New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Errands for the Hearst (Serenity)

Anders smiles at Ernie "I don't ask questions, I just do what Mr. Hearst asks. You should probably do some research before we make this drop. Look this Bailey fellow up and get a load on him. Maybe pull up some specs on where he lives and what not. We can use the regular cargo drop as cover while you try and get the desk. If you contact him, he may make the whole thing more difficult. Feel free to use any of the terminals on the ship to do your planning and you can use this table here to lay out maps and things."

OOG: Time to pull some strings and do some digging!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn rubs her forehead, thinkin'. Glancin' at Anders, she asks:"So, will you be contactin' im or no? The way I see it, makin' contact has both its ups and downs. He might be willin' to part with the desk, or he might just be extra careful of it, and when it goes missin', he'll have a pretty good idea who took it. I can go check out this Bailey character, get the lay out on his place if it's available." She stands, picking up her plate to bring it to the kitchen counter. "Thanks for the spread, Doc, it was great."
    Last edited by Yawielas; 2009-01-23 at 02:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

"If'n we do contact him we might want to use an intermediary. That way we won't look guilty if it goes missin."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

"I wasn't planning on it, unless you'd like me to pose as an intermediary."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ernie scratches his chin thoughtfully. "That'd work. We could also send Marshall or Gerard, but I don't think anyone else would make a really convincing buyer of antique furniture. Either of you want to volunteer?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So what's our budget for this op anyway? John asks. Whatever we end up doing, I can try making our initial approach come close enough to run a sensor sweep on Bailey's place. God knows we're no photo recon bird, but I'll manage.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

"I like that idea, but can we get close enough without tipping him off?" Burt pulls a smoke out of his pocket. "Can I smoke in here?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Faith listens to the others for a while before typing something into her Multiband and showing it to Burt.

Usually jobs like this one involve the owner of the target item not wanting to part with it, so it has to be stolen or taken by force, either because the client can't acquire it on another way or doesn't want to pay for it. So you should think about an emergency plan in case Bailey doesn't want to sell or things get ugly, so we can act faster than he can prepare against us.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

"Makes a good point. We probably wouldn't be doing this job if Bailey were willing to part with it." Burt lights his cigar and takes a puff. "I still think we should make contact. If he doesn't want to sell he doesn't want to sell, but we might be able to find out more about his security." He takes another puff. "I think we should have everyone waiting to go in, when we send in whoever were sending. That way if things go bad backups there. Also if Bailey doesn't want to sell, we can go in before he has a chance to beef up security."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

(Sorry about lack of posting, I've had trouble accessing the site the last week.)

Robyn nods. "Sounds good. I'll go try pull up a schematic of the house. Maybe some aerial shots." She heads to the bridge to use the computer.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Yay! Giants isn't broken anymore!

Robyn goes to the computer terminal and begins working the cortex (makes some rolls for me!). Anders replies to the budget inquiry: "We've got a modest budget but I can squeeze a little more here and there if I have to. If it's something we can reuse and will help us later, Hearst will probably foot the bill for us. Get a list of the things you want and a battle plan and I'll see if we can purchase everything reasonably."

OOG: I'll get a tentative map of the place based on how well Robyn searches. Anyone else with a knack for this might want to help out.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

(What should I roll?)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

I seem to have misplaced everyone's character sheets, else I would look at yours and tell you. Can you post it again? Anything espionage, computer, techy, or searching/intuition based would suffice.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

((John has Scientific expertise d4 and Int d6, so I suppose he could help.

(d4)[4]+(d6)[1]))
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2009-02-12 at 12:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Burt leans back puffing on his cigar. "I've never been that good with computers. If Robyn does a good enough job we might not have to do that flyby."

Burt scratches the stubble on his chin. "I can think of anything we need, most everybody seems pretty good as far as firepower goes. A getaway vehicle big enough to carry the desk might be nice." He chuckles. "We could just carry it back to the ship but that might be a little conspicuous."
    Last edited by Odin the Ignoble; 2009-02-06 at 04:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

(Here's my character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=93122
    Intelligence d10, Technical Engineering d6 and Infiltration d8, let me see if I remember how to roll on the boards:

(1d10)[1] Intelligence
    (1d8)[4] Infiltration
    (1d6)[6] Technical engineering

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard
    OOG: Sorry for the long lack of posts. I've found out that IE works well and Firefox doesn't, which explains a lot of my problems.

Gerard shakes his head when the prospect of resaerch and planning comes up. "Yeah, I'm not gonna be much help on this. I'm not great with computers and my few contacts are mostly in the boxing world. But I'm more than willing to be the first contact with this guy. I bet Marshall and I could get a lot of what we need. Gerard looks at Anders, "So do we know anything about thisfurniture? Is this like an end table or a divan?
    I roll 20s

18. - Top - End - #168

SwashbucklerGuy

OOG: It's a desk.

OOG2: Ernie is at http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=93477

Ernie is decent with computers -- bombs are his favorite machines, but he's willing to branch out to some others as well -- but Robyn seems to be in her element here, so he leaves it to her, cleaning up the rest of the meal instead. To John, upon seeing his cigar: "Ain't none of my business, I know, but as a doctor I gotta ask, ain't you got enough ways of losin' your life without the smokes?"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

He gives Ernie a lopsided grin. "Ernie, I din't know you cared." He takes another puff. "I never believed none of that cancer stuff anyway. My granpapy used to say 'Smoked meat lasts longer'. Next you'll be telling me that sunlight is bad for you.."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Anders responds to Gerrard. "All I know is that it is an antique mahogany desk from Earth-that-was called the Windsor. We can stop once we get planet side and pick up whatever we need."

The computer searching does not reveal a blueprint of his house, but you do manage to dig up a satellite image of his compound.....

OOG: I really want you guys to form your own battle plan here. If you are grasping for straws and want me to railroad I can, but I'd rather you guys have all options available to you. I will post once I've heard from everyone and some form of a plan is coming into light.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2009-02-11 at 07:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Faith shows Burt another message.

Without any information, I can only guess what awaits us. The way I see it, there are basically three ways to get the table, the first being using negotiation. I still doubt the owner will part with an Earth-that-was desk that has its own name, but maybe it works. The second is covert ops, sneaking in and stealing it, but millionaires like their security to be tight, so we would need extensive intel and preparation time and maybe inside help. The third is taking it with brute force. That is the least likely and favorable option, for the same reasons as with covert ops. And I'm sure we are supposed to avoid drawing attention to our employer.

I'd say we need a legitimate reason to be present in our target's home, with the Barchetta in close vicinity, so we can quickly get the desk out and into the ship either on foot or on a ground vehicle. Two teams, one going in for negotiations (if that is possible), another forming a strike team that can quickly enter and get the desk out, possibly doing something about the security in the process. We should get everyone together after the research to see what kind of skills and equipment we have at our disposal

OOC: Right now, making a plan is not really possible without the research that is just starting right now, so even if we can agree on a MO, we are basically stuck with improvisation anyway. BTW, Faith.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2009-02-12 at 03:08 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I have to agree. It doesn't seem like money is much of an object to the big boss, so I suspect he already tried, and the guy won't sell. We need to find everthing we can on the guy.

We also need to figure out some way to reduce our search area-we can't go through warehouse, house, and cabin. Hell, we can't go through the entire hosue there.

We also can't be tied to the place in any way. No matter what you hear, the Feds are not complete idiots. They are fully able to put two and two together. If we set down on the place a few hours before the robbery, you know who they are going to come after first.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn places the satelite photo on the table. "My bet's it's in the house. That's where I'd keep an artefact from Earth-that-was. The house most likely has the best security, so it's the logical place for it. If we could find out more about the target, we could pull a sting operation, maybe. Send in a rich collector or sumthin', askin' to buy the desk. Then, if refused, we could burst in, kidnap the collector an' the desk. Or we could be more stealth like about it once we know where it is. I have a mag charge, laserlight mist, chem plast charge, electronic lockpick...We should also find out how many servants and guards he has. Perhaps we could use the cabin as a base, if it's empty. We don't need to land the ship on the space pad. Easier to camouflage a shuttle, if you're worryin' the ship'll get recognized. We could do a paint job on the shuttle, make it look all official like or sumthin. That way they won't know who we are."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Faith nods.

I agree with operating somewhat anonymously and using the shuttle. We definitely need intel on the compound, security, position of the desk and the interests of the collector or what outside services he utilizes. The last two are for possibly entering the compound for scouting/starting the plan. I can help with the stealth and infiltration part and interrogation if needed, I don't have any tools that could help in this kind of mission.

Gathering information seems to be the next step, I'm afraid I won't be of much help in that. As well as the negotiation part.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Burt relays Faith's messages as fast as she types.

"Faith is right we need more information. As son as we finish the legit job we should see what we can gather.

I like the shuttle idea. If were going to paint it maybe we should get some false papers and come up with a reason to be there.

Like were feds checking the area for an escaped convict, and we want our most distinguished citizen to feel safe. That way we have a reason to search the house n' grounds. Once we locate the desk we can 'confiscate' it. If they try and stop us we can fight our way out.
    "

Burt snorts. "Maybe once we spot the desk we can ask to see it's papers. Then make up an error and an excuse to take the desk. Or if he doesn't have papers we can impound it on the spot."

Burt

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

"I think we're overlooking two important details here. The first, we don't really know what this thing looks like, so whichever one of us is good at that sort of thing should look into it. Second, IT'S A DESK. I dunno if they made desks the same way on Earth-that-was, but this thing could be huge. We don't know how much manpower it will take to even get this thing off the ground, let alone out of the compound, possibly under fire. We might want to prepare a cart or something to help move it. I'm still for a straight ahead approach, maybe get a few of us in there without any real suspicion so the rest of us can give the man some covert action."
    I roll 20s

27. - Top - End - #177

SwashbucklerGuy

Having finished cleaning dinner up, Ernie sits back down and relaxes, occasionally taking pulls from his flask. "I dunno if I like the Fed idea--it'd work fine on a poor individual, but the moneyed get due process if they get in any trouble at all. Plus we'd need some damn good forgery to make them think we're Feds in the first place, and without a designated hacker on our team we might be S.O.L. there." He rubs his chin pensively. "We're definitely gonna need to case the joint. Send in a 'buyer'--if the negotiation doesn't work, we'll at least know the place's layout. And, yeah, also how easy moving the thing is going to be."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Burt nods in agreement. "Good points. I think that we'll need to send someone in as a buyer. It's better to tip our hand than going in blind."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Ok, this idea is not working. I apologize. I wanted to try something new and experimental and it didn't work. Let's see if we can get this bad boy back on track.

The beeping sound of a comm-link transmission comes in over the god-speakers. Anders darts off to take it and leaves you standing in the kitchen, looking at the map. A few moments later he returns.

"Well, I'll be damned. That was Mr. Hearst and apparently Bailey is expecting us now. He says we need to forget the routine drop and get to Bailey's ASAP to retrieve the desk. He mentioned something about 'another interested party' that we need to out-hustle. Let's kick this bird up to hard-burn and we should make it their in about 6 hours. Everyone suit up."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

((I was starting to wonder if I had signed up for Serenity or Shadowrun.))

Aye sir! John says, springing up from the table. He pauses at the doorway. Get me a topo map for the surrounding three klicks, willya? he asks before resuming his dash for the cockpit.

Reaching the Barchetta's nerve center, he flops into the pilot's seat and hurridly re-runs the nav data. Ready for good long run? Atta girl. You're a frisky one, ain'tcha? He notes the local time estimated for arrival, and then he ceremoniousy brings the ship's nose around and opens the throttle all the way.

Course reset, he heads for his cabin, takes a couple pulls from the Whisky bottle, and then extracts from his bag a sawed-off shotgun and a box of shells. He heads back to the mess. Hey, anybody got a gun-cleaning kit I could borrow? I seem to have left mine on Persephone.