New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Tale of Dieties - IC

Shouheki

Shouheki looked quizically down at the small, furry god. Shaking its shell in confusion, and raining needles down on the ground, it asked,

"Your purpose is to give purpose? That is... interesting. I thank you, Safeguard of the Leponites, for your insight, and I apologise for my intrusion."

Shifting backwards, Shouheki begins to open the way through the Spirit Realm. Perhaps there are other gods who know their purposes? But what if there aren't? Again, the alien thought rings through the Spirit Turtle's mind, gaining strength and volume. The other deities will know their purposes, and I shall find mine.

Shouheki begins to cast around for another deity in harmony. It takes longer to find, as the trace is weak, supressed, but still detectable. The Spirit Turtle finds itself drawn to a place near a settlement of more small creatures, these far less covered in fur, and surrounded by the spirits of happiness, prosperity and hospitality. Only a deity with a true knowledge of its purpose could create such creatures...

Spoiler
    Show
    For now, I'm still in the Leponite lands. I'll move out soon enough.
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

(Gard never sent him back to "subvert" the colony.)

Gard

Gard saw how Greed acted and was not amused. Greed was a failure, but still he hand Envy still around and fulfilling his goal. Soon, he would have another family of Greed and then he wouldn't pick somebody who was completely inept. How difficult was it to not get banished from a colony?

Gard then went to Sloth, to Sloth who had a great gift. Ten slaves, ten large imps to do the work that Sloth should do and to do even more. These imps were also immune to death throes. Hopefully, Sloth wouldn't mess up this gift.

1 minor: Create imps.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Chaim
    Chaim wanders for some short time now that his teaching is through. He has no idea what to do, his old foe had not reared his ugly head of late. Doubtless he would, but now was not the time. Chaim traveled from town to town as a miracle worker, taking on the form of the local species, eventually coming to a Dragonai village. There, he consummates a relationship and continues on, giving the action very little thought. Of course, as many mortals discover (much to their dismay), he probably should have.

Chaim's son is born in a clutch without a clutch. Its the only egg produced by his mother, a singular event in Dragonai society. The egg grows and hatches a marble white scaled hatchling, the hatchling is given the name Hakuc. Hakuc is grows into youth in time, a bright and powerful gift for the healing magics rests in him and a wanderlust, an urge to see all there is to see. His might and wanderlust eventually set him off on a quest, called by he does not know what to he knows not where.

(1 Major Act to create an Exarch.)
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

Gard went to Hakuc, deciding to take the form of a Dragonai, he was prepared for this. This great creature would soon fall into the six traps. How could it not become a creature of pride, and after pride the other five flow in easily.

Gard went up to Hakuc. "How are you?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

The Vor

The Vor were quick studies and enjoyed the lessons. While they would never be as good a cook as the Halflings, the art of cooking caught on...almost a national pastime. The Vor and the Halflings parted company in peace.

It may have surprised the Halflings, but something important was about to happen. The Vor went home, and talked about them. A decision was quickly reached.

The next time the Halflings arrived at the original meeting spot, a group of Vor was already there and waiting for them.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hakuc
    The marble-white Dragonai, who has just finished healing a sick Dragonai child, looks at the Dragonai, "I am well, is there something I can help you with?" Hakuc inquires with a look of concern on his face. Hakuc's divine energy is a well-spring of Chai, an origin point of Chai as his father is.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

"My son is in a terrible state. We fear he might die, but still everyone I have gone too has been unable to cure him. You are the greatest of all the healers. You are far above normal men. I was wondering, would you heal him for me?" Said Gard.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hakuc
    "Probably. Where is he? How long has he been sick?" Hakuc replies, focus and determination emanating from him in an echo-like effect that would have grabbed hold of any mortal in mere instants. Its probably not on purpose. Probably.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

"He's two streets from here. He's been sick for two weeks. Please, you must help him, his life is in your hands." Said Gard acting as best he could. "Please, nobody is half as good as good at healing as you. Not even the god's themselves can match up to your skill."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hakuc
    "The gods sit on their thrones, mighty and unacting as the mountains. I will do something." he says, contempt lacing his voice, "Take me to your son."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

"Oh, thank you. Oh thank you. I will. I will. Oh, you are certainly the greatest being. If their was any doubt that you are better than the doubt is gone now." Said Gard, rushing out. "Please follow me."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hakuc
    Hakuc follows quickly, awkward at the man's praises. They make him vaguely uncomfortable but he wouldn't wish to upset the man, so he keeps his mouth shut.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

Canvia

I woke up some time later with a plan fully formed in my head. First though I was going to need a little something.

Dismissing my dream chair and cocktail I flew to the centre of the continent, the blue sea looked like the perfect place. Now for the hard part...

Earlier I had been suprised by the power that flowed through me. This time though I concentrated on it, bringing it forward, and deliberately opening myself up to it. The power became visible to the mortal eye, wild dashes of colour, trills of music, a dozen different smells, all there one instant and gone the next. (Sometimes my own brilliance astounds me, it really does). I had never done this before but somehow it seemed easy. Pulling my wings down from in front of my eyes I gazed at the centre of the sea. The water began to bubble. I then let the power I had called flow down my gaze, the dream of what I wanted twisted into a power that convinced even me, let alone the land, that it was real. I blinked and before me was a pillar of white marble rising from the centre of the lake, towering at least a kilometre over it. At the top was a garden filled with trees and a pleasant little palace of gold and pink marble. Perfect.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 minor act to change the landscape (create the pillar), I major act to make the pillar an artifact - full details in the status under the 'Pillar of Majesty'. Building created with little powers.
    Last edited by Chappers; 2008-12-02 at 12:07 PM.
    "...also, I can kill you with my brain..."

"Be Afraid"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

Gard hurries quickly, and then he turns a corner and vanishes.

Gard appeared in front of his Greed and spoke. "Give me your gift."
    Last edited by Emperor Demonking; 2008-12-02 at 11:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Hakuc
    Hakuc tries to follow the man around the corner before he feels a disappearance of the man's life force. He's deeply confused. Had the man lied? Had the man been expecting him to follow? Unable to find the child, he goes back to his business, disturbed.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

AMon
    Meanwhile, in a halfling village, a devilishly handsome man was seen luring a few women from the settlement. They would return to the halfling settlements with bitemarks on their necks. Otherwise they would be fine. Was this man a strange person who enjoyed having women attacked by animals?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gard

Gluttony, a rabbit creature, came upon a bowl with a note attached. The note said. "Hello. I am Gard, your lord. Say good bye to your need to work. This artifact creates food, tasty food at that. Use this to fulfil your destiny and my goals."

1 minor - Create bowl of food.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Pyre Islands

As the halflings landed on the shore of Oghi's Archipelago, they were spotted by a band of salamanders wielding spears and stone knives. The warlike tribe (Skullbash Clan) chased the halflings into the jungle. Those salamanders were expert hunters and warriors. Some of them wondered how the little men tasted. Most simply enjoyed the chase as part of a game. The halflings ran as fast as their little legs permitted. They ran so far that they eventually reached the territory of another tribe, who quickly dealt with the belligerents. The "friendly" salamanders of the Feathered tribe (so called because they adorned their clothes and headbands with large, colorful bird feathers) studied the funny humanoids for a while before inviting them to stay in their village where a great feast was to be held. They assured the halflings that they had no intentions to eat them. The salamanders feasted and danced all night long. The food, which consisted in berries, oranges, coconuts, snake, monkey and boar meat, was truly delicious. The halfings also discovered that the Feathered tribe brewed an especially strong alcohol beverage.

---------------------

Oghi

Oghi continued to shape the land of the salamanders, even to this day. This time, he went to the rainforest. Using a bit of his power, he transformed a large forested area. This part of the jungle was now bursting with life. The plants grew exceptionally fast and the animals living were especially vigorous. Paradise on Earth, right? Not exactly. Life in the jungle is extremely violent. It is home to numerous predators created by the Fire Lord as well as man-eating plants and deadly, strangling vines. One of those predators is the Roc, a species of large and ferocious birds of prey. The region is hilly, full of fissures and crevices. It is simply known as the Lush Forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor act to shape the Lush Forest
    Minor act to create big cats of the dire variety (so our regular pumas, leopards and jaguars are dire versions of the animals)
    Minor act to create Rocs, a family of giant birds of prey
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2008-12-02 at 07:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground

Greed

Gordo Goldfinger shook his head defiantly. He didn't want to give up the last of his jewels, and he would not give it up, not even to the god of greed. "This, is mine. You gave me the jewels to get back into the camp, and now they are mine. Surely you have more."

---

Gluttony

Gluttony didn't exactly last long, not when the halflings' integration depended on their talent. Within the day, the creature and the bowl both disappeared, before any Leponites could discover it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Halflings capture Gluttony and Bowl.

---

On the Archipelago

'Thank you.' was all the Halflings could say. The feast, on the other hand, was another matter entirely, and the Halflings took part whole-heartedly, enjoying the festival.

Predictably, a number of them woke up the next morning with no recollection of the events, half naked in bed next to other Halflings or, in a few more unpleasant cases, Salamanders.

The next morning, the camp healer, Fosco Chubb-Baggins, who had managed to avoid drinking a drop all night (leading to his nickname, 'Dr No'), approached the chief of the Feathered Clan.

"On the behalf of my camp, I thank you for your hospitality. We wish to return the favour - my people are excellent chefs, and we would be honoured if you would allow us to prepare the next feast."

At least, that was the idea. The actual message was communicated with a combination of gesturing, simple words, and a remarkable acrobatic display involving five halfings, a unicycle, and half a potato.

---

The Vor

Emilio was surprised at the Vor waiting for them - as was most of his camp. By now, language was not much of a barrier. Time had allowed learning of their language by the Vor (though the Vor's language was still a work in progress).

"Hello again, friends. What can we do for you?"

---

Amon

The creature that had been luring away women was a disturbing thought, indeed. The healers set to work examining those affected, but they didn't seem to have anything wrong, yet.

The Halflings could only wait and see.

---

Gnomes

Bodo Bouvar, head of the sixth halfling camp, followed the sounds of debate with some measure of curiousity. He arrived to find a group of strange, mutated creatures debating... something.

"Hello?" he ventured.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-02 at 08:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

The Vor

Your people gave us a fine gift when last we met. So we thought we would return the favor.

*They reach into a bag and bring out a kit filled with needles, and a box filled with ink.*

We wish to give you the right of safe passage in our lands.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Pyre Islands

The chief of the salamanders listened closely to the so-called Dr No.

"Excellent chefs, you say? How wonderful! Who would have thought that, of all the creatures that walk the earth, we would receive the visit of the best chefs the world has to offer? We gladly accept your offer, little one! Wait - did you hear that?"

Indeed, a small explosion shook the village at that moment.

"Another brawl. I hope no halfling was involved."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2008-12-03 at 08:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bel-Shannon

The original purpose of the stealth forgotten, Boddypen was the first to answer for his brethren. The entire group had been in debate, the subject of sticks, string, and rocks evolving into larger-scale subjects like "Why are we here?" and "Where's the grub?". Generally, nobody said anything about Bel-Shannon in a debate besides the odd 'Praise to it' seeing as anybody who didn't quite jive with the religion ended up an amorphous blob of mutations after the first week or so.

"Ah! A Gnome...but...you don't speak Gnomese, or Gnomish, or Gnomen. Why?" He asked, subconsciously inquiring and realizing it a bit too late. He also felt the odd urge to go back to the Shelter and have kids, but that could at least wait until after the rough sketch of Folwinkle's "Weights" system was invented. A standard unit of weight, who could have conceived such a notion besides a Gnome?

"And the wagons!" Roontwiss added, equally proficient in the language. Funny thing, mutations: You never know just what sort of surprise you're going to find in the pulsing, organic box called a womb.

"They have wagons, inferior ones, mind, but wagons! They must be Gnomes! Or just...you know...civilized." He remarked quietly, twiddling his three thumbs.

"And they're all the same! What a litter of identical twinsthat had to be!" Garrick said in a manner that might be considered a tad lewd. Another funny thing about evolution and mutation: It tends to latch onto life and not let go.

23. - Top - End - #113

Spoiler
    Show
    Excuse me. I'll handle Gluttony, thank you. He is my sub-plot. I had something thought out for him and everything. Now I have to slap some halflings around.

Gluttony

The halfling kidnappers were waylayed, due to the tightly knit community ties of the furry people. The quickly arranged search party had seemingly appeared straight from the ground and gave the halflings a "stern talking to." This involved several kicks in the ribs and booting them out of the township to find work elsewhere.

The gluttonous Rabbit-folk, a short creature named Bomba, eventually came to use the bowl in secret. Somehow living far longer than he should have, he became the owner of a large estate. However, Gluttony led to sloth and greed. He took the food of others and bartered it for a small private band of goons. Such a thing was before unheard of, and news traveled fast across the vast Leponite Empire.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-12-02 at 11:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Shouheki

Having found the deity of the nomadic creatures, Shouheki Spirit Walked through to him. The journey, taking it through landscapes imagined and unimaginable, was short, but long enough for the subversive thought to resurface. What kind of purpose was that? Obviously it didn't know, or it was deliberately keeping it from you. The voice took on a different tone. That pitiful immortal doesn't deserve to be ranked amongst the lowliest spirit of smoke! It should be des- No! Shouheki had no idea where these thoughts originated, but the sense that other creatures shared the god's mind with it was overpowering.

When the Spirit Turtle eventually reached the halfling township, disoriented and confused, the only thing that its majestic mind could think of doing was lying down and crying. It laid its shell down onto the ground, tree-like legs splayed around, raised its head up to the uncaring heavens and releasing all of the worry and concern, the fear, in one, long, choking ululation.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

Gluttony

Lippe Underhill rubbed his ribs, after the Leponites threw him out. They would live to regret this.

Of course his fellows stood against him with the Leponites when Bomba's cries awoke the town - that was a mistake for sure. He should have just killed Bomba while he'd had the chance, and taken the bowl.

He would not make the mistake again. He turned, and left the town, heading overland to another town far off in the distance, to restart and rebuild. The Leponites had an alarmingly supermortal way of organising together and simply blocking actions without effort.

Planning was due, and the Halflings had to employ their almost ubiquitous nature to counteract this sort of thing in future. The bowl was lost to them, but at least the creature that had the bowl was now using it in secret, hiding it away from the others. He had succeeded a little, but not enough.

---

Fastolph Blowfield

Fastolph slowly walked over to the ailing Shouheki, and offered him a hand.

"Is something the matter?" he asked with a smile, helping the Spirit to his feet.

26. - Top - End - #116

Shouheki

"It is... nothing. I shall recover. I apologise if I frightened any of your mortal worshippers - it was not my intent," said the deity, lowering its head, trying to get it level with the much smaller, though no less powerful, god. It closed its eyes, picturing the calm serenity it had felt at creation, or after it had created the Ocean's Heart. Eventually, Shouheki opened them, and turned to Falstoph.

"I have come to find purpose. I have asked the Father of the Leponites what his purpose is, and now I have come to ask you - what is your purpose?"
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Fastolph Blowfield

"Oh, it's no worry. Come, take a seat." Fastolph conjured into existence some sort of seating-related object. Whatever it was, it was comfortable.

"As for what purpose do we exist? Well, I won't lie to you, that is a difficult question to answer. In truth, I do not believe that we have been made with one in mind. To the phoenix, we are nothing more than a garrison on this world, divine soldiers set down to hold the fort until the army returns."

Fastolph looked up at the sun, and shrugged.

"Everything else, is just practice. Of course, that all sounds like a load of hokey, coming from the god of hospitality, doesn't it? I think you're asking the wrong question. We all got a purpose at the beginning. After that, you just have to make your own. What do you think, Shouheki?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Canvia

This place is almost perfect, it was after all created by me, but it still lacks...something...what though? What does it need? The problem had been bugging me ever since I had created the tower, what was missing. It's beautiful, big, mine, what else could it possibly need?

Grrrr, I smacked one wing against the side of my head, nope. Still nothing. Maybe if I go for a stroll?

So that's what I did, I went for a stroll accross the continent and realised that the one thing missing from paradise, save myself at that moment of course, was noise. The creatures that the little gods had crafted were always making an irritating racket and yet...it could be beautiful.

When I got back to the Tower I pulled out my deckchair and cocktail (this time bright green and with a vicious kick). Downing the drink and closing my eyes it was not long before I started to dream.

Sounds surrounded me, trills, calls, voices without speach, the rustle of feathers. Harsh croaks accented lamenting cries and pure songs rose from animal throats. It was nice, real nice. I felt myself drifting away, my mind truly relaxing, my hands becoming numb. Something flowed through me. It felt delicious.

I jolted into consciousness to the harsh insistence of small little dreams pounding into my head. Blocking the thoughts out (but not as it turned out the pounding), I 'looked' around. The bright sun hurt the back of my eyes, my tongue felt like a carpet, and I seemed to be surrounded by hundreds of small and not so small things, all making a racket, all with wings, and all hungry. The smell was attrocious. I must confess that at this point I had a minor tantrum and opened myself fully to the...birds? Yep birds. They scattered.

A long time later I admired my handiwork, large birds with beautiful long necks, smaller brightly coloured birds, black birds, brown birds, something I could swear was an invisible bird. I've said it before and i'll say it again. Canvia you're good!

Spoiler
    Show
    Canvia has just created an entire seas population of birds. All are sea birds. There are fish to feed them. This was the result of wishful thinking and a green cocktail so feel free to create whatever non sentient birds you like in the inland sea that were created by Canvia. Two species are important, one are multicoloured - each of differing hues - swan like birds but about twice the size and the tiny all white wren like creatures that they eat along with the fish. Used 3 minors (Birds/More Birds/Small Fish).
    Last edited by Chappers; 2008-12-03 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typos
    "...also, I can kill you with my brain..."

"Be Afraid"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

The Vor

Over the years since the creation of their race, the Vor had been busy. While fighting to survive had taken most of their energy, something new had happened. Vor had been born who were not quite as strong or healthy as the others (although still stronger than most other races), but were much brighter. They had new ideas, some of which were good, and some of which were not. The good ideas flourished, and in time a city was born in the sand. The major river in the Desert ran through it, providing water to both the residents and the crops. Stone was brought in to build structures, although parts of the city were underground as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vor build their first city. 1 minor act.

30. - Top - End - #120

Leodin

The halflings had attacked one of his people? Of course, they had a reason to. That accursed bowl had been planted for such a purpose. However, the fact that greed had forced people living so harmoniously together to fight among themselves.

He wouldn't change the Leponite who had been cursed. It was to much. He had been touched by a god, and the only way to "fix" him would be to remove him. No. Even though he was tainted by greed and sloth as well, Leodin still loved this little furry butterball as one of his own children.

Bomba

Bomba had been forced to look over his situation after those blasted halflings had tried to carry him off. He was crafty, though, despite being "big boned" and rather silly looking in comparison to his more fit comrades.

He had been blessed with long life for some reason. Was it that bowl? Maybe. With this blessing from this "Gard" fellow, he could get up to all sorts of mischief.

The years passed. Bomba gained more influence, and had branches of his operations and dealings seep into other parts of the land. He offered services that would be considered "questionable" to others, for a price, of course.

But what was that? He felt something among the greed and gluttony. He felt pride. From pride, however, came a feeling of nationalism. He knew that his people had stood up for him. He would support his people as well. They could be made to pay up in time, but that didn't matter. He was a Leponite. He was brave, courageous and superior to any lousy, kidnapping halfling. He would show them.

He set himself up as Boss Bomba. An underground mafia of sorts formed. It was not entirely legal, but the other Leponites saw him as a helper in hard times and a symbol of the power of the people.

Bomba was a greedy, racist thug, but he was the people's thug.

Back to Leodin

His suggestions would suffice for now, but without a balancing factor, everything would fall to pieces. He had an individual born that would, in time, rise to became that balancing factor to "the Boss"

This child bore a birth defect. One of his eyes failed to form properly, but Leodin had plans for him, defect or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 minor acts to make a particularly special individual. His time will come, but it isn't now.