New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] - Legends.

Lu Xian

Accepting the wine with a nod and a smile, Lu Xian turns his back to the fire and looks around the room to see who responds, sipping slowly.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Shepard

Shepard tries to sip the wine, but wrinkles his nose and stifles a sneeze. Taking a swig instead from his bottle, the cough in his throat comes out as a deep grunt. "Me? I'm no adventurer," he says with a weary snort. "Never was. I'm just an old guard doing his job."

He takes another swig from his bottle.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"Oh, you surely jest? Ah, I get it, it's a joke! A beautiful woman, a priest, a Gnome, a Dwarf, a rogue, a warrior and a monk walks into an inn and say 'We're not adventurers!' That is indeed funny."
    Last edited by Xanos; 2008-12-14 at 10:01 PM.
    Hi. I'm Me.

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    - Truth be told, the players didn't reach the inn until about 10 minutes into the game.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ahuhi

Ahuhi puts his fork down

"Hey. Old man, he's right. Its been a long journey. Let us eat in peace? I'll tell you a story afterwards, how's that?"
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

He smiles at Ahuhi. "It better be a good one then!" pointing at Ahuhi, then lets out a short laugh. He gets up, and disappears into the kitchen.
    Hi. I'm Me.

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    - Truth be told, the players didn't reach the inn until about 10 minutes into the game.

6. - Top - End - #156

Ahuhi

Ahuhi goes back to eating, finishing off the meat and sliding the plate away muttering darkly

"Bloody old people..."
    My Current Works

7. - Top - End - #157

Lu Xian

Standing, Lu Xian sets his wine glass on the bar as he follows the innkeeper into the kitchen.

((Presumably, the rest of you lose sight of him.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Knocking gently against the door jamb to alert the innkeeper to his presence, Lu Xian steps into the kitchen and bows apologetically. When he speaks, it is too softly to be heard in the other room.

I do apologize for following you back here, but I wanted to be discreet when I asked about your...helpers.

Lu Xian smiles as he says this, to demonstrate that he is totally unalarmed.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Shepard

Shepard narrows his eyes thoughtfully at the barkeep, the man exiting just as quickly as he arrived. Hmmm...Maybe I should poke my head back there before heading up to bed and ask a few questions. A seasoned copper never got anywhere by trusting anybody, and he knew damn well what people were capable of, especially the congenial ones. A man could mumble his way through 30 years of happy marriage, then when the old woman insisted one too many times on repainting his favorite armchair neon yellow, it was suddenly a case of Murder By Dint Of Being Wound Up Too Long. In Shepard's book, barkeeps usually kept an ear to the floor and an eye on the door, and were usually only too happy to share their observations with anyone that had the right coin.

After noting Lu Xian's departure, Shepard finishes his meal, then corks his bottle, lights a cigar, and leans back, watching the others while he puffed thoughtfully, thinking about the barkeep's behavior. It was entirely possible that he was just a cynical old man who didn't have much patience for upstart newcomers trying to pull a fast one, but at the same time, there was something about that smile that was just a little too eager...

Sticking his bottle in his pocket, Shepard stands up and follows Lu Xian quietly.
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2008-12-15 at 12:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

As the food is delivered, Guillaume bows his head over the plate, murmuring a blessing on the meal.

The barkeep's inquiry draws a slight shrug from him.

"It might seem risky to ask a priest to tell stories in a bar. You're likely to get a sermon. But, if you insist, I'd be delighted to offer my thoughts on the importance of a calm mind in the cultivation of a happy life. After this fine meal, of course."

Guillaume grins, sips approvingly of his wine, and tucks into a fine meal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Because the barkeep is freakishly friendly, Guillaume will Sense Motive (1d20+6)[21] to get any strange vibes off of him or this place.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

The door is opened, and Lu Xian pokes his head out, says something to Shepard, Shepard answers, and Lu Xian goes into the other room again and closes the door. Shepard seems to be earsdropping on their conversation. After a few seconds, the door is opened, and Lu Xian enters your room.
    Hi. I'm Me.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Shepard

After a few moments, Shepard returns to the table. "Mr. Guillaume? Lady Greywater? Mr. Xian wants a word with you by the fireplace."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

"Of course."

Guillaume murmurs a final moment of prayer of thanksgiving for the meal, and sets down his fork. Picking up his cane, he rises and smiles at Lady Greywater. He hobbles over to warm himself by the fireplace.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #163

Lu Xian

Just a step behind Shepard, Lu Xian holds up his hand to stop Guillaume from rising.

My apologies, the plan has changed.

Clearing his throat to gather everyone's attention, Lu Xian looks around to make sure everyone is present.

I have given my word to the innkeeper that we will not cause him problems. Please do not make me regret telling you this.

There are a number of benign and harmless spirits here in this room and throughout the inn. They help the innkeep by performing chores and maintaining the building. I can see them as clearly as I see you now.

He pauses and looks from face to face to make sure that none of them are going to cause a scene.

The innkeeper assures me that the spirits appeared some time after the death of his wife during childbirth. He has had no success communicating with the spirits, all of whom appear...

Lu Xian stares hard at something that the others can't see.

...to be women with dark hair. Guillaume, Lady Greywater, I was wondering whether either of you might know something about these situations? The innkeeper appears to be very curious about this unusual circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Adar, who was thoroughly enjoying his wine and steak, carefully sets down his glass and leans back in his chair, trying futilely to follow Lu Xian's gaze. "Does this happen... often?" he asks, perhaps unsettled, but a long way from 'making a scene.'

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nirmaat Yantra

The gnome was about to enter the inn with the others, but decided that he'd like to have a look around the town. After taking about three minutes to get lost, and half an hour to find the original inn, Nirmaat decides that perhaps it's a good idea to show some solidarity to his newfound companions.

As he ducks into the stable, noticing that the horses and ponies of his campanions are already well settled-in, Mat realises that he has only the faintest idea of how to get the contraption off of his horse. He eventually decides that the best course of action is to lie Bella on her side and try to slip it off. Five rather interesting minutes later, Nirmaat slips in through the front door, metal sphinx resting on his shoulder, and sees that the rest of the assembled and conscripted are congregated near the fireplace.

Trying to insinuate himself into the gathering without causing too much of a fuss, Mat hears something about the place being haunted, and immediately considers running out to the stable, wrestling with the pulleys, and high-tailing his way out of there. Something about the foreign mystic's tone stays him, and he pipes in,

"Why can you see these ghosts?"
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Samantha, who rose and followed Lu Xian as requested, ponders the question for a short moment, biting gently on her lower lip.

"I cannot think of any instances of ghosts offering to help with the household chores, but there is a fairly common spell that creates invisible servants. Have any wizards been here recently, do you think? The spell could have been used as payment in lieu of coin."
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

The priest shifts his body to accommodate Nirmaat's introduction into the conversation. He tactfully glides past the question about the nature of Lu Xian's sensitivities.

"There are all manner of spirits, not all of whom are roused to anger by their situation. It would be relatively rare, but not impossible for such spirits to be content with their lot in life. It is an aspect of my faith that such spirits are better off resting in another place, but in a case like this, it might be most prudent to attempt to determine their wishes directly.

"If you don't think the Inn-keeper will mind, I will attempt to take a closer look at the spirits in the morning, to determine if they are suffering in some way. I may be able to help the innkeeper see the spirits more closely, and learn more about his helpers. I might have some way to banish them for a time, but doubt that I could lay them to rest on a permanent basis."

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't find any low-level cleric spell that permits conversations with incorporeal undead. Knowledge religion check (1d20+11)[17] to see if anything I just said was inaccurate or incomplete.

18. - Top - End - #168

Lu Xian

Holding up his hands to stay further questions, Lu Xian turns to the gnome first.

Although the name will mean nothing to you, I was the only student of Sun Po, a great master of the internal energies. To see all things was among my first lessons.

He turns.

Lady Greywater, I am unfamiliar with your 'magic'. Would these invisible servants manifest with a very obvious gender, appropriate clothing, and uniform hair colour?

And finally.

To the best of my knowledge, the spirits are quite content. While I am sure that the inkeeper will appreciate your efforts, I should tell you that he can see them as well as I can. He was perfectly aware of the situation long before I arrived.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Guillaume raises a hand to finger the pattern of the pendant at his throat.

"I see. Well, normally, I'd be dead set against this kind of abuse of the spirits - for all we know, they are forced into patterns of servitude here. But the current situation seems stable. I'd like to seek the wisdom of Z'ra on this before proceeding precipitously. Thank you, Lu Xian. I assure you that I will not proceed without consulting your wisdom and expertise further.

"Actually, perhaps a simple experiment to start...Are there currently any of these spirits in the room?"

Raising his hands in a delicate pattern, Guillaume murmurs a brief prayer to Z'ra and looks around the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting detect magic - to see if he can see any shapes moving around.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Shepard

Shepard stands in the corner, wary and tense. He smokes viciously as he becomes worried, tugging deeply on his cigar before exhaling a cloud from his nostrils with a sigh. "Here's a thought," he adds. "How about we pick another inn entirely? I'd rather not have....spirits...lurking around while we sleep. There's got to be more than one inn in the entire town. There's no reason to get involved in any of this. We'll just pay for the meal and take our business elsewhere. Problem solved."

21. - Top - End - #171

Ahuhi

Ahuhi raises a hand

"Question. How do we know its isolated to here. We've not been out into the town looking for the things. I don't know about the lot of you but sleeping in the wild sounds safer. We can -hit- wolves."
    My Current Works

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Shepard

Shepard's eyes flick towards Ahuhi. Normally he'd be the first to dismiss the criminal's opinion, but the kid has a point. He grunts. "Good point. That's also an option we could explore. I don't mind at all, but I'm only one voice for that route." He glances at Ahuhi. "Make that two voices."

23. - Top - End - #173

Lu Xian

Looking at Shepard through the slowly dispersing billows of smoke and then glancing briefly at Ahuhi, Lu Xian shakes his head.

Captain, you may of course do as you wish, but I will remain here tonight. The presence of spirits does not bother me. But then...

He pointedly does not look at Ahuhi as he says

...I, at least, am capable of defending myself against the dead. I am far more curious than afraid.

24. - Top - End - #174

Ahuhi

Ahuhi snorts

"Its not a question of being afraid. Its a question of making sure we wake up in the morning. I'm not allowed to go off on my own untill we get to the city. But if the lot of you don't wanna leave. Thats fine. Hound, i'm taking first watch."
    My Current Works

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
    Lu Xian

Lady Greywater, I am unfamiliar with your 'magic'. Would these invisible servants manifest with a very obvious gender, appropriate clothing, and uniform hair colour?

"No, they would not. Such servants are "invisible" in every sense, having no bodies, merely the ability to exert force on objects. If the spirits are content, as you say, I see no reason to leave the inn."
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

26. - Top - End - #176

Lu Xian

The placid-faced mystic nods his agreement with Samantha. If he cares about Ahuhi's opinion, you certainly can't tell from his expression.

Mister Guillaume, there are two spirits in this room. Both are on their way out of the room. One is there...

He points towards the servant's door.

And the other is making its way up the stairs.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Adar raises his glass in a toast to the general direction of where the spirit probably is. He mutters a single word in his native Dwarven tongue, a salute of respect and gratitude, and then downs the remainder of his wine. "They are helping these people," he explains, with a vague gesture at the residents of the inn, and perhaps the town as a whole. "Cannot be all bad."

He turns to Lu Xian and Guillaume, "If either of you can talk to them, give my thanks. Is unusual sitiuation, but if you say we are in no danger, comrade, I trust your judgement."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume nods, his eyes following something not seen by most.

"I would also like to stay here this evening as well. I would not unduly delay our travel, but if some investigation can be engaged before we leave...frankly, I'm intrigued.

29. - Top - End - #179

Ahuhi

Ahuhi raises from the table, shooting a glance to Shepard before clearing his throat

"Well then, Ladies. Gentlemen. Rest easy knowing your under the watchful eye of buggins and me. Now where is that old man. Have I got a story for him"

Ahuhi then heads to the back muttering

"Oi! Bar Keep. Got any more pork? I'll tell ya a story. Leave those bloody vegetables off the plater ya?"
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-12-15 at 10:58 PM.
    My Current Works

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Shepard

Shepard nods curtly to Ahuhi, then goes over and plops himself in the chair by the door (lower-left corner of the map). Putting his feet up and tipping his helmet over his eyes, all anyone can see under the helmet is the protruding tip of his cigar, which still smokes quietly. Shepard shifts the cigar slightly with his teeth, tipping the brim of his helmet slightly and allowing him to semi-covertly observe the rest of the common room while appearing to remain asleep. When everyone else heads up to bed, I'll hang around for a few minutes to make sure he's not up to anything funny, then head up myself. I'll patrol the upper coridor and give him a 2-hour shift down here. Let's see if Mr. Crescent Moon is as recalcitrant as he makes himself out to be.