New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp IV: Flattery Will Get You EVERYWHERE

Inspired by one of Rabbit's answers in the GtKaP! thread:

The Elopement
    Spoiler
    Show
    It had been a long, hard time. No-one had really understood her feelings (“You’re WHAT?! You’re in love with- that’s just WEIRD, I mean really, you’re my sister and I love you, but… how…?”), some, hurtfully, had assumed the whole thing to be a joke (“Ha ha! Nice one, Rabbit. That’s hilarious.”), some thought she must be mad (“Silly Coney, silly… Helgraf understands, yes, Coney’s mind a-slipping off, might love just anything, anything, everything, nothing meaning, sanity all a-shatter, just like Helgraf…”).
    But they were all wrong. It was real, what she felt. And though it was incredibly hard, through all temptations she remained faithful (“I’m sorry, Rai. I’d choose you over anyone else, but I can only love one of you.”), and continued to cherish her love, despite the harsh restrictions of her father (“I will not have such things happening under my roof! And from now on you will remain under my roof, until you are of age, when you will marry Raistlin, and forget this nonsense!”).
    In the end, she had no choice but to run away. Those who really cared would help her (“We need witnesses, and someone to hold the ceremony.” “Me. I followed you, sorry.” “Me too. I wish I could marry you, but since I can’t, I’ll help you with this.” “As Queen of Shipping, I’m allowed to hold marriage ceremonies if I want.” “Thank you all.” “Let’s get going then. Marriage! Marriage is what brings us together…”)
    And so finally, they were together, and alone. In a hotel room, two suitcases dumped carelessly just inside the door, they sat on the bed, Rabbit holding tightly to her beloved pomegranate.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #872

And now, good sirs and ladies of the thread I present you with what has come before in:

Definition drabble

Outraged
    Accentuate
    Domicile
    Alienist
    Prolix
    Dragoon
    Ineffable
    Golem
    Jurisprudence
    Definition - by Helgraf
    Lothario
    Exculpate
    Touchstone
    Prelapsarian
    Remora
    Kickshaw
    Bifurcate
    Simulacrum
    Undulant
    Wisenheimer
    Conciliatory
    Videlicet

And the latest, and twice as long:

Scapegrace - literal interpretation : - one who has escaped the grace of God
    Spoiler
    Show

Pain was eating away at her shoulder and chest. Heat, hot to the point of scalding her billowed and trickled in steady streams around the centre of her agony. Glaring out through the mist she noted with some surprise that she was bleeding a little bit, it didn’t hurt that much though.
    It occurred to her that that was a bit odd.
    Hmm, and the pain was fading away a bit too. It felt like a warm bath at the moment; Mama used to like baths. She’d tell stories while we went to the local bathhouse and teach us songs. How did it go?
    Over the hills of emerald
    Stands a tall tall tower
    A tower of ivory

What is in that tower tall?
    O, what is in that tower tall?

Long ago, in the times of old
    Lived a paladin and his wife
    True and bold was he
    Smart and brave was she
    A single heart they shared
    Truest love was theirs for all time

Why dwelled they in that tower tall?
    O, why dwelled they there?

I, I can’t remember. But someone’s singing it again, and it’s so warm. Maybe Mama’s singing it again. I want my Mama.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-01-01 at 01:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

:: giggles::
    I got shipped with a Mandolorian and a pomegranate. This day could not get any better.
    Also, Curly, again with the sadness. I do so love it when you gift us <3

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

4. - Top - End - #874
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    Darth Evilguy... you should have put another shipper in that role.
    Yeah, probably.

Just let me build up to it. I'm still getting my feet wet with this shipping thing
    This is a boring signature.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korith View Post
    Yeah, probably.

Just let me build up to it. I'm still getting my feet wet with this shipping thing
    I wonder if anyone would be intimidated or fearful of Darth TwoBit, Dark Lord of the Sith!

6. - Top - End - #876

Bah! Jump in headfirst, I say! It's what I did, and look where it got me!

Remember what we told you about thinking before speaking...

7. - Top - End - #877
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I wonder if anyone would be intimidated or fearful of Darth TwoBit, Dark Lord of the Sith!
    Evilguy most certainly had an apprentice...or a master...
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Betrayal (Rabbit and Turtle backstory, part 1)
    Midnight Son, with appearances by Happyturtle

Spoiler
    Show
    A cry pierced the dark morning hours. Midnight Son groaned and climbed out of bed to get the baby and bring her back to his wife. While Yvette sleepily nursed the child, he got dressed. It was too close to dawn to bother going back to sleep. He waited until they were done and put the baby back in the cradle.

"Love you,"
    Yvette mumbled.

"I love you too," he said, and kissed her goodbye.

As the dawn was beginning to arrive on the horizon, he let himself into a small house on the other side of town, where pale, feminine arms drew him into the bedroom.

Two years later:

"Unca!"
    the toddler announced proudly.

Peter Raven scooped her up into his arms. "That's right, Chelonie. How did you know that?"

"It was Midnight Son's idea," Yvette said. "I shapeshifted into your form every now and again so that you wouldn't be a stranger to Happy."

Yvette and Peter were the only two full blooded shapeshifters left in the Blackdust clan. Both had some natural talent, but Peter had gone away to their original homeland to train with more of their kind. Now he was home, and it was the first time he'd seen his sister's child.

"Happy?" Peter asked.

"Appy!" the baby said and batted at her uncle's nose.

"It's our name for her," Midnight Son said. "We've never seen such a cheerful baby."

"Until she get mad," Yvette added proudly. "That tantrum of hers is going to become a fine barbarian rage, mark my words."

Peter tossed her up in the air and caught her again. "Are you going to be a meatshield, Chelonie? Is that your job? You'll have to train hard then."

Happy only shrieked and laughed.

They looked like a perfect family. It didn't take long for Peter's watchful eye to learn otherwise.

No one but Yvette knew him well enough to read the fury in his seemingly calm expression. "You found out about Miranda then."

"You know?"

"Everyone knows. It started soon after Happy was born. And everyone pretends not to see."

"And you just accept it?"

"For the clan. Isn't that what Father always taught us?" Yvette said, but then her face twisted in rage. "Of course I don't accept it. I just need more time. Another six months, maybe a year. I have to make sure it looks natural."

"What are you talking about?"

Yvette smiled and shapeshifted into a mouse. "I started years ago. I can get into her house unseen whenever I like. And then I add a few herbs into her tea. Different ones each time. If she serves tea to a visitor it won't hurt them, but the cumulative effect of the daily exposure will eventually kill her." She shifted back. "So you see, there's nothing for you to worry about, Peter. I have everything under control. All I need you to do is the same thing everyone else does. Pretend not to see."

That night, Miranda's lover was late to arrive. And when he did arrive, he turned away before she could kiss him.

"Yvie's brother found out," he said.

Miranda bit her lip. "We always knew that was a possibility."

"He's angry. He says he'll invoke the old laws on adultery. If he takes it to a tribal council..."

"What? But nobody's used thaw laws in hundreds of years?! No one will support him."

"Miranda, we can't take that chance. You would be executed. You have to leave."

"Both of us would be..." she said in horror. Then she shook her head. "No. My father will block it."

"Peter is your father's key rival. Don't you think he'll have allies? This is what he does, Miranda. In the end, it wouldn't be about us. It would be about whether your father or my brother in law is the right one to lead the tribe when Abner is dead."

"You want me to leave Blackdust?"

"You have to. It's the only way I can know you'll be safe, Miranda. Would to god I could be the one to leave, but Peter would never let me take Happy."

He pressed a leather bag of coins into her hands. "This should be enough to let you start over. Forget about me. Find someone new. Someone who deserves you."

She went cold inside. "I'll leave. I'll be gone by morning. Just go."

He tried to kiss her goodbye, but she refused, turning her face away. "It's over. Just let me go."

Once he had gone, she started shaking all over. Because she knew that the man who had just left was not her lover. Midnight Son was jealous of every man who looked at her. He would never have told her to find someone new. And that meant it was a shapeshifter. Yvette couldn't do a man's voice. For that matter, Peter had never before been able to mimic voices, but perhaps he'd learned while he was away. If he hadn't slipped up at the end, she wouldn't have known. And that terrified her.

So when she fled, it wasn't for fear of ancient laws, but for fear of the man who might try to come to her bed in the shape of her lover. A man who had always wanted her and might be ruthless enough to take by deceit what he was too civilized to take by force.

A white bird watched over Miranda on her journey, making sure she made it safely away.

"Be safe, my Miranda,"
    Peter Raven whispered into the wind.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

Evilguy most certainly had an apprentice...or a master...
    Or a hamster. Yeah, probably a hamster.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-12-24 at 11:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Happyturtle, excellent work. Its a nice glimpse into the beginnings of the sad history behind you and your half-sister Rabbit.

I have written my own part of the Redemption of Mordokai series. This is a bit earlier in the continuity, after Turtle gave herself to Mordokai, but before she was taken away by Jon.

A New Assignment A Redemption Fic

Spoiler
    Show

“Jon! I must speak with you,” Rabbit called out, her voice resonating throughout her citadel.

