New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Tale of Dieties - IC

Vor

The Vor had grown over the last 100 years. Despite the storm that damaged Koralis, they had repaired and continued. The total Vor population had reached 125,000.

A new city had been born in the swamps, and while it was nothing like that of the desert, those living there had become to call it "Home".

The Vor spread out across the desert, building cities underground, or near the few sources of water. Many Halflings had begun living in the cities as welcome guests, and some had even given up on the nomadic way of life.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

You owe me an escape route

Bunkrick watched the flare's destruction with a lead weight in his stomach, the dragon's returning head filling him with a newfound sense of terror. Even his curiosity and pride could not stop the fear this time, but his duty was what carried him through. "Right..." He quavered, "I suppose we could...trade? Maybe? You know, give you some barding or something in exchange for....wait a second! You didn't even tell us what you could trade for our stuff!" He suddenly yelled, realization dawning on him. "Yeah, show us what you can trade us, then we'll get to negotiating!"

He then turned to the crew, eyes wide in shock, "<Any ideas on how to contact the city? Flares aren't viable anymore...>"
    "<Dragon flame?>" One of the crew members suggested, "<Not much range, but->"
    "<How would we even get the fire? They don't want to trade!>"
    "<What about going back home?>"
    "<What, with the Recall Coil?>" Bunkrick asked, "<We don't even know if that thing can work, let alone if it will!>" He yelled, his Gnomish spewing out fast and furious.

And so they went on, arguing on how to escape.

Boddypen stood up, walking towards the chest. "There's no key." He said, producing a wrench from his vest. "It's just an incomplete device." The Gnome leader then walked over to the chest, inserting the tool into the H-shaped keyhole. There was a loud click followed by the ringing of metal on metal. Only a Gnome wrench could survive the anti-lockpick countermeasures installed, and- once the clockwork realized the wrench was indeed what it needed- the chest unlocked. The lid swung open, the chains and duct tape sealing it shredding into so much confetti.

An unbearable heat rose up from the opening container, the interior letting out all of the warmth that had been carefully packed into it. Each side was thickly padded with various wools and felts, and on the bottom- laying on a satin cushion- was a steel egg. That was the only way to describe it really, a spherical object that- despite being made from steel- seemed fragile. Gemstones lined its length, and magical energy radiated from its center.

Boddypen stepped back from the container, "It's an experimental device we've been working on, we planned to use it when we came here to establish a new city." He explained, standing well away from the container.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Minor Act to create the first Chi Core (Qualifies as a new city)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, Yes he is

Bomba sat back in his chair.

Most interesting. And what would you do with this thing if I had not found you. A dozen individuals are not enough to populate a city, even less so without any women. Which means...

He snapped his fingers. Seargent Whatshisname came into the room.

You mean to contact the other gnomes to populate the city. You played this poor sap, and probably left a man in your machine to send a signal. Seargent, get yourself back to that machine and await further orders.

Yessir. Sorry, sir. Please forgive me, sir.

The seargent bustled out of the room, still blubbering his apologies.

Now, I am an honest person. If you can convince me that you can build your city, I will not stop you from building it. Otherwise, I could take this bauble now and it will never get to be used. Wouldn't that be a shame?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hope

Boddypen felt a little glimmer in him: This was it, all he would have to do is activate the Chi Core, and it may well provide him with the way out. All he had to do was sell it right, and he may well be able to get out of here in time for the fleet. Depending, of course, on if there was a fleet.

"Obviously you are more clever than the others under your command." The Gnome complemented, reaching down and grabbing the steel sphere. "This orb is alive, as it may seem hard to believe. When it is split open, it will become the nexus of a new city, using the nutrients in the soil to act as a biological base for-" The Gnome caught himself, and he took a breath, "To put it simply, it's a growable city in a sphere. Crack it open, give it some food, and it'll do the rest."

He hefted the sphere, the magic radiating from it. "I can show you, if you want." He offered, "All I need is a bit of bio matter, and the magic contained will do the rest."
    Finji crawled under a gap made by an overturned cabinet, reaching the less orderly part of the wagon. Several pieces of debris had filled the walkway to the flare launcher, and a small fire had started along one of the gas lines. Pixie stick in hand, the Gnome messenger began to run.

He leaped over a broken barrel of rock nuts, his tiny legs carrying him further towards the flare launcher. His heart pounded in his chest and his mind raced. Thirty-two degrees to the northeast, at six leagues range. Red Flare No. 4, which specified crew capture by unfriendly natives. Thirty-two degrees to the northeast, at six leagues range-

His mind ran the same instructions over and over again as his body went into automatic. His arms covered his face as he leaped through the flames of the bent gas line, the heat searing. His skin went bright pink where the burning gas touched him, his uniform igniting as he let out a scream. He crashed into the launch system with his entire body, bouncing off of it so hard he nearly fell back into the flames.

When his hands came away from his face, Finji saw he was where he wanted to be. He stood in the enclosed four-by-four cell that served as the launch room, which was adorned with only three things. The first was the launch mechanism itself, nothing more than a cast iron pipe with a hatch and fuse that was mounted on a rotating disc. Next to the mechanism was a box with a glass front, a hammer attached to its side. Inside of the box were several different flares, each one prepared for a different situation. The only other object of note were the controls on the opposite side of the mechanism, ready to be used to make adjustments for firing.

In Finji's hand, the pixie stick began to fade, the creature providing light having been boiled in its little prison. He would have to do this quickly with what little light he had and he would have to do it right.

5. - Top - End - #275

Bomba cares little for your emotions!

The leponite stood up and picked the gnome up by the back of his jacket. He was huge, buy gnomish/leponite/halfling stadards.

Hold on there, you little scamp. I am not giving it to you. You need to give me an incetive to do so. As I said, you have designs that are creative, functional, but not very durable and dangerous to the user, but we can work with that. I want the designs for your "famous" gnomish weaponry, preferably the stuff that goes "bang".

Make me an offer, and then we can talk about making your city.

He snatched the orb and placed it back in the box, setting Boddypen back down. He smiled warmly, an expression that seemed entirely wrong for this Leponite.
    --------------------

Move it. The boss wanted this thing taken care of a long time ago!

The brachiosaur drivers led their beasts forward, dragging the stone craft through the forest and to a gaping stone maw in a cliff face. They had pulled the thing into a large cave. If the gnomes did leave a man in there, there was no sense in letting him take off again or whatever. Besides, no one but the Boss and his men needed to know about this thing.

------------------
    Leponites

The leponites became even more adapt at animal husbandry, developing trained parrots for communication and reconassance. They also were breeding their original beasts for intelligence and strength. The outdated brachiosaur was replaced by far heftier and stronger brontosaurs/apatosaurs.

Their craft was also improving. Always seeking new ways to make things and looking for stronger materials, the leponites were able to create stronger alloys and architectural techniques.

Several lesser crime lords and goons popped up, trying to be like the great Bomba, but each was quickly and completely squashed by state forces and, sometimes, Bombas well-trained private army. The Leponites were getting a knack for conflict and warfare.

Their overall production had to increase as well to accomodate for the need for new materials and growing economy. With new techniques and machines, they almost doubled their original output of necessary resources.

Spoiler
    Show
    4 minors used
    1 to establish militaristic nature
    1 to increase production (also, the new brontosaurs help)
    1 to bump up animal husbandry
    1 to increase aptitude for making things.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-12-13 at 05:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Romachuk sighed.No one wzs doing aything realted to him, or his domains. Rather boring. So, with a wave of his hand he created the Dirge Singers, and for them (so far a major act, and a minor one.) he made the words of unmaking. With these words they could force a creature to submit to their will, or cause a victim (who's true name they learned.) to die spontaneously among other things He then gifted this power to the First 13 giving them the new title "Banshee."

Acts used:
    Spoiler
    Show

2 major to create dirge singers.
    1 minor to teach it to the first 13 makign them the banshees.
    Acts left:
    O major.
    1 minor
    3 ceremonies.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your life or your firepower?

Boddypen looked at Bomba as if he was mad, his eyebrows knitting in confusion. "You want us to make you...weapons? Tools of war? Engines of destruction?" He looked to his fellow Gnomes, each one having concern written on their features, "Though I am loath to even consider it, I must wonder as to why you would not simply dispose of us after we had done your work. What insurance do we have that we can return home if we build your murdering machines?"

The Gnome leader sat there, looking at the criminal leader with a face that said: We could very well blow this place to kingdom come, should you push us too far.

Finji planned on doing just that, actually. When the wagon had begun to move, he had just placed the flare in the launcher. It had not been aligned or anything, but now that he was in the cave, he had been able to do those things with a bit of breathing room. They put him in a cave, surely a creature from a race of inventive beings couldn't figure out a way to escape.

Finji, quite frankly, would have considered them idiots had he not been so consumed in his mad plan. He knew it was a suicidal idea, a long shot in a very dark place. He also knew that it was the only way he could possibly set off a beacon that might be seen. There were several other known facts in his head, but right now the only one there was to do his current mission.

His peeling hands shakily adjusted the launching mechanism, the flares in the now-broken box placed. He had adjusted it to fire at the right height, and the flare was loaded. The only thing left was to head up to the bridge and perform the last bit. His clothes had been torn into carefully tied strips which now led a path of fabric to the bridge. He had deactivated the fire-spewing pipe quite efficiently: He used the hammer next to the glass box to smash the line shut. Even now, the gas leaked into the air, threatening to demolish Finji's plan at the hinges.

Scuttling towards the bridge, the Gnome produced the sole match left in the fuse drawer. Up ahead of him was the giant hole in the windshield, as well as the various blood splatters where crew members had been sucked out of said hole. Now there were several tubes pointing towards him, as well as a thin line that ran along the floor to the captain's chair. The length of cloth fuse ended there as well, and it seemed fitting to Finji that his plan end there.

Taking his seat up on the compact throne, the Gnome messenger held the fuse for the window flares and the cloth fuse for the flare launcher in his right hand. His left held the match, which he ignited along the stone surface of the throne's armrest. Sparks flared, and Finji's last sight was of a line of sparks trailing along the floor, leading towards the stockpile of flares as the cloth line trailed back towards the flare launcher.

His life ended then and there as the flares went off, six explosives rocketing forward. They took the wagon with them, giving it a thunderous jolt for several seconds. They dislodged as the wagon thundered forward, burying into Finji's body before exploding in a pyrotechnic display.

The wagon was well in motion at that point, tearing through the cave mouth as well as anything else in its way. It exploded several meters outside of the cave mouth, the detonation blowing the wagon clean in half. Both halves spun wildly through the air, the signal flare firing from the rear half. It did a wild spiral towards the heavens before exploding in a brilliant flash of colors, a bright flash of red illuminating the heavens. Six more red flashes, of varying tints, followed after it.

Whether anybody in the City of Cogs noticed it, however, was another story entirely.

8. - Top - End - #278

Bomba

Bomba glowered at the gnome

I wouldn't trust you to make clay bricks. No, we make our own stuff. And let me remind you that I can take it one way or the other. Let me put things into perspective.

You have one glorified hovel of a city. Our empire has many which are at least twice that size, a third of which are under my controll. I could leak some information to the government and pull some strings and tell everyone how the violent outsiders are planning on using their devestating weaponry on our farms. The leponite army has a fully mobilized military numbering in the hundreds of thousands that can easily smash your puny nation, regardless of your devices, and that's not including the specialized units.

I simply wish to avoid any unneccesary bloodshed. Invasions are costly things to both sides. Whether or not you live is of no concern to me. However, if it will put you at ease...

He motioned again with his hand and two leponite soldiers came in with a roll of parchment and a pen. He took the pen and began to write.

"I, Boss Bomba, pledge not to slaughter the gnomish rabble led by the gnomish captain, who will be known as 'Captain Uppity Trousers' if he should chose to divulge information on designs for requested inventions. Upon delivery and verification of authenticity, Captain Uppity Trousers and his men shall be released to do as he will within the boundaries of leponite law should he stay within leponite lands. If they chose to go to their homelands, they shall not be hindered in any way. After transactions have been deemed acceptable, the gnomes shall be allowed to activate their city-in-a-ball within Leponite lands"

He signed his name with a flourish and handed the pen to the guards who also signed.

There. Sign and I cannot lay a finger on you if you do as I ask. We have witnesses. Please sign your name as "captain uppity tousers", if you will.

The seargent bustled into the room and handed bomba a note.

Hmm...Until you do accept and deliver...

He pointed at one of the gnomes

Break all of his limbs and give him a sipn. Gather a welcoming party in the forest. I expect some more guests will be arriving soon.

Two guards grabbed the unnamed gnome and dragged him off and out of the room, presumably to be tourtured a bit.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-12-13 at 10:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"A new nation must arise. A new city, under a new name!" The Defiled One screamed. "I shall be the master of all magic!"

And thus it was done. All of his minions were now fully versed in all ways of magic.

"Arise, a new city!" And so it did, from the ground, a magic forest arose. For those who knew it's paths, it would provide safe passage. For those who did not, an impenetrable maze. In this city would be kept all the knowledge in the world. Inhabited again by a parody of the existing race

"Now then, arise, Magnus!" A new hero stood before The Defiled One, wielding a sword that ran with eldritch powers. "Serve me well, little one."

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Used 1 major act to gain domain: "Magic", which gives me and my minions access to all magic in general.
    1 Major act to create new exarch.
    1 major to alter race.
    1 minor to create new city
    1 minor to alter landscape.
    Last edited by Liquidcore; 2008-12-14 at 08:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Iron Gnomes

The khan seemed to calm down a bit. He looked at Pilnig.

"You should know that we don't need superior ships, for now, anyway. As far as our technology goes, we have the means to kill you, if we want to. That's what matters, right?"

The Greater salamander laughed.

"In light of your explanations, I will accept your gift as such. The gnomes won't be hunted. You'll even be free to walk in the Middle City. Explore the archipelago if you want, I don't care. However, none of your kind shall settle in the Plains of Ash. This is salamander land. Our land.

You are dismissed. You may go."

------------------------

Oghi

Oghi sent a message to Uso.

"Remember me? We've met when you engaged that multi-headed dragon thingy in battle. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Hey, it was still fun. Now, I'm contacting you because I want to create a magical tradition. Something I call "shamanism". Since you are an elemental god and you have also created violent spirits - Storm Wraiths, is that it? - I thought that you would be willing to help create it."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2008-12-14 at 09:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

Gard was happy and he sat in his city, the souls of his chosen around him. He wondered what to do with his power but couldn't decide. Gard then had an idea. He would walk the world corrupting individuals as he went and convincing them to worship him.

Gard first went in the form of a salamander. Gard would soon have more souls.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hurt him and your gosh-darned devices won't be as cool, you son of a gun!

Boddypen looked to the Gnome being dragged away, then to the contract. He grabbed the pen, letting it hover over the contract. "If you hurt Seewinkle, your inventions won't be as high-quality. You know this, yes?" He said, looking over the contract. It was quite clever, really, to expect him to fall for the "Uppity Pants signed, not Boddypen" trick. With a few strokes, he slashed out "Uppity Pants" and scribbled in "Boddypen" in its place. He did not sign at the bottom, however. Not yet, at least.

Pilnig frowned, scratching the back of his head. This was hardly the sort of conquest he was looking for, just giving something to the Salamanders and being told to bugger off.

"Is there any way we could persuade you to...I don't know, trade with us? I mean, I'm pretty sure you lot would enjoy the Automated Water Making Machine. Maybe I could interest you in buying some iHELPERs?"

At Observatory A, Finder was hard at work observing things. His job was to observe troop movements, weather patterns, incoming asteroids, and other such minor things. Lately all he had to observe was the sky, his telescope focused on the moon (which was rumored to not really be a moon, but a giant battle station). Thus, when he saw the flicker in the distance, his telescope honed in on it with eagerness. Something to actually [i]report[i], rather than meteor impacts.

His scope was consumed in flashes of red, and the Gnome felt a slight quiver go down his spine as he saw the various explosions of what could only be an emergency flare. In a matter of seconds, the telescope was abandoned, and an important communique sent through the pneumatic messaging system.

It would be little under an hour before everything really got up to speed. The City of Cogs was a flurry of activity, its reserves of technology flowing to the fore as an anti-vampire war effort became work towards a "Search/Destroy/Recover" effort. Unfortunately, with the city's resources stretched thin as they were, an envoy was dispatched. One heading towards a certain ally's lands. With the sound of reality tearing, the envoy's transport left the known universe, slingshotted around the unknown, and came back with relatively few dramatic effects (and, surprisingly, no casualties).

When the envoy appeared, however, it was hardly an exemplary meeting. The transport, laden with members of the religious faculty, hardly had time to blink before being rushed from the vehicle. Twenty Gnomes sporting the latest designs in religious fashion clambered down the wagon's boarding ramp to the base of the Defiled One's tower. At their forefront was a familiar face, that of Jebni (minus his assistant Daldar). The Gnome quickly hurried them inside, the pre-set course of trails easily bypassed with a bit of urging, a few hard knocks to the back of the head, and several not-so-subtle threats to turn the more inquisitive clerics into eunuchs.

With what could only be described as a "Mad dash", Jebni and company came into the Defiled One's chamber. Many gawked,a few whistled, but the majority had the wisdom just to shut up and let the lead Gnome deal with the deity.

Hobbling forward on a cane, the elderly Jebni looked to the Defiled One with wide eyes. "Hey, we've got a problem. A big problem."

"Well hello there little one, a pleasure to see you again. What's the matter?"

"As of..." Jebni produced a pocket watch, giving the ten different hands and tickers a brief glance, "Two hours ago, one of our search-and-invade teams sent up a rescue flare. A No. 4 Red Flare, one that means they were taken hostage by unfriendly natives."

"Taken hostage? Oh my...maybe they'll be tortured? Why aren't you over there getting them then? Get in on the action.." He said, giggling in pleasure.

"The problem is that if they were taken hostage, then that means the natives are not only hostile, but advanced enough to overpower thirteen well-armed Gnomes. Can you see the problem there?" Jebni asked rhetorically.

"Ah yes, I see the problem entirely, what do you propose, little one?"

"Normally we'd just handle the problem ourselves, but what with the war with Amon, we can't spare the resources for a full-scale rescue-slash-invasion. So we need you to help us, we know you have divine power, and we have our own as well. I am...formally asking you for aid in recovering the lost crew." Jebni said, feeling immense distaste for the plea. He wasn't proud, but this god here...something just didn't feel right about him, like the screws in his head were drilled in reverse. He didn't feel pain, he felt pleasure. What should have had him miserable made his estatic, everything about him just seemed to be...opposite.

"We are allies after all. As promised, I will help you. I love to break things, but promises? Never." It spoke, smiling broadly.

The Gnomes behind Jebni let out a collective sigh, the elderly adventurer grunting. "Good to hear. Now, we've got a regiment ready to mobilize, but we need resources. Manpower, at the least, but most of all we need a strong core of soldiers. So...we were hoping for you to work with us in the more magical aspect. I'm no cleric, so I'll let Father Wayman take care of it from here."

With that, Jebni stepped back, the apparent leader of the Gnome clergy stepping forward. He wore an obscenely large and very tall hat, his robe laced with the shiniest gemstones. The priest gave a curt bow, the others behind him doing the same.

The Defiled One stared intently at the robe. "Of course." He spoke, shooting a smile at the clergy. "Allow me to summon my most able servants."

Jebni looked to the Gnomes behind him, shaking his head. They got the message quite quickly, and shook their heads in unison. "No, we're fine." Jebni said for them, full well knowing just what price it would be to have something "fixed" by the god before him.

"Are you certain? I can provide anything, your most debauched fantasy could be reality, even ones involving goats, carrots and two small toothbrushes." He spoke, smiling at one of the gnomes in particular.

"But I'm going off topic, aren't I?'

"A leedle." Jebni said, the other Gnome clerics looking at one of their number with wide eyes and more than a few sniggers. Wayman pinched the bridge of his nose,

"Could we please get to work? There's several Gnomes that are probably being boiled alive by some savages right now."

"Very well. Magnus, Plagnus, Raptus, we're going to get going."

The three warriors fell to their knees, holding hands and starting a soft chant. "This'll make sure everything goes okay"

Jebni nodded, stepping back as the Gnomish clerics moved forward. They formed a seven-sided shape with their bodies, an impossible figure that could only be produced by those of magical skill.

"We must focus on three things: An army of skilled soldiers, tools of war, and the leaders required to command them." Wayman declared, the pamphlets being read carefully as the priests began an energy-channeling chant.

Up above, a path was opened for a large amount of divine power, a channel which- to the god Bel-Shannon- provided it an expedient method of helping its followers. Thus a storm began around the temple of the Defiled One, the divine energy radiating as it sailed through the air. Ekari found themselves empowered to great heights, the servants of the Defiled One seething with power.

Within the City of Cogs, a similar storm began. The air was filled with the crash of thunder, the mustering regiment of Gnomes perking up as the divine energy filled the parade ground. Engineers halted in their haphazard construction efforts, the piles of lumber and bars of metal suddenly being consumed with a new frenzy of ideas and inventions. Gnomish infantry set to work training as they felt a new level of vigor and strength. What was once standard infantry soon became skilled soldiers, honed to a fine edge of skill.

The transports and war machines were also being built quite rapidly, inventions spilling forth from the engineers as this idea and that idea were put into reality. Magic flowed throughout the city, the Chi Artists- led by a successfully returning Daldar- beginning grand constructions of flesh and organic matter. Soon it would all head towards the rescue of Boddypen and the others, the small army eager to get into action.

As the need for rescue was heard, the Gnomes and Ekari began a population boom. Their societies increased in number, birth rates skyrocketing. Everything kicked into high gear, new cities being forged in the flames of escalation.

In the City of Pleasures, similar things occurred. Ekari soldiers became mighty warriors, a new delight- previously unknown- coming to them: The delight of war. The pleasure-seeking soldiers found Gnomish weapons abundant, the scientists already residing there combining the resources of the Defiled One to a new purpose: That of war. Deadly plague bombs, bio-weapons, an entire assortment of inventions that were geared towards conflict.

Before the Gnomes did not focus on war. Now they drove towards it with their allies at their side, a deadly spear of intelligence and delight aimed towards the Leponites.

Spoiler
    Show
    We got a big Ceremony expended. 16 Minor Acts (10 from Bel-Shannon, 6 from Defiled One) and 1 Major (Bel-Shannon):
    9 Minor Acts to create 108 lvl12 soldiers for the joint effort
    1 Major Act to upgrade Daldar to Exarch status
    1 Minor Act to establish chemical weapons distilled from the Defiled One's plagues.
    1 Minor Act to make a new Gnomish city, the City of Spears
    1 Minor Act to create a new Ekari city
    1 Minor Act to create a Gnomish population boom.
    1 Minor Act to create a Ekari population boom.
    2 Minor Acts to create bio-weapons from the Defiled One's resources
    2 Ceremonies. 1 from Bel-Shannon, 1 from Defiled One to combine Minor Acts
    Last edited by Darth_Malevo; 2008-12-14 at 02:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Middle City

The khan raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe...what would you want from us? I don't see how a civilization as advanced as yours could benefit from a trade agreement with us, lowly salamanders!"

This time, the royal guards laughed as well.

-------------------------------------

Oghi

Oghi travelled to Leodin's location.

"Hey rabbit. How are ya? I heard two other gods have decided to act against you and your Leponites. The Eraki are strange. They seek nothing but sensual pleasures. And the gnomes...care about nothing but their stupid inventions. Do you need any help?"

14. - Top - End - #284

Poor Gnomes and Ekari, marching off to their doom

The parrot had been flying overhead, observing the troop movements. He flew back to Vadim and vocalized his sightings.

"Troop Movements in bordering lands....awrk!....war engines being made...Awrk...Bomba captured some tiny creatures from said lands...Probably retaliatory strike....Suspected intent of conquest....Awrk...Cracker?"

The supreme commander gave the chittering bird a cracker and it flew off.

Ensign, alert the armed forces that we might need to drive off an invasion force. A big one.

He stood up.

We will bury them no matter how many men they have. This is our homeland and we will not let some filthy warmongering aliens take it from us, no matter how they have prepared!

The word spread across the entire leponite lands. Soldiers mobilizes, war beasts were tamed and production was geared towards supporting the war effort. For every pound of goods the gnomes/ekari were able to supply, the leponites were able to make 100. For evey soldier the invaders had, the leponites were able to bring together 20 eager recruits. The whole nation, the largest on the explored world, was caught up in nationalistic fervor.

Sturdy war engines were constructed. Thousands of suits of armor and weapons were forged within days. The great cities themselves were altered to drive back an invasion, should the border conflict fail. Walls of stone and metal crafted to withstand the most powerful siege devices were constructed. Underground catacombs gave birth to a complex network of interconnected tunnels, linking the cities together.

Even the priests of Leodin and Bomba's men had been caught up in the rush. They were preparing to support their men however they could. Bomba, who had a considerable private army sent word that he would be willing to help crush these deluded fools who thought they could actually succeed.

Leodin himself was empowered by the fervor and prayers of his people. He drew his sword and held it aloft. Noone would harm his children if he had anything to say about it. These were his lands and his people. The gaggle that the gnomes and Ekari called an army would be crushed beneath his people's feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor acts!
    1: bump up militarism and knack for combat and warfare two times. They will not stop untill you are dead. You picked the wrong fuzzballs to mess with.
    2: Increase production. They can chug out more junk in a month than the gnomes can in a few years.
    3: Increase ability to make things well. You may have technology, but that technology, as fantastic as it is, won't be as effective against extremely well built armor and weaponry.

Oh, and Leodin uses 3 majors to beef his DvR up to 12. Expect slight showers of divine intervention.

---------------------
    Back to Bomba

The leponite had been recieving and writing letters, ignoring the gnomes for the most part. He sat up and looked at Boddypen and grinned.

Do you know what you have done, you little whelp? You doomed thousands of your kinsmen to death. No matter how you prepare, your little band of pretenders that your people are sending as an invasion force will be crushed, quickly and soundly.

And as for your friend, you are in no positions to be making demands, whereas I am in my full power to excecute you right now. You think your civilization is great? Ours is better in every way. You were expecting savages that a band of thirteen could conquer with your little toys?

A guard brought in the repeating crossbow, apparently salvaged from the wreckage of the craft. Bomba picked it up and easily snapped it in two.

Only toys. You are playing with grown men, now...Boddypen was it? Toys are for children and your people are sending naught but an army of children to their doom.

But it would be rude of me not to show you what you came here to seek. You have thirty seconds to improve my mood, or little Spackywink or whatever is going to learn first hand about the digestive tract of a terror beast.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-12-15 at 06:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Uso

Uso took a break from teaching the Atarns to reply to Oghi. "Ah yes, Oghi. Thank you again for your help. As for your proposition, I will admit that I am curious. Perhaps we could discuss it in detail sometime soon. Until then, I'm afraid I must continue to help my people rebuild."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oghi to Uso

"Oh, right. I'd love to help but rebuilding is not really my thing. Good luck to you. We'll talk later!"
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2008-12-14 at 06:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

Shouheki

The Ocean's Heart

Though Shouheki spent years in hiding, ashamed of the lives it had ended, the lives of its children continued, as well as their deaths. The religious fervour to seek enlightenment that had gripped the hearts of both races continued, and a great leader appeared before them - it was a kitsune, who had managed to do something strange; he had grown a second tail. Accompanying this strange growth was a newfound understanding of the power and majesty of Shouheki, and the path to enlightenment was laid bare before him. Whether or not this revelation was due to, or the cause of, the new tail was of little importance, as the number of tails he had quickly grew until, upon attaining his ninth, the kitsune exploded in a burst of Spiritual Energy. For a moment, a shadow of the former fox lingered, before being replaced with a new and far greater being.

It was angelic, while also utterly wrong. Everything about it screamed that it did not belong in this world, and those that saw it were reminded of the manifestations of Arashi, Chisei, Hokori, and Jiwari. The difference was that those spirits always seemed purposeful in their appearence, as though they had chosen it for their earthly visit. This new one seemed... angry, as though its mere presence enraged it. It disappeared in an agonising burst of white fire, but those who had begun to attune themselves to the Spirit Realm could see that it had not retreated there.

They searched the Mortal Realm for it, sensing its great power, but before their inner eyes had even turned beyond their isolated island, a young kit ran up from the temple's tiny infirmary. One of those who had been struck by the plague that had followed the Storm had just died, but instead of passing peacefully had exploded in a burst of energy. In the place of the old fox had sat a many-headed toad, each head chirping like a swarm of cicadas. But instead of eyes, each face merely had two grasping hands. The strange beast fell upon the sick kitsune, and did not stop until the priests, channelling spirits of healing through their being, created a conduit for the spirits of flame to come through, driving it away.

Soon, news of similar incidents reached the temple, with rumours of the spirits, for that is what the priests had long-since realised that the beasts were, massing to attack the small towns circulating. The kitsune priests met with the kappa elders, and together they decided that the only option was to creata havens for the peoples, places to wait out the implacable beings' rage, until Shouheki answered their prayers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, a whole new turn!

Pool
    Major Acts: 3

Minor Acts: 5

Ceremonies: 3

Used
    Major Acts: 2 - Creating a new form of magic - Spirit Channelling

Minor Acts: 1 - Creating Yomiji, Who Bars The Way, the spirit who's causing all this mayhem
    2 - Creating a safe haven for the kitsune and kappa ( a city each, basically, but more fortress-like)

Ceremonies: 0

Pool
    Major Acts: 1

Minor Acts: 2

Ceremonies: 3
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Amon
    Amon decides the time is right to cultivate the world with more of his people. Little is done about the Greedy situation for now in the gnomish cities.... Amon began placing his mark... The realm of the Moon. (10 Minor Acts to spread middle sized cities throughout the world.) Furthermore, the situation with Greedy, Amon thought, could use some help... (1 Minor Act to spread the 12 characters who would be subservients to Greedy.)

19. - Top - End - #289

Leponites and Dragonians

Dragons? Hoho, that's fantastic! Huge, intelligent, strong, capable of flight and they breathe fire? Woohoohoo! Seems too good to be true!

When the leponite merchant was talking to the dragonians, he was absolutely beside himself with glee.

That settles it, then. We can have goods ready to trade in a week, if things go well. By th' way, have you ever heard of Gnomes? I've never heard ofthem untill a few weeks ago. Apparently, they came here to conquer and enslave the lot of us. We gave 'em a surprise, though. Everyone is all worked up. Their sending a big army, I heard. Our folks are ready to send em packing, though.

Jus' remember, they're a warmongering bunch. Can't ever trust em. All they want is land and property an' goods that others worked their whole lives for. If they ever send an emmisary, send em right back where they came from. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leponites agree to begin trade with dragonian empire

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Amon
    Chanting was heard throughout the land as Amon began an incantation on the Moon. It lasted for a few minutes.... and energy shined on the Moon. For a moment, the Moon was eclipsed, and then a lightning bolt streamlined towards the Earth.... and a new energy was developed on the world.
    (2 Acts, Create a Magic School)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Ksharn and Oghi

Ksharn goes to visit Oghi

You know, I've been thinking. We've got this plane together, but I've noticed something. My people keep trying to contact their ancestors, and make deals with the spirits of the land. I was wondering if you had an Idea what to about that?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oghi and Ksharn

"Hey Ksharn.

What a coincidence! I was just thinking about a new magical tradition. I called it shamanism! I'm not sure if that's exactly what you are looking for, though. It wouldn't let them contact their ancestors, but it would allow them to channel super powerful elemental creatures! Isn't that cool? Perhaps you could ask the spirit god about that. I think he has created "spirit channeling" or something similar. Which doesn't mean that the Vor couldn't also practice my type of shamanism."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Oghi and Ksharn

There's a difference between the spirits of the land and elementals? I didn't realize that. My people are trying to draw upon the strength of Earth, speed of the Wind...things like that.

24. - Top - End - #294

City of Vadim

You mean we aren't going to mobilize the whole military?

The supreme commander stretched back in his chair, looking at the female.

That is correct, Major. We have to much internal development planned for us to support a full standing army. It would put public works back years.

There was a knock on the door.

Come in...

Captain Dellis quielty entered the room
    The other leponite continued.

We have twenty full leigons that can be activated to crush the invaders. Why not destroy them now?

Do you know how much effort and money it will take to send supplies back and forth to twenty leigons? No, our resources would be stretched thin and internal growth would be rendered stagnant. Besides, all we need are a couple and with careful application of special forces and a little grace from the protector, we should pull out ahead. We keep the others on standby in case things go down hill. Until then, we just send the two.

But...

No "But's", Medna. The high priestess and I discussed this earlier. We have deemed it for the best. Besides, the adantage is still ours, if things go as predicted. Besides, with that intelligence you got from Bomba, we should be completely prepared when they come. Preparations are already in progress.

Ah..Dellis. It seems Bomba himself sent a rather biting letter about you. He said you went and gave secrets of the state to aliens and were plotting against the state.

Sir?

You could be tried for treason and excecuted...but you acted on your own and gave that jerk, Bomba an awful surprise. We need fast thinkers in the field, Dellis, not in some backwards border town.

Here are your orders, Special Forces Commander Dellis. I expect you to do what's best for our nation.

Medna stood up indignantly.

You're promoting him over me?

Yes, and you will give him your full cooperation. Dellis, you are dismissed.

Yes sir! Thank you sir!

As dellis left the room, the supreme commander stared at the other leponite.

...You saw the cause of all this, correct?

Should've killed him right there.

No...that would only have made the whole situation all the more awkward.
    -------------------------------

The eager leponites groaned as they were told that they would be kept in the reserves. However, the priests were able to talk reason into them. They had jobs that they needed to continue doing. Supplies were essential to an army and said supplies did not produce themselves.

They went back to their families and jobs, but were fially convinced that they were doing more for their army than serving as a half-starved body against the gnomish army.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-12-15 at 06:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Uso

Uso smiled as he watched the Atarns go about their lives. Already a small fleet of ships was plying the waters around the river mouth, with more being built. Their homes were only made of wood, mud, and stone, but they would do well. Food was plentiful and the people happy.

Pleased with himself, Uso sent a message to Oghi. "I'm ready to talk when you are my friend. I want to hear more about this 'shamanism' you spoke of."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oghi, Ksharn and Uso

"Uso, you may join us if you wish. Ksharn and I were just talking about it."

When the sea god arrived, Oghi spoke.

"Ksharn, you asked about a type of magic that would let the Vor draw upon the strength of Earth, the speed of the Wind and such things. That's exactly what I had in mind. The shamans are people who are able to get in touch with their emotions and who have a deep understanding of the elemental forces at work in the world. They do not control the elements, as much as they call them. I know that my elementals will reward those who treat them with respect and seek to emulate their traits, but punish those who seek to dominate them.

I also suggest that we combine our power to create a site sacred to the shamans that is hard to reach by everyone else."

Spoiler
    Show
    I am ready to spend a ceremony to create Shamanism.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Raz
    Spoiler
    Show
    What will the effect of using three ceremonies on a type of magic be?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Dragons can be nice, too

The great dragon roared; "I'm tired now. Off you go. Come back later if you want to trade, and look for one of my brothers." - With that, the dragon puts the gnomes on the ground again, and takes flight.

-------
    Dragonians and Leponites

The dragonian ambassadors led by Nazz'Rius were overjoyed. Things went well with the Leponite Empire, and they were bringing back the promise of a long-lasting friendship and trade to their homes. But they also brought disturbing news, of a warmongering race that started to move for war. But decisions like war or peace weren't for Nazz'Rius to make, so he contended on returning home to his family.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

29. - Top - End - #299

Merchant Guild, Vadim

Bomba had sent a messenger earlier to complain to the merchants. He was sore that a lousy border captain was able to circumvent his power over the lands.

Lord Bomba protests against this course of action! How can we trust these "Dragonians"? We are tricked into letting them inside our capital by some officer who grossly overstepped his bounds and now they are protected under Law? We demand to know why trade agreements were signed without our approval?

The merchant lord looked at the ambassador over the table, fiddling with a set of weights and a scale. He grinned broadly.

Oh come on, now. You know as well as I that you and the rest of Bomba's goons have no legal footing in state affairs and it was entirely within protocoll to forget to send you an invitation. The vote was unanimous. The Supreme Commander, the High Priestess and myself all decided what was to be done, and that was that.

Bomba's emmisary glowered over the table.

You think you can get away with this, huh? We own the ...

The short, grinning rabbit man cut him off.

Everyone knows where the real power lies. Now, have a good day, and please do some research before hand so you at least have an argument for your case. Good-bye.

With that, he pulled a lever next to his desk. A trapdoor opened underneath the emissary and he rocketed down a slide and came out, soaked and covered in mud, in the Merchant Guild's outdoor fish pond.

30. - Top - End - #300

Shouheki

The Ocean's Heart - Yousai Fortress

Liutenant Toroda's ears twitched. He always got jumpy this time of night, when most of the kitsune guarding their stronghold started to either nod off or wake up. Neither was the best state of mind to be in for a kami attack. So far, there hadn't been any of the massed assaults that everyone had feared when Yomiji had first arisen, as the spirits didn't seem to have any drive to work together. Those few priests who were confident enough with their channelling had scouted out the Souchi Plains, where the angry spirits had first been seen grouping together, and had reported that they were intermittantly warring amongst each other and sending out strike forces. Of course, most of the priests who went out didn't come back, so reports had dried up as the suicidal volunteers were weeded out. Not that there were many to choose from, Toroda mused - most channelling kitsune had their hands full trying to protect towns and farms, put on a show to stop the peoples from despairing.

The outlook was bleak - the spirits were more powerful than most of the guardians of this fortress when on their own, so a massed attack would spell disaster in giant, flaming letters scrawled across the heavens. Their numbers could only increase, as taking down even a spirit of the pattern of shade grass makes against pebbles would normally cost at least a kitsune its life, and more often than not more than one. With each death, a new spirit would rise, angry and bloodthirsty. Worse than that, most of the Lieutenant's soldiers were unwilling to do anything more than drive off the spirits, as they could sometimes recognise the form of a loved one lost to the raging kami. Sometimes he wondered if there would ever come a time when his people could just live in peace again.

The warning bell rang once, twice, and stopped. Running through the signals quickly in his head, Toroda rushed to help repel the "small incursion - five to seven lesser, or three to five greater, kami". The walls of the fortress, towering above the surrounding farmland, were glowing in the moonlight. Some had worried a few days ago, hearing arcane chants on the wind and seeing strange lunar interference, fearing it was an omen of a larger attack. Thankfully, the many refugees sheltering in the keep had kept their heads, as Shouheki knows that chaos on your doorstep was better than chaos on the hearth. Already, several of the best Retainers posted had arrived, as well as two young priests that Toroda didn't recogise. They must be new acolytes from the temple.

Turning their eyes out across the bightly-lit expanse beneath the walls, it was the shorter of the two priests, a girl with odd tattoos covering her ears, who saw the spirits first. "Over there!" she cried, pointing to where the Nagare river bent around a large lump of granite. There were six of them, which implied that they were deemed 'lesser' spirits, though Toroda wondered how anyone could make a distinction between the destructive forces, let alone from this sort of distance.

One of the retainers nocked an arrow to his longbow, taking aim at the spirit that seemed to be the largest - a tangled mass of interwoven strands of magma and hardened stone with a mirror shining in its centre. After drawing in a deep, steadying breath, he released the arrow. It flew true, striking the spirit just above the mirror. A blood-curdling shriek, like somebody cutting the legs off a swallow the size of a house, echoed around the plain, waking all of the slumbering refugees and no doubt causing enough panic to make the clean up harder than the actual battle. In an instant, the spirits crossed the distance between them and the wall, and began to pound upon it. One, which seemed to be composed of twisted ice, tried to climb the wall but was blasted into oblivion by the taller priest's channelling, while a dog covered in skulls that laughed in every way imaginable was banished by a prayer muttered by the girl.

The others proved slighly harder to deal with. The mirror on the lava-rock beast seemed to deflect most of the magical assaults of the priests, and only went down after a halberd was thrust through the mirror. A paper kite edged with razors seemed simple enough to dispatch with a swing of Toroda's sword, until the two halves refolded themselves into separate smaller kites. They vanished in an explosion of smoke when the taller priest channelled a spirit of fire through his hands and struck, but that left him open to attack from a spider the size of a horse with far too many legs. Thankfully, the Retainers could handle its plated hide fast enough to prevent the loss of a decent channeller. Finally, a bloodshot eye that was surrounded by a shimmering mist filled with nightmares was detained with a neat arrow into its pupil.

Altogether, it was a successful defence, but Lieutenant Toroda knew better than to celebrate their 'victory'. Turning away without even a word to his compatriots, the kitsune retreated to one of the guard towers, where he could slump into a corner and try to sleep without crying.

He was one of the soldiers who didn't want to kill.
    Last edited by llamamushroom; 2008-12-17 at 05:41 PM.
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika