Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default 132 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 119

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: 131(??) The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 119

Quote Originally Posted by Emo Samurai View Post
    Presumably it should be 132; looks like a glitch that posted the new page in place of the old one instead of as an addition to the set.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is this the right thread then...?

I think the number is screwed up too. But Wanda vs Ansom = One ugly fight. Anyone taking bets? 400 Solars on Wanda!
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really excited. Incidentally, when will this chapter end? Page 148?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The cutting of threads is a reference to the Fates, the Norns or Moirae, who cut the spin, weave, and cut the threads of human lives.

(Literal blindness, however, would be an attribute of the Graeae, who were said by some to have only one eye between the two or three of them, as in the stories of Perseus.)
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-12-02 at 11:54 AM.
    Quo vadis?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

The cutting of threads is a reference to the Fates, the Norns or Moirae, who cut the spin, weave, and cut the threads of human lives.
    Which kind of reinforces the idea that Wanda's essentially a manipulator and destined to wield the pliers. Plus, fate magic.

7. - Top - End - #7

Too bad that they didn't spend the points to give those arches fire/flaming arrows: that flying carpet would be ashes by now.
    Quo vadis?

8. - Top - End - #8

Ayyyyy, too tense.

Personally I want to see Ansom win this. Both sides are incredibly interesting and well told, I just prefer the 'good guys'.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Wanda is just too awesome!

Now let's see if she can take Ansom from that carpet of his. Parson surely knows the odds, or he wouldn't send Wanda.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nice comic! Pity we can't see the previous one anymore due to the numbering glitch...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dont think Ansom will die however he will lose the pliers due to some goofy game mechanic that Wanda pulls, remember all she is using is undead so Ansom will aggro on her BIG TIME, he will forget everything else and that will be his undoing.

He will escape by the way the wording on last two panels, and Parson's orders were to do a pick-up of the pliers as well.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Personally I don't think Wanda is going to be able to kill Ansom in this fight. She may drive him off (though I am in doubt about this), and thus win the engagment by any measure that matters, but I don't think she will kill him. In terms of sheer firepower I think that these two stacks (ansom is a stack of one, and wanda and her four minions) are fairly well matched. From a plot perspective, it doesn't feel like we are done building to the climax quite yet, and the climax is where I think we will loose one of our well developed characters. I actually believe that Wanda will loose this fight. As powerful as so many on these boards seem to believe Wanda is, I've always gotten the sneaking suspicion that she is not all that great in a direct fight. This is supported, though vaugely, by the time she shot off all the air defenses. After that shot my reaction was 'is that all?' upon seeing the results of that shot. It also seems supported by the fact that she is a controling personality and as such is more used to having other units do the dirty work.

Just some speculation based on subjective feelings and little evidance. My attempt to fit in amongst most of the board users

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

AHHHH! I can't stand the suspense! Wanda vs. Ansom, I just hope Jillian and Vinny don't show up any time soon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else hearing "Duel of the Fates" during this fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, wait, wait... Wanda is meleeing Ansom? So I take it she isn't a squishy. Wow... just wow... if she is a match for Ansom, what the bloody...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

yup, comic 118 is MIA for now. hope that gets fixed soon.

battle-armor Wanda for the win! im kinda hoping she gets the pliers and attunes them... shes at a serious disadvantage in this fight, as her troops (mount included) wont last that long. but she is all parson has in reserve for this.

17. - Top - End - #17

Next comic!

Ansom:Who are you people?
    Wanda:
    My name is Wanda Firebaugh. You killed my relationship. Prepare to croack.

I have to admit I didn't saw this coming, but it's great anyway.

Soooo, how strong will Wanda be in melee?
    Cons:
    -She's a mancer. Mancers seem to be pretty squishy.
    -She really isn't used to be in the frontline as far as we know.
    -Still not totally recovered from her shock.

Pros
    -She herself admits she's quite skilled at a series of things. Perhaps she took some staff fighting lessons while learning every school of magic?
    -Badass armor, probably the best battle armor available in Gobwin Knob.
    -Uncroacked archon. Still glowing so probably it's still a viable threat.

I also love the calm look in Parson's face. So...Ruthless.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    -Uncroacked archon. Still glowing so probably it's still a viable threat.
    All the uncroaked air units were glowy here, but I assumed that was a direct application of croakamancy.

On the other hand, none seem to be glowing here.

Also, we don't know that Wanda has that good a chance: it could simply be Parson's best available option. He can't sacrifice the outer wall, at least not until he's further weakened the RCC or some of his other plans come to fruition.
    Quo vadis?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So is the implication that the undead on the walls are powerless to hurt Ansom?

If so, how in the world is it that the RCC thought he was going to be toast in a matter of moments?

Thematically, the only thing that has provided me with the slightest heartburn for this awesome webcomic is the occasional discrepancy between (at times explicitly stated) expectations, and result. For example, dwagons are supposed to be awesome, but they've seemed underwhelming. The battle at the chokepoint, even with Caesar's unexpected arrival, was supposed to be exceedingly tight AT BEST for Transylvito, with Stanley perhaps having the advantage, and yet Stanley only barely escaped with six dwagons (although this has a caveat, if the Transylvito forces come out close to demolished, I'll feel a lot better). Ansom wasn't supposed to last for more than a few moments against the wall undead alone, and now Wanda seems like Parson's only hope.

Not sure I get it.

Other than that, I loved this comic. I can't wait for the next one. Wanda vs. Ansom has been one of the things I've been really waiting for!
    Last edited by headhoncho; 2008-12-02 at 01:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If Ansom gets obliterated thats a differant story. I really hope Wanda kicks the crap out of him in melee.

Hmm... perhaps the city is a mountain terrain the and uncroaked can't hit fliers? Parson probably doesn't have time to get the gobwins up there in time.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Remember, Wanda gives a huge buff to her undead if she's in the same hex as them! Ansom's toast.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2008-12-02 at 01:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

My guess is that Wanda's instructions were only to try to get the Pliers (and retreat). Also Remember the klog where it was mentioned the huge bonus undead got when lead by a Croakamancer, maybe Wanda with his little airforce will be enough to just get the job done

Edit: also, this is taking Ansom by total surprise. The coalition only took into account the Dwagons for GK air force. Ansom didn't know about the uncraoked air force (though he could have though of it). And Charlie is there "guarding" the air space. Might count for something.
    Last edited by PePe QuiCoSE; 2008-12-02 at 01:22 PM.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

23. - Top - End - #23
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by headhoncho View Post
    So is the implication that the undead on the walls are powerless to hurt Ansom?

If so, how in the world is it that the RCC thought he was going to be toast in a matter of moments?
    The RCC knows that there are a bloody awful lot of uncroaked on the walls. They may infer that the uncroaked are individually weak (if they understand the tradeoff between quantity and quality when a Croakamancer creates them en masse), and they know that the Arkenpliers is especially effective against them, but even so they may expect sheer weight of numbers to eventually prevail.

Also, the RCC's pessimism probably reflects general loss of confidence in Ansom's leadership (after all, Ansom's latest bright idea is the reason GK acquired all those uncroaked in the first place).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Anybody else notice that she is riding to battle wielding skeletor's staff?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Anybody else notice that she is riding to battle wielding skeletor's staff?
    In noticed it since the first time she faced Jillian's flying task force. It's really clear that it's the same exact design, save for the different color scheme, in that comic.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-12-02 at 01:26 PM.
    Quo vadis?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    The RCC knows that there are a bloody awful lot of uncroaked on the walls. They may infer that the uncroaked are individually weak (if they understand the tradeoff between quantity and quality when a Croakamancer creates them en masse), and they know that the Arkenpliers is especially effective against them, but even so they may expect sheer weight of numbers to eventually prevail.
    Also, the RCC's pessimism probably reflects general loss of confidence in Ansom's leadership (after all, Ansom's latest bright idea is the reason GK acquired all those uncroaked in the first place).
    Agree with all of that. All of that makes sense. But Parson is seeming to say that the undead on the wall cannot prevail against Ansom, that they can't hurt him. And as affirmation, he doesn't have a single arrow sticking out of him (although his carpet does).

If that's the case, the RCC leaders aren't just demoralized, they're fundamentally clueless about how their own rules of war work.

If the undead can hurt Ansom (which I would imagine is the case, given the efforts they're making), then the weight of numbers SHOULD mean something, and Ansom SHOULD be eventually doomed. Otherwise, he could just sweep all of the undead off of the walls without any risk.

Do you see the disconnect I'm talking about? Am I missing something?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Something else I noted is that the other unipeguatars seem to have mounts as well. If you take a look at the unipeguatar on the far left in panel six it looks like there is a second head, and if you look at the unipeguatar on the far right in panel 10 you can see a weapon that looks suspiciously like Webinar's scythe. It seems as if Webinar and Dora might be accompanying Wanda on her attack mission.

*EDIT* I mean panel 7 not panel 6.
    Last edited by Felkethar; 2008-12-02 at 01:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felkethar View Post
    Something else I noted is that the other unipeguatars seem to have mounts as well. If you take a look at the unipeguatar on the far left in panel six it looks like there is a second head, and if you look at the unipeguatar on the far right in panel 10 you can see a weapon that looks suspiciously like Webinar's scythe. It seems as if Webinar and Dora might be accompanying Wanda on her attack mission.
    *EDIT* I mean panel 7 not panel 6.
    GREAT eye, I didn't notice that at all. This battle is shaping up to be better and better! Stack of seven vs. stack of one, I was thinking the whole time that Wanda and two warlords would go with the three unipegataurs and the archon against the siege. This is great!

EDIT: That is TOTALLY Webinar's scythe!
    Last edited by headhoncho; 2008-12-02 at 01:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by headhoncho View Post
    Do you see the disconnect I'm talking about? Am I missing something?
    We don't know what the RCC warlords know about croakamancy. But they can do the math and they have serious reasons to be disappointed in the course of the siege of GK. Duke Nozzle didn't say that he thinks that they cannot win, but he did have doubts regarding the advisability and need of continuing the assault on GK, particularly under Ansom.

What seems likely, especially given the actions of the other RCC warlords, is that Ansom has the chance (or thinks he has the chance) to hold his spot of the wall long enough for the RCC siege units to penetrate the outer walls.
    Quo vadis?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

I don't think it's a clear win for Wanda, she's obviously about to have a nervous breakdown from controlling all those undead. (and her previous Jillian problem) Ansom may be a little tired, but he's also super pissed.

Also, we still don't know how anything in GK is going to defeat those archons on the following turn. Nothing about the chats with Charlie suggests he intends to restrain from violence.