New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Age of Ruin IC: The final battle

Everyone on the ship looks around in surprise as there is a flash of light, a whoosh of air, and two small dragons appear, Kaleff and Ismal polymorphed.
    They see that everyone is still around the boat, but that Draven is talking to two real dragons, Gadirir and Khael'an, who seem surprised to see two new dragons joining them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: The final battle

Ismal

"Well done, Kaleff. Your skills and magic may have saved us all. And now unfortunately, the time for subtlety is past."

One of the two dragons rises up onto its hind legs. Her voice reaches into every mind can sense in range. And there is a cold urgency in that voice.

"To arms! The ritual will take place within the hour. We must go, and NOW.

"Kaleff has found a chamber with another prison, in the central building of the city. There are dwarves guarding the roof and street entrances. Inside, Azakan, Govan, a Davethran Sycophant and more dwarves plot with another host for Gothul, a warrior caste named Kesh."

Ismal drops back down to all fours and continues.

"Azakan has forged a new crown. Kaleff has learned that they plan to start the ritual inside of an hour. To arms. We need to get this ship in the air! We go to kill a god."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The real dragons read in surprise, and jump into the air, beating their wings to climb up into the sky. Attack, attack! yells Khael'an.
    Everyone get on board! shouts the admiral, fire up the burner! he yells at his crew, who scurry to cast off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven opened his mouth to tell Ismal how glad he was that she was back, but closed it quickly, his face drawn tight.

The time has come... There is no turning back. Either we shall succeed and destroy a god, or be destroyed ourselves.

"Let's do it."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal does what she can to provide as much detail, mentally, as she can, from the information Kaleff relayed. She sends her thoughts to her companions, to the dragons, the admiral, and to the high priests. And then braces herself for the cacophony of thoughts in response.

"If there are dwarves on the roof, then there must be access from the roof to the rest of the central building. If we bring the airship close enough to drop onto roof, we don't need to worry about dropping down to ground level, or navigating among the buildings. What do you say?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin looks quite surprised "What?! Within the hour? But what about my plan, my beautifull, cunning plan... "

"*sigh* Screw this..."

Orin makes haste to board the airship. Then he suddenly stops dead.

Thinking out loud for Ismal to broadcast (Uhm... would you please repeat who exatly was with Gothul and Azakan again?). His thoughs sound just slightly creeped out here.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

The noblewoman is relieved to be able to focus her thoughts on one person only for a moment. Although her mental voice is testy as ever.

"Yes, yes, it's all about you, Orin. Govan and that sycophant, Jeshyre Emorik, are there. Gods only know why, since Govan stands to lose control of his own actions if this ritual is seen through. Honestly, magus, I suspect that with an invading army of Zhan, tribesmen and dragons, I suspect you won't be the only focus of their attention."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

(Ah but.. haha, don't you see? Govan? I know him! I can.. ah.. persuade him not to interfere in the battle. All in his own best interest of course.

But you are right. It is not like Govan to agree to anything that would cost him something, like his freedom, if he doesn't get something quite substantial in return. Maybe he even knows... or believes to know a way to not be enslaved by the crown? Hah, if only I could get to talk to him for but a few moments...
    )

Orin resumes boarding the airship, pondering.

(I can be quite persuasive if if I really have to. It's a gift.)

Lycar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner is on his feet instantly as the announcement is made.
    "Govan...?" He repeats, frowning.
    "That's bad. He is powerful." But he blinks again when the name of the warrior caste is recited.
    "Kesh? I'd thought I was the last. Well, well..."
    He tightens his belt and checks the feel of each sword scattered about his person.
    "A distant cousin, maybe."
    He approaches Ismal.
    "Ready, Lady Penefar."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ismal and Kaleff revert to human form, and get on the zeppelin, which lifts off. The priests and Zahn wizards all start casting spells on each other. The high priest of Imshaeroth walks up to you. I shall cast spells on you to protect you from Gothul's death magic, he says, if you wish it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Settling back into her awkward human form, Ismal nods emphatically as she grips the airship's rail.

I believe that we would ALL be most grateful for that, sir.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

"Yes please, this would be greatly appreciated."

While Orin tries to sound calm and collected, his eyes show that he would as well beg for that kind of protection.

And as the journey goes on, those with a sense for people may realize that it is only the makeup Orin put on to fake a tan, which keeps him from looking like he had just seen a ghost, even though his body language hardly betrays any distress.

"So yes, well... how do we go about this then? Just drop this ship down on the roof of the building they are in and then charge, screaming? Because if we do that, we might not get to do anything but screaming, if you get my drift."

Lycar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The High Priest casts spells on Kaleff, Orin, Sumner, Ismal and Draven.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-11-25 at 12:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal begs for the high priest to hold off casting his spells until they were closer to their destination.

As the airship took off, she set to work acting as a mental switchboard again, for Khael'an, Ruchion, the Admiral, the priests, and of course her companions. She stayed close to the railing, interjecting tidbits about landmarks and noted guard positions in the city as she recalled them. As the seconds ticked by, a plan took shape from the conversation.

"We are agreed then?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner nods. He coughs after a moment.
    "I'd like to address our allies, if I may."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin just quirks an eyebrow as Sumner makes the announcement.

But he seems to preoccupied to make any comment, snarky or otherwise.

Lycar

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven shrugged.

"Address anyone you like."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner nods and turns smartly, removing his helmet and sliding the blue leather mask off of his face. Taking a deep breath, he begins talking.
    "Friends, Allies, Soldiers, Priests, and Zhan...We've got a long and bitter battle ahead of us. Most of you know me; I am Sumner Kesh, son of Daxthran Kesh, last of a long line of loyal servants to the Emperor of Davethra. We go to fight the Archmage Govan, the demon-god Gothul and his priests, and yes, even a few oathsworn of the old Empire. Those of you who know me might wonder why I'm fighting on this side at all; It looks like I'm fighting against the rebirth of the very thing I've spent almost two lifetimes trying to bring back! But no."
    He shakes his head, and gazes up at the sky.
    "If the Empire is to have a god, it must be one worthier than Gothul; a fallen god of blood and the heart. We must have peace, and we must have order...But some of us remember the smoke that rose over Gothul's temples, the screams and the stench in the air, and I won't have it! No more Demons."
    He pauses, and the sun gleams across his black and red tattoos.
    "...I've been speaking for myself here. The rest of you...you all come to it from different paths according to your own Ne'Sha, but you come to the same conclusion; no more demons. We will not allow the demon-god to rise again, because we will trap him away from where any can bring him back...or drain his power for themselves. This is our dream and our ideal, held in common, today."
    Shifting his gaze down to his helmet, he lifts it above his head.
    "Men will die today, good and bad. Those of you who have a god, be comforted; for a god that does not treasure those who die in its service is no god worth worshiping. Those of you who have no god, be proud; for you die only for your convictions. You will fight for a path you've had to find yourself, and one that every man walks alone, and should you die? Then you will have lived a truer life and a nobler life than ninety-nine men out of a hundred. I have my Ne'Sha, and I have always followed it."
    He clamps the helmet back on his head.
    "And I can live or die with that. Now, let's go slay a demon."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The zeppelin sails over the hill and towards the city, dragons flying at the side.
    The city is like no human city you have seen. It is less a collection of buildings, and more one giant building of many wings. Tunnels and passages criss-cross under bridges, all built into the buildings, all of which are built together. Most have flat roofs, and are low and blocky, but there are a few soaring towers. The architecture is beautiful, incredible works of engineering, but much of the city is in serious disrepair, walls crumbling, roofs gaping open.
    In the centre of the city is a particularly large building sticking up, with balconies sticking out, enabling access across bridges from the roofs of other buildings. You realise that, looking at the occasional deep tunnel with nothing above it, the valley is much deeper than it appears, and the buildings you see are probably only the tips of a much deeper complex.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

As they watched the dragons sow disorder among the dwarves, Ismal grabbed Draven for a quick, fervent kiss.

"Let's see what we can do about not dying this time. We've got too much to live for. See you at the bottom."

Gathering Orin, Sumner and the priest near her, Ismal prepared to take them down as soon as Draven and Kaleff took off.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin doesn't seem to fel too well. One time, when he feels not being watched, he holds out his hand and watches it tremble.

But the moment of truth is drawing near.

(I have to cast my spell just as we start out attack to make the most of it. And I can include more then just me and the others. The general certainly. Some of the priests maybe.. which ones? The girl could use all the help she can get. But.. if I do magically embolden her, will it make her do something heroically stupid and get her killed? Doomed either way...)

Lycar

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The dragons swoop down and breath acid and lightning at small figures around the central building as you get closer. You see there are 3 or 4 Dwarves down in the street, and 2 on top of buildings, and they're either running in terror or being killed by dragon breath.
    Ismal casts her spells of protection.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner puts his helmet and mask back on, and draws the Eater of Men in one hand.
    "Let's go."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

When Sumner speaks up, Orin pulls himself together with a start. Reaching deep into his own magic, he pulls forth his reserve of courage and hope, and forms it into a spell.

"Very well! So let us show this 'god' that mortals can and DO vanquish his sort! Destroy Gothul! Destroy the demon worshippers! Let none survive! But spare Azakan Zere!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Orin casts Good Hope on Ismal, Draven, Kaleff, Sumner and himself plus general Wasari and 3 of the priests. Excluding the girl and the wolf mask priest.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-11-28 at 09:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal nods as the final spells are enacted. Her face was usually composed but now - especially with the effects of the red, scaly skin and large yellow eyes - it had become a mask of determination. Once Sumner, Orin and the priest are ready, she speaks the word of power, and brings them down to street level, as close to the doorway they need to use as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dimension Door, of course.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

As the airship swoops downwards towards the rooftops, Draven puts his arms around Kaleff and steps over the side, activating his magical boots. Following Kaleff's directions, he flies down to the street, next to a ruined house. Then, in a flash of light, Ismal, Orin, Sumner and the Priestess appear next to him.
    The group run into the house, and clatter down the stairs towards the basement, which Kaleff tells them leads to the tunnels. The place smells of mould and damp, and musty air.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven returned Ismal's kiss warmly, and his face then turned to grim determination. His features turned iron, and he smiled as Khael'an and Gadarir wreaked havoc upon the dwarves. The fools, for supporting such a tyrant. They would wreak their own form of havoc soon, a lightning fast strike, straight to the heart. The irony was grim, and Draven probably missed it - there was much on his mind, but his chaotic nature channeled that to a singular purpose. A god must die. He grabbed Kaleff and leaped off the edge of the ship.

"Fly."
    Runa Redgrave

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin grits his teeth as he feels the euphoria from his spell washes over him.
    But the next moment, he begins to grin (albeit slightly maniacially) and draws his mace.

"Dwarves below us, dragons above, Zhan behind us and a demon god ahead, what could possibly go wrong? Let's go make our own history today!"

Lycar

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

As they enter the building, Ismal's senses adjust to the musty light. Her thoughts reach out to her companions.

"Draven, Sumner, you're good to sweep out in front? From Kaleff's description, we're close. Just down this tunnel."

Ismal pauses only long enough to complete a spell that quickens all of their muscles and thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Haste on all six of us.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven raised his shield and lowered his visor with the butt of his mace, nodding. With magical rapidity he hustled down the tunnel.
    Runa Redgrave