New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Apocalypse Mage [PrC and Template]

Apocalypse Mage

The arch apocalypse mage, Rasputin.

Apocalypse magi, as their name implies are arcanists that use all their power to invoke their dark master, which will no doubt destroy all that is, was and ever will be. As they progress in their normal arcane talents and training, they also gain powers that let them contact their evil lord and provide more corruption into the world, allowing a greater door for destruction. At some point, an apocalypse magi is even capable of summoning forth a creature from beyond that is the inevitable key to the end. This creature can sometimes be a willing ally, but rarely can it be free of it's masters control.

HD: d4

Requirements
    Alignment: Neutral evil or chaotic evil
    Skills: Knowledge (the planes or arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks
    Feats: Chosen of Evil, Evil's Blessing, Slave of Evil*
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th level spells, including at least one corrupt spell or spell of the Evil descriptor.
    Special: Must devote yourself to some otherworldly entity that is bent on the end of times, serving it's will to the best of your ability.
    *Feats can be found in Elder Evils.

Class Skills: Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Profession and Spellcraft
    Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Arcane domains|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Dark foreknowledge|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|--|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Black ritual|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|--|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Death denied|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|--|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Summon beast of apocalypse|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|--|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Invoke the end times|+1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Apocalypse magi gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an apocalypse mage, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Arcane Domains (Ex): At first level, you gain an attachment to your god, as though you were it's equivalent divine messenger. You can choose two domains from the list below as a reflection of your unholy connection to the otherworldly beast. You can prepare or cast these domain spells as normally as any other spell you know, though you do not receive a bonus slot to prepare them in. You also gain the domain powers of the domains you choose.

Domains: Air, Blackwater, Blightbringer, Chaos, Corruption, Darkness, Death, Destiny, Destruction, Earth, Entropy, Evil, Fire, Madness, Pestilence, Water, Watery Death

Dark Foreknowledge (Sp): You have been granted access to some of the knowledge of the unholy creature you serve. At 2nd level, you are capable of using contact other plane as a spell-like ability once every 2d4 hours, and is always treated as if contacting an greater deity. If asking questions on how to more quickly destroy the world, it will always give a true answer.

Black Ritual (Su): At 4th level, you are capable of committing wicked ritual that leaves a black spot on the face of the world. You are capable of using unhallow as a spell-like ability once a day, and this ability has no material component cost.

Death Denied (Su): At 6th level, your dread master will not allow you to die before its task is completed. If you should ever happen to die, you are treated as by the true resurrection spell, your body appearing in any place your master sees fit one year after your death. Each time you are treated with this resurrection, you permanently lose 2 points of Wisdom, which cannot be regained by any means.
    Additionally, you cease aging. You remain the same age until you fulfill your task of the apocalypse. You retain and bonuses or penalties to ability scores by virtue of advanced age, but you do not gain any more.

Summon Beast of Apocalypse (Sp): At 8th level, you may commit the rite of summoning forth the creature that holds the key to the end of the world. This creature starts out as an undeveloped version of what it will over the course of years become the harbinger of the end times. After only a few years, it will advance into a creature that must be a creature with a CR equal the highest level spell you are capable of casting(not including the CR adjustment from the beast of apocalypse template) and of course has the beast of apocalypse template applied to it(see below). Because this template is applied to it, it must be an outsider or aberration of evil alignment or with the Evil subtype.
    If the apocalypse mage has the Leadership feat, it may instead opt to have the creature as his cohort, granted your cohort will soon be of appropriate effective level to be your cohort.

