New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Master of Magic

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Master of Magic

The world of Arcanus was changing. For years, the races of the world had lived in small, independent tribes or towns, their isolated cultures rarely meeting except in territorial battles. But those times had ended. Cities were growing. Real societies were building. And leaders were coming up to head what could eventually become whole new nations. Many of these cities found leaders among their population, or were visited by a great hero who then took control, yet all were great men and women in their own rights. However, 4 of these towns had their leaders thrust upon them by fate. Wizards. Warlocks. Sorceresses. These towns grew, socially and industrially, agriculturally and economically, faster and greater than any other cities in their world. Any of them had the potential to be world powers.

But even the most powerful of these cities were relatively young. Four, maybe five-thousand people. Practice of magic was recently discovered, and the greatest sages in the world were truly novices. The world was still relatively undiscovered, and the wild beasts of the land were still out in force.

Yet the people of Arcanus knew that their world was not alone. Sometimes a strange creature from out of their world would be found, and some travelers told tales of towers that reached into the sky, staircases the whole way. What many thought was myth or legend was truly the land of Myrror. Still relatively chaotic, a single wizard was thrust into the midst, to bring control to the land however he saw fit.

((If you want to write about how your wizard began to rule his/her town, feel free, but you're allowed to start out in control. The four Arcanus wizards, please give an idea of if you are relatively North, South, East, or West of the world's center (on a map, like, 0 latitude, 0 longitude). Whiteknight, you can sort of be wherever you want in Myrror.))

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Master of Magic

Oborus

The city below was celebrating - an annual festival marking the shortest 'day' - if the odd cycles of Myrror could really be called such a thing - of the year. Oborus stood on the balcony of his tower, sipping mulled wine. Though none could see it beneath the impenetrable shadow that concealed his face, he was smiling. The poison added a delightfully piquant flavor to the wine. He grinned wider as he remembered the reactions of his dark elven subjects the first time they tried to poison him, and their even greater shock when he ordered that they continue adding it to the wine, because he felt it enhanced the flavor. He had had a little chat with the poisoner, of course - A memory which prompted a further smile.

But today really was one to celebrate. Oborus looked up at Myrror's sun - a curious object that resembled a gold-tinged moon and seemed to shed no more light than one. Myrror was always a plane of shadows, first and foremost. Just the way he liked it. As he did, he reflected that he had, at last, cowed the dark elves into abject submission. Of course, this only enhanced their natural bloodlust - he was pleased to find that they worked harder than ever under his yoke, taking out the agression of being subjugated on their victims, knowing their master was far too strong for it. The last resistance had been crushed - his people were his own to command.

He left the balcony, striding into his inner chambers. His familiar, a huge black cat, leapt up onto his shoulder and perched there, looking around with luminous eyes. One gloved hand reached up to caress her affectionately at the nape of her neck.

He rang a bell, and Myrt, his head apprentice, appeared in moments. Oborus nodded, opening his spellbook until he found the section he wanted. Turning the book on his pedestal, he tapped it with his finger, causing the lettering to ignite like blue flame, dancing under his apprentice's gaze.

"This is the spell you will research next, Myrt. Tell your underlings that the one who makes the most progress will be handsomely rewarded. And he or she who makes the least..." He once again smiled under his hood, and though his apprentice could not see it, he nodded, understanding immediately.

The spell to conjure Wraiths was a difficult first task, Oborus reflected. But since he had no other spells he needed to conjure at the moment, he could bend all of his available arcane energies towards its completion - and they were considerable, given the natural fecundity of magic on this plane and the massive natural aptitude of his subjects. And when it was done, he would have one of the most useful creatures of Death's domain under his power.

In the meantime, he sat behind his desk, a massive construction of ebon-hued Myrror wood and onyx stone, and drafted a trio of proclamations, each of them a vital part of his plans. The first was a call for the drafting of a group of scouts - the most fleet-footed swordsmen among the various families and houses who would explore the nearby regions, claiming any unguarded treasures and reporting on the presence of other cities ripe for conquest and monstrous lairs in need of clearing. The second was a simple work order - a mandate for each house to tithe a certain number of slaves in order to begin the construction of a communal granary. The dark elves were not a fertile people, but a careful management of the food supply would help increase the population of his people dramatically - a necessity, since he would always need more subjects... not to mention cannon fodder and sacrifices.

The third proclamation was of a more esoteric nature. It was a call for heroes - his army needed champions, and he intended to acquire them. It was a notice that he was seeking able adventurers of all sorts to join his forces. He was not well known yet, but hopefully that would change once his conquest of Myrror had begun in earnest. He arranged with Jyllan, his majordomo, to have all three notices appropriately copied and delivered, and then retired to the balcony once more. day was fading into twilight - the single sun replaced by five moons slowly rising, each one tied to one of the lores of magic. He smiled as he saw the Black Moon was ascendant tonight. A good omen - for Oborus, if not for Myrror or any other world.

3. - Top - End - #3

Gur'Athar

The Orc stood atop the great cliff upon which he had build his fortress to oversee the capitol city of his empire. The city needed law more then anything, the Orc's were unruly and anything short of an iron hand would cause a revolt. Gur'Athar needed to show why he was the one leading this city once more. A rogue warlord had tried to revolt against him, believing he was strong enough. He was sorely misstaken and would now face the concequences of his actions.

He spoke to the former captain:

"As a guest to great hall of warlords the actions you have performed are treacherous and defy the essence of honour that Orc's posses. Such deceit calls for a special penalty. You will be warped by the essence of chaos! Throw him down!"

The rebel was thrown of the cliff as the wizard spoke the final words of the enchantment. The chaos channels began to warp the orcs body as he fell, with luck he'd grown wings, without it Gur'Athar would need a new captain. Unfortunatly for the rebel the chaotic energies turned his screams into a roaring blast of flames from his mouth.

"Alas, he was unworthy..."

Gur'Athar turned to his remaining commanders.

"Find me a new captain for my armies! Anounce a grand tournament, let the strongest come and show their worth!"

The rest of his day he spend pouring over his spellbook untill he found one that apealed to him. The flames from the general's mouth still fresh in his mind he ordered research to commence on an summoning spell. Efreetwould make a nice addition to his armies, the sky had always been somewhat of an obstacle and without a flying general these would do nicely.

At night he gazed at the seas that lay further west of his city and dreamed of the riches they might hold. Still he wanted to ensure his dominance over the eastern lands first. His stronghold was positioned properly in the center of a large bay, with land to his north, south and east. He needed to claim them and soon and by morning two documents detailing the creation of a unit of spearmen and a smithy lay ready for his followers to execute. Soon the other cities of the eastern lands would bow to his armies...
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-12-06 at 04:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Infringus
    Far in the West of Arcanus, Infringus busily copied book after book, claiming these books to be his. The first novels written were all credited to Infringus. He would be a comical figure of minor villainy if his benevolent aspects hadn't shined so brightly. Magius, as he prefered to be called, fought for the little guy, and argued with the wicked previous ruler of the city.... Infringus'es combination of healing and attack magics was too much for Wickudus Clicheus, and Clicheus was buried underneath a cave in, crushed by all the stone when Magius blew up the cave they were in. He managed to survive by very fancy foot work indeed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Carma

In the far east of Arcanus, the hamlet of Si Harim sat on the coast, the bountiful ocean laying spread out to its eastern side and the forests and the distant mountains visible to the west.

A home to five thousand Men, the hamlet has grown over the years from just an outpost used by the older nomadic generations to house the women and children. It now stands relatively strong and healthy, though the inhabitants are wary of the monsters and raiders who live in the woods and occasionally attack the town. Few ever leave the safety of the town or the immediate surrounding area.

The Sorceress sits at the esteemed position of the town councils round table. Her advisers and the representatives of the town each ready to give their reports. She was now officially the person in charge of the city, in some part due to her considerable power, in other parts due to some well-placed coins in the right palms, but mostly it was because of her utter fearlessness in regards to the dangerous world outside the city.

She smiled to the group

"Now then, as our first order of the day I would like to introduce Hiko Starsee, he has been appointed the job of our cities cartographer. He will be in charge of organizing the information from our scouts to get a better lay of the land."

She pointed out a blond-haired youth sitting in a new chair at the table. The others voiced their congratulations, the most fervent of which was his father the towns Astrologer. Of course, it was no coincidence that he was chosen, just another favor she needed to give his father for his help in getting her to power. The fact that the lad was intelligent enough to do the job was icing on the cake.

"Our second order, we will need a granary constructed. This years rice harvest looks to be one of our greatest so far... thanks to some favorable weather. We will need this to help keep the surplus grain safe for the winter and to let our farmers do trade in the coming months. The Grand Vizier will be overseeing its construction."

"Thirdly, while I won't be raising taxes right away, I will be requiring a great deal of the treasury to perform my magic. Any surplus gold after maintenance and paying our soldiers will be used to purchase alchemical regents to cast spells and maintain our summoned forces." she nods to her advisers.

"Lastly, Surveyor Goodearth." she nods to the surveyor, a wizened old woman . "Please collaborate with our new Cartographer and gather up a group of fleet-footed scouts to check out the surrounding area. Have them scout for other settlements or potential threats and report back. If they spot anything that looks dangerous then they are not to get into combat. We can put out notices for adventurers or I shall summon up some guardians of my own to deal with them."

She pauses for a moment and then adds. "Though to speed your progress, I think I shall summon up something to aid you. A spirt that can travel tirelessly over land, water, and mountains and let you see through its eyes. I shall get back to you in the morning."

The meeting concluded, The Sorceress gets up and leaves the table, the others getting back to their assigned tasks. She pulls aside her head apprentice, a red-haired young woman named Chisa.

"I want you and your researchers to look though the old tomes and decipher the spells for me. For starters, the Flight spell should do. I will be devoting my entire supply of magical energy to you and your researchers for this so do not take this task lightly."

Her underlings sent about on their tasks, she returns to her magical laboratory. With the cities funds at her disposal she can now get the resources to produce some real magic. Taking a small fortune in gold, she uses her knowledge of the alchemical arts to extract the magical essence from the precious metal, reducing it to worthless dust. With the magical energies she harvests, she begins summoning a Magic Spirit to assist her underlings in their work of mapping the surrounding land. She binds the spirits sight to a silver mirror so that her new cartographer and his team can use it in his work.

6. - Top - End - #6

((Just so I can write these more conveniently, city names would be nice. Wizard of the Coat, I've assigned you the South, and Raz will be in the North when he returns))

Armies begin to take shape as towns form regular units of soldiers. Humanity takes up arms to defend itself against the unknown. Dark Elves equip themselves with blades for anything that survives against their torrent of magic. Orcs form their warbands, more eager to fight than anyone, their natural fighting instinct worth more training than anybody could receive.

Cities begin to organize their improvements. Rather than each civilian just doing their job and watching the city build slowly over time, concentrated efforts are put into new projects. Many of their first thoughts are to food storage, as granaries continue to be built up. Orcish tools and weapons begin to populate the South, useful for their upcoming tournament.

The men of the East gossip that a magic spirit is about in their lands, excited gossip permeates the taverns.

A dark figure is seen approaching the city of Myrror's apparent dark lord.

Hobbits farm in their fields, relatively unphased that they have a ruler, their way of life still unchanged.
    Last edited by Copper8642; 2008-12-07 at 12:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Carma

The Cartographer and Surveyor look at the appiration in awe, the things intangible form floats just above the ground and its outstreached 'arms' seem both inredibly strong and uneasily immaterial. All said, the spirit looks like a solidified mass of fog with burning flames for its eyes.

"Do not be afraid, it is bound completly to my will." the Sorceress says. Two servants bring out the large enchanted mirror that the she had prepared before. Carefully, they hang it securely from the wall. Within the silver surface, the group can see themselves reflected in it... or shown more likely from the Spirts perspective. The sorceress' reflection seems to glow in the mirror, a light blue radiance dancing over her skin.

"This mirror is enchanted to let you see the world outside, immediately and securely. Simply speak your orders and it will carry them out if possible." She turns to the mirror, holds a hand to it and says clearly and with authority. "Head north from here until you leave the city, travel under the surface of the ground until you are outside the city walls... no need to let the people see you."

As the bound spirit seems to melt into the ground, a murky black-and white image is shown in the mirror, as if the spirit was traveling through water and seeing the people walking above it.

"The bound spirit is tireless and fearless, though it can protect itself in battle if need be it is by no means indestructible." She turns to her two advisors. "It can travel twice as fast as a group of spearmen, can move across the water, and other types of terrain are of no concern to it. I would like you to put together a team to watch and control the spirit at all times, using it to survey the land from afar. If it runs into any monsters or raiders, do not engage them but record their location and send for me."

She stops and looks in the mirror. "And finally, if you come across any location that seems to glow with an eerie fire. Then record it immediately and send for me. Its likely that they have found a Node of magic." she smiles and rubs her hands. "Such things are rare and powerful and I will reward you for finding one for me."

Letting the two get used to their new tool, the Sorceress heads back toward her study, though she runs into the Grand Vizier on her way.

"Oh, once you are finished with the granary I want you to start constructing a marketplace for the local tradesmen and merchants."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Aredhel sat by the river Noleri, her hand trailing in its swift clear water. Yes - all was right in her land. A new town was being built in the south - the fields were fertile there, and the fruits of the ground were sweet.

She listened to the wind, to the trees, to the water. They spoke of dark times coming, of war and brutality. Aredhel was ready for such times; the small band of elite warriors sworn to protect her were also training up a light militia to protect the lands she was sworn to protect. The hidden valley was safe, but they were expanding to protect the lands beyond.

Aredhel knew war would come, but for today she could sit by the Noleri and forget all but the wonderful creation around her.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Oborus

With a group of scouts readied and trained, Oborus issued them their orders - they were to scout within a three-day ride of the city, taking anything they might find undefended, map the land, and note the location of any monstrous lairs as well as independent cities. After that, they would work in a slowly widening pattern, searching for the same things.

After issuing these orders, he spent some time immersed in study, directing his apprentices in research - both dissecting the knowledge in dusty tomes and summoning abyssal spirits to bargain for knowledge, as well as other forms of magical experimentation.

When he heard a lone figure had been sighted riding towards the city, he ordered the interloper to be conducted to him - respectfully if it proved friendly, but forcefully if necessary.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Infringus Magius
    Infringus Magius got to work surveying the lands around his area. He wondered if there was somewhere he could go to retrieve important spells.... scrolls... something.. He didn't exactly know what. He just had an inkling something was out there for him. Maybe it could unlock something important... Like a key of golden knowledge... Maybe.. "Hey, sir... what do you want for your birthday?" An underling asked... It was Derek, his favorite foot soldier. "Oh... a PS 3 would be nice. Or maybe an X-Box 360... Oh, nevemind, you wouldn't know about that."

Edit-
    Searching around the territory for places to explore.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2008-12-08 at 10:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Gur'Athar

Standing amongst the newly forged weapons Gur'Athar spoke to the master of steel, the head smith of Can'Athar (the throne of Athar, the name Gur'Athar bestowed upon his capitol).

Excelent steel, these swords will serve my men well. Begin forging more, the blood of the surrounding lands beckons!

With that statement Gur'Athar sought to further expanded his armies, swordsmen in great numbers would soon swell into his ranks. The city would become a living, breathing forge from where Orc's would come to dominate this continent.

"My liege, our tournament preparations are nearly ready, what next should we do?"
    the master of ceremonies asked to his lord on the way back to the clifftop fortress.

"Ensure there are visitors ofcourse! Take the fastest runners from amidst our ranks and send them to look for neighboring towns, any race will do. Have them invite the people of these towns to come witness the magestic events that are to take place here, and challenge them to send their greatest warriors to participate."

"But my liege, what of our own warriors, are they not the strongest?"

"Indeed and it is time we showed that to the others. Oh and make sure you send special invitations and lavish gifts to any of the towns leaders or notable people that come to our festival. They shall be our welcome guests!"

"Yes, my liege."
    and with that the master of ceremonies departed, sending out scouts to the neighboring towns to tell them to come witness the grand tournament and even participate themselves as a gesture of friendship.

We do need a prize, Gur'Athar thought...and the means to show the other towns what more we can offer. Calling for the master of the treasury he drafted a plan for the worlds finest marketplace. It would be build around the tournament grounds to serve as a lavish display of the Orc's wealth and potential to be a profitable partner.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-12-08 at 09:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

The magic spirit sent out by the city of Men sees an abandoned keep to the South, and rich looking mountains to their East, but what they are rich in can not be ascertained.

The elven people of Arcanus construct the last of the houses that they are in immediate need of, with a few basic necessities in place, ready to try and push the borders of their prosperous lands out, bringing peace as far as they can go.

Meanwhile, the elven people of Myrror have a visitor. Riding forth on his horse, it appears to be another dark elf, but his cloak is wrapped very close to his body. He also appears to have another elf riding with him, slumped against him, apparently unconscious. As he reaches the gate, he throws off his cloak to reveal his pink skin (he's a human). The being states, "Let me in! Quickly, an injured man of your people is hurt!" He indicates the passenger... Dark Elves scouts indicate oceans to the North and West, much more land to the South, and a cave to the East.

The hobbit population is relatively undeterred by the world around them, doing whatever they please.

The nimblest scouts (for an orc) are sent to find anybody nearby that can be found. The wild lands are dangerous, however, and the small groups of scouts are both small groups and unarmed, for speed. Some don't make it back, and one scout returns to the city strapped to a horse, peppered with arrows. However, there are also successes, as a lone orc comes with a letter from an encampment of nomads, a party of orcs comes trailed by a warband of barbarian spearmen, and another orc returns with a lone Lizardman.
    Last edited by Copper8642; 2008-12-09 at 03:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Oborus

A human... and an altruist? Interesting. Or perhaps he simply saw something to gain. He ordered the human admitted, and the wounded elf treated - and both of them under constant watched. The wounded dark elf would have guards with him - the human was to be admitted into Oborus' sanctum where his defenses were thickest. Along the way, he would be shadowed by spies, though Oborus would interview him alone - if the stranger was powerful enough to assault him in the center of his own domain, he doubted his elves would be of much use.

Meanwhile, he ordered his scouts to investigate the cave, but avoid confrontation, then investigate the unexplored lands to the south.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2008-12-08 at 10:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Carma

Upon hearing the report from the survey team, The Sorceress heads down and takes a look.

"Excellent, let use search the abandoned keep with the spirit to see how it is inside. Then, if there looks to be anything of value we can send a team of spearmen and workers to extract it."

She thinks about it.

"Actually... check the keep and see if it can be salvaged. If the structure looks secure enough then we can gather supplies to help repair it an possibly set up an outpost."

She chuckles, "At the very least its bricks and stone would be useful in building our own castle nearby. Why ship stone there when someone else has done it for us."

"Anyway, search the keep and the surrounding land to see if it would make a good outpost. If it looks salvageable then we should gather up some engineers and settlers, and spearmen to fix the place up."

"Once your survey of the keep is finished then head for the mountains and see what those lands may hold."

The Sorceress begins to conjure up another Magic Spirit, taking a bit longer with this one, not wanting to drain too much of her treasury on the casting. Once done, she will give her surveyors another scout with which to search the northern areas.

"Once we can spare the workers, we must build a shrine. The gods may lend a bit of power for that." she pondering the idea as she works. She sends a message to the Chancelelor and Astrologer, asking them to seek out suitable religious teachers who may responsibly hold a shrine in the city.

Code:
    ,,,,,,,m,,,,,,~~~~
    ,,,,,,,m,,,,,S~~~~
    ,,,,,,,m,,,,,,~~~~
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,~~~~
    ,,,,,,,,,,,k,,~~~~
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,~~~~

crude map (not to scale)

S = hamlet of Si Harim
    k = abandoned keep
    m = mountains
    ~ = ocean
    , = grass or forest
    Last edited by Randel; 2008-12-09 at 01:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Seven scouts rode out from the Vale, bright swords at their side and their white horses fleet. They were to find allies and to discover those who would attack the Elves.

Aredhel herself was busy blessing both the land and its inhabitants. Where she walked, the crops grew tall, the land itself shone with life and the sick and injured were healed.

Finaron and Gatharon, the brothers who ruled the new town, were hard at work building several storehouses for the plentiful crops.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

16. - Top - End - #16

Gur'Athar

Sitting atop his throne as the scouts reports come back in Gur Athar reads the letter from the nomads ((OOC: what does it say?)) and sets out to draft a response to it that will welcome them and their leaders to the tournament. He also indicates that he hopes that such will foster co-operation to tackle the dangers of the lands together.

"Make copies and ensure that this is delivered to them"

Around that time the scouts came back with the lizardman. As is customary for honoured guests Gur'Athar receives him in his throne room and speaks with him at length about where he hailed from and if he is here to participate in the tournament. He ensures that the lizardman is given a proper stay whilst he is in Can'Athar and will seek to hire him as his ambassador if his skills prove worthwhile.

His final guests, the barbarian warband, came early the next day. Naturally the wizard saw the potential of having these warriors further strengthen his armies and he offered them a place within his city to participate in the tournament. He ensures that they are well fed and makes several indications to their leader that he's interested in hiring them as mercenaries.

Gur'Athar spoke often with his guests on rumours and their knowledge of the lands, having his finest scouts and scribes sit at the same tables to ensure no knowledge was lost. A list of all the rumours of mystic places and large towns on the continent known to the guests and the scouts would be drawn up along with directions on how to get there. Mobilising a full regiment of the Orc's spears more scouts were send out to these far of places all carrying letters marked with the seal of the Crimson Throne. The bands of scouts would be larger then before, especially those going in directions that proved fatal, with clear instructions to report on anything that went wrong.

Still reports from the construction of the marketplace did not bode well for the Orc's. With the tournament date fast aproaching the master of stone, in charge of the kingdoms construction efforts was summoned to the chamber of his liege.

"Tel me, why is our market not flooding with foreign goods yet?"

"My liege, our workers are few and our strongest take up the sword and spear, the buidlings will not build themselves..."

"Yes, you are correct...I shall soon remedy that situation. For now, have the master of the treasury pay for extra laborers and slaves as we can find them. This must be completed before the tournament. Also say that any orc can work and be payed with a sword so he can participate in the tournament and prove his worth, that should give them an incentive!"
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-12-09 at 09:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

((Armin, should you decide to actually take some action, feel free to do more than usual, given you haven't posted yet))

The marketplace of the sorceress is going smoothly, even with impending orders of a new project to be started as soon as the workers are done with this one. The keep has engravings on it's door, but they have eroded too far away too read. It is secure, obviously well built, but the magic spirit also sends back images of skittering legs every time is passes a corner, and webs occupy many of the nooks and crannies. The spirit gets out of the keep, and the Cartographer begins to map everything that can be seen from there, scribbling furiously as his parchment.

The High Elves already had an advanced knowledge of their forests, and headed into the barren lands to the South. To the South-East of their lands lay a cave near the coastline, but couldn't check the rest of the lend due to a band of Hellhounds to the direct South of their city... and moving North. Scouts to the north find lush plain, but nothing interesting in immediate view.

"The lead merchant of the nomadic table would be glad to send an emissary to your city, along with a few of our swordsmen to engage in your tournament..." The Barbarian soldiers brought their axes and spears into the town, but not particularly caring for the accommodations made for them, instead camping outside the city walls until the tournament, for the sake of keeping themselves as enemies to the entrants, instead of being seen as a familiar foe. Their leader does, however, wish it be very clear that he will be willing to be more "social" after the event. Gartuar, the lizardman centurion, happily accepts the apparent prestige offered him in Can'Athar, enjoying the attention. He came from a very small group of traveling lizardmen, but was forced to flee to the ocean from a Fire Giant that attacked their camp, but never found his way back to his homeland, instead becoming a hermit just South of Can'Athar, sometimes hiring himself out a a trained fighter or bodyguard, given his impressive skills. Finally, the marketplace is soon finished, and lavishly done, ready to receive both local and foreign merchants. Hopefully they come in force, for the treasury is nearly emptied...

The man enters the dark cave of Oborus, and in it finds the lone figure. Sitting down, he explains himself. "I apologize if I do not follow any niceties that are common among your people, but I don't know them, and feel that I must explain myself anyway. I... I'm not from here, as you might know. Not just not from around here... but not from Myrror. I... I... let me start over. I'm a sage, and... do you know about the towers? Betwee.... maybe I shouldn't..... I guess I'll start with your... is he yours? I couldn't help but notice that he didn't wear your garments. He was definantly one of your race though. I don't know. I found him in the forests to the South. He... was like that. I couldn't find what had attacked him, but the noises... the noises... oh..."... the man looked up, broken and nervous, jittery and unsure of what would happen. The scouts continued South, finding a small forest, followed by a plain... followed by a road.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Oborus

The dark wizard smiled beneath his hood, letting the man speak. After he fell silent, or at least mostly so, Oborus spoke in a soft, friendly voice.

I see... and what will you do now? since you seem unfamiliar with the ways of mirror, you are welcome to join me... I would welcome a man of your obvious talent.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

(I"m sorry.. I'm not doing things right. I think I should stop playing...)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Carma

The sorceress looks at the images from inside the keep, frowning a bit.

"Hmmm... actually... I don't like the looks of those big webs." She turns to a nearby scribe.

"Record the keeps position and then post a notice about it in a tavern somewhere... I hear that there are adventurers out there who enjoy clearing out monster-filled buildings for the chance at treasure. If an adventurer does clear it out then undoubtedly they will be taking their findings back here to sell... and the local merchants can eat them alive."

The Sorceress gives out a private chuckle, wondering if the heros will find themselves selling their hard-earned loot for half market price or one fifth... either way, the sales tax would work into the public coffers.

She gets her surveyor a few assistants to help with the work of making maps from the magic spirits information. When she summons the second Spirit, she makes another mirror and instead of her first plan, she modifies it to allow one to speak and listen through the spirit over long distances, puts a cloak over it and then orders the cartography group to make the spirit travel West as far as possible until it hits the opposite shore.

"Make note of any features you see on the way, most notably if there are any inhabited towns in that direction."

21. - Top - End - #21

Gur'Athar

Contestants from the barbarian warband, the nomadic settlement and Can'Athar itself were making their final preparations for the weeklong tournament. It was unclear who was going to win as each of the participants had great warriors amongst their ranks. Still a lone lizardman centurion, training with or more accurately training the orcs, was whispered to be the favorite in several of the towns gambling Dens.

Though the marketplace became a center for trade for locals and even started receiving visitors from outlying hamlets it was not yet the bustling forum that Gur'Athar wanted it to be. No matter, such things took time, Gur'Athar knew this and was allready seeing a promising increase in wellfare from the surrounding farmers that brought in their excess crops during this seasons harvest. Still it worried him that such crops would not last the winter if they didn't have a place to store them. A granary was needed and with the tournament mear days away Gur'Athar gave the order. The master of stone was quick to start work on it, mustering his workers to complete it in due time.

In the mean time, to settle the situation of the empty treasury Gur'Athar had ordered his aprentices to convert half of the stored mana crystals into gold, revealing the alchemical process to them. His aprentices protested fiercely, they hamered the fact that they had only a single mana crystal a month to spend on research as Gur'Athar had made it his business to always store most of his crystals. Considering to have them flogged for their insolence, he instead explained that he had enough spells to last him the first few years of his reign, what he needed was money and followers. They complied and soon the treasury was again a glinstering prize.

Then the tournament started, Orc's, nomads, barabarians and Gartuar all strived for the honour and the prize that Gur'Athar had set aside for the winner.The warlord was happy to see the prowess of the contestants and invited all the victors of each day to sit at the great table in his hall with his, where he praised their accomplishments. As the week drew to a close tension was rising as the victor would soon be known, all sides still had a champion in the race and Gur'Athar was keen on seeing the outcome on the final day.

Apart from watching and enjoying the tournament Gur'Athar also spoke much with the barbarian and nomadic leader together with Guartar if he wasn't fighting on the dangerous situation in the land with bandits and monsters all around. He said that the dangers must be conquered by strength and that he would be happy to play a grand part in this. Urging a coalition between them he proposed his troops, who had shown great skill during the tournament, to take the lead in this to establish rule of law in the lands. In exchange the nomads could help finance the operation and have their merchants protected by powerfull skilled warriors and a potent wizard.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((it's essentially a protectorate treaty, which considering he's build a larger, more skilled army then the nomads would have and he's a wizard, they would probably be considering quite carefully))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Aredhel listened with interest to the scouts from the north - lush plains would be worth exploring soon. However, there was now more pressing buisiness.

The hellhounds were coming fast, and a citizen militia was drummed up to defend their land. They stood at Hyll Pass, ready to deny the hellhounds entrance to their fair city.

Aredhel herself cast spells of blessing upon the warriors, and readied several spells that would unleash nature's wrath upon the intruders.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

The High Elven granary was completed especially quickly, as the elves had much food from their rich land ready to be stored. The Southern scouts returned to the city, in preparation for the Hellhounds. The Southern scouts waited for the hounds to pass before moving west. Directly to the South was a gem deposit, and further west was just plain barren desert. The Swordsmen of Aradhel ((I figure that personal guard you mentioned could be a swordsmen group, because you need them to face the hounds!)) were blessed with stone skin, and a group of spearmen had also been drummed up to help defend the pass.

With all of the attentions of the orcish people on the tournament, it seemed to be the only thing happening, and time almost seemed to revolve around it. Nomadic swordsmen swiftly fought with exotic techniques, attempting to dance around the heavy barbarian throwing weapons and orcish strength. The orcs themselves threw themselves at every foe they faced, not letting anything except plain defeat stop them. The barbarians used everything to their advantage, always resourceful, even in an arena. Gartuar dispatched all comers, a gauntlet on one fist, a trident in the other hand, and steel and scales covering his body. The merchants used the massive crowds to sell their goods, and the treasury slowly began to build, but was still relatively low.

The road found by the Dark Elves went from East to West, and they did not know which way to go first. To the West was a mountain, and to the East was more plains.

Having used a good portion of her magic on the summoning of spirits, the Wizard of humanity let them do their work at scouting. The original spirit at the keep stayed near the keep, but scouted the vicinity nearby to find another cave to the South. The new spirit moved West, and reached a small river after some travel, one with a hamlet next to the river bed.

24. - Top - End - #24

Gur'Athar

With Guartar being hailed as the new champion of Can'Athar and captain of it's armies the crimson prince feels all the more secure in his negotiations with the nomads. Having found the merchant to be interested in peace first and foremost he decides to sweeten the deal. A carrot and a stick should do the trick.

"I allready told you how dangerous these lands are and how a pact would help us both prosper, but I fear that you don't fully understand the urgency of the matter. Gartuar, show him."

Gartuar snaps his fingers and several of the Orc's finest warriors rush in. Mere moments later the nomads guards are held tightly on the ground, disarmed and disabled by superior Orcish soldiers.

"Now, the fact that you and your men live is because I desire it to be so. I have no wish to cause harm to you or your people. Still the fact of the matter remains that your finest were no match against a hand full of my warriors. How then do you expect them to defend the lands from wandering monsters, how then do you expect them to keep your gold safe."

"We are a peacefull people, we have no desire for conflict with anyone."

"Indeed and it is peace which I offer. Peace from the terrors of the lands, peace from the dishonorable rogues that kill my scouts and your merchants. Gartuar, release his men."

The nomads are released and though a few curses are muffled they are not about to risk a second humiliation at the Orcs hands.

"Yet you would attack me and my men under the guise of friendship."

"Indeed, if that is what it takes to open your eyes. Yet you and your men still live. If it was my desire to cause harm, your people would have been in chains long ago. Instead I seek to unify all the civilised people of these lands to bring law and honour to this world."

"So you seek to take my place as leader of my own people?"

