New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn/Town OoC Chat Thread VI

Yeah....gets really really hard because then you have to decipher what they're talking about and what they mean...@.@

2. - Top - End - #632
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yup.
    Plus, you were capitalizing, and spelling correctly.
    Just not making much sense.
    And that is IC.
    As I said.

And, yeah. Having to decipher everything everyone says is . . . not fun.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

hmm your cat likes wandering about randomly lol
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

4. - Top - End - #634

Yup.
    Actually, the cat is my character which is banned from the inn, in cat disguise. >.>
    He left before Doran could figure it out.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pshaw! The ways of the cat are to wander about dispondantly!

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

hah! i like that, so you can just change shape then?
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

I have a present for you Mee!
    And everyon, but mainly Mee.

8. - Top - End - #638

Well, Luminar can change shape 3 times a day, to pretty much whatever he wants. Due to him being a dragon.

Oh, Quin? What is it?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

You're gonna have to wait, Mee.

10. - Top - End - #640

That's my surprise? I get to wait?

. . . . . BEST SURPRISE EVER!!!!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #641
    Orc in the Playground

Okay.
    Back on track.
    Let's begin!
    Or...
    Ermm...
    Continue...?
    Yeah, that one, continue.
    I'ma finish my update.
    No matter how long!
    I know you've all been asking for it but mainly Mee, so, here it is!
    Firstly, I'ma talk about random stuffm then some ideas, then some improvements, then some compliments, then more random stuff.

First topic; Okay, I'ma teach you all about fighting. Not that you all don't get it. But I see a lot of common mistakes. One, when someone tries to hit you, instead of posting just another action in your next post, say if it hits or not. Second, don't reference D&D spells, just describe what the spell does. Third and final, if yu can't avoid something because of position, bond, whatever, let it hit you!

Second topic! Common courtesies, remember, you're not the only one playing the Town. Everyone else isn't a set of NPCs to use in you story, they're people, that are trying to have fun. Which means you should be in other's plots, your character is not the main character of Town, and try not to railroad. Which brings me to my next topic.

Railroading. Railroading is when you make a plot, and have it preplanned. Characters should be able to change the outcome of your plot with their actions. So, try not to think of an ending, try to just make an introduction to what's happening, and let it roll. This'll make it funner for the character, as it seems they're a bigger part of the story, not just reading a book!

OOCk. OOut of Character knowledge, or meta gaming. It's when your character knows something that you know out of character, that they have no reason to know. It ruins stories and makes the game not fun for other players. Please try and refrain from doing so to let everyone have a good time. And who knows, maybe it'll help you get more in character!

The curtain. Okay, I'm an offender here, a bad one, but, I am trying to cut back. It's starting to offend a lot of people, my self included, sorta. Please, try and cut down, or keep it to private threads, pms, or Ims. It's getting really tedious.

Fast, meaningless posts. This is mainly in fights, but I see it a lot of posts like this:
    "Hi Frank!"
    And then a short conversation, mainly made of two to four word sentences begins. This is almost spam, and should be kept to Ims, or Pms. It'll slow threads down and make it a lot easier for people who don't have a lot of time to keep up. If you want a good example- look at the Playground prom thread.

OOC posts. Nifty eh? We gotsa an OOC thread! But still, people seem to like to be OOC in IC threads.This isn't that bad, but still try to keep it to this thread. Also, try not to make all OOC posts, try to continue your IC interactions. It makes threads less confusing and easier to follw/jump into!
    So, try not to do this.
    Frank tries to hit Xervianmereoro.
    No no! It's spelled Xervianmero!
    And, if you do make an OOC post in an IC thread, clearly label it.
    Like this.
    Way one: ((This is an OoC post!))
    Way two: This is an oOC post![/OoC]
    This will help clarify what's what in your posts.

Town time period and Town size. DO NOT state what time period the Town is in, or how big it is. The Town year is 2008, in the Townverse. The Town seems to be a nexus. People from all times seem to gather here. So, some people can be cyborg men, some cavemen, it doesn't matter, just have fun. Same with the size. The Town could be three building and a fence, or it could be a metropolis, it all depends on your imagination. You don't question other people's, they won't question your's. Let everyone have fun!

Realism. The Town shouldn't be too realistic, but it shouldn't be too cheasy either. Try and keep it semi realistic. When in plot, keep the plot's tone as pre-stated. For example, if you're doing a very serious vampire hunting plot, don't play a farting clown.

Plots. If you don't want people to be in them, clearly state in the first post, and say you don't want others to post there. It'll help eveyone, and stop confusion. Good for everyone.

Ims. Instant messages. These are best for short, quick conversations, fights, or romances, they won't clutter threads, and will save confusion. There are a lot out there, the best are probably Yahoo and Live, these work great and are easy to manage. Just google tthem, they'll be at the top of the list. If you can't download things, try Gabbly, it's browser based and easy to use.

Death. I know a lot of you don't want your characters to die, but, sometimes they have ot, for plot reasons, or because they got caught in a bad situation. But, making them not die is god-mody and bad. And when they die, please, make death mean something, keep them dead for a little bit, don't just auto rez them an hour later.

How I suggest we fix this.
    Fighting: Follow the guidelines provided in the fighting seciotn.
    Railroading: Don't have the ending of your plot preplanned.
    OOCK: Don't let your character know what you know and they don't.
    The curtain: Keep it to private threads or cut down. I actually suggest we make a DFI second floor thread so people don't have to read things like that if they don't want to.
    Short conversation: Keep short sentences to PM and IMs and try to give your post some meaning!
    OOC posts: Clearly label the OOC part and make sure you make an IC action!
    Realism: Conform to the setting.
    Plots: Label the first post!
    Death: Let your character die if it's gonna happen!

Report card: I'ma evaluate y'all!
    Godmodding: B
    I don't see too much of it... Some occasinaly, though.
    Niceness: C-
    A lot of people are being rude.
    Grammar: C+
    Meh...
    Fairness: C-
    Not very fair... Overpowerdness, godmodding, ignoring people...
    Overall...
    C+
    Good, but room for improvement!

Now, for all you nex people.
    A glossary!
    IC: In character; Things that happen to yor character.
    OOC: Out of Character; things that happen to you.
    PM: Private Message, you can send them over the board.
    Townie: A Town resident.
    The Curtain: What happens during intercourse to act as a censor.
    OOCK: WHen your character knows what the play does.

And, the Townie of the month award goes to...
    Mee!
    For excellent service in the name of the Town, to improve it!
    Trophy.

Congratulations Mee!

This is my December mayor adress.
    Thank you for reading.
    I'll be back in a month for more good times!
    ~Vince!
    Last edited by Quinsar; 2008-11-30 at 10:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #642

Yaaaay!!!!
    Thank you.

And I agree completely with all of it.
    The report card is good too.
    And. . . . an award! Yayz!
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Orc in the Playground

Edited a bigger one into original post...

14. - Top - End - #644

I have a request for you quin please don't make important post lime green on the white background it is unbearable.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    Okay.
    Back on track.
    Let's begin!
    Or...
    Ermm...
    Continue...?
    Yeah, that one, continue.
    I'ma finish my update.
    No matter how long!
    I know you've all been asking for it but mainly Mee, so, here it is!
    Firstly, I'ma talk about random stuffm then some ideas, then some improvements, then some compliments, then more random stuff.

First topic; Okay, I'ma teach you all about fighting. Not that you all don't get it. But I see a lot of common mistakes. One, when someone tries to hit you, instead of posting just another action in your next post, say if it hits or not. Second, don't reference D&D spells, just describe what the spell does. Third and final, if yu can't avoid something because of position, bond, whatever, let it hit you!

Second topic! Common courtesies, remember, you're not the only one playing the Town. Everyone else isn't a set of NPCs to use in you story, they're people, that are trying to have fun. Which means you should be in other's plots, your character is not the main character of Town, and try not to railroad. Which brings me to my next topic.

Railroading. Railroading is when you make a plot, and have it preplanned. Characters should be able to change the outcome of your plot with their actions. So, try not to think of an ending, try to just make an introduction to what's happening, and let it roll. This'll make it funner for the character, as it seems they're a bigger part of the story, not just reading a book!

OOCk. OOut of Character knowledge, or meta gaming. It's when your character knows something that you know out of character, that they have no reason to know. It ruins stories and makes the game not fun for other players. Please try and refrain from doing so to let everyone have a good time. And who knows, maybe it'll help you get more in character!

The curtain. Okay, I'm an offender here, a bad one, but, I am trying to cut back. It's starting to offend a lot of people, my self included, sorta. Please, try and cut down, or keep it to private threads, pms, or Ims. It's getting really tedious.

