New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

[Previous thread here]

The snow has been falling for days, you find yourself so tired of walking through the plains. You finally see the city of freemen, its towering walls cause you to think twice about this decision. The city once was an army fort which has been converted into a town. You approach the gates, two dwarvin guards stand at attention next to a steel door. The guards seem to look past you as you stand in the cold snow as if you do not exist.

[OOC: Please be leveled up and sold/purchased anything you wanted]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-12-08 at 03:13 PM.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Louis shakes his head as Throshkar cooes over the rapier; he would have sworn the blade looked rusty and the scabbard made of plain leather.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had Throsh coo over Adrain's weapon because he rolled so badly on identifying it. No way you spent enough on it for him to actually *like* it if he'd ID'ed it right. He's wayyy too wealthy for that. ;)

Throshkar peruses the armories briefly, finally coming upon a glowing, golden half plate set in the place of honor at the largest store in town. The fine metal is etched by a master craftsman, and the soft blue glow practically thrums with power.

Throsh looks it over carefully. He hardly nods at the armorer's request for 4,200 gold; clearly the price is no object. Finally, he inspects the inner lining of the armor -- at this, he instantly throws up his hands. "Bah! You think I would wear black satin?" He storms out of the building, leaving dropped jaws in his wake.

During the trip to the City of Freemen, Louis nods happily to Regis' questions of faithfulness. Deeper inspection shows the boy has little organized instruction, but follows the principles that his baker parents drilled into him as a youth. Some of what Throshkar has taught him as squire conflicts with these ideas, but Louis has not given it much thought.

At one point, Louis mentions to Regis that he has heard of a holy man who could speak to people he knew from leagues away. When Regis agrees that, yes, he can indeed do such a thing, Throshkar claps his hand to his chest.

"That would be a grand thing! Could you indeed speak to our friend Johnathan? You know his face -- tell him... ah, tell him, 'We've found the Prince! Going to City of Freemen for now, to establish a safe base and gather forces before returning to the manor. Last one there is an old man!!'"

He chuckles at the long-standing joke between the two cavaliers.

When the party arrives at the gates, Throshkar and Louis ride forward, Louis displaying his master's pennon. "Hail, good Freemen! Throshkar deLaBlanche and his companions greet you, and entreat you to grant us entry!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't buy anything beyond any necessities. Most of my leveling up is done.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-10 at 01:44 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

[OOC: I will continue on after everyone has posted here.]

Jonathon replies to your message, "Well met old man, I will meet you there as soon as my lady is ready to travel again. I fear she caught a bit of a chill"
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

During the travels Regis does his job as feeded and caretaker of the little band, keeping them dry, warm and fed with his little magics.

Throshkar's messages are transfered without issue.

At the gate Regis stands patiently, he simply ensures that his holy symbol is plainly visible.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, it's not quite rusting, it's just that the 'diamonds' or whatever are fake.

Adrian rolls his eyes when Throkshar makes his grand pronouncement at the gates. Then he flicks out his soft blue and, since he'd only had the one outfit, rather travel-worn coat, and makes a bow to the guards.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The guards make little notice of you except to open the large iron gate and in your general direction say, "Welcome weary traveler, we have but one law, do not take the freedom away from another." You can see a busheling city beyond the large gate. The guards make no other conversation nor do they respond to any questions when asked.

Where do you head?

[Knowledge Local/History DC 5]
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of freemen was founded by pirates centuries ago, since that time it has remained a controversial place. It has withstood many sieges from those who wish to change what the city stands for.

The city is based on the notion that everyone should be free to do as they please as long at it does not hinder the freedom of another. Wealth is something that is seen to be shared freely. If one feels oppressed by another it is not uncommon for them to react violently agents the oppressor. This violence does serve to offset the very principle for which this city was founded. Because of these two conflicting values, the city is is often in a state of balanced chaos with many factions or gangs competing for power. It is a place where many things can be found but also lost.

[feel free to share this information with the other players]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar bites his tongue hard at the guards' nonchalant greeting. The idea that he could not announce the prince himself was one thing -- that was a matter of royal security. But that these men would greet a cavalier of the king so blandly verged on dishonorable treatment. He coughs, shaking out his rough response and replacing it with a traditional Dwarven blessing: "May you find eternal veins of gold, friend!"

After the party makes its way through the gates and into the city proper, Throshkar declares with a lopsided grin, "Pirates. A great place to start a revolution, wouldn't you say, Pri--ah, Sir Manfred?"

"Where shall we go first? Food, lodging, friendship?"
    He winks at the latter. "We could go straight to the local chiefs and petition their support. The place is arrun with gangs and thugs, but I am sure the Prince's blessing would turn them around!"

"Else, we do need information. It has been long since I knew the state of our kingdom, and perhaps in a place like this they may know of the dark knights' origins...?"

Throshkar keeps his eye out for signs announcing tournaments or other similar activities that he would enjoy. Louis, meanwhile, gawks at the strange, rough men and women they pass by. His tight grip on Henri's leash tugs him this way and that as the dog lurches to the left, right, and forward. The hound's big wet nose sniffs at every nook and cranny he can reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Local:(d20+1)[9]

Options as I see them:
    1) Find an inn/tavern in order to:
    - Have a place to stay,
    - Begin hiring mercenaries to bulk up the team, and/or
    - Find jobs to bulk up our funds.
    2) Attract the attention of local leaders by:
    - Starting a fight (not honorable)
    - Simply asking around, or
    - Looking for obvious "mayoral" type locations.
    3) Gather Information via skill checks (I assume Adrian would do this well) about:
    - Dark knights
    - The status of the kingdom
    - Who would be supportive of our cause
    - Secure buildings/forts that we could obtain as a base
    - Any tournaments going on? (Throshkar would want to know)
    4) Oh, prostitutes, too.

I'm suggesting that Adrian goes info hunting, maybe with one of us to assist, while the others locate an inn and settle down.

Oh, and no offense meant about Adrian's sword from earlier, The_JJ.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-10 at 02:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Regis

First we go this away to a safe Inn that I know of. Well last I was here it was safe but that was quite a few years ago. Regis moves ponderously allowing those before him to move out of his way as he moves easily into the city. He heads for a large stone inn near to the main cathedral. Ahh, the Stone's Rest, let us see if this is still the fine establishment it once was.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm reaching a bit here but, Regis as a wide travellers would fairly know a great many places, and stayed in the worst and best of inn along the way.

I dis try to leave room for how the inn actually is now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian nods at the guards, and smiles. My kinda city.
    Well Sir Manfred. I think we need another suit of clothes for you. And myself, methinks, along with many other errands to run. I will meet you at the... Stone's Rest? Tonight, for dining.

Spoiler
    Show
    Options as Thoshkar see them:
    Know local. (1d20+8)[9] (for the history)
    Gather info: For where to buy stuff in the city:
    Check: (1d20+8)[24]
    Time: (1d4+1)[4]
    Gather info: Identifying power centers
    Check: (1d20+8)[10]
    Time: (1d4+1)[5]
    1) Find an inn/tavern in order to:
    - Have a place to stay,
    Okay
    - Begin hiring mercenaries to bulk up the team, and/or
    It's a good idea
    - Find jobs to bulk up our funds.
    I could make delicious baked goods. Or rob people...
    2) Attract the attention of local leaders by:
    - Starting a fight (not honorable)
    Bad idea.
    - Simply asking around, or
    I can do that.
    - Looking for obvious "mayoral" type locations.
    Probably won't help us too much in a city like this.
    3) Gather Information via skill checks (I assume Adrian would do this well) about:
    - Dark knights
    - The status of the kingdom
    - Who would be supportive of our cause
    - Secure buildings/forts that we could obtain as a base
    - Any tournaments going on? (Throshkar would want to know)
    I can do this...
    4) Oh, prostitutes, too.
    Adrian is the gentleman theif. He prefers charm. Devilish good looks. Black leather suits and romantic nighttime visits. (Over estimation of his good looks on that? Maybe, but I'd say a 13 CHA isn't bad.)
    5) Shopping around.
    On my list:
    Some discreet poisons. KO stuff. Darts and dinner for delivery.
    Another suit of cloths or so.
    A riding dog (Henri is a great idea, and my carrying load is tiny.)
    ???
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-12-10 at 05:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The cavalier prompts his steed to follow Regis' bulk through the crowds; the animal does so, careful to keep its wings from being bumped by the more seedy of the citizenry. When Adrian takes his leave, Throshkar nods politely and flashes his pearly teeth; deep in the recesses of his mind, a whisper of a thought burbles, suggesting that their companion may abscond into the alleys, never to return unless it is with soldiers seeking a prince's ransom... but the blond warrior hardly pauses over such a low thought of such an esteemed member of the halfling aristocracy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stone's Rest sounds great, and I'm glad one of us is establishing a history in the place! More I learn about it, the more I'm sure Throshkar would never have come here except under extraordinary circumstances.

I would love to see Adrian try to convince Throshkar and Louis -- and Henri! -- to let him train the dog as his mount. That'd be fun!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just going to buy one.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As you walk onto the stone streets you are greeted with cold faces as you clearly stick out as visitors to this city. After a few moments of walking you find the Stone's Rest with a large stables behind it. The inn keeper gives you a toothless smile as you enter and a stable boy takes the horses and the dog to the stables for a brush down. "I take it you are here for the night? Tis a two gold per room per night, there are two beds to a room."

Outside the inn you can see many shops, a dwarvin armorsmith's shoppe catches Throshkar's eye. You get the feeling that you will be able to get many things here at a fair price.

[OOC: All goods and services are at phb prices. You will have to search out any magical items you are interested in purchasing.]

[Adrian]
    Spoiler
    Show

Adrian you find out that the quarter where the Stone's Rest lies is a major hub of business. Most merchant shoppes have one or two guards standing at the doorways along with a few in the stores as well. However, for those who wish to bargain, the docks are a place where one can get some good deals if they do not end up feeding the fishes. Most thieving equipment is sold openly for reasonable prices.

You hear that many people have not been paying too close of attention to the happenings of your home town. However, you do know that the new king is raising an army which is helping the economy of that kingdom. There have been a few instances of Dark Knights coming to this town but they have not stayed long. Additionally, some of the old Cavaliers have taken up residence in a large warehouse in the dwarvin district. You get the feeling that this city is not one to take sides or even have much of an army let alone a police force.

If one wishes to fight, there is an arena where men can test their skills and wager money on the fights.

There are several factions competing for power in this area, the Dwarves, several seafaring groups, a militant human group, the merchants, and other smaller gangs. There is not open hostility on the streets but you can feel the tension.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The quoted price was somewhat less than what the nobleman was used to spending on a room, but he shrugged and agreed to the terms -- haggling was for merchants and other scum. If the beds were of insufficient quality, they would go elsewhere the next night, with none the wiser that a cavalier (and his prince!) had lowered himself to this station.

"That will do. Prepare us a fine lunch, to be taken in our rooms. And the stabling? The dog will stay with us, of course." He motioned to Arondight and Louis' small horse.

After Louis and Throshkar spend a few minutes ensuring the stablehands were familiar with caring for a cavalier's pegasus, the two head over to the Dwarven smithy. The boy grumbles briefly about resting after the road, but his master will have none of it.

"'Mong other things, you need to know more about armor -- these are the badges of greatness, signs of our strength, honor and courage. A man who walks on the battlefield lit with gold and shining with jewels -- he is a man that dares all others to come to him, to challenge his might and test their worth. Such a man is a true cavalier!"

He turns to the Prince and Regis. "Will you join us?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be going shopping once I decide what gear I want, and ask the smithy about local tournaments. How does "search for magic armor" work?

