New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: d20 Rebirth

1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: d20 Rebirth

Can you make a race that can fly? Like the Raptoran from Races of the Wild.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey Fax are you still continuing with the D20 rebirth series? Do you mind if I use what you currently have to play a game here on the Oots forum, or maybe the mythweavers forum? Also I'd like to commend you for your wondrous effort and ingenious concepts to reform the game
    Last edited by bue52; 2009-04-29 at 10:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

According to Fax's Twitter, he just needs to get himself motivated again. I imagine there's a lot of brainstorming/background work going on as well.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Well, hopefully he pops back to the forums, at the very least.

But yes, give the man his space and time. And length, height and depth...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Dude can take as long as he wants! I don't really like most of his work, but the dedication he has to it is amazing. Most people can't bring themselves to focus on a project like this, but Fax can. Gogo Fax!

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Dude can take as long as he wants! I don't really like most of his work, but the dedication he has to it is amazing. Most people can't bring themselves to focus on a project like this, but Fax can. Gogo Fax!
    I fully agree with you. The guy can take off for as long as he wants. I'm also not a fan of everything in the Rebirth, but this is the most ambitious, and well thought-out, item I've ever seen here. And I've already "lifted" the Skills and Skill Sets section and the Investing Feats section from here for the d20 Middle Earth Homebrew that I'm working on (although I'm also looking at what "Iron Heroes" did with in their "investing feats" too for some ideas).

Keep it up, Fax.
    Last edited by Al-Ashrad; 2009-05-02 at 12:22 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar moron
    I am a:

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Good Human Ranger (6th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    STR- 12
    DEX- 17
    CON- 14
    INT- 15
    WIS- 14
    CHA- 15

What are you?

"Public speaking is a lot like riding your bike: It's tiring, you get sweaty, and sooner or later you take an iron bar to the nuts."- The Onion

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    Can you make a race that can fly? Like the Raptoran from Races of the Wild.
    He already has. Check out the Ameena.

Personally, if nothing else, I think everyone should take a note of how Fax handled the races, my absolute favorite part of the project so far. The streamlined (but not purged, like in 4e) skill systems and the investing/racial feats are also tremendously amazing.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

I remembered some discussion about Favored Class on the Dwarf racial thread. While browsing the Faxapedia, I was looking at Serpents and Sewers. Satyr had the interesting idea of granting either 1 bonus hit point or skill point to a race that takes levels in their favored class. This also works for humans and their knack for always having oodles of skills.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

That's an idea that is actually cannibalized from the Pathfinder roleplaying game made by Paizo, or the Beta version thereof, at least. Not that it isn't a much better idea than multiclassing penalties.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Hey... it [i]is[//I] a better idea as a gratification works better as a motivator than a punishment. This is basic didactics.
    And in Serpents and Sewers, characters have actually at least 3 favorite classes (2 per species, and one class which is favorised by everyone) and can get more through an individual background which is determined at the character creation, up to 5 in total (or six, if the character has a template).

Favorite classes are an interesting tool to form an interconnection between the social and cultural background of a character and his or her later career, as people are formed by the societies they derive from. This works in Serpents and Sewers, as the cultural background is not limited to the character's species, but has an additional (admitedly shallow) level for the cultural background.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Just to clarify, you are agreeing with me. I used the double negative on purpose to indicate that I felt that the change was one for the better.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

My bad ... to my defense, on this side of the Atlantic it is still very early...

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for incurring your righteous wrath, Satyr, but I thought it was a pretty darn cool idea

As far as I know, Fax hasn't figured out a plan for Favored Classes or multiclassing.

Speaking of which, in about a month or so, my group and I are going to do some playtesting of d20r, starting at level 4. The races/classes to be used are as follows:
    • Half-Giant Dreadnaught
    • Soulstitched Medium (using those stats I sent you, Fax)
    • Drow Fencer (Replacing unfinished Brave Fencer feat with a Fighter Bonus Feat)
    • Human Monk (or possibly Paladin)
    • Elf Cartomancer
    The only minor problem so far is a matter of character sheets (mostly the altered skill points and racial charges), but they're not big issues. General consensus among the players so far is that d20r kicks butt in 9 different kinds of awesome. We continually brag to each other about how awesome our classes are
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-05-11 at 12:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's quite clearly time to summon Fax back.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

*Sigh*

I'll grab the virgins, ceremonial pie totem, mustard vat, and the Feathered Bracer of Epicosity. You guys draw the polyhedral summoning circle and go ahead and glue together the Toothbrushes of Despair while I'm getting the components.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll go buy a turkey. It should increase our chances of success, since Fax likes turkey.

Well, who doesn't?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, if you remember your Giantitology, the Feathered Bracer of Epicosity is made from turkey feathers, among others. But, sure, a few dozen turkeys couldn't hurt.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

The polyhedral circle should be drawn in Mountain Dew, just to make sure.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Fax actually hasn't posted anything in over a month. It might be traveling, it might be internet being cut, it might be any number of things, but for all we know he's not going to show up anymore.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Fax actually hasn't posted anything in over a month. It might be traveling, it might be internet being cut, it might be any number of things, but for all we know he's not going to show up anymore.
    Fax hangs around in the IRC from time to time, but he has been quite busy with his private life as of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fax hangs around in the IRC from time to time, but he has been quite busy with his private life as of late.
    He'll be comin' 'round the mountain when he comes...

Have patience, have faith, have resolve, & it shall be rewarded. So it is written, so it shall be...

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    All we need to know. Give him our best.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

*bangs head against wall*

There's a wizard class in there somewhere, but damned if I can get it on paper.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post

lol ... yeah, I know that feeling. That's the feeling of homebrewing, all right.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

He's back!

Let the dark rebirth of d20r recommence!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post

Well, throw the basics of your idea into a post and we can probably give you some inspiration or motivation there. I haven't been posting on this thread (that I remember, at least), but I've been following here and on the Faxapedia. I really like what you've been doing so far; don't let the wizard (or lack of one) get you down!
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Fax is back!
    Or more to the point, are you sticking to Vancian spellcasting with the wizard class?
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-05-19 at 02:12 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Fax is back!
    Or more to the point, are you sticking to Vancian spellcasting with the wizard class?
    Kindasortanotreally.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Question for Fax: Is Ledgermain a Trained or Untrained skill? Is it Intelligence-based?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Question for Fax: Is Ledgermain a Trained or Untrained skill? Is it Intelligence-based?

For my Middle Earth d20, I totally lifted Fax' skill sets. I noticed that while some of the skills that absorbed other skills had absorbed skills that were on the same trained/untrained and attribute modifier axis, "Legerdemain" didn't seem to be, since Forgery is an untrained INT-based skill, and Sleight of Hand is a trained DEX-based skill.

So I went with this...
    Legerdemain
    Trained skill
    (INT modifier + DEX modifier)/2.

It seemed like a reasonable enough compromise.
    Last edited by Al-Ashrad; 2009-05-19 at 11:22 PM.
    I am a:

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Good Human Ranger (6th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    STR- 12
    DEX- 17
    CON- 14
    INT- 15
    WIS- 14
    CHA- 15

What are you?

"Public speaking is a lot like riding your bike: It's tiring, you get sweaty, and sooner or later you take an iron bar to the nuts."- The Onion