Fast, meaningless posts. This is mainly in fights, but I see it a lot of posts like this:

And then a short conversation, mainly made of two to four word sentences begins. This is almost spam, and should be kept to Ims, or Pms. It'll slow threads down and make it a lot easier for people who don't have a lot of time to keep up. If you want a good example- look at the Playground prom thread.

OOC posts. Nifty eh? We gotsa an OOC thread! But still, people seem to like to be OOC in IC threads.This isn't that bad, but still try to keep it to this thread. Also, try not to make all OOC posts, try to continue your IC interactions. It makes threads less confusing and easier to follw/jump into!
    So, try not to do this.

And, if you do make an OOC post in an IC thread, clearly label it.
    Like this.
    Way one: ((This is an OoC post!))
    Way two: This is an oOC post![/OoC]
    This will help clarify what's what in your posts.

Town time period and Town size. DO NOT state what time period the Town is in, or how big it is. The Town year is 2008, in the Townverse. The Town seems to be a nexus. People from all times seem to gather here. So, some people can be cyborg men, some cavemen, it doesn't matter, just have fun. Same with the size. The Town could be three building and a fence, or it could be a metropolis, it all depends on your imagination. You don't question other people's, they won't question your's. Let everyone have fun!

Realism. The Town shouldn't be too realistic, but it shouldn't be too cheasy either. Try and keep it semi realistic. When in plot, keep the plot's tone as pre-stated. For example, if you're doing a very serious vampire hunting plot, don't play a farting clown.

Plots. If you don't want people to be in them, clearly state in the first post, and say you don't want others to post there. It'll help eveyone, and stop confusion. Good for everyone.

Ims. Instant messages. These are best for short, quick conversations, fights, or romances, they won't clutter threads, and will save confusion. There are a lot out there, the best are probably Yahoo and Live, these work great and are easy to manage. Just google tthem, they'll be at the top of the list. If you can't download things, try Gabbly, it's browser based and easy to use.

Death. I know a lot of you don't want your characters to die, but, sometimes they have ot, for plot reasons, or because they got caught in a bad situation. But, making them not die is god-mody and bad. And when they die, please, make death mean something, keep them dead for a little bit, don't just auto rez them an hour later.

How I suggest we fix this.
    Fighting: Follow the guidelines provided in the fighting seciotn.
    Railroading: Don't have the ending of your plot preplanned.
    OOCK: Don't let your character know what you know and they don't.
    The curtain: Keep it to private threads or cut down. I actually suggest we make a DFI second floor thread so people don't have to read things like that if they don't want to.
    Short conversation: Keep short sentences to PM and IMs and try to give your post some meaning!
    OOC posts: Clearly label the OOC part and make sure you make an IC action!
    Realism: Conform to the setting.
    Plots: Label the first post!
    Death: Let your character die if it's gonna happen!

Report card: I'ma evaluate y'all!
    Godmodding: B
    I don't see too much of it... Some occasinaly, though.
    Niceness: C-
    A lot of people are being rude.
    Grammar: C+
    Meh...
    Fairness: C-
    Not very fair... Overpowerdness, godmodding, ignoring people...
    Overall...
    C+
    Good, but room for improvement!

Now, for all you nex people.
    A glossary!
    IC: In character; Things that happen to yor character.
    OOC: Out of Character; things that happen to you.
    PM: Private Message, you can send them over the board.
    Townie: A Town resident.
    The Curtain: What happens during intercourse to act as a censor.
    OOCK: WHen your character knows what the play does.

And, the Townie of the month award goes to...
    Mee!
    For excellent service in the name of the Town, to improve it!
    Trophy.

Congratulations Mee!

This is my December mayor adress.
    Thank you for reading.
    I'll be back in a month for more good times!
    ~Vince!
    There it is again for ya...
    It's just, ya know, I use green as my text color...

16. - Top - End - #646

I understand but I have to highlight it to read it. Which makes it rather annoying because it is important.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Orc in the Playground

K, well, there it is in black for ya.

18. - Top - End - #648

Thanks Quin

19. - Top - End - #649

Aaaand . . . . deadtime.
    I just wanted to put it here, as I have nothing IC to go with it in the DFI.
    Goodnight. I might be back in a few hours. Maybe.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

g'night mee =O

I have to go to bed myself.....

But mee, you're right about everyone posting so fast. I enjoy exploring my charactors personal feelings and thoughts and how they would react to each situation with what they've learned. I love bouncing around with other charactors and watching my own grow personally. I dont play for anything but to be, to act the role of someone, even if they are weak, even if they arent 'cool'. I try to play real.... But I cant do that, because if I take time to contemplate my charactors thoughts and actions and type them out, he gets horribly left behind....

Zeke has....become bland and a cliche after his initial spurt of growth....instead of being himself, he is going more with the flow, just because I want to respond quickly....its kind've hard...

Bubble has suffered too....

Maybe I'm just exausted...I need sleep....

I've read all of Mee's and quinstar's posts....

I dont know what else to say, sorry for complaining...
    Last edited by Jjkaybomb; 2008-11-30 at 11:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Halfling in the Playground

the quick posts wreck havoc with me too, like when I'm reading a story arc, then realize there are two extra pages and by then the arc will be done...

22. - Top - End - #652
    Orc in the Playground

Still here...

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Just a suggestion from a non-Townie, offered for your discussion:

What if the DFI had a three-post "rule" like in SMBG when there are a lot of people in the thread? I put "rule" in quotes, because it should be more of a suggestion than a rule, and wouldn't be applicable if there were only a few people online.

Three post rule:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We've officially gotten complaints from other posters, and we're going to have to institute a no-Spam policy here. It's going to work something like this:
    • You must wait for at least THREE people to respond to any game thread after you post to it before you can post again. Posting more often to the same thread is spam. "

Another option might be to suggest a time limit between posts in the same thread.

(Just to make it clear, I'm not actually requesting that you adopt either of these rules or making a complaint. I just follow this thread and thought you might find the idea helpful.)

24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground

I'd go with the time limit because a lot of times it's just two people chatting back and forth...
    But again, I recommend Ims for that...

25. - Top - End - #655

Yeah, the three post rule might be nice, but many, many times, there are only a few people there.
    And the PM and IM idea is nice, Quin, but . . . thinking about it, 90% of the stuff needs to be done IC. Granted, a lot of the OoC chatter can be done in IMs.
    Yeah, my two cents.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

You can roleplay in an IM.
    Need I remind you of the incident?

27. - Top - End - #657

No, I don't need a reminder.

And yes, you can, but . . . . the ability to use OoCK is overwhelming.
    Since all you need to do is say: I was told in an IM. So it's good.
    I wouldn't do that, but I can see some other people doing that.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

You can roleplay in an IM, and then paste the chat log into a single post later, for later reference.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #659

True. Good point.

But, again, the temptation is still there.

In fact, I don't even know why I brought that up. Or why I'm continuing it.
    Meh, either way . . . . odds are, it will continue in the DFI. Just . . . make the posts more meaningful, other then:
    Fred says "Hi"
    Bob says "Hi" back
    Give them more depth, such as this:
    Fred walks in, waves a greeting to Bob, gets a drink from the barkeep, sits down, and starts to sip at his refreshing drink, while talking with Bob.
    Bob waves in return to Fred, glad to see the companionship. He gets some popcorn, and sits down across from Fred. They have a great conversation.
    Maybe do the conversation via IM or PM. Then paste the conversation on the thread when they're done, or when someone else shows up, and wants to join in.

EDIT: In fact, this very thing is happening in the DFI right now.
    EDITEDIT: And now I deadtime. See you guys later.
    Last edited by Mee; 2008-12-01 at 12:40 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #660
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jjkaybomb View Post

I dont know what else to say, sorry for complaining...
    No reason to be sorry for that. Now, if you were complaining about the same thing over and over again, and it was annoying everybody, then yeah, you should be. But, your complaint was fine.

Anywho, time for my response to quinsar's speech. I think I'm going to start doing this regularly. Because I can.

I agree with the railroading thing, but I want to add a suggestion, which will allow people to come up with a predetermined ending. Basically, ask if anybody wants to join, and send a PM to whoever does with the ending you want, and see if they agree with that ending. Then, the stuff in the middle can still be unpredictable, and you can still have your ending.

With the Town's time, I think it would be a good idea to at least have a clear night and day. Maybe base it off of GMT?

Not really any other points I feel the need to bring up. I agree with everything else.

In other news, I got an awesome thing from work today. Found it in a truck.

It is a machete. That has been spray painted black.

The blade is about as dull as a spoon, but it can be sharpened. I just like the idea of having a machete. The blade is about a foot and a half long.

Also, I have a question. How do you change the title of a thread you created? I'm brining back an old thread, and I don't know how to change the title.
    Last edited by KerfuffleMach2; 2008-12-01 at 01:50 AM.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907