New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp IV: Flattery Will Get You EVERYWHERE

Nah. One thing authors need to keep going is constant comments. At least that's what some author around here told me. Don't remember which.

Great job Helgraf!
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-27 at 03:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    I wonder if I should even bother commenting anymore, or if it should just be understood that I adore Helgraf's contributions to the thread...
    Comment, comment please. Cherishing is good, discernment is better. Even the best efforts may falter. It may be that I understand (*taps head*) up here that I write well. But (*taps head again*) I too readily come to doubt myself, especially when a story falls on silence. I expect I am not alone in this.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    Comment, comment please. Cherishing is good, discernment is better. Even the best efforts may falter. It may be that I understand (*taps head*) up here that I write well. But (*taps head again*) I too readily come to doubt myself, especially when a story falls on silence. I expect I am not alone in this.
    Aye. I know I can write well enough, though I can't always be sure how I've done. No author is the best judge of their own work, as far as I'm concerned, so any comments are indeed welcome. If nothing is said, then I can't be sure what anyone thought.

On that note, I liked it, Helgraf. It's interesting, having a character be mad. Not sure I could do it, though I seem to be able to pull off eccentric. Good job.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #934

A letter to the man inside the box

Spoiler
    Show

Six times up and seven times down
    blistering grains form the ground
    Across the blasted desert sand
    Where I pursue a fallen man

Up the slope of spiteful sand
    that seeks to snare my feet
    to throw me down its one resolve
    and wrap me in its sheet

Astride a wretched summit
    echoed to the far horizon
    in the rolling symmetry
    of quenchless static ocean

My pursuit reflects the sun
    as it must rise, so must I rise
    as it must fall, so must I fall
    Invariant to my task

As the sun, so the sand
    through wind and heat
    through time and toil
    forged these hills of trial

And as the sand, so I
    against inexorable forces
    against indefiable will
    am shaped by my opposition

I am shackled by a fallen man
    whose form I have followed
    whose path I have pursued
    whose crime I have committed

In a moment's wavering
    from dedication and purpose
    my rise became my fall
    my journey, my exile

Countless times up, interminable times down
    A guilt-wracked soul run to ground
    seeking hopeless resolution
    risen ... fallen ... absolution?

5. - Top - End - #935

A Letter left on the nightstand

Spoiler
    Show

Paralyzed by the sunshine of your radiance
    A hand clasped gently to your cheek
    as your lips form silent Os.

Rapture awakening things long dormant
    My world spun to the tune of life
    Player, instrument and audience.

Left spent but energized
    Unconscious but aware
    In tune with the thrumming of our union.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Midnight

starring Nil, Magtok, Lex-kat, Helgraf, Wolfbane, and Recaiden
    Spoiler
    Show

Nil used his strength and pushed Magtok back, breaking contact with him. He clutched his stomach. A red stain had appeared there. His wound had reopened.

Magtok smiled. You might have beaten me if you were in top shape Nil. But you're still hurt. You can't beat me with a wound like that.

Nil panted heavly. Don't worry MAgtok... this is more then enough... to beat you.

Magtok laughed out loud. You do amuse me Nil. Never giving up, even when all you can do is give up. I'll make sure to write that on your tombstone. he said, smiling at Nil.

Nil smiled back. And what do you want on yours Magtok? he asked. I almost ruled the world, but got thwarted by a paladin?

Magtok's face lost its smile. You talk big. Let's see if you can back it up! With that, both men charged each other again, and both expertly blocked each other.

Nil's hand buckled a bit. He was losing his strength. He broke contact again.

What's wrong Nil? Feeling under the weather are we?

I'm feeling just fine Magtok. But I would be more worried about you.

Me? Magotok asked, an incredulous look went across his face, and changed to shock as Nil's blade slashed at him.

Magtok touched his cheek. Hi hand came away red. He looked at Nil. That's a dirty trick paladin. Attacking your opponent when he is talking. I didn't expect that from you. I guess I did teach you something after all. Maybe you're not completely lost after all.

Nil smirked. Wasn't it you who told me never to let your guard down?

Indeed. Both men circled each other, neither wanting to make the first attack. They continued circling in sillence. Finally, Nil made the first move. Magtok blocked the attack with his sword, and countered at Nil. He swiftly rolled out of the way at the oncoming blade.

Magtok didn't let up. He took an aggressive stance, pushing Nil to his limit, and possibly even breaking him at points. Nil was pushed back to the wall. He couldn't manuever very well. Magtok's sword kept coming at him, and he could barely defend himself. Seeing an opening as Magtok raised his sword, Nil punched out.

Magtok stumbled back, blood leaking from his lip. Another dirty little trick paladin, using you fists and not your sword. Fight like a man!

I would say the same to you Magtok, but seeing as you are attacking an injured opponent, I cannot.

Magtok's face boiled with heat, as his cheeks went red. He resumed the offensive, but this time, Nil was able to counter him. Both men went back and forth across the room, neither one able to break the other.

Nil was the first one to stumble. Magtok seized the chance and pounced, ready for the kill. Nil kicked him away, and avoided the killing blow, but Magtok managed to land a blow on his torso, drawing blood.

The red stain started to grow larger, as Nil clutched it. Pain was starting to build up.

Magtok raised his sword, as did Nil, and once again, both men were locked in a dead match.

Your muscles are spazzing Nil. How much longer do you think you can keep this up?

Long enough to defeat you! Nil shouted. He broke contact, but Magtok was expecting it this time. His foot came from the floor, and squarely hit Nil in the stomach. Pain shot up his body as he let out a scream.

He dropped to the floor.

Magtok stood over him. Nil. Nil. Nil. You never learn when to give up. He kicked him in the side, as he started to get up.

Look at you, lying there on the floor, groveling like a helpless man. It really doesn't suit your image. He kicked him in the side again.

As much as I'm enjoying this Nil. I'm afraid I must put an end to this. HE kicked Nil once more, sending more pain to his body. Nil was clutching his stomach, as Magtok rolled him over.

He put his hand on Nil's face. Shhhhh. Soon it will all be over. Then he grabbed his collar, and dragged Nil to his feet. He headed towards the balcony.

Do you want to know how your little friend died Nil? It was rather amusing. I kicked him off the roof. Poor little Cristo never stood a chance. Such a shame he evasdropped on our conversation. He was a funny man. I sort of liked him.

But I think friends should go in style, don't you Nil? He pulled Nil back up as he started to slump back to the ground. But for you, I think I'll make an exception. I remember you already died once by being stabbed. Shall we remedy that?

Come on Nil! Stay with me! He opened the door, and dragged Nil out, pushing him against the railing. Nil caught onto it with his hands, which supported him.

Well Nil. It was nice knowing you! With that, Magtok stabbed Nil once more through the stomach. Nil gurgled and clutched Magtok.

Brings back memories doesn't it? Magtok asked, smiling to himself.

Yes... it does. Nil managed, he headbutted Magtok stunning him for a moment. He then gabbed him around the waist, and jumped backwards, letting gravity do the work.

He smiled slightly as he fell through the air. He couldn't remember ever hitting the ground.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lex-kat struggled beneath Helgraf's hand. He was holding her, and her breath wasn't going to hold out much longer. An idea came to her head. She started to convulse. She went on with her convulsing for about 15 seconds before remaining still. She had lost her breath, but she hoped Helgraf would let go. She waited, but still he held on. What was the man waiting for!?

There! he lifted his hands. She was free. Although she would be trapped again if she came out too early and he was still by the bathtub. She would then lose her only chance, as he would make sure to drown her for sure.

She waited for a few moments longer, holding her breath, even though she had none. Her lungs screamed for air, but still she held out. Now!

She lifted her head out of the water, sucking in air. Helgraf looked around at the noise, and looked back at the tub to see Lex-kat move again.

Damn b***h! Why won't you just die! he yelled at her. He turned around and started advancing toward her. Lex climbed out of the tub, and grabbed sai on the floor. She turned around just in time to meet Helgraf.

Shock registered on his face as his body plunged itself onto the spike. He had tried to shift his momentum, but it had done no good. He gurgled and fell to the floor on top of Lex-kat. She pushed his body off of her, just barely managing as blood drained onto the bathroom floor. She looked at the dead body and started to cry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wolfbane stared up at Recaiden, who had a frown on his face. You shouldn't be able to move. he said, quite confused. His sword sticking through Wolfbane's lung.

I'm a monster aren't I? Wolfbane asked, smilingly grimly at Recaiden. He rose from his knees, and took a step forward. His right leg collapsed, but he moved forward. anyway. He coughed up some blood.

Recaiden let go off the sword and backed off. It doesn't matter, within minutes, you'll be dead. he said calmly.

Wolfbane used his left arm and withdrew the sword protruding out of him. Recaiden paled.

Wolfbane still said nothing. He position the sword in his left and moved in for the kill. The prey. The weakling. He smelled the fear, he could feel it radiating from the man. Lots of it. He was afraid. Wolfbane advanced and started to gain speed.

Recaiden pulled out his whip, and his Wolfbane squarely in the face. He barely felt it. He used his momentum and jumped at Recaiden, who screamed in terror.

He collapsed onto the floor moments later, the adrenaline leaving him. A broken and mangaled body lay next to him. Wolfbane closed his eyes and went to sleep.

enjoy.
    *hides from Reinholdt*
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-12-29 at 03:09 PM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Firbolg in the Playground

Helgraf: I don't really get what those two are saying, but they say it beautifully, whatever it is.

ds7: Way to mess with all our expectations in those 3 fights.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Updated IStLY Cast
    (listed in current order of appearance)
    Spoiler
    Show

• RabbitHoleLost (aka Rabbit): A necromancer of noble birth, Rabbit's love for, and eventual attempted murder of, the paladin of Sune, Mordokai, may have set in motion a chain of events that threatens the foundations of the world.
    • Ego Slayer: Rabbit's former mentor; it was Ego's careful hands that eventually led Rabbit to discovering her necromantic talents.
    • ghost_warlock (aka Simeon/the Ghost Warlock): Rabbit's uncle and the former Tsar of Bulgaria, Simeon renounced his oaths as a paladin after the death of his wife and Peter (his son) tried to poison him. Ghost claims to have one objective: aid his little sister Ina in fulfilling her greatest wish.
    • Happyturtle: Rabbit's foster sister, Turtle, ran afoul Ghost while he was seeking an artifact of power. Her shared love for the paladin, Mordokai, has been a constant source of strife for the sisters. But the love of the Byzantine soldier Reinholdt may break these unhealthy ties.
    • Mordokai: A great Champion of Sune, Mordokai is the knight in shining armor nearly every girl dreams will one day carry her into the sunset. As such, life has been arduous for this noble man.
    • Zar Peter (as Tsar Peter): The current Tsar of Bulgaria seized the throne by (attempting to) murder his father with poison given to him by Rabbit. Currently driven mad by a poison of a different sort, Peter plans to marry his favorite servant girl, Ina.
    • Gezina (aka Ina): Ghost's sister and Rabbit's aunt, Ina was persecuted and almost killed as a young girl by people afraid of her shapeshifting powers. Now, an adult, she is posing as a servant girl to get close to seizing the throne of Bulgaria as part of a plot to ascend to god-hood.
    • Cobar_Ikari (aka Cobra Ikari): Though he wears many disguises, this possibly-mad-prophet is seldom mistaken for who he really is. His perpetually good spirits may be all that's keeping him from being murdered as he strives to prevent the world from befalling a horrible tragedy he has forseen.
    • Helgraf (aka Baba Gravf): Deep within the bowels of Tsar Peter's palace, an insidious witch resides. Her ultimate goals unknown, she conspires with Empress Curly of Byzantium and dons fleshy disguises to pose as others as she goes about her dark agenda.
    • Dirk Kris (aka Brandelle): Seemingly plucked literally from a dream, Brandelle and Mordokai seem trapped by their powerful love for one another. But what twisted secrets live behind this supposedly innocent girl's gray eyes?
    • TwoBitWriter: The dodgy double-dealings of this soothsayer to the throne of Bulgaria, and possible spy for Empress Curly of Byzantium, resulted in his death at the hands of none other than Rabbit herself. Returned from the dead in the body of another man, will TwoBit successfully return to his master or will he die of exposure in the cruel Bulgarian winter?
    • CurlyKitGirl (aka Curly): The Empress of Byzantium controls many things and influences almost all others. A member of a secret sect of witches, 'Baba' Curly seeks to consolodate the power behind the thrones of both Byzantium and Bulgaria and sees many of her minions as little more than pawns to be sacrificed.
    • dallas-dakota (aka Dallas Dakota): Known also as 'the Huntsman,' Empress Curly's chief assassin, Dallas had only recently confessed his love to his sweetheart, Dragonrider, before being sent on a possible suicide-mission deep into Bulgarian lands. Now a prisoner in his own body, Dallas can only watch as the soothsayer uses his body to unknown ends.
    • Dragonrider: A beautiful and skilled general in Empress Curly's army, Dragonrider has been separated from her newfound love, Dallas, and recently suffered a cruel beating and branding at the hands of the Ghost Warlock, who sent her back to Constantinople with a message for Empress Curly.
    • Mangosta71 (aka Mangosta): Little is known about this assassin with a dark past other than his recent coming-out-of-retirement and his love for his wife, Thes Hunter.
    • Thes Hunter: Known only as Mangosta's wife, Thes' role remains uncertain.
    • Reinholdt: The only Byzantine soldier to survive the Ghost Warlock's assault on the keep in Edirne, Reinholdt is practical and level-headed in all matters - except perhaps for his attraction to Rabbit's sister Happyturtle. Still, Reinholdt's straightforward approach to matters of the heart is charming and endearing.
    • Rubakhin: Hiding from an unknown past in near-constant drunkenness, the Bulgarian soldier Rubakhin awoke from a long stupor to find himself a prisoner of the Byzantines.

