New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp IV: Flattery Will Get You EVERYWHERE

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Yes, it's almost as if there's something there he doesn't want her to know about... Ghost likes to destroy the evidence. Also, I suppose burning down Mordy's house was a bit cathartic after the dream he had the previous night.
    Heh. I suppose fire would suffice for most normal folks for that purpose.
    :whistles innocently:

You know, if I run Baba Gravf at RHL as Mordokai right now that could be an interesting twist. But there's more important fish to gut...
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Cristo- Excellent job! Oh and cliffhanger too... that was just mean. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Banned

Can't help but feel like the masses are still crying out for more of this Player_Zero chap. I hear he's really popular, see.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    I need a burst of inspiration.

Anyone want to volunteer for a shipfic? I need a couple of people.
    I'm in.
    If you want to write me ofcourse.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

5. - Top - End - #635

The Adventures of Cpt. Brolly and Player Zero!

Part II: Look, A Three Headed Monkey!

Spoiler
    Show
    PZ rose from his cot, still covered in rum. "Why did you wake me up? I was having a great dream about numbers!" He yelled at the Catpain. "Yeah, it be soundin' like ye were havin' yerself a kinky dream wit' some boyo named Antoine." Zero was about to respond, but stopped himself. "Uhh... I think we should leave it at that, and concentrate where we're going." Noticing that the ship was no longer moving, he stared at Antony. "Where are we?" "We be landed on an island." "What island?" "Dunno. I saw it, and thought ta meself 'why not?' and here we be!" If Zero wasn't all bone, he'd of turned red in anger. "WHAT?! ALL YOU THOUGHT WAS 'why not?' AND YOU LANDED US IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!?!" "Don't be daft! We're somewhere, jus' don't know where yet." Antony answered before running up to the deck. The screams of anger coming from PZ could be heard from space.

Antony jumped down from the ship, landing squarely on his ass. PZ joined him in landing, but more so by landing on Antony. "Argh! What ye be landin' on me for!?" "Same reason you landed on this island." Antony growled at Zero, but his expression changed quickly when he looked past him. "Look! A three headed monkey!" "What? Where?" Zero turned his head to see, and was then hit on the back of the head by Antony. "Ya eejit! There be no such thing!" "You don't know that!"

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

@ BU- Everything I have to say, Rabbit already said in your sig.
    I was laughing the whole way through. "You don't know that!" Priceless.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-18 at 02:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Banned

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I'm going to have a massive IStLY fic later today; just as soon as I can get time on the computer to get it all typed and formatted. Many secrets finally revealed...

Characters involved/mentioned: CurlyKitGirl, dallas-dakota, Gezina, ghost_warlock, RabbitHoleLost, TwoBitWriter, & Zar Peter...so far.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cristo! I'm so damn happy to see you being so productive with this series. You have no freaking idea!
    Torture will contine until morale improves

Now that things are starting to fall into their final place it's getting easier and easier to write, I just have to make sure I keep updating the ending to actually make sense with everything else that's happening...

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

One Big Squicky Family (IStLY fic)
    dallas-dakota / Gezina / ghost_warlock / TwoBitWriter (CurlyKitGirl, Mordokai, RabbitHoleLost, & Zar Peter mentioned)
    Spoiler
    Show

“Tsar Peter ordered the soothsayer’s quarters emptied after he was imprisoned,” Ina said, “I haven’t had a chance to go through all of his books and papers, yet.”

She looked at him from across her chamber.

“And hopefully you won’t have to. If we can pull this off, I may be able to convince him to narrow our search, point us towards a Book of Eibon or some other manuscript. Perhaps he has one amongst his papers.” Ghost replied.

“You think he knows something.”

“He may. Empress Curly is interested in him. To think he’s served all these years as a spy… I any case, a charlatan he may be, but he’s a clever one if so. His connections and esoterica may be deeper than I’d suspected.”

“So what do you want me to do?”

“Get us inside and into the dungeons. Discreetly, obviously. Don’t let any of this be traced back to you.”

She rolled her eyes. “Of course! Who do you think you’re speaking to?”

“I’m sorry, just erring on the side of caution. I know you’ll be careful, I just worry sometimes about your safety here; we’re so close.”

“Oh, yes! I mean to tell you,” she said, suddenly excited. “Tsar Peter’s condition worsens, but his paranoia has as well. He’s concerned for his life, terrified of assassins. He says there’s talk of war.”

“I didn’t realize the rumors has reached here, yet.” Ghost said, not quite following why this made her so happy.

“A few perhaps, but nothing so much as he assumes. To hear him rant, Curly is amassing an army of fiends thousands strong.”

Ghost laughed. “With her resources, perhaps, but I fear they would be quite poorly trained and lacking discipline, form what I’ve seen of her other troops.”

“Yes, anyway,” Ina said, apparently coming to the point, “Peter’s made a proclamation meant to be read officially tomorrow. He fears for lack of an heir…”

“You mean?”

“Yes!” She exclaimed, “He’s planning on marrying me, and with haste. The ceremony is to be in three days!”

“That’s wonderful news!” He embraced her. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I assumed you already knew, but when you didn’t congratulate me…” she trailed off.

“I’m sorry, again. I’ve been…unavailable for most of the last day. Rabbit caught me going through the paladin’s things and I had to take rather drastic precautions.”

“You didn’t kill her…?”

“No, she’s fine. She stabbed me, though, tried to kill me. And I couldn’t let her find anything at Mordokai’s home.”

“Did he have anything there that might cause issue? Church records, anything else about the exiles?”

“I can’t say for sure. I didn’t find anything much, but she did interrupt my search. I ended up torching the place; myself too.”

“But our secrets are safe?”

“She’ll find nothing there not burned beyond use.”

“Sometimes I wonder if it’d be better just to tell her; who we are, who she is.”

“No, she’s not ready. And she’s still obsessed with that ludicrous paladin. I’ll tell her, in due time.”

“After the ascension?”

“That was my plan, unless you’d like to do so earlier, speak with her in your true form.”

“That phrase has no meaning anymore, I have surpassed such things. I am simply myself, whatever form I take.”

“Just the same, I will always think of you as my little…sibling?”

Ina snickered. “Yes, older brother, blood of my blood and all that.”

He smiled at her. “I wonder what father would think of us, now. Would he be ashamed of what we’ve become, what we’re planning? Or, would he be proud of us? Proud of how close we’ve remained after everything?”

“Father hated Vladimir and I,” she said.

“He just didn’t understand!” Ghost said, gazing into the fire in the hearth. “If he could have only seen how you suffered, how dedicated you were; how dedicated you remain. He couldn’t see how everything Vladimir did was meant to improve life for Rabbit.”

“Of course not! Father was blind, incapable of understanding the love a parent should have for their child; their children!” Her voice dripped with venom.

Ghost sighed sadly. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry he never understood, didn’t seem to care for you.”

“Or Vladimir. Or his granddaughter.”

“No, he did care! Things were different once. He did love you, you just don’t remember because you were so young. Sometimes…sometimes I think something happened to him, someone betwitched him, perhaps.”

“You grasp at straws, overcomplicate things. You see a man enchanted where there is only a man full of hate. There is no conspiracy, Ghost, only stupidity and intolerance and paranoia. One man who couldn’t accept his children for who they were; what they wanted to become.”

“Yes, I suppose you’re probably right,” he relented. “And if someone meant to control him, control the throne, why would they place me upon it? Surely, a paladin would be…”

“Easier to manipulate?” she interrupted, laughing. “Maybe your theory has merit after all! It all makes sense, now! There really is some secret cabal attempting to kidnap the kingdom by controlling who will be the Tsar.”

He frowned and grumbled something inaudible.

She only laughed harder.

“Yes, fine, I suppose I should be going. I am to the meet the Byzantine soon.”

“Oh, don’t go off mad, brother. Who can say why father did what he did? It’s past now, we have to make do with the world he’s left for us. Forgive me my ridicule?”

He sighed, then smiled. “Yes, of course,” he embraced her, kissed her on the forehead.

She returned the embrace and then pulled away. “Okay, get going already. How on earth did you become so sappy amongst our loveless household?”

He laughed. “I suppose I’m just the proverbial black sheep.”

“You!?” she asked, incredulously. “Sir honor and nobility?”

“That’s not who I am anymore,” he considered for a moment. “I suppose, in a way, I’m a shape-shifter like you after all.”

“Of a sort, perhaps,” she said, thoughtfully. “Meet me by the wash entrance, I’ll wait there for you.”

He nodded and teleported outside.

The cold was biting, a sharp wind blowing powdery snow like tiny daggers. Almost automatically, he concentrated briefly and felt his body adapt to the winter weather. Soon, the snow-laden wind felt no harsher than a light summer breeze.

He hurried towards Dallas’ excuse for an encampment, hoping the man hadn’t frozen to death already.

As he approached the spot where he’d met Dallas the previous night, Ghost noted that the man at least had the sense to move his fire closer to the tree line. There, Dallas sat huddled and shivering as close to the small fire as he dared.

Dallas stood and drew a sword as Ghost drew near.

“W-who g-goes t-there?” Dallas asked, his teeth chattering.

“It’s me, Ghost. Let’s get inside before you freeze to death,”

“Y-you found a w-way in-inside?” Dallas asked, surprised. “A s-safe w-way?”

“Of course, I’m a man of great stature. You are lucky to have such friends.”

Dallas frowned as Ghost led him towards the palace, becoming more and more aware of the possibility of betrayal.

As if reading his mind, Ghost spoke. “Again, I remind you, if I meant you harm, there would be much better ways to go about it.”

His fears hardly subdued by this, Dallas continued to follow, if for no other reason than the possibility of getting in out of the cold.

Soon, they came to an innocuous door in the palace walls, easily overlooked. Ghost stepped up to the door and knocked on it once.

The door opened and an armored soldier peeked out, ushered them inside.

“Gods, Ghost, you didn’t tell me it was so cold out there!” Ina said, her voice rough and deep like the guardsman whose form she’d assumed.

“It didn’t seem important,” Ghost replied.

She gave him a stern look, to which he cold only shrug and smile in response.

“Warm yourself but be quick, Byzantine,” she said, “Then I’ll take you down to the soothsayer. Put this cloak on over your armor to disguise yourself.”

Dallas’ eyes widened. “You know who I am; why I’m here?”

“Of course, Ghost and I have…few secrets form each other.” Soldier-Ina said.

“Yes, we’re practically family!” Ghost snickered.

Soldier-Ina ignored him and the humor was lost on Dallas. Ghost didn’t seem to mind being the only one who found this funny, however.

In a few moments, Dallas had rubbed warmth back into his arms and hands and motioned for soldier-Ina to lead the way.

As they passed the first pair of guards without being stopped or questioned, Dallas realized that whoever this solider helping him was, he was respected and in command. However, he couldn’t help but wonder about something else. He tapped Ghost on the shoulder.

“You said you were unpopular with the Tsar, shouldn’t you have a disguise, too?” Dallas asked.

Ghost shook his head. “No need. As long as I take no action against them, these men won’t even remember I was here. Practically a ghost, you see.” He winked.

“Show-off,” soldier-Ina chided.

A pained expression briefly flashed across Ghost’s face before he broke into a broad grin. He poked soldier-Ina gently in the side. “Look who’s talking, Captain.”

She said nothing.

Soon, they came to the dungeons, down in the bowels of the palace.

The guard posted there was sitting in a chair, asleep, when they entered the small antechamber before the cellblock. He snorted awake as the door shut behind them.

“Take us to the soothsayer,” soldier-Ina commanded.

The guard hopped to his feet sleepily and started down the corridor.

“Is this man a priest, Captain?” the guard asked nervously, starting to wake up a bit.

“What?” she asked.

The guard gasped and stuttered. “You weren’t… Oh, sir, I thought you’d been told! I’m sorry, sir! It wasn’t my watch when it happened, I thought you’d…”

“What is the problem, out with it!” soldier-Ina said.

“That necromancer, Rabbit, sir. She…she came in here the other day and killed him, killed the soothsayer! I…I thought you’d been informed; brought a priest to raise him!”

“Blast! Where is the body? Why is it still in the cell?”

“Tsar Peter’s orders, sir. He told us to leave it, that it’d be dealt with later.”

Soldier-Ina scowled. The guard led them the rest of the way to the cell in silence. Once there, he unlocked the door and swung it open. Inside, TwoBitWriter’s body still hung from the manacles. The smell was awful.

“Get him down from there!” soldier-Ina commanded. The guard hurried into the cell. “You, help him.” she said to Dallas.

In retrospect, Dallas wasn’t sure why he’d obeyed, but he quickly found himself helping the guard ease the soothsayer’s corpse to the floor.

Ichor hanging from the body’s eye sockets made it obvious how horribly the man had died.

“Now,” soldier-Ina said to the guard, “return to your post. I’ll deal with you later.”

The man practically ran back down the hall.

Ghost entered the cell and knelt to inspect the body.

“Anything you can do?” soldier-Ina asked.

“He’s past the point of revivification. But there is…another way.” Ghost smiled wickedly up at Ina and closed his eyes in concentration.

“What do you have in mind?” Dallas, standing to Ghost’s side, asked.

Ghost, lost in concentration, didn’t respond.

Long seconds passed in silence.

Dallas turned to soldier-Ina. “What is he doing?”

An open-palmed shrug is all she could offer.

Frowning, Dallas’s hands dropped to his swords.

Then, Ghost’s left hand shot out and grabbed him.

Dallas tried to scream, but couldn’t; tried to run but found himself standing still. He felt himself falling, felt as if he was being crushed from every direction.

A voice in Dallas’ mind; no, a voice on his lips, spoke. “I…live?”

TwoBitWriter, wearing Dallas’ body like it was his own spoke again. “I…I can see! My eyes, you’ve…” He trailed off as he looked down and saw his days’-old corpse on the floor before him.

“What have you done?” he asked, looking down at Ghost. “What… Oh. Oh, my.”

TwoBit tried to run as recognition flashed across his face; but Ghost had a firm grip on him.

Ghost stood, grabbing Dallas/TwoBit with his right hand as well. “Now, listen carefully, soothsayer. I never liked you and now I find myself saving you from the grave. You’re going to make my efforts worthwhile or what Rabbit did to you will seem like a fond memory in comparison.”

“What do you want?”

“We’re going to go upstairs,” Ghost said, “Go to your study, and you’re going to tell me everything about your involvement with Empress Curly as well as show me where you’ve stashed your books, the ones you didn’t want the Tsar’s men to find when they ransacked your study. When I have what I want, I’ll let you return to your Empress. Maybe she has someone who can conjure you a new body before it’s too late for the poor lad I stuck your soul into. Can you feel him, hear him, in the back of your mind? Can you hear him screaming? That’s what he’s doing, isn’t it? And he’ll keep doing it, too, as long as you’re in this body. Do what I say, do it quickly, and you’ll soon be on your way to getting your mind back in order.”

Dallas, a prisoner in his own body, could only curse and scream, unheard by anyone but TwoBit, as the soothsayer slowly nodded.

@Helgraf: I'm totally not trying to steal your schtick here, I promise! I've had Ghost/Ina's background in mind this way since way back; just didn't know how/when I was going to incorporate it all... This just turned out to be just about the perfect opportunity.

Also; OOC: There is no problem the proper application of splatbooks can't solve make worse. >=)
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-12-18 at 03:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

No need to get upset, DD. Its just a story.

I think it was brilliant, GW!

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

@ GW- Another excellent story. Poor, poor Dallas...

Aw. Dallas. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. Characters can't and shouldn't always be accurate replications of oneself. I mean, with exception to Rabbit's Worth It (which was disturbingly accurate ), and perhaps TwoBit's Christmas Carol, I wouldn't act in the ways that's shown of me. Exaggerations for the sake of story is all it is. Please don't feel offended.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-18 at 12:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post

Talk about misportraying.
    I realize my character may not be the biggest or the most main but...

IStLY
    Spoiler
    Show

Well this sucks...I'm not going to be a prisoner in my own mind...I am in control....I am me and my body is mine! I will not loose what I have controlled so long....
    GAIIIISHAR!
    Dallas' body was trembling, falling on its knees.
    What's happening? The bastard should be in full control?
    ''I don't know....It's your magic, you control it!''
    Finally releasing another earpiercing scream, Dallas' body shook once more and then his head rose.
    **** you. **** you all to hell. I'm going back, out of this land of madness, I'l just tell the empress that this is you two's fault, whoever it is and that the soothsayer or whatever he's called is DEAD! I'm going back to the woman that I love, and I don't care what you do...
    With that, he quickly stormed out, going the path he went up.
    A guard questioned him.
    Sir, calm down! What's the matter?
    You tell your tsar that that...bastard of a Ghost is bloody nuts and out of control!
    He quickly stormed back to his shuddy encampment and started riding back on his horse, back to byzantine, back to home, back to Dragonrider.....

Note so self: never put DD in a serious fic in which something bad happens, especially if I put a ton of work into it, as he'll make it all pointless.

So, at this point, GW, you're left with two options; go back and retcon DD out of the story and replace him with someone else, or accept what he's done that's essentially ruined whatever direction you were going in.
    At first, I was thinking we could accept DD's as noncannon and continue on, but if we take his little ship up there as a denial of permission, well.. we can't do that.
    Its at this point that I beg DD to be reasonable. It wasn't an attack on your person, but something to further the story, and I highly doubt it was a permanent effect. I'd really rather like to see the story as it was meant to be; with DD as DD and not replaced by someone else.

Ghost: Absolutely amazing, as usual. Tip of the hat to you

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry all....

Just ignore that fic..it's been a long and bad day for me...

*leaves shipping thread forever*

Stupid me...
    Spoiler
    Show
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Sorry all....

Just ignore that fic..it's been a long and bad day for me...

*leaves shipping thread forever*

Stupid me...
    Dude... I was killed by having my eyes gouged out of my head.

Dirk took a girl from under my nose, making me look ridiculous in the process.

Its all not to be taken too seriously.

Heck, back in Shipping II or III, Curly made me get broken up with by my GAY lover! Totally not me at all. But it was fun.

16. - Top - End - #646

Dude... I was killed by having my eyes gouged out of my head.
    The difference being, you found that to be cool. And then you got to live on by having your soul stuck inside another writer's character, which may be cool for you, but not neccesarily for them. While I may find the fic he used to be somewhat unpolished in its implementation of protest, I can't neccesarily argue with DD's objection as voiced by said fic.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Destro needs more volunteers. He's going to try and write a pair of songfics. One sad, one happy. Thing is, he will be using Country Music, and not everyone likes that. Any takers?
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

As per usual, I volunteer.

And I hope you reconsider Dallas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

I realize that I said it would probably be a couple days before this came out, but I was sitting there at my division Christmas party and everything fell into place in my mind. Yay for sudden bouts of inspiration!

Spring Moon
    Starring - RHL and Ego Slayer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rabbit woke in a haze of security and contentment the next morning. Stretching, she stepped through the doorway into the central portion of Ego’s home. The smell of eggs and bacon assailed her. She glanced around, and discovered an open doorway in a spot that she could have sworn had been a solid wall the night before. A cheerful voice called to her. “Good morning! Would you like some breakfast?

Rabbit hesitated. She was hungry, but… “You promised me you’d teach me how to open the doors here first thing in the morning.

Of course, dear. But I find it easier to focus my energies after I’ve eaten.

Oh, okay then.” Rabbit moved to the doorway, and found Ego inside a small, cozy kitchen, cooking over an old stove.

Ego turned and smiled. “Can’t beat fresh bacon in the mornings.” She licked her lips.

Rabbit was startled. “Fresh meat? You don’t just conjure whatever you want to eat?

Well, I could, but the real thing has a certain something that I’ve never been able to duplicate. Besides, conjured stuff in general may be sufficient to keep you alive, but it’s so bland. What’s the point of living if you don’t enjoy it? Here ya go.” Ego scooped some freshly scrambled eggs and fried bacon onto a plate and handed it to Rabbit, then prepared a second for herself and led the way toward a table.

During breakfast, the odd content feeling grew inside Rabbit. The wariness was bleeding away. This woman, who had been a stranger the day before, now seemed her best friend. She was also very pretty, and Rabbit felt a strange stirring when their eyes met. As they finished their meal, Ego broke into her reverie. She raised her left hand, palm toward Rabbit, fingers splayed. “Touch your fingertips to mine, and close your eyes.” As she did so, Ego’s voice became hypnotic, leading Rabbit into a trance. “Feel the aura. Feel the energy. This is the shape you must create. Mold your own power to match mine.

Rabbit marveled. Her hand is so soft… She shook her head to clear it, and focused on the task of shaping the power that she could feeling flowing through them. Gradually, the nimbus encircling her hand folded itself into the shaped Ego had ordered.

That’s it. That is what you must do to open the doors of this place. Come.” Ego stood and led Rabbit to the doorway to the outside world. “Open it. And remember, you must hold it while I pass through as well.” Rabbit closed her eyes and concentrated, then raised her hand to brush the door with her fingertips. After a moment, it cracked, showing them a glimpse of a brisk winter day, sun shining brightly on a field of snow. Ego stepped through, gesturing Rabbit to follow. “Well done. Now, take us back inside.

Rabbit blushed at the praise and raised her hand to the door once more. The energy formed more quickly this time, and they were back inside where it was warm. “Very good. You learn quickly.

Rabbit felt warmth in her cheeks. She murmured thanks. Ego took her to the bookshelves. “I took the liberty of placing the books you brought here, on this shelf. You may come and go as you please, and you can use this laboratory for your studies. If you need help with anything, don’t hesitate to ask. Oh, and if you desire a bath, it’s over here.” Ego walked across the room and opened a doorway near the rooms where they had slept the night before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time passed, Rabbit staying in Ego’s home while she studied. They spent evenings reading by the fire, occasionally making conversation. Rabbit spoke freely of her past, the parents who had favored her sister before they had died in an accident, leaving them both orphans. The sister who had then left her at a communal home while she took jobs guarding caravans, then returned boasting of the things she had seen. The antagonism between them had always drawn a bitter note to Rabbit’s voice, though she always ended with a wistful, sorrowful “I wish things could have been different between us…

She also spoke of the kind master who had found her and discovered the spark of natural talent with the arcane within her. The man that had given her her first true home since she had been a young child. The other apprentices who had been nice to her. The fury she had felt when she had returned from a field excursion to find them all gone, her home violated.

She was unaware of the hot, bitter tears on her cheeks until she felt Ego’s arm around her shoulders. Rabbit leaned in, letting her old sorrow and fury rush out. Ego pulled her into a warm embrace. As the last of Rabbit’s tears fell, Ego drew back enough to raise a hand to Rabbit’s face, tilting her head up so that they were looking into each other’s eyes, then leaned in and kissed her.

Rabbit was shocked. A part of her had wanted this, but… She abruptly pulled away. “We can’t do this.

Ego looked at her, obviously hurt. “Why not?

Rabbit stared at her for a moment before responding. “Everyone says it’s wrong!

Ego sneered. “[color]The same everyone that drove your parents to love your sister more than you? The same everyone that murdered your master and all of your friends when all he wanted to do was help them? The same everyone that drove you from your home and into the woods and left you to die?[/color]” Ego pushed Rabbit away and stormed into her bedchamber. She threw the door closed so hard that it rebounded and stayed ajar. But she smiled. She will come.

Rabbit stared after Ego, torn. But the other woman was right. Why should she care about anyone else? She felt something for this strange young woman who had helped her when nobody else had cared. Something in her voice made her feel…she didn’t know exactly what it was, but she liked it. And remembering the feel of Ego’s lips against hers sent a thrill through her. She stood and walked slowly to the bedchamber, knocking softly on the door. Ego sat up and looked at her, eyes rimmed with redness. Rabbit sat next to her and leaned into her shoulder, letting her arm encircle Ego’s waist as her lips touched her cheek…

We’ll wrap up this session by saying that that night was very educational for the young Rabbit.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    The difference being, you found that to be cool. And then you got to live on by having your soul stuck inside another writer's character, which may be cool for you, but not neccesarily for them. While I may find the fic he used to be somewhat unpolished in its implementation of protest, I can't neccesarily argue with DD's objection as voiced by said fic.
    Well, at the time I had my eyes gouged out, I had assumed my character to be dead and did not know if there would be anything more done with him. There is no telling what is still in store for DD.

I wasn't trying to say that DD was any less valid in his getting upset. It was more an appeal for him to relax a bit and not take things so personal. He is fully within his rights to withdraw his permission or state his opposition to what is written about him. I am just hoping he doesn't do so.

And Destro, you can write about me anytime!

Edit: @Mangosta: Umm.... nice job... yeah...
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-18 at 04:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Mangosta- Er... wow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Reinholdt. Shoot me. Now!
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt's not here right now. If you'd like to leave a message, you can try, but he probably won't understand what you're saying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    @ Mangosta- Er... wow.
    This about sums up my opinion. Very well written, and slightly creepy given what we know of Ego thus far. I can't help but wonder how this is going to end.

Also, random inspiration go! Some of it just struck. This isn't those songfics, cause I still need to think about those a bit, but it's something. Ok, so I like writing Wizard's Duels. Didn't know who to put in opposite me, though.

Duel
    Destro/???
    Spoiler
    Show
    The study was a mess. More than usual. Two combatants circled each other, the air between them charged with magic. One was a lich, impossibly old for a human. The other was younger, and would have been pretty if her face wasn't twisted in concentration, working to throw off his last spell. His apprentice. His former apprentice, now.

Lightning crackled around his hands, and he launched the bolt at her. She got her guard up just in time, and it skittered away, landing amongst a stack of papers and bursting into flame. You didn't have to look. I warned you, didn't I?

You did. I ignored you. You were holding me back, afraid of the power you could wield. Of the power I could wield. Not I. A bookshelf flew across the room, guided by her hand, and he only just managed to get out of the way. I embraced that power, and it has made me strong.

I had my reasons, Destro countered. I knew what it would do to you. Can't you see what you've become? Energy burst from the floor beneath her, bathing the room in sickly green light.

I know what I've become. It's you that's unable to handle the truth. The energy warped, twisted, and was force outwards as she stepped back, firing a blast of her own through it and flinging her former master into a wall.

You think you're stronger than me, the lich said. He had been afraid of that. He forced himself back to his feet. Maybe you are, but you've learned no control. He caught the follow-up attack with both hands, spinning around and launching it back, twice as strong as before. It was her turn to smash into the wall. Where did I go wrong? I tried to teach you.

And I learned. I learned more than you know. She raised a hand, sending twin spirals of blue fire towards him. He met them in the middle with a stream of red flame, forcing them back towards her.

I know what you learned. I read those books long ago. I know what's in them. And I know what waits at the end of my road. Why do you think I never used them? He poured more energy into the flames.

Because you're weak! She practically screamed it. Then her other hand came up and his world exploded as three spells crashed down on him at once. She had so much power. If only he had better impressed upon her the meaning of that.

No, he said, shielding himself from the world in a shell of black energy until the flames died down. It's because I knew what would happen. I had to hide them, keep them safe. Safe from people like you! his eyes flashed, and she had to fight to remain conscious in the face of this new attack.

People like me? You created me! All these years I've known nothing but you. If I am anything, you have only yourself to blame. It was a bluff, and she knew it. She had always been angry. Always wanted more. Even before she had met Destro, there had always been the drive to be the best. But he didn't call it.

I know. He said. I had hoped to help you. Curb your desire for power, teach you about the responsibility of using what you have. I have failed. Even as he said it, she saw what he had meant. He always wanted what was best for her, and she had betrayed him for it.

Because of what I have seen and done, I am already damned. There was hope for you. There was always hope for you. But not anymore. Destro made a fist, taking a step forward and swinging, his strength augmented by magic, fear, and regret. She flew backwards, crashing into a jumble of books and debris. The lich sagged, sinking into a chair and looking at the pile. He had failed. Not had failed not only himself, but the only person he had ever truly cared for.

After a while he walked over, looked down. At her. At the jagged piece of wood just visible poking out of her stomach. A sad smile crossed his face, and he knelt, taking her hand in his. I am sorry, he said. I never wanted things to end this way.

She looked back up, and for the briefest of moments their eyes met, and she knew then that he had loved her. As a daughter. As a friend. I know.

Not as happy as I could be with the end, but I already re-wrote it three times. It'll have to do.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Destro- Another good one. Rather sad though...
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #656

Note so self: never put DD in a serious fic in which something bad happens, especially if I put a ton of work into it, as he'll make it all pointless.

So, at this point, GW, you're left with two options; go back and retcon DD out of the story and replace him with someone else, or accept what he's done that's essentially ruined whatever direction you were going in.
    Or, Ghost can live without whatever extra secrets TwoBit had in his tower, just like everyone else hasn't had the benefit of perfect circumstance to live with. The story isn't _all made pointless_. It just means the characters have to work harder.

EDIT: Hell, I planned on making things more difficult in my next installment of this fic anyway.
    Last edited by Helgraf; 2008-12-18 at 08:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    This about sums up my opinion. Very well written, and slightly creepy given what we know of Ego thus far. I can't help but wonder how this is going to end.
    I have an idea for a possible ending already. Actually, it's the ending I foresaw when I started working on the second installment. But things don't always turn out the way we think they will. Also, very nice magical combat there.

The reactions thus far are pretty much exactly what I was going for. Just waiting for the two ladies to come in with their seals of approval.
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2008-12-18 at 09:01 PM.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

A Battle Begins

starring Lex-kat, Nil, Wolfbane, Mordokai, Recaiden
    Spoiler
    Show

Lex-kat burst into the room where Happy and RHL were being held. Only to see the cells empty. They had been moved.

Recaiden looked up from his chair. Oh. You finally came have you. I thought you would come here, so I decided to wait for you. He frowns as the group of four enters.

My my. It's like a family reunion. The dishonored captain, the escaped prisoners, and the dead coming back to life. He said.

I don't know how you managed to escape Nil, but rest assured, you only allow Magtok the privlege of killing you again. Now then. he said, standing up and stretching. I'm afraid I cannot let you go any farther.

Wolfbane stepped forward, away from the group.

I'll fight him.

Recaiden stared at Wolfbane for a moment before nodding. Very well. I accept your challenge. A one on one duel.

Magtok can be found in Happy's room Nil.

Nil stared at a moment before heading out. Come on. he said to the group. Mordokai stared at him, while worry flashed in Lex's eyes.

Wolfbane can handle himself. Nil said, as he he headed towards Happy's room. Reluctantly, the two followed.

Where are RHL and Happy? Wolfbane asked.

Defeat me, and I just might tell you.

Wolfbaned snarled and withdrew his longsword, while Recaiden drew his shortsword. They stared at each other for a moment before jumping into battle.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-12-18 at 10:18 PM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

@ deathslayer7- Argh! Cliffhanger on top of previous Cliffhanger?! That's just a form of clever torture.
    *waits impatiently for next ship*
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    @ deathslayer7- Argh! Cliffhanger on top of previous Cliffhanger?! That's just a form of clever torture.
    *waits impatiently for next ship*
    don't you just love it.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.