New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Evolution 6.6 - The World

Masstakran

One day, a young masstakra was surprised by a predatory creature whilst eating a large meal. The masstakra was eating the marrow from a jagged bone, and when the creature attacked, the masstakra killed it with the bone, and the just-past-hatchling masstakran were wearing rings made from the vertebrae of their first kill, and every very large kill since also supplied rings. Some of the young masstakra were begining to ask awkward questions, such as 'does the place with the Tasty-Things have a roof? What about walls?' within the limits of their language (sort of 'where Tasty-Things are, roof? Walls?). The fully-grown masstakra generally ignored the questions as they didn't know the answers.

The masstakran continue to expand, with a new nest of about twenty individuals towards the South. They now have five nests, each of which with touching territory.

Spoiler
    Show
    107 individual masstakran, I think.
    2 EP on Bonework, (one weapon, one jewellery, if possible) 1 EP in Brain, and 2 EP on Grasping Appendage (arms) to hold their new pointy bone daggers.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2008-12-14 at 10:07 AM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    "-You speak Roggan ?!!"

To ask what the thing was, he would have to find a way to express it with Roggan grunts and hiss...and it was impossible. Roggae could count, they could imagine abstract concepts...but to express them was difficult. Questions were usually limited to the minimum. To ask what was this plant's name, a young Rogga would just touch the plant, look at the adult, roar "Plant", then touch it again. The adult was supposed to make the sound of the plant's name, then. But here, how could he ask the thing his name or what it was without touching it.
    Mar thought about how he was going to answer that question for a few seconds. How was he going to explain this to the simple creature? He had hoped for a species with a higher intelligence.
    But he had to work with what he had and after a while, the Immortal answered:
    No, I speak think-language. You think the words I think.
    He paused for a while, hoping the creature understood that.
    I'm not a Roggan. I live here, in the Sea - the Great River.
    Not necessarily true - but hey, he wasn't going to make this too complicated.
    I'm the Sea's friend. I can ask it to help me, or help you.
    As if to deny that, a big wave suddenly rose over the two. Mar looked at it, waved his hand, and the wave bent away from them, smashing into some rocks but leaving the duo unharmed.
    Mar looked back at Rââz.
    See?

Spoiler
    Show
    As you may or mar not have suspected, Mar kind of used his miracle to both create the wave and bend it away here.
    Last edited by Mephit; 2008-12-13 at 11:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Roggae

Rââz was in awe and so were the rest of the Roggae who, back on the beach, had though Rââz would drown each time the waves had risen. But the young male was still there, healthy, and the strange creature didn't seemed hostile.

The matriarch picked up a stone, just in case, then walked to Rââz and the creature, followed by the Roggae on Watch Shift.

The six Roggae arrived, each with large pebbles in their hands. They stared at Mar in silence. Then Griia grunted.
    "-Rââz. Come."
    But the young male didn't move. Still looking at the Immortal, he asked.
    "-You Strong. Teach Rââz."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Poi: Poi had been lurking in the seas, not cared or seen by the immortals before now. A sort of Man-Shark are going after the Poi. The Men-Sharks can only breath under water, but are quick and have a ferocious bite.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

The Poi leader signalled to the Poi, and they take to land, hoping to escape the Shark man. The Poi knew they would have to return to the water.
    So their their leader spoke to them of his plan. Pointing to the blob the knew was the lurking sharkman, he spoke.Sharkman Kill. He pointed at himself. He thne pointed at the sharkman again. Sharkman Fish. He mimed stabbing his pear in the water, as if to hunt fish. Lure. He then placed a bleeding, hardly alive fish in the shallow water.

So the Poi Gathered their spears, and waited in shallow water, hoping to attract the Shark man and kill it.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

6. - Top - End - #36

Brian

Its time to meet some mortals. He looks inside of his pool and and sees a group of winged humanoids. Well that looks like a good place to start. His avatar appears in front of plain in front of him and a river behind him. He sees a group of those humanoids in a tree and starts heading south towards them. "Hello there. How are you today?" he says as he nears the tree and stops.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

One sharkman does take the bait and is proptly killed.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Demonking View Post
    One sharkman does take the bait and is proptly killed.
    The Poi Leader drags the Sharkman out of the water and grabs a rock and smashes the carcass in the head as a sign of victory But the rock splits, reveling flakes of black rock that are rather sharp. The Females gather the stones, and inquistively attach them to a spear with some long, strong leaves. The Leader then takes a bite out of it, to signefiy it was now food. Males and females flocked to the carcass and take a bite. The flavor was strong, yet appatising. The Poi wanted more. So they reset the trap, with another fish drowning in its own blood, with the Poi waiting eagerly.

