New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creature] Coo coo cachu!

Giant Pigeon

Large Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 3d10+3 HD (19 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (poor)
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 dex, +3 natural -1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+10
    Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
    Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2), 2 claws +0 melee (1d4+1)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Ear to the cobblestones, homing, low-light vision, roofwalker, scent
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 13
    Skills: Gather Information +8*, Knowledge (local) +5, Listen +8, Spot +8, Survival +6
    Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative
    Environment: Urban
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or flock (3-40)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 4-9 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: +2 (cohort)

This grey-feathered bird is the size of a riding horse, with an iridescent green and purple sheen. It has a short beak below orange-red eyes that peer forth with sly curiosity.

Giant pigeons are intelligent, gregarious avians found in the largest and most ancient of cities where they first came to sentience. In parks, on rooftops, bridges and towers, all are locales where they tend to congregate. They are quick to gossip and slow to forget about even the most insignificant detail of the lives and stories they hear and witness. Many consider them enormous nuisances, but for every one that is forced away two take its place. Many however are talked into serving as transportation and communication, passing information from city to city. They take a mate for life once they reach maturity and will not willingly part from their company for extended periods, so often they are trained as a team.

Giant pigeons speak whatever languages are prevalent within their city, usually Common, with a gentle, cooing accent.

Combat
    A giant pigeon while not naturally combative has an irritable streak and if sufficiently provoked will attack, and continues until their enemy is dead or driven far away. If the battle does not go in their favor however they are wont to flee.

Ear to the Cobblestones (Ex): A giant pigeon may make a special knowledge check that acts as the Bardic Knowledge ability
    with a bonus equal to its HD + its Intelligence modifier to see whether it knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the giant pigeon has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), it gains a +2 bonus on this check.)

Homing (Ex): A giant pigeon on it's home planet always knows what direction it faces and the general distance and direction of any location it has visited in relation to it's current point.

Roofwalker (Ex): A giant pigeon knows how to use the slopes to its advantage. It gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC against any opponent who is at a different elevation from it. They can also walk across a precarious surface more quickly than normal. They can move at their full speed without taking a -5 penalty on their Balance check.

Skills: *Giant pigeons gain a +4 bonus to Gather Information and Knowledge (local) checks.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Training A Giant Pigeon

Although intelligent, a giant pigeon requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. To be trained, a giant pigeon must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through a successful Diplomacy check). Training a friendly giant pigeon requires four weeks of work and a DC 20 Handle Animal check. Riding a giant pigeon requires an exotic saddle. A giant pigeon can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Giant pigeon eggs are worth 1,000 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 2,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant pigeon.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a giant pigeon is up to 152 pounds; a medium load, 153–306 pounds; and a heavy load, 307–460 pounds.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-11-16 at 04:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: [Creature] Coo coo cachu!

Is that bite and 2 claws or bite or two claws? Not all creatures can use their claws and bite at the same time.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2008-11-16 at 10:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Funny, I was expecting a walrus after I read the thread title.

Good job on the pidgeons, though, VT.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Funny, I was expecting a walrus after I read the thread title.

Good job on the pidgeons, though, VT.
    I am the , oh they are the , I am the coo coo cachu!

You never cease to amaze me, VT.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-11-16 at 12:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I now want to play one... or have one as a familiar or something. Would this be eligible for Improved Familiar?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Would actually make more sense as a paladin's special mount than a familiar...

I wonder about the wing design, I hear pigeons' short wings are good for tight spaces? Not slowed by squeezing when flying??? I dunno...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Is that bite and 2 claws or bite or two claws?
    And two claws. In the later 3.5 editions they just had them separated by a comma instead of using 'and'.

I now want to play one... or have one as a familiar or something. Would this be eligible for Improved Familiar?
    If a giant eagle/owl can.

I wonder about the wing design, I hear pigeons' short wings are good for tight spaces? Not slowed by squeezing when flying??? I dunno...
    Can't say as I ever heard about that one.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-11-16 at 04:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The song actually goes googoo g'joob, accordiing to the official lyrics, but great homebrew. Now i need to get one.
    Yup, I'm back

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought he was referencing "Mrs. Robinson"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.