New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 133 The Battle For Gobwin Knob, Page 120

Specifically, the Mathamancy quotes were payment for Charlie not attacking Stanley at the chokepoint (and/or not allying with Translyvito)

The reason Charlie isn't attacking GK is simply because he stood to gain more by not attacking (an arkentool and theoretically weakened defenses), and currently it is no longer his turn so he can't leave the airspace.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    No. The only agreement currently between Parson and Charlie is that Parson still owes Charlie a number of calculations. That deal does not prevent Charlie from attacking GK forces.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0117.html the last 3 panels is where Charlie sets his conditions. 1) Will not leave airspace, and 2) assist Ansom if necessary

Conditon 2 has kicked in ONCE Ansom agrees to the new terms but until then Parson is running with this

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0132.html

By Charlie the mentioning that Ansom has given Charlie No incentive to stop him, and Do not break anything of mine, is a tounge in cheek cease-fire, or another way to say it I will just look away for a moment or two while you have your fun at Ansom's expense.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kreszantas View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0117.html the last 3 panels is where Charlie sets his conditions. 1) Will not leave airspace, and 2) assist Ansom if necessary
    That's not a formal agreement with Parson. That's just him telling Parson what he's planning to tell Ansom, with the note that it might be true.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

They are allowed to pick fights, on units entering the airspace. However at the time BEFORE the agreement button is pushed. Charlie and Parson are on the cease-fire agreement. So techincally Charlie can NOT attack anything that does not attack HIM FIRST the airspace. Which was what my [lack of quote] response was to the Archons being able to do something with Jetstone THIS turn.
    I think you're missing something. In Parson's first agreement with Charlie, Parson says Charlie is "bowing out", but in the same conversation(with Wanda) Parson warns that Charlie might attack himself on Charlie's turn. Here, Parson talks Charlie out of not attacking the garrison(as expected). He only gives Parson one thing of value in that conversation, and that is ending turn. That, in itself, prevents Charlie from going on the offensive. Also, Parson specifically says here that he doesn't "trust Charlie not to shoot them down", with them being WAF. The whole conversation between Parson and Maggie is about if its safe to send the WAF through Charlie's forces to attack Ansom. When Parson contacts Charlie(same comic), Charlie doesn't say anything like 'we agreed I wouldn't', but rather more like 'I have no reason to want to'. No one ever indicates that Charlie is under a cease-fire with Parson.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

it's not a cease fire it's a temporary nonagression pact, which has the implied understanding of being negated by either party at will

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    it's not a cease fire it's a temporary nonagression pact, which has the implied understanding of being negated by either party at will
    More like a "You see this baseball bat? If you don't do want I want, it's going to have a party with your kneecaps."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enthar View Post
    We know from

that physical objects can pass between hex barriers. They do not need 'move', cause that would mean that arrows would have their own independent move stat, which would necessarily be zeroed when it wasn't their turn, etc etc. So, suffice to say that Arrows can make the transition.
    --
    enthar
    I think you're leaping to conclusions comparing intelligence reports to flying arrows. He has to use hats!

The hats are the Haxx. Teleportation does not equate to linear movement.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2008-12-22 at 04:56 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

8. - Top - End - #338
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    I think you're leaping to conclusions comparing intelligence reports to flying arrows. He has to use hats!

The hats are the Haxx. Teleportation does not equate to linear movement.
    In context, Parson was referring to Ansom's limited ability to gather intel -- he had to dispatch scouts with message hats. (His Klog entry after talking to Maggie mentions that scout-type units have Natural Thinkamancy reporting ability, e.g. Vinny seeing what his bats see, but he didn't know about that then).

The reference to notes passing across hex barriers was in reference to Rob's comment. Going back to that, my interpretation is that Rob was saying that there's a set of rules for what can and can't happen in Erfworld, that the plot was thought out to maintain consistency with those rules, and that not all of them can be inferred from what we've seen in the story so far.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    The reference to notes passing across hex barriers was in reference to Rob's comment. Going back to that, my interpretation is that Rob was saying that there's a set of rules for what can and can't happen in Erfworld, that the plot was thought out to maintain consistency with those rules, and that not all of them can be inferred from what we've seen in the story so far.
    Yes, although the "notes" may also use some kind of Erfworldian magic allowing them to cross hex limits outside the units turn.

I also wonder about Erfworldian wildlife (meaning also monsters and such). Is it confined to a particular hex? We've seen pigeons, and I don't suppose GK's treasury supported them. We still don't know about untamed dwagons and gwiffons (and feral archons).
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-12-22 at 07:35 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Yes, although the "notes" may also use some kind of Erfworldian magic allowing them to cross hex limits outside the units turn.

I also wonder about Erfworldian wildlife (meaning also monsters and such). Is it confined to a particular hex? We've seen pigeons, and I don't suppose GK's treasury supported them. We still don't know about untamed dwagons and gwiffons (and feral archons).
    Oooohh . . . gotta wonder how a feral Archon would dress . . .

And I guess Erflife falls into the 'unwritten code' category, unless Plotomancy requires its manifestation. In which case, the Titanic Codeamancers get to crackin' . . .
    The Truth Will Set You Free. But First, It Will Piss You Off.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

On a side note: now would be the best moment ever for Parson to send a thinkagramm to Ansom. It only has to distract him for 3 or 4 seconds so he can't see the contract and the fliers can capture him. 1 seconds of confusion when the thinkagramm shows up, 1 second when Parson shows up and Ansom wonders why, 1 second of concentrating to abort the call. The End.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #342
    Halfling in the Playground

All I want for Christmas is one epic Erfworld update

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonath View Post
    All I want for Christmas is one epic Erfworld update
    I agree, though only if it would not interfere with Rob and Jamie's holiday celebrations. Family first, y'know?
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-12-23 at 09:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Or the quality of the comic of course...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    On a side note: now would be the best moment ever for Parson to send a thinkagramm to Ansom.
    I'm not sure Ansom is required to pick it up, though. His reaction and gestures the first time seemed like someone answering a cellphone, and Maggie's statement when she was interrupted by Stanley's call ("I had no choice") sorta implies to me that that's just because it's her Lord -- in other words, Ansom might get a thinkagram, but it'd be nothing more than an annoying beeping in his head or something until he answers it.

Hard to say for sure, though.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I'm not sure Ansom is required to pick it up, though. His reaction and gestures the first time seemed like someone answering a cellphone, and Maggie's statement when she was interrupted by Stanley's call ("I had no choice") sorta implies to me that that's just because it's her Lord -- in other words, Ansom might get a thinkagram, but it'd be nothing more than an annoying beeping in his head or something until he answers it.
    Probably -- if you had to answer a Thinkagram, even if it interfered with something more important you were trying to do (like, I dunno, fight), Thinkamancers would just be too powerful.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Barbarian in the Playground

Probably -- if you had to answer a Thinkagram, even if it interfered with something more important you were trying to do (like, I dunno, fight), Thinkamancers would just be too powerful.
    If you're fighting, you ignore the little window or dismiss it immediately. And thinkagrams do take some effort on the part of the caster. You could affect a few fights by distracting a unit, but it's hardly a technique that can really make a difference unless you know exactly who and when to call.
    Quo vadis?

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well I do not know how about this... Ansom had to concentrate to take the incoming from Thinkagram from Maggie and had to say "Bide" like some sort of "password" to allow incoming communications, therefore I doubt this style of Thinkagram would work not on GK's turn.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

19. - Top - End - #349

Well I do not know how about this... Ansom had to concentrate to take the incoming from Thinkagram from Maggie and had to say "Bide" like some sort of "password" to allow incoming communications, therefore I doubt this style of Thinkagram would work not on GK's turn.
    "Bide" is a somewhat archaic word meaning "wait" -- Ansom was telling Webinar to put their conversation on hold while he took the message.

20. - Top - End - #350

"Bide" is a somewhat archaic word meaning "wait" -- Ansom was telling Webinar to put their conversation on hold while he took the message.
    While not part of everyday speech or even of my own idiolect, the phrase "bide one's time" is not uncommon.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-12-24 at 02:12 PM.
    Quo vadis?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd imagine that the Thinkamancer-interrupting-combat thing would not be by Thinkagram, but by direct psionic attack. Call it a "Thinkaslam".

Of course, if that is possible, Charlie can have a party with that Arkendish in some fool's poor head... (Perhaps this is a power he refuses to show, due to the fact that it's not powerful enough to dominate completely, but IS powerful enough to make everyone hate him for using it.)

It doesn't sound like Thinkaslams are possible anywhere in the comic, though, so Thinkagrams can probably be ignored.

Now, on the other other hand, if Parson's in a tough fight and Charlie decides to be a boop and demand a complex statistical evaluation right there...

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenitor View Post
    Now, on the other other hand, if Parson's in a tough fight and Charlie decides to be a boop and demand a complex statistical evaluation right there...
    Charlie's enough of a boop to have thought of this, but as far as we know there is no time constraint on when Parson has to deliver the results of the calculation. Even if there is such a limitation, it could be as loose as 'by the end of the turn', which would mean that Parson could finish up any combat he was currently engaged in/running from.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-12-24 at 10:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

But... if Charlie has it in the contract, then Parson would have read it and made sure it couldn't disrupt him. And besides unless thinkagrams CAN interrupt people then Charlie can't ask him anyway.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

I understood what bide meant to begin with that is what makes the 2 panels involving Ansom and Webinar some what vague. The hat used a password 'livingston' but that is an artifact, however the password was not used later on in Webinars transmission.

I guess what I am getting at, is the use of thinkagrams from within your faction use no password, outside "may" require one and this not confirmed.

There is simply not enough information, and used the word "may" in my prior statement, and I surely did not say it was fact (canon) in that regards.

25. - Top - End - #355

I understood what bide meant to begin with that is what makes the 2 panels involving Ansom and Webinar some what vague. The hat used a password 'livingston' but that is an artifact, however the password was not used later on in Webinars transmission.
    The second use of the hat is shown here.

It is possible, though, that Ansom used the password in between the eleventh and twelfth panel; we can see in the eleventh panel that he was preparing to use the wand in the same manner that he used it the first time to receive a message. I don't believe that there is any real reason to suggest that he didn't use the password to activate the hat. The writer simply felt, I think, that he didn't need to show the entire process again.
    Quo vadis?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

I read this comic a lot. I like it.. in fact I really want to know
    when is the next one coming out been waiting forever, it seems like.,
    ~Morchaint
    Eat dessert first, Life is Uncertain.
    Eat Chocolate and ask questions later.
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!

Official Bloodsplatterer of the Cult of Belkar
    That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do so for the purposes of the plot.

I had images. and I thought I had spoilers
    guess they went away.

27. - Top - End - #357

PaladinGuy

The moment reminded me of a Trump contact from Roger Zelazny's Amber series, and one in particular:

I drew forth the cards I had taken from Benedict. I removed his own from the deck. It shimmered before me, and after a time there was contact.

He was mounted on the same red and black horse on which he had pursued me. He was in motion and there was fighting all about him. Seeing that he confronted another horseman, I remained still. He spoke but a single word.

"Bide," he said.

He dispatched his opponent with two quick movements of his blade. Then he wheeled his mount and began to withdraw from the fray. I saw that his horse's reins had been lengthened and were looped and tied loosely about the remainder of his right arm. It took him over ten minutes to remove himself to a place of relative calm. When he had, he regarded me, and I could tell that he was also studying the prospect that lay at my back.

--from The Guns of Avalon

Even Benedict of Amber isn't really up to fighting (or riding hard) while conversing mentally, though the open contact didn't seem to bother him much.
    Last edited by eilandesq; 2008-12-28 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Footnoting quote

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    The second use of the hat is shown here.

It is possible, though, that Ansom used the password in between the eleventh and twelfth panel; we can see in the eleventh panel that he was preparing to use the wand in the same manner that he used it the first time to receive a message. I don't believe that there is any real reason to suggest that he didn't use the password to activate the hat. The writer simply felt, I think, that he didn't need to show the entire process again.
    Agreed. The first use of the hats with activation words ("Hoffa" and "Livingston") and the general statement "They use codes" is enough to indicate the use of passwords -- generally, it can be assumed to happen "offstage" between panels unless there's a reason to go into more detail.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-12-28 at 11:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

Agreed. The first use of the hats with activation words ("Hoffa" and "Livingston") and the general statement "They use codes" is enough to indicate the use of passwords -- generally, it can be assumed to happen "offstage" between panels unless there's a reason to go into more detail.
    I assumed that this referred to coded messages themselves and that the words were more of a spell component. (Come to think of it, this would be an example of magic words used by non-casters in order to invoke external, in this case magic-item related, magics.)
    Quo vadis?