New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: NPX: Gates of the Shadowkeep

Elthan

Elthan takes in the two wise-mens words with a puzzle-glance, as if trying to determine if they were making some part of it up, or perhaps was already settled on the thought. He certainly didn't care for their elaborations on faith, but found it none-the-less odd and curious. "Now, I've never liked religion in the least, but I do recall that the Sun was the domian of Lathander, who had himself a number of brightly decorated temples around. Now about death I again have never heard the words Raven and Queen in the same sentence until now. As I know, the god of Death is Kelemvor, a typically described kind and earnest fellow who likes to wear black robes. The plane mortals were judged on after life was called 'The Fugue', were if you didn't really believe in the gods then you'd be shoved into the wall that surrounded the city of the dead with all the other disbelieving souls to be tormented for eternity by marauding demons."

The half-elf stops a moment to watch the expressions on the two. Even he found the last thought bizarre, despite it being a constant cosmological truth. Catching his breath, he begins again. "Now, what bothers me isn't that we have different views on what deities exist. No, after feeling a disconnection from the Weave, I was quite expecting it. What troubles me is that we have similarities. Corellon is the god of the elves, master of nature and arts of all kinds; Tiamat is lord of the dragons with five heads on his body, each a different color representing his domination of each breed; Lolth is the Spider Queen, ruler of the underdark and Matriarch of the dark-elves. I have no doubt we will agree that those descriptions are true. This is troublesome, because with this evidence it is hard to tell if we are on some alien world, in another plane of mortals, or merely somewhere else on Toril in strange circumstances."
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2008-11-28 at 04:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Darros

Darros perks up at the mentions of his lord, Corellon. "The god Corellon is present in this place as well. I feel his presence in the weave of magic, and every spell I cast. I know Corellon as the creator of all the races of elvenkind, and the patron of all magic. Here he also guides those of the arts, and sometimes those of nature revere him as well. I am an acolyte in his Order, paying homage through my arcane arts."
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2008-11-28 at 05:39 PM.
    Ferret in the Playground!

3. - Top - End - #123

Each block of stone sits nestled within its own alcove, forming a small shrine of sorts.

The symbols are ancient and unfamiliar. But when you take some time to examine the shrines closely, some connections are made ...

Darros recognizes the star as an archaic symbol of Corellon. Its position opposite the alcove containing the spider stone suggests his god's antagonism with Lolth.

Addis rubs his raven feather as he approaches the stone marked with the raven's skull which no doubt represents the Raven Queen.

Patash is repelled by the dragon skull shrine, finding himself drawn instead to the shield of Bahamut.

Atoly kneels down by the block inscribed with the castle symbol. The castle is generic, depicting a portcullised gate flanked by two crenellated towers. He is strangely comforted by this symbol of order and law.

Some of the other alcoves are identified as well, including the broken skull of Vecna and the sun of Pelor.

Fizahn ignored the shrines for the most part, and Mazon is disappointed not to find a shrine dedicated to Avandra, goddess of luck and change.

The doors at the far end of the gallery are again unlocked and untrapped. Splashing water can be heard from behind the doors ...

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel

"I... I'm not hurt. But I remember dying and now I'm alive but not... not the same. I wish this was a joke but I don't think it is."
    Tiriel looks at the woman with the feathers in her hair and frowns.
    "Who on earth are you? You look like Kahzael but you don't act like him and you're... Well, you're female."

Tiriel feels a bit better at the thought that someone else might be just as messed up as she is. But guilty too. She'd liked Khaz and she hopes that this woman knows what happened to him.

The symbols engraved on the stones mean nothing to her. Many are generic enough to mean almost anything the viewer might wish and the others are just decorations, though rather odd.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2008-11-28 at 07:44 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

Atoly Magivol

As the others discuss the merits of their faith, Atoly remains kneeling before the shrine. A soft snort and a quiet mumble escape his lips, "You may pray to your false gods if you wish."

Tracing the right tower with his hand, he voices his thoughts aloud. "This is what I revere. The strength of mortared stone, ambition, and forged steel together forming the seats of law and order. Civilization spreads from these works of man and dwarf. Armies march as the edges of the map are filled in and the monsters slain. The future will be a more civilized age, cities and castles ruled by the just. All of it without the need of powerless gods."

Placing his palm flat against the center of the image, Atoly then stands and walks to observe the irritable gnome's progress with the next set of doors.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

Kavri: Blond, blue-eyed elf

Kavri looks around taking in the scenery, but Gods have never really mattered much to him. He laughs internally as various talks of piety arise from the group. He wonders briefly how well his supposed dual worship of Avandra and Melora would be received, but then he goes back to the more important matters. I'm still cold. I don't want to be cold. He opens the doors at the far end of the gallery, proceeding onward.

7. - Top - End - #127

Aeroz

Aeroz sneers at Atoly's statement.

"Well, I know for sure that my god is real and definitely not powerless. After the stern talking to he gave me, as well as booting me out of my afterlife. And if Corellon has influence here then...I don't know."

Turning his attention to Tiriel's point, he gawks at Khazz.

"And Khazrael...why are you a woman?"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #128

Harsk

Harsk waits patiently for his tea to finish, then offers some to anyone still waiting by the meager fire. The strong tea warms his heart and chases away the clinging cold of the precipitous night. He feels new energy fill his mind and seap into his limbs. He savors the tea slowly, taking little heed of the happenings at the other end of the hall. When he finally finishes, he notices that the minotaur flanked doors have been opened and some of the others have wandered in. Not wanting to be left behind, he slinks off into the shadows of the large hall towards the candle lit room. He catches only the last of the proselytizing as he enters, hardly noticing Moradin's absence among the fourteen symbols.

"Stop yer sqwaking ya zealotous lot. I don't wanna end up collecting pidgeon dung again cause ye couldn't hold yer tongues. Last time something here took notice of our presence wasn't pleasant."

That said he makes his way to the far end of the room and waits for the two so called owners of the towers to decide what to do next.
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    But isn't it a racial power of college students to obtain various materials for free over the internets from "legitimate sources"?
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

9. - Top - End - #129

Kavri pushes past Fizahn and pulls open the doors at the far end of the hall. The half-elf shivers as a cold wind drives freezing rain into the doorway.

The doorway opens into a courtyard roughly 75' wide and 50' deep. A fountain stands in the center of the courtyard. A rough hewn stone block stands at the base of the fountain, surrounded by a pool of water. The block resembles the small altars within the long gallery, but it has no inscription.

Single doors exit the courtyard to the right and to the left. Another pair of double doors exits from the far side of the courtyard.

10. - Top - End - #130

Kazz

Kazz directs a helpless look first to Tiriel, then to Aeroz, whose question heaps more emphasis on the confusion.

"I don't know who I am. I remember Khazrael a little bit, but I don't think we're the same person. Who is he, what was he doing with you all?"

She sighs, "I have no idea what happened. Other than a few memories of him, and some faint ones about some of you, I can't recall anything before I waking up just now."

The wave of cold from the newly-opened door sets her to shivering again.

11. - Top - End - #131

Tiriel

Tiriel stares at Kazz. "But that that doesn't..." well dying and coming back to life doesn't make much sense either. "I don't understand anything anymore." She grumbles the sudden wind sending her her blond hair whipping around her face.

"Khazrael was helping us. We got in a lot of bad situations near the end but he always did his best to help. In the end I don't even know if we did the right thing, but at least we tried. He was something of a friend, and I hope he's okay."
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2008-11-29 at 07:55 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Ginevra

Ginevra walks to the right side of the room and traces the moon symbol in the first alcove with her finger. She listens to her friends' conversations, and shivers as the rush of cold air washes over her.

"Hey, Darros... Or Harsk, or Patash. Whoever knows this. To which god does this symbol belong?"

She turns towards the room again, glancing at the open door to the courtyard.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

13. - Top - End - #133

Kavri: Blond Elf

Kavri frowns. The freezing rain was not exactly what he had in mind. Dash through the courtyard hoping there's warmth on the other side or stay here in definite cold? Heat anywhere is unlikely... Kavri shuts the door, not sure what to do next. He leans beside the door, watching the others.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

Atoly Magivol

Facing Aeroz with mild embarrassment Atoly speaks. "You have good ears but poor understanding. As I said you are free to worship whatever you choose to, but do not count me among any of the faithful. The day gods cease demanding obedience and begin to do things themselves is the day I'll convert. Until then I serve only my liege and myself."

Watching Kavri's retreat from the rain, the noble remarks dryly, "Clearly this isn't the best path to search. Perhaps the other rooms will provide something useful." The noble waits for a brief moment before heading back to the door into the gallery.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Darros

Darros walks away from the rude shrine to Corellon, murmuring. He honors his god through every spell he casts, mundane prayers merely supplement this greater devotion. Glancing to the side, he tells Ginerva the name of Sehanine, goddess of the moon, trickery, illusion, and love. Walking next to Atoly, he gives the human a long, hard look. "Baron, I would not label you faithless. Though you may not know his name, your dedication to the ideals of law and order are like to those of the god Erathis, he who advances the banner of civilization in the world. As for obedience to his or any other deity's whim...it seems to me that you already honor his commandments with your singular loyalty. That castle is sometimes one of his symbols...I am not surprised you were drawn to it."
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2008-11-30 at 12:05 AM.
    Ferret in the Playground!

16. - Top - End - #136

OldWizardGuy

Davek

Keeping silent through most of the conversation on religion, when Anatoly suggests heading back to one of the other rooms Davek agrees. I'd rather continue to look around indoors than expose ourselves to such lovely weather as what we have outside. Why don't we see what the other two doorways have to offer? Just before attempting to leave, Davek pauses and for a moment appears to be deep in thought. You've been puzzled by the existence of some of these deities within each of your realms, and you seem to assume that Corellon has a twin on Toril. I on the other hand wonder if these gods don't simply preside over multiple realities. What we take to be distinct and separate realms may be less so for them, enough that they can manifest their powers in more than one world. Just a thought. He then appears a little disturbed for a moment, then continues. Also, plucking us from our own realities and depositing us here must have required considerable amounts of magic. I wonder who or what could bring that much power to bear, and more to the point, if anyone else has been brought here in a similar fashion before we were. But that's not a question we're likely to answer soon. Shall we head back and continue our exploration?
    Last edited by Nahal; 2008-11-30 at 04:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Kazz

"I hope so too," she replies. "Maybe when we find him he can explain things for us."

As Kavri begins to close the door, Kazz glances over at him and holds up a hand. "Before you do that," she says, "Someone should take a look at that fountain. Maybe its former owners left us a clue as to the function of this place."

Her posture and tone suggest in no subtle fashion that she will not be the one venturing into the cold.

18. - Top - End - #138

Fizahn:

Fizahn sighs and shakes his head as everyone starts talking about Gods. Deities. They change so rapidly, why even bother keeping track? They don't even help. Why do people believe that they're so awesome? All their in-fighting and squabbling. Not worth anything. His train of thought is interrupted when Kazz says someone should examine the fountain. "And you're not willing to examine it yourself? I guess that means it's up to the gnome to go out in the pelting rain. Lovely." Fizahn reopens the door that Kavri had just closed and walks out to the fountain. "Don't know what person would leave any type of clue at any fountain," he mutters as he searches the fountain. "Door better be open with some form of warmth waiting for me."

OOC: Perception: - (1d20+5)[8]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Mazom

Mazom follows Fizhan out into the rain, holding up his sunrod and spreading light. He shudders slightly in the rain, but is dressed in a thick mantle as protection from the rain.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception - (1d20+3)[16]

20. - Top - End - #140

Fizahn and Mazom brave the icy rain to examine the fountain in the middle of the courtyard.

Light reflects off of the fountain and the small pool of water surrounding the stone block. The rippling waves of light on the face of the block change ceaselessly.

A flash of lightning illuminates a small keep tucked into the mountainside. It lies beyond the doors on the other side of the courtyard. Thunder follows some seconds later. The storm seems to be moving farther away. The rain begins to thin ...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

When the others went into the central door he did not follow right away, lingering behind for a moment to look at the other two set of doors before following into the room that seemed to have many impromptu little shrines to various gods. Or at least thats what they appeared to be to him and he did know quite about religions. Or he thought he had, knowledge that was a bit shaken up considering that he recognized almost none of these symbols. That was why he remained silent as the others discussed who these gods apparently were, his gaze fixated on the shattered skull one.

Callos didn't recognize it, how could he? But it seemed familiar to those that also had a focus on death and perhaps thats why he felt a slight draw to it. All sorts of bad memories came with it...

And then the next thing he knew everybody was moving unto the next chamber to leave him standing alone, making him shake his head as if coming out of a stupor and turning about the other way. With a glance back at the others he retreated back to the gallery and turned to the minotaur doors once more. The noise suggested that something lay behind them, perhaps something worth investigating and that is why he tried to crack the door open wide enough to catch a peek inside.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Mazom

Mazom turns to Fizhan. "Now, my gnome friend whose name I forgot, is that your keep? Do you wish to inspect it right now or continue to look around to see whats behind the other doors?"

23. - Top - End - #143

As Mazom and Fizahn stand in the rain, light glints off the bottom of the pool of water at the base of the fountain. A number of coins lies at the bottom, perhaps tossed there for good luck. Many of the coins are copper, but some are silver and a few are gold.

Most of the others remain in the hall of shrines. A few continue to huddle around the dwindling fire in the entrance hall.

Callos breaks off from the others and walks over towards the minotaur doors. Opening one a crack, he pokes his head in. The glowing stone hovering over his shoulder illuminates a narrow hallway that makes a sharp turn and disappears into the darkness.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

Atoly Magivol

The youth faces Darros with a hint of a glare. "Sir, in all the discussion of religion I made but one request. And yet, mere moments after I utter it, you turn to me and ignore it. What happened to our agreement of civility? If you had the same poor manners as our other companions I would have to demand satisfaction for such an affront."

"However, I am at a disadvantage here. If you would tell me your title, putting us on even footing, then I would be persuaded to overlook your transgression."

25. - Top - End - #145

Kazz

Kazz gives Fizahn nothing more than a smile as he grudgingly volunteers himself to head outside. She watches him mutter as he goes, noting that despite all the fuss, he stepped up pretty quickly. Some part of him must have wanted to do it.

Her musing is interrupted by Callos, who stands at the periphery of the crowd and fiddles with the door. The haughty composure she had erected is shaken somewhat when she steps on a sharp bit of loose stone and gives an odd yelp, which is vaguely embarassing, but at least gets the wizard's attention.

"What do you see?" Kazz asks, rubbing the ball of her foot with one hand.

26. - Top - End - #146

Kazz pokes her head out of the gallery of shrines to see what Callos is up to. She sees him walk to the far end of the entrance hall and crack open one of the minotaur doors.

A soft sound makes her turn around. She catches a glimpse of the very human-looking half-elf ("Grynde") disappearing though the hippogriff doors. Something about the awkward way his arms flail as he vanishes causes her heart to skip a beat.

Callos leans back out of the minotaur doorway, "What did you say?" he asks.

The hippogriff doors stand open. You are pretty sure they were closed before.

OOC: Please try to keep track of where you are. Possible locations include: (1) standing by the small fire in the entrance hall, (2) in the hall of shrines, (3) in the fountain courtyard, or (4) by one of the doorways connecting these locations.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2008-12-01 at 08:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

The necromancer's head snapped around when Kazz lets out her yelp, hand raising instinctually in a gesture he had always used to launch a lightening bolt or something of the sort against an enemy, though nothing came of the motion. With a relieved sigh Callos lowered his arm and glances across the way to the hippogriff doors.

Those weren't open a moment ago.. Eyes narrow as he quietly pulls the minotaur door shut and steps away from it and stops so he'd be in plain view of the other hall in case something else happened. Why did he suddenly have a cold feeling in the pit of his stomach?

"Stay there and tell me what you saw." The gruff former-necromancer says sternly, eyes never wavering from the dark portal that had, unbeknownst to him, claimed Grynde. With a little exertion of his will he sends the skeletal hand forward with it's glowing rock, sending it into the darkened doorway while he kept his distance from the portal.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Atoly Magivol

Upon hearing Kazz's yelp of pain, Atoly whirls to face her with sword in hand. The sight of her hopping on her foot prompts him to roll his eyes while returning his weapon to its sheath.

OOC: Atoly is in the Hall of Shrines, standing near the door to the Entrance Hall. His hands are empty.

29. - Top - End - #149

Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs as Mazzom asks about the castle. "All I know is that I own one of the castles and Callos owns the other. We don't know which is which." His eyes linger for a second on the coins in the fountain, but he leaves them be. "Let's get back to the others. I don't know if you noticed, but I'm slightly unarmed right now." Fizahn walks back over to the door and opens it to get back to the main group. "Still cold and raining out there, for those of you who were wondering."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Ginevra

Ginevra walks to the right side of the room and traces the moon symbol in the first alcove with her finger. She listens to her friends' conversations, and shivers as the rush of cold air washes over her.

"Hey, Darros... Or Harsk, or Patash. Whoever knows this. To which god does this symbol belong?"

She turns towards the room again, glancing at the open door to the courtyard.
    Addis Qatur

"If the other symbols here belong to the gods, I would wager that symbol belongs to Sehanine. In our world she is the goddess of the Moon, the Lady of Autumn breeze. She is also the goddess of trickery and illusion, which of course makes her the goddess of love." Addis chuckles at the last part before continuing, "Most importantly she is one of Corellon's sisters, and the patron of elvenkind... Forgive me. I could go on all evening, lecturing about the gods."

Spoiler
    Show

Forgive me if I've divulged too much information without a religion check. I figure the basics of cosmology and this worlds pantheon would be taught to any and all clerics. If nothing else an elf would about Sehanine, Corellon, and Lolth.
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-12-01 at 10:39 PM.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan