New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: The final battle

Draven waded through the carnage with a heavy heart. The human cost of this made him feel less and less like a hero, and more and more like a coward. If he had taken the tougher way in, perhaps so many would not have needed to die. Had he been there, perhaps he could have absorbed some of the wrath of the evil clerics of Gothul.

But the shaman had to set these feelings aside, for there were still things to be done. He began climbing the rope and shouted to the Dragons overhead:

"Gadarir! Khael'an! Victory! ...But the godstone obelisk is cracking, and may break! Perhaps it would be best to keep the Clans at a distance for now, we don't want to be anywhere nearby if it does!"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin hears the news about the death of the priests with a heavy heart.

(.. dead? The little one? ... It's always the children who pay for the sins of the parents, isn't it... *sigh* Would it have made a differenc eif I had included her in my spell?...)

Orin follows behind the others, mutely.

When they cross the battlefield on the roof, he tries not to look.

(.. at least they made sure we could stop the ritual in time... and somewhere there lies a girl ... that's just not right... )

Then he realizes that he needs to climb up a rope.

"Aw man. I'm a noble. I shouldn't have to climb ropes... oh well, first time for everything..."

Orin stows his mace and whip in the haversack, then goes and tries to climb the rope.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-2)[4] +2 if Good Hope is still active.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

You start to climb the ropes, Orin falling off and having to then be helped up by a couple of Zahn soldiers.
    Eventually, you all get on board the ship, and fly up and off.
    As you start to sail up and away, you see bright red light coming from the windows of several buildings in the centre of the city.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal decides that she'd rather be on deck than outside if a massive explosion were about to occur. At the very least, she'd die staring at the rebirth of a god, instead of trapped in a metal can. If the Zhan get huffy, she'll climb out onto the side of the hull.

Her fingers entwine with Draven's (if he's also up for staying on deck with her).

"You were magnificent back there. Diving straight at Gothul. And Govan! I can't remember if he was at any of the parties we attended back in Ralm, but suffice to say that there are dozens of powerful nobles who live in mortal terror of that man. And you took him apart with your bare hands. My frog prince."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

As they depart the cavern, Kaleff picks up a small stone and somewhat furtively casts a spell of divination upon it, tossing in the general direction of the monolith as he leaves.

Finding his bunk, Kaleff settles in, and watches the proceedings through his connection.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven stood boldly on deck by Ismal's side, watching events unfold, and using his Draconic Aura of Senses to help sharpen their vision. He untwined his hand from hers and put his arm around her waist instead, pulling her close. He smiled, but there was pain behind it.

I could never have done it without you... you saved me... and using the elephant like that! brilliant. the world is better off without Govan, and without Gothul. ...but Sumner... we shall have to find a way to bring him back. If only I had been strong enough to push Gothul through. ...and all those people, the soldiers, the priests... We stopped the ritual, but at what cost?
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-12-05 at 04:24 PM.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal smiles, casting her eyes down.

"Sumner's already walked out of hell once - I suspect we've got a good chance of seeing him again.

"I don't know if we'll ever know the full cost. Especially if that obelisk explodes. The sides of that stone had inscriptions of the beast that it contained. I...don't look forward to meeting it in person. And these are gods - the full impact could take millenia to play out."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's sad smile shifted into one of his classic confident grins.

"Then again... We've already killed one god... Who knows? We could make a career out of this."
    Runa Redgrave

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal's eyes go very wide - and with the dragon eyes, that's pretty wide. Her hands move up as if to choke the life out of Draven...before turning into a closer embrace.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin eventually manages to get onto the zeppelin and goes to sit straight down on the deck. The recent events have left him shaken and stirred one could say.

He plops down brooding, while the others seem to be intent on watching .. what.. another imprisoned god break free to take revenge on the world around him? Why bother...

Sure, Gothul has been pushed into Imshaeroth's realm. But will this be the end of the demon god? What if Gothul defeats Imshaeroth? Don't say it can't happen.

And then there is Govan. Or rather, he isn't any more. Of course, the archmage has a heir. But is going to be able to step into the big footprints of his father sire. And even if, aren't the other archmages going to try and seize the opportunity to grab more power?

And what about himself? Magus Stillwater? Is this really going to happen?

(Do I even want to become Magus? The others, they seem to be so certain about what they want. What do I want? Do I even really know? I died! I died today and the only reason I'm not still dead is because the priestess of an insane goddes pulled me back from beyond.)

(And Azakan. Ach Azakan. How much I hoped for you. Sure, I just wanted to bask in your glory, as your syncopanth. But still. But you lost faith, you would not, could not believe in an empire without Gothul.

And Sumner... I doubted you. And yet, you were true to your promise. I owe you an apology. And I hate being indepted to someone.
    )

Orin leans back against the ship's railing and hums an old melody to himself. He doesn't even know where he knows it from. But is is somehow soothing and comforting.

(I wish that I could just talk to someone. Anyone. But what will they do, now that Gothul is .. done for. Hopefully. Govan is no longer around to pay the reward on my head, is he...)

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-12-06 at 07:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

The four of you, two Davethran nobles, a barbaric shaman, and a red-eyed wizard, stand watching as the airship flies away. Four people, so different, but standing together.
    Behind them, the few remaining priests go amongst the wounded, to heal them. Injured soldiers sit, slumped, while Wasari scurries around, checking who is alive and who isn't.
    The sailors are still here, but more than half of the soldiers are dead. All three wizards are still alive, looking unhurt, but of the priests, you see only the three High Priests, none of their acolytes. And there is no sign of Ruchion.
    Kaleff seems to drift off, almost as if he was looking at something no-one else can see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The room is red-tinged now, from the light, which is much stronger. The old priest turns to his younger comrade, and says something in the Mokai tongue. The other nods, and then they both remove their masks. Grek is old and grizzled, and his face is badly scarred. The younger man looks about 16, and terrified. They start to chant in their own tongue, but then they stop, as footsteps echo down the corridor. Out steps Ruchion, smiling. It is done. Gothul is no more. Imshaeroth has slain him.
    Why do you serve such a monster, snarls Grek.
    He and the other Ilsharei are the true masters of the world, says Ruchion.
    Grek sneers. I am High Priest. I have studied the secret texts. I know the truth about the Ilsharei.
    Ruchion's expression hardens, his smile gone. I am not here to discuss the mysteries only for the initiated. He suddenly moves like lightning, his fists battering into the old man with incredible strength, crushing his nose, his knees, his neck, and leaving him a bloody mess on the ground.
    The younger man staggers back, reaching for his sword. Ruchion looks at him, smiling again. Did you know that Isana is not the goddess of dreams, or inspiration, or prophecy? She is the goddess of truth. Truth is for us, the chosen. No one else. You can't handle it. The truth is, the Ilsharei don't care about us at all. He moves again, a flurry of kicks and punches, battering the boy to the ground. They do not listen to our prayers. They barely realise we exist unless there's an emergency, when they'll use us and then throw us out. The most powerful Gods in the world don't give a flying f*ck about us. He then reaches around the boy's neck, and snaps it, before moving to the other priest and doing the same. Looks like you couldn't handle the truth. I know I can't.
    Ruchion then walks back towards the glowing obelisk.
    Ah, he sighs, what a barbaric system. Imprisoning your enemies. Why do that when you can kill them? He raises his arms and starts to chant. But suddenly, the top of the obelisk flies apart in a spray of stone, Ruchion staggering back, covering his face.
    Out of the obelisk climbs a humanoid figure, glowing red, throwing itself across the pit, and landing naked and weak on the floor. The red glow starts to diminish slightly, and Kaleff can just about make out that it is a female humanoid. Ruchion snarls, and strides towards it. He starts to mutter under his breath. Got to stop it, got to stop it, going to die again, again, again and again...
    He jumps at the glowing figure, a flurry of rapid, incredibly powerful punches and kicks. The woman screams as he rains blows on her. She twists back, and then out of her mouth comes music, the most beautiful music Kaleff has ever heard. He can't help but sink to the floor, weeping at its soul-reaching beauty. Ruchion just stops, unmoving, a look of despair on his face. And then the woman, and the glow has diminished to the extent that Kaleff can definitely tell it is a woman now, a beautiful and shapely woman with skin the sheen of gold, and then she stops singing and pulls off Ruchion's head. There is a massive flash of red light.

Before you, Kaleff suddenly collapses, weeping, for about twenty seconds, before stopping, and looking up, bleary-eyed.

12. - Top - End - #102

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

"He's dead." the man says, mutely. "Gothul as well as Ruchion. Another life for... for what?" Snapping out of it, the Zhan seems to gather a semblance of himself again. "It has happened again, the god has escaped."

Standing, Kaleff leans heavily on the rail. "The music... don't... don't let her song reach you, it will... destroy you."

Warning given, the Zhan's thoughts return to the cavern. Ruchion... what has become of you?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

As the ship sails on and up, wounded Zahn soldiers limping down the hatches to their bunks, red light starts to spill out of the doors and windows of the central building.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Up on deck, Ismal's embrace on Draven tightens.

"Oh, crap. The beast is out. Wonder if it's going to take out the whole city."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

(Edited my last post to make it fit better with events.)

Orin watches Kaleff with a frown.

"So we got our wish. No more Gothul. Something we all owe Imshaeroth a lot of gratitude for."

Orin watches the wounded Zhan soldiers move. He sees the pain on the faces of the more seriously injured ones. He remembers the priestess' face as he came back from being burned alive.

He gets up.

"Well, it seems I have some, heh, 'arcane virility' left. I think I should, just in celebration of the day you know, spread some love around. I'll be down in the bowels of this airship if you need me."

Orin goes and helps some of the more seriously injured soldiers to reach their bunks and lie down. Then he watches the efforts of the clerics and medics a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orin will ask if he could help out with some healing spells. If they allow him, he will spend all his 1st and 2nd level spell slots to cast Cure spells on the injured. And then he'll go look for a lute or other string instrument and play a bit for the soldiers. If they will have him.

Tries to come up with an impromptu song to laud the bravery and sacrifice of the Zhan this day. Roll for Perform or just take 10 on singing (total 20)?

Lycar

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

As the ship reaches the edge of the city, there is a massive explosion, the roofs of the central building and those around it flying off in all directions, spilling red light out. You think you can just make out a tiny flash of gold flicking up out of the central building and off across the distant mountains.

Orin goes and starts helping with the healing. He cannot understand what the Zahn soldiers say to him, but it is obvious they are grateful.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

The airship flies over the hills, the dragons flapping after it.
    Wasari walks up to the group. We have done what we came for. Now we will return to our islands. What will you do now? You have defeated a God, what next? Do you have homes to return to?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal nods an acknowledgement to Wasari's question, then sends her thoughts to her three companions.

"Sumner. I say the Zhan are our best chance at determining his fate, and maybe bring him back. We owe him that much, at least. After that, we can decide whether we stay together or split up."

Unless there are any objections, she shifts back to spoken words, and addresses Wasari.

Admiral, we would like to accompany you back to the islands. With two new gods emerging, there may be some mutual desire for consultations with the priests, to better understand what new forces are entering the land. And...Sumner Kesh entered the portal to the realm of Imshaeroth along with Gothul. Who better to try to determine his fate than the priests of Imshaeroth?

So, if it's all right with you, we'd like to come with you back to Zhan.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven nodded.

"Though, I would like to bring an old friend along - the councilmember Judah of my Clan. After we see to Sumner, there is some... business we have in Sarin."
    Runa Redgrave

20. - Top - End - #110

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

The wizard shakes his head slowly at the general's question, dour expression on his angular face as he considers Ruchion's most recent fate. He does seem to perk up, however, at Draven's allusion to 'business.' No home, no family, no purpose past survival; yes, some 'business' sounds like just the thing to help me unwind.. Offering the shaman a half grin, he turns back towards the waste.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

The airship continues onwards, across the desert, stopping just to pick up the clansman you saw Draven talking to yesterday. He doesn't speak much Davethran, just sits brooding occasionally chatting with Draven. He seems a bit cold towards Ismal.

Eventually, you reach the floating islands, hanging in the sky in defiance of all normality. The airship docks back inside the caves, and you disembark. The High Priest of Imshaeroth walks up to the group. You wanted to find the man lost in the Underworld, yes? Come to the temple, and we shall pray to Imshaeroth to tell us what has happened to him.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal sends her thoughts to Draven.

"You know, I don't know how these Zhan got such a reputation as lying, thieving connivers. These folks seem to have been pretty open and supportive over the past week. Mind you, we were helping them kill a rival god. Still. Gift horses and mouths."

Ismal is content to let Kaleff be their spokesperson for the time being. She simply nods, and prepares to follow the priest.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

Orin is uncharacteristically quiet during the trip back.

He can't quite refrain from offering his own thoughts to Ismal on the subject though.

(Ah but Lady Ismal, it is not so hard to understand. We all need to find our place in the world. If by strength of arm, or arms, if by might of magic, or if by stealth and subterfuge. And when the empire pretty much had the monopoly on arms and magic...)

When the priest offers his help in learning Sumner's fate, Orin just bows graciously, but remains silent.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-12-08 at 02:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven shrugged mentally.

I find most are undeserving of their reputation, good and bad.

Hopeful at the prospect of learning Sumner's fate (and possibly altering it), Draven is ready to follow the priest, but keeps quiet, following Kaleff's lead.
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #115

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Disinclined to take the lead in anything, at the moment, Kaleff reluctantly steps forward and nods to the priest to lead on. Wonder if Ruchion will have made it back, yet...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Remarking in response to Orin and Draven's mental comments, Ismal smiles.

"I suppose it's hard to fight demon cults and heart-eating gods without developing a touch of cynicism, gentlemen. And Orin, I think you'd have a tough go with the Zhan and the Qu'san, convincing them that Davethra had cornered the market on magic. Exhibit A, huge freaking floating island that we're standing on.'
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-12-08 at 02:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

(That's inherited dwarven magic, rememer?)

Lycar

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal's smile widens.

"Oh, but the blood of fiends, dragons and illithid rolling all through Davethra's nobility, that counts as home-grown? Given the choice, frankly, I'd be tempted to take the dwarves."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin

(...as much as a farmer's prized milk cow or breeding sow mayhaps? Or, if you prefer, a beautiful rose, product of carefull and loving crossbreeding.

Definitly home-grown, don't you think?
    )

Lycar

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal is clearly starting to enjoy this.

"You're comparing interbreeding with a demon with the raising of a milk cow? Hubris, my dear Magus, hubris. If anything, it's the other creatures who have bred us to be more like them. Since we are, by your analogy, the product rather than the producer, I'd say we are even less able to take credit."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-12-08 at 05:03 PM.