New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Fatal Syzygy - Saints

Armina

As the healer heads out and starts talking, Armina's face assumes a particularly quizzical expression. She speaks just louder than a whisper, trying to remain unseen and unheard. "Well, so much for stealth. Still, you have to admire her courage, if not necessarily her intelligence." Keeping herself out of view, Armina waits to see if this attempt at non-violence works, before she charges in. I do wish she weren't quite so far away, though. I don't think I can reach her in time to protect her, should things go wrong...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

"What is she...?" Sigurd stares after the healer as she walks away, and quietly puts his hand over his face as she reveals herself, giving a low growl. "There's a difference between courage and stupidity. This is definitely the latter. She deserves whatever she gets."

The half-giant peeks into the room a bit and points towards one of the doors ((L4)). "If she's gonna throw her life away, we might as well make use of it. She'll take their attention. Let's move to that door." With that, he begins moving, hugging the walls on his way. ((Taking ten on hide/move silently, result of 10 for both.))

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Shrugging expansively, Bala nods at Sigurd's suggestion, and begins to follow him towards the door as quietly as she can.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #64

Armina

Watching the others (try to) sneak off, Armina screws up her face even more, then it fades back to a neutral expression. She turns to the only other person still waiting. "Jaxon, guard that crystal with your life, and make sure it gets out of here. I'll keep an eye on the healer. Despite being stuck in this dress, I don't need weapons or armor to fight, so I'm not bothered much by it's lack. If she" Armina gestures toward Mary "needs help, I can provide it better than anyone else right now. But someone needs to keep that crystal safe, and since Mary has chosen you, I'm not going to second guess her. Go catch the others, and try to get out of here."

With that said, she zips across the room, to stand behind Mary, saying nothing.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jaxon

Jaxon accepts the small, blue orb and holds it tightly in his left hand. He nods his understanding. "It is possible she'll be okay. We don't even know what exactly is going on here," he whispers. When Sigurd begins leading toward one of the other exits, Jaxon follows as quietly as he can. However, he also tries to watch what is happening over by the fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently - (1d20+12)[26]
    Hide - (1d20+12)[32]
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2008-11-18 at 06:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Mary's bold words are met with a hiss. "Where is the Nine Hells did you come from?" he bellows incredulously. "And who are you people?" He keeps a steady sword pointed at his previous quarry. It seems her kind words are enough to stave off the questioner's fury, at least toward Mary. The man lying on the floor stammers out, "I- I- I've never seen her in my entire life. Maybe she's the one responsible for the explosion. I was just here..."

Other than Armina who stays behind, the others can now see the two figures well enough1. They don't seem to acknowledge your presence.

Sigurd tries the closest door, and he finds that it opens easily. Cracking the door open, he sees more glowing mushrooms lighting up a modest room like the one they first entered. Except the closets and beds are in tact. And you don't see an entrance to a tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show

The threatener is a tall lizard creature. He is well armored and is holding up a curved sword. The threatened is a fat elf with surprisingly beady little eyes almost lost among the disheveled hair and high check bones. *rolled some dice* Using the 'Assess Opponent' option for Sense Motive -- the lizard's somewhere between 'Challenge' and 'Dire Threat', meaning that it's CR is at least 1 higher than any of your level, but it could be more. None of you spot anything of particular interest on him.
    Last edited by KingRexII; 2008-11-19 at 12:52 AM. Reason: trying out the door!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Mary

People?

Mary felt her inners coil in joy. She was so sure then that the inherent, selfless goodness of the others had finally kicked in and – a glance backwards found only the taller Armina taking single, silent vigil some slight distance away. That was three or so less than Mary might have wished for, but certainly one that she loved more than all in that moment. She unconsciously sighed in some relief and gave a slight smile of thanks.

I'm Mary Sitorian. A healer. I awoke nearby this place, amidst all the explosions, and have been trying to find an untroubled path since. My friend here found herself much the same.”

Wait. Did that elf just try to blame the explosions on me?

