New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Divine Truths (IC)

Agamemnon

Agamemnon couldn't care less about the enviroment of the catacombs, or even that the woman who summoned them held a position of power within the temple. At this point, anything and everything could be a threat to Casandra. Especially the unfamiliar; and right now, he was surrounded by it.

Standing at his full height he glared around the room, carefully assessing the situation and studying the catacombs current, living occupants. He recognized most of them by sight, and in a few cases reputation, although he had never personally spoken with any of them. Perhaps they were decent people. Perhaps not. Either way, right now all they were were potential threats.

Turning his glare back on the Voice, he leaned forward, towering well over everyone else. Her pronouncement that the Culling had been more dangerous was worrying. He cared little for the political merit of her words. All it meant was that he had to be even more watchful. "What do you know of the assassins last night? Who sent them."

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fernalia raises an eyebrow at the brown haired woman's question. "Visions aren't the only way to know things... Listen to the talk around town. I know I heard at least two conversations about people failing in their first Culling on my way here, and I wasn't even trying to find such conversations."

She turns her gaze back to Yvelle. "I suspect I have you to thank for avoiding an unusually unpleasant Culling myself this morn? In such a case you have my gratitude." She pauses to give a short bow, before she continues--this time, as she speaks, another voice joins her from nowhere, high-pitched and slightly delayed, as if a small child were repeating Fern's words back to her mockingly. "Has there been a rhyme or reason behind these deadly encounters? Some pattern to suggest these killings are guided by some hand unseen?" Fern doesn't seem to even acknowledge the other voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    It strikes me that I haven't added Fern's description to any of these posts. Lemme remedy that here...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Portrait
    Spoiler
    Show

Fernalia--"Fern" as those who know her well call her--has a striking appearance. Her hair is smooth, straight, and black as night, falling to her hips (save for a few strands that rest directly over her eyes, which are cut very short). The edges of her hair are cut so that each strand ends at the same level, uncannily straight. This and her deathly pale skin together add an almost otherworldly contrast to her overall appearance. Her green eyes are bright, almost subtly glowing it seems. A small nose rests above lips that are almost as white as her skin in hue.

She is short and of an average-light build. Her body lacks the seductive curves most men seem to lust after--she is certainly feminine in shape, but her hips and chest have not filled out as fully as many women. She also lacks muscle toning of pretty much any type, seeming quite frail by most human standards. She has no birthmarks, scars, or tattoos.

She prefers simple dresses of dark hues--mostly reds, blues, greens, and purples. Aside from magical items and such, she wears no jewelry.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-12-19 at 07:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne takes Yvelle's lack of response to her complaining to be an indication that she doesn't entirely approve of the act, and she responds with a more astute comment. "Likely the change in how the Culling is performed is at the direction of the new high priest."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra glances once at Fernalia, raising her own brow, then goes back to looking at Yvelle, waiting for her answer.

Talk to me about the unimportance of visions when Anann has seen fit to send you some... then you can wax eloquent to me about how you preferred it when you picked up gossip in the market instead of having to look through the eyes of the goddess.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

"I have had no vision. More often than not, I rely on the power of my own eyes rather than the few gifts of knowledge Moraei sees fit to send, which are more often to torment and strengthen the mind than to truly give knowledge and fortelling."
    Yvelle cups her hands in front of her as she stands before them, the hood of her black and red robe hanging low to the point where it is difficult to see her eyes. The gesture she has made almost seems to convey a sense of duty and burden, of holding something that no one else can see.
    "And indeed, all of the answers to these questions is the same- they all lead back to the new high priest. He has seen fit to raise the difficulty of the Culling to the point that the worshipers who make it through alive were either lucky... or favored. The mounting death toll is something he has caused and is responsible for.
    "Worshipers are given more dangerous assignments, sent into lethal fights with one another to make sure that at least one of them dies. Some are assigned to kill 'heretics' in the temple which do not exist, as you had the pleasure of finding out, Agamemnon."

Yvelle looks over to the warrior, and the one glance he gets at her eyes is intensely unsettling. Somehow it reminds him of Cassandra and her visions in particular... but far more distinct, as if that sort of sight was carried with the woman eternally. However, Yvelle swiftly turns her gaze away and towards the others, keeping her eyes partially concealed behind her hood so that they will not see what Agamemnon had managed to see.
    "I have called you here so that we may work against him, as Moraei finds needed. I would not act directly to oppose him yet, but there are things to be done that will set the battlefield for the time to come."

6. - Top - End - #96

Fern listens quietly and nods slowly as she concludes. "So the new high priest seeks to reduce the following to include only those he favors? Interesting." Her tone is flat and unamused as she says this, a frown on her face. She brightens up a bit, half-smiling and speaking in a brighter tone. "I have no interest in watching that happen idly--I'll help in what way I can."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra looks thoughtful, "I do not see a problem with taking actions as you have laid them out. What do you want us to do?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne nods agreement with Cassandra. "Cassandra asks the right question, Oracle. What do you want us to do?" She smiles at the young woman with her protector. "Yes, I've heard your name, Cassandra. Although I don't believe I know everyone here by name. Perhaps a good starting point would be to share a little of what each of us are capable of? If I have to rely on you, I'd like to know what I'm relying on." She moves slowly, with practiced grace, walking past each person in the room-- besides Yvelle, of course-- sizing them up. Her gaze lingers longer on the oversized Agamemnon, but that may just be due to his excessive height.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

9. - Top - End - #99

Agamemnon

Agamemnon stares down at the woman, not bothering to hide the fact that he is largely disinterested.

"I protect Cassandra. If our actions involve that, I have no issues."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

If the fey-blooded woman notes Agamemnon's disinterest, it doesn't appear to faze her-- although perhaps she just missed it. His comment however, doesn't escape her notice-- particularly by what he's not saying. "And would that protection extend to the rest of us, if we find ourselves in need of it? Not that I would ask you to choose to defend me at the risk of her life-- it would be foolhardy to put trust in such an expectation-- but if we are to work together, some level of understanding should be reached. So tell me, giant, can I rely on your arm in my defense-- or in the defense of these other women-- or can I rely on you to only raise your arms in defense of Cassandra?" Vienne gestures at Fern and Morana when she mentions 'other women'; the action is carried out with the same grace and fluidity that fills all her movements. "And what if a plan of action puts her life at some moderate level of risk? Will you turn against us all in order to protect her?"

11. - Top - End - #101

Agamemnon

Agamemnon bends down, bring his face close to that of Vienne, and speaks in a low voice. "Cassandra will always come first."

Straighening slightly, but still keeping the same tone of voice he continues. "However, if all you and...these other women," his mouth turns upward ever so slightly into a sneer, "prove yourselves worth protecting, then I will do what I can."

He glances, almost furtively at Cassandra, before his gaze snaps back. "As for turning against you? Don't turn against me or my charge." He bares his teeth to emphasize the last statement.

"I'm sure, those conditions met, we will get along just fine. Cassandra comes first though. And if she exits the picture, do not trouble yourself on my behalf, as I shall take my own life."
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-12-23 at 03:56 AM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra looks at Agamemnon and smiles, as if everything he has said is all she would expect. "Agamemnon, my dear friend... Yvelle has gathered us for an important purpose for all of the worshipers of Moraei. You know how important the goddess is to me. I would like, very much, if you can extend your protection to these ladies, for if Yvelle is right, all of our fates are now intertwined. I don't expect you to go against your vows... goodness knows how many times I've tried to get you to do that... but I do hope you will think of these ladies as extensions of myself, since we are all working together. If I should fall, then I hope you will see all of them to a place of safety before you seek to join me in Moraei's embrace."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #103

Agamemnon

The giant looked pained for a moment, at the mention of his vows. But he could not deny her.

"Very well."

Turning to the rest, he speaks again, bowing his head. "It appears as though I shall serve as your guardian as well."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

"Well and good," Vienne says, dipping her head gracefully in acknowledgment of Agamemnon's comments. "You fight, or protect, if you prefer. I listen-- and I'm unobtrusive. Harlots can go pretty much anywhere we please, and often overhear things. It's something I can readily contribute to the cause."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Yvelle turns away from the group and slowly paces over to one of the many corpses around them, sliding an arm behind her back in a position reminiscent of a fencer's. She looks down at the skeletal figure, then smirks a bit before glancing over at the others.
    "First, we have to make sure that he won't target you with any more attempts. To do that, you have to make yourselves useful to him in some way- to garner his favor. To this end, I have made sure that each of you has been selected to do the work of one of his favored priests of Babde. I know that some of you, perhaps, are not as fond or familiar with such work, but in our new priest's eyes, the work of Babde may be far more important than any other aspect."
    The Voice turns to them and gives each of them a piercing look, the strangeness in her eyes clear to all of them now, though some perhaps did not understanding the meaning of it. It just seemed strange- like a distance... or more like that instead of looking at them, she was looking at a whole that included them. She had an encompassing gaze, one might say- but there was so much more than that.
    "Let me simply add this: the high priest does not intentionally kill those he favors, but nor will he care if they die. To him, all the deaths here serve a greater purpose- to him, the focus is on those dying, and not on those who will survive. Strange, perhaps... but I believe that making sure his favored are all that remain is not entirely his goal. There is a point to these deaths."
    She looks down at the skeleton once more, an unusual smile on her face as she contemplates the musty bones. After a moment more she looks back to them all, her expression very serious.
    "As such, much of your work will involve killing. Mostly outside of the temple proper... but there will be a few within who may fall under your jurisdiction. There is something more he is trying to start, and I think by taking this specific work, you may find out. It is a plan he has not revealed yet, and the instant there is a chance to know, I want to find out."

16. - Top - End - #106

Agamemnon

Agamemnon nodded. Although he was still highly suspicious of everyone present--especially the Voice--what was being suggested was highly reasonable. If the high priest was the one behind the attacks, then the first course of action was to alleviate any suspicion he had against them all.

"Very well. If we are to do this thing, then we should not tarry about it. Unless anyone has final words?"

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

17. - Top - End - #107

Fern shifts subtly as the nature of their work; a particularly sharp eye might note the shadow of a frown on her face for a moment. More chimes from a distant bell that doesn't actually exist sound around the group, and lights dance around Fern's fingers as she places her hands behind her back. "Very well then. If that's what needs to be done, we should begin." Her tone is difficult to interpret--decidedly neutral.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The oracle nods, "Do we present ourself to the high priest, or do you have some other method we should follow?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

"What ways would the high priest consider us to be useful? Is there anything in particular he's looking for?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

"There is a priest of Babde you will report to- you'll get a written notification soon, I don't doubt. As for culling favor with the high priest, just work with that priest... I don't want any of you speaking or interacting with the high priest directly. There is already a chance he'll find out what is going on- and he's a clever and powerful man. If he met in person, it would risk everything. I want you to be favored, but low key. Safe, but out of sight and mind. Understand?"
    Yvelle says, her voice almost commanding. It seems strangely like a scolding mother's tone...

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

"What is the high priest's fascination with Babde? It seems most of his supporters follow that aspect."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The mage considers Vael's words, "I will go and await notification then, Yvelle, unless you have some further instructions. I'm afraid my wits are slow this morning, I keep asking questions that you've already answered."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

23. - Top - End - #113

Fern shrugs. "Out of sight and mind, I can do. It sounds like all that's left to do right now is prepare and await our message."

24. - Top - End - #114

Agamemnon

Agamemnon nods. "Where she goes, I go. We will await word."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"I do not think it so much a fascination with Babde as it is that he finds her followers most useful to his cause; as his cause is ruthlessly pruning the temple, I think you can understand how that works."
    Yvelle smiles thinly, then begins walking away from them, moving towards the deeper catacombs.
    "We'll speak again soon, I don't doubt."
    She walks a little further, then pauses, glancing back at them as if she had just remembered something.
    "Cassandra- come with me. I wish to speak with you alone for a moment."

26. - Top - End - #116

Agamemnon

Agamemnon wordlessly prepares to follow his charge.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

27. - Top - End - #117

Fern gives a polite bow as the Voice walks away. She arches an eyebrow curiously as she calls for Cassandra, but says nothing more of it.

She will make her way back to the city and pass the time in places where gossip and information is exchanged, trying to get a gauge on just how wide-spread word of the unusual lethality of the Culling had become, and any other interesting bits of information--all taken with a liberal helping of salt of course, but such information usually contains bits of truth worth investigating.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne takes the necessary few steps to put herself besides the giant. She rests a hand lightly on Agamemnon's arm, not enough to apply pressure or restraint, just enough to get his attention. "She did say 'alone'."

29. - Top - End - #119

Agamemnon

Agamemnon stares down at the hand resting on his arm. "Remove your hand. I would dislike having to break my promise so soon after I made it. Keep to your own business."
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2009-01-02 at 12:12 AM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra looks Agamemnon in the eye and smiles, "It's all right... if Yvelle wished me dead, I would be already. Wait here, please, protect all of your charges my friend." She turns and walks over to Yvelle.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald