New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Before leaving the underfort, Adrian searches around and finds no other traps or creatures. The three of you gather up the treasure and hall it up the ladder and into the small room.

The cool air greets your face as you return to the surface and you quickly forget how awful the fort smelled below the surface. You can see the two prisoners sleeping in the long grass with trail rations still gripped in their hands. Louis is standing nearby practicing with his sword. Regis is a ways a way as well. The horses and the Pegasus are quietly eating grass and the dogs are laying in the sun nearby quietly sleeping after sniffing every smell they could find.

In examining the greatsword, Throshkar can tell that the blade is of exceptional quality. The masterworker who created this sword put a lot of time and effort into its construction. By the quality of the blade, it would be no surprise if it were magical.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2009-02-04 at 01:53 PM.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+4)[17]

At the knight's request, Egan begins to examine the statue. For good measure he throws in a Detect Magic spell to look things over. He smiles to himself when he notices the crafters mark along the bottom back of the bear. "No religious idol would have that mark." He looks over the rest of the room and treasure with his spell before informing Throshkar, "That is no religious idol, other than what the superstitious lycanthropes had made it. It is no threat to us. This treasure will do well to replenish some of our supplies and prepare for what is ahead. I could use to replace some spell components."

Egan helps bag up the treasure and comments when everyone is leaving, "I am happy to leave here for the night, but we should check the rest of that structure tomorrow. I don't like the thought of those prisoners up there with only Regis and Louis. They should be checked over to make sure they are not diseased." Egan starts to wonder about when the next full moon cycle is.
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2009-02-04 at 08:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian comes to the surface. All clear and ready for habitation. Now, let's get this filthy lucre to town and turn it into proper spoils of war!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

Regis stands clear in teh daylight, his armor off and being cleaned. His hands are busy with water oil and a rag. He sees teh others emerge from the dungeon and simply waits. He sits on a fallen stone looking calm and relaxed again, the fury and anger gone.

If they look his way he will lift his chin in recognition. The sack of loot from the lycathropes stash sits out in front of the 20 foot round stone teepee he is sitting in front of. A small fire is laid out in front of him and a tin teapot is sitting next to that. Steam rising. I've got some tea hot if ya like. He calls to them.

Sir De la Branche, I'd like a moment, if you will spare me one. I have news from your prince.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

Greatsword strapped to his back, Throshkar drops the last of the treasure before him. He looks over at Regis, who thrusts out his chin in greeting and offers them tea. The man is nonchalant, as though abandoning his party beneath the earth was an everyday occurrence.

"Yes, if you please. A gracious offer -- I thank you," Throshkar calls back. It would not do to be rude. Watching the cleric working on that magnificent set of full plate brought to mind his mentor's voice: "There are times, Throshkar, when armor is a better judge of a man's quality than his own words." Was this such a time?

Walking closer, he remembers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Watching Regis summon his divine powers, Throshkar smiles. "I mean you no offense, to be sure, but I ask that you keep your healing and such between yourself and the others, if you don't mind. Much as I appreciated your casting aside the poisons within me, I prefer to keep my strength my own." Throshkar nods and thanks the stout man warmly for understanding his position.

"If you want it to be that way, that's fine. Understand that I will not let you die if I can help it. The good lord wants us to live full and happy lives and has given the power to those like me to assist that will. I understand your need to keep your strength, but I'll not let you bleed out when a tiny spark of divine might can keep that from happening."

"But you can take that up with me after it happens, if it happens. For now let us enjoy the warmth and quietude of the cabin."
    Regis slides over to a side wall and closes his eyes, letting the sounds of the weather and the night carry him to sleep.

Throshkar smiles genuinely at Regis' response to his request. "Thank you. I have no more desire to die early than you, I'm sure, good Regis. I just hold myself to certain levels of honor, and that includes standing on my own feet and not that of another. After the battle is over, I will be more amenable to receiving your gifts, but amidst the glory and the gore -- well, I hope to achieve glory by my own hand." He shrugs. He does not seem especially passionate about the matter, but it clearly is an issue of honor for him.

'Why did he break his promise? Shall he prove false evermore? And -- did he just call Aseral "your" Prince? Is his loyalty to justice and the crown fading already?' He squirms, but then another memory rises:

Spoiler
    Show
    Throshkar eyes Regis a bit suspiciously when the man touches him. The healing power was unmistakable. And it was certainly more help than he'd wanted. But the battle with the ogre mage was done, and speeding them along to the next moment of glory, achievements only Throshkar and his righteous strength could accomplish -- that surely made it a more noble deed. It was not reliance on others to do so, the cavalier told himself; this was not a sign of weakness, but an extra opportunity to show his greatness.