"No, I offer your people and you to become equal partners, to add your strengths to ours. Where our shields and swords are unmatched, your people are prosperous and wealthy, that too is admirable. Yet how interesting would it be to your people if they were treated as full citizens in more settlements then just your own. To have no special tarifs or tolls imposed upon them. This is what I offer, a free market in every town that joins us, where all shall be held only to the same laws as those that live there. In addition as I said before I shall keep the lands safe and ensure prosperity can spread by building roads and marketplaces in all towns that join us. Your people will become a prosperous one and live in peace. In return what I ask is support for our armies, payment to keep the peace within our this realm and a declaration by us noth that we shall support another in times of needs."

"I should need to confer with others of my people."

"As you wish, I shall arrange my swiftest messengers to be made available to you. Naturally you shall be my welcome guest untill these negotiations come to an end. You will join me for dinner won't you?"

Gur'Athar had the nomads where he wanted them, scared of Orcish power, but with a profitable deal offered to them. Though he wouldn't see the premium charged to foreign traders, he'd still draw the usual merchants fees from them so he'd lose little as the increased trade would make up for it. Settling down for other afairs of state he decided to take a tour of the granary construction site, leaving Gartuar in charge of security to 'protect' the nomadic visitors. Afterall, Gartuar was held in high esteem by the wizard and the Orcs, who valued the strength of the warrior and were eager to learn from him in training.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-12-14 at 08:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Aredhel believed that the gem desposit would be a good place to explore further, once the battle with the helhounds had ended. High Elves loved jewels, and a fortress beneath the earth would be a protected place for the High Elves.

Even though the farmers and the artisans continued their craft, scouts rode before the city daily, watching for the infernal canines.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Carma

The Sorceress looks at this new turn of events and has both magic spirits move in to examine the locations, the first to check out the cave and the second to check out the hamlet. She takes a deep breath and focuses, making certain her magic reserve is set up to cast a few spells if needed in confrontation.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Oborus

The wizard of the dark elves had a long, involved discussion with the sage. In the end, he convinced the somewhat nervous old man to enter his service - something had been broken inside him - but Oborus could use that to twist him, he thought with an evil grin, invisible beneath his shadowed cowl.

Meanwhile, the Dark Elf scouting party was given orders to head for the mountains, to see what treasures or dangers they might find therein.

28. - Top - End - #28

After crossing the river, the magic spirit flew past a hamlet of what appeared to be really short humans. Their fields flourished farther than what the humans could achieve under any circumstances, and the rest of the village seemed to be relatively relaxed. None of them saw the magic spirit in the distance, but when it came closer, many of them fled into their homes until a shaman could be brought out to speak with it. The spirit that traveled to the cave found a small group of bears taking residence inside, but could not get further inside without drawing their attention.

The Hellhounds attacked the elven city, meeting elven weapons and grace with fire and demonic fury. ((Sorry, in my last post I accidentally said Southern scouts twice.... my bad.)) To the North, a few elves who decided to keep up the search found an old abandoned temple farther to the North, and more forest to either side.

As the Dark Elves looked off of a high peak, they saw a small hamlet in a farther part of the mountains, but could not discern what dwelled in it. However, their wonders were put on hold when a group of sprites ambushed them. Other scouts reveal that the cave to the East was empty, but return with small treasures worth some gold.

With their leader around, the orcs finish up the granary in short fashion. The Nomad leader revealed that his village existed to the North-East of the orcish capital, and his scouts returned with news that the nomads would agree to the orcish "security" deal, assuming that they actually got their leader to return home.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Anathion

Anathion deftly brought his long sword down upon the head of a hellhound, splitting its demonic skull open. Only a few of the militia spearmen were left, fighting their hardest against the infernal dogs - but the guards of Aredhel were the epitome of swordfighting, and with Aredhel's blessing they were swiftly hacking through the hellhounds.

Slash. Hack. Block. Slashslashslash. Finally, Anathion stood alone among a pile of smoldering corpses. Only a few hounds were left - but there was one springing upon him and slamming into his shield, bearing him down beneath its unbearable heat and sheer weight, slavering jaws trying to pierce his throat...

And then it was blown off of him by a cool breeze, that seemed to cool his wounds and extinguished the flames of the demonic hound. He stood and thrust his long blade through its throat, then turned to his charge. Aredhel Dae'ron seemed frail amidst the carnage and the battle, but the glint in her fair eyes betrayed her determination. With but a touch to Anathion, she healed his wounds. He bowed to her, then turned to hunt down the last of the hounds.

Bavarien

Bavarien looked at the ruined temple, its ancient stone crumbling and wood rotting. Once this had been glorious and powerful, she could feel in her gut. She urged her horse forward, the other two scouts with her following suit. Bavarien dismounted at the steps, then took a deep breath, walked up the broken stairway and opened the doors.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show