1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: d20 Rebirth

Added links to gnolls and aasimar.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up; I've never heard of that before.

Quick beef about the races. Will your format for facial adjustments describe why a race has the Ability Bonuses/Penalties that they do? The russiti break from the rest on not doing this, but that may just be because they're older.
    Facial adjustments generally take one of two forms. A polymorph-esque spell, or a raging barbarian.
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Added links to phrenic creatures and minotaurs.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Update to Table of Contents to include monsters.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Is this going to be turned into a big PDF when it's finished?

I can't decide whether d20r or Serpents and Sewers is cooler. d20r is more in the spirit of the game- Satyr really hates casters and makes them way weaker. I love the Prowess system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

I think the most accurate comparision would be that d20r is 3rd edition D&D like Fax thinks it should be, while Serpents and Sewers is meant to tailor 3rd edition D&D into another playstyle. So they're quite fundamentally different.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Yeah. If I wanted to do a Norse mythology or fairytale type campaign, more tough and mysterious, I'd use S&S. But for D&D as normal, I'd use d20r.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Glorious Logo of Victory courtesy of Flickerdart.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

That is pretty awesome.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Links to Elf, Bladeweaver, and Racial Feats IV added.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so I've set up a twitter account that I'll use to mark what I'm working on currently. You can find it here.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Icon = win.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

While trying to stat out a Dwarven Dreadnaught, I stumbled upon two questions:
    1) Will you be doing any significant changes to the magic items? Or is it safe to use the ones from the official WoTC material?
    2) Will you be changing the way shields work in a significant manner, so that they don't suck so much?
    And on an unrelated note, will NPC classes gain Prowess? If PC wizards and the like do, it'd make sense for more warrior-like NPCs to get them as well. Yeah, I'm a bit fixated upon the way NPCs work.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-03-21 at 11:52 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    1) Will you be doing any significant changes to the magic items? Or is it safe to use the ones from the official WoTC material?
    You can use them pretty much as-is. I don't think I'll be changing items much.

2) Will you be changing the way shields work in a significant manner, so that they don't suck so much?
    Likely, though I haven't determined how yet.

And on an unrelated note, will NPC classes gain Prowess? If PC wizards and the like do, it'd make sense for more warrior-like NPCs to get them as well. Yeah, I'm a bit fixated upon the way NPCs work.
    Yes, they will, albeit at a slower rate than an equivalent PC (ie: a Warrior gains bonus feats slower than a Fighter in standard 3.5).

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    You know, one option that just occured to me (and I'm sure hase been thought of by others first), is to give them a displacement-like effect. For instance, Light Shields offer a flat 10% chance of an attack missing you, Heavy shields 20%. Or something.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

I just hope that Fax fixes the poison system so that it's, you know, actually poisonous. Toxic substances practically don't exist in 3rd edition. Most poisons in the real world far outstrip the lethality of even the worst poisons in D&D. It's embarrassing, really.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    You know, one option that just occured to me (and I'm sure hase been thought of by others first), is to give them a displacement-like effect. For instance, Light Shields offer a flat 10% chance of an attack missing you, Heavy shields 20%. Or something.
    Yes, it's an idea I've seen around a few times and I think it has some merit. The question itself occured to me while writing up a typical heavily armored dwarf with axe and shield.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I just hope that Fax fixes the poison system so that it's, you know, actually poisonous. Toxic substances practically don't exist in 3rd edition. Most poisons in the real world far outstrip the lethality of even the worst poisons in D&D. It's embarrassing, really.
    I will, believe you me. Mostly I'll make them act more quickly, but also probably more frequently.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Updated link to new Skill Sets mechanic.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

As a sort of aside (I don't know whether you will like it, but I am loving the idea), what do you think of the initiative rules found in Donjon? I think it could work well, only you'd have to change Imp. Initiative to +1 instead of +4. Basically, you have as many Standard actions as you have initiative bonus. You roll that many d20s, and the GM counts down from 20. You get an action on any count for which you have a die showing that number. to level the playing field a bit, though, I'd say that if you have any matching initiative dice (matching with one or more of your own, that is) you'd combine them into one action, giving that action +1 to its rolled initiative number for each matching die beyond the first (the reason I say this helps level the field a bit is that the more dice you roll, the more chance you have to match two or more and therefore have fewer actions than you do dice, keeping it more fair to those that). The only problem that I see with it is that those without a bonus wouldn't get even the normal allotment of actions, so you could scale it up by 2, to make it 2+dex mod+misc.

It's a hack that doesn't really match D&D per se, but it could do a lot towards keeping people interested in the game when it isn't their turn, because they could still have turns left this round. Of course, you'd probably want to limit spells used per round (perhaps to 1/2 your caster level in spell levels per round, with cantrips/orisons counting as 0) [/unrelatedstreamofconciousness] :)
    Last edited by UserClone; 2009-03-21 at 10:34 PM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Fax, seriously, you should slow down before your homebrewing power becomes too great.

Spoiler
    Show
    : nale! what do goggles say about silly man's power level?

: It's....OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!

: yay! nine thousand!
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-03-21 at 11:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    As a sort of aside (I don't know whether you will like it, but I am loving the idea), what do you think of the initiative rules found in Donjon? I think it could work well, only you'd have to change Imp. Initiative to +1 instead of +4. Basically, you have as many Standard actions as you have initiative bonus. You roll that many d20s, and the GM counts down from 20. You get an action on any count for which you have a die showing that number. to level the playing field a bit, though, I'd say that if you have any matching initiative dice (matching with one or more of your own, that is) you'd combine them into one action, giving that action +1 to its rolled initiative number for each matching die beyond the first (the reason I say this helps level the field a bit is that the more dice you roll, the more chance you have to match two or more and therefore have fewer actions than you do dice, keeping it more fair to those that). The only problem that I see with it is that those without a bonus wouldn't get even the normal allotment of actions, so you could scale it up by 2, to make it 2+dex mod+misc.

It's a hack that doesn't really match D&D per se, but it could do a lot towards keeping people interested in the game when it isn't their turn, because they could still have turns left this round. Of course, you'd probably want to limit spells used per round (perhaps to 1/2 your caster level in spell levels per round, with cantrips/orisons counting as 0) [/unrelatedstreamofconciousness] :)
    I like it, but one of the biggest breakers of the 3.x game (including d20r) is action advantage. Giving pretty much anybody multiple actions per round could work well for some systems--I just don't think it would turn out well for this one.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, so I have a Dwarven Dreadaught and a Goblin Ranger written up, both on 4th level, although I still have to give them skills - I'll wait until Fax finishes updating the skill sets. What's noteworthy is that the dwarf's got 54 HP on 4th level, something I don't think is achieveable by most 3.5 characters.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Fax, seriously, you should slow down before your homebrewing power becomes too great.

Spoiler
    Show
    : nale! what do goggles say about silly man's power level?

: It's....OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!

: yay! nine thousand!
    [/lurk]
    The goggles! They do nothing!
    [/offtopic]

Fax, you rock. Just for trying to do this.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2009-03-22 at 02:59 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

25. - Top - End - #235

I was wondering if you were going off the assumption that everyone using this system will have 3.5 handbooks because I see you referencing the PH a lot

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    I was wondering if you were going off the assumption that everyone using this system will have 3.5 handbooks because I see you referencing the PH a lot
    3.5 handbooks, D20 SRD, same difference
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Fax....about those Racial Paragons; are you really planning to make 32? I think that doing so may very well over-work your creativity.

Honestly, there is only so much crunch that you can squeeze out of a race. I'd save it for a supplement, or throw it out entirely.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Fax....about those Racial Paragons; are you really planning to make 32? I think that doing so may very well over-work your creativity.

Honestly, there is only so much crunch that you can squeeze out of a race. I'd save it for a supplement, or throw it out entirely.
    Oh, racial paragons are easy. They're only 3 levels each. Unless ol' Fax is planning something unusually for his paragon classes, I'd bet that he could bang 'em all out in a day.

Of course, that could be a day that he could spend to work on other things...

29. - Top - End - #239

Do you have an estimate on the time of completion. I really want to play.

And also, do you have any plans to produce a complete printable post that comes out like a book(cause that would be awesome--but hard).

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't say I can speak for Fax, but the usual reply in cases where the designer is otherwise occupied with other jobs, and working on a project when they can is the standard "when it's done." I'm pretty sure a more definitive response would be impossible to give unless he has himself on a strict schedule.