New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Whispering Cairn [Group One]

You all have frequented the local pub, The Lazy Dog, so much that you have gotten to know each other. Not enough to consider each other the best of friends, but enough for a mutual respect to grow. Whilst shooting the breeze, and getting completely tanked, you have come to realize that there is one thing that keeps you all together; your hatred for Diamond Lake. One night, in the middle of a game of darts, a crazy idea floated to your heads; you remember about the Whispering Cairn, that place of childhood stories, and about how no one has ever explored it. Maybe, just maybe, there could be treasure in that place. Just maybe, there could be enough treasure to get you out of here. You stumbled home that night, thinking it a crazy pipe dream that could never come true. But the idea stuck with you, stuck in your head and bothered you, to the point where you all finally decided that maybe you should give it a shot. And so you prepared. You gathered gear and sharpened weapons; and you made sure that you would be ready for whatever was down there.

And so we open, sitting in The Lazy Dog this last night, but not drinking. You are ready to move out at the first possible opportunity.
    You know, just as soon as Kiera gets off work.

((You can do introductions now, I figured that I would leave specific reasons for joining this little brigade up to you guys. You get to decide how you feel about the other party members. The first thing I would like you to do is describe yourselves physically, and then a little about your personality. This is as much for each others benefit as it is for mine. Assume you have just walked into the tavern to meet everyone.

A few playing rules:
    Character name in bold at the start of each post, for ease of reference.
    Speech in colour. (and no, I am NOT spelling it wrong. All of the Americans are.)
    Thoughts in Italics
    ((OOC in double brackets; this includes things such as dice rolls))
    Everything else in plain text.

After that, have fun!))
    Last edited by Xanadu; 2008-12-09 at 01:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: The Whispering Cairn [Group One]

A young graceful witch of the woods had her silver haired head in the clouds as her broom brushed past the firm forest dirt, brushing away the many pine needles collecting around her forest home, her black cloak fluttering in the light breeze, and her tall pointed hat swaying precariously as she shuffled about. She idly brushed away the old foliage as she daydreamed about a knight in shining armour wisking her away for a life of better things. But alas, Elizabeth Thistlebroom was born to be the evil witch of the woods. She tried hard, but she hadn't the heart to be unkind, and as such, was not a particularly good evil witch of the woods.

For instance, it wasn't long until a flock of young children with their noise and laughter drifting behind them. They came at least once every week, just to see what magical wonders she could display. Any decent evil witch would have lured them to a certain doom, and eaten their flesh until their clean bones gleamed in the moonlight. Elizabeth merely sighed.

Now, I thought I told you children, I'm the evil witch of the woods. I'll turn you into a toad and eat you I will.

"You won't do that" Piped in one child.
    "Yeah, you'll turn us into lots of frogs." chimed in another.

Elizabeth smiled, and then started slowly chanting in a deep, ancient tongue. For a moment, her violet eyes turned to slats, like that of a great predatory cat. The children didn't understand what she was saying, but looked in deep awe at the spectacle unfolding before them.

Within a few bated breaths, white wisps of light descended from the forest, like a set of lamplights that hung in mid air. Each child was tapped gently on the nose by the light, and screamed in delight, and in a gaggle were herded back by the little balls of light back to the village and to their parents.

Elizabeth didn't much like the town. She liked the people sure enough, but she knew that evil witches of the forest were supposed to live alone, isolated from all of that. She watched the peaceful village from a hillock for a few idle hours before she heard a lurching flapping noise settle down beside her.

Hello Archibald. What news have you today?

"Well for one, once again, the dreaded evil witch of the diamond lake woods fails to actually do her bloody job, that's what." crowed the battered old Raven.

Hush Archibald. What gossip around town is there? Are the Haversons still arguing over the colour of the fence?

"Of course they are. But I have a far jucier bit of gossip for you today Lizzy..."
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2008-12-09 at 02:09 AM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Camael

At the bar sits an angel, happily trying to engage the drunk mortals around him. Like a young man watching his friends get hammered for the first time, he seems to find everything going on around him entertaining. Where a handsome man with a four-meter wingspan would ordinarily draw more than his fair number of stares, everyone seems to be used to this one. Aside from a few patrons from out of town, nobody gives him a second glance.

No, I'm trying to tell you...you're not listening to me, are you?

So accustomed are the patrons to the presence of this divine messenger in their midst that even the drunk he's talking to seems to be ignoring him.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Kiera

The young black-haired barmaid sighed again. The day was yet another bad one, and she still hadn't gotten any information yet. The human's eye narrowed as she tried to pick out the informants. Where was that...

Her internal thoughts were disrupted by when she spotted the telltale mark. Arms crossed across the lap, left middle finger wearing a green-studded ring. She quickly went to the bar, filled up a beer mug, and walked to the person with the ring. Offering the mug as a pretext for sitting by him and filling up his cup, she sat down next to him. The man asked, "Terror's Whips?"

Kiera answered him by lifting the sleeve on her left shoulder. A whip had been tattooed into the skin, the flagellant part dripping with blood. The gang sign had been etched into her skin when she was first initiated.

Shaking her head to clear the old memories away, she asked him, "What is going on this time?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Lolita avatar by neoseph7!

Spoiler
    Show

Epic meter: |

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Meedo

The doors to the tavern thrust open, backlighting a tall, brawny figure that in any other situation or any place of real interest would be heralding the razing of the town under the feet of a blood frenzied horde.

...Instead, the young half orc lady is just impatient with her drinking friends.

"Crimson blood curses, what's taking you all so long?!

That's right; Meedo, as a(n admittedly ferocious) swordslady was not prone to heavy drinking, much to the relief of anyone harboring fears of the above mentioned pillaging; suddenly one may recall she'd been waiting outside for some time now. And even with her training giving her undue patience for one of her kind, she can only wait so long after a half hour or so... Her brow furrows as she stomps in, revealing on her back a large club that looks modified from a decent heavy oar.

"I had higher expectations of this lot..." she grumbles, taking a seat at the bar. Meedo tries to look angry, but given that she looks more human than orc in the face (and you have to admit, she does have pretty almond shaped eyes), it doesn't quite work.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Bea

Another day, another day where she hasn't accomplished anything of importance. Bea was getting really tired of Diamond Lake and as time passed, these sentiments didn't get any better. If anything, they got worse. Walking into The Lazy Dog, her greataxe slunged over her back and in her scale mail, she looks more than little out of place. Fortunately, most of the patrons are already used to her, so they don't spare a second look for her. Finding a spare chair for herself, she sits down and motions to Kiera.

"You wouldn't have a few moments to spare and get this tired paladin a glass of wine? Or a cup of ale, whatever you can get me faster."

Looking around, she spots a few familiar faces. Deciding that drinking alone doesn't suit her today, she steps next to Meedo.

"What seems to be the problem today Meedo? Besides the obvious, that is, us still being in Diamond Lake?"

With a little less then six feet of obvious muscles, Bea is probably somewhat intimidating to look at. The greataxe probably doesn't help this impression. With a long blond hair and a pretty face, she has elicited her share of whistles from guys in Diamond Lake. Despite somewhat terrifying appearance, she is calm and polite, at least as long as nothing obviously evil is going around near her.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Just as the the sleepy tavern of diamond lake began settling into its normal pattern, the swinging door was kicked inward, and in strode the evil witch of the forest, her overly large hat now firmly askew thanks to the rather low door frame. A few people glanced her way, because they hadn't really seen her in the tavern before, so they wondered why she should be there.

Adjusting her hat, Elizabeth shouted out "Where are the adventurers? I heard that not to long ago, a trio stated they wished to visit the cairns. Where are they now? I heard they had a knight most valiant among them, and I do wish to see him. Wait, don't tell me they have left already?"[/colour]

The young woman stamped her foot down. [colour="navy"]"Curses. I can't make it to the cairn alone. Perchance, could any of you come with me? I shall let you keep fair portions of anything we may find."
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2008-12-09 at 01:49 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kiera

The man in front of her answered, "You say you want to improve your life?"

Kiera picked her words carefully: "Only if we all improve."

"How much do you want to?"

"What's your offer?"

The man paused, stroking his chin. "There are rumors of a treasure hidden deep in the cairns that could fetch quite the price..."

"The cairns that that crazy person's talking about?"
    Kiera pointed indignantly at the person who just barged into the tavern. "That person?"

"Like I said, lady, how far are you willing to go?"

Kiera considered the man's words, and then advanced directly to Elizabeth and asked, offering the beer mug, "May I interest you in a drink, ma'am?"
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-09 at 03:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Irate from being called crazy, Elizabeth snatched away the drink. She paused awkwardly for a moment before saying "Thank you." Simmering in irritation for a moment, she drank the beverage deeply, and immediately regretted it. Turning red, and coughing a few times, she glared at the older (?) woman that offered the drink. Apparantly, some of the other patrons were already thinking of the Cairns. She's have to give Archibald a good talking to for missing that.

Some of you were already planning on going? Take me with you. I won't be a burden.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2008-12-09 at 03:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

As Elizabeth marches into the Tavern, exclaiming her nonsense, three humans sitting in the corner - One muscular male with a greatsword sitting nearby, a second male wearing robes and a short black beard, and a third female with daggers on her hips - look up to see her. The muscular stands up and walks over to greet her, hand outstretched in a handshake.
    Hello Madam! I do not know how you found out, but we are indeed looking to explore one of the Cairns! We hear that there could be a great amount of treasure there, and we have been planning an expedition. My name is Auric, and these are my friends Khellek and Tirra. We could always use another helping hand! After all, they say that there are many dangerous things to be found in the Stirgenest Cairn!
    With that last comment, a couple of people snort or start quietly laughing to themselves. After all, anyone under the age of 20 knows that there is nothing to be found in the Stirgenest . . . it's been picked clean.

An albino half-orc, whom you all recognize as one of Balabar Smenk's Thugs - Kullen - has taken particular interest in this exchange, and snorts snide comments to his friends while watching intently.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Stirgenest? I'm sorry. I was mistaken. Excuse me.

The despondant young witch quickly excused herself, and moved to speak with the bartender. She leaned over the tall counter to whisper into the older (?) woman's ear. You were planning on going to the other cairns, weren't you. You're going to the whispering cairns, aren't you? Please, take me with you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kiera

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh you're talking to Kiera? She's 18. Not sure if that's older than you are.

Looking at the witch with distaste, Kiera looks back at the man, then takes a deep breath. As if every word she said was torture, she replied, "Uh.....sadly.......yes......."
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

((Elizabeth is 107 years old, but is equivalent to a 15 year old human, which somewhat blurs the lines. Hence the question mark.))

Please. I beseech thee, I must go. I can be very useful, and I won't ever be in the way.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Kiera

Still give Elizabeth a paranoid look, Kiera points to the bar and says, "I've got work. Make yourself useful...or I guess....as useful as you can be, and we'll see..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Both somewhat affronted, and more than a little impatient, Elizabeth gave a curt nod. Turning left and right to see what work could be done to make this all go faster, she pulled out her broom, and began casting.

Forest spirits of the hearth and home,
    help clean, without suds or foam.

((OOC prestidigitation))

As she moved from one end of the bar to the other, it quickly became sparkling clean. Patrons who's drinks were either to warm or to cold found their drinks to be of the perfect temperature when she walked past, and bland foods became exotic.

16. - Top - End - #16

Camael

As the witch moves past Camael, he turns to stare with unsubtle naivete. Somehow, in the week or so that he's been in town, he's never seen her before. So distracted is he that the act of turning brings one of his wings around to smack one of the patrons nearby in the back of the head.

Alarmed and dismayed, Camael pats her on the head to make sure he didn't do any lasting damage (mortals are so fragile!) and hopes that the orc isn't feeling belligerent.

Sorry, sorry! Haven't quite mastered the whole wings-indoors thing yet. Say, that's a big oar you have there. Do you own a boat?

Even the angel himself has to cringe inwardly at this awkward attempt to make conversation.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Lolita

Elizabeth quickly cleans up faster than Lolita could have ever done. Shaking her head, Lolita said, "You really are anxious, huh?"

A short while later, Lolita appears ready to depart.

"Is anyone else with you, ma'am?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Meedo

"Impatience, Bea, impatience." the half orc gives a vicious glare towards the albino, so focused in hate that she only nudges the winged man aside instead of a punch to the teeth.

No, she approaches the trio approached by the witch. Ignoring Elizabeth, she addresses them with a sharp tone. "I figured you'd be leaving for the cairn already. But in anycase, I'm lending my... sword arm to this as well."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Bea

Downing her drink in few large gulps, Bea takes after Meedo.

"One person alone won't do much. Who knows what sort of dangers you'll face out there in the cairn. I'm willing to travel along. And besides, getting out of Diamond Lake, even if for a day or two will do me good."

Her face darkens as she says that.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((I'm assuming Meedo is talking to the group going for Whispering Cairn, not Auric and his group? It's little unclear to me, from your post. Maybe it's just the late hour, but I would still be glad if you clarify that for me.))
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Not used to being ignored, Auric gives a loud huff before ordering another round for his group and going to sit down again. For the rest of the time he is here, though, he casts off hand glances at Elizabeth and anyone she is associating with.

Kullen returns Meedo's nasty sneer, before making a couple more comments to his gang. They then all burst out laughing, all the while shooting glances at Meedo and cracking up a little more.

((Fun Facts!
    Balabar Smenk is one of the local mine managers, separated from his peers for being the most ruthless and corrupt of them all. He not only runs many of the local mines, but also (Allegedly) runs a smuggling ring, and has many groups of thugs that shake up the local populace. Kullen is one of the more popular ones, mainly due to the fact that he looks so odd, being an albino.
    As well, Meedo should harbour extra hate for Kullen; he is the one who came to "collect" her precious sword.))

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Kiera

Coming by with the ordered drinks, Kiera says to Auric, "I couldn't help but overhear...why are you guys heading to the cairns?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

A intelligent, wolf-faced man directed himself to the bar maid. He tipped his pointed, white hat upwards with his gnarled club. "Madam, if we were to tell you the whole story, you would think out entourage that of the addle coven." Ganaz says in his deep, grunted voice.

"However, to satisfy one's young curiosity, believe me, as an envoy to my companions and myself, that we are seekers of fortune, specifically, the one that is withheld in the cairns of which you speak."

He sits down on a near by chair and hands Kiera a silver. "I trust that answers your question, and I do believe that I, being so parched, may ask of you as much eau as one may purchase with the exchange."

Ganaz, the ever-watchful arcanist than dusts off his robe and looks to his companions before the girl again. "And if my explanation has gone over your youthful head, it can best be summarized as this: you'll think we're crazy, but we're adventurers looking for gold, and I want a lot of water"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Eau, as in French for water? That was a horrible horrible pun!

Kiera

Nearing spanking herself in the face with her hand over how atrocious that pun about the water was, Kiera nevertheless brings water to the table.

"And do you have any plans about when you're setting off and what you're expecting to find?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

What else do you think we would be looking to find? huffs Auric, obviously disgruntled now. Treasure, naturally. And we plan to set out very soon. And I hope that no one else finds a damn thing!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

You all agree that a good nights sleep is in order, and that maybe it will get you away from all of the hub-bub in the bar. You agree to meet outside the bar tomorrow morning at 9:00, and set out from there.

((Take a nap, prepare some spells, and head out. The moment someone says "The group leaves the town heading in the direction of the cairn" I will continue on. Before that, make sure you are all ready for some adventuring.))

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

The group leaves the town heading in the direction of the cairn

Spoiler
    Show
    ( Someone had to say it.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Elizabeth sprinted down the old forest road, only a few moments late. At least insofar as she knew. It was difficult to tell the position of the sun and thus the time due to the dense forest, but by her reckoning, it was probably about 9:00.

Catching up to the rest of the group as they started down the road, she brandished her broom menacingly (?) and said "I'm ready to go. And I suspect we should leave soon, lest the other suspect that we are up to something." ((Others meaning NPC adventurures))
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2008-12-15 at 11:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Meedo

"I don't care what anyone thinks, now hurry up! We're wasting valuable time!!!"

Meedo bellows back, already in a foul mood for having to wait so long; she's up ahead in the lead, or worse, way ahead of the others to warrant her shouting like this. Either way, she's not in a mood to be provoked, or asked about why she uses a boat oar as a weapon...

29. - Top - End - #29

Camael

Pacing at the front of the group, humming to himself and skipping every few steps, Camael's having the best day of his short existence. Finally, doing what he came here to do!

Turning at the sound of Elizabeth's voice, he smiles broadly and waves.

Hello, witch! Welcome!

He's not known for his tact, but he means well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Bea

Getting a good night sleep, Bea is in a pretty cheerful mood today. At least for herself.

"So, any indications what can we expect at this cairn? Dangers, or just a stroll in the cave?"

She is not from around and it shows.