New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trouble in the West (WUSHU) IC

OOC: Chaucer is definitely off to the church.

Also, I think FF assumed that this game had died over the weekend. I'll try to get back in touch with him.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Kate Madison
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Hey, you passed, no biggie) You hold the knife up to the light and begin studying it in detail. A quick analysis reveals that the knife would of been used for Ritual Sacrifice, although the organs of the sacrifice would probably not have been kept, due to the blade's shape and design. From this only you are able to deduce that whatever Cult you're dealing with probably doesn't stop at sacrifice and may include other activities, especially, as it would seem, summoning or curses. You are also able to tell that the materials used in the making of this knife are not local. A more detailed study will be required to figure out the exact materials the knife uses. (These are the basic facts you've uncovered from the knife. If you want to continue your investigation into the knife, you may do so and doing so might yield more clues about the Cult)

Chaucer
    Spoiler
    Show
    You head off to church, noticing the small town of Bell Rose awaking and opening their shops/going about their business. A bunch of school children run past you on their way to school, you can tell a few of them are slightly supernatural from your years of bringing up such children, although these seem only very slightly supernatural and will likely lead normal lives knowing nothing of their potential powers. You reach the church within a few minutes and push the two imposingly large doors of 'God' apart and enter the holy grounds. Today is not Sunday and as such, normal service is not held today. Still, there are a couple of people sitting in the seats, quietly praying to themselves and a few priests walking about the halls. Another amiss here, at least at first glance.
    I drew this line myself

3. - Top - End - #33

Chaucer

Chaucer shuffles uneasily for a moment on the threshold. He glances heavenward.

Hey, buddy. I'm trespassing, I know, but it's for a good cause. You're supposed to be all for those.

So, can I ask you for a little bit of professional courtesy when I'm lookin' around in your house? I don't think you want a cult in there either, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't raineth brimstone and damnation down upon mine fragile mortal form. Particularly if I happen to raise a ruckus.

Thanks in advance.

He reflects for a little while, then realizes he hasn't got anything else to say. So he shrugs and walks forward, doing his best to ignore the little puffs of steam that accompany every footstep.

Just be cool. Act natural.

Wait. No. Don't act natural. They frown on that kind of thing here. Act...uh...stuffy?

Sliding into a pew, he hastily clasps his hands.

"Glory to, um, God in heaven...and stuff...may he stay there for a long time...uh," Chaucer mumbles, but it's under-his-breath enough to sound holy. The pew trembles a little bit.

Come on! Not now.

"Something something overused shepherd metaphor, something something not worthy." The pew bucks underneath him, and he hastily slams the palms of his hands against the wood, pinning it in place. Then he looks around surreptitiously to see if anyone might have noticed.

Churches are echo-y places. People have noticed.

Crap. Crap crap crapcrap crap.

"Sorry, I was...um, briefly overcome by the heavenly majesty of the lord...such that I needed to slam my hands down and, uh, proclaim his glory? To a bunch of people already in a church? On a day other than Sunday? Yes, it was a most profound revelation and I'm gonna go leave now," He stands up and catches a faint whiff of smoke as he does so.

What?

Chaucer looks down at the place where his feet were resting against the pew. It's smoldering.

Oh ****.

"Excuse me?"

Chaucer looks up again, directly into the face of a priest. How did he get there so fast? "Uh, hello. Um. Father. Did I say something?"

The old man colors. "You did. The contents of which I shall not repeat in a house of God. In related news, you appear to have lit church property on fire."

"Whoops. Sorry 'bout that. I'll just put that out." Chaucer kicks at the pew. The pew dodges. It dodges straight up twenty feet in the air and begins to revolve slowly, burning all the while. "Right. I don't suppose ya'll have an exorcist or pope or something I can talk to?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Using my 'blendling' trait to try and get an audience with the highest ranking man of the cloth at the church. It's a 5 point trait. Feel free to roll as many dice as I earned.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-12-02 at 08:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Devil

Kate Madison

Once finished with the preliminary analysis and recording basic measures like color and density, Kate went to work. She grabbed the necessary materials from their proper locations. She took a sterile file and proceeded to file off a few shavings from the knife, the metal being inhumanly, or rather, inmetally strong and resistant. She had worked up a sweat simply by producing a few metal shavings, no more numerous than pencil shavings.