Mary tried to suppress a look of disbelief at the elf, failed, and took a moment to swallow her then swelling doubt. She reminded herself that Armina was near, that there was no reason hostilities had to go any further, and that there was always a better way than violence. Situations often only needed someone to say so. Even with her face managing to catch composition then, this line of thinking wasn't able to do much to prevent a light shaking of the hands. The scaly, armed warrior was easily as intimidating as Sigurd was. A part of her mind tried to recall what she had heard, if anything, of lizard creatures.

I don't mean to cause any offence through disruption,” she explained honestly. “I mean only to understand and reconcile. These misgivings can surely be overcome without bloodshed. May I know what he has done to earn your anger, sir?”

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[18] +6 Knowledge: (Nature) result

Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

8. - Top - End - #68

Sigurd winces as the room fails to provide a way out. He turns back to those following him, shakes his head, and runs a finger over his throat. He then points to the next door and begins moving towards it, intent on opening it and peeking inside once he gets there. ((Take 10 on hide/move silent, result = 10 on both))

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Bala nods her understanding to Sigurd, and follows as quietly as she can. She tries to keep an ear on the debacle conversation taking place in the centre of the room.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jaxon

Jaxon also follows, quietly and carefully. His eyes dart back and forth between where he walks and the scene going on next to the fire.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Crown of Amarra

The lizard man1 scoffs angrily. "I've done all the work to get into this place and you jokers just waltz right in here!" His sword gets dangerously close to the fat elf's neck. He composes himself before saying in a huff, "I don't care what other treasures there are in this place. If you have the crown -- the Crown of Amarra, give it to me, and we can all leave in peace rather than in pieces." He punctuates the last word by letting his blade press against the fat elf's neck. He elicits no blood -- just a tiny squeal.

His eyes are so concentrated on Mary and the fat elf, that the group of three skulking in the shadows elude his sight and hearing. They make it to the next door, and Sigurd peeks in2.

Spoiler
    Show

1Hmmm... technically it's a Knowledge(local) check, but I always found that skill to be suspect at best for use with humanoids. It's a Lizardfolk, which you may or may not have seen before. Go with your gut on this one.
    2Same as before. No exit sign.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Mary

I can help you,” she stammered out quickly, as though the sword had been pressed closer to her own neck.

Mary paused to look at the man and affirmed in the campfire light that there was no blood. She vaguely recognised the scaly warrior as apart of the lizardfolk race. Thinking the elf man lucky for not yet being impaled, she quickly went on, “I can bring light to dark corners, detect magical auras most can't, be an extra pair of eyes in your hunt! I don't have your crown, but I could be invaluable in helping you find it quicker than you might alone.”

Her hazel eyes were alight with sudden hope. She smiled, knowing then the prayer that needed to be said to bring them out of the Abyss much swifter.

The more people you have helping you, the sooner the Crown could be yours. If you would just let that man stand, I would gladly help you search this place. And he would surely help you as well.”

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[6] +21 Diplomacy result = 27

Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2008-11-20 at 01:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Sigurd suppresses a curse as this room also fails to deliver. He points to the next door ((V4)) and begins creeping towards it--expectations low, but what else can one do? As he slowly moves towards the door, he idly listens to Mary, rolling his eyes at her madness--if she wants to sell herself into slavery over the life of a stranger, that's her business.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-11-20 at 02:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jaxon

Jaxon breathes a small sigh of relief when he hears the lizardman's demands for a crown. "At least it doesn't sound like he's looking for this," he thinks. He finally tucks the small blue pearl into his pocket.

His eyes momentarily bulge as Mary mentions bringing light to dark corners. "No, not yet!" he thinks, hoping she can at the very least buy some more time.

He continues following Sigurd around to the next door.

15. - Top - End - #75

Armina

After a moment, a quizzical expression crosses Armina's face. "Wait, you broke in? See, that works well, because we are mostly interested in breaking out of this place. Apparently, someone thought locking us up would be fun. This crown you want, though, I've not heard of. Still, the whole treasure thing sounds good."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Hadozee don't sweat. Doesn't work well with the shaggy fur thing. But if Bala could sweat, she'd be doing it now. None of these doors seemed to be leading anywhere useful, and her fabulous, wonderful book was god knows where!

