New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest Ideas

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Contest Ideas

Write your material however you like Premier. Everyone's creative process is different, and I have found that some of the most creative minds out there tend to also be some of the most quirky. If you feel that writing with a specific game engine in mind cramps your style, then don't.

But, please, do not assume that the rest of us are bound by the same constraints. Just as any of an infinite number of points can be said to fall into one of the four quadrants of the cartesian plane, so any of an infinite number of complex moral codes all fall into one of the nine alignments: more complex individuals (and gods) are simply more difficult to judge. It is possible for a wimsical god to have a dozen or more holy symbols (all of which are listed), or for a god who isn't much concerned with what weapons her followers are using to choose a symbolic weapon such as Ilmatyr's "an open hand (unarmed strike)" for purposes of spells that manifest that god's favored weapon.

You view of the game system is apparently obscured by the vast number of cliche's and uncreative content that you have see associated with it over the years, and if you can't break free of those steriotypes without chucking the whole thing out the window then by all means chuck away. But rest assured that, for the rest of us, there is no such thing as a pantheon that is "too good for d&d".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just to avoid misunderstandings, all I said about creativity was my personal opinion, without wanting to forcefully impress it anyone else.

But rest assured that, for the rest of us, there is no such thing as a pantheon that is "too good for d&d".
    And that's exactly the point I too have made, even if I have been a wee bit more roundabout with it.

... with gusto!

I like that word. I'll try to use it more often from now on.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Why don't we start having a deity creating contest?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin
    Why don't we start having a deity creating contest?
    Now THERE'S an idea. The question is... Characters that are Deity-level, and may take a few of the respinsibilities of Deities, or Characters that simply are Deities, having considered themselves Gods for a long time, and having the power to back it up?
    Pyyran Rahth&&Human&&Rogue 5&&Swashbuckler 5&&Master Thrower 5&&Duelist 3&&Favorite Feat: Speak in Tounges

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

*indicates his "homebrew panthion" idea, above*

Gods are cool, but I realy don't have the means to write up their statistics (or those of any epic character, for that matter), and stats are probably the least important aspect of a diety anyway.

Of corse, a pantion is simply a group of dieties who interact with each other, and the deffinition of "diety" is left wide open. ;)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps a mixture of both, unless you already mentioned that when you said "homebrew pantheon".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'll resurrect this thread so I can suggest perhaps a party design contest? Create a set of characters that are adventuring together. You can declare winners based on characterization, group dynamics, stats, tactical possibilities, playability, etc. etc. Unlike the pantheon and the festival contest where I'm drawing complete blanks, I have a few ideas bubbling along these lines.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Dang that would be fun, as well as practical we would have to work on things that would help us to help role playing, which is something always worth learning more about no matter how much you have mastered the craft, Both as Players to help us understand how their Pcs would inter act with one another and for Dms to help estimate their pcs actions.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

9. - Top - End - #69

I really like Grey Watcher's party concept as well. To make things more interesting, perhaps the members of the party should all fit into some sort of theme (like the spell chain contest earlier, where the contestant chooses their own theme)?

A few questionis - how much detail do we want for each party member? Is there a particular level every party should be at, or can the contestant pcik whatever level she or he desires? What material, game rule wise, is allowed?

I submit that, if statblocks are to be created, each character for these parties should be created with a reasonable point buy amount (32 sounds good to me) prior to potential level adjustments, and follow the standard wealth amounts for characters of their level according to the DMG. This is purely to provide a nice baseline for everyone, so we can focus more on the cool "fluffy" bits of the contest while also getting a shorthand idea of the relative power of the party and characters.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Well, the parties don't NECESSARILY have to get along like a dream. I once created a party for a video game and I thought it would be a good idea to include some intra-party conflict (which, naturally, the game wouldn't support, but whatever). I like the idea that there's friction within a group. Nothing to break the group apart, but I think it'd be cool to have some awards for, say, Most Dysfunctional Group. ;D

11. - Top - End - #71

Planetar

what level/range would they be in average party level 6 or what? something in that range I hope. I think it would be better if there where no martial (and by martial I mean books) limits, or if we did restrict it to the "everything you ever wanted books" that is to say Book of vile darkness, Book of exalted Deeds, The Complete Series, The Expanded Psionic's Handbook, And the Core books (The PhB The DMg and the MM). And this doesn't even include one of my favorite books either. (unearthed arcana)
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Does an Eladrin Wizard, an Astral Deva Cleric, a Drow Druid, a male Erinyes fighter and a Succubus Sorceress earn the title most disfunctional party ever? :P
    IM IN UR WIZARD SCHOOL STABBIN UR HORCRUXES

