New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitch Black IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Pitch Black IC

((Welcome to Pitch Black))

The has begun to set over the hills to the West. After travelling for some time you have reached the blasted landscape you have sought. The soil seems charred and blackened, devoid of life. Crumbling pillars and sculptures decorate the dreary, burnt panorama. Several buildings are still standing...barely... Towards the center of the abandoned city a huge circular building dominates the view. It seems to draw all attention to itself. The building, like all the others (if you can call them buildings anymore) in this metropolis are made of stone (probably granite) and wood. The statues so strangley placed resemble moments of everyday life mixed with sheer terror, faces contorted with pain. Ivy has invaded many of the buildings, somehow clinging to life in this sterile area of destruction. You must look strange to any life still left, a group of strangers clad in iron and silk, willingly here, looking for evidence of it's destruction. A thought climbs in to your heads,
    a strange sort of sympathy and fear.

It has arrived...
    Last edited by Ertier; 2008-11-16 at 10:00 AM.
    Credit to Mr_Saturn for the fantastic avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pitch Black IC

(( For talking OOC, use these double parenthese, we will wait for everyone to check in [on this thread], in the meantime, feel free to explore the city, ask questions, introduce yourself and talk to your companions, though no plot central events will ocur...))

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Celine walks nervously through the city, singing a song she learned as a child to help keep herself calm. She approaches a statue of a woman carrying a basket. "Who are you? Did you you used to be real?" she says quietly to it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Iviana

It had been a long, dreary, and dusty trip, but the end was finally in sight. These were a peculiar bunch - three very different elves, the curiously intense dwarf, and the young Celine. Conversations around the campfire most evenings had been - quiet.

In the city, Iviana gazed at the statues, the abandoned buildings. The contrast between the stately buildings and the haphazard placement of people wasn't lost on her.

She pointed at the circular building in the distance.

Call me crazy, but I'm guessing that's where we'll find Nine answers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore check - on anything she'd know about what this city was pre-Eclipse. Name, major focus, notable events, etc. (1d20+6)[18]
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-11-16 at 08:01 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

((Nine already recruited you...))

Toliudar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't know much, only that you've never heard of it. The architecture hints that the city was probably Elven or Human/Elven mix. The statues really freak you out though because they seem more in the style of Orc than anything else (meaning the art, not the statues themselves, which look human).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Orho keeps a watch out for any potential enemies while looking around.

"Well this place certainly seems ruined, I'll keep watch."

Spoiler
    Show

Quick Recconoiter means I get to make 1 perception check per round as a free action. Assume that I do so every round. What attribute is perception working off of?

Perception: (1d20)[19] +12 if it works off Int, +7 if it works off Wis
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Celine runs her hand over the stone womans face. "I wonder what your name was. What were your dreams. How would the world be different if you were not a statue? I guess we will never know." She kisses the statue on the forehead and walks away.
    I wonder if she is alive and can see me

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Asked this in the OOC thread, but didn't get a response:

((What's the pay? What's the goal? Have we met before or are we just a chance group gathered together for our own reasons? I saved out some cash for equipment purchases once Quen had an idea of the job and his companions' supplies, so I'd like a chance to add mundane items we lack. ))

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

((Pay was unspecified, though presumably high. Goal is investigation of the area and the "eclipse". The group has never met outside of recruitment from Nine. Feel free to add those mundane items... waiting on 2 people...))

Tippy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception works off of wisdom... You don't notice much, but some thing bothers you. You feel like you're being watched, the world around you smaller, more cramped. The shadows flicker and wave as though they were ready to jump at you. You wouldn't want to be here at night, though soon, you will have little choice in the matter...

PS. Tippy = Win

Last edited by Ertier; 2008-11-16 at 07:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"What a strange place... perhaps we ought to get some more light. Just a moment." Answell bends down slowly, pretending to search for a rock. He spies one, but at the same time examines the surroundings. It seemed quiet... almost too quiet. "Ah! Here's a good one!" He mutters an incantation under his breath and the rock shines like an extremely radiant torch. He tosses it up onto the highest point he can see so that it illuminates the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a Perception Check to examine my surroundings, so (1d20+8)[12] for Perception (Edit: I forgot about the ability score bonus... that and I need to fix my skill points since I have 6 ranks each in Listen/Search/Spot). Meh. I'll fix it tomorrow. I'll also cast Light on a rock and throw it onto the highest point I can see (any obelisks or conveniently oversized statues around?).
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-11-16 at 07:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Celine hugs herself to stay warm in the waning hours of the day. She paces around the city, looking at the other statues. Other than the moss, there doesn't seem to be anything alive here. That makes her feel sad and a little lonely. Pushing these thoughts aside, Celine rejoins the others. "This place is so empty, so quiet. What do you think happened here."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Iviana

Iv looked back from the dome. Her voice is distant.

The Eclipse, presumably. This is a nowhere kind of town. The statues are unsettling. I do hope that they're not the original occupants. May I suggest that we head over to that large dome, see what's there, and relocate before nightfall?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Celine shivers, then nods. She walks slowly towards the dome. "This place is sad. I would like to leave now and never return."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quen'ilra Nightwind, Wood Elf Ranger

Quen was quiet and thoughtful as usual. Everyone expected elven rangers to be quiet and thoughtful, and keeping up the image meant he could avoid small talk. He had watched and listened as they traveled to this place, slowly getting to know his traveling companions.

By now, they knew that Quen could be depended on to do his part without complaint, and that little disturbed his quiet good humor.

