New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: 133 The Battle For Gobwin Knob, Page 120

One last thing before i fade back into the shadows...

Charlescomm already ended turn. If they join the alliance, I don't think they would be able to attack. Defend, yes... Attack, no... If they can, that would be a HUGELY exploitable rule and I would really have to call shenanigans.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    By my count, Jillian had at least 5 unipegataurs and 6-8 gwiffons before Wanda attacked. Only 4 of those gwiffons made it to the pass. Disregarding Orly causalties, thats at least 8-10 sizeable units that the AA took down.
    She had something like 13 gwiffons, at least that's the number of yellow thingies I count when she approaches Wanda. I don't think gwiffons were killed by Wanda.

At the time of the donut of doom there were 5 gwiffons with a rather large move (24+ when she got rid of Webinar). One of them got killed in the fight. It makes sense that the surviving four are the ones that went with Jillian to the ambush site. The rest should be halfway, ready to be used if Stanley had made it and needed to be hunted, or to go back to the column if needed.

Jillian probably still has a lot of units with her.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-12-11 at 07:47 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grumbleboom, you'd be right. The author has already verified that Charlescomm has ended turn and can't get another this round.

Author on the turn rules
    Last edited by Kreistor; 2008-12-11 at 07:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleboom View Post
    One last thing before i fade back into the shadows...

Charlescomm already ended turn. If they join the alliance, I don't think they would be able to attack. Defend, yes... Attack, no... If they can, that would be a HUGELY exploitable rule and I would really have to call shenanigans.
    It's more a question of zones inisde city hexes, if charlescomm can move between zones outside of their turn. They could attack Wanda while she flew there, no problems there (TV and Jillian actively attacked Stanley on his turn ). The question was if they could enter another zone outside of their turn. The authors have clarified that, they can not.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-12-11 at 07:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

So if Charlie allies with Ansom GK will get to go before Charlie and RCC can act again. Would that give time for Stanley to make it back? I think it might.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    She had something like 13 gwiffons, at least that's the number of yellow thingies I count when she approaches Wanda. I don't think gwiffons were killed by Wanda.
    Why? Gut feeling or something in the comic?

At the time of the donut of doom there were 5 gwiffons with a rather large move (24+ when she got rid of Webinar). One of them got killed in the fight. It makes sense that the surviving four are the ones that went with Jillian to the ambush site. The rest should be halfway, ready to be used if Stanley had made it and needed to be hunted, or to go back to the column if needed.
    I'm fairly certain that all Gwiffons have a max move stat of at least ~40. Reason being that we know that Jillian's personal Gwiffon has a max 50+ move. I believe that most of the time, when we hear talk of move, they are referring to current_move, rather than max_move. Given that the only time we here of a 4 move gwiffon, its a used one, and Jillian orders Webinar to conduct a search that would expend 4 move to do, we know that Webinar's mount must have had a max_move higher than 4. This sort of confusion is rather easy, and happens from time to time with the HP stat, since no one bothers to say max_hp or current_hp.

Finally, two questions:

If some gwiffons couldn't make the full trip to the mountain pass, why did Jillian not leave them behind with Ansom? Ansom really could've used some flyers.

If all the gwiffons could've made the pass in time, why would Jillian leave some behind, considering the facts that she doubted it was possible with what they did have with them and considering the loss in forces they received before TV ended turn(Wanda's blast and Charlie's double-cross).

Jillian probably still has a lot of units with her.
    Unless you're right, and Jillian has a pack of gwiffons hidden in some hex, no she doesn't, outside TV forces. She has 4 or less gwiffons and whatever orlys that survived the fight with Stanley(admittedly, we don't know when Jack started casting nor how capable illusions are at damage).
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

If some gwiffons couldn't make the full trip to the mountain pass, why did Jillian not leave them behind with Ansom? Ansom really could've used some flyers.
    She could not, she would need a warlord from her side to stay with them to prevent them from attacking the coalition as soon as she left their stack.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jillian was given command of the all the fliers, her turn combined with Transylvito's turn would allow all the ones she took with her to make it, has she not decided to stop and have tea with Wanda on the way.

Her classification of Barbarian means that Jetstone could not "absorb" her troops to their side while she was out. Vinny indicates he has the control not Ansom by saying I should have left bats in the column.

Note only the units with the commands being given outside the wall are obeying (the bluish tin hats similar to jetstone) match that style the Uniroyal or the one giving the order to hurry the siege up.

Note also none of Sofa King or the Redhead commanders units doing ANYTHING since they have not ordered it. Ansom may LEAD the RCC but he can not force another faction to do something against that Kingdoms best wishes. Tarfu and the forest gumps with the 3 dragons is a good example of this as well.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

9. - Top - End - #189
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raguzert View Post
    Nice comic. I believe ansom wanting to ally to charlie, is so that the archons can 'legally' defend him, being in the same space.
    Apparently, they aren't exactly in the same space; the Archons are in GK airspace and Ansom is on the outer walls. (Even when he was flying, he was apparently still in "outer walls" rather than "airspace" in Erf-mechanics, enabling him to engage the mass of uncroaked -- that's a distinction that eluded me earlier.)

If he makes a deal with Charlie, the Archons could engage the flying uncroaked (they're both in GK airspace). Even if they can't engage the uncroaked ground-pounders on the walls, they may be so individually weak that Ansom can hold them off even without the Arkenpliers; he's still a rather strong unit in his own right.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-12-11 at 08:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Why? Gut feeling or something in the comic?
    Where did the other fliers fall? Ansom didn't find any remains outside of the walls or the other RCC leaders would have commented on that. If there were gwiffons inside the walls why didn't Wanda try to uncroak them? Gwiffons are rather powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Apparently, they aren't exactly in the same space; the Archons are in GK airspace and Ansom is on the outer walls. (Even when he was flying, he was apparently still in "outer walls" rather than "airspace" in Erf-mechanics, enabling him to engage the mass of uncroaked -- that's a distinction that eluded me earlier.)
    Good point, but if he jumps from the wall? Is that airspace? Can the archons pick him up?
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-12-11 at 09:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0084.html

I find it interesting we have seen any GK forces of the race of men yet. The 135 Pikers, and 48 Stabbers have remained invisible throughout the entirety of the comic.
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-11 at 09:12 PM.
    "How do I know that you know that my mouth is my own?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surprise! View Post
    RCC units surrounded the city during that same turn. If there were dead gwiffons or unipegataurs around them, they would have seen them. They would only disappear next morning. Wanda had a lot of time to play with her new toys before Ansom ended turn, so she could have uncroaked the extra units (even in a weaker form), had any of them fallen inside the walls.

It's possible they all died, but we only saw 4 of them croaking. Until Jillian gets back we won't know for sure.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-12-11 at 09:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

RCC units surrounded the city during that same turn. If there were dead gwiffons or unipegataurs around them, they would have seen them. They would only disappear next morning. Wanda had a lot of time to play with her new toys before Ansom ended turn, so she could have uncroaked the extra units (even in a weaker form), had any of them fallen inside the walls.

It's possible they all died, but we only saw 4 of them croaking. Until Jillian gets back we won't know for sure.
    But it is also true the more time she spends on the less amount of units, the stronger they will be. Perhaps she was going for quality over quantity. And we don't know if the Gwriffons are stronger then the unipegataurs
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-11 at 09:52 PM.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

But it is also true the more time she spends on the less amount of units, the stronger they will be. Perhaps she was going for quality over quantity. And we don't know if the Gwriffons are stronger then the unipegataurs
    Yes, it's possible, maybe she would need a huge investment to make an uncroaked gwiffon fly. If there are only 3 gwiffons left that means that even after the ambush GK has a bigger flying force that RCC. They'd really need the archons. Stanley's arrival on next turn could end the battle.

But until Jillian comes back we have no certainty on this. If there were dead gwiffons inside the walls, Parson could have been snacking on them.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

Where did the other fliers fall? Ansom didn't find any remains outside of the walls or the other RCC leaders would have commented on that. If there were gwiffons inside the walls why didn't Wanda try to uncroak them? Gwiffons are rather powerful.
    Parson ate them for breakfast. They were deliciously stale and crunchy.

Either that or the attack was powerful enough to utterly destroy some of the units, leaving no corpse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorSLH View Post
    105 - Charlie was planning on attacking Gobwin Knob to collect the Mathamancy watch artifact and, if possible, Parson. (Or, at least, that's what he was claiming he would do.) That changed when Parson offered him the Arkenpliers. Afterwards, his stated plan was to hold back and "watch the show" unless Ansom offers enough for assistance- which means he risks losing the watch and Parson entirely. (A 40% chance of Parson being overwhelmed next turn is not negligable.) So either:

A) Parson is right, and Charles wants the pliers bad enough to take a substantial risk for them.

or

B) Charles enjoys watching a well-fought battle enough to risk substantial loss for no other purpose.

Option "B" is not impossible given human (or Erfworlder) nature, but I do find it less likely.
    Well there's a couple factors that weigh towards B.

1. Charles would have had to conquer the city solo to capture Parson immeadiately. Losses inevitable. By engaging selectively from the airspace without needing to actually send Archons to capture the city he can be in a support role and still achieve his goals.

2. Capturing the city directly would make it clear to everyone involved that there was something Charles wanted in GK especially if he departed next turn leaving the new city undefended. Why tip his hand?

3. Further independent action reminds the other kingdom that Charlescomm isn't just your friendly neighborhood mercenary, but actually a full fledged faction with goals and objectives all of its own.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

I find it interesting we have seen any GK forces of the race of men yet. The 135 Pikers, and 48 Stabbers have remained invisible throughout the entirety of the comic.
    They may be more valuable and powerful than cannon fodder uncroaked. There may even be an element of racism in Stanley's original troop deployments. However, we know that Parson would not let that affect his plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Either that or the attack was powerful enough to utterly destroy some of the units, leaving no corpse.
    I mentioned this before. But we could also speculate that a minimum level X of energy in needed to uncroak a unit such that it retains its natural flight ability. As such, the flying units seen were all that Wanda could raise to that level after having spent some of her strength using/invoking the air defenses. By the next turn, the rest of the corpses will have disappeared.

I still stand by the assertion that the archons can at any moment attack any unit in GK's airspace; they don't need Ansom or to ally with GK to do that. Why else would Parson ask Charlie for what was essentially permission to sortie Wanda and her flight group?
    Quo vadis?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eraniverse View Post
    Well there's a couple factors that weigh towards B.

1. Charles would have had to conquer the city solo to capture Parson immeadiately. Losses inevitable. By engaging selectively from the airspace without needing to actually send Archons to capture the city he can be in a support role and still achieve his goals.

2. Capturing the city directly would make it clear to everyone involved that there was something Charles wanted in GK especially if he departed next turn leaving the new city undefended. Why tip his hand?

3. Further independent action reminds the other kingdom that Charlescomm isn't just your friendly neighborhood mercenary, but actually a full fledged faction with goals and objectives all of its own.
    There's no reason for Charlie to act independently right now. He can enter an alliance with Jetstone via an agreement and, when victory is imminent, break the alliance and go before Jetstone to capture Parson.

I think Parson knows that and needs to make sure that the turn order remains the way it is in order to keep Charlie "honest" until he gets the Arkenpliers. That's another reason I think that Jack may have Stanley headed toward Charlescomm instead of GK. I suspect that Charlie doesn't have enough units at home to hold off Stanley's stack, so he's going to have to bring Archons back from GK. If he does, he won't be able to wait until after GK's turn to do it. He'll have to move more quickly, which means no alliance with Jetstone.

I could be wrong, though, in that his agreement with Jetstone may not constitute an alliance. It would seem an awful cheat if it didn't, though.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mroozee View Post
    If I were representing Ansom, I'd argue that this constitutes an unconscionable adhesion contract, particularly if the terms have changed.
    Hm... Possibly, although if Ansom gets 'some' value, as in his life, that would appear to be proportional and worthy enough as inducement. Therefore, neither side would necessarily be unjustly enriched.

Ansom could always make that argument though.
    Kalen the Kobold Paladin by Sneak ; Avatar by Shirwill Jack. (Thanks!)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JazzManJim View Post
    There's no reason for Charlie to act independently right now. He can enter an alliance with Jetstone via an agreement and, when victory is imminent, break the alliance and go before Jetstone to capture Parson.

I think Parson knows that and needs to make sure that the turn order remains the way it is in order to keep Charlie "honest" until he gets the Arkenpliers. That's another reason I think that Jack may have Stanley headed toward Charlescomm instead of GK. I suspect that Charlie doesn't have enough units at home to hold off Stanley's stack, so he's going to have to bring Archons back from GK. If he does, he won't be able to wait until after GK's turn to do it. He'll have to move more quickly, which means no alliance with Jetstone.

I could be wrong, though, in that his agreement with Jetstone may not constitute an alliance. It would seem an awful cheat if it didn't, though.
    But Parson will get the pliers on Ansom's part of this turn. If Charlie joins up with RCC then Charlie's troops won't get to do anything other than attack airborne troops this turn. Next turn they won't get to go until RCC, which is after GK. If they don't ally then Charlie gets to go before GK. So it looks like there is a small penalty for Charlie to ally with RCC as it allows Parson to regroup, heal, perhaps unlock some of the powers of the pliers and it might allow for Stanley to return all before Charlie and RCC get to act. If Charlie does not ally with RCC then Charlie will get to go before GK next turn.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Either I am missing something or some are trying to read to much into the lastest Ansom / Charlie exchange. Simply put Ansom could not seal the deal, as soon as his royal boop is on the line he has call on others to do "things" for him. I think the re-alliance may and I say may be the final straw that causes the rest to break mid-turn, or possibly the ones that are sitting already on the sidelines.

Plus if his will is the Titan's will this SHOULD have served as a wake up call to Ansom, but alas it has not. Fate magic has worked against him and with the way he has presented the pliers as "his saving grace" or "his device he relies on" too many times. The pliers (with a little help) have/had a mind of their own and decided to pick a new friend. Now we also do not know that Wanda actually getting the pliers may actually harm her instead, all we know is that Ansom held them and used it as "superior weapon against undead".

This is all apart of the "plot/story" hook we are on so let us read/see it play out.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground

I see no reason not to think that the Pikers, Stabbers and Archers are not all Gobwins, just as the fighters and knights are.

I only just noticed that the K. I. S. S. are gobwins today (check out their little horns) and without that information the chart is more confusing, but it looks to me like all of the infantry listed in that strip are gobwins.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpif View Post
    I see no reason not to think that the Pikers, Stabbers and Archers are not all Gobwins, just as the fighters and knights are.

I only just noticed that the K. I. S. S. are gobwins today (check out their little horns) and without that information the chart is more confusing, but it looks to me like all of the infantry listed in that strip are gobwins.
    I agree. I was puzzled at first but then thought, the knights could be hobgobwins. (Bigger meaner gobwins.) And it makes a distenction between fighters. (Low level) Pikers.(mid to high level) and Stabbers (mid level) these are probably subtypes of infantry. This was further re-enforced by the stip were Hamster and Stanley are reviewing troops and they walk past the Gobwin pikers, "Very fierce."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpif View Post

The list specifies goblin and uncroaked units already though. Those entries just say stabber, pikers, and archers. Besides where did Lord Manpower the Temporary come from?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html

Wanda say fewer then 200 living MEN
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JazzManJim View Post
    That's another reason I think that Jack may have Stanley headed toward Charlescomm instead of GK. I suspect that Charlie doesn't have enough units at home to hold off Stanley's stack, so he's going to have to bring Archons back from GK. If he does, he won't be able to wait until after GK's turn to do it. He'll have to move more quickly, which means no alliance with Jetstone.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0128.html

Jack mentions that they are flying back to Gobwin Knob, No doubt with Vinnie and the rest hot on their heels. By a plot perspective I am betting that Commander Zamussel will rescue Ansom in the nic of time.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

No, ok your right Suprise. It does say living men and the warlords make sense then. But it bugs me, and Im sure others, that we just havnt seen them yet.

Also there has been some speculaition that Stanley would return next turn however, didn't he have to take two turns to get out there. Wasnt that why Jack was veiling them. (Albeti poorly.)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphRainy View Post
    No, ok your right Suprise. It does say living men and the warlords make sense then. But it bugs me, and Im sure others, that we just havnt seen them yet.

Also there has been some speculaition that Stanley would return next turn however, didn't he have to take two turns to get out there. Wasnt that why Jack was veiling them. (Albeti poorly.)
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, Zamussel says that is because Stanley is unfamiliar with the territory. Which is why her units got there a turn before. Perhaps if the course was chosen by the Titans, then they sent him down the fasts way that Zamussel used.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0128.html

Jack mentions that they are flying back to Gobwin Knob, No doubt with Vinnie and the rest hot on their heels. By a plot perspective I am betting that Commander Zamussel will rescue Ansom in the nic of time.
    Jillian cannot, I believe, move until Transylvito's next turn; if she allies back with the RCC, this would actually push her move back to after GK at the very least.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-12-12 at 02:55 AM.
    Quo vadis?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Uncroaked Archon... could she be hiding inside the carpet? Cleopatra style I mean. Items can resize so it could have molded around her and, well, where else could she be?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphRainy View Post
    Also there has been some speculaition that Stanley would return next turn however, didn't he have to take two turns to get out there.
    It depends, Jack may know the shortest way to get out of the mountains.