New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Eye for an Eye: OOTS-style webcomic.

Yes, I know there's more OOTS-style webbycoms then there are humans on this earth. But bear with me.
    QUICK FACTS.
    I'm not really going by DnD rules and such here. I'll make up races, abilities, weapons, classes---you name it, I want it, it exists.
    UPDATE #0. First two characters added.
    UPDATE #1. Added Algol.
    UPDATE #2. Added Talon.
    UPDATE #3. Added Phosphor.
    UPDATE #4. Added Beige Dragon.
    UPDATE #5. Added David.
    UPDATE #6. Added Fetter.
    UPDATE #7. ADDED FIRST COMIC. HELLS YEAH.
    UPDATE #8. SECOND COMIC.
    Characters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heroes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kilconey.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kilconey Ochreblade.

Race: Arisnic
    Class: Greyguard (it's like Swashbuckler meets Bard.)
    Weapon: Sabre
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Bio: Kilconey has worked as a blade-for-hire since he started his career. Several years ago, he went on an assignment with another hired soldier, Greinel Rensin. However, Greinel turned on him shortly after the mission. The two fought---Kilconey nearly lost an eye, while his foe was less fortunate. He left Greinel there, showing unusual mercy.

He now is part of a group questing through the oddly-named Third Dungeon in search of the Crimson Shard, a powerful artifact stolen years ago from the Silden family (the family of his group's leader, David Silden).

Kilconey is good, but not always very nice---he is rather cynical. He focuses more on destroying evil than actively promoting goodness. He has become the close companion of Phosphor Terma, the group's fire-witch.
    Abilities: Decent strength, but excels most in ability and speed.

Phosphor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phosphor Terma.

Race: Human
    Class: Fire-Witch
    Weapon: Has a dagger, but relies more on magic.
    Bio: Phosphor Terma, "Phossy" to those who know her well, is a wanderer. She's been at it since her teens.
    She is a fire-witch, a spellcaster focusing mostly on incendiary and destructive spells. Naturally, she's a bit of a loner.
    She's been drafted into the party of David Silden, an adventurer seeking an artifact stolen from his family.

Phosphor is a rather quiet, unobtrusive person. She's not the one to shout at others---mostly. Sometimes a bit too much pressure causes her to explode.
    Abilities: Proficient in fiery and/or destructive magic. Immune to fire, heat, and smoke.

David.
    Spoiler
    Show
    David Silden.

Race: Human
    Class: Rogue
    Weapon: The Coilbow, a spring-powered alternative to a crossbow.
    Bio: David Silden was 15 when he learned about the Crimson Shard, an artifact stolen from his family. For six years, he trained like mad to be prepared to take it back.
    In a tavern in his town, he gathered together an Arisnic Greyguard, a fire-witch, and a halfling cleric for his adventuring party.

David is flashy and a showoff. He will go out of his way to look cool, especially at the risk of danger. He's a good guy by all means, but naive and with an ego that is at critical mass.
    Abilities: David is proficient at stealth and sharpshooting.

Fetter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fetter Birchroot.

Race: Halfling
    Class: Cleric
    Alignment: Lawful Good.
    Weapon: Clerical spells, holy mace.
    Bio: Fetter has always been the misfit---a hairless halfling.
    He became a cleric of the halfling Earth/Underworld god Urogalan as soon as he could.
    Recently, he was hired as the cleric of David Silden's party.

Fetter is pessimistic and bad-humored, yet seldom makes any facial expression. Despite this, he is truly good inside. His surly demeanor and Kilconey's wry wit make them on good terms with each other.
    Abilities: Clerical magic, mostly healing. Can call upon the force of Earth.

Villains
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greinel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greinel Rensin.

Race: Arisnic
    Class: Warlord/Sorcerer
    Weapon: Wrist-blade Gauntlet (the blade retracts completely, and snaps out in an instant.) and Deadlight (sorcerous eye replacement)
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Bio: He worked as a mercenary for a while, until that fateful mission with Kilconey. He turned on his fellow Arisnic and tried to kill him for the sake of profit---not having to divide the money.
    He met his match in Kilconey, who left with a semicolon-shaped scar by his eye. Greinel lost his own eye, and was left alive.

He was quick to rebound from this; he left the blade-for-hire business and soon fell into control of a goblin cleric and a death knight; the three quickly took over a tribe of goblins, and began raising a vast army. His current state of affairs is unknown...

Greinel's left eye has been replaced with a Deadlight, a sorcerous device that works as an eye and can also see over distances, see in darkness, and penetrate weak illusions. It also is rumored to have an ability called the Deadgaze.

Greinel is a pitiless and sadistic villain. He is sometimes impatient, usually saying "Less talking, more unspeakable violence." Few things surprise him anymore. He has little or no regard for others' lives, including those of his troops. The only people whose well-being concerns him are himself, his cleric Talon, and his death knight Algol.

Abilities: Besides being a devastating melee combatant, Greinel is a powerful sorcerer (because of a strange artifact he wears upon his armor) who wreaks havok up close. All in all, he is a truly nasty piece of work.

Algol.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Algol.

Race: Undead Human
    Class: Death Knight
    Weapon: A massive Dark Starmetal Scimitar
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Bio: Not much is known about Algol's life (as opposed to his unlife). It is known that he was a powerful Antipaladin who, alongside a goblin cleric named Talon, was fighting for control of a large goblin tribe. When a certain Greinel Rensin stepped in, the trio were well on their way to leadership. With both the warlord/sorcerer and the cleric at his back, Algol went out, slaughtered half the enemy troops by himself, and rather made a point of dying.

He then became the death knight known as Algol. While the remaining enemy forces were busy gloating over his death, he waded into them and carved them to mincemeat.

Algol is very... enthusiastic about battle. He revels in killing things, and is the brute force behind Greinel's legions. A strong general in the heat of battle, he prefers to be right in the front line, where his huge scimitar can cleave through his foes. His other hand, his spellcasting one, is armored in bloodstained steel.

Abilities: Very strong and fast. Resilient as a lump of iron. Can cast close-range fire spells and instill fear in others.

Talon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talon.

Race: Goblin
    Class: Cleric
    Weapon: Magic, metal hand.
    Alignment: Lawful evil.
    Bio: A powerful cleric, he was able to take over a tribe of goblins with the aid of Algol and the leadership of Greinel.
    He lost a hand in battle and now has a metal replacement; this allows him to hold his own in melee, including his formidable Mortal Grasp (in which he jams his hand into one's ribcage and tears at their heart) and deflect weapons. However, he is most effective at a distance, healing and buffing allies and blighting foes.

Talon is a stickler for details and can get too caught-up in them at times. He is the tactical force behind the legions, planning this and that. He mostly believes that the fighting is best left to the fighters, and the clerics are better off not bothering with that.

Abilities: Metal hand allows for Mortal Grasp attack. Powerful clerical spells.

Beige Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beige Dragon.

Race: Dragon.
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
    Bio: This dragon only fits in the Villain category because he hangs out with them. He's a pretty nice guy, and doesn't really do... anything. He makes laziness an art form.
    Abilities: Incredibly tough hide deflects blades. Very strong and fast, but rarely cares to use these abilities. His breath weapons remain unknown...

Comics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beans; 2009-01-04 at 12:22 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eye for an Eye: OOTS-style webcomic.

The hero's eyes seem to big..but then, it's a race I don't know so...ok.
    But when a hand is closed around a weapons handle, it doesn't show the OOTS style 'fist', just look at your own avatar for example.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    The hero's eyes seem to big..but then, it's a race I don't know so...ok.
    But when a hand is closed around a weapons handle, it doesn't show the OOTS style 'fist', just look at your own avatar for example.
    1. The Arisnic race has large eyes.
    2. I'm doing things a bit differently from the normal style.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    1. The Arisnic race has large eyes.
    2. I'm doing things a bit differently from the normal style.
    Well then technically it's not OotS style then.

But seriously, keep going! OotS isn't the only style you can draw stick figures in, and other styles make a refreshing change on this board.
    Any idea when we can expect Comic #1?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Well then technically it's not OotS style then.