14. - Top - End - #14

Regis

Let us rest a moment and refresh our selves first my friend. Tin shingles ta hang off yer arse can wait a moment or two. You and your boy there both need a bath. As do I. After that and a night in a bed, I think we will be better suited to go about in town.
    Regis heads up stairs, wether Throsh follows or not, nodding to the innkeeper. Can ye send fer a barber, and send up a bath fer me?

Later cleaned, shaved, and fed. Regis will go out shopping with the boys, or if they are unavailable he will sit in the common room and listen to the goings on of the day.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar starts to glower at the tone the cleric takes with him -- clearly disregarding their relative status -- until the words sink in.

"Well... yes, that is true, holy man. Rudely spoken, but yes, true. Louis looks a ragged thing, and I doubt I myself present a proper face for my station. Louis, draw us a bath, and quick! I still want to tend to yon smithy before the sun sets, if we may."

While Louis runs off, Throshkar busies himself rubbing at newly-discovered spots and stains on his finely-made traveling clothes. He seems troubled by every little blemish and shadow...
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-11 at 04:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Regis

I was a simple son of a farmer once upon a time. You will find no disrespect meant in my words. Being a knight is a hard thing, and you drive your self and the boy hard, thats good sometimes, but sometimes its time to take a short rest before you push too far.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian tosses a coin thoughtfully, makes it disappear, and then walks into a tailor's shop near the inn. Might as well get the 'legitimate' concerns out of he way. I'd like another set of clothes. Green with red lining, blue embroidery. I'll pay half now. He let's himself get measured and then wanders down to a nearby stable, to see if anybody might cater to halfling riding needs.

Then he heads out to an area a little bit less high end to see if he can't rent a hole in the wall, no questions asked. He'd like to have a place to drop his less savory stuff and get out of this fancy wear before he went anywhere to low rent. People in fancy clothes mean defenceless money, and he's in no rush to get into that.

With the room rented (I'm assuming I can find something) Adrian goes back to the inn. Tommorow, I can go buy some poisons, maybe some darts. Just in case... Probably a good idea to buy a lock for the rented room. He strolls into the inn, and checks that Throshkar's not there. Definatly to exitable to tell anything to.

Once he can corner the prince, (Regis can listen in too, if he wants) Adrian lowers his voice. There are a few Cavaliers in the city. It'd be good to meet with them, but I don't recommend making direct contact. Those... Dark Knight fellows have been looking around too, and I wouldn't put it past them to put a watch over those Cavaliers. You wouldn't have, say, a signet ring or something we could us to prove you are here with out putting you in risk? Adrian does his best to act as if this sudden display of fact finding and espionage accumen was prefectly normal.

Then, duty done for now, Adrian decides to kick back, find a nice little (literally) halfling bakery with a cute waitress. Eat some food, kick back, and relax.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-12-11 at 06:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Over their meal, Throshkar grills the prince about his travels and his fighting style, beginning with, "Milord, may I ask -- it has not yet been my pleasure to witness your battle training, or even be privy to the styles in which you have been trained. Are you a warrior in the style of all cavaliers, or does your station provide you other options?"

He also asks what, if anything, the prince knows about the dark knights and his brother's goals, observing, "There was one of these men at my manor who seemed to literally disappear into the air -- not even into shadow, for it was full day, and yet Henri himself could not track him, not one whiff beyond where he stood. Have you any thoughts of where these men may have been born, and how your brother might have gained their alliance?"

He also presents Aseral with the locket and leather note that the party took from the body of his friend: "I am sorry, milord, for taking this, but we were unable to bury the man properly, and felt it better to bring it to you than let some merchant or other thief happen upon it. When that we are free to do so, I shall return to dig the grave myself. This I swear." Throshkar bows his head sadly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Glad I remembered to do this. And in case the discussion merits some rolls:

Diplomacy: (d20+4)[10]
    Gather Information: (d20+2)[15]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-11 at 07:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

[OOC: I lost my long post last night during the database backup because I went to bed leaving it on the webpage but my comptuer decided to update itself and restart after i went to bed ]

The prince nods at your request to you to shop for a few things.