She stayed close with Sigurd and worked hard to keep her big mouth shut.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Darkened Light

The three sneaks sneak some more, only to find that the next room is more of the same. The large lizardman -- who still hasn't noticed their movement -- considers for a moment before scoffing and leaving the fat elf. He sheathes his weapon and approaches Mary and Armina. "You seem trustworthy enough. Help me find my crown, and I will help you escape. If I know anything about your captors, I think we have a common enemy."

From the room that the five originally came, there is an ethereal voice, like light personified. "Yes. I think you do." There are five figures. Three look like the ugliest guards you've ever seen, the other two are a bit more interesting. One is completely covered in a gray cloak -- not even his or her or its face is uncovered. The other is in a jet cloak, and this person is quite striking. It looks like its body is made completely of light, and its head floats above its cloaked shoulders1. Beams of light try to escape the slivered gaps of his black robes.

Spoiler
    Show

1Knowledge: The Planes - DC 13
    Spoiler
    Show

It is a Lumi, literal warriors of Light from the Positive Energy Plane. Their numbers are few, but they constantly fight the creatures of the Negative Energy Plane.
    Knowledge: The Planes - DC 18 (use same roll)
    Spoiler
    Show

They hate people who lie and deceive and will usually kill them on sight. They would invade the Material Plane to purge it of every single liar if only they had the proper numbers. They put their own code of honesty and truth ahead of the well-being of others.
    Knowledge: The Planes - DC 23 (use same roll)
    Spoiler
    Show

You know what their society is like and their battle tactics. Check out MM3, page 99 for details. Otherwise, they're available by request.

18. - Top - End - #78

Upon hearing a new voice enter the room, Sigurd turns to look the new arrivals over, still trying to stay out of sight. If they don't notice him, he'll continue forwards to the next door. ((Z5))

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Mary

Uhmm,” she drawled in the common tongue before realizing she was gawking at an angel.

Diplomacy with one of the lizardfolk had been an experience teetering into the unknown. Talking to a being of light so divine that it's body shone was nothing short of miraculous to her. It was so far beyond her sphere of knowledge that she knew no other option than to fall back unto her ungainly training of all things domestic. She certainly didn't know what else to do.

In Celestial she nervously announced, “Hello and welcome, noble guests, to my – our, home. Continent. Plane of existence.”

Mary plucked the edges of her shirt at each side, and did a curtsy that could only have looked awkward outside of a dress. She realized she probably appeared more like she was stupidly picking lint than offering a greeting. Armina was endlessly envied in that moment for her clothes, but the would-be hostess pressed on regardless.

I'm Mary, and this is my friend Armina, and, and I'm afraid I can't offer you a meal or shelter or...and...but, how can we help you? H..have I done something to offend my goddess?”

She outwardly cringed at the thought.

20. - Top - End - #80

Armina

Unimpressed by the unknown creature's light show, Armina sizes it up, and doesn't like what she sees. "So, should I believe that you are our captors? Because I am definitely getting that impression. Perhaps I am mistaken." The way she says it, she clearly has few doubts as to whether she is right or now.

She maintains a mostly neutral stance, but is clearly ready to act, whether it be striking, or running. The nervous energy is starting to show. Too many unknowns. Have to trust someone, but who? The people from the cell? The Lizard? This new shiny person? No, not him. Wait, is it even a him? Bah, no matter. I'll take my chances with the others, even if they are running away.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Default A Prelude to Plot

In a voice that is less than reassuring, the en-lightened one says, "I assure you, Mary -- I am not an agent of Estanna. And I have never been your captor, Armina. In fact, you are free to go after I complete my test. I daresay that you will be seeking me out once I finish." He nods towards his fully cloaked associate, who begins to chant something in a rough voice.