Spoiler
    Show
    I get 5 EP, right? If thats the case.....
    +3 strength
    +2 Skill(stoneworking)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    The Poi Leader drags the Sharkman out of the water and grabs a rock and smashes the carcass in the head as a sign of victory But the rock splits, reveling flakes of black rock that are rather sharp. The Females gather the stones, and inquistively attach them to a spear with some long, strong leaves. The Leader then takes a bite out of it, to signefiy it was now food. Males and females flocked to the carcass and take a bite. The flavor was strong, yet appatising. The Poi wanted more. So they reset the trap, with another fish drowning in its own blood, with the Poi waiting eagerly.

Spoiler
    Show
    I get 5 EP, right? If thats the case.....
    +3 strength
    +2 Skill(stoneworking)
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're going to attach stones to wood or other things, just stoneworking is not going to get you a weapon. You'd need points in spear too. Also check your wiki race thread...Johel commented on the same point.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-13 at 01:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Lolita avatar by neoseph7!

Spoiler
    Show

Epic meter: |

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It works but it won't work again for a while. (a few hours)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

The Ernvuld attack the cat-like creatures, but it does not stop them. These creatures still raid their tribe's grounds. The weapons the Ernvuld have made were not useless; indeed they helped in hunting, but a different approach was required to protect their budding community.

Curious creatures, many an Ernga ventured about in exploration. Many came across natural defenses of flora that gave them ideas. Words had to be invented to explain these ideas, but the result was there. Ernvuld began manufacturing traps to set about their grounds in order to drive off the various threats that might not be spotted by guards.

Spoiler
    Show
    +1 Brain to understand.
    +1 Language to help others understand.
    +3 Trap Crafting to help others understand that we do not like being eaten.

Also, I don't see the Ernvuld on the map. (Probably my fault.) They live in the foothills of the mountains, looks like there's room on the North side along the river.
    Characters [ Krad | Tinn ]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slurpz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're going to attach stones to wood or other things, just stoneworking is not going to get you a weapon. You'd need points in spear too. Also check your wiki race thread...Johel commented on the same point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But ..but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Woodcrafting 6 The Poi have learned to shape sticks and tree-branchs into Spears and Shields

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ernvuld are on the map now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wiki is the main resource we use. If it isn't on the wiki, it isn't there.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slurpz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wiki is the main resource we use. If it isn't on the wiki, it isn't there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As I said there, I'm having a bit of difficulty using th wiki. Bear with me.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I was puzzled when I saw the Wiki page, too.
    By the way, you have only spent 31 EP so far.
    Better invest the rest of your EP in tech&skill to make up all those nice things your species just found.

And for everybody : 7 feet long is NOT large

Slurpz : I assume the Central River on the map are Mississippi-like for the size, and that small, shallow rivers are running here and there from the Southern Lake. Is that ok ?

Roggae

While Griia's herd had traveled to the North West, finding the Sea, most of the other herds still lived in the savanna, migrating along the light forests and small rivers. The throwing ability had spread and now, Roggae could easily catch the juicy fruits which grew on the highest trees, and the need to outroot the tree first.

They kept scaring away scavengers, herbivores and small predators alike, doing so mainly to train their aim but also to get rid of competitors and threats. Big predators like the Rock Throwers were still a problem but the new generation of Roggae could now spot them far before they reached fire range. To hide among the tall grass or among the nearby trees wasn't a problem when you could dig holes here and there.

Thanks to their increasing carrying capacity, the Roggae could now harvest larger quantity of fruits and plants then travel for days, stopping only to rest and to eat. This allowed the smaller herds to explore more and more of their surrounding. Most the herds went East and South.

Spoiler
    Show
    7 herds so far
    • one of 21, the Running Herd, which circles in the savanna.
    • four of 15, one of which is near the North West Bay
    • two of 12, one going East and the second going South.

Last edited by Johel; 2008-12-13 at 02:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. I just put the two main rivers on the map because I didn't feel like drawing all the small little rivers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, if you move your population, PM me to remind me, or else I might forget to update the map.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Zakrull saw the bright light in the Tree. It was the Sun! why was the Sun here? It was night! The Zakrull closed their eyes and looked not at the bright light. They smelt strange words. But it was not really a smell. The Sun! that was who it was. The Sun used a strange aroma that the Zakrull could barely understand. But they got some idea. The Sun was happy that the beasts had been driven off. The Sun made little sense, but it seemed it considered them to be one of its own.

Spoiler
    Show
    + 1 Brains
    +1 Language
    (I took away form my earlier spending to allow for this.)

18. - Top - End - #48

Mar, Turn 2: The Roggae

Mar smiled. He enjoyed inquisitive mortals, those that wanted to learn.
    And so he taught the Roggae, for him it seemed to take only a split-second of his endless lifespan, for the mortals it could've been hours or days.

With some patience - the Roggae weren't the quickest pupils he'd had - he explained them how to fish more effectively. The Roggae obviously weren't very agile and quick, so he decided to teach them a different method than simply using their claws. He showed them the tides at the shore and a shallow spot of water. When a sufficient amount of bait was placed there and the inlet was blocked off when the water was the highest, all the Rogga had to was wait. The water would lower, leaving the fish exposed on dry land, ready for them to pick up.

Later, Mar showed them something entirely different: Fire, the opposite of the Ocean.
    Using twigs, some dry leaves, and a stick, he lit a small flame. With the help of the Rogga, it grew into an entire campfire.
    Mar decided that he didn't want the Rogga to know how to make it just yet - he didn't feel they were responsible for that yet, but he did explain them how to keep the fire burning: They would have to supply dry wood, keep it away from water, not take it into the forest, etc.

Much later, Mar felt another tingle in his brain. It was time for him to leave.
    He thanked Griia and Rââz - he had grown a bit fond of the latter one.
    Stay close to the Sea, and you will see me again. he told them with a smile. Then he dived into the Sea again, and was gone.

Spoiler
    Show
    I expect Mar knows something of his own domain - the Tides and what fish like - and I think he should know how to make a simple fire with Knowledge(Physics). Correc me if you think I'm wrong, though.
    Last edited by Mephit; 2008-12-13 at 03:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gourtox View Post
    Brian

Its time to meet some mortals. He looks inside of his pool and and sees a group of winged humanoids. Well that looks like a good place to start. His avatar appears in front of plain in front of him and a river behind him. He sees a group of those humanoids in a tree and starts heading south towards them. "Hello there. How are you today?" he says as he nears the tree and stops.
    MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zaali, Turn 2

The Zaal near the base of the tree looked up at the top of the tree.
    fcswlnisru uondwulnisru *right wing slash*

From the top of the tree: mnswhzfc lnvf lnfc *wing wave*

xezg pdnd isndfc naisndmn *double hand jerk*

Four heads peak out from the tree’s canopy.
    rtndndna hzfc fcswhzfc *double hand jerk*
    xezg pdnd isndfc fcswlnisna xezg swhzexqi vfqiqiis hzisbufcswlnisru rtlnnaqi lnfc *double hand jerk*
    pdnd bundxr fcswlnisna swqi mnlnrtrt swxrkbfc xrvf *wing wave*
    hzswsw lnfc fchzrtnavf *double hand jerk* lnfc fchzrtnavf *double hand jerk*

At that last remark, all of the Zaali quieted down. The Zaal at the base of the tree climbed into the tree, and all that could be heard from the outside is the muted flutter of wings and the wisp of voices. In a short while, 5 male Zaali climb down from the tree and begin heading towards the strange creature. 5 more heads, all female, pop out of the leaves, staring curiously. All 5 Zaali carry stone axes in their hands, slick with something. They lope easily towards the avatar, the wings trailing gracefully behind them. When they are separated from the strange creature by less than 20 meters, the lead Zaal says vffcndhw, ending with a slash of his right wing.

xezg hzwu *wings cross in front of him* iehzexexln *right wing slash* mnswnd hzkbqi bundxr *wing wave*

The four Zaali behind him brandish their stone axes menacingly and brace their legs, ready to spring at a signal from the front Zaal.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-13 at 04:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Brian

"Hello Zavvi, nice to meet you. I am Brian." He observes the Zaali. "You are flying hunters that defend your territory. I like you guys already. Wow. flying hunters that defend their territory. Awesome! I wonder what other creatures roam this planet.
    Last edited by Gourtox; 2008-12-13 at 05:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zaali, Turn 2

yekblnhzis *wing wave*

The first Zaal, or Zavvi, looks back at the four standing behind him. The five Zaali exchange a series of hand gestures. As their backs are turned mainly away from you, you can't really catch any hand signals. You do catch a bunch of double hand jerks though.

Zavvi turns back to the god-creature.

mnqi *wings cross in front of him* hzkbqi fcswqi iehzhzrt *right wing slash* mnswhzfc pdnd bundxr mnhzisfc *wing wave*
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Demonking View Post
    It works but it won't work again for a while. (a few hours)

The Poi descend on the dead sharkman, and devour it in seconds. Meanwhile, the females begin gathering up the flaky, black rock the Chief discovered and some palm fronds....

23. - Top - End - #53

Mar, Turn 2 - The Poi

This time, Mar was planning on visiting the group of small islands to the noetheast of the main island. It was there that he felt something inside the sea, something...sentient.
    He had used most of his power in this short period, a limitation that bugged him. But Mar knew that it didn't matter if you tried to get mortals to listen to reason or impressed them with magic.
    They didn't listen either way.

There was another splash like the one at the Roggae tribe, near the shore of one of the islands. And again, the figure emerged from the water shortly afterwards. He looked around, searching for something.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to let what the Poi are doing to you, Frigs, so it's a short post.
    Edit: Sorry, I was already typing when you posted the above post.
    Last edited by Mephit; 2008-12-13 at 06:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Roggae

Griia's herd spent a long period with the strange creature from the "Sea", as he had called the Great River. As this name sounded mysterious and cool, and as it could help to differentiate this Great River from future Great Rivers, the name was adopted. From now, this place would be known as "Sea"

But vocabulary was not the only gift of "Määr" to the Roggae. Fire was still to mysterious, scary and wild for them but many understood its possibilities after Mar made them try the roasted fish. But most importantly, it was the idea to TRAP fish that was a real breakthrough. Fish were sneaky animals which usually swam away when you tried to catch them. But if you could impede their moves, or at least limit them inside a small area...

Griia's herd didn't stay on the beach any longer. It had things to try in a nearby river and, more important, a few young males impatient to use their new knowledge to find a mate among other herds.
    ---------------------

The nets and baskets are used to carry stuff with ease. A basket or a net full of fruits can be hauled up with only one hand. Plants, fruits, fish, it's all the same : you pack it together and you can then pick it up easily.
    That was Rââz's thought as he neared the shallow river with two large nets of thickly weaved fern. Such big nets had taken him two weeks to make and if it didn't worked, he would have to cut them into smaller ones, as carrying stuff in such large nets would be impractical.
    "-Trôô Wait. Trôô hold net."
    A young male with a wide scar across the back nodded. Rââz had explained his idea as best as he could and Trôô was willing to help but he was doubtful. Rââz, however, was the one who had talk to "Määr-of-Sea".
    "-Trôô hold. Rââz go."

And so Rââz crossed the river, holding one side of the net while Trôô held the other. When they were doing so, two females were setting baskets made of vine in the water, first putting stone into them so they wouldn't be driven away but the stream, then putting rotten fruits and dead fish inside the baskets. After this, they stepped back, took the second net and imitated Rââz and Trôô.

It was not long before fish arrived, attracted by the taste of fruit and flesh. However, the basket prevented the bait to be taken but this, the fish couldn't know it. It was nearly the end of the Shift when Rââz nodded to the eldest of the females, who then grunted.
    "-We advance. Hold net. Catch fish"
    And, holding their nets, the Roggae began to advance toward the baskets, shrinking the space in which the fish were swimming. Each net had been ballasted with stones and so they scraped against the riverbed, preventing the fish to get away.

Rââz smiled. It worked.
    The fish are sneaky and swim away when you try to catch them. But in Määr's special pool, they were easy to catch because they couldn't move. Like if they were dead. Like if they were in a net.
    And now they were. Griia's herd ate a lot of fish from that day.

Spoiler
    Show

From now, it's just one herd which fishes like that. But next turn, I'm going to up the whole species ability to fish. Mephit, if you can teach the Roggae how to lit fire, I'm sure they'll worship you as a good spirit.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Mar, Turn 2 - The Poi

This time, Mar was planning on visiting the group of small islands to the noetheast of the main island. It was there that he felt something inside the sea, something...sentient.
    He had used most of his power in this short period, a limitation that bugged him. But Mar knew that it didn't matter if you tried to get mortals to listen to reason or impressed them with magic.
    They didn't listen either way.

There was another splash like the one at the Roggae tribe, near the shore of one of the islands. And again, the figure emerged from the water shortly afterwards. He looked around, searching for something.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to let what the Poi are doing to you, Frigs, so it's a short post.
    Edit: Sorry, I was already typing when you posted the above post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't be. I should be sorry for being such a ninja. *slaps hand* bad Frigs. Bad Frigs.

The Poi pause, and there is silence. The Poi leader cautiosly aproachs Maur, and lets out a series of clicks. He levels his new obsidian-tipped spear at him, while several of the males gather around him.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would do.

Hue dimmed his lights and fled from the blinded Zakrull. They were stupid enough to assume he had simply dissapeared, and that worked greatly to his advantage. What disturbed the idiotic masses more than something they couldn't understand? Into the forest he went, to find a fitting place to rest. It took him some time, but before long he hand brought himself to rest atop a great rock. There he sat, bidding his time.

Hours passed, while all around him dew began to settle on rocks and dampen their prestige, he was better than that: The water evaded his person and simply held in the air around him. Certaintly, the water must be so awed by his prescence that they held in the air to watch him- what other explination was there?

When the light began to once more fade from his presence, the immortal broke open his eyes and drew a wild grin accross his face, before dissambling his form into all existance. He hovered, everything for a single moment, and coalesced in the tunnels of the Masstakran, himself a slithering creature, but wrapped in circlets of gold, and not slithering over the ground but supported on long, spindly legs that kept him off the surface: his body was too prestigeous to stay on the ground. With that, he began to stalk the tunnels, picking rocks and jewels from the walls to carry with him.
    Last edited by Reath; 2008-12-13 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    He built shiny pet rocks with an edge. 'Nuff said.

27. - Top - End - #57

Brian, Turn 2

"What do I want? Why I want to help you of course. I want to help them, but how do I do it? I see they value strength. Well I shall teach them about something every hunter should know. Stealth. "I shall teach you about stealth, but not now for it is too light outside. If I can I would like to wait with you until night, as I call it comes. Night is when the sky goes dark.
    Last edited by Gourtox; 2008-12-13 at 07:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zaali, Turn 2

Zavvi seems to have an air of impatience.

fcswqi iehzhzrtln rund xrhw lnisfcnd fckbqiqivf hzfc islnruswfc *right wing slash*

Dismissing the odd creature, the lead Zaal turns around. As if his action were a signal, the other four Zaali males also turn around. All five Zaali lope back to the tree.

The original guard male has taken up his old place at the base of the tree.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Brian, Turn 2

"I will show you the importance of stealth when you want it, but beware of those who do have stealth." He says running after them. He stops a few meters from the tree and just sits down.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zaali, Turn 2

The Zaali had thought that they'd be left alone. The watch looked up with minor shock as he saw the creature moved closer yet again, saying that it'll teach the Zaali how to be sneaky.

The watch stands up, narrowing his eyes.

fcswqi iehzhzrtln hzkbqi vffckbndisru *double hand jerk* mnswbu yeqi vfisqihznabu mnswqiis hzgbqi vfndrtexqivf qiexqikbbufcswlnisru *wing wave*

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm almost done with my translating program! It just can't handle the text in the *'s yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show