New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

I am of course partial to something a bit more holy sounding, like New Light or Sovereignty, but Haven ... now that rings like a church bell in my mind. I too say Haven.

To Masayori, I think the building of homes or walls would be a great fit for you. Remember, you will be a council member, not a worker, so you will oversee all the work. This way, all jobs under construction will be checked by your knowledgable eye.

To Salmor, Walls not important? Those lizards could attack at any time, stout walls would be our best defense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron meets Nation states

Salmor

Salmor nodded, and turned his attentions to the crowd again.

"Well, since we have been elected as the leaders of our new home, I think it's time we got to our new duties, rather than stand here preaching to you all."

He headed off to take stock of the tools and weaponry the countess had the foresight to bring. He didn't expect a whole lot, and no doubt there would be a lot completely unsuited to their new home.

To the priest, the response was simple.

"Stout walls? Next to a lake? Against Lizardfolk?" he asked, a little incredulous at the suggestion.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-14 at 01:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"i actually partially agree with salmor, but the homes will need thatching more than anything, so we will need resin. i believe we have enough people that we will be able to head both projects at once. the homes will not need many people, the hardest part will be collecting the materials, i will need a maximum of 10 people. tomorrow we will start looking for resin and light wood for better roofs. the walls should hold in the meantime, they are made of good-quality hardwood."
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Am I the only one who remembers the rumbles of the gut? The fish will not sustain us alone, and supplies are dwindling. Tell me, did anyone from the expedition find fruit bearing trees? Perhaps the soil outside of where you-

He gestures to the warforged.

"-were going to build a wall could be cultivated...once we remove those trees. Could we herd those large lizards we saw earlier? We would do wise to meet our basic needs in Haven before enclosing it all in."
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-14 at 01:30 AM.
    "How do I know that you know that my mouth is my own?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

The cleric is slightly miffed by Salmor pointing out his mistake, but he quickly searches for a way to explain himself. The walls that we build around our homes represent the walls around our souls, protecting us from evil. We need walls to give us strength, even if ... they may not ... be entirely useful ... He suddenly looks up, the smile back on his face as he triumphantly says, There are undoubtedly other things in the woods that we must protect ourselves from! Walls will not be meaningless at all!

To Zukzan, calming down a bit, A good point, small plots for gardens would be best within our walls, or at least with another wall or even a fence around them.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-14 at 01:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"hmm, a good point. i am sorry i forgot about food. as i have no hunger it is hard for me to remember. I agree, and will begin surveying tonight, towers can wait. we may also have to work on the placement of houses, they are a bit too uniform, and close. we will need a central fire, as well as fireplaces in every home."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Small plots may work marginally well for the short term. But if we are to thrive we need fields. I would like to requisition 10 able bodies for clearing and tilling the land for farms. 5 more of our most successful fishers at the coast. And another 5 to see to domesticating animals for stock. If it pleases the council?

"Oh yes, and if these are sucessful if I could have your 'ear' Masayori, I would like to suggest some sort of subterranean granary."
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-14 at 01:40 AM.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"i will agree with those numbers, that leaves 10 for homes, and 20 for other projects. but i want to have that brellish man take charge of fishing, under you of course. but as someone had said earlier, you all should go to bed, we will start at dawn tomorrow."

"and underground holding space is definitely an option, but we will need a whole crew for it, thus the project will have to wait for some other things to be stabilized."
    Last edited by WaterTengu; 2008-12-14 at 01:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Salmor

Salmor inwardly chuckled as the 'Council' stumbled about on priorities, and let them be for the moment. He had managed to take hold of the important position of managing the militia, but that wouldn't be necessary so quickly.

Let them squabble. He had a people to speak with, and a plan to formulate as to how Haven would handle its own survival. Especially if those who wished to impose their dated prejudices on his new peoples decided to attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information - (1d20+8)[14]
    Time - (1d4+1)[3]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

That sounds good to me. Your knowledge of such things will be truly a gift from Boldrei. I will do as I have been doing, leading morning services and helping those in need of clerical aid. If there is no reason why I should not continue my usual duties with my new position? The cleric looks around, to see if anyone objects to him leading both religion and law in the community. In doing so, he sees Salmor walking away; the man seems preoccupied, but the hunch of his shoulders gives the cleric nagging worries. He decides to have a talk with the man later, to see how he is doing.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-14 at 01:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Spoiler
    Show
    Extra expenditure of time on Gather Info for more detailed information on the populace.

Gather - (1d20+8)[27]
    Time - (1d4+1)[3]

(1d20)[13] (Extra)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Dear elf, I would be more then pleased for you to be the voice to sooth the woes that may come. But the time for sleep has long been over due, we must be fresh for tomorrow."

As everyone begins to disperse he singles out the individuals slated for the tasks he purposed and begins to shortly endear himself to them.

(d20)[4] Diplomacy+9
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"no, you should stay with your duties to the people. but see if there is anyone here that may help you in case you need sudden additional aid, such as if you cannot handle something on your own. make sure and know who and where they are, that way you can call on them if a situation arises"
    Last edited by WaterTengu; 2008-12-14 at 02:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

My duties to the people are both religious and of the law. I can do both; it is done in such a way in many towns in many nations. I was just asking if anyone objects to it. I know myself to be above conflicting interests, but you good people may not. If you trust me, I assure you your trust will be well met.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-14 at 01:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"No objections from this end my god elf. Well now that it's getting dark out I suggest we set up a light guard so the rest of can get some proper sleep." Everyone seems to nod in agreement as a small group of men take up torches and take posts near the edges of Haven. The rest of the folk retreat into the crude shelters and put down for a good night's rest.

Masaori-Haven Camp

As you patrol the camp near dawn a shadowy figure lunges out of the darkness and latches onto you. Before you respond to attack you recognize it to be the crazy half elf with the puppet squeezing you in a vice like bear hug. "Hi Mrs. warforged My name is Chris! I get to be your helper 'caus I'm good at building things. What are we gonna build first? We could build one big house for everyone to live in or a bunch of little houses so that no one would have to share. How about we wake everyone up right now and get started!

Salimor-Haven Camp
    Before you go to bed your time among the people obviously begin to bear fruit. While you do not earn enough good will to have people abandon the rest of the council you get a bit of information that makes defense a lot easier. You find that Sarius (The half elf chef) was a hardened veteran of the red gauntlets and with his help you found and enlisted the aid of the ten most able men to join an official city guard. Combat formations are drawn up and given to all before you finally retire.

The next morning you wake up as the chef nudges you awake. "I beg your pardon sir." He’s quietly so as not to overly disturb you. "But ma and some of the guards are having a bit of an argument. You see Jackson over there," He says pointing his thumb over his shoulder at a scrawny halfling, "Says we should use some of our men as scouts and I says to him that we only have ten men in the first pace and we can't spare a single person to be wondering off through the woods by themselves probably getting himself killed. Since we decided to make you the leader we were wondering what you want to have happen."
    "Excuse me sir but those two are idiots" A grizzled old dwarf by the name of Gorb says as he approaches you. "If we don't get a decent meal it won't matter what manner of beastie comes to eat us since we'd be already dead. I says we spend our time wisely and rustle us up some grub.

Zukan-Haven camp

Your late night attempts to curry favor appear to have done little you realize as you gently drift to sleep. When you awaken you are faced with a small yet angry group of people. t the front is the countess who wastes no time getting in your face. "Good you're up. I refuse to live like this any longer I demand a decent place to sleep at night and I want it to be bigger and better than anyone else's accommodations. I am an Ir'Colo after all and even out here I demand the best."
    "Don't be silly." Sabrina the young elven lass says with a smile. "We need an inn so we can have visitors and have a proper place to cook meals."
    "Yes that's exactly what we need." The Brelish fisherman says rolling his eyes. "It's obvious what this town needs to even start thinking about trading. A proper dock and dock house. Otherwise we're just all trading with our selves.
    "I liked your plan for farms..." Says a timid young man by the name of Gary.

Aurell-Haven Camp
    After your morning sermon the eye patched gnome approaches you with quill and parchment. "well you seem to have the easy job for now." He chuckles "The only pressing matter at hand as I see it is how high our taxes will be. I know it won't come into play for a long time but it is best to have these things on the books before people start taking advantage of the system." He stands eagerly awaiting to translate your words into law.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Your Highness, I believe your goals will be better met by the Warforged, they are building homes as we speak. I do however wish you a better nights sleep tonight.

"I like the dock plan, the tavern seems superfluous at this stage. The tasks will remain the same, but square away the wood when you clear the fields, a harbor will increase our fish yield as well as trade. If no one has any more questions I will lend my hand to the clearing of the forests."

He turns and smiles to the timid man, "Come, let us get to work feeding these people."
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2008-12-14 at 02:56 AM.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #77

Spoiler
    Show
    More like a militia, methinks.

What kind of weapons are available to the militia?

Salmor

Salmor nodded, and considered the situation. "It's true. We can't risk anybody going out on scouting missions on their own. The jungle is dangerous, and anyone who gets attacked or gets lost won't be coming back, more likely than not."

He looked at the assembled group slowly before continuing.

"Of course, there isn't much we can do about the risk but go out in groups so we don't get lost. We'll head out in groups of four, with one group staying back to keep watch. I'll gather some brightly coloured strips of cloth - I'm sure at least the countess has something in her wardrobe - and we'll tie them on trees as we pass so we've got a trail."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"ahh, i am glad that i have your services chris, i saw what you did back at the beach. i am happy to have you work with me, but i require one thing, tell me how you did that, and NEVER jump on me again. next time you will die.

today we start on building large, but slightly individual homes. they will be able to house ten people each. thus the people who want to live together can. some will ofcourse e modified to fit the people who live there."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

Ah yes, I was thinking about that while I meditated. Our society is unique at this time, and unique laws must be put in place to protect it. Please take down what I say, so that it can be part of the official decree. Looks at the gnome to make sure he is ready to do so, then begins.

First, our small society is not like any other society. Normally, the people earn money for their work, and some of that money is taxed to support the society as a whole. Such a system is necessary so that the government can aid and work to protect its people in the ways that only a government can, nothing more. I do agree with good Salmor that some governments support themselves more than their people, so I will decree now that, for now, members of government can not take for personal use any of what is taxed. This really only applies to the council members though; if our parent nation wished to tax us, we would use our taxes without placing such an obligation on them.

Secondly, because we have no money to bandy about, and no money we could ask as taxes, we will instead tax labor. Every person of the community above childhood and also not of a venerable age must work at least eight hours a day, excluding holy days. That work must be done at the behest of a council member or someone appointed by one. The work also must only be to improve the community, not the person themselves; this includes caring for children or the venerable. Council members are not immune from this requirement, but can work for themselves, as long as one other council member approves that the work will be for the community and not only themselves. The labor of appointed individuals, or council proxies, can only be approved by a council member, or a proxy of a council member other than their own. In the future, this requirement of labor will be changed, but only when the entire council agrees that it is no longer necessary. From now until it is gone, the council will convene every month to go over this issue, and any other such issues that require our attention as a group. The council should continue these meetings after we end the labor requirement, to continue that secondary goal.

Third, any labor above eight hours a day is considered personal, so is not “taxed”. This time may be spent achieving one’s own goals, or continuing to work for the community. Work for the community must be approved by two council members or council proxies, but the proxy can not have been appointed by the same council member who approves the work; if two proxies approve the work, they must be appointed by different council members. Any work approved in this way will be recorded in a ledger; when we switch from labor taxation to money taxation, that work will be how we determine how to dole out money. Until that point, all actual money earned by the community will be held by the council as a community treasury, and will only be used by the unanimous vote of the council. Any actual money that any person has from before the creation of the community can be kept by them, but will be worthless and unnecessary until we switch to money taxation. Approved work above eight hours a day will not exceed ten hours a day; we shouldn’t end up giving people like me or the warforged more just because we can work longer days.

So to your original question, taxation is at eighty percent. This is high, but our unique situation demands it, and it does not seem unduly harsh to me. When the council decides to switch from labor taxation to money taxation, that percentage will obviously be changed, as will many of the laws I just detailed.

Now, a few minor notes. First, anyone who fails to work eight hours a day or whose work is exceptionally sub par will be punished, in a manner that must be approved by a majority of the council. If a manner is not approved, the worker should be seen as not guilty of any crime. By sub par, I mean work that is done lazily, or for little actual results. Exceptions will of course be made for injury or sickness. In fact, the injured or sick will be cared for by the community, in the same way that children or the venerable will be cared for. Pregnancy may not be a sickness, but the secondary effects are very much like one, so will be cared for in the same way; preference for the caretaker should be given to the father or anyone trained as a midwife. Second, those with magical talent will be treated as equals; so the work they do magically will fall under the same system as labor. A council member and only a council member may waive their eight hour obligation, seeing as how what is done magically can take much less time than what is done through labor. But this waiving should not be a common occurrence; the mage should help out in other non-magical ways as well. Third, a council member may only have up to two proxies. A proxy member can be stripped of that title by a majority vote of the council. Fourth, approval of work may be done a week in advance; work beyond the eight hour obligation must be recorded in the ledger before a week has gone by since the work was done.

Now, I believe that is all; you may stop taking down what I say. Please run these by Zukan, as they have much to do with our economy, then if he agrees post them in the center of town, and tell the other council members of them. They will become law at the start of the next week. If anyone has a question or complaint about them, they should come see me; I would be happy to address the issue and explain my reasoning. If anyone has a suggestion for a law, they should come to me and we can discuss it. The insight of Aureon can come to anyone, and I do not want to discourage the sharing of any possibility. Otherwise, would you become my proxy, sir gnome? Your diligence in the work of law has impressed me; I could use someone of your sensibilities. Of course, how rude! In all the excitement of the last few days, I seem to have never learned your name! You know me from my introduction on the beach, but we never got around to everyone else. Please, introduce yourself.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-14 at 05:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

When the gnome finally reaches Zukzan, tired and out of breath from clearing tress, he reads the entirety of the laws.

"I agree with the labor laws here, I believe they will bring a betterment of our people. As long as Aurell is accepting suggestions, I would say that we should safeguard these laws from being change capriciously. Written law is the foundation of a just and ordered society I propose an unanimous council vote and a three fourths popular vote to change any law."
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Haven Camp

Aurell- Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar
    "Hmm. To establish a three fourth majority to change law I would naturally assume that in orger to establish such a rule you would need the agreement of at least three council members. As for my name I apologize for my abhorrent manners. Please allow me to introduce my self. I am Professor Goznold Prazinem Robnold Tolnk of the Soladas college of the most esteemed Library of Korranberg, Keeper of the Selorian secrets , wordsmith and last but not least Honorary member of the Mortgrave Outreach Association. I know now that I made the correct decision nominating you good sir. With someone like you at the head of our legal system we'll soon have laws enough to be the envy of even the Breelish."

Zukan-Haven Camp, Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar
    The going is slow even after finding Gary to be an excellent resource having come from generations of farmers. Your plan to domesticate animals is seeming to be going much better as an excited halforc, known only as Shag, marches triumphantly through the camp with a dozen or so beasts which appear to be a cross between a black dragon and a cow. He warns everyone to not look them directly in the eye but assures everyone that their milk will be delicious. When you return to camp you are suppressed with the amount of progress that has been made on the houses so far.

Salimor-Haven Camp, Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar
    After a brief inventory you find that your new militia has a light crossbow and short sword for each person. Gorb has his trusty war hammer and Sarius owns a magical long sword. After some finagling you convince the countess to part with one of her dresses. "Fine! I didn't like that one anyway." She yells as you walk away.
    Everything is going smoothly until about late noon when your first scouting party was due back. "What should we do boss?" Gorb asks flustered.
    "Isn't it obvious we go out and look for them. We don't leave men left behind!" Sarius says pulling out his long sword.
    "Hold on a moment. We're not going to send anymore to their death I say we stop patrolling altogether and help strengthen our defenses on the home front."
    "Damn you fool dwarf Jackson is out there."
    "If I may interject here." Says a middle age merchant who introduced himself as Horrace last night. "I say ther'es nothing out of the ordinary about a patrol of fresh recruits to get a little lost. I say we give them until tomorrow to come back before we make any extreme decisions."

Masaori-Haven Camp, Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar
    Chris sadly relinquishes her grip on you before resuming his usual cheery facade. Oh I'm real good at sneaking and.. Hey that was two things that you wanted me to do thats not fair. Lets get started!" Chris whistles and the puppet comes faithfully to Chri's side. With the puppets massive strength and your tireless skilled labor you have the skeleton of the first long house completed before the others wake up. After a full days labor the frames of four houses are completed along with the walls of the first house.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-12-15 at 09:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"chris, you still haven't told me of your great strength. i want to understand you better, it is the only way that we can work together without me constantly worrying you will snap me in half. let us work on a special house tomorrow, we will need a larger-than-normal space for the militia to live in. it will need to house all of them, their weapons, and a central area for our friend Salmor to plan in." Masayori notices a stout looking elf walking by. "Good sir, can you find Salmor and ask him to come find me at his next available time."

23. - Top - End - #83

Salmor

Salmor unshouldered his crossbow as well, and nodded with agreement.

"It's not just exploration. The jungle can be our enemy, or our friend. I intend to make it the latter. We're going to be going into the jungle as often as we can."

He loaded his crossbow, and adjusted his beret.

"Nobody gets left behind. We're all going out to find Jackson. Let's move."

The militia moved out, its leader at its head, to find the four who had gotten lost in the jungle.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-12-15 at 09:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Fashion blinders for those beasts, why, I dare say we are starting to look like an actual town!"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

When the excitable gnome returns from acquiring approval from Zukan, goes over the suggestions from Zukan and himself, and finally gets around to introducing himself, Aurell finds himself slightly overwhelmed. To the last he responds first. Why, so you are a fellow member of the Academia. You must tell me, what was your Professorial Thesis on? What did you study afterwards? Have you written any recent papers I might have heard of? Also, may I call you simply by title, or would you prefer part or the entirety of your name?

To Zukan's suggestion, I think we shall not. To require a strict unanimous vote of the council would be to tie us down in litigation. We councilors should not be recompensed for our work in making decisions, and such a policy would make for long discussion with possibly little gain to be found. We each have our own areas of interest, and I think we should keep to them. The Host each have their own portfolios, so should we. Some areas do overlap, as the crafting of these rules show, and in those cases it is indeed logical to reach an agreement. It is for this reason that several specific areas of the laws I laid out do require such a unanimous or majority vote, because they will have consequences for all of our domains.

As for a popular vote, I again disagree. A popular vote put us in these positions of power and responsibility, we should exercise our powers without needing the popular confirmation. To ask them to vote on all laws under consideration would be to call their decision a bad one. Therefore I think such decisions should be under our power alone, except for one. The power to make that specific decision and to repeal it should remain with the people. Call this an addendum to the laws so far; to give any person the powers of Councilor, and to take those powers away again, can only be decided by a three-fourths vote of everyone who is not a Councilor or under consideration for that title.

Spoiler
    Show
    While something like this might be good in the real world, in this setting a popular vote is meaningless. A popular vote is in essence a vote by the DM, which goes against the concept of the campaign. If the DM uses that vote to echo our votes, as he would have to do to remain personally non-biased, a popular vote would just be redundant and circular

As for your suggestion, Professor, I would echo my thoughts towards Zukan. Our individual powers as Councilors should remain ours alone, unless such a decision has clear implications for the domain of another Councilor. I was given the domain of law, and I believe that what I have codified is the best that can be done for that domain in this situation. I have done the necessary steps in consulting with Zukan, and all has gone well. No more approvals should be required. Although I am willing to hear suggestions from any person on laws, I feel I should keep it in my power to make the final decision, unless such a decision would infringe on the powers of another Counciler or the rights of a being.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-16 at 07:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Aurell- Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar

"My Thesis?" Goznold says excitedly. "Well I had the great pleasure of being a guest of the ruler of Breeland in my youth, Boranex that is. Yes this was a few years before Boranel took the crown. Anyways I spent much of my time there in the City of towers. Have you ever been? such a delightful city. I was this close to being invited to the.... Wait where was I? Oh yes my thesis. Well Being an adventuresome young scoundrel me and a few of my close friends decided to go exploring in the UnderSharn, Which I remind you is highly illegal. You see Sharn was built upon an old goblin ruin known as Duur'shaarat or Blade of sorrows for those who only speak the common tongue. Latter on the first humans of Khovare came and took over renaming it Sharrat. Century’s latter Shaarat became a wealthy and powerful city, but they refused the rule of Breggor and thus the city was besieged and destroyed again. After he took it for his own Breggor renamed the city Sharn and began construction of great towers that scraped the heavens. A few centurys latter Sharn became a bastion for bearers of the mark of Kyber under the rule of Lord Halas Tarkanan. The war of the mark reaped destruction across the city and for the next five century’s the city was deemed haunted and remained largely abandoned. Galifar the first came along right about this time and sent a force to rebuild the city and the efforts of his reconstruction and those who followed compose now what is considered modern Sharn. So to answer your first question my thesis was on the King Galifar the first and his union of the five nations."

"My research after that was mainly on the Lhazaar Principalities. Except for one paper on ancient pirate lord by the name of Geeral Nosmoldanon few copies of my work ever left the halls of Korrenberg. And please call me Goznold. Now that you have laid out all of your logic at once I must say I absolutely agree with you and will be glad to support you in your pursuit of law in any way I can, Bearing in mind that I'm a historian and not a House Sivis barrister."

"If you gentlemen don't need anything more from me at the moment I will see to it that the um.. Dracocows?... get some blinders put on them.

Salimor-Haven Camp, Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar
    "Um Mr. Salimor sir." A stout looking elf says to you as you prepare to leave. "The warfored says it want you to come see her."
    "I'm afraid you'll have to wait lives hang in the balance here." Sarius says as he slings a pack of dried fish over his shoulder."
    "Are we gonna bring torches?" Gorb asks leaning over a small crate of torches. I don't need 'em to track by if it gets dark and I'd rather not attract any beasties while we're out there looking, but I assume those who can't see in the dark might hard on us bringing sum along."

Zukan-Haven Camp, Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar

"There you are gnome!" The countess says walking over to you. Goznold looks over at her. "Not you, you little useless man." She says waving him away with her fan. "Zukan was it? You are in charge of the economy yes? Good I need you to go over what we will be ordering for the town when the boat arrives next week. Also If we have anything of value to trade you should have it ready by then. I also demand those things," She says with a near shriek pointing at the dracocows. "be kept out of the town proper."

Masaori-Haven Camp, Haven Camp, The 2nd of Therendor of 998th Year of the Kingdom of Galifar
    "Oh, don't be silly if I wanted to hurt you I would just send a pulse of mystical energy into arcane life web that composes your soul, there by overloading it and annihilating your very sentient existence. Silly warforged. I would never use my dolly to break you in half. Hey, once we're done building a barracks can I make you some hair? OOH. Can we build a the barracks like a giant boat so we can use it as a mobile weapons platform or how about we build it underground so our defenses won't be compromised by an aerial attack. At the very least we want it built out of stone so it won't catch fire so we better go looking for a good place to build a quarry. Maybe we can domesticate some kobolds to work there for us. I could make them little dresses and it will be ever so adorable.

27. - Top - End - #87

Salmor

"Tell her, it will just have to wait until we get back." replied Salmor, as he opened up the box and began taking torches out, passing them around.

"Everyone take a torch. They're not heavy, and if we end up separated, we might need them. If Jackson is lost, attracting his attention might be one of our best bets."

Then, Salmor looked around how the small encampment was going, and saw the dracocows, raising an eyebrow.

"Also, let's keep on the lookout for a lonely pervert of a dragon, shall we?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"Chri-is, you still haven't explained it to me. you told me that you would obey me." masayori's right hand begins to shake and quiver. "or i will be forced to take drastic measures, and i really don't want that." masayori reaches with her left hand to stop the shaking, but it only worsens. "damn it, STOP SUITENGU!" her hand immediately stops shaking and she emits a heavy sigh, letting go of a tense-ness never seen in her before.

"Back to the subject, that is why i need to speak with Salmor, he should know where an amount of rock is, now where is that gnome?! hmm, well, we need to find out soon, you wouldn't happen to know where some rock is around here chris? if you don't, we shall ask Aurell to pray for the gods to give an answer. By the way, to answer your question, we will be building it of stone. soon all the housing will be of stone, if we can afford to. Underground will be saved purely for things that need the cold, such as meat and grain."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Indeed, I do agree the harbor should be our first trade related priority. And again, I thank you for your input, we do not know what diseases or how the waste could effect the general health of the community. But separating our food supplies from the town proper would be reliant on sufficient defense. Such as a much needed wall."
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Pardon me my good elf may I have a moment of your time? My name is Alfonzo Franks. I hail from a small hamlet near Daskarn in Thrane and have come to this place seeking to spread the light of the flame. My father was the local magistrate so I have practice seeing problems before they get out of hand. The issue I bring you today is of sanitation. People are just going freely into the river. It is just a drop in the bucket now but if this problem is left unchecked it could cause disease and contaminate the entire lake making it unsafe to drink from. I know that forcing people to trek down to the coast is rather dangerous and building latrines will take much sought after man power but I believe we must nip this in the bud. I would also suggest once we finish with the housing and preliminary fortifications we begin construction on a proper sewer system, one fit for a large city in case the flame shines brightly upon us and deems Haven to prosper.
    Looking over his shoulder at the dracocows Alfonzo points a his thumb at them and says. "We may also need to do something about them."

"Mrs.Warforged are you OK? What does Suitengu mean? Is that some sort of warforged code they taught you in the House Cannith forge holds? Can you teach me to speak warforged? Didn't you ask me a question? Oh yea, My dolly is strong because I built her strong. I also been enhancing her productivity through various arcane means throughout the day so you may have a slightly skewed perspective of her abilities. Now if you want me to scry for a large concentration of rock I'd better get to bed now so I can wake up extra early. OK. I love you good night." Chris and his doll run back to her shack before you can get a word in and in a few moments Chris can be heard snoring softly.

With the sun low in the sky your team heads out. Lead by Gorb who you find is a seasoned tracker you are deep in the jungle when the need for torches finally arises. An hour latter of tracking in a silence only broken by unseen denizens of the jungle Gorb signals everyone to stop.
    "You feel that?" Gorb says nervously.
    "The only thing I feel is tired" Quinn the human ex-bartender from Zilargo says wiping his brow with a strip of colored cloth you have been placing a markers.
    "Hmm" Horrace said quietly stroking his chin. "Here's a question dwarf if we were going the right way shouldn't we have been following the cloth markers instead of footprints. Admit it you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. I knew should have been more suspicious of a dwarven tracker."
    "Run!" Gord yells as he dashes into the undergrowth with surprising speed for a dwarf. Only Sarius follows the dwarfs lead dragging another militiamen by the collar as he rushes away and throwing both torches onto the ground.
    "That's right coward dwarf run away when you know I'm-" Before he could finish the flesh from his neck is raked into the air by an invisible force and just hovers there dripping blood as Horrace falls to the ground dead without the aid of very powerful and very immediate curative magics. Passing through a tree like a specter, a beast of nightmare stalks towards you. It looks like an emaciated purpple cat the size of a horse with six legs and horrid tentacles coming out of it's back. The rest of your men panic and race off into the night as the beast rakes the air with its tentacles and more wounds appear upon Horrace's corpse. The name displacer beast jumps to mind but you do not recall any information that would be useful other than the fact that they often hunt in packs.

"Did you call for me councilor?" Goznold asks. "No, I could have sworn some one was looking for me. Anyways now that I got your attention I would like to make a suggestion. Seeing how difficult it is to turn dense jungle into arable land without the help of powerful magic I thought you might be up for a suggestion. Sure in the grand scheme of things if you continue clearing land we may yet reap the benefits somewhere down the line, but what good is that doing us now? I suggest you concentrate your efforts going out to gather berries and hunting small game. Although if you are dead set on clearing out the jungle nothing tells the trees who's the boss like a little fire. Say the word and I'll get everything set up to torch the nearby flora to the ground by the day after tomorrow.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-12-19 at 01:11 PM.