New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Rules Questions

1. - Top - End - #571
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Rules Questions

Background cards-I can't find anything in the rules book about them. I think I must be overlooking the listing, but I spent at least an hour on Wednesday trying to find anything that says when or how you get the Background cards.

Any pointers (or to the rule book page) would be helpful.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hi guys.

We have a particular issue that arose in our game last night. After Xykon was defeated, V, Haley and Durkon were all left in his room (on the 4th floor, with only three rooms on it; the safe haven and two Xykon's secret layers). V moved first, using the gourd to enhance his speed and left that layer, using the Emergency Exit on the 3rd floor to move directly to the Dungeon Entrance and removing one of the three 4th floor rooms. It was Haley's turn next, but she was left with removing either the room with the only stairs out, or the room in which Durkon was still stood.

In that situation, what happens? Does the room with Durkon still in it get removed? If so, what happens to Durkon, is he trapped down there, or does he get moved to the last remaining room on that floor?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think I remember seeing this situation in the rulebook. Durkon's room would get taken out and Durkon himself would just move to the next room over if I recall. I think there was an example in the rulebook somewhere on the dungeon collapsing that had Roy do that several times before it got to be his turn. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the game in front of me, but that sounds right.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    I think I remember seeing this situation in the rulebook. Durkon's room would get taken out and Durkon himself would just move to the next room over if I recall. I think there was an example in the rulebook somewhere on the dungeon collapsing that had Roy do that several times before it got to be his turn. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the game in front of me, but that sounds right.
    That would be the correct answer.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Simple question but I've spent some time searching and can't find an answer. Do non-battle schticks stack or do you only get the boost effect from having multiple copies in play?

A specific example is Haley's Sneak Attack. If she has all three copies in play *and* both her longbows is her defense +7 and her attack +7 at range 0? Or does it only become d+5/a+5?

To put it another way does she get the +1/+1 from the second and third Sneak Attacks in addition to the boost effect? Or does she only get +1/+1 from the first Sneak Attack and then only the boost effect from the 2nd and 3rd ones.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Halfling in the Playground

I played this game for the first time yesterday as Vaarsuvius, and had no idea for what strategies would work best for V. I ended up starting out with "Fireball", "Right Spell for the Job", and the one where she talks everyone to sleep for my starting Shticks. None of us were entirely sure how the rules would apply for my defensive shtick, and we agreed that if I fought two monsters and won my defense against the first, causing a Draw, then I could still choose to attack the next monster in the stack. My first question is whether or not that is an accurate ruling. But this developed into an interesting strategy that I also want to ask about, because it turned out to be extremely useful and I hope it was actually correct. After defending against the first monster successfully I would cast Fireball offensively against the second monster, and we decided that because the spell had an Area effect that it would hit both monsters anyway. I used this on the second floor to great effect by entering an empty room, defending, and then defeating both monsters and collecting the loot, then resting to gain back Fireball and my health point. Was this a valid strategy, or does it break any of the rules?

Spellblade

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Starlight View Post
    None of us were entirely sure how the rules would apply for my defensive shtick, and we agreed that if I fought two monsters and won my defense against the first, causing a Draw, then I could still choose to attack the next monster in the stack. My first question is whether or not that is an accurate ruling.
    It is not an accurate ruling. Page 15 of the rulebook, emphasis mine: "If you won the battle and there are additional Monsters in the same room, you may choose to battle the next Monster in the Battle Stack." Page 14 clarifies that if you use a Battle Shtick that results in a draw even if you win the battle, then you should treat the battle as a draw if you win (or if you draw). Page 15 clarifies that you may not continue to battle Monsters one after the other if a battle is a draw.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hello,

I tried to browse for it but did not find, sorry if it has been asked / answered before.

I understand you can't Range Attack if you have moved, cannot Range Attack if there are monsters with me in my room and can also make only 1 Ranged Attack per turn. But what if:

I start the turn in a room with X monster(s). I fight and kill the X monster(s). May I then, having not moved, being in a monsterless room, make a Ranged Attack at another room's monster?

Regards,

9. - Top - End - #579
    Pixie in the Playground

My copy of the game came without the simplified 8-page rule book. Is there a way I can get an image or a hard copy of it without having to buy the game again?

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anaesthesia View Post
    Background cards-I can't find anything in the rules book about them. I think I must be overlooking the listing, but I spent at least an hour on Wednesday trying to find anything that says when or how you get the Background cards.

Any pointers (or to the rule book page) would be helpful.
    Backgrounds are not used in the basic game, but are part of The Shortening. The folded instruction sheet for that game has the details. Iirc you deal each person 5 cards, then they look at them and keep three, discarding two (You can certainly use them in the basic game if you are so inclined).

