New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Phantom Queen [GURPS 4E]

As the zombies have the group surrounded, in the almost silent battleground echoes a shout quite common during those days-and highly disturbing given the situation;
    Ho! Ho! Ho!

Roland forces the two closest zombies to fall back using the light of heaven emanating from his cross and Sascenka manages to escape the trap through the gap.
    Mellisa knocks her own zombie back almost an entire yard and steps through the gap towards the exit of the alley and escape.

Santa Claus (!) flies into the alley, a tall figure clad in the traditional red-and white with a long silver beard that fans left and right in the wind of its passing.
    You have been a very naughty kid. Santa tells the armless zombie, the voice a bit more high-pitched than you'd expect from the seven-foot old elf. And naughty kids have to be punished.
    Flying towards the armless zombie in a blur of movement so fast he doesn't seem to cross the intervening distance at all, Santa lashes out with one hand. You don't see how or why but the zombie leader topples over, its body now sliced in several pieces spread across a couple yards of pavement.

As the other six bodies fall lifeless to the ground, "Santa" turns to face you. Now that the newcomer is standing still, you can see more detail despite the half-light of the alley. While dressed in the traditional Santa uniform complete with silver bells, tiny stars and a large red velvet bag hung over the left shoulder, the newcomer is not a balding old man with a beer gut and a long beard. She is not even a man. Seven feet tall from head to toes-more with the black leather boots and the fluffy red hood-she is very tall for a woman. Pale of skin and green-eyed, athletic but with an angular face and slim, long-fingered hands, she's quite far from the traditional image of St. Nicholas. What you initially mistook for a beard as she came flying in out of the night is a long mane of silver hair that falls in waves over her shoulders and down to the small of her back. Most disturbing of all-apart from the way she flew in, that is-are her eyes; they appear to be empty black holes with greenish flames dancing within.
    And what about you? she asks with a smile, showing dainty fangs. Have you been good or naughty children?

Spoiler
    Show

anyone get the reference?
    Last edited by Belial_the_Leveler; 2009-01-01 at 11:01 AM.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland Sinclair

Roland lowers his sword but does not sheathe it, as he releases his crucifix. "Aren't we all sinners?" Roland says. "Who are you to judge us?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

Mellisa, seeing the change in the battle(and Roland releasing his crucifix), moves back towards the Roland and Sascenka and quietly says to herself "This is getting weird"
    Last edited by Melodramatic; 2009-01-03 at 01:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

The tall woman in santa's uniform sighs and lowers her red hood, fully revealing her pale face. Seeing Roland's sword and crucifix, Sascenka's gun and Mellisa's... special status she sighs and seems to examine you carefully, black eyes meeting your own one by one.
    To answer your question... Roland, yes, we're all sinners. But I am the Executioner for this city. This means I'm secret police, special forces and, occasionally, head spy and assassin for the immediate area. Hunting down wrongdoers and enforcing peace is my job. So when I sensed the use of a huge amount of necromancy in the area, I had to skip the party I was in, fly a mile in ten seconds and come clean things up.
    Obviously annoyed, she removes the santa uniform piece by piece, revealing form-fitting leather and spandex from neck to toes, soft leather boots, a gun belt with a revolver nearly a yard long hanging on each hip and little else.

If the levitation, supernatural speed and obvious strength at ripping a zombie apart had not clued you in, the dreadful aura, pale skin, lack of shadow, unnatural eyes and fangs would have; whatever else she claims to be, the woman is a vampire. And the ease with which she read Roland's name in his mind plus her claim-if it can be believed-of flying a mile in ten seconds indicate she's no run-of-the-mill bloodsucker but an extremely powerful vampire master.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

5. - Top - End - #35

"Must've been one hell of a party" Mellisa says to the woman "So I understand you are who the girl from before mentioned, right? in that case are you able to shed some light on why we were just attacked by zombies?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The vampiress checks the bodies then kneels and touches the ground where the asphalt appears to have been burned and frowns at Mellisa.
    I do not know why these zombies were raised. But the amount of power I felt here? Totally out of proportion to the number of zombies raised-I came here expecting a small army, not just seven of them with a single controller.
    As for this girl you mention, describe her to me, what she did and said-the exact words, if you remember them.

7. - Top - End - #37

"The girl?"Mellisa smiles and says "I believe she was a young redhead named Jessica, she was here before us and her words are hard to remember. Care to tell my why is she important first?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland Sinclair

Roland tries to remember the girl's words in more detail, and relays them if he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    v IQ 11 - (3d6)[13]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

The Executioner seems worried as Mellisa describes the girl and Roland repeats what she said.
    That's Jessica all right. Or so it would seem. But, as you can clearly see, I am not out of town. I also know that Jessica is; she went to Canada to visit her brother yesterday.
    The Executioner paces the length of the alley in slow, even steps and examines everything again.
    Jessica Emrys is important to me because she's a friend. She's also important in general because of her family. But I do not believe what you met was really her. For one, she could have burned these zombies to ash as easily as I destroyed them. For another, she would not have lied about my whereabouts.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland Sinclair

"That is disturbing," Roland says. "Something felt wrong about her, but I assumed it was because she was a vampire."

11. - Top - End - #41

"if you ask me" Mellisa says as in mid-thought "the interesting thing is that whoever was wearing Jessica's face didn't seem to know what killed these people in the first place, not until Saschenka insightfully said they were werewolves" she then looks on the vampress and says "we did tell you we came here to investigate a murder of some kind".
    Last edited by Melodramatic; 2009-01-11 at 08:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The white-haired vampire smiles at Roland.
    Newsflash, boy; supernatural strength doesn't make one a vampire. Jessica is a sorceress-though not an entirely mortal one. As for what happened here, I cannot say. Excluding some few dark sorceries, I am far better at physical combat than true magic. We need to see M...

You aren't going anywhere, girl. Not before I find out what happened to my people!
    The arrival of an older man interrupts whatever Erika was about to say. Prowling silently out of the night, a man in his sixties jumps silently down from the warehouse roof and lands on his feet, having taken the forty-foot drop as easily as he would a single step. Grey-haired and grey-eyed, with the hallmarks of age evident on a once-athletic body clad in worn commando greens, he looks like an old human general rather than a supernatural entity and Roland's cross and holy sword do not react to him at all. Mellisa's senses though pick up the scent of cat and moist soil and an aura of earthly power.

His angry comment strongly indicates that he's a were, a shapeshifter, and a leader at that. He and the Executioner seem to just stare at eachother for a few seconds, possibly conversing without words, then he points straight up; you can see many other forms half-hidden in the dark atop the nearby buildings. Erika smiles and for a split second her face is no longer that of an attractive if black-eyed humanoid female. Superimposed upon the transparent image of her human guise you glimpse an inhuman skeletal visage with a gaping maw of sharp teeth, empty eyesockets where green fires fiercely burn and a halo of darkness around it all. For the same moment Roland's cross burns in his hand then seems to cool and diminish as if cowed. Then, the moment passes and you're not really sure you saw anything at all.

If you're done grandstanding, girl the old shifter says with a smile of his own let's get down to business. We both know you could eat me and my guys for breakfast. We also both know you won't do it. Why don't we discuss things like civilized people then? I still need to know what happened to my men.
    The Executioner sighs.
    Old man, my version of civilized talk involves death spells and tactical nukes. She points at Roland and Mellisa Why don't you take it up with them?

You find yourselves under the scrutiny of the old man and the weight of the unseen gazes of dozens of his hidden subordinates. Under his stare, you realise your hands, clothes and weapons still bear the relatively fresh blood of several werewolf zombies and that now that the zombies have been disabled, they probably won't appear or feel any different than normal corpses. Somehow, Erika the Executioner appears to be completely clean-and you remember the hastily discarded Santa constume she ditched not long ago.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland Sinclair

Roland grimaces at the Executioner. Is she trying to get them killed? He sheathes his sword and turns to face the old man. "My name is Roland Sinclair. These men were dead when we arrived. They didn't stay that way, though. Some sort of necromancy was at work here."

14. - Top - End - #44

Mellisa smiles to hide her nervousness and says in agreement "Indeed, we did not preform this heinous act, but tried to find out who did and therefore help these poor souls by assisting justice "she stops to think for a second and continues " The problem is that before our investigation began to bare fruit we encountered.... resistance, so to speak"