New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

Egan Brahe

Egan cups his sleeve over his mouth at first to ward off the stench.

"Well, men? Anything interesting in there? Anything alive needs killing?"

"It be the foul smell of death and decay. We should care to the animals and prepare before venturing in there." Egan looks for a pasturing area for his horse and hobbles him appropriately. Setting his saddle and saddlebags aside, he packs a light travel pack. "Can Henri or Louis watch the horses?"

"There is quite a bit of bones about here. I know not enough about the animals to say if this activity is recent or old. About the only unknown I can see is that pile of rubbish inside the room. We may learn more about activity here by kicking through that a bit, though I'm not sure I'd volunteer for that work. Yes, Kaylee, I'm sure we do need to go in there. The prince has charged us to prepare this area." Although the look on Egan's face doesn't carry the conviction of his statement.
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2009-01-05 at 05:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92

SwashbucklerGuy

(( Sorry, browser errors produced a double post. ))
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2009-01-05 at 05:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian swallows as he enters the room, and certain thoughts catch up with him. Now here's a question. One, how do bones with rusting armor end up out here. No time, or survivors to bury the dead, see? And those bones? Still got meat on them. He, well aware of potential hiding places, fires into the rubbish heap.

Spoiler
    Show
    My first attack roll!
    (1d20+13)[21]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Louis takes Egan's horse with a practiced hand. He guides the animal over to a flat patch where the pegasus has already been relieved of its larger burdens. Together the equine go to town on stray weeds and dandelions within their reach. Arondight, of course, is much more loosely tied, so that he can come to Throshkar's call at a moment's notice.

Once the animals are taken care of, Louis sets the bastard sword he received from Johnathan onto the growing pile of equipment and hefts Regis' old light mace. "Dinna worry 'bout yer horse, Master Wizard. I kin take care a' dem," he offers with a lopsided grin. The boy flexes his muscles, eagerly aware of how they've grown in recent months.

Hearing the twang of Adrian's crossbow, Throshkar twirls from his vantage point at the cliff's edge and breaks into a run back toward the building. "Hail! Da Gra! What see you?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Without double-quotes or being in bold, I can't tell if Adrian's "thoughts catching up to him" were spoken aloud or not. Not an issue for me in this case, but it could be in future posts.

Secondly, if the fort was abandoned long ago, then corpses with blood pooling are certainly not ours... could be travelers, squatters, kidnap victims...?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Adrian's bolt clatters into the pile of rubbish going through an old barrel and fines a resting point somewhere inside the pile but only after clattering on the floor. Nothing seems to move in the room except for some of the disturbed dust that was covering the pile.

If you get closer to the bones inside the room you notice that many are old but some are new. There is rotting meat on some of the bones which may be as recent as a few weeks or as old as several months. A few cockroaches seems to be feeding on some of the meat and scatter if you get close. The piles of liquid might have been the result of a recent rain or a creature releasing itself of a full bladder.

The room is filled with odd colored molds which are most likely the result of the standing water pools inside of this room. Looking around you can see how water could get trapped here when the rain/snow falls. As your eyes adjust you can also see large scratch marks in the stone walls. Scratch marks also lie on and around the trap door on the floor.

[OOC: please tell me where you are standing/moving for each post. If you do not mention it I will assume you are in the same position.]
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian sighs, reloads, and puts away his left hand crossbow. It's nothing Throsh. Just this place getting to me. He walks over to the trap door. Ready?

Spoiler
    Show

This is the speaking. and this is thinking.

I'll be at H4.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Laying a gauntleted hand on the rotted door frame, Throshkar nods. "We reclaim this structure in the name of our lord and future king, Prince Aseral," he says, but the words do not carry his usual pomp. He seems distracted.

The tall man strides into the room, his well-oiled armor shifting almost silently as he does. With only a little flourish, he draws his sword and waits for Adrian to open the trap door. Should any threat appear, he will attack it immediately.

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot you can move double when you run, which is what Throsh was doing earlier. So he ended last post back in I8, and now enters the room to I5. Henri moves to I9. Throsh readies an attack on any obvious threat.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-06 at 11:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan had stepped inside the building to see what Adrian was shooting at, but now looks anxious as things have unfolded. With Throshkar standing in the door, and everyone looking very serious about the trap door, Egan takes a couple of steps back and casts a quick spell. "<Mage Armor>".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's say F6.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Egan Brahe| Human | Wizard (Diviner) | LVL 11 | NG | Medium
    hp: 41/41 | | Spd: 30' | AC/T/FF | 17/16/15 | Bracers (+1)/Spell
    QuarterStaff (MW) | +5 | 1d6-1 | Dagger | +7 | 1d4-1
    SV | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Wil +8 | |
    STR 8 | DEX 14 | CON 13 | INT 19 | WIS 12 | CHA 10
    Skills | Spot +3 | Listen +3 | Concentration +15 | Spellcraft +18 |
    Skills | Know: Arcana +18 | Know: Geography +12 | Know: Nobility +12 | | [/table]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Wait, he wants me to open it? Who's wearing the tin can here? Ah well... Adrian glances at the wizard and then does his best to lift the door with his left hand, while his right keeps the crossbow pointed at anything that might come up.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

As Adrian opens the trap door it squeaks against his pull, coming up easily as rotting wood chucks fall into the gaping hole. The stench of decay is strong from lower room and you feel a little sick from the smell.

[OOC:What is your light source? I am going to assume that you are using something as you look down the hole]

The [insert light here] barely illuminates the lower room from your vantage point in the upper room. You can see there is more rubbish below with several small rats climbing around in the garbage and eating something. You see no other movements beyond the rats in the lower room.

What do you do?
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be using the handy dandy whatever the heck my comerades are using to see. Every tried being sneaky while holding a torch? Adrian has, once. It didn't work.

A challenge! Wish I'd brought my rope now. Ugh. Adrian peers about for a bit. Hold that light up. Hmm... I'll go get some rope, be right back. Adrian bustles off to Bandit and shortens he leash by half (50 ft.) Then he passes one end to Throsh, takes the other, and starts going down.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

Regis pulls an everburning torch from his pack, the light illuminating their way down. He slides it between his shield and the arm holding it That'll do. the pressure between his arm the the back of the shield holds it in place. The holds his holy symbol in his main hand and intones some words of prayer, his armor glows a soft blue for a moment before he steps forward and looks down the hole. I'll go first.

He floats down the hole slowly rotating and watching the area as he decends. He stops above the floor, not touching it. If nothing happens he waves teh others down quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Overland flight cast in the morning as usual, prolly another 4-5 hours left on it. Using that to move in the dungeon so no pressure plate action for me thanks.

Casting Magic Vestment (Duration 11 hours) bringing his AC up to 21

Spot (1d20+4)[11]
    Listen (1d20+4)[22]
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Foul! Gah!" The knight makes rough noises of disgust from behind his helmet. While Adrian runs off to get a rope, Throshkar turns to the mage: "Mayhap you can cast off this stench, good Brahe? I once hired a prestidigitator who could flower the air with roses -- an excellent skill, perfect for currying favor with the lady I was dallying with at the time. Ha haaa!"

Louis recognizes what Adrian is seeking, and offers him a bulky length of silk rope from Arondight's saddlebag: "It's good stuff, if yer climbing. Oh, and take this too..." The teen pulls out a tough leather sack containing a set of rock hammers and claws, a small grappling hook, and several well-formed cams and pulleys.

Once the halfling returns with this equipment, Throshkar looks for a place to anchor the rope, then gladly uses everything to lower Adrian and Egan, unless they prefer he go before them.

Spoiler
    Show
    100 ft silk rope, 10 lbs, from Arondight. Climber's Kit (+2 to Climbing), 5lbs, from Louis. Feel free to dump it on Throshkar.

Does it take any extra time to use the Climber's Kit?
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-06 at 05:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

No thanks, I got my own. Ah! Hoitytoity talk Adrian! Just cause he's also baker's son who talks like one doesn't mean he won't blow your cover! Though... I shall bring these kits as well. Imagine, if you will, Throshkar in a harness made for me. Ha!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

It takes Louis a moment to process Adrian's jest, but once he does, the mental picture sends him to the ground in hysterical laughter. The party can still hear him laughing as they make their way into the lower room.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

You step down into the subterranean room, the stench is overwhelming here and you find bile filling the back of your throat (Fort Save DC 5 to not throw up). As the everburning torch illuminates the large room the rats scatter into holes in the walls. The garbage piles are larger in this room than in the room above. As you move around in this room you cannot help to step on and break bones scattered around the room.

Beyond the hole in the ceiling you came down from there is a closed door to the south of this room.

What do you do?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian swallows, and then walks to the door. I hope the prince brought cleaning staff as well as masons. He slowly pulls open the door and peers inside. I wonder, is there a spell that might let me see in the dark without the need of a torch?

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[8]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

The door squeaks open as the rusted metal strains against itself until you hear a snapping sound and the door staggers completely open resulting in a large bang as it quickly hits the stone wall. The sound reverberates throughout the structure as it echos down the hallway.

The door opens into a hallway that turns east after several paces. You see nothing in the hallway.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian pulls out his crossbows, and moves down the hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    E10.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Adrian moves down the hallway and is able to peek around the corner. You notice there are two closed doors on the other side of the hallway turn.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar walks over to the pile of garbage and kicks at it, looking with only casual interest before following Adrian into the hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort bonus is +9. Move to C3, then E7.

Spot garbage: (d20-1)[0] Critical fail! There are giant radioactive hamsters here!!!
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-06 at 08:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That made me laugh...

23. - Top - End - #113

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Not wanting to be first, or last for that matter, Egan follows down the rope and falls third in line down the hallway as Kaylee glides in near him. Beginning conversationally, Egan responds, "Aye, such spells do exist. It is a rather simple spell to alter the ocular senses to see through the darkness. However, it is not a spell I have in my possession. And as with any arcane use, it would be rather hasty to try it without the proper research. I wouldn't want to turn your eyes into pebbles...< Ha, Ha >... well, at least not by accident. Anyway... the olfactory senses are another thing entirely. Those practiced in the art of illusion are usually best suited to..." Egan starts at Throshkar kicking the trash heap. Realizing that a lecture in the arcane arts may be a bit out of place, Egan follows Throshkar down the hallway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move D6.

Patting his familiar on the head Egan mutters, "Yes, yes, I know you can see quite well in the dark, Kaylee. I'm sure everyone is quite impressed."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

[Updated Map]
    Spoiler
    Show

The everburning torch illuminates the walls of this underground fort, you notice that the stonework is similar to the fort above but is in better condition. There are large scrape marks in the walls. Garbage fills the hallway and the stench of urine and bile fills the hallway making you wonder how anything could live in this place. You see rats running around on the outskirts of the light created by the everburning torch.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

As Throshkar walks up to Adrian's side, the burly warrior reaches back to his pack, confirming the presence of his own everburning torch -- just in case.

"I must hope the Prince brings with him engineers skilled in the arts of building and testing sub-earth tunnels," he observes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to D9.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

[Updated Map]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The cavalier passes his halfling companion, waving at Regis to come closer so he can see further down the hall.

"Let us speed up our exploration, fellows -- I would dine on foes or on scones for brunch, and that comes soon!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to E12. It's more Throshkar than me getting antsy.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian nods at Throshkar. We ought to be through though. Let's get these doors open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to H-11 and opening the door.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Adrian approaches the door, the wooden door is barred from the outside with a small barred hole from which one can look through. Adrian peers through the hole and he can see a rack in the middle of the room and two men curled up against the wall. The men do not stir but you can see them shallowly breathing.

30. - Top - End - #120

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan moves to keep up while inspecting the scratches on the walls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both move to D11.
    Some additional rolls:
    Egan Spot: (1d20+3)[20]
    Egan Search: (1d20+4)[11]
    Kaylee Spot: (1d20+9)[10]
    Kaylee Search: (1d20+6)[9]
    Kaylee Listen: (1d20+9)[13]