There was a brief breeze and suddenly Jonlas, her finest spy and assassin, stood before her. He bowed just enough to show respect, but not enough to completely prostrate himself before her. She smirked.

Jon was an expert at disguise and infiltration. He was fluent in several languages with barely any trace of foreign accents, if there was anyone that Rabbit could count on to rescue her sister, it would be Jon. She had discovered him, broken and tattered in the streets. She had brought him to her citadel, and freed him from the magical compulsion his old master had held him under. Now he was her loyal lapdog.

“I am here, Ms. Rabbit,” Jon finally said. He stood again. Rabbit was so used to the complete subservience of her undead that having a living, breathing person showing her respect was still something she had been unused to. People had bowed to her out of fear, yes, but not respect.

“Jon, as you know, my sister has offered herself to Mordokai, in an attempt to redeem him. I feel this is a mistake and I want her back. I want you to infiltrate Mordokai's fortress and try to bring her back to me.”

Jon performed another slight bow. “As you wish, Ms. Rabbit.” He turned slowly and walked out of the chamber, nodding to a pair of liches standing guard.

"And Jon?" Rabbit suddenly asked.

"Yes, Ms. Rabbit?"

"Jon... Don't hurt too many people. They are enemies... but most of his followers are not evil. You are only allowed to defend yourself and to kill his personal guard...for they are his most loyal followers."

Jon nodded, though he was frustrated. "As you wish, Ms. Rabbit." He swiftly left Rabbit's presense. Only having permission to kill Mordokai's guard would complicate matters...

Jon’s thoughts were hurried as he prepared for his journey. He had a reputation for being a sort of Shapeshifter with his disguises, being able to emulate most any type of person imaginable. He had prepared his make-up and prosthetics kit, and concealed his assassin’s dagger on his person. Ms. Rabbit had given him another mission, this time one of rescue. He had never attempted such a task before, and it was against the fallen paladin Mordokai.

He sighed, if only he could simply kill the man, that would make things so much simpler. He knew that that would upset Ms. Rabbit though, and his loyalty to her was absolute. He would only accomplish what he had been told to do.

He held up a small vial of sleeping potion. Turtle was a barbarian, and in case she would not come willingly, he would have to use this.

Fully dressed, Jon left Rabbit’s citadel on horseback. It would be a difficult matter to scale Mordokai’s fortress walls, then assassinate and impersonate one of his guardsmen. He would have to utilize all his skills to appear as one that Mordokai had hand-picked for the position of his guard.

From there… well… he would just have to wait for the right moment.

Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-24 at 11:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    :: giggles::
    I got shipped with a Mandolorian and a pomegranate. This day could not get any better.
    Also, Curly, again with the sadness. I do so love it when you gift us <3
    The pomegranate ship was funny; and you know what? I promise that RHL will have a happy ending in this fic. It's already planned out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #882
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Or a hamster. Yeah, probably a hamster.
    It's certainly possible...

A Sith Hamster, with a lightsaber hamster wheel
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

It's certainly possible...

A Sith Hamster, with a lightsaber hamster wheel
    I've played in exactly two Star Wars RPGs. In one of them I wanted to be a sith cat. The gamemaster said no. So I played a friggin' dragon instead! Lightning breath weapon, energy immunity, and everything. We were about three sessions in before the gamemaster realized that he'd basically allowed me to play an invulnerable, force sensitive killing machine. He sooooo should have let me play the cat!

14. - Top - End - #884
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

So that's, what, a 12D strength code?
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

So that's, what, a 12D strength code?
    Maybe it was the d20 version...

16. - Top - End - #886
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

That would be a strength score of 40, if I'm remembering the conversion table.
    Last edited by Korith; 2008-12-24 at 12:11 PM.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, it was an Alternity homebrew. The gamemaster couldn't stand the d6 system and this was before 3.0 D&D/d20 was released.
    <<
    >>
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-12-24 at 12:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Korith- How very odd. Well done, sir.

@ Thufir- Heh. That's what happens when random marriage proposals occur. Very nice.

@ Curly- Aww. More sad. Oh well. Still well written.

@ Happy- Hmm. Nicely written, if a bit creepy.

@ TwoBit- How dare you interrupt the pattern and make me go change the order! And nice set-up. Guess you're forgoing the idea of Jonlas not wanting to kill in this particular series?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    @ TwoBit- How dare you interrupt the pattern and make me go change the order! And nice set-up. Guess you're forgoing the idea of Jonlas not wanting to kill in this particular series?
    Pretty much, we have plenty of good guys, and some bad guys. I wanted to stick to the morally ambiguous.

