New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Divine Truths (IC)

Agamemnon

Agamemnon stares at Cassandra, appearing to consider her words. "Very well. But this time only."

He looks back at Vienne's hand. "You'll still need to move that hand."

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne removes her hand wordlessly. She turns and walks away, pausing once outside the catacombs to bathe her feet in the nearest pool and wait for Yvelle to pass by her.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

-Cassandra-

Yvelle smiles thinly at the scene Agamemnon makes, and then moves further into the catacombs with Cassandra, walking slowly and silently for a time. The catacombs show no sign of deviating in terms of appearance- it's all medium sized passages, filled with the interred dead of the temple, each body collected and stored within the labyrinth. It is kept clean enough to be tolerable, but in some places there are dust and cobwebs, particularly around the bones that Yvelle seems so fascinated with.

"Not many in this temple find themselves with the gift of sight, Cassandra. There are some who would say that you've been blessed..."
    She lets that linger in the air for a while before filling in the silence, a wry smirk crossing her face as she continues speaking.
    "I think we both know well enough to disagree with that assessment of the talent.

"There are oracles in the world, people who can see the future, the present, and the past. Some are even tied to gods- but in truth, none of these possess remotely the same type of vision that an oracle of Moraei does."

Yvelle turns to Cassandra, stopping her walk through the catacombs, her dark robes swishing with aborted momentum for a moment while Yvelle composes herself, looking Cassandra in the eyes with a seriousness and focus that draws her attention utterly.

"You have seen what other oracles we have. You have learned what you can from them- what they intend to teach you, and what they do not. You have learned that there are circumstances that can help bring about visions- observance of sacrifices and deep dwelling on Moraei- and you have also learned that even the best of her oracles can be driven completely, entirely, insane by their visions.
    "But you have also learned from them things that are lies. Lies, I feel, that should be pointed out to you and corrected, lest they lead you down the wrong path."

"They have told you that this- even if difficult- is a gift from Moraei. A power of foresight and knowledge given to you for a purpose that only the goddess can fathom. That the difficulty it causes stems from the nature of the goddess and her teachings- only those that can control it are worthy of it. But... my understanding of Moraei has made me perceive it differently.
    "Your visions are not a gift from Moraei. Nor are they a test. Moraei, in fact, does not intend to grant visions to her followers at all."

Yvelle smiles darkly and gestures with one hand.
    "There are some who are inexplicably attuned to the goddess more than others. They manage to see imperfect glimpses from her eyes, hear echoes of her thoughts and feel what it is to be the dread goddess. Those are your visions, Cassandra."

"The nightmares, the agony and madness stem from two things... a mortal's attempt to see from a perspective of someone far greater than they- and the very nature of our goddess. We do not worship a kind goddess, nor even an impartial one. Our goddess is a goddess of blood and death, and her very being reflects that."

Yvelle looks deep into Cassandra's eyes, and the young oracle fully sees what Agamemnon saw in them- the power of oracular vision- of understanding and connection with Moraei that she only gets in brief glimpses, but that Yvelle seems to possess completely. The darkness and power there draws in her, and Cassandra feels that she falls helplessly into a black gaze that is far greater than Yvelle herself.
    And then Yvelle turns her gaze away, and Cassandra is freed from the spell they seemed to have cast over her.

"You have known- if ever so briefly and imperfectly- what it is like to be our goddess. Take that as you will."

-Fernalia-

Word does seem to have spread outside the temple- more disturbingly, it seems that the deaths have as well. Fernalia hears of entire families with no real relation to the temple at all that were slaughtered, and then their bodies stolen in the night. The temple is still staunchly supported, for the most part, but those few who had harbored doubts are now quietly whispering them to others, wondering just why it is that Moraei called for such bloody and widespread execution.

However, this is not all Fernalia finds. By luck, chance, or by skill, she finds herself in conversation with a most singular man in a small, out of the way tavern...

The tavern, a higher up, more noble place called the Black Cauldron, is a multi level affair which receives a fair bit of custom. The ground floor is designed purely for eating and drinking, but the upstairs is a gambling area, also known for its other more private dealings- nothing illegal, though one would be hard pressed to find something that was illegal in this place- but things that people just didn't want to be common knowledge. Fernalia had watched and even gambled a little bit (though only a token amount), and eventually found herself talking to a man in a very dressy gray outfit who was keeping very close tabs on all the gossip and temple affairs.

Having found his knowledge both useful and curious, Fernalia continued their conversation after the gambling, and they're now talking in a quieter booth off to one side. The man is black haired and possessed of light blue eyes- a light colored cape swirled around his shoulders stylishly, with matching gloves that he just tugged off his hands so as not to wet them while handling his drink.

"I find this all to be quite troubling, actually. A new high priest, a sudden wave of deaths... one has to ask themselves- is he trying to establish authority, or does he have some kind of plan? And if he's trying to establish authority, why doesn't he pick out specific targets? Make examples of those who have spoken out against him in the past?"

The man has a hint of distaste in his voice as he speaks.

-Agamemnon, Morana, and Vienne-

(I don't really have anything to add here... if you'd like to wait it out, then that works, or if you want something to 'magically' happen to give you something to do, I can work that in too. I'll even post it separately so you can post again before the next post.)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The young oracle lowers her eyes and nods, "I will carefully consider all you have said, Yvelle. One truth you speak is certain; lies are rife within Moraei's temple. It will take great discernment to sort the lies from the truth, would that it could be as easy as sorting chaff from the wheat, but words are far more difficult to master."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #125

Agamemnon

Sweaty and dusty from the events of the night before, Agamemnon searches for a place to rinse his face and hands. A dark scowl settles across his face as he realizes the only place that's at all nearby is the pool where Vienne sits.

He stiffly walks over to the edge of the cistern and bends to his knees, still towering compared to a normal sized person. He reaches down, and begins splashing water up into his face, with little regard for where it is going. And it did splash rather far. However, the action was more out of habit than an attempt to be directly rude.

In fact, when he looks up and notices what he did, he looks almost apologetic.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne doesn't seem to mind the impromptu shower at all, even if it did spot some of her silken scarves. She begins to remove several of the more flowing ones as she speaks, "You'll find I'm quite fond of water. In point of fact, since we are supposed to develop some level of, well, trust for lack of a better word, I'll show you something few people know." With her more bulky layers removed, she falls into the shallow pool, letting her body sink to the bottom-- the surface of the water a few scant inches from her face. She looks up at Agamemnon from inside the pool with an impish smile on her face, continuing to stay there long past the point of anyone being able to hold their breath.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fernalia takes a sip of her wine--a small bottle of a middle-of-the-road label, neither high nor low class, bought with the modest winnings of a few games. She tips the glass back just barely enough to wet her lips, more concerned with looking like she's drinking than actually enjoying the drink itself. A single orb of blue light seems to rest on top of the liquid, floating just above the surface, tilting and bobbing as she handles the glass. Her poltergiest has chosen a convenient time to make itself less disruptive, mimiking the sounds of a songbird outside, occasionally throwing the creak of an old board into the scene at random. She continues the conversation with the smartly dressed man with a neutral expression, her tone intentionally betraying only curiosity, trying to bait the man into divulging more of what he might know or might have heard without betraying her own knowledge or intentions.

"What you're saying makes a good deal of sense--if he's looking to cement his authority, I would think he'd make his strike more surgical, destroying those who'd opposed him in the past as you say. Yet the deaths are so wide-spread... One cannot help but wonder what his goals are."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you'd like me to start including bluff or diplomacy checks in here, just let me know.

Also, the boards have been somewhat unreliable lately; if I stop posting suddenly it might be because I can't get the site to load.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Agamemnon's charge returns to his presence, "I suppose we should go and get some rest, Agamemnon. It has been a disturbing night, and likely to be a very strenuous time to come." She looks down, seeing Vienne in the pool. "What's up?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne resurfaces after having been down long enough to prove her point. She answers Cassandra's question. "Just a little attempt to build a rapport with your protector. I get the impression he doesn't accept outsiders easily. Seemed giving up a small secret would help." She looks to Agamemnon. "Did it?" She continues to sit in the pool, splashing the surface of the water gently with one hand.
    Last edited by DarkLadyOfTheSith; 2009-01-03 at 02:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

Agamemnon

As Vienne pulls off pieces of her filmy clothing and sinks beneath the water, and it becomes clear that she is not surfacing for a while, Agamemnon simply sits in silence. Although just the slightest bit of surprise shows on his face, as he registers just what he is being shown.

As Cassandra returned just then, and Vienne resurfaced, he stayed silent until the strange woman posed her question to him. He nodded slowly, his head dipping in a low curve as he did so. "Perhaps. The thought is appreciated if nothing else."

Standing, he turned to Cassandra. "We should return to the chambers for now, unless you have further business."

Over his shoulder, he speaks to Vienne once more. "We will meet again soon, I think. Until then."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The young woman nods, "Alright... perhaps I can catch up on my sleep a bit before we are summoned." She follows Agamemnon.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Morana

Morana departs the meeting in silence as the oracle dismisses them, not bothering to stay and chat. If we are not to know one another, we may as well truly not know one another.

So. A harlot, two other women, and a bodyguard.
    Morana wonders why they were selected. The bodyguard, she dismissed; he'd spent as much attention watching the others as listening to the oracle's words, the mark of a dedicated bodyguard. He might be formidable in a fight with that height, but despite her nominal choice of Babde, Morana considered pure fighting ability to be useless without drive, and one thing a good dedicated bodyguard lacked was ambition. That made him predictable. The harlot had detailed her own strengths well, and outlined her flaws at the same time—she acted mostly through others. She might not be trustworthy, but in a way, she too was predictable. The last two were harder to place: both young, both unarmored and not armed. It would be a mistake to underestimate them because of that, of course: Morana was not armed or armored either, after all. Still, they had the look of followers of Anann or Machei, not Babde, and if Yvelle were attempting to balance Moraei's three aspects, at least one would follow Anann.

Which led her to wonder how Yvelle had made her selections. Had she really arranged for them to be chosen to carry out the high priest's tasks, as she said? Or had she taken the simpler route of finding out who the high priest would be using as pawns, and approached those she felt would be most amenable? It seemed... easier. Less reliant on having manipulators within the high priest's favored, only spies. It would be good to remember that Yvelle had eyes everywhere, and perhaps fingers as well. Useful, in a patron.

Her measured footsteps take her away from the catacombs, and back towards her assigned chambers...
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne nods acknowledgement to Agamemnon's comment, then floats idly in the water until the others have all gone. Once they've departed, she dresses herself again, drying off with a prestidigiation spell, then reenters the catacombs looking for Yvelle.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

-Agamemnon and Cassandra-

The two begin the long walk back to their chambers, moving quietly through the large, empty halls that surround the catacombs. So few people come to this place, but attention on the culling, and the after effects of the culling, seem to have cleared them entirely. Any sound made is magnified, echoing around them almost accusingly. Agamemnon's weapons and armor are mercilessly loud, clinking and making other metallic noises difficult to muffle. They begin to jar at Cassandra, and she feels the beginnings of a head ache starting to form. A strange headache, more tension and pressure than one might expect... wait. Or maybe it isn't a headache.

She sees the flickers of a vision clouding around her sight, growing and strengthening , but not fully occurring. Normally visions rush in on her, but this time it is agonizingly slow and partial. She can see the hallway and Agamemnon- but there is also some strange flickering of dying, brilliant white light that fades into candle light, a candle with wax dripping down it that turns into blood leaking from a corpse. But it's all so faint that she can barely decipher it before the vision mostly fades away, still leaving the pressure and the faint images that cloud at the edge of her vision, but nothing that can really be see so easily.

Agamemnon, on the other hand, sees Cassandra slow down and cast her gaze around in confusion, then suddenly stop and limply start sinking towards the ground as her vision overtakes her. But she seems to retain some awareness of the world around her, which is entirely abnormal. It's rather disturbing to see her half in reality, half caught in vision.

Of course, the entire episode is disturbing to both of them. Cassandra never has visions so closely strung together, nor visions that are only partially formed. What is more, they tend to come on her when she is relaxed, not at every waking moment. They'd never hindered her like this before. Something strange was going on...

-Fernalia-

The man nods in agreement, but of course, why wouldn't he? She had practically echoed his every word, not that he seemed to notice. Maybe he was a bit arrogant and she was just stroking his ego in just the right way. With one hand, he brushes his hair away from his eyes, then narrows them a bit and leans closer, speaking lower. He seems to be more cautious and curious now.

"Right, that's exactly what I'm saying. See, I'm almost beginning to wonder if his goals are quite so good... I mean, anyone can make a mistake, or not make a wise choice, especially when they're pressured and given new responsibility, but what if it isn't a mistake? What if he's doing exactly what he wants to do, and that's going to get a lot more people killed?"

He's watching her warily, almost fearfully, as if he were wondering whether she'd attempt to turn him in or just plain disagree with him about the matter. After all, he was treading a very fine line, questioning the High Priest like that. The High Priest was the direct influence of Moraei on the world- questioning him was close to questioning the goddess herself. He continues a bit more hurriedly, trying to forestall anything like that, perhaps.

"I mean, I could be wrong, but if I'm not, think of what it could mean. There are people I care about- probably people you care about- that could get slaughtered just on some unexplained whim! Not a very nice thought, that."

-Morana-

Morana moves from the catacombs and back towards her chambers, thinking things over in her mind. The walk is long and most uneventful, but she notices something, especially after the talk with Yvelle had drawn their attention to the High Priest's favoritism of Babde's followers; as she moves from the catacombs (which is near Anann's portion of the temple) to her room (which is in Babde's portion), there is an increase of people and movement, as if Babde had a more populated temple, and that the activity there were stronger. Maybe it's just coincidence- after all, it is easiest to get into Babde's favor, and action is what Babde is about. But what if it is that the high priest has them all working? What if it is that there are more of them because the rest of the temple is being pruned away?

No matter what she decides or thinks about it, Morana makes it to her private chambers, which are just how she left them, devoid of people, lacking any kind of disruption. It's out of the way and private, as their name would suggest.

-Vienne-

Yvelle is slowly making her way towards the exit of the catacombs as Vienne approaches her, and as the Voice notes her pupil, she smiles a little, directing her attention towards her as she moves closer, every step slow and deliberate as she walks with that unhurried pace of hers.

"Vienne. Did you want to ask something? Perhaps you had some thoughts about the others that you wished to express to me?"

15. - Top - End - #135

Agamemnon

As they walked back to their chambers, Agamemnon had difficulty concentrating as he ran the events of the last hour through his head. Three women, and none who particularly looked as if they could handle themselves in an out and out close range fight.

Which was certainly not to say they were weak... Likely they were spell casters of some sort. Almost assuredly though they did have weaknesses, which apparently were Agamemnon's to guard against now. This would be difficult. Especially since he still wasn't thrilled over doing it. Every bit of effort he put towards protecting the others was effort that could not be expended towards Cassandra.

As this thought went through his mind he noticed Cassandra sinking slowly to the floor. Making a quick step he stretched out his arms and enfolded her before she could hit the ground. The only words he speaks are under his breath as he pulls her tight against him.

"Gods be damned, it's happening already."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The young woman shivers and looks up at Agamemnon's face as he holds her in his arms, "Vision... broken... white light... candle... bloody corpse." She shudders and looks at him with little-girl eyes, "She said it was to no purpose... that I just catch glimpses of the goddesses mind because I'm attuned to her somehow. All this pain and anguish and it's to no purpose." She suddenly breaks down and begins sobbing.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2009-01-04 at 09:00 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #137

Agamemnon

Looking helpless as the young woman sobbed in his arms, Agamemnon felt almost as upset as Cassandra looked. He had to do something. Anything. He couldn't stand seeing her like this. It was happening more and more, and he couldn't stand it.

After one more tortured instant he tilted her head back and planted a kiss firmly on her lips, his face pressed tightly against hers as his arms found the way to the back of her neck.

And then he stopped.

He spoke in a deep growl, almost a snarl. "Quiet. Be quiet. Don't talk like that. Don't ever talk like that." He gave her a shake to emphasize his words. "I refuse to believe that your visions have no purpose. You are special Cassandra. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

His voice turned to a softer tone. "You've been doing so well. Don't let it be for nothing."

Silently, he swept her up into his arms for the second time that day and carried her back towards their chambers.

Spoiler
    Show

On the one hand, this is a bit sooner than I was planning on anything happening. But on the other, it seemed like the right thing to do.

I do think though that right now the furthest it should go is the kiss, unless you feel otherwise, Wiz.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Her mind fragmenting with despair, the young oracle suddenly feels hot lips pressed against hers and a pair of long arms enfolding her in a way that she has dreamed countless times. She relaxes into the kiss, simply existing for the eternal second until it is broken. She waits another eternity to see if it will be renewed, unable to reciprocate Agamemnon's hug, so completely do his arms enfold her. She opens her eyes and looks up into his face, his eyes alert and scanning ahead as he carries her effortlessly. She feels like a child, and at the same time, more like a woman than she's ever felt before. She closes her eyes and lets him carry her, not daring to speak lest the spell be broken.

You are my strength, Memni... I... I love you...

Spoiler
    Show
    However you wish to handle it. I didn't know if we would ever resolve the *ahem* complications between these characters. Certainly if roleplay suggests that is the best course - I'm perfectly fine going along with it, or waiting and let the tensions build. ;)
    Last edited by Wiz; 2009-01-04 at 09:01 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

"Both, mistress. Why did you choose these in particular? They do not seem ready to work with anyone, let alone each other. The giant has some sense of loyalty at least, but he won't extend it past Cassandra. The others-- it's hard to gauge their potential. You must see more in them than I do, and I wonder what it is you know." She walks a pace behind Yvelle, moving at the same slow pace.

20. - Top - End - #140

Inwardly, Fern is grinning confidently. She'd dealt with this type before. She doubted she'd get much useful information from him, but one never knows... In the meantime, toying with him might prove amusing.

Outwardly Fern gives no hint of this internal monologue. Her face is a practiced mask of concern, with just a hint of a fearful frown at the dire implications of the man's words. She speaks with a very serious, hushed tone, by appearances trying to keep the conversation private to their table. "So... you think think this might be intentional? That is a bold claim..." She speaks that last bit almost reverently, awe-struck by the bravery needed to speak out like this. "But, I have to wonder, why? What could possibly motivate the high priest to do such?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+17=18)

Damn it all.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2009-01-05 at 06:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

By the time they reach the chambers, Cassandra's half-vision state has mostly faded away, though she continues to see the faintest flickers of something at the edge of her sight. Still, the experience was draining and disconcerting.

(Feel free to ignore this next section of text until you've finished roleplaying out this situation to your content, or until you've done other things you might be interested in.)

A while later, there is a knock at- surprisingly enough- Agamemnon's door.

-Fernalia-

((Luckily, he didn't roll much better than you did. Success.))

The man smiles in a way that makes Fernalia wonder if she sized him up right... he almost seems to look a little too satisfied with her response to what he said.

"I do think it might be... as for what, well..."
    He looks around a bit- not so much warily but as to symbolize that this was a very quiet topic- and then leans even closer.

"See, it's no secret that the people in that temple are after power- it's their entire belief system, after all. Can't expect them to deny it. I think the high priest is going to try something- something big- and he wants everyone to fear him before he does it. He wants them to know he can kill anyone on no more than a whim.

"Of course, it's just speculation at this point, but the real thing important to us is that he holds this kind of power no matter what he plans on doing with it. So far he's shown us that he's willing to wipe people out with no explanation or reason. You have to ask yourself- are you really going to stand for that? Do you really approve of it? And... if you could... would you help someone who maybe was trying to put a stop to it?"

The man seems to have reached the point he was aiming for the entire time...

-Vienne-

"I did not choose them for their skills in cooperation, Vienne. Respect can be learned in time- time which I intend to give them. They are smart people- they know that working together will be their best option, even if it is not what they want. They know that inciting my anger against them is a poor idea. From there, things will develop, and they will be able to work as a group."

Yvelle smiles a little at Vienne as she moves a little closer to the entrance, then stops at a distance just close enough to where she would know if someone was coming, but to where if someone was coming they would have a hard time understanding what was being said.

"I chose them in particular for other reasons- they have talent, skill, and untapped potential. They seemed like they would be wise enough to recognize that just because the High Priest has that position, that does not make his every decision wise, nor ensure his loyalty to the church. I do not think they will betray me...
    "What is more, I chose them because they had not attracted attention from the High Priest. Those who are powerful tend to gain more notice from higher authorities, and they hadn't quite managed to... yet. I snatched them before anyone else realized just how valuable they might be."

Yvelle pauses, then looks at Vienne with caution in her eyes.
    "There is... one more reason. I chose them because they are- should it become necessary- expendable. It would be disappointing to waste such talent as theirs, but it is a loss that would be affordable. It cost me little to bring them here and have them spared. It was simple to arrange to get what I needed- at least relatively.
    "I doubt it will ever come to that point, but I feel that you should know that- if it seems that they will be a danger to us or the temple- I am perfectly willing to sacrifice them. I have not put nearly enough time and effort into them as I have someone like you."

The Voice raises a hand to gently cup under Vienne's chin, speaking to her with a softer voice, more gentle and reassuring.
    "You needn't fear that you will come to the same end by associating with them. Precautions have been made should you ever fall into a poor situation- I've no doubt I could pluck you out of the very grasp of the High Priest should I have to."

22. - Top - End - #142

Agamemnon

Reaching the chambers, Agamemnon once again goes to his own bedchamber and places Cassandra down on the bed tenderly. However as soon as his arms had left her skin he backs away, torn and uncomfortable.

He can only get one thing out: "Rest."

Retreating awkwardly, he backs to the wall, and leaning back against it, shuts his eye and slides down the wall till he ends up in a hunched crouch on the floor.

Cassandra...

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The young heir of Cagliostro looks at her bodyguard, "I'm sorry that I'm so much trouble, Memni... but thank you. You saved my life again." She refrains from undressing before him, realizing how much her actions have been hurting him and pulls the covers up closing her eyes.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #144

Agamemnon

The giant falls into a slumber of his own, until he is awoken by the knock at his door. Awake in an instant, he stands and, mindful of earlier events, grabs his spear before answering it.
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2009-01-06 at 04:36 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

"Thank you, mistress." She smiles at the Oracle, either comforted or pleased somehow by what she's heard. "I will do my best to keep them out of trouble, but I will be mindful of what you have told me about them. Do you have any other instructions for me, or should I go about my usual business until called for by the high priest's minions?"

26. - Top - End - #146

Inwardly, Fern raises an eyebrow. This isn't quite what she'd expected, but it's intriguing--and possibly useful. After all, a rebel leader doesn't want to be exposed until he's properly roused the rabble. The possibilities for extortion here are more than she's willing to pass up. And the way he says "they" when he speaks of Moraie's followers indicates he's an outsider. Just where is this man from? If he is what she is vaguely beginning to suspect, then the situation has become that much more interesting. But first, to get him to say more...

The young woman gives no outward sign of this inner monologue. Outwardly, Fern's eyes widen, and she scans the room as a show of caution. She then looks the man over, visually seeming to be truly seeing the man for the first time, her eyes respectful, bordering on reverent. In truth, she's gauging the man's strength, in case the discussion should take an unfortunate turn. She then begins speaking in a hushed, excited tone. "Are you saying... You know of such a group? I mean, who would have the courage or the power to defy the high priest? Just talking about it could get you killed here."

An observant onlooker might note that the sphere of light floating in Fern's wineglass has changed color, now a light purple with green forming smooth curves through it, somewhat similar to a pattern one might see stirring cream into coffee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff/Sense Motive: (1d20+17=22, 1d20+15=29)

That sense motive is for figuring out whether or not he's being truthful and for getting at any other motives he might have in this conversation. I'mma also do a quick assess opponent on him:

Assess: (1d20+15=27)

I'd have preferred a better bluff there, but so it goes.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

There is a woman outside the door, short haired, a bit scarred, and wearing light leather combat armor. She gives a short, abbreviated bow to Agamemnon, dark hair waving with the motion. Formality conducted, she looks Agamemnon in the eyes, her expression militant and dutiful.
    "Agamemnon?"
    Without waiting for him to affirm or deny, she gives a little salute and then stands straight, speaking clearly.
    "Third Priest Nestor has sent a message to you and the lady you serve. Between you and I, he will want a quick response."
    She bows again, turns smartly and walks off, leaving him with the scroll.

Inside is a message.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To Cassandra and her Servant,

You have caught the attention of priests higher in Moraei's service. We find that your talents would be useful in the service of Babde, and require that you report to the Audience Chamber in the center of Babde's compound just before sun's Zenith. You will receive instructions and orders there.

[A perfectly craft signature reading "Nestor Neleus" is right below the terse message]

-Fernalia-

The man nods, leaning back a little smugly and gesturing to himself, obviously pleased with the reaction he has drawn from Fernalia so far. He picks up his drink and sips from it before speaking.
    "I'm in such a group. As for my possible death... well, I already have that to fear from the actions of the high priest. Why should a second, identical threat cause me any more fear? If I have a chance of dying without cause or reason, it is no different from dying with cause or reason."
    He leans forwards again, folding his hands in front of him.
    "We're still a little small, but we're growing, and rapidly. If we can continue to muster forces, we may be able to make a change here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fernalia guess that he is either slightly weaker than her, or on par with her level of skill. She can't be sure.
    He seems truthful, but there is a little more that he's leaving out...

-Vienne-

"I have nothing more planned for the moment, Vienne."
    Says Yvelle softly. She seems to be waiting for something, however. A test? Yvelle did love testing Vienne, after all... perhaps there was something else to what she had been saying, or something that Vienne missed.

Yvelle gives no clues, if indeed there are clues to give or a puzzle to solve.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2009-01-08 at 01:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

As Agamemnon closes the door, holding the scroll, he hears Cassandra move up behind him. Normally he might expect her to take the scroll from him in an imperious manner and read it first... he might be surprised when he hears her speak in a subdued... almost a little-girl voice. "What does it say?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Morana

The careful, methodical strokes of sand, ink and magic help Morana to collect her thoughts. She had a means of advancement at the First Temple now—a, singular. Not bad, she supposed, given that she had only arrived recently, but not particularly good either. She always preferred to have more options—especially when they depended so heavily on the goodwill and success of a superior.

But what Yvelle had said was important. If the high priest was culling (or Culling; hah!) those he did not favor from the temple, this presented a difficulty for her; she was not one of his favored. The turmoil provided many opportunities, but she was not established here, did not have rivals to strike out against, humiliate, or impress; it served whatever the high priest's purposes were, and it endangered her.

On the whole, she thought, she preferred Yvelle. A still, stagnant Temple would be easier to deal with than one in motion, aimed at unknown goals. She needed to know what those were. But the high priest would watch those he trusted with that secret...

With her incantations finished, Morana begins a set of physical exercises, to make up for missing the morning services. She wasn't required to attend, as a guest, but missing them too often would hardly help her quasi-priestess status.

Spoiler
    Show
    If nobody comes by in the next couple hours, she will relocate to one of the more visible practice yards to continue her exercises.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #150

Agamemnon

Agamemnon reads the scroll in silence, and the crumples it into his palm. A small smile spreads across his face.

"It seems Third Priest Nestor wishes our presence. We shouldn't keep him waiting."
    Turning to Cassandra now, "Are you able to go?"

Necrosis
    Xxzyx