New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt Arena practice - Moby Vs Stella

Yes. Check your pm box, please.

Oh, and a question. What about Supernatural abilities that mimic a spell? In or out? (A bunch of people revising the rules can be awfully confusing, heh.)
    Avatar lawfully nicked from this xkcd strip.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    Will dance around my room
    And frolic in my bed

2. - Top - End - #152
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    Yes. Check your pm box, please.

Oh, and a question. What about Supernatural abilities that mimic a spell? In or out? (A bunch of people revising the rules can be awfully confusing, heh.)

Out. I get no pixie invisibility, nor telekinesis. Of course, the rematch I want is with a character that wouldn't have telekinesis anyway.

The living answer to the undead. :)

This guy.

Same concept, extended to a creature with a Con Score.

All templates (both of em) can be procured from Crystal Keep.

EDIT: Don't worry, I have no intent to positive energy you to death.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-12-06 at 06:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

LOL

Incidentally, I had asked Lyndworm about Vivacious creatures myself, and he said OK, provided they don't heal themselves.

But now that Lyndworm has withdrawn (and since self-healing is something we both do, regardless), I personally have no problem with it.

Question.
    You have 1 level of Sorcerer, right? Don't you need 4 to get Ascetic Mage? Or do you have some other way to get 2nd level spells, and I'm too blind to see it, at the moment?

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

Precocious Apprentice (Feat).

Requirements for sorceror are Charisma 15. Gives you 1 level 2 spell slot, 1 spell only, and you need to make a Caster level check to cast it. But you have the ability to cast a level 2 spell.

The feat's in Complete Arcane.

EDIT: Also, Vivacious healing? 1d4+Charisma, once every 1d4 or so rounds? LOL, their Fast healing outdoes that. Lyndworm had funny ideas about balance.

Want to make a truce agreement? I won't try to lay hands on you if you don't try to deadly touch me? I mean, they're both pretty much a 1 hit KO... lol.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-12-06 at 06:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

Yeap, I was blind after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Want to make a truce agreement? I won't try to lay hands on you if you don't try to deadly touch me? I mean, they're both pretty much a 1 hit KO... lol.
    No problem.
    However, your CON score didn't get you that many hit points after all, and I'm pathetic of course, and we're both paladins who smite with divine might and a bunch of bonuses to damage. 1 hit KO is a very likely outcome either way.

Now, I'll look at your character sheet more carefully in a while. And I'll do that because I think I'm in a "only nat 20 hits" territory. So I'd like to see if there's anything I can do about it. Quick question, because I'm lazy: are you drainable?

(You have the right to remain silent. )

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

Yes. I'm drainable.

Question: Did you know that without a ghost touch shield, an incorporeal creature's shield bonus does not apply to corporeal foes?

Edit: As for why I'm using a gauntlet?

Unarmed strikes are really unique attacks. They're one of the only attacks that you can apply both weapon finesse AND power attack to.

EDIT2:
    Now, ghosts while manifested get a deflection to AC.

Incorporeal creatures get a deflection to AC.

Do these bonuses apply against other incorporeal foes? The interpretation could go either way. Either the deflection is part of incorporeal, and no, because incorporeal creatures don't benefit from incorporeal against each other...
    or the deflection is a seperate benefit, and they do benefit from it. Or rather, the incorporeal clause refers to miss chance only, not other bonuses.

Oh, I think I may have shorted myself about 40k gold. I may have carried the wrong number lol. I will look later, but if so, an amulet of health +6 may be in order. I could do a lot with 45 HP.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-12-06 at 06:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Yes. I'm drainable.

Question: Did you know that without a ghost touch shield, an incorporeal creature's shield bonus does not apply to corporeal foes?
    Umm, no. I'll look it up. I find it possible, and if this is the case, this should be also the case for armor. Logically. That nerfs my build pretty much and I'll have to revise it.

Do you have a quick link (or page reference) for the above?

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Umm, no. I'll look it up. I find it possible, and if this is the case, this should be also the case for armor. Logically. That nerfs my build pretty much and I'll have to revise it.

Do you have a quick link (or page reference) for the above?
    Search the SRD (www.d20srd.com).

Go into magic items.
    Armor Special Abilities.
    Look up Ghost Touch.

It's why my shield is ghost touch.

EDIT: And yes, it applies to armor too. For armor, oddly enough, it's a +3 enhancement.

EDIT2:

PHB, p. 309. Glossary for incorporeal. They receive no armor or natural armor bonus. Technically, by oversight, this does not state that they don't get shield bonuses.

DMG, p.219. Mentions that you get the enhancement bonus. So All I can see is that you'd get the shield bonus, but not the enhancement bonus, without ghost touch.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-12-06 at 06:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm, well, yesss... but...

This is referring to corporeal armor/shields. If our equipment is incorporeal to begin with, I don't see the problem. At first glance, at least.

I had a similar question about Ghost Touch weapons. Turned out (according to Silvanos, and I found it pretty reasonable) that a ghost with a Ghost Touch weapon, regardless whether it is corporeal or not, hits unerringly corporeal foes BUT doesn't ignore material armor, natural armor and shields. Because the Ghost Touch weapon counts as either corporeal OR incorporeal at any given time. Can't do both. With an incorporeal weapon that doesn't have the Ghost Touch property, you suffer a 50% miss chance, but ignore material armor etc.

Hence, Vs corporeal foes, I should probably remove the crystal and use Seeking Smite.

The Ghost Touch armor and shield, on the other hand, has no such clause (counting as either corporeal or incorporeal, I mean). Its bonus counts Vs both corporeal and incorporeal attacks, which is a world of difference.
    As for this:
    It can be picked up, moved, and worn by incorporeal creatures at any time. Incorporeal creatures gain the armor or shield’s enhancement bonus against both corporeal and incorporeal attacks, and they can still pass freely through solid objects.
    ...it obviously refers to corporeal armor and shield. Otherwise, the ghost could pick it up and wear it anyway.

I'm not a 100% certain. Once again, these are ill-defined rules. But until I find somewhere a sentence that says "the ghost's shield (or the incorporeal creature's incorporeal shield) doesn't count Vs corporeal opponents", I'm not convinced about this, either.
    *confused*

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

PHB 309. That outlines Armor bonus, but not shield. Probably an oversight, but by the rules, you get Shield bonuses.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Why didn't I ever notice this?
    Answer: because, of all places, it's only in the bloody glossary.

I am very annoyed with WotC at the moment. Very, very annoyed.

You are absolutely right. Stella needs a major overhaul. I'll get to it later today (I gotta go now).

*sigh*

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

True enough. Doesn't matter vs. other incorporeal foes, though.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Damn, I should have gone already, I'm late.

I though about going Ascetic myself. But if you get your Wisdom-turned-to-Charisma AC bonus from either Monk or Swordsage, you lose it if you carry a shield at the same time. Conflict.

Is there a way around that? How are Animated Shields treated for cases like this?

*still annoyed with WotC*

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

Damn, I should have gone already, I'm late.

I though about going Ascetic myself. But if you get your Wisdom-turned-to-Charisma AC bonus from either Monk or Swordsage, you lose it if you carry a shield at the same time. Conflict.

Is there a way around that? How are Animated Shields treated for cases like this?

*still annoyed with WotC*
    Animated shields are considered wielded by you, so much so that they must be disarmed. (they're most certainly NOT well-secured, though, lol, as they're floating in mid air).

No, mine is so that there is almost no mechanical benefit to sundering my shield. At least, not enough to justify using an action to do it. It's a layered defense, gives my AC a bit of depth that's hard to stop. You've got to do a LOT to prevent my AC, though with the shield, I gain about 8 extra points.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-12-06 at 07:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

No, mine is so that there is almost no mechanical benefit to sundering my shield. At least, not enough to justify using an action to do it. It's a layered defense, gives my AC a bit of depth that's hard to stop. You've got to do a LOT to prevent my AC, though with the shield, I gain about 8 extra points.
    But if you get a shield bonus from your shield (with or without Divine Shield), you don't get AC bonus from monk or swordsage. You either ditch the shield and keep you Wis-turned-Cha AC bonus or keep the shield and forgo the AC bonus. You can't have both.

Monk loses the AC bonus when carrying a shield, and so does Swordsage. Unless, of course, the "other" +14 bonus on your character sheet is from something else. Is it?

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

But if you get a shield bonus from your shield (with or without Divine Shield), you don't get AC bonus from monk or swordsage. You either ditch the shield and keep you Wis-turned-Cha AC bonus or keep the shield and forgo the AC bonus. You can't have both.

Monk loses the AC bonus when carrying a shield, and so does Swordsage. Unless, of course, the "other" +14 bonus on your character sheet is from something else. Is it?
    Correct. When the shield is there, I don't get +14 from Monk.
    When the shield is gone, I do. End result, I always get Cha to AC. With the shield, I just get Cha and shield bonus. The +14 in other applies to divine shield when the shield bonus is there, for convenience of my opponent. It can pretty much be assumed that'll be on 100% of the time.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Update

I've made some very minor changes to Stella. Added Ghost Touch to armor+shield, fooled around with the equipment just so I can afford it, and took Frightful Moan.

Because the (pathetically weak) Corrupting Touch was chosen simply to be as thematically appropriate as possible. Now that the rules about armor came into view and the arena rules came into place, I don't feel like hitting myself with a nerf bat any more. Not that I expect Frightful Moan to save me. It's psychological.

I'm not satisfied at all with the result. And yes, you guessed it, I am still pissed off at WotC.

In any case, I'll play a game with your Radiant Vivacious killer. I expect that it will painfully teach me to never neglect my touch AC again.

Question.
    It's not stated explicitly, but I assume your aura is harmful to undead. Right?

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

Update

I've made some very minor changes to Stella. Added Ghost Touch to armor+shield, fooled around with the equipment just so I can afford it, and took Frightful Moan.

Because the (pathetically weak) Corrupting Touch was chosen simply to be as thematically appropriate as possible. Now that the rules about armor came into view and the arena rules came into place, I don't feel like hitting myself with a nerf bat any more. Not that I expect Frightful Moan to save me. It's psychological.

I'm not satisfied at all with the result. And yes, you guessed it, I am still pissed off at WotC.

In any case, I'll play a game with your Radiant Vivacious killer. I expect that it will painfully teach me to never neglect my touch AC again.

Question.
    It's not stated explicitly, but I assume your aura is harmful to undead. Right?
    Aura: No. Deathbeam of healing: Yes.

The aura only heals living creatures. Makes no reference of affecting undead.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

True. I'm not complaining.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

K, found I was sitting on over 40k of unspent wealth, so I upgraded a piece of gear, and am good to go.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

Initiative: (1d20+13)[24]

Vert axis: (1d40)[19]
    Horz axis: (1d40)[11]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Initiative: (1d20+26)[45]

Vert axis: (1d40)[20]
    Horz axis: (1d40)[21]

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

I'm in S11, you're in T21.

Pre actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Divine shield
    Swift: Stance of clarity, target - opponent
    Free: Dodge, target - opponent
    Free: Allocate defender bonus entirely to AC

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

I'm in T-21, you are in S-11.

Surprise round

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: activate marshal's aura
    standard: ready action for divine shield
    crusader, crusader, the legend is born: (1d5)[4], (1d5)[3]

Round 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    swift action: Law devotion to AC
    standard action: divine shield
    move action: see below
    crusader, the warrior king: (1d5)[4]

divine shield left: 7
    law devotion left: 10
    rebuke left: 17

Not sure if I can see you. I fly up, I see you and say "hi!", and then I promptly move and hide to S-18, altitude 10. Presumably, after being hit by a readied death beam.

Hide (1d20+38)[50]
    Move Silently (1d20+26)[34] (-5 penalty included)

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

25. - Top - End - #175
    Banned

No death beam. I move up 40 feet.

Standard: Assume total Defense.
    Swift: Activate Travel Devotion.

Free: Speak: "Come to your doom, wretched beast."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

That was a hasty and dumb move, come to think of it, but now that I did it, I'll suck it up...

EDIT- yes, umm, I expected you to do something else.
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-12-06 at 06:02 PM.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Round 2

- Since you asked so nicely...

Stella charges.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action: Law Devotion to attack, divine might
    Swift action: Stance of Clarity
    Full round action: charging smite, awesome smite ignores DR, Battle Leader's Charge

Attack: moving 10 ft and smiting in stance +48 +15 smite = +63
    Damage: moving 10 ft 1d8+16 + 35 charging smite +10 Battle Leader's Charge + 13 gauntlets = 1d8+61 slashing + 13 fire

crusader, onwards right onwards into the night: (1d2)[1]
    divine shield left: 6
    law devotion left: 9
    rebuke left: 16

desperate attack: (1d20+63)[67]
    damage: (1d8+61)[62] slashing, ignore DR etc, + 13 fire

EDIT- Wrong. Wrong. Remove 15 from the attack roll. Sorry. (I counted Smite twice by mistake)

EDIT2 - I did say it was a desperate attack, didn't I?

EDIT3- Second thought again, remove 8 from the attack (counted smite twice, but didn't count Law devotion). Won't hit any way, just saying.
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-12-06 at 06:20 PM.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

28. - Top - End - #178
    Banned

AC=
    10 (base)
    +8 (shield)
    +14 (bonus to shield - divine shield)
    + 8 (armor, bracers of armor)
    + 1 (size)
    + 12 (dex)
    +4 (defending weapon)
    +2 (Stance of clarity)
    +1 (Dodge)
    +6 (total defense)
    =66
    Possible +14 (deflection)
    =80

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Didn't hit anyway. Is Deflection in or out, then? I thought no. (?)

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Depends on interpretation. I'd say probably out, but I included it as an optional, cause I was gonna leave it up to you.