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Starlight View Post
    I played this game for the first time yesterday as Vaarsuvius, and had no idea for what strategies would work best for V. I ended up starting out with "Fireball", "Right Spell for the Job", and the one where she talks everyone to sleep for my starting Shticks. None of us were entirely sure how the rules would apply for my defensive shtick, and we agreed that if I fought two monsters and won my defense against the first, causing a Draw, then I could still choose to attack the next monster in the stack. My first question is whether or not that is an accurate ruling. But this developed into an interesting strategy that I also want to ask about, because it turned out to be extremely useful and I hope it was actually correct. After defending against the first monster successfully I would cast Fireball offensively against the second monster, and we decided that because the spell had an Area effect that it would hit both monsters anyway. I used this on the second floor to great effect by entering an empty room, defending, and then defeating both monsters and collecting the loot, then resting to gain back Fireball and my health point. Was this a valid strategy, or does it break any of the rules?
    Also, as page 18 says, when using area effect Shticks, you pick the highest defense value in the area of your Shtick and use that for the combat (Elan's poorly planned illusion affects all monsters in the stack; V's fireball affects the top two monsters in the stack, unless it's been boosted). Your Fireball Shtick targets the highest defense of the monsters in its area (top two monsters). Did you remember to take one wound off of V each time you use the Fireball Shtick against monsters in the same room as you?

Quote Originally Posted by akroknymn View Post
    Simple question but I've spent some time searching and can't find an answer. Do non-battle schticks stack or do you only get the boost effect from having multiple copies in play?

A specific example is Haley's Sneak Attack. If she has all three copies in play *and* both her longbows is her defense +7 and her attack +7 at range 0? Or does it only become d+5/a+5?

To put it another way does she get the +1/+1 from the second and third Sneak Attacks in addition to the boost effect? Or does she only get +1/+1 from the first Sneak Attack and then only the boost effect from the 2nd and 3rd ones.
    Multiple copies of shticks do not stack, but the "top" copy is boosted by the other copies you have in play.

So the "top" Longbow Stick is boosted by the other Longbows you have in play (granting +1 Def and +1 Range for each extra copy if I remember correctly), and the Sneak Attack shtick is boosted by the other copies in play (which I seem to recall adds +1 Att for each extra copy).

You only flip one copy of a flippable shtick when you use it, though. If V has 3 Fireball shticks, the first one she casts will have an ATT of 5 and an area of 4 monsters. One Fireball shtick will then get flipped, and the next fireball she casts will have an ATT of 5 and an area of 3 monsters.

Does this answer your question?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2013-08-28 at 04:30 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #581
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Hopefully this is a simple question with a simple answer. Durkon's shtick, "Take Yer Medicine," states that after you have flipped your "Cure Assorted Wounds" shtick, they must give a loot to you. Is that on addition to the one from "Cure Assorted Wounds?"

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

No, I think. It's not an extra loot. It's just your way of forcing them to pay you for healing their wounds unasked.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2013-08-28 at 03:04 PM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #583
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It's not technically a rules question, but what would be a good situation to use Durkon's Awfully Lawful shtick?

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MtlGuy View Post
    It's not technically a rules question, but what would be a good situation to use Durkon's Awfully Lawful shtick?
    Ever been in one of those situations where a bad roll would be debilitating, but you don't actually need a particularly good roll to win? This is the card for that. Just do the math in your head, if you only need a 4 to win, skip the chance of failure (potentially up to 25% if a 3 would fail), embrace your Lawful nature and beat the snot out of your enemies with mediocrity.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

If a player has a sticky monster stuck to them, and is reduced to zero wounds and forced to flee the dungeon, does the monster get dragged along with them? All the way to the dungeon entrance? What about if the monster gets unstuck at the entrance, does it stay there, triggering battles if players return to the surface?

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

I was playing and noticed that forgotten bonus (screw this) that makes one ability not active can be used on Xykon. That seems a little unfair, and I was wondering if that is actually allowed. Thanks!
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MtlGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belril Duskwalk View Post
    Ever been in one of those situations where a bad roll would be debilitating, but you don't actually need a particularly good roll to win? This is the card for that. Just do the math in your head, if you only need a 4 to win, skip the chance of failure (potentially up to 25% if a 3 would fail), embrace your Lawful nature and beat the snot out of your enemies with mediocrity.
    Just played the first time last weekend, but actually happened across this card.

We thought its intent was to hinder other players... likely force them to lose a battle. Because I thought it said the card could apply to ANY attack (not just one of yours).

ETA: Of course, now that I think about it more, it was a Shtick, right (not a Screw This)?? Well, another situation might be that you are in an obligated battle, and you DON'T want to win -- Exploding Monster... too much loot to be dropped by others in the stack... too many players too close by...? Ok, I'm stretching here...
    Last edited by SteveDJ; 2014-02-11 at 11:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey all, finally played through an entire first game. There were several things that came up that didn't have a clear answer to us and a quick search online didn't provide answers.

First, there is a loot that says when discarded all weapon schticks are boosted for the turn. But doesn't say how much the boost is. Is there a default boost of +1 or +2 in the game?

Second, When fighting Xykon and you defeat him, the rules say that the game immediately freezes and you start the steps for the collapsing dungeon. What happens to the rest of the monsters in the Battle Stack with him? Since the game freezes and the first step is that all monsters run away, does that mean after you defeat Xykon the rest of the monsters in the stack run away and you don't have to fight them? Also, does the players turn resume as normal allowing him to pick up loot for defeating the last monster in the room (since the others fled)? And, does the player that defeats Xykon remove a dungeon room too, or does the next player remove the first room?

Third, just trying to clarify, you can equip any loot that you Drool over, right? Not just useable items? So like the Impressive Scar can be equipped even though it doesn't do anything?

Fourth, can Area of Effects be used for defense? Specifically, Durkon's Thor's Might schtick (from the Shortening deck). Lets his Thor's Hammer become and AoE, since you can use the hammer for attack and defense, if I defend against the top monster can I apply my roll to the next two monsters too?

19. - Top - End - #589
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf147 View Post
    First, there is a loot that says when discarded all weapon schticks are boosted for the turn. But doesn't say how much the boost is. Is there a default boost of +1 or +2 in the game?
    All cards that can be boosted have a "Boost: yadda yadda yadda" at the bottom. When a card is boosted, you apply (for each boost) the effect there. For example for each boost, Belkar's Twin Daggers of Doom deal an extra wound (in the base game only matters against other players).

Second, When fighting Xykon and you defeat him, the rules say that the game immediately freezes and you start the steps for the collapsing dungeon. What happens to the rest of the monsters in the Battle Stack with him? Since the game freezes and the first step is that all monsters run away, does that mean after you defeat Xykon the rest of the monsters in the stack run away and you don't have to fight them? Also, does the players turn resume as normal allowing him to pick up loot for defeating the last monster in the room (since the others fled)? And, does the player that defeats Xykon remove a dungeon room too, or does the next player remove the first room?
    Yes, they run away. Yes, the player can pick some loot. IIRC the next player is the one to remove a room.
    Third, just trying to clarify, you can equip any loot that you Drool over, right? Not just useable items? So like the Impressive Scar can be equipped even though it doesn't do anything?
    Yes, IIRC.
    Fourth, can Area of Effects be used for defense? Specifically, Durkon's Thor's Might schtick (from the Shortening deck). Lets his Thor's Hammer become and AoE, since you can use the hammer for attack and defense, if I defend against the top monster can I apply my roll to the next two monsters too?
    Don't have that so don't know.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

20. - Top - End - #590

AssassinGuy

A question come up that I can't seem to find a direct answer for.

If a player defeats an Exploding Monster in combat, and there remains other monsters in the room (that are subsequently defeated by the explosion), does the monsters (other than the first one that the player actually slain directly) get saved by the player as exp? Does it give loot in this fashion as well?
    Last edited by Menarker; 2014-03-10 at 10:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

good question. I'd like to know the official answer to that too.

I've been playing that you keep the xp for only the monster you directly kill, but they all drop treasure.

22. - Top - End - #592

AssassinGuy

Nevermind. I was referred to it here.

Turns out no exp is awarded for either the exploding monster or the monsters it slay in the process.

A little embarrassing I missed that since I have that sheet at home. I guess I glazed over it. Ah well.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

OK, you don't get the xp, but what about the loot?

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, the loot drops as normal.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Do boosted shticks count twice? For example, if you have 2 sneak attacks, do you get the plus 2 attack and plus 1 defense from one, or do you get it from both, for 4 and 2?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #596

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Do boosted shticks count twice? For example, if you have 2 sneak attacks, do you get the plus 2 attack and plus 1 defense from one, or do you get it from both, for 4 and 2?
    No, you only get the Boost bonus from Shticks beyond the first one. So, if you have two copies, the Shtick is boosted once. If you have three copies, it is boosted twice.

I hope that this clarifies the situation.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

27. - Top - End - #597
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Can you use a screw this card which says can be played at any time to boost a schtick that was flipped earlier that same turn? Specifically, playing Get Angry to remove the wound from Halfing Rage?

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Can you use a screw this card which says can be played at any time to boost a schtick that was flipped earlier that same turn? Specifically, playing Get Angry to remove the wound from Halfing Rage?
    First of all, I do not believe you can boost flipped schticks.
    Secondly, even if you could, it would not do anyhing because the schtick was already used. The boost happens when the schtick is activated.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi all, I'm sorry if this has been asked or is self evident. If a card has a boost ability say foe loses +1 wound if they are a player, then does this boost apply even if the player playing it loses or draws or do they have to win the battle to have the boost applied? Thank you for any help.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

They have to win in order for the extra wound boost to be in effect. I'm not certain if that situation is explicitly addressed, but since you only inflict wounds if you win, I think it's a logical conclusion.