But seriously, keep going! OotS isn't the only style you can draw stick figures in, and other styles make a refreshing change on this board.
    Any idea when we can expect Comic #1?
    Er... I have no idea.
    You can, however, expect a bunch of characters added in the following days. Such as Algol (I like that better than Vikor) the death-knight, whose unrealistically-huge scimitar I'm working on now.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Love the art style :D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Allllllllrighty.
    Added Algol, the death-knight who swings a preposterous scimitar.
    And Talon, the goblin cleric whose left hand is, you guessed it, replaced with metal talons. No, he's not going to be a Redcloak knockoff. I hope. I might put an earring on him or something.
    Added another goodie, Phosphor.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Oooo I like the art style.
    ____

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BEIGE DRAGON!
    Yes, he kinda is EFAE's version of the MITD. But no, he's not a direct ripoff. He's more focused on a lack of doing... anything... than being childish.
    That's why I drew him sitting like that, with his tail curled and his arms folded. He sits.
    A lot.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

You got that from one of the giants extras comics!

Infact Talon and the skeleton guy look like Xykon and redcloak!

Plus his starmetal sword is copied to! Besides, it would way alot! Copycat.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2008-12-31 at 01:40 PM.
    ____

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post

Au contraire. Though Talon does look a lot like Redcloak, I have no intention of making him act the same. In fact, Talon's mannerisms would seem more like V.
    And Algol isn't a Xykon-copy. He's closer to the Death Knight that was used in the siege on Azure City. And I did say dark starmetal. It's as light as regular steel, but it's more awesome. Anyway, Algol's inhumanly strong.
    And the Beige Dragon, yeah. The concept was copied, but the character's mannerisms are my idea.
    In short, jumping to conclusions and making accusations is a great way to be proven wrong.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

You said his manerisms were like mitd. Copieing V's personality is still copieing. Same with the death night concept. *little gngster kid runs over and shouts* OWNED!

Me: Who are you?

Gangster: I'm pauly.

Me: Go away Pauley.

Pauley: Yes sir.
    ____

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You said his manerisms were like mitd. Copieing V's personality is still copieing. Same with the death night concept. *little gngster kid runs over and shouts* OWNED!

Me: Who are you?

Gangster: I'm pauly.

Me: Go away Pauley.

Pauley: Yes sir.
    1. Find where I said that his mannerisms were like MITD's. Quote it. Otherwise, wrong.
    2. Did I say "Talon's personality will be exactly like V's." at all? No. I said it would be more like V's than like Redcloak's.
    3. Having a death knight is not copying. If he acted just like Xykon's DK, rode a skeletal horse, etc, that would be copying. And I gave him an original backstory.

Again, you're jumping to conclusions.
    And typing badly.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

What's EFEA?
    ____

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Well, to be fair, from your descriptions, Greinel does sound like Xykon, Algol does look and sound like the death knight from OOTS, Talon does look and sound like Redcloak, and the Beige Dragon definitely sounds like the MitD.

However, there's no reason to not give you the benefit of the doubt until we can rely on actual comics to judge your characters instead of just your descriptions.

That's just my 2 cents. No reason to argue about a comic that hasn't even started yet.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Wow that sounded.... Wow.
    ____

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

What's EFEA?
    Eye For An Eye.
    It's an acronym.

Part of me thinks, "Well, he seems to have stopped incorrectly calling me out for 'copying'."
    The other part thinks, "No such luck."
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Wow that sounded.... Wow.
    Uh...yes?

Anyway, I was just trying to defuse the situation a little.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

My brain hurts!
    ____

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Well, to be fair, from your descriptions, Greinel does sound like Xykon, Algol does look and sound like the death knight from OOTS, Talon does look and sound like Redcloak, and the Beige Dragon definitely sounds like the MitD.

However, there's no reason to not give you the benefit of the doubt until we can rely on actual comics to judge your characters instead of just your descriptions.

That's just my 2 cents. No reason to argue about a comic that hasn't even started yet.
    Ah, I love the sweet scent of reasonableness.
    Greinel. Yeah, he sounds like Xykon. He really isn't, at least not that much. Whereas Xykon's a wisecracking bone-bag, Greinel is more of a dour, humorless killer. In battle, the "sorcery" bit of him would be mostly Plan B stuff. If melee isn't going well, although it usually does for him, he'll whip out some lightning to soften 'em up.

Algol, yeah. He seems a lot like Xykon's Death Knight. Then again, I feel the DK was a great character who just didn't get enough on-panel-time. A typical thing will be Algol getting a bit confused or stuck on issues that don't involve killing stuff.

Talon... the moment you put a cloak on a goblin, a flock of squawking crows flies in and starts yammering on about "REDCLOAK COPY!"
    Imagine him as both similar to V and as the opposite of Algol. Algol's fine if you're talking about death and combat, but gets stuck elsewhere. Talon's less concerned with the battle and more with his spells. He'll try a spell, it won't work as he planned, but it'll end up helping his forces in a different way; he'll be annoyed until someone reminds him that they benefited anyway. He doesn't think about the soldiers. He thinks of an army as one whole being.

Beigey. Well, it's natural for him to seem like MITD. That's just what many people are bound to think.
    But he's different. He's not the childish, comical monster who doesn't know his own strength. He's the apathetic, sits-on-his-arse monster who knows his own strength and very rarely cares enough to use it. They have him guard a door, and he just sits in front of it and blocks it.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Fair enough.

I'll still reserve judgement on similarities until actual comics are posted, though, as intention and execution don't always mesh perfectly.

Best of luck to ya, anyhow. Webcomickry is tough stuff.
    Last edited by Sneak; 2008-12-31 at 02:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Webcomickry is tough stuff.
    No it's not! It's easy!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Ah, I love the sweet scent of reasonableness.
    Greinel. Yeah, he sounds like Xykon. He really isn't, at least not that much. Whereas Xykon's a wisecracking bone-bag, Greinel is more of a dour, humorless killer. In battle, the "sorcery" bit of him would be mostly Plan B stuff. If melee isn't going well, although it usually does for him, he'll whip out some lightning to soften 'em up.

Algol, yeah. He seems a lot like Xykon's Death Knight. Then again, I feel the DK was a great character who just didn't get enough on-panel-time. A typical thing will be Algol getting a bit confused or stuck on issues that don't involve killing stuff.

Talon... the moment you put a cloak on a goblin, a flock of squawking crows flies in and starts yammering on about "REDCLOAK COPY!"
    Imagine him as both similar to V and as the opposite of Algol. Algol's fine if you're talking about death and combat, but gets stuck elsewhere. Talon's less concerned with the battle and more with his spells. He'll try a spell, it won't work as he planned, but it'll end up helping his forces in a different way; he'll be annoyed until someone reminds him that they benefited anyway. He doesn't think about the soldiers. He thinks of an army as one whole being.

Beigey. Well, it's natural for him to seem like MITD. That's just what many people are bound to think.
    But he's different. He's not the childish, comical monster who doesn't know his own strength. He's the apathetic, sits-on-his-arse monster who knows his own strength and very rarely cares enough to use it. They have him guard a door, and he just sits in front of it and blocks it.
    I am anticipating a good comic from you and well I see slight refernces betwwen the Oots characters and the EFREA(shouldn't it be either EFRE or AEFRAE?) characters.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough.

I'll still reserve judgement on similarities until actual comics are posted, though, as intention and execution don't always mesh perfectly.

Best of luck to ya, anyhow. Webcomickry is tough stuff.
    True dat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourtox View Post
    I am anticipating a good comic from you and well I see slight refernces betwwen the Oots characters and the EFREA(shouldn't it be either EFRE or AEFRAE?) characters.
    It's Eye For An Eye. Only one "an."

Incidentally, I sent Crimsonangel a little New Year's comic via PM. It involves him. A little. He's walking out in the first panel, with Kilconey yelling at him.
    I suppose I'll just put it for everyone to see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beans; 2008-12-31 at 02:49 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I saw that in the OOTS Style Art Showcase.

Looks good so far, although the speech bubbles do bother me a bit.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I saw that in the OOTS Style Art Showcase.

Looks good so far, although the speech bubbles do bother me a bit.
    I'll probably tone that bit down a lot in the comics.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    No it's not! It's easy!
    Quality > Quantity, Q.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Ooooo, Buuuurrrrn.
    ____

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Quality > Quantity, Q.
    Dosen't change the fact that it's easy.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Hypocrisy overload!
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2008-12-31 at 03:04 PM.