Throshkar, you are greeted with the sound of metal being pounded on by hammers at the armor shoppe. The owner informs you that you can get magic infused armor for a price (10% more than DMG). The armorsmith also informs you that if you want to fight the arena is the place to go.

During your time out the prince answers your questions, "I am uncertain exactly who these dark knights are and where they are from. I know that my brother had contacts within the cavaliers but they could be from another realm. As with the special abilities of the knight that you encountered, I know that my father once had a mage who created some powerful items before he died in a magical explosion. They would be using those items.

As for training, I have had some training in swords, bows, and daggers but it was for for sport and less for killing a man. I think my track record for adventuring explains that too well."
    He glances at the items you took from his past party members. "I would appreciate your help burying my comrades in the spring if we are not burying more dead."

The prince nods at Adrian's request for his ring and takes it off a chain around his neck and hands it to Throshkar. "I agree, you must go without me to see if it is safe. Keep the ring with you from now on since you are now my protector. I also need to get some better armor for I am not good at keeping it up without a servant."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

After a long soak and a comfortable meal, the party sets out to the nearby armorer. Throshkar chats up the Dwarven smiths, broadly praising the work of Dwarves in general and this shop in particular. Finding what he sees on display satisfactory, the cavalier places special orders for a small buckler, circumscribed by glittering gemstones, as well as a full-plate set, masterfully done with silver- and gold-stained etching, lined with a mulberry satin and trimmed in gold.

Prying his cavalier's symbol from his old armor, where it hung loosely after their last battle, he asks the shop owner to install this just over the heart of his new armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kissing up to the armorsmith, to get better prices (on the magic, fancy stuff, or anything else) and select the best gear:
    Diplomacy: (d20+4)[18]
    Appraise: (d20+6)[9]
    I'm still deciding about the magic enhancement(s). If you want me to hurry up and decide, let's say just MW for now.

Throshkar shakes his head ruefully, slowly, at the Prince's suggestion that the dark knights are using magical objects to transport themselves.

"Mages," he opines, "are nothing but trouble, milord. I know they can be good men and women, and that the k-- your father, ah, he enjoyed their works. But in the end, all wizards meddle too much with the balance of the world, and are therein destroyed." A sad memory, or some passing regret, shadows his green-blue eyes for some time afterward.

Stirring himself from his reverie as they return to the tavern, Throshkar brings up with "Sir Manfred" and Louis (and Regis, if he is there) how impressed he is with the cleric's enchanted, full plate armor. He tries unsuccessfully to avoid criticizing its condition, lacking as it is in precious metals or gemstones; but he does manage focus on the "fundamental importance of armor as a badge of one's station," and how well Regis' cuirass, etc., does that.

Adrian finds the group back at the inn after their trip. He nonchalantly pulls Aseral and Regis aside while Throshkar is embroiled in explaining to his squire exactly how to set a finely detailed oak piece, in the shape of the cavalier emblazon, onto the boy's chain shirt. "This will show the world that you are a true servant of the king, and member of the highest class of warriors. You are a part of the Prince's Guard now, Louis, and you deserve to be called cavalier!"

When the Prince calls him over and passes him his ring, Throshkar kneels impulsively. "Upon the 'morrow, milord, we shall gather your men and let them all know your need." He cracks a broad smile, his eyes seeing glory in the local arena. "And at the field of honor, here, I shall vaunt the worth of your cause by my arm and my valor!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Regis
    and how well Regis' cuirass, etc., does that.
    No, this old tin shingle is just that, something to keep my heart inside my chesy and my guts in their place too. i've never understood you Cavaliers and your finery. Like that green set you looked at today, pretty 'nuff. Looked like it would pinch the nutt sack when yer walking though, thats no good.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar's eyes screw up inside his head, literally crossing as Regis' profane irreverence to armor-as-class enters his brain. He almost begins to snarl, but the man just can't bring himself to get upset. Finally, he laughs at the absurdity of it all.

Besides, he bellows cheerfully, "You remind me of my old sergeant!" He then proceeds to describe in detail the antics of the former chief of the castle guard, a crusty, world-weary man with a taste for mead and brutally colorful insults.

"In any case, I wish my armor to protect my guts just as well as you. But if it show not to my enemies on the field of battle my worth as a man and a warrior, then how, I ask you, are they to choose me as their target above the many others who heft shield and sword?" It is a rhetorical question, with only one answer in Throshkar's mind.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-12 at 05:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian nods. I'm not to trusted. Just as well. 's good to have everybody paranoid. That's why I didn't want to let the mucsle in on it, after all. To worried about his honor to be careful. To worried about his honor to be treacherous, though.

Tommorow, I think, we should meet with the Cavaliers. But, uh, Throshkar, being so famous as you are, it might be best if you rode under the vergescu. Now, apologies, but I'd like to go find a good halfling kitchen to make my dinner.

24. - Top - End - #24

Regis

Why on earth would I want my 'enemies' to find me before they found anyone else on the battle field!? Thats sownright stupid. My job on the battle field is to carry healing and protection to you idiots who insist on using a giant shiv to make a decision with. Yes, I do use a mace to defend my self, but how many times have I actually hit someone with it ? Regis is smailing and chuckling at the debate about the meaning of armor with his friend.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Ah, and that, good man, is why you are not covered in the glory of man and god." Throshkar shakes his head ruefully. "By seeking the greatest warriors to battle, I test my self and my worth. Ah... I suppose, as a cleric, there may be other paths to glory for you. Perhaps."

"In any case -- Louis!" He waves his squire over from the corner where Henri was, where he had wandered during the genial debate. Henri's happy growls could be heard as he gnawed on a bone from the kitchen. "Louis, see here the difference in the path of the cavalier and the holy man. We seek renown and honor for the greatness of the kingdom; men such as Regis exist to aid us in our calling. We must not look down on them that they themselves seek not glory. The Lord wills it to be this way, that only the best of men -- such as us -- may rise to the pinnacle of all."

As the discussion died down -- or perhaps as interruption to calm things down -- Adrian stepped in to suggest that, "But, uh, Throshkar, being so famous as you are, it might be best if you rode under the vergescu."

Throshkar had to explain to Louis the meaning of the term vergescu: "It is as if I were to go to battle in my new armor without my emblazon, my..." His eyes lit up with inspiration. For a moment, his mouth worked silently as Adrian made his farewells.

"Ah--ah-- of course! Halfling, yes! Enjoy your meals, but be careful, Monsieur De Gra. Ah, we wouldn't wish to find you in the cave of another dragon, now would we? Ha!" Throshkar turned excitedly to Louis, Regis, and Aseral.

"What an excellent idea! It shall be as a test of mine new arms -- I shall go to the coliseum vergescu, and we shall learn whether they draw the proper attention as a great cavalier's armor should."

"Louis, quick to the armorer's -- I wish for an additional blessing upon my plate, something that will make it truly glow vibrant and good. And have them hold placing mine symbol upon the breast. Go, go!"

Spoiler
    Show
    What are the value of the gems in this town? Unchanged?

I'll go ahead and pay for the +1. That's an extra (1,000 * 10%) * 20% for fancy = 1,320gp. Probably not a great meta decision, but it fits Throsh, especially that 8 WIS of his.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-13 at 11:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so here is what I've bought and added/subtracted from my sheet:
    one amazing lock -150 gold
    one coutier's outfit -30 gold
    one riding dog -150 gold
    saddle -30 gold (won't be using this much)
    saddlebags -4 gold (a must)
    spare room in which to store all my roguey stuff -5 silver a day (use the common inn listing since I'll be paying for privacy)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

