New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Europe IC

Cursed

"WHAT!?" Cursed roared "There was a ground force as well? May they be damned! We shall salt the every earth they walk on! And we lost a whole quarter of our attacking force? I want a full report into what went wrong and I want reports sent to our metalworkers so that they can improve there drills and make better armor. But before they get back, have the main force deal with those 15 German ships. And I want information from those prisoners, why were they here, what were they looking for, why the attacks on the Fey, who is there leader, who else do they know who uses Fey, are there any more Fey outposts or groups. And most importantly find who among them will join our ranks as spies. Offer them a safe place for there family, we will reward them with land and power in the coastal towns we will take. "

Cursed gives several more orders than retires for the night, his dreams tormented with armies appearing out of no where.

Spoiler
    Show

My ignorance in this is Curseds ignorance as well.
    The new troops will be sent to gather resources, make weapons and armor. With the goblins being sent to learn the duties of mining and construction.

The 15 new ships are to be sunk (by the 4k of Naga, the other naga go back to there old duties) and, along with the other 5 ships, to be dragged back to the dry dock with ropes. There will be no prisoners taken this time.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Orders:

Spoiler
    Show

All mercenaries and two of the naga clans enforcing my trade taxes (2000 naga) are to move to constantinople as soon as possible. All byzantine and mercenary ships are to guard both sides of the bosporus. Craftsmen are to inspect all the cities defences and improve them, where possible. Full battlestations.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

to the people I have a handle on
    Ipphli
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Bulgars are constructing catapults and other such weapons, probably to destroy your fortifications and force your troops to spread out. Your vassal arrives with all but 20 of his orcs.

Javisua
    Spoiler
    Show
    The centaurs put up a fierce fight, killing 70 of your men*

*their were 50 of them right?

more later.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You said a few dozen, so 50 sounds right. Any chance of exact casualties?

Good news...

Lord Unai shakes his head. His troops should have been able to handle a group of raiders without so much trouble. His thoughts are interrupted by an Orc messenger bursting into the room with a frantic message. Unai follows him out of the castle to the woodlands outside the village, where a group of 10 Orcs are surrounding something laying on the ground. Unai approaches, and is shocked when he finds a small, but ferocious, reptile snapping at his men. Unai recognizes it as a Felldrake, and if he's correct, it has a lot of growing to do. Unai fearlessly approaches the small beast and takes it up in his arms. The Felldrake responses kindly, stopping its biting and settling in. Unai smiles and orders a suitable pen to be set up for his new "pet", along with a team to feed and care for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll use this as a mount instead of an artifact. Felldrake is just meant to be a large, landbound reptile.
    Last edited by JaviSua; 2008-12-29 at 12:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Javisua[spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    50 orcs, 8 centaurs, and one unlucky griffin.

also feel free to make the fell-drake acid spitting or somesuch
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Giedrius Laima

Giedrius frowns when we hears the news. They're actually going to try and use catapults. In these thick woods? Well, he'd see about that.

The gryphons are given new orders. They are ordered to use flaming arrows to attempt to set the catapults on fire. The goblin mercenaries are also offered a substantial amount of money to infiltrate the camp during these raids to destroy as many of the catapults as they can, as well as many of the engineers as possible.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

sorry for the delay

Goblin
    Spoiler
    Show
    both kings agree to your wishes, asking fro 3 weeks and a month to marshal forces respectively.

the majority of your scouts are lucky, almost all the villages agree to serve you or, more commonly, stay neutral. One lance however seems to have given the wrong impression and loses 8 centaurs when they try to attack the first village that refuses. yes they're all hot-heads.

the trolls then destroyed the village.

The Lord that was in charge of your land over-hunted and there is little meet. several quarries of good stone and a small vein of iron are found and the barracks goes up quickly.

the closest to well armed bandits your troops encounter is a mercenary company. they bring them back anyway.

mining of the quarry and iron goes well.

the continued presence of a crusading order of knights over several centuries has depleted the number of supernaturals in the area.

the tower building goes well, there's a tall jut of rock to the south that your orcs are trying to build one on, taking some time but should be finished a few months after the other ones.

you find some verdant farmland near your castle and the stone from the quarries mean the monastery should be finished in a few years (massive stone buildings take time to make for human sized creatures)

Ipphli
    Spoiler
    Show

the catapults are rates with all the usual stuff to stay ignited. three of your griffins get too close and are shot down.

your goblisn far much better managing to dismantle most of the catupluts and kill 10 of the best engineers, even kidnapping one of the generals for you
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

8. - Top - End - #218

Those darn Centaurs...

Unai sends the flags recovered by his troops from the centaurs camp to the Golden Horde, as he and his men cannot make any sense of the strange symbols. The Khan is informed that this is the mark of those responsible for disrupting his eastern borders, and is asked to shed light on their identity if he can.

Felldrake

Unai visits his Felldrake, whom he has named Dmitar, and notes the remarkable speed of his growth. The creature is now the size of a hound, and contains a remarkable appetite, not to mention an ability to produce a deadly acid from glands within his mouth. At this rate, the creature should be ready for battle within the coming year.

9. - Top - End - #219

Janos Grunewald

Janos is delighted at all the progress his forces have made.

Message to the two Kings:

"Of course. You can have that time to prepare, but at that time, I expect you to marshal your forces entirely. Thank you for accepting my deal, as I must say, I expected at least one of you giving me a refusal. You will have one favor from me in the future if I succeed, hopefully of the nature I described in my earlier message."

To the King of Denmark only:

"Would you also accept a trade agreement between my, ah, 'nation' and yours? I'm sad to say that the lord who owned my lands before I did over-hunted them. I'd be willing to give you a small supply of iron and stone in return for meat, furs, and other such necessities. One more thing. I will have need of a special sort of your troops in the future. I will give you more details later, and will repay you handsomely if these special troops, which I predict you don't use in your current armies."

Messenger To Lord Unai:
    "Hello, my good Lord Unai. I am Janos Grunewald. I am currently a minor lord, but I intend to fight the Teutonic Order, replacing their corrupt leadership with my own, better leadership. Unlike the old Order, I will not go about pillaging and murdering anyone who stands in my way. In fact, I will do quite the opposite. I will protect the people, and crush those who would oppress them. I have heard of your exploits, and I'd be very grateful if you would lend a few regiments of troops to my cause as soon as you can. In return, I would be willing to support you in your military, or as the Teutonic Order has immense resources, economic ventures. What do you say?"

Actions
    Giving the hot-headed group only a small speech of disappointment, Janos reassigns them to raiding duties and puts them on standby, to be ready to move out quickly against the Teutonic Order.

Of the unsuccessful troll hunters, half (250) are commanded to help the 500 orcs constructing the monastery. The other 250 are told to start constructing a larger then usual smithy, to build more, and higher quality weaponry and arms, but not to bother with finishing it if they can't, as in only a month, they shall march to war.

Janos then addresses the mercenary company.

"I'm sorry you had to be captured, but I intend to bring progress and prosperity to the peoples of these lands, and I suppose in the eyes of my troops, and mercenary band is little better then bandits. However, in any case, I have a deal for you. Serve me, help me fight the Teutonic Order, and I will allow you to raid the grand treasuries of the Order, and will let you carry away literally as much gold as you can carry. As well, I will encourage the more military-inclined peasants to join your company after the war. I can assure you, they will not need much pay when they join you."

Finally, Janos uses the month given to him by his allies personally going around the allied and neutral villages, drumming up support (along with soldiers) and, whether the villages support him or not, training them in basic military concepts that he has seen the Teutonic Order falter against before in battle.
    Last edited by RationalGoblin; 2009-01-02 at 12:16 AM.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

10. - Top - End - #220

Message to Janos Grunewald

Lord Janos:
    It is well known that I have no love for the Teutonic Order or their tyrannical rule over this land. This opportunity to punish them is one I would be foolish to pass up. Although my army is spread thin, I swear to you that I will offer you any help that I can. My troops will accompany those of my ally, the Grand Duke of Lithuania, in your crusade against these corrupt knights.

Your ally,
    Lord Unai Tressevian, Lord of the Black Stone and Ruler of Gallacia

After the message is sent, Unai marshals the following forces together:
    1,500 Orcs (pikemen)
    1,500 Human men-at-arms (swordsmen)
    500 Human heavy Cavalry
    150 Gryffons
    100 Centaurs
    100 Kerberos
    50 Minotaurs

These troops are to await orders from the Duke to depart before leaving for the Teutonic lands.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WrathOfLife View Post
    Cursed

"WHAT!?" Cursed roared "There was a ground force as well? May they be damned! We shall salt the every earth they walk on! And we lost a whole quarter of our attacking force? I want a full report into what went wrong and I want reports sent to our metalworkers so that they can improve there drills and make better armor. But before they get back, have the main force deal with those 15 German ships. And I want information from those prisoners, why were they here, what were they looking for, why the attacks on the Fey, who is there leader, who else do they know who uses Fey, are there any more Fey outposts or groups. And most importantly find who among them will join our ranks as spies. Offer them a safe place for there family, we will reward them with land and power in the coastal towns we will take. "

Cursed gives several more orders than retires for the night, his dreams tormented with armies appearing out of no where.

Spoiler
    Show

My ignorance in this is Curseds ignorance as well.
    The new troops will be sent to gather resources, make weapons and armor. With the goblins being sent to learn the duties of mining and construction.

The 15 new ships are to be sunk (by the 4k of Naga, the other naga go back to there old duties) and, along with the other 5 ships, to be dragged back to the dry dock with ropes. There will be no prisoners taken this time.

Your operation is a success, since the German ships are retreating you take only 150 Naga casualties and manage to catch up with and sink them all.
    Your force commanders try to explain (or just excuse) that the tide of battle went against them [bad rolls], that they were outnumbered by the sheer amount of marines, sailors, ranged arms and the catapults and ballistas on the ships. The sister Naga you recused also note that ever since the Scottish-English war and the great disaster off of Essex Bay [in which the battle moved in the Fey's favor [good roll]] the regional navies have been updating their equipment to deal marginally better with underwater combat.
    Your industrial plans continue at a good pace.
    The German prisoners complain that they believed you were the vanguard of a Nordic fey alliance that has been wiped out recently by paranoid Scandinavians by motions set into current by the Fey Lord that annexed Iceland, Shtaal Tundra. Attempting to appease you one of the sailors suggests you contact him for an alliance and reward him if it works out, or even use him as a messenger as the sailor has distant relatives on Iceland. In general they beg for you to release them as not to incur the wrath of the Empire, but a number of the bachelors agree to take you up on your offer of local/regional land. The ones who wish to be released hint that if you let them go maybe they could convince their superiors to talk with the Swedish King.
    A few of the lower ranking personell and one of the officers you caught show an interest towards becoming spies, not only to save their lives, but to gain riches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Orders:

Spoiler
    Show

All mercenaries and two of the naga clans enforcing my trade taxes (2000 naga) are to move to constantinople as soon as possible. All byzantine and mercenary ships are to guard both sides of the bosporus. Craftsmen are to inspect all the cities defences and improve them, where possible. Full battlestations.
    Eldan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You improve the defenses. The Regent is glad to see you and boasts that making you a King of Byzantium and further feudalizing the Empire (in your favor) is the best decision he ever made! With great enthusiasm (much due to your invigorating effect on the Empire) the army has already been mobilized and are ready to march out with you (he's got about fifteen thousand, leaving a few thou in the city). The Regent offers to make you Vice Battlelord of Contantinople, with limited command of a fraction of his personal army. He also offers to post part of his royal bodyguard with you, a bunch of fierce men with magical powers.

Quote Originally Posted by RationalGoblin View Post
    Janos Grunewald
    To the King of Denmark only:

"Would you also accept a trade agreement between my, ah, 'nation' and yours? I'm sad to say that the lord who owned my lands before I did over-hunted them. I'd be willing to give you a small supply of iron and stone in return for meat, furs, and other such necessities. One more thing. I will have need of a special sort of your troops in the future. I will give you more details later, and will repay you handsomely if these special troops, which I predict you don't use in your current armies."
    The King of Denmark (if I may Puppy) is unable to reply. You've an erratic report from your messenger on a fey-led coup and counter-coup led by the Holy Roman Empire. News is not yet back on who has been victorious.
    What you know is that Denmark joined the Anti-Fey coalition a few months ago, though it was a secret until recently when it leaked out.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2009-01-03 at 02:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222

Janos Grunewald

Janos fiddled with an growing, overlarge canine tooth as he walked from village to village, instructing neutral and allied villages alike in ways to fight the Order, thinking over the messages and news he had discovered.

His eyes narrow as he thinks about the Holy Roman Empire's coup of Denmark. He supposed that they wouldn't be as receptive to his pleas of assistance, and even if the 'rightful' ruler of Denmark led his counter-coup successfully, he wouldn't be in any state to assist Jano's conquest. Hmmph. No matter. The Teutons would be more confident, and possibly ruthless in their fighting. That would lead to their downfall. Grinning slightly, Janos sends a message to Lord Unai, a powerful new ally with soldiers beyond mortal ken, like Janos himself.

Message to Unai:

"Excellent. I, Janos Grunewald, thank you. Well then, Lord of the Black Stone, once the Duke is ready, we shall ride to conquest against the corrupt Teutonic Knights. You will be rewarded sufficiently for your help in achieving my goals. On a side note, I will spare whatever troops I can, after my conquest, as you say your troops are spread thin. Attempting some conquest of your own, Unai?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Colossus in the Playground

To the Regent:

Alejandro smiled as he read the message. This called for a personal answer. Closing his eyes, he began shaping a spell in his mind. For years now, he had focused on this, but getting distances, positions and relative velocities right was always tricky. Then, with a thought, he changed position with just enough air to make room for his body, appearing just outside the imperial palace.
    Nodding at the guards staring at him, he stated his name and purpose, then waited for the herald to introduce him.

"It is not advisable to withdraw all forces from the City. The turks are sneaky, and we have to keep defences up"
    The new Vice Battlelord of the Empire and King of Thrace pointed at the map on the table in front of the regent.
    I recommend leaving at least five thousand here, and another five thousand guarding coast and countryside. As for the bodyguard of the emperor: they should remain on their posts, as it would be most unfortunate if anything happened to his highness."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #224

Cursed

Sending the sailor from Iceland with a small group (ten) of Naga out to Iceland with a message saying:

Greetings Lord Shtaal Tundra, Cursed brings you greetings. We have engaged forces from Sweden and Germany, they spoke of you most reverently. We would like to offer an alliance. Our forces operate in the Baltic region and we would like to control this area. We understand you have set plans into motion and it is our belief that we could work together and help each other reach these goals.
    Yours in Shadows,
    Cursed.

Then he orders the want-to-be spies to go train with the Naga, in intel gathering and black Ops, and proceeds to split the prisoners up and move them around so that the spies are not known to the other prisoners.

Some Naga (Say those who were making ropes, which will be employed in this task) will start dragging the sunken ships to the dry dock to be looted and repaired. Naga will swim out to the other battlefield (where we lost) and will loot the ships that were sunk there as well, but leave them where they lay. The dry dock will receive extra attention from the new units working with the Orc's.

The goblins will start experimenting with underground combat.

15. - Top - End - #225

To Janos

Lord Janos:

Sadly, it is a violent time we live in, and my borders are not as secure as I wish them. Fortresses along my eastern and southern borders contain a significant portion of my forces. In addition, a war with the Bulgarians has further strained my military. I will certainly appreciate any rewards you wish to give, but demand nothing more than the satisfaction of seeing the Teutons defeated and the people of this land under righteous rule.

Your ally,

16. - Top - End - #226

OOC: I should have been more clear, it usually doesn't hurt to be specific, and moreso in this case since it is possible to blockade peninsulas with enough well-equipped ships and/or marines.

Quote Originally Posted by RationalGoblin View Post
    Janos Grunewald

Janos fiddled with an growing, overlarge canine tooth as he walked from village to village, instructing neutral and allied villages alike in ways to fight the Order, thinking over the messages and news he had discovered.

His eyes narrow as he thinks about the Holy Roman Empire's coup of Denmark. He supposed that they wouldn't be as receptive to his pleas of assistance, and even if the 'rightful' ruler of Denmark led his counter-coup successfully, he wouldn't be in any state to assist Jano's conquest. Hmmph. No matter. The Teutons would be more confident, and possibly ruthless in their fighting. That would lead to their downfall. Grinning slightly, Janos sends a message to Lord Unai, a powerful new ally with soldiers beyond mortal ken, like Janos himself.
    New reports indicate the Danish had exterminated some of their fey who retaliated with the coup. It appears the Imperials are intervening to restore the Danish monarchy and vow that they have naught but good intentions. Some Danish nobles are nervous despite their gratitude. The battle is going in the favor of the Danish and Imperials. At this rate the fey will be extinquished from another country.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    To the Regent:

Alejandro smiled as he read the message. This called for a personal answer. Closing his eyes, he began shaping a spell in his mind. For years now, he had focused on this, but getting distances, positions and relative velocities right was always tricky. Then, with a thought, he changed position with just enough air to make room for his body, appearing just outside the imperial palace.
    Nodding at the guards staring at him, he stated his name and purpose, then waited for the herald to introduce him.

"It is not advisable to withdraw all forces from the City. The turks are sneaky, and we have to keep defences up"
    The new Vice Battlelord of the Empire and King of Thrace pointed at the map on the table in front of the regent.
    I recommend leaving at least five thousand here, and another five thousand guarding coast and countryside. As for the bodyguard of the emperor: they should remain on their posts, as it would be most unfortunate if anything happened to his highness."
    The Regent nods sagely at you. "We will have fifteen thousand then after the reinforcements from the coast (and some of the islands) come in. The enemy is over thirty thousand in number but such an offensive reaction shall certainly direct their attention. We may be able to ably defeat them with the addition of your forces and defensive tactics."
    "As for the Bodyguard... Please accept my gift to you El Dan, from one colleague to another. The Emperor has many guards, and as the inept child he still is he is content to be idle in the Palace under the watch of our many excellent servants and soldiers."

Cursed

Sending the sailor from Iceland with a small group (ten) of Naga out to Iceland with a message saying:

Greetings Lord Shtaal Tundra, Cursed brings you greetings. We have engaged forces from Sweden and Germany, they spoke of you most reverently. We would like to offer an alliance. Our forces operate in the Baltic region and we would like to control this area. We understand you have set plans into motion and it is our belief that we could work together and help each other reach these goals.
    Yours in Shadows,
    Cursed.

Then he orders the want-to-be spies to go train with the Naga, in intel gathering and black Ops, and proceeds to split the prisoners up and move them around so that the spies are not known to the other prisoners.

Some Naga (Say those who were making ropes, which will be employed in this task) will start dragging the sunken ships to the dry dock to be looted and repaired. Naga will swim out to the other battlefield (where we lost) and will loot the ships that were sunk there as well, but leave them where they lay. The dry dock will receive extra attention from the new units working with the Orc's.

The goblins will start experimenting with underground combat.

Fifty of Lord Shtaal Tundra's ships are on the way, fully loaded with (mostly) Orcish and Iceland marines, another thirty ships loaded with troops your messenger reports back. Seems like the entire navy with exception of the fishing fleet is on its way to your aid. King Shtaal Tundra sends you a message 'that he will certainly help you against these dastardly racists' and has sent over half his force led by his most trusted Lieutenant to fight with you (condition to limited control under your supreme command).
    The training goes slowly, your trainers do well with their own but it is taking time for the captives and your teachers to accustomize and make up to/with each other.
    You have greay success, hauling in five ships and beginning reperations.

...list of racially modified nations...
    France (fey are interned w/ limited experiments except to the south, magic program to compensate for racial abilities of fey is underway, PC base in the south(east?))
    Byzantium (fey already fully royalized, internal deputization is underway, magic program is finished)
    Scotland (organized and allied with the scots but few left, largely went and died in England)
    England (increasingly Royalized as deputized forces of the Crown despite resentment among the general population for perceived racial injustices)
    Wales (same as England, but less so in all factor and areas)
    Spain (same as England but not quite as much) and the same goes for the following countries in declining order: Aragon (less than Wales), Portugal, Navarre, Majorca
    Ireland (increasingly riled up as the Scottish fey prior to the war)
    Sweden (magic program is well underway, fey wiped off from the mainland, PC base off of Gottland)
    Iceland (handed over/annexed willingly by/to local nationals/Shtaal Tunda)
    Norway (fey wiped out from lowlands, Frost Giants pushed back to the mountain, committed to oral peace treaty with the Norwegians, Sami to the north)
    Denmark (countercoup against Fey regime underway)
    Granada (fully deputized and royalized fey)
    Morocco (deputizing well into initial stages with foreign legion)
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2009-01-04 at 08:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Cursed

"Great news now we just need to find out what we're up against. Have the flyers check out the sea to gauge what we're up against. Also a brief scouting of the ports in the area to find out where ships and armies are massing. Don't fly into bow range just low enough to count the number of ships." Cursed paces back and forth for several long minutes. "We're not liked it seems. I think the best way to deal with such a thing is to simply make it unprofitable to war against us...."

18. - Top - End - #228

Janos

Janos grins as he learns more about and understands the conflict. Foolish fey. They'd never win. Still, the Holy Roman Empire's aiding of Denmark would only make it that much harder if his hopeful empire ran into any troubles with Denmark. Ah, well, Janos would think about that when he was good and ready. For now, another message to Unai.

Message to Unai:

"You're not asking for anything? A worthy ally you are, Lord Unai. Let our alliance of convenience last eternally. Thank you. The Teutons will be driven before our might. To make our friendship as unyielding as stone, I'll send as many troops as I can spare to help you against the Bulgarians."

Sent to help Unai:
    The 500 Trolls that built the barracks
    350 Orcs (the 50 that looked around for supernatural creatures, and the 300 that were working on towers)
    500 Kerberos (who weren't doing anything before now.)
    Orcish General Waldemar (spent two lieutenant points on him, if Puppy cares.)
    Last edited by RationalGoblin; 2009-01-03 at 01:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

To Janos

Lord Janos:

I certainly appreciate your gift, but I believe these troops would be better used fighting the Teutons. Once those corrupt men have been defeated and thrown out of power, I will gladly join you in punishing the Bulgarians alongside the Grand King Giedrius, another master of mystical creatures like ourselves. Please do not take this as a denial of your friendship, but rather a postponement of your gifts until our great enemy lies dead.

Your ally,

20. - Top - End - #230

To Unai:

"As you wish, Lord Unai."

The troops are withdrawn.

The 500 Trolls are sent in groups of ten each, to protect the allied and neutral villages.

The 350 orcs are sent back to continue to work on the towers in Janos's domain.

The 500 Kerberos are simply sent back to Janos's domain.

21. - Top - End - #231

Cursed

"Great news now we just need to find out what we're up against. Have the flyers check out the sea to gauge what we're up against. Also a brief scouting of the ports in the area to find out where ships and armies are massing. Don't fly into bow range just low enough to count the number of ships." Cursed paces back and forth for several long minutes. "We're not liked it seems. I think the best way to deal with such a thing is to simply make it unprofitable to war against us...."
    A month later the ships arrive, slightly battered and not quite at the numbers advertised. It seems they won a minor victory against an intervening force of about seventyfive Norwegian ships (half their remaining force) but lost eighteen combat ships on the way and five troop transport ships. Some of them were fished out of the sea as the battle occured on a still day.
    Unfortunately one of the Lieutenants sent by Shtaal Tundra drowned after his transport ship was sunk (he was on a transport ship since he was the Campaign Logistics Commander and those vessels are protected by the combat ships)

Thus you are reinforced by: (I'll make up characters for the Lieutenants later) A Grand Admiral, an Admiral, a Rear Admiral (NPC Icelander), Two Generals, a Diplomatic Representative, a Quartermaster and Vice Campaign Logistics Commander (NPC Icelander replacement), 32 Combat Ships w/ 50% marines (the Orcs were doing part time filling up as marines), 25 Transport Ships, 4000 Orcs, 2500 Nagas, 500 Kerberos, 650 Gryffons and 2 Ogres

The rest of the Norwegian navy has gone absent after the battle your scouts report.
    Some of your Gryphons had eggs already that hatch during this month, making up for a handful of Scouts that were lost somehow despite your orders to stay out of firing range.

You've heard news that some Russian and German fey might be coming to your aid, but that there's been a stir in English and even French sentiment, especially among their Paladins and Feyslayers. You've likely reinforcements on the way, but it feelings get worse and the soldiers are let go from their nations your enemies might start to receive volounteers sometime later too.

The Danish navy is occupied along the coast, they seem to number something above a hundred ships. The Swedes have roughly a hundred ships in their fleet, including about ten percent mercenary ones. They've reinforced the allied fleet which is back to a hundred ships (including about twenty mercenary ones), now nearly over half Swedish. Currently (if it's okay with Puppy) the German fleets are staying at their home ports or close to their home coastline. They don't fire at you or take any hostile action so your scouts are able to get accurate numbers. Your scouts did a comprehensive sweep and are moderately sure they have a hundred and fifty-five ships and another five in drydock though the lumber at the port indicates plans to build maybe half a dozen more. This is not counting the Order.
    Norway has the most marines but few reserves of marines, at about eighty percent current strength. Sweden is at three-fourths, which must have stretched the quality of their recruiting pool, but they seem to be conducting training exercises and have reserve manpower. The Danes are in chaos inland, but from what you've seen they're at above sixty percent and well organized. The Empire is at about half strength in marines, but could start training more though not too fast as they lack coastline. They have great resources though so should not be underestimated.
    Upon spotting your scouts one of the German principalities holds a field exercise, boasting a five thousand man army of highly disciplined troops. There's a war going on in Denmark at roughly 30,000 Imperials and over 20,000 Danes (counting Militias but not their islands off the coast where's there's smaller action occuring), the fey being outnumbered are being pressed towards their bases further inland on the mainland and seem to be fleeing towards what few Danish forests and Imperial forests border the country.
    The Norwegians probably have more than ten thousand troops, could probably go to thirty in extremes but that's about it. There's well over ten thousand troops in Finland, some of them indigenous. There's over thirty thousand troops in Sweden, a good portion of them mercenary. Coastal defenses and castles are most common in the central portions of Sweden, the Empire and Denmark. The Norwegians have some defenses too, and Swedish Finland a few on top of their maze of lakes, but there's little interest among the nations in that territory.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2009-01-04 at 09:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Javisua
    Spoiler
    Show

The reply comes from the Khan saying that the banners are similar to the ancient ones used by the Mongol hordes who invaded Europe.

Goblin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ones of the trolls makes a major screw-up and collapses a section of the monastery, the Smithy comes along quickly.

The Mercenary company agrees to fight for you. You manage to drum up a few dozen new recruits for your cause.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

23. - Top - End - #233

The East

Unai thanks the Khan for his help and then orders Gryffon scouts to search for any evidence of more groups of these centaur raiders, with orders to avoid getting killed at any cost.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaviSua View Post
    The East

Unai thanks the Khan for his help and then orders Gryffon scouts to search for any evidence of more groups of these centaur raiders, with orders to avoid getting killed at any cost.
    avoid getting killed at any cost?

anyway
    Spoiler
    Show
    your scouts find several more groups of centaurs raiding towns in the Khans land, most of 30-40 centaurs each. There are three groups of several hundred that seem to be circling around to hit the Khans major cities.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

25. - Top - End - #235

The Centaurs

Unai sends a few centaur emissaries to the larger raiding parties under the white flag of truce. The leaders of these bands are asked to stop their raiding and are offered a place in Unai's army with promises of plentiful food and a share of the plunder as the Lord of the Black Stone expands his empire.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Javisua
    Spoiler
    Show
    the centaurs treat your offer with derision, saying that they already have a much greater master. one of your centaurs takes offense at this. he is glue now.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

27. - Top - End - #237

Centaurs

Unai withdraws his emissaries, realizing the cause is lost. He orders the eastern fortress to be further protecting by wooden spikes driven into the ground, points facing outward, surrounding the main keep. Reinforcements are not sent just yet, but Unai prepares a small force should the centaurs make a move.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd also like to send a warning to the Khan letting him know that the centaur raiders number in the hundreds or thousands and they appear to be under a single ruler.
    Last edited by JaviSua; 2009-01-04 at 02:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Rational Goblin
    (Unless Puppy changes it to more or less.)
    Half of the specialist troops you requested arrive, but they are demoralized. The rest turned back when they heard news of the unrest while they were on their way. They neglected to send a messenger to you until now because they hoped they would be called back home and didn't want to be bound to you until they'd travelled to your lands.

Maritime Tech Advancements

In general western and northern European ships have been forced to evolve at a rapid pace over the last year. Costs are rising sharply, but the use of new magic and fey in countries have offset some of the cost where war has not temporarily damaged the economy or even set in a permanent dent: The changes are mainly as thus:

Defensive
    Stronger Hulls, Nets, additional Bilges, Spikes (not proven to be effective yet), Divers

Mixed
    Mermaid and Naga escorts
    Marine companies closer to or at full strength
    More Ships, more sailors, combat-capable sailors, sailors and marines that can swim

Offensive
    More Siege, Specialized Underwater Siege (just ballistas and catapults that penetrate the water or fall better), Longer-Range Siege (to deal with Gryphon attacks, this applies to land as well), Waterlock Compartments (w/ accompanying bilges), Magic

All in all, while the marines and sailors have been important and the offensive enchancements have retained some of the combat effectiveness the defensive enchancements have only recently begun to come online and are yet to see widescale testing in battle. Nagas in particular have proved themselves to be patient yet effetive warriors not too cost-conscious of their numbers (but moreso than others), and with recent developments within offensive underwater warfare they may have become even more effective by the time the battle for Gottland sund occured, dimming even the English disaster at Essex. Unfortunately they were outnumbered so we are yet to know, but should it be true that they did poorly then this truly speaks highly of their fighting skills that the casualty rates were up to half as effective as the battle of the Essex Coast (they died at right over 30 to 1, but took captives and saved people. Essex was 60 to 1). The Merfolk have proved far less capable so far, perhaps due to the fortunes of battle, but have displayed a strange willingness to die for the factions they have contracted to... perhaps they have sworn allegiance, what is in the works?
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2009-01-06 at 01:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Cursed

Smiling looking over his new force Cursed felt ready to take on the Swedish king and end this silly little problem. "Send out fliers to search for Swedish Sea patrols of 25 ships or less. Once located have the new Naga with the old ones who were used to pull in and loot ships (3.5k total), to attack only Swedish owned ships. Mercenary ships are to be ignored. Lets see how long the Swedish gold stays yellow."
    Turning over to look at the Marines getting off there transport ships. "Get two thousand Marines training in stealth Ops under the Naga, once fully trained have our fliers begin to drop them in over the Swedish/Finland border. Have them split up into small groups and create bandit groups, hiring from the local population, to attack Merchant Caravans. If they can set up groups, then move on to another area. Have them go to ground if the army comes through looking for them. In short, make trade by land unprofitable and dangerous."
    Turning to the new Diplomatic Representative "How would you like to run a small errand for me? Go over to Germany find some one with some governmental power and ask them what there position is with this little conflict with Sweden. Try to talk them out of joining into the battle and offer them an alliance with any other internal/external issues they might have. Do not reveal our location however." Turning away from him just as suddenly Cursed points at a Random Gryffion "You take him to Germany under a white flag"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Javsua
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Khan doesn't reply, but all the defenses and such get made well

Goblin
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Poles arrive, 10 thousand heavy infantry, 3,00 heavy cav, 1,500 wyrvens, and the host of free-men and renegades that clusters around any host that size.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp