New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default 4 known Arkentools?

I was rereading the comic from the archives and noticed something I didn't give much thought to before. On page 39, it mentions there are four known arkentools. Well, I know about the Dish, Hammer, and Pliers, does anyone know what the fourth is?

I realize the following statements will contain alot of conjucture but assuming the Dish is Thinkamancy and the Pliers are Croakamancy, then the known tools are aligned not only on the fate axis but the Motion element. That leaves us with Dollamancy and Carnymancy. I like the hammer aligning with Carnymancy, (walnuts to birds, Lightning, very show and kinda carnival-esque). I don't know, thoughts anyone?
    That's fascinating - really, it is - but now that you've fulfilled your story purpose, I find I have no interest in speaking to you any longer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 4 known Arkentools?

Quote Originally Posted by Hshelton View Post
    Well, I know about the Dish, Hammer, and Pliers, does anyone know what the fourth is?
    Nope.

And, of course, that's just four tools known to the Erfworlders. There could be more yet to be discovered tools.

I like the hammer aligning with Carnymancy, (walnuts to birds, Lightning, very show and kinda carnival-esque).
    And good for hitting the "Test Your Strength" lever and ringing the bell at the top of the post.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It has to be the...

Arken Saw!

~Raevhen~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I was rereading the comic from the archives and noticed something I didn't give much thought to before. On page 39, it mentions there are four known arkentools. Well, I know about the Dish, Hammer, and Pliers, does anyone know what the fourth is?
    Other than Rob and Jamie, no.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

There's a theory that there are 24 arkentools, one for each special school of magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

I really like the idea that the four known Arkentools all align to Fate and Motion, and thus the fourth would be Dollamancy.

If there are more than four, then my money is on there being eight--one for each type of Fate magic. Linking the Arkentools to Fate seems only fitting.

[EDIT]Although, as others have pointed out, the pliers may well be linked to Healomancy--thus explaining it's particular effectiveness against uncroaked. If so, it still keeps it in the realm of Fate. Which is good.[/EDIT]
    Last edited by Olibarro; 2008-12-04 at 11:37 AM.
    Animalball Games: Every time you can has, Jesus kills a LOLcat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I don't know why, but the fact that there are four known arkentools just seems playing at the back of my mind. Also, aligning the way that I mentioned makes the seems to imply that they are tools to put Fate into Motion.

[Edit] Besides, after today's comic, I really think the pliers are going to attune to Wanda.
    Last edited by Hshelton; 2008-12-04 at 12:31 PM.
    That's fascinating - really, it is - but now that you've fulfilled your story purpose, I find I have no interest in speaking to you any longer.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the theory that there are 8 total tools. One for each school of fate-magic, which Ansom mentions is relevant to using arkentools.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the hammer aligning with Carnymancy, (walnuts to birds, Lightning, very show and kinda carnival-esque). I don't know, thoughts anyone?
    Don't forget "taming" dwagons... dwagon's are the lions of erfworld =p

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raevhen View Post
    It has to be the...

Arken Saw!

Oh! That would be terrible. And I don't put it past Rob and Jamie.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Oh! That would be terrible. And I don't put it past Rob and Jamie.
    Yeah, they're pretty good with puns and erfworld!
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    FOSS Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I originally thought that there would be 8, keeping in par with one for each fate based "mancy".

But I feel that the idea that the arken tools are connected to "putting fate into motion" is much more appealing. If this is true, then it is much more likely that the arken tools are resonant to croakamancy rather than healomancy (especially since it fits so well now that Wanda is in a conflict with its wielder). Plus, like others have said, it is not known whether or not healomancy hurts croaked units.

Edit: I booped up, meant to say that the arken pliers were resonant with croakamancy.
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2008-12-13 at 10:23 AM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

13. - Top - End - #13

Well Stanley had to be questing after something while he was losing all those towns, and he already had the hammer and the Dish and Pliers were already spoken for. So either he was after that fourth Arkentool or there are others out there waiting to be found.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spatula would be my first guess
    Tweezer as the next (probably not, since Pliers can be used instead)

Since those are tools used for making diorama landscape, miniature modeling and claycraft. Surely the titans used a spatula tool.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Roupe View Post
    Spatula would be my first guess
    Tweezer as the next (probably not, since Pliers can be used instead)

Since those are tools used for making diorama landscape, miniature modeling and claycraft. Surely the titans used a spatula tool.
    What about an arkenpaintbrush, the ultimate tool of creation for table-top games, then? Or a chisel?
    Quo vadis?

16. - Top - End - #16

I favor the alliteration of an erf-sharpie... the 'Arkenmarker'. When combined with the Arkenwhiteboard, it becomes a powerful tool for strategic planning. On its own it just summons Ink Golems.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

What about an arkenpaintbrush, the ultimate tool of creation for table-top games, then? Or a chisel?
    I did consider the paintbrush, but arkenpaintbrush sounds a bit to elongated and over the top.

but i got the feeling that erfworld was made with not much care. Function is more important than appearance. It looks similar to the hastily created tabletop games. Whatever is in the room is used to represent something on the board. No visible octahedron monsters though, but the gwiffons is a dead giveaway ^^.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thus i have revised my suggestion and now think a Spoon took the Spatulas task. Spoon would be a nice red herring "there is no Spoon". A arkentool that people think exist, but isn't. Perhaps Stanly spent all his time looking for it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

The arkenneedle? If it has to do with golems and dollamancy. Perhaps the Arkenfile to shape and mold wooden golems, though the arkenchisel would be good for stone golems (more of a dirtomancy thing really)

That or the arkenchamberpot which will of course attune to Sizemore.

19. - Top - End - #19

... And one ArkenSwissArmyKnife to rule them all.
    Quo vadis?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dresdor View Post
    That or the arkenchamberpot which will of course attune to Sizemore.
    No, Sizemore's would be the Arkenshovel.

And NO, I'm NOT suggesting the glowing shovel he used in the battle under Gobwin Knob was an Arkentool. Just saying what a dirtamancy Arkentool would likely be.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm still unconvinced that the ArkenDish is an actual Arkentool and not just Charlie bluffing the entire world into thinking he's more powerful than he really is.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm still unconvinced that the ArkenDish is an actual Arkentool and not just Charlie bluffing the entire world into thinking he's more powerful than he really is.
    So far he's got the goods to back it up. He's at least enough of a thinkamancy master to crack the eyebooks, something Maggie thought was completely impossible. And while we don't know how powerful or skilled a thinkamancer she is, she did take part in the creation of the eyebooks and held together a very difficult and dangerous spell, the eyemancer link.

There's two ways to think about it: He lied to increase what people are willing to pay for his services, but it would also mean that people would expect more from. Or perhaps he lied to keep others from attacking him, but having an arkentool would also make him more of a danger and of a target in the eyes of some. He could also have lied so that others will accept him given that he's a mercenary and a commoner, I suppose.
    Quo vadis?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    We have seen the arkendish (panel 6) and it is a rendered item like all the other arkentools, not drawn.

So unless Charlie is also a master-class foolamancer, I'd say he really has an arkentool.
    Self portrait: @

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Angband View Post
    We have seen the arkendish (panel 6) and it is a rendered item like all the other arkentools, not drawn.

So unless Charlie is also a master-class foolamancer, I'd say he really has an arkentool.
    There's a good shot of it here too, panel 2:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0046.html
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-12-16 at 07:38 PM.
    Quo vadis?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    So far he's got the goods to back it up. He's at least enough of a thinkamancy master to crack the eyebooks, something Maggie thought was completely impossible.
    Or, the Arkendish, drawn like a communication item, is able to infiltrate communication spells.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    Or, the Arkendish, drawn like a communication item, is able to infiltrate communication spells.
    Possibly. Of course, I feel compelled to mention that thinkamancy is an actual Erf term while we don't know that there is any such concept as a "communication spell." Presumably these spells would be related to thinkamancy, so I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that the soi disant arkendish has some ability to interfere with some subcategories of thinkamancy.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-12-17 at 12:12 AM.
    Quo vadis?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Claiming that you have some powerful weapon that you really do not have is fatal in the long run. Charlie's dish, or at least the power associated with it, is very likely to be real.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Fair enough. I just expected all of the Arkentools to actually be... tools. A satellite dish seems like the odd item out.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I would agree that the satellite dish seems to be a strange thing for the titans to have as a tool....however I do like the discussion about there being 4 tools that align with fate and motion;

though, it is mostly a circular arguament, as until an update confirms otherwise, it is only an assumption that the pliers relate to croakamancy...we know the dish is related to thinkamancy, which adds credance to the 'arkentools putting fate into motion' theory...however as has been previously mentioned the arkendish being thinkamancy related could be a bluff on Charlie's behalf (though I'm not really on board with that)....the Arkenhammer being Carneymancy does have some weight due to it's showy effects an general unpredictability, but without any direct examples of cast Carneymancy, this is merely speculation....

...anyway, I like the idea of the 4th tool being the Arkensaw...though precisely how this would relate to Dollamancy, or even what Dollamancy would be is beyond the finest predictamancers!
    Land of Immortals: Apocalypse - NWN2 PvP server....custom conquering system where players join an immortal battle for control of the lands resources....

come challenge my brute - warning, may be addictive

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Bawon von Howse View Post
    I would agree that the satellite dish seems to be a strange thing for the titans to have as a tool....however I do like the discussion about there being 4 tools that align with fate and motion;
    I would just add that there is one visual difference between the arkenhammer and the arkenpliers: the former is more like a useless Earth toy (admittedly, this makes a carnymancy connection or alignment seem likelier) while the appearance of the latter is closer to that of a real Earth tool.

Dollamancy: yes, a needle would be great. But it wouldn't balance the arkendish, as three of the tools could be used as melee weapon while the other apparently cannot (though that in itself fits the cerebral nature of thinkamancy, of course).
    Quo vadis?