The lizardfolk hisses deeply and once again brandishes his sword. "Do not listen to a word this thing says! He spouts sweet sayings that leave nothing but a bitter taste in your mouth." The fat elf begins to crawl and then stumble toward the large opening opposite of the others ((around the Z-column)). He doesn't seem to take notice of Sigurd and the others sneaking about.

Sigurd opens another door, and this seems to lead into a narrow hallway -- if only a rock slide had not filled in the path1.

Spoiler
    Show

My apologies, Proven_Paradox, for being rockblocked! You'll find a good exit yet!

22. - Top - End - #82

Armina

Something about the phrasing, and the word test, leaves Armina far less than reassured, she says softly to the lizard "Fight, or run?"

To the glowing being, she asks "And just what test would this be, pray tell?"

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff check, since she is not exactly really interested in the answer to the question, (1d20-1)[17]. Oh, for a better Cha right about now... Though that roll works well!
    Last edited by Dreamshifter; 2008-11-24 at 02:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Carefully observing the light-being and its companions, Bala presses back against the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (the planes) (1d20+4)[16]

Quietly, she tries to work things out in her head. She mutters quietly, "What in blazes would a Lumi be doing here?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-11-24 at 10:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jaxon

"A what?" Jaxon thinks without speaking. He gives Bala a puzzled look, but continues moving around the perimeter of the room as stealthily as he can. He moves to a hiding position near the exit that the elf took.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Mary

Mary wasn't comfortable with the odd chanting from the cloaked creature, but still found herself mystified by the being of light. She stared at it with open wonder, both awe-like and curious. She was not sure what to think about the angel not being sent by Estanna. There was no reason she would attract angel attention of another god. It must be the marble. Or the other prisoners, she decided. She stayed quiet then, apprehensive but more inclined to listen to a celestial being over the lizard man.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm bet this is some kind of spell that forces us to do a quest. But I feel sorry for Paradox; all those rooms and no exit. But the elf is running to the one that's next in line, so it must be a way out.

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't feel sorry for me--I'm just along for the ride. Sigurd is the one who's getting pissed off.

Sigurd's frown deepens as he reveals the hallway, and his eyes drift once again to the group. Noting the fat elf trying to get away, he smirks grimly. He waves to the others and points to the door that the elf had gone through before he begins creeping towards it.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Question Choices

"The test has already begun, Armina." The light being smiles as he signals his guard friends. They look like they are about to engage you in combat1.

His cloaked friend continues to chant. There is no sense of magic, arcane or otherwise, in its words. "Let's see now -- do you... feel anything?" The five of you feel an inkling of power coming from your core, like something uncorked an inert, and innate, part of your being2. You are sure it isn't immediately harmful, but it also is unlike anything you've felt before.

Spoiler
    Show

1Please roll initiative and choose a start-of-combat location:

Hold off on combat actions until I've stated the consequences of the Will save below, though free actions like speaking are fine.
    2You may choose to roll a Will save to resist whatever the effects are. Please note that choosing not to roll the save is a viable option as it leads to consequences different than failing the roll.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Choosing to trust the angelic creature - and figuring that her situation couldn't get much worse, Bala tries to relax and let the feeling move through her. She hisses back to Jaxon.

It's a...an angel of sorts. Whatever else, you can trust what it says is true.

Spoiler
    Show
    Choosing not to save. If we've been sneaking along the north wall, and gotten to the third door, Bala would be roughly at U4, give or take 5' at your discretion.

29. - Top - End - #89

Armina

"Feel anything? No, I can't say that I do."

Spoiler
    Show

Will save (1d20+6)[10]
    Bluff check (1d20-1)[16], in case the will save is unsuccessful.

Starting location N10

30. - Top - End - #90

"Bullsh*t." Sigurd hisses at Bala's words, as quietly as he can manage. Power welling up from nowhere and a creature made of light--that knew their names even! The whole thing stinks. ((Initiating Moment of Perfect Mind to replace a will save with a concentration check. Expending psionic focus to take 15 on concentration; resulting check is 25.))