New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 130 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 117

Another thing we need to consider is this: At present, it is beneficial for Parson that Ansom remains the leader of the RCC. Parson knows a lot about Ansom, how he thinks, how he likes to conduct battles... he can predict his actions with a reasonably high degree of success. However, whoever the second in command of the RCC is, I think it's a good bet that Parson doesn't have as good a scouting report on them. If Ansom dies, the coalition may break. But if it doesn't , Parson is forced to fight an opponent that he knows relatively little about, strategically. Being able to more or less anticipate Ansom's moves has been one of Parson's most effective weapons. Without it, this battle will become a lot harder.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Don't forget the added psychological pressure on Ansom in regards to the "Boop the torpedoes, full speed ahead" strategy:

His lover and his confidant were in battle preceding this and he knows they lost. They may not be croaked but they didn't succeed and he has no idea if either of them are still alive.

It's all falling apart but a dying giant can still crush you as it falls. The next few strips could be quite unpleasant for everyone involved.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, here some reasons why this attack right now could be a good idea:
    Parson is weak now. Weaker than for a few turns. He has croaked a lot of units, but he had losses to. Marbits and Golems, maybe spiders and knights. His Dirtamancer and his Croakamancer presumably have no juice now, probably his thinkamancer, too. The next turn they will be fully healed, and Stanley will return. Then Ansom can only react and wait until the uncroaked will decay. This is the last turn where Ansom has the initiative.
    Waiting is probably a bad idea. Never give Parson time. Also, the coalition is costy. I always guessed that sides have some extra cost if they ally or that they have to pay increased upkeep if their units are in foreign territory. It maybe cheaper to attack now and rebuild the troops than paying increased upkeep for more turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    I think the main point is that Ansoms didn't seal another deal with Charlie, this turn.
    That leaves a lot of options open to Charlie and Parson, like surprise attacks, and last-minute rescue-missions.
    It leaves a lot open to Charlie. but Charlie has told Parson he want the artifact, badly enough to kill Parson to get it. Charlie sent enough Archon to take GK probably to bully Parson into taking the offer, but also so they could take the artifact from Parson, if Parson resisted.

I just don't think Parson is going to windup working for Charlie. Charlie is weird and mysterious and a lot of time has been spent on Lord Tool, so I don't see him going away. Though, I think Charlie might attack GK if he sees an opportunity.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

My theory:

Ansom attacks the walls and gains a foothold, some Coalition units following him up and he either fails to completely take the walls this turn (assuming there's some limit to the amount of combat that can take place during a turn) or he takes the walls and begins moving units up. Next turn Stanley arrives with his Dwagons and deals with the remainder of the siege (all nice and huddled together in a way that would make them conveniently vulnerable to AoE attacks), trapping the units on the walls. Coalition disbands and leaves the survivors behind and things get messy inside GK.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eraniverse View Post
    Don't forget the added psychological pressure on Ansom in regards to the "Boop the torpedoes, full speed ahead" strategy:

His lover and his confidant were in battle preceding this and he knows they lost. They may not be croaked but they didn't succeed and he has no idea if either of them are still alive.

It's all falling apart but a dying giant can still crush you as it falls. The next few strips could be quite unpleasant for everyone involved.
    Point of fact, he has no way of knowing whether Jillian and the Transylvitans made contact with Stanley's stack. All he knows is that Stanley survived. It's entirely possible, from Ansom's PoV, that FAQ wasn't the destination after all and Stanley has simply vanished into the fog of war.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2008-11-12 at 02:05 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    Okay, here some reasons why this attack right now could be a good idea:
    Parson is weak now. Weaker than for a few turns. He has croaked a lot of units, but he had losses to. Marbits and Golems, maybe spiders and knights. His Dirtamancer and his Croakamancer presumably have no juice now, probably his thinkamancer, too. The next turn they will be fully healed, and Stanley will return. Then Ansom can only react and wait until the uncroaked will decay. This is the last turn where Ansom has the initiative.
    Waiting is probably a bad idea. Never give Parson time. Also, the coalition is costy. I always guessed that sides have some extra cost if they ally or that they have to pay increased upkeep if their units are in foreign territory. It maybe cheaper to attack now and rebuild the troops than paying increased upkeep for more turns.
    He is NOT weaker given the addition of a sizable contingent of uncroaked units.

Also, we don't know exactly how much juice Wanda has left. It has been established that she is an experienced and capable caster.

Why do you think that Maggie should have little energy left?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Point of fact, he has no way of knowing whether Jillian and the Transylvitans made contact with Stanley's stack. All he knows is that Stanley survived. It's entirely possible, from Ansom's PoV, that FAQ wasn't the destination after all and Stanley ahs simply vanished into the fog of war.
    For that matter, he had no way of knowing that they survived the erf-shattering kaboom at Gobwin Knob.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's a thought\random prediction: if Ansom is captured and Thinkamancy can modify Loyalty scores... I believe it would make for some interesting gametime for Vinnie and Jillian.

And I wonder if "brain-lashed" is a specific term, as opposed to/derived from brainwashed. Thinkamancy again, perhaps?
    There are thousands of good reasons magic doesn't rule the world. They're called mages. - Slightly misquoted Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    For that matter, he had no way of knowing that they survived the erf-shattering kaboom at Gobwin Knob.
    I've been wondering about that . . . we've seen no communications between Ansom and the ambush team, so he may have no way of knowing if Jillian or Vinnie survived. He knows Stanley survived because his turn ended without GK going neutral, which is definitely NOT a good sign. But the psychological stress of losing his best commander / friend to a necromancer and possibly his lover as well will make him likely to pull incredible blunders.

But then, in the best anime tradition, this may give him the wherewithall to make those incredible faces that allow the heroes to win . . .
    The Truth Will Set You Free. But First, It Will Piss You Off.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    He is NOT weaker given the addition of a sizable contingent of uncroaked units.
    True, but today he is weaker than tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Also, we don't know exactly how much juice Wanda has left. It has been established that she is an experienced and capable caster.
    Why do you think that Maggie should have little energy left?
    That is just wild guessing. I assume that the strength of the newly uncroaked units is dependent on how skilled the mancer is and how much juice he invested and therefore think Wanda invested as lot as possible. Parson used Maggie do contact Jack and relay orders to Sizemore in the battle.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Not directly, no.

However, the Don agrees to the plan for the alliance, which requires at least for Vinnie to survive, and it's likely that he'd have questions for Jillian since it's her information that leads to the plan.

Also, his commanders question the air force's survival, which doesn't phase him. Given how he feels about Jill and Vinnie, his lack of response suggests that he's aware they lived but isn't allowing himself to be sidetracked by the alliance commanders.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Some random thought: Doe we know that Ansom attacks alone? If he takes his fliers with him he has a good chance. Especially because his artifact-bonus stacks.
    ― Joseph Stalin

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by randomnondescri View Post
    It's too soon in the comic for the major antagonist to be killed.
    Too soon? We're talking about a comic that was supposed to only take 70 or 80 pages to tell back when it started; we're a long way past that, even if you discount the Klogs! I don't see any problem at all with Ansom croaking it here, story-wise.

15. - Top - End - #105

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Also, his commanders question the air force's survival, which doesn't phase him. Given how he feels about Jill and Vinnie, his lack of response suggests that he's aware they lived but isn't allowing himself to be sidetracked by the alliance commanders.
    Likely because the stack moves out of GK airspace of its own volition rather than engaging until dead as a leaderless stack would.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by randomnondescri View Post
    (assuming that this is a serious prediction and not just tossed out there randomly).

It's too soon in the comic for the major antagonist to be killed. My guess is that this scene will be where we we see Ansom become a real threat. Thus far, he's only mattered because he seems to have enough leadership skills to put together and lead an allied army... I think we'll finally see that Ansom is someone to be reckoned with in his own right, which should give a little ooph to his role as antagonist in the comic.
    Actually, it's not. It's coming toward the end of Part 1. It's almost the end of THIS battle. I think that killing Ansom would give Parson's Ultimate Warlord status a bit more... ooomf. We're not sure what part 2 is going to be, but we are going to resolve Part 1, and Ansom's a little bit 1-D, so if he gets a one way ticket to the City of Heros, not that disapointing to me.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

He could always capture and ransom him, too. Parson doesn't strike me as someone to kill a captured enemy out of vindictiveness. (Now, Stanley on the other hand...)

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    He could always capture and ransom him, too. Parson doesn't strike me as someone to kill a captured enemy out of vindictiveness. (Now, Stanley on the other hand...)
    Surely he would wish to gloat?

19. - Top - End - #109

PirateGuy

So... who ever said Ansom was the primary antagonist for the comic? For the chapter, perhaps, but he could just be a speed bump in the overall scheme of things.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

If Ansom gets captured he gets mind-controlled a new-shiny sword of leadership boosting, and a promotion to cheif warlord. Parson is demoted to advisor/handler to the brain-washed chief warlord. Then GK gets a massive uber-bonus from Ansom.

I don't think Ansom should be the main antagonist either. He isn't all that interesting, he isn't clever enough to fight Parson. All he has going for him is heir, artifact, and chief warlord of Jetstone. I mean even Webinar did a better job than Ansom, as he said "attack the walls", and "have someone better lead the tunnel strike."
    Last edited by Lamech; 2008-11-12 at 04:49 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramien View Post
    So... who ever said Ansom was the primary antagonist for the comic? For the chapter, perhaps, but he could just be a speed bump in the overall scheme of things.
    One of the things I've liked about the TBfGK is the sense that all the characters are stuck in a role they have no control over. Even those above duty and loyalty have their part to play. With Parson this is obvious, he's under a powerful loyalty spell. Others can be dismissed by a thought. Yet, there is this sense that something greater is going on and all the characters are just reacting to the events that proceeded them. The exception to this seems to be Charlie, which makes him a danger indeed.
    Kasavin-

Scholar, Gamer, and Connoisseur of Web Comics

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeouch. I have a feeling this is Ansom's final hurrah. He's charging into a battle out numbered, with no good avenues of retreat (up into Charlie who wants his tool, or back into his own forces thus showing defeat and ending splintering the RCC) and no immediete backup.
    ALso i'm having trouble seeing Parson avoid working for Charlie and staying alive. With the Archon cloud Charlie has parson dead to rights considering he gets to act first ergo no Stanley coming in as the cavalry. And i'm positive Parson recoginizes this.
    Last edited by jindra34; 2008-11-12 at 05:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    I don't think Ansom should be the main antagonist either. He isn't all that interesting, he isn't clever enough to fight Parson. All he has going for him is heir, artifact, and chief warlord of Jetstone. I mean even Webinar did a better job than Ansom, as he said "attack the walls", and "have someone better lead the tunnel strike."
    Oh, I think Ansom does fine as a warlord. His plans have been rock solid and his flaws have been underestimating the brilliance of his opponent, though to be fair he expected to confront Stanley not Parson. What Parson has done is counted on Ansom taking the obvious best plan and come up with the best counters imaginable. Sure Ansom is overly careful about not losing troops, but I don't think for a second Parson couldn't have a field day with a more "reckless" commander.
    Kasavin-

Scholar, Gamer, and Connoisseur of Web Comics

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Who else than Ansom could be a good antagonist? Charley? He hasn't the work ethic to be a good villain. If Charley doesn't get what he wants at reasonable cost he just walks away. A good antagonist does something stupid and fights to the dead. Ansom definitly has proven his skills in that regard. And he is a serious danger with believable motivations.
    Wild guessing: maybe the view will change and an enemy of Stanley & Parson will become the protagonist of the next chapter, with Lord Hamster as unstoppable and feared enemy warlord.
    ― Joseph Stalin

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Kasavin View Post
    Oh, I think Ansom does fine as a warlord. His plans have been rock solid and his flaws have been underestimating the brilliance of his opponent, though to be fair he expected to confront Stanley not Parson. What Parson has done is counted on Ansom taking the obvious best plan and come up with the best counters imaginable. Sure Ansom is overly careful about not losing troops, but I don't think for a second Parson couldn't have a field day with a more "reckless" commander.
    He's capable, but he still is an Erfworlder and far less experienced and knowledgeable, in a sense, than Parson. But don't forget he also would have been captured handily in Parson's first failed plan were it not for Vinny.

He also let other matters affect his decision to send Webinar as the leader of the tunnel forces. True, his decision was based on faulty intelligence, but after the dwagon-donut situation and now the loss of the tunnels, he should realize that Parson is a devious and dangerous opponent. There were other ways of handling Duke Nozzle's outburst.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    Who else than Ansom could be a good antagonist? Charley? He hasn't the work ethic to be a good villain. If Charley doesn't get what he wants at reasonable cost he just walks away. A good antagonist does something stupid and fights to the dead. Ansom definitly has proven his skills in that regard. And he is a serious danger with believable motivations.
    Wild guessing: maybe the view will change and an enemy of Stanley & Parson will become the protagonist of the next chapter, with Lord Hamster as unstoppable and feared enemy warlord.
    well lets see, Stanley fits the bill quite well... Jillian might if she gets her kingdom back..

27. - Top - End - #117

So an idea about what might come about after this turn...

The authors have made a big deal about Ansom not being attuned to his Arkenpliers. This suggests that someone might be able to attune to them. So who might that be?

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the only special ability of the Arkenpliers that we know about (aside from general potency as a weapon) is their strength against Uncroaked. Maybe this affinity goes both ways?

Could a Croakamancer possibly be able to make full use of them?

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Angband View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the only special ability of the Arkenpliers that we know about (aside from general potency as a weapon) is their strength against Uncroaked. Maybe this affinity goes both ways?

Could a Croakamancer possibly be able to make full use of them?
    Wanda and the arkenpliers... now that is fun speculation, especially considering that Wanda's motivations are still unknown.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    ...good God. I just realised something. These weak zombies... they are just like the Doombats and the way Vinnie describes them. Unled, they are real weak, but with a Warlord bonus, they are more like basic infantry. Having the Chief Warlord in the hex adds another bonus, making them more like advanced infantry... and if Parson himself leads a stack with his sword...

All these weenie zombies. They're not cannon fodder. They're a meat grinder. Ansom will need the Arkenpliers, and if he can't handle them all, Titans help his troops when they go past the wall and into the zombies.
    while this post was made a while ago, no one seems to have noticed the mistake: Parson has a lame bonus. that means that Parson leading an attack wouldn't work, his bonus just isnt powerful enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    while this post was made a while ago, no one seems to have noticed the mistake: Parson has a lame bonus. that means that Parson leading an attack wouldn't work, his bonus just isnt powerful enough.
    People are assuming, I believe, that the completed sword boosts his bonus to put it on par with his strategic and tactical skills, comparable to other chief warlords. There's no canonical reason to believe this, but it makes sense; the Stupid Meal mentions "completing the summoning spell" or "correcting the summoning spell's mistakes" or something of the sort.