Initial Cast List by Helgraf
    Additional List 1 by ghost_warlock
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2009-09-20 at 03:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

:: pops in to show her pretty new avatar by KidKris::

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Helgraf- Two more good ones. I always find your stuff hard to follow at times. That's mostly because I've always been horrible at thinking abstractly. Just me really.

@ deathslayer- Heh. Saw the Wolfbane one coming. Wasn't sure what was going to happen with Lex. Didn't see Nil and Magtok going the mutually assured destruction route though. Good job deathslayer.
    *finds because Reinholdt is the expert hider*
    *remembers he's some crazy kill me psychopath*
    *requests death *
    I still want to see how that affected Draco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #941

DS7-Loved it. There seems to be no better way to die than to go out taking down your enemy wit you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey all, greetings from Indiana!!

Had a fun, 16 hour drive from Oklahoma to New Castle.

I will try to get some ship-reading done, but thought I would say hello!

Rabbit, love the new avatar! I am now going to search for the redemption fics...

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

Psst... Twobit... before you start searching...

*points to sig* v
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Psst... Twobit... before you start searching...

*points to sig* v

Thank you, HT. Still got some of that mistletoe left?

@Reinholdt: About the Christmas fic, very well done. I think you got everyone pretty good.

@Raistlin: The fic was beautiful, it was very fun to read. Dirk is gonna love it when he gets back!

15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground

This mistletoe?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    This mistletoe?

That would be the one.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Troll in the Playground

Have I told you how much I love these stories.

They are great. You are a great writer, DS7. Much love.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ettin in the Playground

*unlurks*

Sins of the Past

Mordokai/happyturtle

Part of Redemption series.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rain was falling. Was there a symbolism in there?

Seeing Turtle once again, so unexpectedly wasn't working well on him. Why couldn't she leave him alone? Why couldn't she be happy for him? She was once like he was now, one would expect her of all people to understand. And yet, from the looks of it...

He turned on the heel and went back into the tent. She was still there, the way he left her, her face soggy from tears.

“Get up. Get up and wipe your face.“

He gave her a few moments to compose herself and wipe the remains of the tears from her face. When she picked herself up, he said to her:

“Very well barbarian... what do you want? And don't say you want to save my soul. There is nothing to be saved. I'm at peace with myself. But I won't believe you are here just for me. So what is it that you really want?“

She opened her mouth, but before she could speak, a guard ran into the tent, breathless and said to blackguard:

“My Lord! The scouts have captured one of Nil's soldiers. They have him in one of the tents. We thought you may want to talk to him, question him.“

It was obvious that guard was a little nervous, what with the Turtle's presence and disrupting what looked like important conversation. But for once, the blackguard had no wish, will or time to punish this insignificant guard. He only nodded to him and waved him away. As he removed himself from the tent, the blackguard gestured at the tent entrance.

“Come with me.“

Surprise registered on her face, but she followed him nonetheless. It didn't take them long to come to designated tent and when they entered into it, they found three more people in there. Two guards and a near naked prisoner, bound to the central pole of the tent. Despite his predicament, he was looking bold and defiant and gave the former paladin a look of hate. He would probably gave him something more, were it not for the gag. Mordokai looked at his two guards.

“Leave us alone.“

They bowed and left the tent. When the three were alone, the blackguard strode up to the prisoner and tore the gag away. As soon as that was done, the man was quick to give the piece of his mind.

“Mordokai the Fallen, let your name forever be cursed! I spat on you and hope the gods themselves find it worthy to punish you with their divine might! May you forever...“

He didn't get any further. He couldn't. Not when gauntleted fist struck him across the mouth. In the back, Turtle's gasp could be heard, but the blackguard pretended he didn't heard it. He gave the man a few moments to spat the blood and few teeth out and when he gathered his wits enough to look at him again, he was silent. The hateful look was still there, but he was smart enough to know when to be quiet. Obviously, Mordokai was content enough with this.

“We'll let the gods decide for themselves. What is here is here and I live for present. The past is dead and I can't influence the future. Well, not much. I can see and influence your future, however. I can tell you right now that if you don't divulge what you know about Nil's forces and defenses... well, lets just say there won't be much future to had for you.“

There was no emotion in those words. No mocking, no humor, not even hate. Just cold fact. And from the looks of it, the prisoner was well aware of that. Despite that, the only answer Mordokai got from him was a spit in the face. Wiping the saliva away, the blackguard looked at the prisoner once again.

“Bad move.“

Pulling a silver dagger from his belt, he stepped closer to the prisoner.

“I would have simply killed you. But I can't let this stand, can I now?“

And now, the cruel smile finally adorned his face. A smile that grew wider, as the prisoner showed first signs of fear. Picking a place on prisoner's hand, he put the tip of the dagger there and gave it one swift pull. The wound wasn't deep and hardly bled at all. The surprise in man's eyes was evident.

“It's a start. There are many places where one can cut, but not kill. And we have lot of time...“

“Stop it Mordokai! You're going too far!“

“And you shall watch it! Every single cut!“

“No, I won't! I refuse!“

“I remember what you used to be. A sadist. A torturer. Have you forgotten? Or do you pretend that it never happened? Do you never awaken with the screams of your victims in your ears?"

"I've never forgotten. I try to atone for it every day."

"Then think of it as penance, Barbarian. A glimpse into the past. Watch and tell me afterwards whether you could ever have truly been forgiven for what you did."

He saw her eyes widen. He saw what those words did to her. He saw the tears start flowing again. And he knew what this means. And yet, he waited. He waited for that small nod from her, the sign that she submitted to the ordeal. After that, he set to work.

After a few hours, the prisoner was but a shell of a man he once was. He was bleeding from a thousand wounds and yet, was still breathing. Slowly and shallowly, but breathing. And yet, he was far from dying. Giving him a killing blow right now would be merciful, by any standard. It was then that the blackguard turned towards Turtle once again. She was just standing there, eyes red from crying, but there were no tears. She had none to shed anymore. She was looking the man who once saved her, who has now became a monster. She looked him directly in the eyes, not sure what to say. And yet, her eyes told him everything. He threw the dagger to the ground and stepped to her, whispering in her ear.

“The man you knew is dead. You can't help him anymore. You can't do anything for him. Move on, barbarian. Move on, if you know what is good for you.“

Raising his head, he stepped out of the tent and Turtle could hear him as he spoke to one of the guards.

“Watch her. I want her to see the prisoner die. She is not allowed to help him and she is not allowed to turn her eyes away. After he is dead... she is free to do whatever she wants. If she wants to leave, nobody is to stop her or hurt her. As long as she hurts none of our soldiers, she is not to be hurt as well.“

She could hear him walk away. She slumped to the ground, burying her face in her hands, still unable to cry. When the strong arms of guard pulled her up, it was almost like she was dreaming. It was a dream from which she wasn't sure how to wake.

Thanks to happy for providing help with a certain part of the story I had problems with and helping me with a title. Hope you enjoy this one.

*relurks*
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    *unlurks*

Sins of the Past

Mordokai/happyturtle

Part of Redemption series.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Thanks to happy for providing help with a certain part of the story I had problems with and helping me with a title. Hope you enjoy this one.

*relurks*

Mordy: I told you already, but I think this is a great addition to the series.

And to the rest of the thread: Mordy thinks he can't write, so give him lots of comments to beat him about the head with the truth, kay?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

*pops in*

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    :: pops in to show her pretty new avatar by KidKris::
    Raaabbittt... I love the avatar! :O

And Mordokai's tooo...

Eeeee...

*runs out*

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Mordy thinks he can't write? I beg to differ. That was very good, Mordokai. Destro approves.

I might add some more to the redemption series later. Right now though, I got no ideas for it, so here is a ship for Rabbit.

I Will Be There
    Raist/Rabbit
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raistlin drew back his arm and tossed a wad of paper across the room. He shoots... the paper bounced off the rim of the trash can and landed neatly inside. He scores.

It had been all day, and he still didn't have anything written. Nothing seemed to work, and it had to work. He wanted it to be perfect. So far though, everything had had something wrong with it.

Alright, time for another try. He was even talking to himself now. He hit a few keys on the typewriter, and the old machine clacked as it punched out a couple lines. The beginnings of a poem, or a song. But it still wasn't good enough. Raistlin sighed and pulled the piece of paper out of the typewriter, scrunching it up and sending it sailing across the room to join its predecessor.

I hate writer's block. He had promised himself he would get this done today, but it was going nowhere fast. May as well take a break...

Rain pattered off his hood as he walked down the street, heading for the local coffee shop. The only one that had yet to be driven out by Starbucks. The coffee wasn't great, but he'd been going there forever and it was a good place to think.

Hi Mike. Raistlin pushed open the door of the coffee shop and went up to the counter.

Raistlin! What can I do for ya? The usual? Mike was a big guy, always smiling, and always happy to dispense advice. Here. He plunked a paper cup of coffee on the counter and went to grab one of the pieces of coffee cake.

Thanks. Raistlin took the coffee and fished in his pocket for spare change.

Don't worry about that. Mike returned with the cake and punched the till, registering the sale. It's on me today. You look like you need it. Now, what's on your mind?

Writing. Raistlin took a bite of cake, and then continued. I'm trying to get something done, but I can't seem to get it right.

Yeah? Usually you're pretty good at that.

I know, but this time it's different. It has to be.. special.

For a girl then? Mike grinned. I can always tell. You'll do fine, you just have to quit worrying about getting it right so much. He held up a hand to forestall any protest. If you quite worrying and just write something, it'll be right. You're good at what you do, my friend.

I may as well try it. Nothing else has worked.

Trust me. Now go on, get home and get started! Still grinning, Mike practically pushed Raistlin out the door.

[hr]

Later on, Raistlin sat on the bed in his small apartment, strumming a guitar and waiting. He had finally finished his writing, and while he still thought he could do better, he had decided to leave it as it was. It was the most he had managed to get done yet, and if he tried again he might not have been able to write even that much.

Someone knocked on the door, and he looked over. Come in, it's not locked.

The door opened, and Rabbit stepped inside. Hi. You wanted me to come over?

Yeah. I.. uh.. I wrote a new song. Wanted you to be the first to hear it. Sit down. He gestured to a nearby chair, which Rabbit took. He smiled at her, strummed the guitar again, and started to play.

Sometimes there are things
    that have to pass on by
    and sometimes they can last,
    and stay for just a while
    I know that you might have to go
    but I really hope you stay
    I'll be right there beside you,
    as we greet the next new day

There's nothing that could make me leave
    if I had you there with me
    Nothing that can drive me on
    I'd just stay here and let it be
    If you have to go I'll follow
    if you need someone I'll stay
    I'll always be beside you,
    for ever, and a day

Hope,it springs eternal
    for love that sticks around
    I know that we could make this work
    Even if we just stay friends
    I'll be there to pick you up
    To help you if you fall
    A life I lived without you
    is a life not lived at all

So come with me, we'll be together
    cause I love you, and I care
    And know that as you go through life,
    I always will be there.

He finished playing and put down the guitar, almost afraid to look up. What had she thought of it?

Raistlin?

He forced himself to look. She was smiling, and.. crying? Did.. did you like it? I wrote it for you...

Oh, Raist.. Still smiling, she flung herself into his arms, hugging him tightly. It was perfect.

Hope I did that justice. I have no idea what the tune to that song would be like, so thank the Twelve gods that this is a visual medium. What do you guys think?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

Destro, it's fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Destro, it's fantastic
    Seconded. Best thing to come home to ever.
    You did wonderfully...

Mordokai: Fantastic. Well worth the wait.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

My first songfic. And a redemption fic as well, taking place directly after Sins of the Past.

I couldn't find a better youtube link. The studio version works better because, well, the screaming concert goers kind of kill the mood. Hopefully it still works. But if you have the Melissa Etheridge album Breakdown, listen to that instead.

I made my own video.

Into the Dark (redemption fic)
    Mordokai/Happyturtle

Spoiler
    Show

There were stairs they were steep
    I was falling falling deep
    You were there you were small
    There was screaming down the hall

He was no stranger to pain and death. It was part of the soldier's life. But though he'd not always been able to give his enemies a clean death, he'd never sought to prolong their suffering like he had today.

There was a power in that. As a paladin of Sune, he'd learned how to play a woman's body like an instrument for purposes of pleasure. Today, the screams he'd elicited had been screams of agony, but the feeling of control was the same. Just as sweet. Just as intoxicating.

I've been here sleeping all these years.

She stumbled through the camp, her mind still seeing the man Mordokai had tortured to death. She'd recognized the sadistic gleam in his eyes. She remembered how it felt to own someone's pain.

The worst had been the recurring thought: Amateur... you're moving too quickly. You aren't letting the dread build. Too deep... you severed the nerve. He isn't feeling any more pain from that arm.

She'd thought she'd left that part of her behind.

There comes a time we all know
    There's a place that we must go
    Into the soul into the heart
    Into the dark

He refused to feel doubts. Goodness, mercy, redemption--these had weakened him. Had weakened his land. Had emboldened his enemies. It had been irresponsible of him to expect a goddess of love to protect his realm. He was no longer good, but he knew he was right.

There was fire there was death
    There was lying on your breath
    I turned away I would pretend
    But the burning never ends

Why had she ever thought she could save him? Why did she think she could succeed where Flora had failed? There was a bond between the barbarian and the blackguard, but she knew it was not love. It was something far more primal, born of lust and blood and the heat of battle.

I've been here sleeping all these years

He stood over the battle table in the command tent, his servants moving figures as he gained intelligence from scouts and scries. Nil's lands first, because of the iron. Once he had control of the mines, he could get them working more efficiently, using methods that Nil was too weak to stomach. Then once he had the iron he needed, he could move to unite the lands and impose the peace that had been so elusive to the paladin of Sune.

Into the dark

No one stopped her when she went to the supply wagon and fitted herself up for battle. Leather armor, two short swords, an assortment of daggers. One wrist remained manacled, a few feet of chain dangling. Just another weapon after all.

She told herself that she wouldn't fight in his war. That she wouldn't follow him into the darkness.

But it felt good to have a sword at her side anyway.

There was a wave over the house
    There was fear choked in my mouth
    You were there you left your mark
    As I stumbled in the dark

There was no reason to be gentle. No reason to slowly seduce the woman beneath him. Why had he ever thought it important? She wanted him for the power he held, and he wanted her for his own pleasure. There was an honesty in their relationship, stripped down to a base exchange of value.

He rolled off of the concubine at last, turning away, trying not to hear her catching her breath, her soft whimpers. So much like hers. No matter what woman he took to his bed, he couldn't escape the memory of her dark eyes, her warm arms.

Into the dark

"Flora..."
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-12-28 at 01:23 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, that's good, Happy. Now I want to see what happens next.

I know Mordokai can be saved, but from here it's not looking so good. Gonna be a long road...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

Very good HT. I feel so damn lucky I can at least read the ships being posted during my vacation.

First of all, I hope everyone is doing well. I think this break from work and writing was exactly the refresher that I have needed for a while.

Now for the rest of the bit...

@Mordy: Do Cristo and I seriously have to tell you the stuff we have constantly been telling one another for a few months now? You are an awesome writer, and you have a real fan in me. I would like to see more whenever possible.

@Destro: Very nice fic. I love the part where you had Rai throwing rejected ideas into the wastebasket, because I have been in that situation several times over. It was very sweet, it reminds me of when I used to write poems for my significant others... Hmm... I think my wife would appreciate another one sometime soon...

@Happyturtle: I don't think I really need to say anything about what you have posted, really. We have already discussed it, but I thought I would at least mention again how in love I am with your prose.

Alright folks. I know I had been *****ing about not being able to really think of new ideas. Well, this vacation had recharged me a bit. I have another chapter of MAT Squad (8000 words!) ready to post when I get back. I also have an idea for how to finish the next chapter of Bolt-Action Spell-Casting. There is also a new Redemption fic percolating in my mind, because Jon needs to get back into the action!

Take care, all. This is TwoBitWriter, signing off on-location in Indiana!
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-27 at 10:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Ooh, that's good, Happy. Now I want to see what happens next.
    Next? Next, it gets even darker.

Yeah.

>.>
    <.<

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    @Destro: Very nice fic. I love the part where you had Rai throwing rejected ideas into the wastebasket, because I have been in that situation several times over. It was very sweet, it reminds me of when I used to write poems for my significant others... Hmm... I think my wife would appreciate another one sometime soon...
    Yes, I do it much less dramatically in real life, unfortunately. Now it's just clearing lines of text of Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you know what they say. It's darkest before the dawn. I love the story so far, and I have an idea that will involve Destro signing onto the side of the redemptionists in his own way, but it has to happen after Mordy's army starts on the warpath.

EDIT: Yeah, that's why I gave you a typewriter. Specifically so I could do the wastebasket thing.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2008-12-27 at 10:19 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Yes, I do it much less dramatically in real life, unfortunately. Now it's just clearing lines of text of Word.
    You gotta admit though, there is something that just feels... pure about writing by hand in a notebook. I don't know what it is, but I could never picture myself writing a poem or song in Word.

I love those moments in Word where you think that what you have just written is pure crap and you delete a couple of pages at a time, only to realize that you probably shouldn't have done that and you end up ctrl-Z'ing it all back.

I do that a lot.

@Destro: Typewriters are so fun to write with!

I have access to this old electric one by IBM from the late 70's early 80's. It just feels so satisfying when you hear the clack clack of the keys.