New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Lords of Europe IC

Through some manner or another, you are stronger, more powerful, better then the rest. you've each managed to obtain a large keep, and a host of monstrous creatures who follow you. You look onto the world and see the land of Europe, it's yours for the taking.

yes its a bad intro, so what?

this is the IC thread.

rules in OOC

Political map of Europe

Spoiler
    Show

players locations, courtesy of Experiment
    Map in SpoilerBlack=Blockhead
    Red=expirement10K14
    Green=Sidhe_blooded
    Blue=Ipphli
    Gray=Imp_Fireball (Not much of the middle east on my map, so I approximated)
    Pink=Javisua
    Purple=Raz_Fox
    Orange=drakeblood4
    Light Blue= Longvin
    Brown is... Someone.... I actually have no clue- Lets move it to Denmark...
    Brown=Omnik

Spoiler
    Show

OOC thread

time-scales 6 months= one week meat-space time.
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-11-18 at 04:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Europe IC

The strange creatures rode through the highlands and the lowlands. Creatures with fangs and talons, strangely colored and armed, walked through villages announcing the rulership of Davin Argetlam. Fey that were half horse ran along the roads, giving messages to coaches and travelers. Fishermen were told the news by seal-women swimming alongside their boats.

Laird Davin Argetlam, High King of the Fey, had declared Scotland his realm. He would lead the Scots to victory against their southern oppressors, and he had an army of Sidhe to do so. He was of the blood of man, and loved his brothers, and would do everything in his power to help them. His throne sat in Aberdeen, and every castle in the land was to fly his banner.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Raz_Fox
    Spoiler
    Show
    King Robert the Bruce does not take kindly to having his realm being taken over in the lifetime he freed it in. the closer you get to the Capital in Edinburgh the more resistance you face. He's begun gathering his armies to fight you. in general the smaller villages and town bow to you out of respect/fear, well the larger area's put up a fight and anywhere near the Capital is deafened by some of the army.

1346 is after the scottish revolution ,heads up
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

An unseelie messenger mounted on a Gryphon delivers a message for Robert to one of his generals, sealed with the device of a sword before a hill.

The message runs thus:

Lord Robert, greetings from High King Davin Argetlam.
    I must thank you for your service in freeing my native land from the English opressors. I am on your side, milord, and I only wish you well.
    I am not entirely mortal, and I am the High King of the Sidhe. The creatures of twilight and dawn are capricious and wild, but they obey my will. I wish to create a realm that is of two worlds, both of this world and the Otherworld.
    To fight now would be to give victory to our cruel enemies. Shall we not unite to defeat the english? I command legions of sidhe that await the order to attack my enemies. I do not wish you to be my enemy, but my true friend and brother.
    I am the oncoming storm, the lord of forest and vale. You can claim to rule all who dwell here, but the very land cries out for the Tuatha de Danann to rule it. I have stepped forth, as is my destiny.
    Hinder me or aid me, it is your choice. Choose well.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

a reply to the Lord of the Sidhe
    Spoiler
    Show
    very well, I will aid you in your fight against the English dogs, but I will not stand to simply be stripped of all my power, I did not push them off our shores to retire to a farm somewhere in the highlands.
    His Majesty King Robert the Bruce
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

King Shtaal Tundra

The King looked out from upon his keep and sighed. With such a large army, they would need a steady stream of supplies and new land to colonise and call their own.

And so, the King ordered that several hundred gryffons were to scout out the local area and report back to the keep their findings. These findings would be used to co-ordinate groups of Orc builders to begin building walls and houses and other buildings around the general area of the keep, to ensure the expansion availability in the future.
    I drew this line myself

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Lord Unai Tressvian gathered his most trusted Orc Generals around him and began to set down the foundations of his nation. Each of his 2,000 goblins were to be given a 10-acre plot of land to farm. 50% of all crops were to be given to the Castle of the Black Stone to be distributed as the High Lord Unai saw fit.

The Lord of the Black Stone then sent out units of 250 Orcs, 50 Gryffons, and 10 Minotaurs out in each of the 4 cardinal directions. Their instructions were thus: Instruct any and all surrounding villages of their two options. They may either swear an oath of fealty to Lord Unai and come under his protection and just rule, or they may choose to oppose him and feel his wrath. These parties were instructed not to stray too far from the castle, so that they may retreat to its safety if they should find themselves too vastly outnumbered.

A group of 50 Orcs were instructed to search the lands around the castle for any groups of non-human settlements that might wish to join Unai's forces. A further 50 were sent out to look for any other Lords with which Unai might ally himself (for the time being).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Blockhead
    Spoiler
    Show
    you find a good amount of building materials, there's plenty of [insert some type of good building rock found in Iceland here] nearby. there's a forest to get tree's from about a days march away

Javisua
    Spoiler
    Show
    the parties to the south, North and West take about a dozen orcish causalities each from some dissenters who refused o bow. after they were dealt with, the remaining population of the town was usually complacent.

to the east your efforts were stymied as a runner got away from the first village and the next one flat-out refused, saying that it and several other villages were more then ready to ally and stamp you out. your forces withdrew to the village thy gained control of, about 7 hours march from the Castle.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

There was no reply to the letter Robert sent to Davin. Until a small unit of Dark Sidhe and Decataurs came to Edinburgh, Davin and the Cwn Annwn at their head.

Davin had the noble build and grace of the Sidhe, combined with a truly human affability and charm. His mismatched eyes twinkled, and his unruly brown hair spilled over the thin silver circlet upon his brow. His right hand was covered by a black glove.

He rode to Castle Edinburgh, then dismounted at the gate, requesting a meeting with King Robert at his earliest opportunity.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Raz fox
    Spoiler
    Show

who's Cwn Annwn?

David is invited to dine with the royal family that night at a banquet in his honor.
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-11-18 at 04:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

11. - Top - End - #11

Krusk's troops pulled back from the embarrassing defeat at the hands of the norther peninsulers (his name for the area just south of him in N. Italy. They barricaded all but one tunnel, leaving an outpost set with 100 crossbows, the minotaurs, and a messenger griffen. The rest of his troops laid out in the mountain valley, the griffen flying up into the roosts. This defeat was tragic, but after the orcs prepared, the enemy would fall to their blades. He would make sure of that.

"Hey you there," he shouted to a soldier walking past, "get a messenger and send them south into the peninsula. I wish to meet with Titus Velius, invite him to my castle for a nice dinner, I have a very lucrative proposition."

12. - Top - End - #12

Unai orders a force of 250 Gryffons, 100 Minotaurs, 2,500 Orcs, and 300 Centaurs to reinforce the Eastern forces at the village. Any sign of an armed force from the other villages was to be crushed immediately. Gryffon scouts were to be sent out at regular intervals to scan the area for troop strength and movements of the enemy.

As for the villages who accepted his offer, Unai asks only for an annual tribute of 5% of all crops raised, and offers in return the full support of his armies. He also extends an offer of all willing males who wish to be trained and serve in the Army of the Black Stone. They would be given food and a place to stay, as well as a share of all the glory and plunder earned by Lord Unai's forces.

Orc regiments are sent out to look for any useful metals or stone with which to build improvements, weaponry, and armor.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Javisua
    Spoiler
    Show
    you don't see any attack forces being marshaled near-by, but fortifications are going up and it's likely that their liege-lords were informed. as there are no centers of power near-by, you wouldn't see any Ducal armies being mustered with your scouts
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateCaptain

King Shtaal Tundra

The King puts his Orc workforce to... well... work! Ordering 500 Orcs to begin collecting lumber from the nearby wood, 500 to collecting the rocks for the 100 master craftsmen Orcs to begin construction of new infrastructure. He also sent his farmers to work, 2000 Orcs, to grow various vegatables and fruit as well as rear farm animals for a steady supply of food and other supplies into the kingdom. The King also ordered 900 Naga to begin fishing off the coast of the keep, 200 Kerberos to begin hunting with their masters and 200 Gryffon to begin hunting also.

The remaining 100 master craftsmen Orcs were ordered to research new ways of crossing the ocean waves, in the hopes of future exploration and development.
    I drew this line myself

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Titus Velius

Titus Velius, the self stylized Warlord of all-Italy sat in his war room looking over the maps that were laid out on the table. He was surrounded by his Orcish and Naga generals. Goblins hurried to and fro cleaning the floors and serving their superiors. Occassionally they became too grabby and required a from those assembled. Filthy little creatures.

The War Council searched for a weak mortal lord nearby, their eyes quickly fell upon the Kingdom of Naples and its queen Joan an inept young girl who has brought only confusion and chaos to her people. She would be the first target of Titus. But first she would be granted the oppurtunity to willfully submit to his rule.

Drafting the following message an emissary is dispatched to the Kingdom of Naples to make clear the intentions of Velius.

Show

Joan the first, Queen of Naples,

The most powerful Titus Velius, Warlord of all Italy has surveyed your lands and have seen them most fitting. In his most infinite wisdom, he grants you this one option. Submit to him and make him your lord and sovereign and you shall be allowed to continue ruling your lands as you see fit and shall be granted the protection of his legions.

If you refuse this offer the full might of my lord will be brought to bear against all of Naples.

Accompanying the Orcish emissary are 2 additional Orcs, 6 Nagas and 2 Minotaurs serving as guards and a not so suble hint to what awaits rejection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Giedrius Laima

Giedrius looked out from Castle Svajone over his lands. Everything he could see was his, but it was no longer enough. His armies had grown, and they would need more room, more supplies, and more food. And so he sent out his griffons to scout the surrounding area, with instructions to pay special attention to any villages, rivers, or other possible resources nearby.

The goblins were each given a plot of land to farm, with 40% of their crops going to Castle Svajone. The orc artisans were ordered to begin building a town outside the castle, with a wall surrounding it all. Giedrius nodded to himself; it was best to prepare for the future, before you were ambushed.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Longvin
    Spoiler
    Show
    response from Queen Joan of Naples. With all due respect, what are you, a self-styled warlord with control of some monstrous legions, to threaten me, the sovereign of Naples, a woman of the royal blood crowned by a Cardinal with full support from his Holiness? begone back into whatever pit you crawled out of beast.

Blockhead
    Spoiler
    Show
    you have a great stroke of luck, as your farmers find the ground around the keep is amazingly good for growing. you'll likely be able to feed all your forces for the entire next generation without farming nay new lands. the rest of the work continues apace

Ipphi
    Spoiler
    Show
    you find several near-by villages, and a forest large enough to supply the wood for the wall. the villagers are all quite superstitious and are willing to bow to you in exchange for protection from your beasts.
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-11-18 at 07:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Giedrius Laima

After going over the reports from his scouts, Giedrius smiled. The people were the same as they had always been: proud, but fearful. He sent a party of 100 orcs and 100 centaurs to visit the villages. The villages would become party of his growing kingdom, or they would be purged. Should they choose to join, they would become his people, and thus he would defend them against any threats. A couple of griffons were sent with them as well, for scouting and relaying messages.

Four hundred orcs were sent to begin logging operations in the forest to help provide the artisans with the materials they would need. Wood would be enough for now, although eventually Giedrius envisioned a stone wall and possibly stone buildings. To further this aim, griffons were sent out again to locate a source of stone nearby, preferably slate and granite if possible.

Giedrius looked out over his lands. The Danube was close at hand; it should provide an excellent source of trade and irrigation in the years to come. He had also heard tell of mills that used rivers to power all sorts of devices. Giedrius sent for his master craftsmen to see if any of them had heard of such a thing, and if they could replicate it.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

King Shtaal Tundra

The King smiled at the report in his hand, it detailed good harvest predictions and an almost unimaginable stream of food into the keeps storehouses. In fact, the food that was predicted to be produced would fill the keeps storehouses to the brim and so the King ordered his 100 master craftsmen Orc builder to concentrate on building storehouses and granaries for food, as well as other buildings that helped with the production of food, such as windmills, bakers, butchers, etc.
    I drew this line myself

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ipphli
    Spoiler
    Show

as I said before, most of the villages are willing to bow to you, however a few seem to think your forces are invading begin firing at them with arrows. the first of them is the sixth one your forces visit, and the forces there would take heavy causalities taking it.

your worker found a good supply of slate searching in the forest, logging operations continue smoothly

your artisans have never heard of it, having popped into existence only a few years ago, but they roughly understand the concept and could probably make some plans given time

Blockhead
    Spoiler
    Show
    the buildings are constructed well and quickly
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-11-18 at 07:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Giedrius Laima

Giedrius orders his orcs to begin drawing up plans for a mill; he would force the very rivers to work for him. More orcs were sent to begin harvesting the slate for the buildings both in town and the homes of the goblin farmers.

The delegation retreated out of bowshot from the village. A spokesman was sent, under a white flag, to declare that they only traveled in such force to defend against the brigands that often haunted the forests. The same offer given to the other villages was then given, along with many apologies for any misunderstanding.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ipphli
    Spoiler
    Show
    the mills will probably be finished in 6 or 7 months, barring something happening

the village leader apologize profusely for any injuries, the forces are accepted into the towns, although everyone seems to stay as far as possible from any concentrations of your forces
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

23. - Top - End - #23

Titus Velius

The Warlord of Italy's face contracted in a snear as he ripped the message in two. A kick sends the Goblin which had been cleaning his boot sailing across the room, crashing into a wall.

"So be it..." He grumbles. Rising from his throne he shouts to his advisors "Ready the legions! We march on Naples!" Hooting and hollering the beasts rush to the courtyard to spread the word of war.

Army:
    Spoiler
    Show

Orcs:
    1 Legion
    2 Maniples
    2 Centuries
    Total: 10,000

Goblins:
    2 Mobs
    Total: 1,000

Naga:
    Force of 150
    Total: 150

Kerboros:
    1 Pack
    Total: 100

Centuars:
    1 Lance
    Total: 250

Minotaurs:
    2 Hordes

Gryffons:
    2 Hunts

Trolls:
    3 Clans
    Total: 150

Ogres: 25

Those not mobilized for the coming battle remain in the fiefdom to tend to the needs of the land be it farming or crafting. The remaining orcs also begin construction siege engines.
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

24. - Top - End - #24

Unai orders his forces to move on the developing fortifications, in the hopes of taking them before they are completed. If the villagers resist, they are to be taken by force. If they submit, they are to be given full quarter. Unai puts his most trusted Orc General in charge of the attacks. In the meantime, he redoubles his efforts at home, searching for suitable sources of wood and stone with which to build up his defenses and infrastructure. Lord Tressevian also looks to the mountains in the hopes of finding iron or copper with which to improve his troops.

Lord Unai sends small gifts to those villages who accepted his rule, hoping that word of his just rule would spread even further. Along with the gifts come the recruiters, asking for any willing males to join Unai's forces.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are there going to be bands of mythical creatures roving the land as was the case in the last game? If so, I'll send some Orcs out to look for those too.

25. - Top - End - #25

@Longvin

A orc has come bearing a message from Krusk the Orc King. He wishes to meet with you at his outpost to the north (think border of Switzerland and Italy) in order to discuss the current state of the peninsula.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Longvin
    Spoiler
    Show
    after taking a few town near your keep, your scouts report that the full military of Naples, hastily mustered and prepared after the revival of your letter, there are about 8,000 well armed soldiers.

it's likely that she'll recive aid from allies quite soon.

Javisua

Spoiler
    Show
    seeing the full might of your force, the town surrenders, however, your scouts reports seeing signs of a large Ducal force marching on you

you are unable to find any more stone or wood then already discovered, but you did find some veins of iron in the mountains. the common people, being used to simple drafting, don't seem to understand the idea of signing up to fight, you get few volunteers, however, you did find 2 full packs of kerberous in the forest, the locals thinking they were your was a main reason for the resistance
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

27. - Top - End - #27

@ Krusk
    An Orcish emissary delivers the following message to Krusk
    Spoiler
    Show

His Highness, Titus Velius, Warlord of All Italy is currently on campaign and is unable to meet with the great Orc King. I, will serve as his official ambassador in his steed.

Naples
    Realizing that they must press the iniatiave while they still have the advantage of numbers, Velius orders his legions to march directly towards Naples and to prepare to enage the Neopolitan army in the field.

Gryphons are sent ahead to gather intelligence on the forces arrayed against them.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Brand

Brand sends out gryphons and nagas to scout the area, puts his orcs to work farming, building ships and fortifications.

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry it's short, I will put up a more descriptive one next time when I have more time

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Davin brought few of his warriors to the feast - the Dark Sidhe general invited had atrocious manners and the Decataur couldn't sit down in the mortal-made chairs, simply kneeling before the table.

After the food, Davin raised his glass of wine and spoke to Robert. "In the letter you sent me, you said you were worried that I would usurp your position as King of Scotland. I must apologize and take the blame for the unpleasantness of our first contact - according to the time of the mortal world, I have been living in Otherworld for sixty years in what seemed to me but a year. I did not check to see if the english had been thrust out before announcing my rulership of Scotland.
    In truth, all I want to do is truly unite the land of my birth and the Otherworld of my blood. I do not wish to usurp Robert but to supplement him, as two halves of a whole. The High King of the Sidhe and the King of Scotland united together would be able to topple great England and from there unite Ireland and Brittany as the chosen people of the Sidhe. The Otherworld will grow strong once more and will again unite with the mortal world.
    And if I may tell the truth, I am a leader and a warrior, a poet and a lover, but I am no god, that I may rule a nation, lead its armies, settle disputes of the law and plan out its prosperity at the same time. A true king sees into the heart of those around him, so that he may know who he can trust.
    When I look at King Robert of Scotland, I see another true king. I pray to the old gods that we may be able to work as brothers to unite our cloven realms."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Unai's forces enter the town and help the villagers complete the fortifications. An additional force of 1,000 Orcs, 150 Centaurs, and 100 gryffons are sent as further reinforcements.

Unai orders a work force of 200 Orcs to mine iron, while using another 150 to start building a granary and blacksmith just outside the castle walls. Wooden palisades are to be erected surrounding the castle, as protection for the new buildings.

Lord Tressevian sends out a group of 50 trolls (backed up by 25 Gryffons in the skies) to wrangle up the Kerberos in the woods (after assuring the villagers that they were not, in fact, under his control until now).