'He waited until after the battle's conclusion to heal me then, as I'd asked. What was the difference this day, that he would cast other spells 'pon me before the battle had e'en begun? And... still I am in his debt. He cast off the spider's poison, and then he saved Louis' life. To take his, in challenge... hm.'

"I thank you, Bi--Regis. Heard you the Prince's words?" Throshkar is stiff, but he's trying. Louis comes over to help the knight remove his plate as they talk; Henri keeps his distance, sensing his master's discomfort.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Regis find some other loot??
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-05 at 05:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276

Regis

In my anger I sent him a message he told me he would be here in the next day or two. I reget that it was sent in anger.

There is the bag of gold we picked up in the lycanthropes room.
    He points at the sack they had recently pulled out of the wall below them.

I need you to decide something in the next day. I am willing to continue on this quest. But you need to figure out if I am worth having around, and if so ... can you treat me and the others as equals?

Let there be leaders and kings, great men and weak men.
    All are made in my image, and all of my blood.

Regis quotes scripture at the knight before continuing. The only one who commands me is the Lord of the Road, the Highest King, the Almighty. Not you, or the prince. This is a holy mission, that, I can feel in the very bones that support my flesh. I cannot break my vows and allow someone to fall, cannot! You need to think about that too.

He says as an aside, you and the others are more than welcome to share my little ... hut. Its not much but it will be better than being out in the weather. He looks up at the knight awaiting the knights decision.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2009-02-05 at 01:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

Throshkar smiles. The fall in the trophy room had done him good. The laughter -- he'd been too serious as of late. And ungracious.

"That you think I wish my allies to fall... ah! I rue that I have not made myself clear, holy man. Your powers are significant, and greatly needed by the Prince and all his allies -- you are surely 'worth having around'! Let me say again: You are a worthy ally, Regis of the Longroad, and I would not that any of us, e'en myself, fall when we could be saved."

"But equals? Ha! Would you treat me an equal in holiness? You'd be a fool! I am a church-goer, as all good noblemen are, but I know less about God than you about horsemanship!" His smile opens wider. "By God's teeth, we are not equals! I cannot bring a man back from the halls of death! Yet in each of our battles, it is I who brought down our greatest foe in the end. Our skills may balance, they may each have a vital purpose -- by the sun, you may e'en prove more useful to the Prince, man, and God, than I! But I'd not trade with you for anything. You have not my class, position, or honor." 'And I care not if these are nothing to you, you pompous Bishop...'

Throshkar shakes his head, discarding the uncouth thought. His genial smile holds wide. "If you wish equality, you had best have another life before you. I treat only the best cavaliers and noblemen as my equals." His tone grows a bit serious: "I have not your talents, but neither do I accept a man's honest request and then without a word make the oath a lie. If you wish better treatment, start you there: with respecting another man's wishes. Then mayhap we shall see."

Seating himself across from the cleric, Throshkar folds his hands, almost in prayer, and says earnestly: "Now, tell me how I have broken mine oath with you, or harmed you. If I have, I know it not, and I desire to make recompense. If thou wishes, I'll e'en listen to thy arguments for magical support in battle... so long as you stand by a promise to honor my wishes in the end."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, right, that loot.

8. - Top - End - #278

Regis

I did say I would not heal you in battle, I never said anything about not giving you magical support. There you have me maligned. As for the healing you got in this last battle, it was that or allow the chance for saer Adrian to be torn asunder by another of the beast's blows. I could not reach him and the only way to heal him was to heal all of us. In that sort of situation I cannot exclude you without you being mine enemy. The Power that is Regis opens his palms and glances skyward has decreed that we priests can heal an individual with a touch or all of our allies.

How you have harmed me. More like how you have harmed yourself. Your honor and noble blood are good and nice things, but they do not make those around you beneath you. As for your swordsmanship and skills at a horse, they may be great but they are nothing before the Lord. You words are as dust in my mouth, a passing breeze in my ears. Do you not understand what I am trying to say!? You treat everyone of common blood as mear dirt beneath you boots. Is that how you really think of a baker who bakes your bread, a farmer who raises your steak dinners!? Everytime you speak to me in your flowery words and high speach, looking down your nose at me and everyone around you, you shame the very name of "cavalier!"

I know this argument pisses you off. But here on the open road, in the wide air of the world, you are in my church and in my church I am the pastor. I know for a fact from watching your eyes and face that words like I have spoken to you in the past few days prick you like burrs. I can lay aside my anger and move ahead. But I will not stop trying to teach you.

As for using magics as an assist in a battle. It is just another tool. The same as the sword on your back. You may not be able to touch it with the smithy's hammer but it is the same. You would fight a man bare chested with your fists if that was what you honor demanded. But what about a great scaly terror that weilds magics of its own? It has no honor, but there is no glory or honor in fighting it on its terms. Making yourself its equal by using the tools that are freely given, or paid for,
    he says knocking on his breastplate so that you can defeat it will only bring you more glory and honor.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

Having loosened his wrist straps, Throshkar flips his hand upward, his gauntlet coming free into the air for several inches. He catches it with a clank, then loosens his other gauntlet. "Yes, yes. I said it moments ago: 'As for the spell you used to heal Sir Da Gra, I shall be as a Cavalier, and gracious in my trust. It is fine, it is of no matter.' I care not of that."

"But you indeed said you would leave me pure of magics 'midst battle, except to save the spark of mine life. Do not claim now to have not broken thy word!"
    The cavalier snorts with gentle sarcasm, then shrugs lightly, enjoying the freedom of his limbs. Louis scurries away with his armor.

"As far as I can tell, aught that I have done is hurt your feelings. You wish me to live my life as you do, and you would abandon what you call God's work because I reject it. I know not what kind of man you are, to be true: e'en a peddler hath more spine than that."

He raises his open palms with another shrug. "But, you will not listen to me. Your faith fills your ears and blinds you to any other man's road." 'Whether he be your better or no...'

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, Regis did say he would avoid boosting or healing Throsh:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=185
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-05 at 05:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280

been trying to post this all day!

Regis

There you have me maligned, I said I would not heal you, not that I would not armor you in the power of the Lord. Using magics as you use your armor and sword brings no dishonor. Sure, fight a man one to one, but a beast that weilds natural magics as if they were a part of its skin without magical support? I cannot understand that. if a drake threatened us, the only way we could win through a battle like that would be to use all of our magics and the strength of your arms, in combination. That would bring great honor and glory, not dieing like dogs because you deny the powers that are freely and generously given.

I am a man of the Lord. That is all. I walk my road and I understand that my road is not for everyone, everyone can learn from it. As I can learn from everyone elses own road. I am no coward to have left you down there, only one who sought not to try and strike out at you in my anger. There are few times whn my anger masters me like it did below. Those few times it shows its face it is fierce. That is one of the many reasons why I walk the Long Road and have not settled into a stationary life. I have no doubt that a battle between us would have ruined the mission of the prince, in my rage I still recognized that, and that it was time for me to remove myself lest my rage overcome me. I am no craven, I still have a mind to challenge you to single battle.

But let us make peace, we can argue ourselves in circles as men and not as beasts.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

The cavalier crosses his arms. Silence falls as Regis' words breeze through his mind. 'What does he think "I prefer to keep my strength my own" means? Bah! Wheedling his way out of a promise duly made just like any common merchant! No wonder he swears no fealty to king and country. An oath from such a one has no virtue in any case.'

'Victory over magical beast and man only holds value when accomplished through strength of arms, not by means of trickery or spell. But he would understand it not. He is a commoner, after all, and would surely choose dishonor before death. As would they all, I begin to suspect. Still. They and he remain of use to the Prince. I'll not let him dishonor me, but neither will I discard him or destroy him.'

Breaking from his reverie, Throshkar speaks: "Let us end the argument then. You knew not the fullness of my request, you say. Well, know it now. I wish not the assistance of any magics when I fight mine enemy. I care not whether you understand this -- simply agree to do as I wish. Rescue me from death as you will; but if you cast your magics 'pon me again, before or amidst battle, you will find them wasted. Should we be so honored to fight a great drake or other mighty beast, then indeed, cast thy spells 'pon the creature -- just not upon me."

He looks over to Egan to confirm the mage also heard his request. He resists rolling his eyes in the direction of the cleric, but the thought probably comes through anyway; realizing this, Throshkar attempts to soften his tone to both men with an open, not-quite pleading, "Please?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm afraid all this has strengthened what was originally Throshkar's inclination into an ideal for him. It's going to take time to move him now -- and maybe some deft lies from Egan about these kinds of magics needing the target to be honorable or strong to be most effective. After all, right after "Death Before Dishonor" comes "Personal Glory"!
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-06 at 04:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan standing nearby and watching the interchange acts surprised by Throshkar's engagement of him. "I did not know that this argument included me." He pauses pensively for a moment to consider the words. "I do not know if I can comply with this request. I believe that I would like to, but do not know if it is in my power. To do so I fear I must demand that you relinquish your weapons for inspection, for as the good King's charge, my magics may have enhanced their power. I do not want to circumspectly violate your demands. I do not, however, require your armor, for I know that its arcane enchantment was bestowed in the City of Freemen, and not by me. But I may require you to fly your badge of hypocrisy when you wear it." All of this said lightly, he stops to consider his next words.

"Here is my main contention. Whether my magics prepare a warrior in the armory, in the pavilion, or on the battlefield, and they have done each, they still be good and honorable. You impugn me and my honor to say otherwise. They each be a tool. It is not the tool that is evil or dishonorable, but the user or wielder. The action taken with the tool merits judgment upon the user. Do you blame the sword when a black knight uses it to fell a widow defending her farm? If you ask me to forestall any aiding arcane magics upon you then you also tell me that you believe that you lack the honor and self control to use them wisely, and I must consider this. After you have considered this, I would ask you to confirm it again, because, and I do not say this lightly, but without the magical protection that I placed upon you in that battle below, I believe the strength of the blows from that beast below would have finished you."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian watches the argument from the corner of his eye as he sifts through the take. He is bored now. The way he sees it, Throshkar will come around to thier point of view or he wouldn't but he'd made his case.

Now he stood, went over to Louis and thanked him for keeping track of his dog, and then helped him divide the teams earnings between Louis' saddlebags. Rule Twenty Eight, equal shares for the inside men, the roofwalkers, the vaultbusters, and the muscle, half share to the getaway horsemen, and the fence gets to skim at least 1 percent, but no more than 10. He who found the job gets a double share.

Alright, to the city then. I've got some pretty lasses waiting eagerly for my return.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

"I -- do not see it, not that way." His eyes look away, off for understanding... but he finds nothing. "My weapons are fine. But magic... it...." 'What do I say? It is not just a tool... it is not an honorable method of battle... not for me.'

'Is it?'

Throshkar stands, waving off the tea and the discussion. His tone struggles for dignity. "It is my wish. Please, obey my wishes." The cavalier turns to go, then glances back, his voice dropping. "... for now."

He strides off to his tent, bellowing, "Louis!"

Louis bows to Adrian hurriedly. "Thank ye sir, thank ye!" and scrambles after his master. His healer's kit is already in his hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, you stumped him good. I thought about really getting into it, but I think this makes more sense. He's not sharp enough to keep riposting this way.

I just realized I could have used my Healer's Kit to take care of the spider's poison. Oops! Anyway, I'll use the kit (1st use) to double Throshkar's healing tonight. That'll bring him up to 64 HP.

EDIT: Just re-read the Heal page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/heal.htm) and realized this requires a DC15 roll for both nights. I'll have Louis Aid Another to give an extra +2 to the check if successful.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-08 at 11:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

The party spends the afternoon tending to their wounds and resting. The rest of the fort area seem unexciting, the other building are in states of disrepair. So much so that most do not have roofs or the majority of the walls. One area appears to be a place where some travelers made camp months ago. After a warm supper of stew and panfried bread each of you head off to bed.

In the morning, you awake with the smell of fresh coffee and pots and pans banging. You stumble from your tent (or tepee) to see the two merchants making breakfast. "I hope ye do not mind us cooking your breakfast. We appreciate your saving us from the pits of death." Any mild irritation is quickly washed over after you try their breakfast. It seems they were able to find some fresh ingredients, like eggs, and mixed with some native potatoes made a wonderful tasting breakfast. One of the men smiles, "I am glad you like it." As he scoops another handful of food into his mouth.

The day passes quickly as you explore the area and get a feel for the land. By midday you realize that you all have become so busy with your activities that you have hardly spoke with each other. By evening you relax together and have a few laughs over old stories as you share a small barrel of dwarvin ale.

The next morning after breaking the fast, you start to gather up your supplies and start to argue over the next course of action when Louis, who was out on patrol, comes riding fast into the camp. "Me Lord, Me Lord! He exclaims nearly falling off his horse, "the Prince is nearly here. I saw his small army moving this way. I could clearly see his banner. He should be here within the hour." You all look to each other and prepare for the reunion with your future king.

After a short hour, the prince and a small army of warriors, horsemen, builders, stonemasons, and many others come upon the fort. The prince dismounts and address the party. "Well met friends. I bring with me help and arms for our future. So tell me of your accomplishments and any problems that have occurred since we last spoke." The prince looks at Regis as the last words come from his mouth.

[ooc: you guys will have some time to buy/sell stuff before the next chapter starts. I want to finish this chapter before that time.]
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Long-Term Care (DC 15):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Aid Another doesn't get +2 for the Healer's Kit...

Louis' Aid Another, night 1: (d20-1)[5]
    Louis' Aid Another, night 2: (d20-1)[1]
    If successful, add +2 to below rolls...

Throshkar's Heal check, night 1 (+2 for kit): (d20+3)[4]
    Throshkar's Heal check, night 2 (+2 for kit): (d20+3)[8]

Aaand they suck! Throshkar only gains 22 HP for the two nights, practically injuring himself further on the first night. His next skill points are going into Heal...!
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-08 at 11:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287

Regis

Spoiler
    Show
    The day the merchants are there Regis will make sure they do not have Lycanthropy via Remove Disease and Remove Curse.

Regis bows deeply to the prince Everything has been readied for you arrival sir. All of the minor issues have been smoothed over. I think it will take some time to rebuild this site but I will endeavor to assist as best I can. He steps away from the others with a small smile on his face.

18. - Top - End - #288

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

As Throshkar rises to leave, Egan lets the matter drop. At least he is willing to learn. A man is dead without that.

Egan pushes his time into the study of the objects that were found and searching the surrounding areas for material components. Kaylee and Egan wander off for a few hours at a time and return with a few bits that seen worthless to everyone else, such as a cow dung patty or a broken piece of iron. During any free time that Louis has, he finds the boy's curiosity invigorating, and spends time teaching him small things, such as the reason for his spell components, the rise and fall of the sun in the sky during the year, or just telling him stories about Kaylee or the old King. I did not realize I would miss having a student. When his mind needs the change he looks through the keep wondering how it could be used to serve an army, even a small one.

When spending time with Regis, if the subject of the sitting debate arises, Egan tries to encourage the priest. "I believe his logic may undo his resolve."

Egan joins everyone for the reception as the Prince arrives. Egan bows his head in respect. "It is good to see you leading the column, Prince. I will let Throshkar and Regis deliver the reports."
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2009-02-08 at 10:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

Waking with cricks in his back, Throshkar is delighted to see the merchants filling their natural role: to serve their betters. The world is right again! He clucks happily at their terrible table manners, and has Louis provide proper silverware for the party.

"Mmm -- an excellent field breakfast. You have found your true calling, men. Something to take you away from the corrupting influence of trade!" The cavalier digs in, while his squire questions them on their methods... and their names, too!

Throshkar spends the days throwing himself into the most honorable, knightly activities he can think of; he also clears the fort of corpses and trash. When Louis shows an interest in Egan's lectures, rather than dissuade the boy as he might have before, he encourages it, going so far as to have him recite to him what he's learned each day -- though only in their tent, and quietly, with the flap closed tight.

In that final hour, he prepares for Aseral with as much pomp and circumstance as he can manage, getting Arondight, Louis, and himself into full dress. His report to the Prince is full of flourish and pride, emphasizing of course his own glorious actions against the "lie-can-throops", but also praising the work of his allies, especially the king's own wizard and the noblest representative of the halfling race. From his speech, you might never know of the party's little conflict earlier. You might also wonder if Regis ever lifted a weapon, though his healing powers receive their full and bounteous due.

Throshkar commends the men they rescued for a post in the Prince's kitchens before taking him on a tour of the site. If the Prince asks again if there have been any problems, Throshkar shrugs. "Oh, Louis nicked himself shaving this morn, and the cooks once were merchants and so require rehabilitation... but these and other trivialities? They require not even a superior officer's attention, let alone that of his Royal Highness, milord!"

Spoiler
    Show
    A wrap-up was easier than writing it out in speech. Let me know if you want more from Throshy to the Prince.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-09 at 11:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

The prince smiles at your reports. "I am glad that things are in order. Let us get to rebuilding this fort." He starts to command men to start unloading their equipment and looks up to Throshkar to start setting up sweeps of the area and guard patrols.

End of chapter 2

[OOC: Please level up your characters to level 12. You have a few months buy/sell equipment and get other things you need.]

Chapter 3