She evened out the shavings on several sheets of pill paper. The first batch, she tested with a solution designed to react to certain types of demonic metals. The second, she placed into a lit fire behind an impromptu blast shield, heavily scorched from previous testing, even for such a tiny event. The third, she placed into a wild gyroscopic device, to see if she could separate the molecules and suspend them in a different density solution. The fourth and final, she placed on a pair of churning, steam-powered goggles to view them under heavy magnification. This should help identify the properties of the metal.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, is five dice enough? 1 for base, 1 for each of the four tests?

5. - Top - End - #35

PirateCaptain

((In case you're wondering, I'll roll, record the results, then delete them for easier reading, if you want me to keep them, just say so. Or you can roll, it's up to you, I don't mind))

Chaucer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several priests and church go-ers scream and run at the demonic intrusion on the Lord's holy grounds. The priest you have been talking to is speechless, a little out of fear and breaks into a run for a door in the side of the church. Several seconds later the priest returns with what appears to be the Head Priest and his entourage. The Head Priest takes one look at the burning, revolving pew, then looks at you. "Is this you're doing?" He asks, pointing to the pew. Surprisingly calm for such an event. (So you passed and the head priest is here. Although what are you going to do about the pew? Will you require his help?)

Kate Madison:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of the several tests conducted, you learned that although the knife itself was of Earthly materials, it had been blessed by some kind of demon, as you found out when the batch began to fizz in the solution and from the knifes molecules. The knife was unaffected by the fire, perhaps because the demon's blessing had made it immune to fire or it had been made to resist the damages of fire. Under heavy magnification, you could see that the knife had actually been remade several times, using different metals from around the country. What was odd was that none of the metals used in remaking the knife were local, which made you wonder why the knife was here. Apart from this, there wasn't much else worthy of note about the knife. (You can try and use your knowledge of demons and such to try and gain more information, although there is nothing more to be learned from the knifes materials)

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-12-02 at 09:54 PM.
    I drew this line myself

6. - Top - End - #36

OOC: Rolling 9 dice, then. (1d6)[2],(1d6)[2],(1d6)[1],(1d6)[2],(1d6)[6],(1d6)[4],(1d6)[2],(1d6)[6],(1d6)[3],

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

The detail cap is 10 for this game
    ((Lolz))

Mort coughs lightly and thinks for a moment. He offers the house master a nice handful of change in exchange for being allowed to pick a girl of his choice for "a real morning wakeup." He is quick to point out the girl who seems to not be telling everything she knows.

Mort is led into a room that smells heavily of rose water and is dominated by a single large bed. He places a hand on the girls shoulder and as she turns to face him he pulls his glasses off. As she stares into his eyes he blows gently in her face and her whole body relaxes.

He cups a hand under the whores chin while she gazes at him with longing and plants a slight kiss on her lips. She doesnt recoil, and so he can be sure his power is having some effect.

"Before we begin i have a request to make. Would you be so kind as to tell me the truth about your recent clientele?"
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2008-12-02 at 10:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

PirateCaptain

Mort:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Would you also like me to roll for you? As said in my post above, I'll delete, but record the results for easier reading, unless you want me to leave the roll in. Of course, that doesn't matter if you're rolling, but it doesn't hurt to ask. From that post I reckon about 7 die should be awarded and rolled against your Bewitching skill, which I believe is 3.)
    I drew this line myself

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

((You can roll. I dont do too well with the die roller script (i have stories. Horror stories. I do like to see the results however.))

10. - Top - End - #40

OOC: Whoops. Didn't see the part where you said you'd roll. Rolling is all yours.

Chaucer

"My doing? Absolutely not! That would be flat out impossible and..." Chaucer catches a look from the head priest. "Well, okay. Maybe it's a little bit my fault, but I didn't do it deliberately. I'm a little overdue for my last exorcism, and I promise I'll pay for the damages. Whenever it comes back down." He eyes the pew, which is still happily twirling. "In any event, I came here because I had a few questions for you, father. They're partly about matters of the spirit, but they also concern the safety of your congregation. Could we talk in private?
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-12-02 at 11:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Devil

Kate Madison

After she finished all of her scientific examinations, she started comparing her notes to what she knew about demons.

She turned toward her shelf and pulled out a timeworn tome, the pages yellowed and crinkled. She opened the book and used the fine satin bookliner to help mark her pages. She unconsciously shivered, the long thing reminding her of Chaucer's disgusting tongue.

She looked up demons from Damascus and Japan. Both countries were known for their metalwork, for albeit different reasons. She increased the magnification on each different piece, making notes for the different colors and textures. Where dark metal and light metal intersected, she took note of the differing thickness and densities, trying to ascertain where the metals came from.

She also checked the hilt wrappings, seeing if the leatherwork was from any place she knew. Why would this be? If the demons from Damascus and Japan didn't happen, maybe some sort of demonic ritual. She turned the page to demonic rituals of transmutation. If it wasn't there, she looked up ritual implements to see if there was some sort of related instrument.

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateCaptain

Mort
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d6)[4][6][4][2][6][6][4](32)

(Only 1 success, hmm.... Luckily for you, 1 success was all that needed as the whore isn't very strongly willed. Although in the future, strong-willed people will require more successes)
    It is a good thing that the whore is somewhat tired and open to you, otherwise the attempt at Bewitching may not have worked. The whore begins to reel off a list of seedy encounters, not just with other men. Most seem innocent, as far as whoring goes, until the reach the one particular incident. The whore recalls that she was to service a dark robed man and led him up to her room. Once there, he gave an odd set of instructions. To cut a long story short, he began to brag about his 'Brothers' and their 'big plans' for the world, while he began chanting in a strange language. The whore then continues on a few encounters before stopping. It is difficult to say for sure from the whore's account whether or not the cult indulges in sexual rituals or that its members just generally involve themselves in such pleasures at their own discretion.

Chaucer
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Very well. Accompany me back to my private chambers, unless you'd rather speak outside?" Asks the Headpriest.

Once alone with the Headpriest he explains his calmness. "You must forgive the others for such fear of the supernatural, they are young and ignorant, especially in the House of God. I, however, have seen many things in my time. Now tell me, child, what can an old priest do for you?"

Kate Madison
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Rolled against your Knowledge of Demons, passed with flying colours)

Your study into the Demons from Japan and Damascus yields many possible suspects. Some fire demons, capable of blessing weapons such as the knife; others metal demons capable of forging themselves into weapons, although you were pretty sure the knife wasn't a demon.

Upon closer inspection of the interchanging metals, you found there to be dozens of metals from around the world, which was interesting to say the least as the cult would need vast sums of money to be able to aqquire such materials.

The leather on the hilt seemed to come from America, at least. It appeared to be a dark cow-skin hide. Fairly common in leather items in America. Although this was the only part of the knife that had not been replaced, as seen by the tatty quality of the leather.

As for rituals, there was at least a dozen different rituals using a knife alone and you had no idea if any other equipment was used in the ceremony.

Without knowing more about the cult itself and the rituals they would of been using, it is impossible to say exactly what the knife would of been used for, other than to kill or draw blood. It is also difficult to say what demon or demons are behind this sinister cult.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-12-04 at 06:25 AM.
    I drew this line myself

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Vincent emerged from his daytime coffin, and headed out into the nightime streets looking rather peeved after having commanded the days events from a simple barmaid.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Mort gets a discription of the cultist from the girl, including his accent if he has one, and then he leaves. Staying with the whore is tempting, but he doesnt want her to hate him when the charm wears off of her. He puts on his glasses and walks through the side wall of the building and back to the inn.

Once their he hunts down Kate.
    Its a cult, possibly patriarchal, not one person. At least, i assume so. The odds of a lone warlock owning such a knife in a town with a cult (which i found out this area has) are low. They dont conduct their chants in English or Spanish ((the two languages a western whore would recognise)) and at least one of them *insert whores description here*.
    It would seem like you have been working with the knife; what did you find out?

((I picture the man as a big russian guy. Dont know what you intend him to look like tho, Mr. DM))

15. - Top - End - #45

Devil

Kate Madison

"The knife is made out of a composite of metals. Japan, Damascus, different sorts of metal combined together. Not melted down and made into one, the pieces are distinct. Specialized forging, very expensive. Blessed by a demon, obviously it's not a cult with no demonic patron." Kate removed her goggles to face Mort. The result of scientific testing helping suppress the bile in her throat for working with him.

