New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Eberron meets Nation states

After three weeks of hugging the coast from Adderport packed into three large boats you finally reach the southern-most tip of Q'barra at dawn. The rugged seamen aid you in the back breaking task of rowing all of your cargo onto the rockey beach where you set up a temporary camp. The beach it's self apperas harmless enough if you ignore some of the larger lizards sunning themselves on rocks a little ways away. It is the foreboding line of trees that swallows up the beach a half a mile inland that seems to worry some of your fellow travelers.

It's now noon and the sailors are just beginning to sail away. It's become a fine spring day with the chirping of exotic birds of all colors that make it seem ever brighter. There are just under fifty of you in the semi circle of your camp many using the supply crates as impromptu benches. An attractive Karn woman in a stunning black and red ball gown complete with a matching fan steps into the middle of the circle and begins addressing the crowd.
    "Greetings." She says with a thick Karnathi accent. "I am countess Jasmine Ir'Colo. I will be your new ruler."

A bronzed Aundarian monk hefts his massive axe over one shoulder as he stands up slowly. "Why are you the ruler of these new lands. Are we not all equals now that we have escaped the trappings of civilization."

"Nonsense" She replies. "I spent most of the money on this expedition it is only natural that I am it's leader."

"So I assume you already have the situation planned out then M'lady?" Asks an odd looking gnome with a huge bronze eye patch that covers nearly half his face."

"But of course. There is an ancient goblin ruin not three day hike from here. We will clear it out and use it for shelter until a proper city can be built."

"if I may be so bold madam." The gnome starts. "An incursion into a dangerous ruin seems not worth the risk why not simply build our new town right here. It's right on the beach so shipping will be easier and no need to go traipsing through millennia old ruins."

"I agree with the gnome." The monk says rubbing his chin. "seems like a much better place to create our new town."

"I say we hear what everyone has to say then put it to a vote." Chimes in the gnome. "It seems the only fair thing to do."
    Murmers of agreement are heard throughout the camp.

The countess snaps her fan back and forth angrily and retreats in to the arms of a dark cloaked servant who's face is obscured by his wide brimmed hat.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-12-11 at 07:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

It is quite the conundrum says a middle-aged and slightly heavy-set elf from the crowd The forest and the fort would both hold unknown dangers, but the fort itself would be a superior ground to stage our landing. This beach woud leave us unprotected, but at least we could see any dangers headed our way. My vote is for setting up initial fortifications here, and sending a small party of our toughest to survey the fort and a good route to it. If the fort is not already being used by dangerous monsters, we should all immidiaty set forth as a group for it, to make use of the greater protection it would offer us. If it is under control already, we should discuss further whether to take it. It would be my inclination though to settle a peaceful and mutually benificial agreement with its ruler, to allow us to stay there.

The elf smiles kindly as he finishes, and then leaves the floor open for any other speakers. A small symbol of Aureon is sewn into his robe, but his robes themselves are that of the entire Host. The cleric apears bookish, but also not unfamiliar with public speaking or giving personal advice.
    "Spoon!!!"
    -The Tick

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron meets Nation states

Zukan looks to his fellow gnome, "And where shall we be if we are attacked while sore from long a days work building from scratch? I propose we at the very least send an expedition to these ruins. If they are not structurally sound enough to warrant the trip, then we shall make do here. Either way it would be unwise to haul these supplies to the ruins, only to Gods forbid, have to bring them back."

His black robes contrast the strangely pale and satisfied face, he smirks to himself. Then quickly controls his face back to neutral attentiveness and yields the floor.
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-11 at 08:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

A warforged in flowing white garments makes "her" way to the stage. "I do not care as to where we camp for now, i am prepared for any dangers. however, I agree we need to survey these ruins, if we can build upon them instead of having to take the extra time to build an all-new encampment. Whatever all of you decide upon i shall follow, the important part is that we survive. that's why I am here. Masayori is here, the eternal calm is coming."

"she" sits down once again, slowly and meticulously sitting as to not move too quickly or too slowly.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Salmor

"I say, if the countess wants to hike three days, she can do it herself!" came a voice from the front of the crowd. The voice was a man, probably of Brelish descent, dressed in a light green shirt and leather breeches.

"The gnome is right! The beach is the best place to build our settlement! Why should we have to march three whole days, and risk danger just so the countess has a place to sit while we build our homes? No, I say we let whoever wants to go with the countess go with her, and we see to getting set up here."

He looked around the area, and points out the surrounds.

"Also, do you honestly believe that it would be a good idea to try and take all this material on a three day hike through the jungle? I think not!"
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-12 at 02:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

"If I may humbly interject whilst other wise minds weigh in on this important decision. My Brelish friend, and I mean no offense, should adopt a more respectful tone when speaking in the presence of royalty."

He gives a warm nod to the countess.

"Royalty-

He gives a slow glance to the Aundarian monk

"-still means something, even in a place like this."

He respectively bows to the assembled travelers, again to the Brelish man, and lastly to the countess. Then takes his seat on the supply crate, leaning forward intently.
    "How do I know that you know that my mouth is my own?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

7. - Top - End - #7

Salmor

"Every man, woman and warforged," said Salmor, gesturing as he spoke, "Should be judged on their own merits! Not just because they bow and scrape to people with fancy titles."

"Should we treat warforged as second-class citizens, just because in our once-homelands they were nothing but possessions? I think not! We have a chance to put aside all our old differences, to build a nation as equals! To throw this opportunity away would be nothing short of criminal."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

A flash of anger crosses his eyes and then is gone.

"Those fancy titles you speak of, are direct mandates of the gods. Are you throwing them away as well? And when disaster strikes, famine, war, will you vote to decide how to handle it? Spend hours in debate while our youth and infirm fall to the ground?"

Zukzan stands up to illustrate his point.

"We stand at a cross roads my friends. We have the opportunity to take the best of our old lives and improve on them. We are starting anew. But my friends. When you go to a new home, do you forsake the ceiling? Then why forsake the leadership and the protection the gods give us in the noble lines? Of course, we are all...sentients, and of course we are the same in the gods eyes. My discontented friend here would use these universal truths to cloud you from radical and dangerous courses of action."

He pauses for a moment, lost in thought, staring out into the jungles depths. "We have left topic as well as our homes, come let us continue the votes so we can stop this pointless debate and get on to the much needed action. Every second we waste in this talk, is another that our people are not behind proper fortifications."

He returns to his supply crate, but remains standing, continuing to stare blankly out into the jungle.
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-12 at 06:39 AM.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

9. - Top - End - #9

Salmor

"Divine Mandate? Nobility comes from nothing more than some king tapping his subjects on their shoulders and giving them land!"

Salmor stood in turn to reply to Zukan.

"If they ever had divine mandate, then they have squandered it! They live a life of sloth, and feast when hundreds go cold and hungry, left to lie in the gutter! Yes! I speak truths! This man would have you believe that truth makes my words somehow less than his notions of 'divine right' and scraping one's knees before a fanciful institution."

He turned, and looked at Zukan with burning eyes - not with anger, but with passion.

"Yes, he would have us believe that just because we don't have a title like 'Count' or 'Baron', we are somehow incompetent to make decisions on our own. 'We are all sentients'? We are all people, my dear friend, and if the gods wanted us to mindlessly follow anyone with a title dropped before their names, they would not have given us the ability to think!"

Then, as the gnome moved on to trying to push the vote ahead.

"And thinking, good sir, is evidently not something you have been properly doing. The ruins are three days away, and anybody who has given even a moment of thought about it would know that it would take at least six days for any expedition to the ruins to return. In fact, I would say it would take an entire week, if a day is allowed for them to explore. To get there it would mean at least ten days. In the face of that, the matter of a few minutes to come to a proper decision is no cause for panic."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-12 at 08:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"Before this explodes into a war of class, i would reccomend that all of us say something as to who we are, and why we are here. that will aid in our understanding of each other's opinions, before they are even voiced.

The first thing I remember was the last days of the Last War, after a month of fighting i was taken to Thrane to work on temples for the Church of the Silver Flame. I escaped, and traveled for years. eventually coming upon a temple of monks in the Ironroot Mountains, i trained there, graduated, heard about this expedition to Q'Barra, and decided i needed a real home. so I am here to protect and serve, not to rule."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

The cleric stands forth and speaks, with a light and kindly tone. Yes, introducing ourselves may be quite the thing to sooth the flowing tempers. A hot head is the influence of the Fury, and we don't want to follow that path. Allow me to go next. I am Aurell Lynzine, priest of the Soveriegn Host and favored of Aureon. I am a humble researcher, a librarian if you will, and was unneeded in my home. When I heard tell of this of this expedition, I knew in my soul that it was a task set to me by the Host. Aureon in particulur would wish me to lend my mind and knowledge to this cause.

He pauses, then goes on. As for the arguments so far, turns towards Zukan, by direct mandate of the gods? The gods do not make us who we are, the gods are who we are. When one seeks knowledge, one holds Aureon in their heart. When one is passionatly angered, one holds the Fury in their heart. There is no direct mandate there, there is only truth. A mandate can be a lie, while what we are is a truth. And the gods are that truth.

Turns to Salmor, But do not be hurt. To hold the Fury in one's heart is a passing thing, not a accusation of evil. What matters is who you are deep inside, not who you seem from moment to moment. I respect your oppinions as a person and as a sentient, but I must say that there were some flaws in your arguments. First, if the fort would provide us an excellent defense from the harsh wilderness, a three-day hike would of course be worth it, even with all our provisions. But it may also be a crumbling wreak, which is why I, and it seems most everyone as well, thinks that we should send an expeditionary force. I motion that we come to an agreement on that soon, so we can be about our business. The ten days they will be gone, according to your calculations, means we should immidiatly begin setting up a base here that will last those ten days.

Secondly, The Countess' merits are that she provided the money to get us all here. That money is why you are abe to speak so rudely here, far away from civilization where you might have been jailed for speaking so. Here, in this place, we will forgive you; here, we require the cooperation of everyone, and enmities and personal vendettas will not aid us.

Thirdy, the ability to think which you hold so highy is why we choose leaders. The governing of anything from a small villiage to a mighty nation is a convoluted and delicate business, so leaders are elected to handle that business. When a king "taps the shoulder" of someone and gives them land and title, that person is also given responsibilities. Those responsibilities are what can create a good leader. Now, there are people with responsibilities in this world who are bad leaders. But until you can show that the Countess is one of those people, I would advise you to show her the respect that she as a person and our current leader deserves.

Finally, your comments on the intelligence of your fellow person was quite uncalled for. I ask that you retract it; insults are always bad argumentation.

Aurell again steps back into the crowd, to allow the debate to continue, a kindly and honest smile still showing.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-12 at 04:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah friend elf, Aurell, your words are true and mend the hearts of mortals with the warmth of the gods. I am also a gnome of the cloth, and my outbursts must be attributed to isolated monastery talk and thought. I came, as my master commanded, to aid in the construction and moral growth of this new settlement. My apologies that the first you hear of me is in hot debate, I suppose it is long over due I introduce my self."

He strokes his blond goatee and turns his hazel and brown eyes to the assembly.

"You may know me as Zukzan, monk of the gods, and guardian of honor."

Turning to Salmor, "I do not wish to gamble our peoples lives sitting on this beach, twiddling our thumbs whilst the expedition is underway. As the wise elf said before, temporary fortifications must be built here regardless of our action. So yes, these minutes matter. I seek not panic, but action and security. My apologies if I failed to convey this."

You are unsure if you saw a smile when he was speaking to Salmor, either way his face has remain relatively impassive. He yields the floor, looking back out to the jungle.
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-12 at 05:58 PM.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #13

Salmor

"Salmor Pegeson, and I don't have such flowery credentials. I am a tailor not afraid to speak my mind, nothing more, and nothing less." replied Salmor. The unmistakable passionate flame in his eyes was certainly not extinguished by Aurell's attempt at being some 'voice of reason'.

"Reason away all you please. I don't ask to be forgiven, pretending to forgive me for my words as though I came crawling to your chambers is no more than speaking hollow words. If I would be jailed for voicing my beliefs, then so be it. I have weathered the punishments of an institution carried only by history before, and I am not afraid to weather it again."

"What we here today have, is an opportunity to rebuild from scratch. No longer are we held back by fossilised institutions, to push down others based on such superficial matters as blood and species. No, title and wealth alone does not make a leader, and I will show the countess no more respect than any other who claims hereditary wealth as the reason for their leadership."

Then he turned back to the 'divine right' gnome.

"If we'd been arguing for days, maybe you might have a point. If we are in so much danger that not starting right this instant would risk our lives, then we are dead where we stand. A minute spent coming to a decision is better spent than a minute spent in haste. A wall built to last is different from a palisade built to weather ten days, and a decision must be made as to which one we will make before we start."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-12 at 06:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Very well Salmor, as politeness and basic manners seem to arouse nothing but insults and anger I will ask you plainly. What sort of government are you proposing?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Aundarian monk stands up once again. "While lofty morals and the divine mandate are topics of interest for myself the decision to whether or not we even send an expedition to explore the ruins must not be deterred. I myself vote against it , however if it is the will of the people I volunteer myself to risk my life so no one else has to."

"Don't be silly sir." The eye patched gnome replied. "While I may have been against risking the lives of the lives of our fellows, If we do go I will be coming and you will be hard pressed to keep me from coming. I dare say this is exactly the kind of thing that brought me out to these Kyber damned jungles in the first place."

"And your vote?" The monk asks.

"I'm for it." The gnome says pulling a book out of his small pack. "Despite my personal reasons for wanting to go the fact is the goblins wouldn't have built it where they did unless they had a good reason. Perhapes a vaulible mine is located near or maybe rare herbs."

"Or maybe in the ten thousand years since it's construction the reason the goblins had is long gone."

"I still believe it's still at least a look."

"Very well, what say everyone else?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

Raises own hand, then turns to Salmor, Now, as you have suggested, we will vote as equals. The Countess, a title that truly means little out here, will I hope vote as well and will be treated with an equal vote. You will have a vote equal to a Countess, no better, no worse. Can you live with that?

And really, nothing but a tailor? Forgive me for making this discussion just a personal argument between a few speakers, but you are no mere tailor. You are a being of the gods, of all the gods. You are also a being of your past, and I am sorry if yours has not been an easy one. But I am not here to forgive. I am here to speak the truth, or as much as I know. And when you tell someone that they are unintelligent, when you tell someone else that they deserve no respect, you are a fool. I say this as kindly as I can, but it is the truth as I see it.

Now, you have made some valid points. We indeed are not rushed to watch our every minute. But we should act as soon as possible.
    To everyone, As I see it, to first send out an expeditionary force of no more than three or four, then to build a temporary encampment that will last ten if not twenty days, is the only logical choice. So please, everyone, raise your hand.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-12 at 07:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show
    Know Geo - (1d20+8)[27]

Salmor

"They deserve none of the artificial respect formed by the pretenses of rank. If they then serve to lose more by poor foresight, then they deserve all the less." replied Salmor.

"I vote that we should not send an expedition to the ruins. It's a stupid idea to try and carry all our materials on a three day hike through jungle to a ruin. We need to follow the coast to a rivermouth, or even a bay."

Surprisingly, the tailor seemed to know exactly what he was talking about.

"Ideals aside, I know of one not too far from here."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-12 at 08:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"fool," The countess says to Salamor. " I hired Thrush Xivdrad himself to locate the perfect place for our future docks, and now some tailor pesent thinks he knows better, Humph." Her servant lifts his head and glares at you. A chill runs down your spine as your eyes meet his and his almost too perfect face breaks into a menacing grin.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

Now ma'am, such talk is really not polite. The man is worthy of your respect as well, as you are of his. But really, I would like to hear more about this. Such knowledge could be truly a gift of Aureon. Although it must be said, I believe our vote is still quite important too. If we build our camp here or at this bay is not important yet. What is important is the vote to decide our next action, which should be to send that expedition. Keeps hand held high, and looks around to encourage everyone else to do the same.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-12 at 08:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Well." a small little girl appears to say. Upon a second glance you notice it isn't a girl but a very finely crafted a realistic puppet. Laying casually on a crate is an androgynous half elf in a finely crafted glimmer weave cloak. The puppet with the half elf's hand up her back continues to talk. "We vote for staying right here its comphy here. All in favor of staying here." Both the puppet's and the half elf's arm raise in the air. Twelve others raise their hands in the air, (assuming Salamor is the only one Pc's voting to stay.)

"Splendid." The gnome says. "I'll begin packing and we'll leave within the hour."

"We're coming too." The countess says taking a wand from a sheath hidden in her dress.

"Fine lets go." The monk says grabbing the eye patched gnome by the shoulder as he leaves. The creepy butler and countess right behind him.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, that seems to be that. Watches the four leave, then turns to Salmor, Please, tell me more about this bay. In fact, turns to everyone still here, in the interest of keeping the rest of us together, perhaps we should all visit this place? Back to Salmor, Assuming it isn't to far? Such a spot could provide an excellent spot to begin building.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I Shall join the party going to the ruins, the services of a warforged trained in construction will aid in the appraisal of the fortification.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

Actually, to the warforged, could you please stay? Those four seem quite capable of taking care of themselves, and we don't want to send too many. Your fighting skills could serve useful here.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-12 at 10:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"Done sir, I shall stay. but keep me out of power, i am a laborer, even if i abhor my previous owners. and please, refer to me as Masayori."

Spoiler
    Show
    please check the OOC thread i started for this

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

Of course Masayori, but I would prefer to value your aid for all that you can give us. Certainly we must build fortifications to last twenty days, and your knowledge would serve all of us greatly in that regard as well. But if we are attacked, it will be up to all of us to defend ourselves.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-12 at 10:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

ok, i will head said project, first we need to get to where we are going.

27. - Top - End - #27

Salmor

Salmor remained resolutely unshaken at the servant's menacing glare. He'd weathered worse, and he was ready for the glare of the aristocratic oppressor.

---

"A bay? Besides the two at Adderport, no, there is no bay." replied Salmor.

"I was thinking of a different place. There should be a lake a couple of miles away from here - it wouldn't take more than a day or two at the very outermost to get there and back, even if it's through a bit of jungle."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-13 at 12:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"there is one quick problem, how will the other four know where we go? is there a mage or trainer with them to send a messenger?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

With a day to prepare, I could possibly do something. Or perhaps one of the others here can help in that regard. Turns to the other immigrants, Does anyone know long-distance communication magic? Something we can use to guide those who left to our location if we go somewhere else?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

an animal will work, as will a sending spell or animal messenger spell. even psionic telepathy would serve the cause.