New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Errands for the Hearst (Serenity)

Chapter 1: “Some Assembly Required”

It’s a bright and busy day at the North Ridge docks. One of the smaller and more reputable of Persephone’s spaceports, it serves primarily as an industrial docks for shipping and agricultural businesses. Luckily for you enough private traffic makes its way through that you have no trouble hitching a ride up there from some of the larger cities.

The ad you read in the cortex called for a full crew of a Peregrine class transport. A relatively new model, the Peregrine class is smaller than the well-known Firefly class but boasts considerably greater speed and maneuverability as well as a general technological increase to the standard “Junker Firefly.” This type of ship isn’t seen much in the ‘Verse yet so most of you have never even set eyes upon one. The job description mentioned that you would be “performing various courier related assignments” and that the ship would be traveling “wherever necessary” to complete these tasks. While the ad was a bit on the shady side, the pay (a whopping 300 Credits) seemed too good to pass up.

A Cortex scan of Randolph Hearst didn’t turn up much, though he is listed as a partial investor for a wide variety of companies. Whoever this guy is, he’s apparently got a lot of money and wants you to run his errands.

You arrive at the North Ridge docks and head to a computer terminal. Looking up the ship’s mooring station, you make your way over to meet your new home for the next….however long. What greets your eyes when you come around past a large old freighter has you double checking the docking number and the ship’s name. The ship that sits there has an angled look that almost mimics a bird in a dive. Aptly named after its avian inspiration, the Peregrine ship looks like it’s flying even as it sits quietly in its docking. What throws you off is the logo painted on the side of the boat. In unmistakably large size and characteristic blue paint the company logo “Blue Sun” rides prominently on the ships’ hull (both sides, in fact). The only fact that makes you sure this isn’t some mix up is the ships’ name: “Barchetta” written over the silhouette of a diving Peregrine Falcon.

As you approach the main hatch you see a small paper sign that has been taped to the hull. It reads:

“Attention New Recruits: 5 pm with papers”

You arrive at the ship in the order that you post, let’s get this party started!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Errands for the Hearst (Serenity)

“Attention New Recruits: 5 pm with papers”
    Burt rechecks his pack to make so sure he remembered his papers.

"Huh, it looks like I got here first"
    Crunch hobbles, through the hatch. "Guess that means that I get first choice in bunk"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Doc Ernie

Doc Ernie O'Toole scratches his chin. He's getting more and more uneasy about this job as time goes by. Just as he feared, the ship is a gorram beauty, and Hearst himself is either a saint or rich enough to make sure no one finds out about his misdeeds. This job is on the up-and-up. Mi tian gohn!

Not that he'd usually have a problem with legitimate work, of course. It's just that these past few months it's been... difficult for him to get jobs like that. He does have two advantages over any hypothetical medical competition:
    (1) He is DAMN good.
    (2) Most everyone else who's as good as him won't take a job like this on account of being a big shot in some fancy hospital. Like he used to be.

Well, fortune favors the bold. It's worth a shot. I miss having spending money. He checks his multiband to see how much time is left before 5 pm, checks for his papers (Should have gotten those falsified. Unfortunately that's expensive. Catch-22.), and looks up to see a man more machine than human approaching the same vessel he is. "Hm. You, sir, look like you could benefit from a really good plastic surgeon. I know just who you should call. Just, ah, don't tell her I sent you."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

In a beat up suit, a man slowly walks through the crowd chewing away on some gum. Carrying a large duffel bag in his left hand and a back-pack over his right shoulder, he walks towards a dock that he believes has a job for him. He is fairly clean cut, but hasn’t shaved in a few days and mighty good looking. As he approaches the dock, he looks around to see who is coming and going. Continuing to chew on his gum, he exhales deeply, before turning towards the dock. After entering, he finally gets in view of the ship. Quickly scanning it over, he stops walking when he notices the Blue Sun logo. Shaking his head, he rolls his eyes, and continues walking towards the loading dock. "Makes sense why the pay is this good... and why the job wasn't too descriptive." He does his best to try to pick up as much as he can of what is going on around him.

As he walks up, he notices a figure heading towards the ship, and eventually into it. With a smooth voice, he says, “Hello?” If the person hears him, he then extends his hand to whoever is standing by the doorway and says “Name's Stephen Marshall. Nice to meet you.” He then shakes the person’s hand if he accepts. “I read a notice saying that a…” while placing the bag in his left hand down, before pulling out the notice, “Randolph Hearst, that’s it. A Randolph Hearst was offering jobs and that this was the place to sign up.” When someone acknowledges that this is Hearst’s vessel, Marshall adds, “Ok, good. I haven’t got too much gear with me, just these two bags. (points his head towards the backpack thrown over his shoulder) Anywhere I can fit would be greatly appreciated, so long as I don’t have to stay in this di yu long shen bei pan anymore. (slight chuckle, big smile) I’ll take a bed if you have it, but I don’t mind the floor either.
    Last edited by MaximusMeridius; 2008-12-01 at 10:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: I forgot to add this in but the ship is locked up tight. You can't actually get in yet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Cap'n Crunch

Upon hearing O'Toole's words Burt snorts with laughter. "If I could afford plastic surgery, I could afford the company of those who are more concerned with proportions of a man's wallet than his face." Crunch cradles his chin in his mechanical hand. "Sides, some girls prefer a man with rugged good looks"

From the proportions of the man standing opposite him, Burt assumes he is either the ships cook. "I'm traveling a bit light, do you need any help with your bags? By the way name's Burt."

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

OOG: Maybe my first post would have been better if I'd known enough to check what Blue Sun was. Whoopsie.

Ernie snorts right back. "If rugged got you that far all the time, my friend, I'd lead a different life right now. Be careful, anyway. Rugged girls pack a wallop if y'cross 'em. I'm Doc Ernie. You lookin' to fly on this bird?" He holds out whichever hand will result in Crunch meeting the handshake with his mechanical hand as opposed to the organic one.

To Marshall: "Ah! A professional, I presume? Probably your suit or your speech gave it away. Good to know I won't be the only one! Ernie O'Toole, MD, at your service." With a twinge of nervousness to his voice: "Er, what does your field happen to be, stranger?"

The man who stands before you looks to be in his mid-forties, although a casual glance would suggest he is much older, because his skin is thick, rough, and gnarled all over. Put plain, he's ugly. He's well-dressed, well-groomed, and appears well-off, but the best suit and haircut in the 'Verse couldn't hide that kind of ugly. He has a full (well-groomed) head of what probably used to be bright orange hair, but age has dimmed and grayed it. He wears a very shiny stethoscope around his neck. Very, very shiny.

EDIT, OOG: Hm. Perhaps a post in the recruiting thread would be prudent, just in case people don't check their PMs?
    Last edited by Loquacius; 2008-12-02 at 12:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Cap'n Crunch

"That's the plan. She's not quite what I was expecting, but I've flown in and come to think of if Captained a lot worse." Burt looks at the Doc's extended hand and pauses for a split second. "Now, I'll be damned. A left handed surgeon." He laughs and extends his mechanical hand.

To Marshal:

"Bird looks plenty big enough. Course, you know the rules, as the first guy here, I get dib's on bunk." He grasps Marshal's outstretched hand, and leans in close. "You seem a mite jumpy. Its not going to interfere with the job is it?" Burt waits for his answer before releasing his grip.

The man with Marshal's hand in a vise is as strong as he is ugly. Burt is a big barrel chested brute. He might have been good looking at one point, but it looks like he someone skinned him with a rusty razor, tanned his hide and then re-attach it. His left pant leg is hiked up so as not to foul up his crude prosthetic leg. During his hand shake with the Doctor, you catch a glimpse of a metallic hand, one that starkly contrasts the crude lump of a leg. With all the scarring he could be between thirty and late fifties.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Faith

Faith approaches the ship, subtly glancing over the dock and especially the ship, keeping a small distance between her and the three men standing near the note. Her hand darts into her sling bag, pulling out the papers and puts them into a pocket of her jacket. After that, she looks at the three men apparently waiting in front of the ship, taking a step towards them to get their attention. Faith points at them in one movement, then points with her thumb at the sign with a questioning look.

Before them stands a young, pale, six foot tall woman, dressed predominantly in black and other dark colors. She has black hair at neck-length, a slender build and is quite pretty, but not exceptionally so with the small scars on her face and her looking somewhat tired (haunted?). Her robust yet well-worn clothing - field jacket, fitting turtleneck sweater and pants as well as heavy boots - tell you that she has been on the go and through a lot for quite some time. In fact, the longer you look at her, the more you think you have heard of someone quite similar to her somewhere.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-12-02 at 08:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melony

As Melony draws closer to the ship a bright whistle can be heard from the five foot eight inch girl barely into her twenties a optimistic smile and an confident stare at the familarity of the docks. She wore clothes in a combination of earth tones and cool blues with exception being the military issue boots she wore half-laced. The duffel bag she had slung over her shoulder tugged and pulled at the organe dress shirt she wore as the rolled up cool blue trousers unrolled half way down her leg.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

A woman with brown, wavy hair pulled into a ponytail at the nape of her neck comes striding towards the ship with a bag slung across her back. She's of medium height, lean, and has a light dusting of freckles acrss the bridge of her nose. Attractive, around 30ish, she's wearing grey cargo pants, boots, and a white tank top under a black leather jacket. Inquisitive, green eyes scan the side of the ship, and narrows slightly upon seeing the Blue Sun logo on the side. She looks to the other people standing outside, and ses her heavy bag down. "Here for the Hearst gig?"

12. - Top - End - #12

SwashbucklerGuy

At Crunch's handshake, O'Toole pretends to notice the mechanical hand for the first time. Before the post-handshake release, he holds the hand up to inspect it. "Well, mei yong ma duh tse gu yong, this is some excellent work! I'm not sure if even I've ever seen a prosthesis like this! Where'd you get this done?"

(OOG: Ah, yes. Amorous, Crude, and Ugly As Sin (major). Best combination EVER.)

At the approach of the three women, O'Toole's eyes light up. Jackpot! In an instant, he's over by them, Crunch's awesome fake hand forgotten for the moment. "Welcome, welcome, my dear little chickadees!" (It bears mentioning at this point that two out of three women are taller than O'Toole is--Melony by only a little, but Faith by almost five inches.) "I suppose it'd be too much to ask that such spectacular examples of womanhood as yourselves might also be here for Hearst's job? My name's Dr. Ernest O'Toole, M.D., but please, by all means, call me Ernie. Uncle Ernie, even. All the young ladies in Attleboro, Lilac, used to call me that." (This seems unlikely.) "May I prevail upon you for your names, as well?" To each woman in turn, he extends his hand, in a position that suggests he intends to kiss the backs of their hands rather than one that suggests a good strong handshake is in order.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Faith

Although she does not say a word, Faiths body language clearly shows her lack of interest in the obviously lying man in front of her. She does not give him the attention he craves, as that stings more than any kind of reaction most of the time, but does not actively make a point of it. She takes off her sturdy looking multiband she has strapped to her left arm, showing a large display and a full keypad after being flipped open, and rapidly types in a few words. After that, she shows the message to the others. It reads:

I'm Faith, looking to provide some additional security to this operation.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-12-02 at 01:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

Robyn raises an eyerow and looks at the doc's outstretched hand. She takes it, but roughly enough to let him know there'll be no kissin' of any kind, then pumps it up and down a couple o'times. "Robyn. Reed. Mechanic. And security." Up close, some scarring is visible on her left temple, and through the strands of hair, a part of her left ear seems to be missing. "So, any of ya got any idea what kind of job this is? Or what time we be leavin'?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

Gerard passes through the crowds with a rucksack slung over his left shoulder and a suitcase grasped in his right hand. Coming upon the ship the slender man lays down his luggage and snaps off his sunglasses, stowing them in the front pocket of his jacket. He looks comfortable in his clothes, a worn out sport jacket and a well pressed pair of slacks. His features are attractive, though most men would describe him as pretty rather than handsome or rugged. However, his scared and scabbed knuckles belie a concealed roughness. He looks at the group assembled.

"Damn. That's a beautiful ship. And beautiful women." He drops that line as a matter of fact, careful not to make it sound like a come on. He walks around to each of the crew members and firmly shakes each hand presented. "Gerard Palle. I assumed this boat needed someone with some business sense so I waltzed on down here. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintances."
    I roll 20s

16. - Top - End - #16

SwashbucklerGuy

O'Toole doesn't appear stung by Faith's nonchalance--he's perceptive enough to figure out her reasoning; this man is, after all, the 'Verse's foremost expert on rejection, and he sees this as yet another type of it. Not as interesting as a slap in the face; not as satisfying as a good back-and-forth of verbal jabs, but (a) those things take time, and (b) he'll probably never get to hear a good fiery retort out of this one anyway, if her typed response is any indication. He decides to give it a rest for now, and the inner professional in him shines through for a second. "Hm. You get cut in the throat, missy, or you just shy? Judging from your scars, it's probably the former. Damn shame. Anyone ever take a shot at patchin' it up for ya? We both end up flyin' on this bird, I'll see what I can do. No promises now, but if trouble comes callin' it'd be nice if you could at least give a yell."

When he meets Robyn, Ernie is inwardly a little surprised that so many of his new (knock wood) shipmates are so heavily scarred. Not unpleasantly surprised, though--it gives the impression that he has fallen in among thieves, but that's never made him uncomfortable and it's actually good news for his employment chances. He grins at her reaction to his not-quite-handshake. I like this one! "Enchanted. I'm not sure about the work, but my part of it will probably involve yanking bullets out of you security types every so often. And cooking." He indicates a garden bunk sitting on top of his luggage pile, where assorted vegetables and herbs are growing in small amounts. "A good diet is key to good health. It'd be a shame if your beautiful teeth were to all fall out from scurvy. As for when we leave, probably sometime around 5 pm." He checks his multiband for the time again.

O'Toole seems suspicious and cautious around Gerard, but shakes his hand anyway. If he's got such good business sense, what's he doing on this job? "Doc Ernie O'Toole. Charmed. What brings you here? The black a better view than what's outside your corner office?"
    Last edited by Loquacius; 2008-12-02 at 03:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

In response to Burt’s quip about the bunk choice, Marshall plainly comments, “I have no problem with that at all.” Upon feeling his hand starting to become crushed, Marshall chuckles and smiles, and does his best to try to return the vice grip back, however unsuccessful as it is. Marshall then replies to the inquiry about interfering with the job, by asking “New surroundings I guess. I was never fan of change. As for my duties, I don’t know. Do you think it will?” (The last sentence being said with a hint of sarcasm.) After releasing his hand from the vice-shake, Marshall, with a slight smile, rubs the inside of his palm with his thumb, trying to see if it needs any fixing, before continuing on. “That’s some grip you have there. I feel bad for anyone who has to take a punch from that arm.

While Marshall shakes O’Toole’s hand, he slows down on how fast he is chomping on his gum. He then looks at the man before him and attempts to slightly size him up, while looking him in the eye the entire time. “Well, that depends. What field do you feel it should be? I used to be an advocate at one point, but that feels like it was a lifetime ago.” Before Marshall has a chance to answer, he is pushed aside by the ever giddy O’Toole, who starts to ogle over the lady before him. Marshall turns around, places his duffel on the ground again, before placing his hands in his pockets. Watching everyone’s interactions with each other, he patiently waits to the side for his introductions to happen.

Upon seeing Faith’s typing and lack of speech, he jumps in. “Yes, this appears to be the ship that was mentioned in the advertisement.” He walks up to her, with his hands still in his pockets, before showing her his copy in a way that asks if that is what she is talking about. After she confirms it, he places his hand out for a handshake (and slightly hoping that his hand will survive this one). “The name is Marshall. And it would appear you are in the right spot then.” From here on out, when she doesn’t respond vocally, Marshall does his best to pick up on the rest of her answers through her body language and attempts to read her, as best he can, in an attempt to speed up the communication process with her.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

Robyn glances over at the garden bunk indicated, then nods a little. "Beats chewin' protein bars. As for bullets, let's jus' be hopin' there won't be none of that." She shakes the dandylookin' newcomer's hand, introducin' herself, then looks at the others. "So I'm guessin' you all be lookin' for work, then? I'm Robyn, I've done some mechanical repair work and such. I can handle myself should there be trouble a'comin' as well." She opens her leather jacket enough to show a shoulder holster with a revolver undereath.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Faith

Faith firmly shakes Gerards hand, showing him the message, too. Upon seeing Marshall showing her the note for the job, she nods, firmly (but still rather lightly, as she saw him massaging his hand after the handshake from the tall man) shaking his hand afterwards, too, with a slight smile.

She rapidly types another sentence and shows it to O'Toole: High-caliber rifle round. Can't be fixed.

By now, most of the people should remember some rumors about a vicious, infamous female sword fighter called Crimson (guess where the name comes from) who fought in illegal arena deathmatches on Ezra until a bit more than a year ago who allegedly slaughtered her way out of her cell and has since then disappeared except for occasional possible sightings around the Rim. Many rumors are just a lot of bull, but Faiths resemblance to most descriptions coming with the many versions of the story is quite uncanny.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-12-02 at 05:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melony

Melony just smiled and watched everyone as they talked fairly uninterested in talking untill after they got the job together since she had an amazing talent for acting just plain weird around ships. For now she was content to stand and watch them untill somebody talked to her direct while she looked at the ship in as good detail as she could dropping her duffel to her side as she did so.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear goodness this game has moved fast!
    Knowledge/Starships
    (1d10)[8]
    (1d6)[2]
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

A smile stretches itself across Burt's face as he reads the words from Faith's multi-band. "Say, you wouldn't happen to be the Crimson would you? Boy howdy, it seems we got our selves a celebrity. Is it true that you've killed four people with your bare teeth? Isn't that a bit hard on the teeth?"

Seeing Melon's intrest in the ship, Burt turns to her. "Ever seen one of the Peregrine class before? Hafta admit it the ad made it sound pretty shiny."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Upon Burt announcing the nickname she was branded with in her past, she stares at him, motionless, for a short while, before her face darkens and takes on a even more disillusioned, tired expression, looking away, as if mentioning the name Crimson put an invisible weight on her shoulders. She tries not to show that this much, but she is only partially successful.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Marshall, having noticed something about her earlier, puts his backpack down and steps forward. “No. Of course, it can’t be.” Attempting to deflect some of the attention onto himself, he adds, “Do you think that a pretty girl like this could be a vicious killer?” He motions towards her as he walks by, and towards Burt. “Besides, do you really think that this, so called ‘Crimson’, would be such a normal person? I’m guessing you saw some of the fights if you’re talking like that. There’s no way that whoever was in those fights is still alive right now. The style is too consuming for that person to have not destroyed herself.

He then turns back to Faith, and notices how she is shying away from the situation. He then looks to the ground in disgust, and says “Shame on you for accusing her of such horrible things.” He then takes off his coat, and puts it over her shoulders, in an attempt to bring her back to reality.
    Last edited by MaximusMeridius; 2008-12-03 at 01:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

To Faith, retroactive to before the whole name-game mess started: "A high-caliber rifle shot? To the throat?" He blinks a few times. "Well, it can't be TOO terrible or you'd be extremely dead. Or paralyzed. Maybe I can't get you TALKING, but like I said before it'd be great if you could make noise of some sort. We'll have to see."

After Crunch mentions Faith's past, O'Toole gives her a wide berth. Too heavy for him. Instead he makes his way over to Melony, who'd been keeping to herself, poor young thing. "Hi there, poppet. You're here for the Hearst job too, I take it? My name's Ernie O'Toole. You have a name, flower?"

(OOG: He can't really get too offensive asking for someone's name, so condescending had to do.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Holy hand-grenade, Batman. I come back from a long day of classes and meetings and there's already a Gorram page written! Very promising.

The assembled group continues to stand around and chat (feel free to continue your conversations for as long as you need) and eventually take seats under the shade of the ship's looming frame. A few hot hours pass and you find it to be around 5 O'clock. The hour comes and goes with nothing more than a beep from your wristwatches. At approximately quarter after a thud is heard against the hatch of the ship. Those sitting near it have the good sense to get up and move away just as the tell-tale hissing is heard. With a small puff of compressed air the ship's cargo hatch slowly begins to extend out and fold down, forming the usual ramp. Standing in the doorway, rubbing his eyes and squinting against the light of the setting sun is a young man in his early, early 20s. He wears what appears to be a Blue Sun jumpsuit with the sleeves torn off and the company logo removed. The outfit has grease smears and is riddled with small tears. the upper portion of his suit is unzipped to halfway down his torso and a fresh white undershirt is visible underneath. The young man is shoe-less and has a serious case of bed head. His eyes are a vivid blue and he bears a thin, barely noticeable scar along his left cheek. Finally growing accustomed to the light he looks at the assembled group and cracks a wide smile.

"Gao Guhn! Look at this lot." His gaze wanders to each of your faces, though he seems to try and avoid staring at the women for too long. "If you're here for the Hearst gig, come on in." He turns and lazily strolls into the cargo bay.

Following him inside you enter the dimly lit hold and find it to be filled with an assortment of crates and canisters, all packed neatly up against the corners and leaving the main space clear. One or two longer crates have been dragged to the center of the hold and are arranged like benches before a large monitor embedded in the hold's wall. Most of the lights in the cargo bay are off so it is difficult to get a clear look at everything around you, though you do make out Blue Sun logos on many of the crates.

"Everyone come in and take a seat. The video will begin shortly." The young man darts off down the lower corridor, his feet making loud slapping sounds on the metal flooring.

Melony knows about the Peregrine and has seen schematics in her Cortex browsings. She remembers the approximate layout of the ship due to its similarity to the smaller Wren class of transports. So far everything she has seen is in tip-top shape with no signs of significant damage or repair. Unfortunately she is not familiar enough with the class to detect any changes from the standard model.

OOG: I love reading all these posts but may get lost in them and forget to address something you need. If you'd like to help me out/remind me, you can write a little blip at the end of your post to summarize what you need from me. Some examples:

Result: Ship scan
    Response: New dude
    Result: Sense motive.

Obviously I don't need these for every little thing (especially when your post is short). If you've written something nice and long with a check in the middle that doesn't have any rolls with it you may want to make a note in the bottom of your post to remind me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Burt sees the change that passes over Faith's face. "I said something dumb didn't I? I apologize, I didn't realize it was a sore point. I hope you don't hold it against me. Twere I you I'd consider it a badge of honor."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

Robyn gets up as the hatch opens, and gets her bag. She looks curiously at the kid in the jumpsuit, taking special note of the fact that the Blue Sun logo had been removed. She glances to Faith. Even though she hadn't said anything about the Crimson thing, she had heard the name before, as well as the descriptions. She decides that caution is the best way to go. Once inside the ship, she looks around appreciatively, and takes a seat on one of the crates, placing her bag beside her.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

A confused Faith watches Marshall as he stands up for her despite not even knowing her, something that is a decidedly new and unexpected experience for the young woman. When he tries to give her his coat, she declines as politely as she can without speech with raised hands, palms facing the coat, but mouths a Thank you, followed by a weak, yet grateful smile. She hopes that the years without being able to speak heightened her ability to express herself via her body language.

With a wiping hand motion, a shake of her head and a resolute expression, she tries to tell Burt not to worry about it.

While Faith gathers herself again to rebuild her composure, she is surprised by the comparatively warm reactions of the two men, although she expected the reactions of the others.

After the hatch opens, she follows the young man - who is probably around her age, being 20 years old - inside, immediately scanning the hold, a habit she developed in the past years. There is a certain natural smoothness or fluidness to her movement, as she circles around the left crate, sitting down at the outer edge, placing her shoulder bag between her feet, waiting.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Burt is one of the first through the hatch following the young man, but because of his slow pace he is the last to arrive at the impromptu viewing area. He does his best to take a seat in the back without disturbing the other crew members.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Giants has been a little screwy these past few days. Normally I like to wait until there are more posts but I'm getting antsy so here goes...

You make your way into the cargo bay toting your stuff. Taking seats around the monitor, you wait in the dark for a moment until a light clicks on from the second floor of the cargo bay. Looking up, you see the lanky, disheveled young man standing in a small control booth which peers out into the cargo bay. His voice pops up on the intercom and he says "Alright, sit tight. Company policy says I have to show you this video. Try to stay awake."

What follows is a mind-numbingly boring video from the Blue Sun Shipping division. It goes through the standard operating procedures about wearing your Blue Sun uniform, obeying safety regulations, and other boring, boring stuff. As with all such informational videos you finish watching it and find you've learned absolutely nothing. With the video completed the screen goes dark and the lights in the cargo bay snap on, nearly blinding you.

The young man returns to the cargo bay and smiles. "Well, now that you've seen the intro video, I suppose some introductions are in order. My name is Captain Macarius J. Anders and this is the Barchetta, a Peregrine class Blue Sun Corporation courier vessel under executive commission by Dr. Randolf Hearst. Before we sign any of you up, Dr. Hearst requires a simple competency test. About a mile northwest of here is one of those rentable storage facilities. You are to make your way there and retrieve a small briefcase from the designated locker and bring it back to me. Please mind that the contents of the briefcase are extremely fragile and shouldn't be jostled. The exact location of the facility as well as the storage number and lock combination are on this sheet of paper. *Puts a sheet of paper on the bench.* The Hearst has set an hour time limit on your little endeavor and has instructed me to begin timing when I finish this sentence." He clicks a button his watch and smiles at the group. "Better hustle."