You send the morning and afternoon shopping and plotting your next step in a pub down the street from the inn. As you sit around a round table in the back of the pub, discussing your plan of action for approaching the cavaliers in the dwarvin district, a pale freckled red haired man wearing an awkward dark green and blue silk robe approaches your table and whispers something into the princes ear. The prince recoils as if he is uncertain how to react to this individual. The prince responds to the group after a moment of silence where you are uncertain if you should grab your sword, ""This is Egan Braache, a mage who worked for my father. It sure has been a while since I have last seen you Egan. What have you been up to? What do you know of my father's death?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Until the prince reacted, Throshkar thought the man was simply one of the town's odd pharmacologists or alchemists, trying to sell his likely-illegal wares in an illicit fashion. He had no doubt they had nothing to fear from the corrupting influence of such mercantile scum. When Aseral started as if slapped, however, Throshkar leapt to his defense. Any challenger, frail or mighty, would have to pass through him...

Only Aseral's silence stayed the cavalier's hand. His words, though calming, were also disquieting. A mage who worked for the late king...? Could he have been involved in his death? Or the powers of the dark knights?

Throshkar waits for the man to respond to his prince; once Aseral gives him the nod, he introduces himself; the halfling aristocrat Adrian da Gra;
    his squire Louis von Koch; their compatriot holy man Regis; and, of course, Henri. Once introduced, the dog snuffs about the man's robes, fascinated by the many odors therein. He sneezes loudly once, twice, and then backs away, irritated by the itch in his canine nose.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-16 at 04:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian flips the silverware in his hand end over end as he decides what to do with this new information. Then he speaks up. He's knows you, obviously. We'll have to keep him around. We could use the power I suppose. He came up to us instead of turning us over which makes him trustworthy. Unless he already turned us over and is merely confirming that we're in here for the heat. Adrian checks the exit and slides a hand to the hilt of his rapier. I say we get you back to your rooms, Your Majesty, and leave Henri and Louis there to protect you while we make contact with the cavaliers.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan bows somewhat awkwardly to the entire table and presents a warm smile. "Greetings to each of you, and especially to you, Sire," he completes with a slightly deeper bow to the prince, trying not to pull too much attention to the table. "Well met, Sir DeLaBlanche. And, I am honored by your begrudging acceptance Sir Halfling Adrian. I do intend to stay around." Egan nods to Regis and Louis and smiles once again.

He finds a seat around the far side of the table and continues, "Before I tell you of my journeys, please permit me a bit of suspicion first. Please comment on Throshkar's splendid new armor for a moment." Egan dives a hand into his robes and pulls it back out holding a small bauble and begins a discrete chanting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Egan will cast Detect Scrying to make sure noone is watching the prince and his companions.
    -- 24h, 40ft. radius
    Assuming he finds nothing he will continue.

"I apologize for the rudeness, but I will explain now. Since I last saw you, young prince, I have been traveling for some time, expanding my horizons and my customers. However, I have never forgotten the kindness of your father, so I have checked in on you and your family from time to time, each time that I was away. I would tell you more of my travels if there were time, however I will continue to the important parts for now. I cannot confirm the circumstances of your father's passing, but as soon as I learned of it, I became concerned for your safety. This concern increased as I was not able to find you for several days. In fact, I must thank and congratulate Throshkar on his diligence in finding you safely. Your father's signet ring, is something that I have carried myself before when commanding the armory for a commission in his name. So, being familiar with it, I found it an easy anchor to follow in the quest for your safety and your travels to the City of Freemen. Which brings us to the present. My casting here was to verify that no others are trying to watch you or find you. Sire, you know my feelings toward your family. I have sought you out to offer my assistance if you so choose this course of action."

Egan stretches back in his chair for a moment, allowing everyone to soak in his short tale. "Kaylee and I have been waiting here for you. And now that we are united, how may I be of service? I have noticed some of the cavaliers that Adrian mentions coming to the city, but I do not know how many of them that I trust yet. I would use caution when approaching them."
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2008-12-16 at 11:02 PM.