New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Barrow of the Forgotten King. Chapter I

Rules for the game:
    Spoiler
    Show

1. I expect the players to post daily. Or at least, once every other day.
    2. If a RPing opportunity arises, and two or more are on at the smae time, that's fine with me.
    3. If it happens over the course of a few days, becasue the RPers are in different time zones, I'll let them go until I need the story to move along, or the moment is over.
    4. If something happens in RL, and you can't post for more than three days, I'd appreciate some notification, by PM please. Otherwise, I may decide that the character found a trap and didn't live to tell the tale.

Game Information:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adventure Background
    Kingsholm lies at the base of a series of rolling foothills. No one knows how long the community has existed; Ian Turbrand, the owner of the Coronet and Cabbage Inn, insists that someone from his family has run the hostelry for more than three hundred years. Kingsholm appears much like every other town in the land, with one exception... it's graveyard.

Built on and in nearby hills, the graveyard has existed for centuries. Some townsfolk believe the graveyard predates the community, and nearly all the people living in Kingsholm evince a particular pride in that fact. Prominent individuals who die in Kingsholm have the honor of being interred in the graveyard's mausoleum, the centerpiece of the graveyard. Kingsholm's guards, known as sentinels, patrol the graveyard almost as frequently as they patrol the community's streets.

The most notable feature of the graveyard actually lies a little over a mile north of the town, high up in the hills. There stands the statue of an ancient king. No one in Kingsholm knows who he was or why the statue was erected there, but the townsfolk live in awe of the monument. Indeed, while the common folk have no fear of their maintained graveyard, few venture up to visit the forgotten king.

What the PCs know.
    Two days ago, a family of mourners ventured up into the graveyard and didn't return. A pair of sentinels investigated, but these guards vanished as well. The townsfolk are in a panic. They've always heard rumors of disturbances in graveyards and tombs, but never has such misfortune struck in their town. They look to the PCs for aid.

The Beginning.
    The five adventurers walk and/or ride into town. They are slightly weary from travel and seek the shelter of the inn for the night.

The next morning, while eating their complimentary meal, they begin to hear the townsfolk talking about the events in the graveyard. They hear the family name Yurling floating around.

As they continue to eat, they hear a sudden commotion in the back room. The innkeeper, a woman in the uniform of the town guard, and a prosperous-looking dwarf stride through the doorway and into the common room. Unswervingly, the innkeeper walks up to your table.

Are you mercenaries? the big amn asks. He glares at you with dark eyes as if challenging you to deny it. Are you adventurers? We need brave and capable folk, right now, and we're willing to pay.

He pauses for only a moment. Mia says we have trouble up in the old graveyard, he indicates the woman in uniform. She looks uncomfortable, and you sense fear from all the onlookers. We need your help, and we need it now!

**Please post a short description of your character and any reactions to what has been said.**

Players and their characters.

ahzreal- Gnoll Barbarian- Thurrg Bloodfang.
    Akisa- Human Bard- Sandra.
    jvick- Human Cleric- Elorik Bonaduce.
    Tempest Fennac- Phanaton Wizard- Dem.
    Valgunn- Human Fighter- Babak.

Link to OOC Thread.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2008-11-24 at 01:03 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Barrow of the Forgotten King. Chapter I

Thurrg looks up at the man from his meal of extremely rare steak. His eyes are a bright yellow. He thinks his answer over for a moment and then decides that the truth would be the best. "Yes, I'm an adventurer." His speech was very bass, but fluent; surprisingly so, considering his race and profession. His grey-white fur glinted with the occasional red tinge in the soft light. He had not spoken for the others, because it was rude; Or he thought so. "If you need something killed, I can help you."
    I do the lurid thanky dance at Mechafox for my avvie.

The above avatar, made by Kwarkpudding, is one of my faves beause it depicts me!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Dem is a brown version of this creature. He is wearing a brown leather apron and he has bright green eyes. After being startled by the commotion, he stops eating his fruit. What do ya need help with? He sounds concerned. (Imagine him sounding like a certain cartoon chipmonk if you're not sure what he sounds like.)
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-11-24 at 04:21 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Elorik sighs and puts down his fork. "Well, I was going to look into that on my way out anyway, but if it is so pressing then why don't you take a seat and tell us just what you saw." He motions them to some nearby seats and slides his chair back to face them. "Thurrg here may be in it for bloodsport, but I would rather hear what it's about before I waltz into this."
    Last edited by jvick; 2008-12-08 at 10:04 AM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power Corrupts.
    Be smart. Be Evil!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The young bard who had introduced himself as Sandy, just sits back and plays a soft melody on his ocarina. He has very soft, almost feminine features. I'm with them. He says.

Babak the mercenary fighter, looks up at the innkeeper. His dull green eyes barely seen under the hood of his cloak. He says nothing and goes back to eating.

+++++++++++++

Ian looks at the five travelers. The day before last, three members Yurling family took their deceased grandfather to the mausoleum for interment preperations. Yesterday afternoon, their servants reported that they hadn't returned.

Mia Desarna, the Captain of the town guard steps forward. She is a fairly attractive woman, looking to be in her mid thirties. I sent two sentinels to investigate. They haven't returned, either. She takes on a stealy look. I'm reluctant to send any more in, if I don't need to.

Gran Stoutbrace pushes to front. He is a stout dwarf, with gold intertwined in his braided grey beard. He has the look of a wise dwarf, that has seen many years. Morgan is a good, hardworking man. He and his family are well liked in the community. It would be a shame to leave him to die in there. That is why we are asking if you'll investigate for us.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2008-12-08 at 01:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Dem looks worried.What d' ya think happened in there?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Elorik winces at the mention of going to the mauseleum, but then sighs and responds "Well, the shortest way to an answer is a personal investigation. Is there anyone with keys to get in, or a map to navigate? Or is it always open to the public?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power Corrupts.
    Be smart. Be Evil!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thurrg listens, tilting his head a bit to the side. "As Elder Drok would say: 'What lives in the sea?'" Thurrg smiles. He was recalling the time he'd heard about the time his clan had tried to explore an ancient elven burial ground. "I'll throw five silver over my shoulder if it isn't ghouls.. or something of the sort."

The above avatar, made by Kwarkpudding, is one of my faves beause it depicts me!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If we knew what was happening, we wouldn't need you to figure it out, now would we? Grunts Gran, giving the Phanaton a look.

Ian looks to Mia. I will send someone with the keys, to go with you. The keys are only for the first three rooms. And Ian will draw you a map. It will only take you into the first three rooms though. Beyond that, we haven't needed to go. She says.

I'll be giving each of you 50 gold, apiece, to investigate and report what you find. Ian says.

That sounds fair to me. Sandy adds in, a little excited by his first adventure. What do you guys think?

Babak continues to eat.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2008-12-10 at 05:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

To Gran. I was asking in case you had any clues at all about what the problem is. I know you don't know what the problem is yet....... To Sandy. It could be worth investigating it.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thurrg nods earnestly. "You have my best efforts at your hand."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Elorik stands up, and grabbing his pack says, "Well, that settles it then. How long until we can leave?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power Corrupts.
    Be smart. Be Evil!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Give Ian about an hour? Mia looks to Ian. He nods his head yes. To draw up the map. And you'll have your guide and the map, ready and waiting for you. Is there anything else you may need?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I have what I need thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thurrg nods in agreement at Dem. "I'm not lacking in anything I need."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Mia, Gran, and Ian leave the group alone, to prepare.

((If you wish to RP amongst yourselves, now would be a good time.))

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Think we'll be able ti handle this on our own? It sounds creepy......
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thurrg pats Dem heartily on the back, underestimating his strength. "Well, be fine! Trust me!" His voice was rather loud insinde the small tavern.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Dem is knocked over accidentally before getting back up again. I hope you're right.......
    Spoiler
    Show