16. - Top - End - #46

Chaucer

Chaucer studies the head priest's quarters carefully. He isn't looking for anything obviously occult, just dogmatic. Perhaps the priest is unorthodox in a few small ways. "Father, there was an object discovered underneath one of the pews of this church that has caused me great concern. It was a blade, about so large," Chaucer holds his hands at about the length of the knife, "and it was not meant for honest work. There was a--I guess the right word is a smell--to it. Acrid. Bitter. Toxic. Like biting into a penny that had lain too long beneath swamp mud. If you know someone in your flock who might have owned a knife like that, then it is urgent that I talk to them."

Perhaps it's a long shot, but Chaucer wrinkles his nose and sniffs discreetly at the air, half-expecting to pick up the lingering scent of the knife.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaucer's tongue is demonic. Taste and smell are extremely similar senses. I figure he can smell unholiness if it's strong enough. Let me know if that doesn't work. I'll edit my post.

Also, roll against Blendling (5) to see if the priest is linked to the cult.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Mort adjusts his glasses, his eyes veiled, and gives Kate a slight nod.

Then we know what we are up againt, but not were to find them.

He turns and leaves, actualy bothering to open the door on his way out.

18. - Top - End - #48

PirateCaptain

Vincent
    Spoiler
    Show
    (You have anything you'd particularly like to be doing at this moment in time? You don't have to follow the game's story, in fact it might interesting to see where you'd end up. Whatever you decide, half of the team is back at The Angry Boar, if you want to trade information.)

Mort
    Spoiler
    Show
    (The guy in the whore's description was darkly robed, it would of been difficult to of seen many distinct features on him. Although the whore mentioned that he was white, seemed fairly young, not very fat or thin, not very tall or short. So not too much to go on there.)

Chaucer
    Spoiler
    Show
    (That ability seems fine and I'm confused at what Blending would be helpful in this situation for. Either way, no need to roll as he isn't in fact Cult related, which I'll IC RP now.)

The room has a cozy feel to it, partly because it's not that big. It is big enough for a couple of book cases filled with books, a desk and a few chairs and some standing space. A large window which reaches from the floor to the ceiling is behind the desk and one of the chairs, which the Head Priest sits in. There is nothing unholy to smell or taste in this room, in fact, it reeks of the holy. Downstairs in the main Chapel area the smell of the unholy was a slight background smell, partly due to the knife and the general sins of the confessees there. At the mention of the knife, the Head Priest looks up. "I do not know of any of my children that could be capable of such a thing. Granted, some of them are a little arrogant and have yet to fully embrace God truthfully, but they would never stoop to such a violent low. However, a strange man did see me late one night. I was down in the Chapel area downstairs, when he approached me. He wore dark robes and approached me to confess his sins. I told him I would listen to his sins and pronounce him clean if he repented, since the other priests had gone to bed as it was late. He began renouncing sins of great variety and complexity and once he was finished I begun the cleansing ritual. However, he suddenly began patting himself down, apparently having lost something. I asked him what was wrong and he ran from my sight out of the church doors. I thought him to be strange, but nothing more. Now that someone such as you has come asking about it I see that it was no longer strange, but possibly dangerous. Do not seem so surprised at my ease of your presence, I have lived many years of my life in the House of God and seen many things that would test my Faith to the limits. Over time, my Faith allowed me to feel at ease with such things and I am no longer surprised by them, nor do I fear them."
    I drew this line myself

19. - Top - End - #49

Chaucer

Chaucer runs his tongue against the back of his teeth. "I'm not dangerous to you, and I appreciate the show of tolerance. Supposedly, father, that's what your faith's all about. Of course, I imagine my presence is making the other priests nervous. I'll get out of your hair as quickly as possible, but I have one more question to ask. It's a little unsavory, but every detail you can remember might help me.

Can you recall any of the sins that the man listed? I need to know who he's endangering."

20. - Top - End - #50

PirateCaptain

Chaucer
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Head Priest chuckles. "I know from experience that the supernatural can be a boon sometimes. My students will learn this in time and be better able to control their fear." He says. "Let me think for a moment." Says the Head Priest, rising from his chair and moving over to the window and gazing out of it. "From what I recall he confessed to several sins of adultery, stealing, murder and intoxication. He didn't go into any detail about them much. I am sorry I cannot be of greater help." He sighs, turning to you. "I wish you luck on your quest. May God bless you." He makes the sigh of the cross across his chest.
    I drew this line myself

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Vincent examines the knife with his super knowldge. Hopefully he could figure out something about it. Failing that he will think of potential noble's in the local area which could afford to create such a blend of metals, and at the same time make a handcrafted hilt.

22. - Top - End - #52

Devil

(Psst. Kate's already examining the knife)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

((Well, then I do the second action as the first one obviously fails from your already having it.))

24. - Top - End - #54

Chaucer

Chaucer takes a reflexive step back from the cross, but it doesn't exactly disintegrate him with scalding God-rays but it does make his skin feel a little bit uncomfortable. "Thanks, father," although I might be a lot better off without divine attention on me, "please let me know if you see this man again. Don't try to detain him. Just do exactly what you did before: talk, and see if you can learn a little more." He turns to leave and then adds "uh, God bless you too, I guess," before ducking awkwardly out of the priest's quarters.

He hurries back outside, taking care to avoid the small corps of priests with stepladders that has assembled to combat their spinning, burning pew.

OOC: Heading back to the bar.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

Mort sits at a table and very slowly drinks a mix of soda water, rum, and grape juice. He is "busy" taking apart examining his revolver piece by piece.

26. - Top - End - #56

Chaucer

"Howdy." He sinks down into a seat at the opposite end of the table. "You had any luck with your leads? All I got was a vague list of sins. Adultery, larceny, murder, and intoxication...hmm." Chaucer pauses for a second, "that didn't really strike me before, but adultery? Really? I wasn't aware cultish types married. I mean, chanting dread rituals in the moonlight tends to chase a lot off a lot of the eligible ladies. Eligible human ladies. Hmmm." The second "hmmm" is a lot more pronounced than the first. "I think I'm going to go consult with my fiance."

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaucer Yogsotharoth Templeton is engaged to the lady Bethariel Alzifer (Bethany to her friends,) of the second circle. She's a succubus with silky blond hair and bat wings, but works hard to keep her profession and her love life separate.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Mort arches an eyebrow at the last comment but lets it pass. He takes another sip.

Well, at least one demonologist them visited a brothel. He spoke an unusual language and was pretty clearly cult affiated. Probably the same guy. Do you know a shaman or witch? If we have his knife then we can use sympathetic magic to track him down.

28. - Top - End - #58

Chaucer

"That's a possibility, but I don't think I know anyone who can do that. That's one more thing for me to ask Bethany about, I guess.

Although, if you want a simpler solution we could just stick the knife hilt deep in the town square, stake out the spot, and wait for an interested party to pick it up. I got the impression that the man who lost the knife was a little flustered. Maybe because it could get him in trouble with his buddies. I bet he'll be in a hurry to reclaim it."

29. - Top - End - #59

Devil

Kate Madison

"Or take it to an appraiser. If they're as well-connected, or as desperate as you suggest," Kate adds, coming up from the labratory, her goggles hanging from her neck. "Then they'll know that whoever finds it will want to sell it unless they're a cultist as well."

30. - Top - End - #60

Chaucer

"I suppose. It makes it easy to lose track of the knife, though. And for the appraiser to get hurt. Then again, my plan puts the whole town at risk, but we need to draw them out.

I'm going to go do a bit of summoning. See if I can't find another lead."

Chaucer stands up, heads upstairs, and fishes a nondescript black box from underneath his bed. He hauls that down to the basement, flips the lid open, and begins to withdraw little bits of occult paraphernalia.

Chalk. Rosemary. Velvet. The blood of a stray cat smeared on a silver needle under the black light of a new moon. A thin vial of foreign perfume. A straw doll and a candle.

Chaucer draws a steady circle on the stone with the chalk, then sprinkles rosemary carefully within. After that, he trims the velvet into a miniature dress with the razor edge of his tongue and places it carefully over the shoulders of the doll. Taking the pin, he slides it through the underside of one of the doll's hands, giving it a tiny scepter. Chaucer brushes perfume over the shoulders of the doll and positions it in the middle of the summoning circle. Then he lights the candle and touches it to the straw.

It burns thick and oily, sending up little herbal puffs intermittently. Chaucer sits back to wait and to fiddle with his ring.