"Well, this is not a pleasant place to spend a holiday, now, is it?" Quen scanned the area for signs of enemies, frequently glancing at the looming statues as he did. "Not my taste in art, either. To the dome, then?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking - (1d20+10)[29]
    [Roll=Perception]1d20+10/roll] edit: 28; the roll is on the OOC thread.
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-11-16 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typos

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Celine is getting very cold now. She approaches Quen and huddles against him. "You're very warm." She pulls his arm around her.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2008-11-17 at 12:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

((Sorry, guys! I forgot to subscribe to this thread.))

Dave trots out from behind the group, the sick feeling having left with the contents of his stomach.
    "Sorry. I don't usually get sick like that."
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Iviana

Iviana smiles, and steps in next to the dwarf.

Indeed you don't, Dave. You strike me more as the type to eat your boots when you have to.

She glances forward at the dome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ertier, can we get any more sense of what the Eclipse has been known to do elsewhere? If it's this big looming catastrophe - what do we know about it?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quen started for a moment when Celine slid up to him and under his arm. His eyes glinted at the thought of a rude joke, but he hesitated. He didn't really know these people all that well, and this sorceress might take offense. He was fond of his body parts, and wanted them all to stay attached and functioning. On the other hand, she was rather attractive...

He unwrapped his woolen cloak from around himself and tucked the edges of it around her, turning to face her as he did. "Better?," he asked, patting her gently on one shoulder.

Turning to the others, he asked, "So, are we off to the dome, then? Shall I lead?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Orho smiles at the elf and says "Nah, you seem quite comfortable. I'll scout it out.

With that he heads off towards the dome, taking pains to move as stealthily as possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+7)[14]
    Hide: [roll]1d20+11[/roll]
    Move Silently: [roll]1d20+11[/roll]
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2008-11-17 at 01:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show

Grr, trying this for the third time.
    Hide: (1d20+11)[23]
    Move Silently: (1d20+11)[28]
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

21. - Top - End - #21

Dave smiles rougishly at Iviana and walks up to one of the carvings.
    "Wow... this be Orcish, right?" He traces some of the contours and looks about. "So many. Do you think this is an orcish monument to their lost community?" he looks around at the buildings, "buildings be human with elven help, right? Stones dinnae lie. So why would Orcs build their monument here?" He looks supremely confused and taps the edge of his shield in a thoughtful, or, more accurately, confused manner.
    Look! It's me!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"What a creepy place... I'd rather not stay out here in the open for too long. It's probably a good idea if we head towards that big dome over there. Hopefully we can find shelter there and stand guard for the night."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

((Sorry for the delay, good to see everyone here...))

"Eclipse" Info
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since there are very few documented survivors of "the eclipse", not much is known other than that it takes the form of a lunar eclipse (the "earth" blocking the sun from reaching one of the moons, because of the gravity of the planet, and the number of moons, this happens often. Supposedly, one is coming up soon (tonight possibly). Nothing is known regarding solar eclipses...

As the party heads slowly towards the central dome something strange and unsettling works it's way over the party. It's as if something is watching you from above. The sun is hanging just above the horizon, slowly setting into the hills. The full moon is rising from the opposite side . As darkness encompases the party, the chill of the air seems to freeze your bones. A shrill screech is heard in the distance. A strange shadow begins creeping across the moon. The landscape turns black, pitch black. Dozens of bizzare flying creatures fill the atmosphere with the empty void of their shapeless, shadowy forms. The hollow wing beats of thousands of shreiking terrors fill the air. The stars are blotted out with vast numbers of shadowlike winged horrors. You start to instinctively run for cover. Several of the strange beings circle the party from above.

Roll for initiative...

24. - Top - End - #24

Initiative: (1d20+2)[8]
    Look! It's me!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Answell cried out, "Is it just me, or do those things not look friendly? Well, I guess we're about to find out!" He draws his rapier, its finely crafted point gleaming in the darkness. Taking a quick moment to close his eyes and utter another incantation under his eyes, Answell looks up. What appears to be a ball of phosphorescent silver flame is curling itself around his hand. "I highly recommend that we proceed with all haste to the dome."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+5)[17]
    • Taking a Standard Action (assuming we are in a Surprise Round) to ready Magic Missile.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

After Quen gives her the blanket, Celine kisses him on the cheek. "You're a sweetheart." Seeing the large flying things, she dives behind a statue and draws her crossbow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+2)[20]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Apollo, Lord of the Sun, aid my aim!" Quen prayed softly as he readied his bow and prepared to fire.

((Initiative - (1d20+3)[4] ))

(( Pay attention to the combat, Quen! ))
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-11-17 at 10:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

((Yeah Quen. There will plenty of time fondle Celine later! Just Kidding!))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or am I?
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2008-11-17 at 10:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

((Since this is a suprise round, the creatures will go first followed by your actions, whose order are undertermined waiting for ywo players to roll inititave.))

Two of the beasts split off from the mass and dive ((Labeled B1 and B2 for convenience)).

B1:
    Dives for Quen and makes a grapple attempt.

Touch Attack
    (1d20+6)[11]

Grapple
    (1d20+10)[12]

B2:
    Charges in making a flyby attack against Dave.

Attack Roll
    (1d20+4)[17]

Damage Roll
    C1
    (1d6+2)[4]
    C2
    Edit: Mistake in Damage Roll, set to 3 Damage

A third beast splits off from the flock and begins to dive towards the party,
    Estimated TOA: 3 Rounds
    Last edited by Ertier; 2008-11-17 at 10:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

B1:
    Grapple attempt misses Quen...

B2:
    Fail...
    Last edited by Ertier; 2008-11-17 at 10:28 PM.