13. - Top - End - #73

Planetar

How about and I know this one would have more work then anything but the spell chain contest. Build A town/city complete with well known personalities, adventure hooks, and major buildings.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

14. - Top - End - #74

Planetar

Double Post Forgiveness
    Please comment anyone?
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

meh my actual D&D party is more dysfunctional: CG elven Bladesinger, LG Dwarven Cleric/Defender, CG Drow Sorcoress, CG Kobold/Silverwraith Druid
    Face of the shadow-Kargoth Heiros http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=17783&&stolen glory-Hurun Brightbane http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=17811&&Gatewalkers-Rodric \'the blade\'http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=17857&&

16. - Top - End - #76

I'd be interested in this contest if someone could get one of the board staff to underwrite it. Say, like Wampax did last time? I'll go send that person a private note and see what they say...
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

17. - Top - End - #77

Planetar

Which one do you mean the city one or the party one?
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird
    I'd be interested in this contest if someone could get one of the board staff to underwrite it. Say, like Wampax did last time? I'll go send that person a private note and see what they say...
    Just so you know, I volunteered for contest duty while Rich was busy with the Book stuff, et. al. When we will be given leave to run another, I do not know.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade
    Which one do you mean the city one or the party one?
    I meant the party suggestion.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

20. - Top - End - #80

Planetar

Kay just wondering
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

21. - Top - End - #81

Here's another idea: design a set of magical items or artifacts. Maybe created by the same person, maybe forming a famous collection, maybe pieces that combine for a greater effect... anything that could count as a "set". And also write down the history of the pieces.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

22. - Top - End - #82

Planetar

That could be fun too...
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with White Blade, the magic item set idea of Premier's sounds awesome.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #84

Planetar

I can imagine mine already, built by five people (I think its, Shungjen but I don't have the complete divine book with me yet...)
    One for fire, one for water, one for earth, one for air, and one of course for void. All of which would be katans built for five samurai.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Funny White Blade, but that reminds me of a set of Minor Artifacts I designed for a campaign. They were the (evil) Chalice of Water, the (good) Athame of Fire, the (lawful) Anvil of Earth, and the (Chaotic) Baton of Air.
    Not sure what my entry would be. Perhaps a suit of armor (chainmail, guantlets, helm, greaves, bracers, etc.)
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm up for the magic item contest - It sounds like fun. Plus, I already have some ideas of my own. :D

I'm not willing to divulge too much information at this point, but the artifacts may not be items in the traditional sense.
    Memorizing stuff for exams sucks. If only I actually had ranks in autohypnosis...&&&&Still flyin\'!&&&&Serenity d20: Pieces of the Past

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

You made fire good and water evil?

You suck.

Baron Von Mod: And you're arbitrarily insulting someone. >:(
    Discuss if you want, but don't hurl insults.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro
    You made fire good and water evil?

You suck.

Baron Von Mod: And you're arbitrarily insulting someone. >:(
    Mr. Mod sir, I believe the intent was to make a joke based on the poster's name.
    "So when your back's up against the wall and there's no tomorrow, just take one day at a time and remember: the bigger they are... etcetera." - Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1 (S1, ep 04)

29. - Top - End - #89

OK... :-/ Not sure of the connection... You'll have to help me out here. I'm not getting the joke. ???

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

My appologies; I thought it was too arbitrary to be taken seriously. Humor is difficult to explain, and is a moving target from one person to another anyway, but I'll give it a shot:

Perhaps my sense of humor has been warped by hanging out with my d&d group too much, but having someone tell me that I "suck" for calling their favorite element evil isn't something I would ever take offense at. Perhaps it's because I haven't heard the word "suck" used as a real insult since... well, any time in memory actually. Maby back in early gradeschool, but I have a hard time remembering early gradeschool.

So, here I am, hurling a steril insult at Blue C for the absurd 'offense' of calling my "favorite element" (an object of pure fantasy) "evil". I think that the fact that I was insulting him over such a silly thing was what was supposed to be funny, disarmed (unsuccessfully it seems) by the fact that I wasn't using a "real" insult. And yes, part of the persona I've built up around this handle is that water is His Thing (much like Premier's "With gusto!", which I doubt he says in real life :p).

Anyway, humor is something I have difficulty comprehending much less explaining, so I think I'll stop tripping over myself in the attempt. Sorry again for the mix-up.