Jonlas doesn't care if he kills or not, he is just restraining himself because redeemed Rabbit wouldn't want him killing unrestrained. He is not an evil character, but he is not exactly all that good either. He will kill anyone that gets in his way and doesn't apply under Rabbit's mandate.

Also, in the stories, Jon is loyal only to Rabbit, and no one else. There is no falling or redeeming for him.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course. You're a slightly twisted version of the Battle Butler.

Gotta go think of what to do next with this. Haven't a clue right now...
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm leaving work in ten minutes and probably won't be back until Tuesday, the 30th. I look forward to desperately trying to catch up on the great fics that will be posted from here til then.

In Redemption, Don't forget to include Jon somewhere Shameless Plug

Have a great and safe holiday week everyone! I hope you all enjoyed A Shipper's Carol!

22. - Top - End - #892
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Scapegrace - literal interpretation : - one who has escaped the grace of God
    Spoiler
    Show

Pain was eating away at her shoulder and chest. Heat, hot to the point of scalding her billowed and trickled in steady streams around the centre of her agony. Glaring out through the mist she noted with some surprise that she was bleeding a little bit, it didn’t hurt that much though.
    It occurred to her that that was a bit odd.
    Hmm, and the pain was fading away a bit too. It felt like a warm bath at the moment; Mama used to like baths. She’d tell stories while we went to the local bathhouse and teach us songs. How did it go?
    Over the hills of emerald
    Stands a tall tall tower
    A tower of ivory

What is in that tower tall?
    O, what is in that tower tall?

Long ago, in the times of old
    Lived a paladin and his wife
    True and bold was he
    Smart and brave was she
    A single heart they shared
    Truest love was theirs for all time

Why dwelled they in that tower tall?
    O, why dwelled they there?

I, I can’t remember. But someone’s singing it again, and it’s so warm. Maybe Mama’s singing it again. I want my Mama.
    If I had more time, I would so do another drabble to follow this. I yet may - _if I can get the time_.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

23. - Top - End - #893

Christmas songfic for you. Can't find a youtube video, but you can at least listen to it.

Have Yourself A Bitter Little Christmas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cristo sighed. He was never that into the Christmas spirit anyway, it always rang a bit hollow, but this year even less so.
    He looked out the window…

The kids are making snowmen out of mud,
    It makes me think about us,
    Does that mean something?
    Yeah I think it does,
    But let’s not talk about it;

(Never enough real snow, I don’t even know why they bother, just trying to build it out of entirely the wrong materials…)

Conversation only makes us weak,
    Consequently we don't speak,
    Not with conviction or belief,
    I know my head I know my feet,
    And they're both pointing out the door.

(We never talk, nothing really to say, is there?)

And so I'm leaving you on Christmas Day,
    Forgive my timing but I simply have a mind to run away,
    And I don't care what all the people say,
    ’Cause I say peace and goodwill starts with getting the hell out of here…

(The whole holiday’s a lie, just like this damn relationship, why keep either of them going any longer? Who cares what other people may think, we’ll both have much better Christmases if we’re apart anyway…)

The decorations sit and gather dust,
    Yeah I think it does,
    But let’s not talk about it;

(Something that looked good to start off with, until everyone lost interest, now it just sits there, disregarded… why keep something like that?)

Boxes of the shiny and the cheap,
    With nothing permanent to keep,
    Sit in high spirits for a month,
    And when the sherry's all been drunk,
    There's nothing much that keeps me here,

(Nothing that really lasts… And I sit around and drink and once I’m sober I want to leave. Why am I still here?)

Oh my dear,
    I'm leaving you on Christmas Day,
    In truth I think we never liked each other anyway,
    'Cause I say peace and goodwill starts with getting the hell out of here,
    Alive.

(In case all the arguments, the yelling, the silences haven’t got the message across by now, I’ll put it bluntly: We just don’t work. Sorry, but this is killing me, crushing my spirit, the only way is out. I can’t live like this.)

The house is cold the boiler’s packing up,
    Yes, well I think it does,
    But let’s not dwell upon that,

(A useless shell, nothing to preserve the warmth against the outside chill…)

They say outside it's minus 8 degrees,
    I swear it ain't as cold as me,
    I know there is no winter breeze,
    To make your heart begin to freeze,
    I know it happened years ago,

(Having to keep this charade up… all my warmth has been long since spent on you to no good effect, and you can’t give me any more, because yours has all been gone for years, never to return…)

And so,
    I'm leaving you on Christmas Day,
    In truth I think we never really liked each other anyway,
    ‘Cause I say have yourself a bitter little Christmas,
    And a twisted new year.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2008-12-24 at 07:11 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Thufir- Really well done ship. Everything seem to fit the song. And so sad.. *curses holiday depression stuff*
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Promise (Turtle/Rabbit backstory, part 2)
    appearances by Midnight Son, Rabbit

Spoiler
    Show
    Childhood games, girls travelling in packs to torment their fellows. Eleven year old Miranda was their Queen Bee--so confident, so scornful, so radiantly beautiful. Twelve year old Peter couldn't keep his eyes off her. And one day, after combat practice, when they were both covered with sweat and dirt, she'd kissed him.

Fourteen years later, Peter Raven still remembered that kiss. For him, his first kiss, awkward and clumsy and impossibly sweet. For her, just another game, soon forgotten.

He watched over her as she settled in to her new life, far from Blackdust. Far from his murderous sister.

Miranda had known when she left that she was pregnant with Midnight Son's child, but it hadn't influenced her decision. She'd conceived before, but had always miscarried early. She thought she was infertile. She didn't know she was being poisoned by her rival. Now, far from Yvette, she was able to give birth to a little girl.

But the poison had left its mark. It took years longer than Yvette had planned, but eventually, Miranda sickened. No healer was able to do more than alleviate her pain.

When he realized she was dying, Peter flew into her window in the form of a white raven. She awoke from a fevered sleep to see him sitting at her bedside.

"Peter," she said, without hostility. The years, or her illness, had softened her hatred of the man. It took strength to hate.

"I'm sorry, Miranda. I never wanted this."

"You banished me," she said. "Did you hate me so much?"

"I never hated you. Midnight Son never would have left Yvette. You would have always been his second choice. I hoped that once you were away from him, you could find a way to be happy."

"How could I have ever been happy?"
    she asked bitterly.

He wiped her brow with a cool cloth. "What can I do to make it up to you? Name it, Miranda. Whatever you ask, I'll do it, I swear."

"My Rabbit,"
    she said. "She belongs with her father. Her sister. With her tribe. Keep her safe. Whatever it takes."

"You have my word," Peter said.

Rabbit found him by her mother's bed the next day and flew at him in rage. "Who are you? Get away from her! Get away!"

He shifted into a white raven and flew to the windowsill. Then, when Rabbit began throwing things at him, he flew away. She clung to her mother and cried. Rabbit recognized the bird. She'd seen the white raven before, watching them. Watching her mother. And now she knew that the raven was the one who had made her mother ill.

Peter kept his word. He returned home and told his brother in law that he had another daughter, and that Miranda was dying. Midnight Son set off at once. He was too late to see Miranda alive, but he did bring Rabbit home with him.

For days, the child was lost in grief, uninterested in learning anything about the family she'd suddenly acquired. Until she walked out of her room one day to see him. The monster. The raven thing thing had killed her mother.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Promise (Turtle/Rabbit backstory, part 2)
    appearances by Midnight Son, Rabbit

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    I was hoping to see this before I left for good!

Very nice, and also very sad. I wonder when the Redemption series is gonna turn more upbeat...

Merry Christmas to you Brits!

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

Rabbit approves.
    And is highly intrigued.
    I applaud you, Turtle...

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

I was hoping to see this before I left for good!

Very nice, and also very sad. I wonder when the Redemption series is gonna turn more upbeat...

Merry Christmas to you Brits!
    Hmmm. Redemption series, upbeat? Is that a possibility until the conclusion? *off to ponder*

@ Happy- Very interesting. Misunderstandings seem to be the bane of existence/happiness. Keep up the good work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Hmmm. Redemption series, upbeat? Is that a possibility until the conclusion? *off to ponder*

@ Happy- Very interesting. Misunderstandings seem to be the bane of existence/happiness. Keep up the good work.
    Just one more episode in the backstory series. Hopefully I'll get it written today.

And the redemption series can be upbeat along the way, at least for the characters who don't love Mordokai. Team evil and the neutrals can find all the happiness they like.

I'm picturing Nil as someone who once loved Mordokai as a brother, but despairs of saving him. He's ready to lay down the 'smite evil' to stop Mordy's swatch of destruction across the countryside.

But until someone writes it, that isn't canon. I just offer it as a suggestion in case it inspires someone.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

Whaddya know? Not one, but two ideas.
    One Christmasy.
    One Redemption. Should introduce Nil, Korith, and Magtok. Sorry if I get your characters wrong. I'm not horribly good, even less so when it comes to understanding others.

All the same, expect them up later, either today or tomorrow as I get to them in between Christmas.

We wouldn't happen to have a name for the country St. Nil is protecting and Mordokai is invading, would we? I hate coming up with names.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-25 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast