a pair of palm leaves, and is good-naturedly badgering those around her (but mainly Marcus) with smiles and laughter- and a careless amount of flirtation, "Oh, won't you fan me? As far as I can see, I'm the only gal about here worth being Queen of this 'ere jungle. I just didn't know it'd be so hot and humid." Daintily, she places a fern and flower crafted crown on her head, then discreetly airs her dress, "Now, won't you wave a fern at your queen: even for a minute or two?"

10. - Top - End - #70

RogueGuy

Chance

"What's wrong you man, its just a silly flower."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

11. - Top - End - #71

PirateCaptain

Sergeant Wallace Smith

The Sergeant also notices the flowers and follows Croc in examining them.
    I drew this line myself

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Quinn
    Quinn notices the flowers and heads over the flowers, they are unlike anything Quinn has seen before; "Anyone know anything about these plants? I've not seen anything like it before.... He takes a picture and then straightens up and looks around him for other noticeable plants/objects/anything.

13. - Top - End - #73

Octavius follows to marvel at the flower. Hmmm......What a peculiar little flower........Very interesting...

14. - Top - End - #74

"Jesus that thing is huge!"
    Croc moves up right next to the plant. and whispers to himself,
    "Nepenthes distillatoria, that's gotta be the biggest one in the world..." Then louder he says, "I wonder what it eats to say that big."

Croc moves up to one of the more sturdy trees and begins to climb it, truing to get a view of the inside mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Screw it, I'm going for it.
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-13 at 03:26 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

15. - Top - End - #75

Croc reaches out to scale the strange plant, having correctly identified it as a carnivorous pitcher plant. What's odd is that the pitchers on the plant itself are small, but the plant itself is massive...

Suddenly, the plant trembles and the neon flowers start twitching excitedly. Something is wrong.

In one swift movement, a giant stem unfurls itself, revealing the bulbous man-sized pitcher at the end, the top sprouting thorny spines like teeth. Previously it was hidden in the center of the plant, but it somehow must have sensed Croc and the others nearby. With a fell swoop it bends down towards Croc, the strange pitcher wide-open.

Spoiler
    Show

So, what's going to happen here is the the plant is going to make a Brawl touch attack against Croc. The only difference between a regular attack and a touch attack is that a touch attack doesn't factor in armor, since it's just to see if the plant successfully touches Croc.

The plant has a Brawl rating of 8.
    (8d2)[1][2][1][2][2][1][2][2](13)

Croc's defense rating is 5.
    (5d2)[1][2][2][1][1](7)

If the plant's number of successes is more than Croc's, it wins. As a special rule to the plant, if the number of extra successes exceeds Croc's strength rating, then he is also taken into the pitcher. Croc has a strength of 1, so this is pretty dangerous.

Also though, Croc gets a Style point because he used his Flaw, and impulsively climbed onto the plant.

16. - Top - End - #76

Something like that, but giant and with thorny 'teeth'.

The massive plant envelopes Croc into it's thorny maw, and the previously green pitcher flushes a dark red, indicating that it has successfully captured a prey item.

Spoiler
    Show

So the plant got 5 successes while Croc only got 2, so it's a successful Touch attack.

There are 3 extra successes, and Croc's strength is only 1, so he also gets enveloped by the plant.

The thorny spines of the plant outside cross over one another, like interlocking teeth to secure the lid. Inside, Croc is cramped in a small space with green-red walls and a few porous pieces of bone at the bottom. Small glands on the wall begin to pulsate...

OOC: So people, this is the time to attack the plant! Screw initiative, I'm going to use posting order and see how that works. Starting next turn, Croc can start trying to escape by making an opposed strength check. Gentoo44, tell me if you want to use your style points. I'll inform you more about them in my next post.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-13 at 06:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Croc Neidr

Croc attempts to scramble away as the pitcher plant open, but the sap is too strong. As he slides into the plant, he screams out, turning towards the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edit: Ninja'd

I suppose now would be a good time to ask, too. What can you do with Style Points?

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-13 at 06:14 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Croc! Maxwell stares in shock, and then grabs his bayonet, and cautiously approaches the plant, trying to lure it into revealing how fast it can move to attack him.

19. - Top - End - #79

EvilClericGuy

Joseph doesn't have a weapon, he did not think he would need one so retching into his back back he he grabs the crow bar and beguines smashing at the plant

how do I determine damage ?
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

20. - Top - End - #80

Octavius pulls out his pistol from his dirty suit jacket pocket and fires a round off at the plant, after hoping away from it so it wouldn't eat him.

21. - Top - End - #81

Cath-quin Jones

"Holy Hell.." Rapt with amazement, Quinny drop her ferns and slides to the back of everyone, "W-w-what'd it do to him? I can't see him!"

For better or worse, she decides to knock an arrow, and let it fly.

Spoiler
    Show
    My dexterity is six: one point in archery, four into bows. My weapon is rated 2L. 6+1+4+2 = 13 dice. Gonna count this as "unlucky" for -2.

(11d2)[2][1][1][1][2][1][1][1][2][1][2](15)
    Edit: Four successes.

Damage is determined by your hit. If you beat the monster's defense, you score a hit and do your weapon's damage. For each additional success beyond hitting, you deal an additional damage.
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-11-13 at 06:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

PirateCaptain

Sergeant Wallace Smith

"HOLD ON OLD CHAP!" Cried the Sergeant, attempting to pull the enveloped Croc from the plant's base.

Spoiler
    Show
    What would I roll here? Strength? Might be easier if you made these rolls for now
    I drew this line myself

23. - Top - End - #83

EvilClericGuy

scrach that
    (1d2)[2]
    (1d2)[2]
    (1d2)[2]
    three sucseses! woot!
    Last edited by kopout; 2008-11-13 at 06:51 PM.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Marcus Smith

As Croc is dragged in, Marcus quickly reaches for his gun, but decides otherwise. It wouldn't be wise to spend bullets now, even because everyone is already trying to save the man. If he is unlucky, then he is unlucky and nothing could be done.

Marcus is not heartless, however, so he tries to see if there's anything that he can do, without putting himself in mortal danger, to help Croc.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

25. - Top - End - #85

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
    Marcus Smith

As Croc is dragged in, Marcus quickly reaches for his gun, but decides otherwise. It wouldn't be wise to spend bullets now, even because everyone is already trying to save the man. If he is unlucky, then he is unlucky and nothing could be done.

Marcus is not heartless, however, so he tries to see if there's anything that he can do, without putting himself in mortal danger, to help Croc.
    Sergeant Wallace Smith

"Don't just stand there old boy! Give me a hand!" Cried Wallace to Marcus, gesturing for him to come help.
    I drew this line myself

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Quinn
    Quinn pulls his machete from his bag, he steps forward to swing into the plant but at the last minute stops; Wait, he's still there! We might hurt him!

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, a lot of mechanics going on here seeing as it's our first battle scene.

So below I will a quick summary, in order, of what all the characters are doing...

1. Joseph is attacking the plant with a crowbar. (Rolled 3 successes.)
    2. Octavius fires one shot at the plant with his pistol.
    3. Quinny looses an arrow at the plant.
    4. The Sergeant is trying to pull Croc out of the plant.

As for Style points, everyone read this since it concerns everyone. There are three things you can do with your Style points.

1. BONUS DICE - You can spend 1 Style point to get 1 bonus dice in a roll.
    2. BOOST TALENT - You can spend 2 Style points to temporarily boost your talent up another level. This doesn't work for some talents, and is sort of a weird use of Style points. Don't worry about this use too much.
    3. DAMAGE REDUCTION - You can spend 2 Style points to reduce 1 point of damage. Useful if the blow would be fatal otherwise.

The second spoiler will contain my rolls.

Spoiler
    Show

1. Joseph is attacking the plant with a crowbar. (Rolled 3 successes.)
    Alright kopout, Joseph actually should only roll 2 dice for this attack, but since you rolled more than that and they all succeeded, I'll count those as two successes.

Plant's defense roll against that...
    (8d2)[1][1][2][1][2][2][2][2](13)

2. Octavius fires one shot at the plant with his pistol.
    So his attack is 1L, which is pretty pointless I'm sad to say. Let's see...

Octavius' attack...
    (1d2)[2](2)

(8d2)[1][2][1][2][1][2][2][1](12)

3. Quinny looses an arrow at the plant.
    Sorry about your strange character sheet. Good thing you have a grip on the mechanics, you got the rolls all right. I'm not going to say that it's unlucky though, so hopefully you won't mind if I roll the two extra die for you.

Two other dice, in addition to 4 successes...
    (2d2)[2][2](4)

(8d2)[2][1][2][2][2][2][2][1](14)

4. The Sergeant is trying to pull Croc out of the plant.
    So I'm going to say that this needs an opposed Strength check to the plant. You roll your strength, and I roll for the plant, and whoever wins will get Croc. You have a strength of 2 and the plant has a strength of 4.

The Sergeant's strength roll...
    (2d2)[2][2](4)

The plant's strength roll...
    (4d2)[2][1][1][1](5)

28. - Top - End - #88

The plant's thick rubbery skin seem to deflect Joseph's crowbar, while Octavius' untrained pistol shot goes wild and flies off into the untamed jungle.

Quinny's arrows flies into the group of writhing stems and leaves that is the plant, but embeds itself into a fleshy bulb that doesn't seem to affect the plant.

During the frenzied chaos of shooting and bludgeoning, Sergeant Wallace Smith manages to cover the ground between him and the plant and wrench apart the pitcher's jaws before the teeth fully interlock. Croc is pulled out, covered in mucus but relieved. In a couple more mere seconds the plant's digestive system would activate, flooding the pitcher with acid and dooming Croc to digestion.

Spoiler
    Show

1. The plant gets 5 successes against Joseph's 2, so it doesn't get hurt by the crowbar.

2. The plant gets 4 successes against Octavius' 1, so it doesn't get hurt by the pistol shot.

3. The plant gets 6 successes against Quinny's 6, so the rolls negate each other and nothing happens.

4. The plant gets 1 success against the Sergeant's 2, so he is able push apart the pitcher's lid and pull Croc out.

Something I just realized with the system is that unless you are skilled in your weapon, there is almost no point in attacking with it. It's something I should have realized at character creation, so I'm sorry and it's my fault.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maxwell charges forward to drag Croc out of danger and then, once clear, begins checking him for injuries.
    We need a bloody flamethrower. he growls to Wallace.

30. - Top - End - #90

Croc Neidr

Croc sits on the ground where he was pulled, staring in awe at the creature that came so close to finishing him off.
    "Holy... ****..."

He eventually recovers from his amazed state, turns to Maxwell and say in a breathless voice,
    "Uh, thanks."
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-13 at 10:45 PM.
    As of 9/30/09