Invoke the End Times (Su):
    At 10th level, you learn the ritual that brings about apocalypse. This ritual requires 24 hours of casting time, and the presence of your beast of apocalypse(or at least it's special arm). While casting this ritual, you are considered to have the effects of a desecrate and magic circle against good spells centered on you in a 60 foot radius. At the end of the ritual, you call forth the very being that is sealed or sleeping away, removing anything that may stop it from coming to earth and destroying it. If your master is successful, than the material plane is likely to have been destroyed, but if it is killed or sealed away you die and return one year later with the lich template and the Evil subtype. You may attempt this ritual again to bring your master back to life, but one that is accomplished you must wait decades or even centuries before committing the normal ritual again to end the world.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-01-05 at 08:46 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Apocalypse Mage [PrC and Template]

Beast of Apocalypse Template

Anung Un Rama, the beast of the end times.

Beasts of apocalypse are otherworldly creatures, summoned primarily by a rare few apocalypse magi and are the very keys to destroying all that is, was and ever be. They appear most usually as creatures of their race, perhaps with slightly more bulk and imposing features, including a large, artificial arm of undetermined material that acts as a greater weapon than most held in hand.

Creating a Beast of Apocalypse
    "Beast of apocalypse" is an inherited template that can be added to to any corporeal outsider or aberration with the evil subtype(referred to hereafter as the base creature). Normally, a beast of apocalypse can only be conjured into existence by an apocalypse mage of 8th level and higher.
    --
    Sidenote: This qualification includes half fiends, with respect to what this template is based on. This also means that whenever I myself create half-fiends they have all the alignment subtypes as their fiendish parent. Some higher level ones might even have the other subtypes, but now I'm rambling.
    --

A beast of apocalypse has all the base creature's statistic and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
    The creatures type changes to outsider. If the base creature is an outsider, than it retains its type. For aberrations with this template, recalculate BAB, saves and skill points as though it were an outsider. Size is unchanged.

Armor Class
    A beast of apocalypse receives a +2 natural armor bonus, as well as a +2 shield bonus to AC granted by their improved arm(see below).

Attack
    Beasts of apocalypse retains all natural weapons it had before this template, and gain a primary slam attack granted by virtue of their improved right arm. They can attack with this arm and still retain their shield bonus to AC. The slam deals damage depending on size, as shown on the table in the damage entry.

Full Attack
    A beast of apocalypse can either attack with it's slam attack and an off-hand weapon, or with a weapon in it's improved arm. A beast of apocalypse cannot attack with it's slam attack and a primary weapon at the same time, but it can hold a weapon while making it's slam attack.

Damage
    A beast of apocalypse's natural slam attack deals damage based on the size of the creature, as noted on the table below. It also deals an additional amount of damage equal to 1½ times it's Str modifier.

{table="head"]Size|Damage
    Tiny|1d4
    Small|1d6
    Medium|1d8
    Large|2d6
    Huge|2d8
    Gargantuan|3d8
    Colossal|4d8
    [/table]

Special Attacks
    A beast of apocalypse retains all the base creature's special attacks nd gains those described below. Save DCs are equal to 10+½ beast's HD+beast's Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Aura of End Fire (Su): Once per day, a beast of apocalypse can invoke unholy fires from it's body. Once per day, it can invoke the aura as a standard action, and anyone within 20 feet of the beast of apocalypse is allowed to make a Reflex save one a round to avoid the damage. On a failed save, it deals 1d6 points of damage and an additional 1d6 damage for every 3 HD the beast possesses above one. On a successful save, they only take half damage. This aura lasts a number of rounds equal to half the beasts HD, rounded down, minimum one.
    If the beast of apocalypse is being used with the Invoke the Apocalypse ritual, it's aura is perpetually active, whether or not it has used it's aura for the day or not and the aura cannot be suppressed.

Special Qualities
    A beast of apocalypse retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.

Apocalyptic Beast (Ex): A beast of apocalypse is quite obviously, a creature that is the harbinger of the end of times on the material plane or worse. It's improved arm is quite literally the key to summoning forth your master's otherworldly lord, the thing that will undoubtedly destroy or consume the world if not destroyed or concealed again. You are the only creature capable of being the key to the Invoke the End Times ritual of your master, though your severed arm works just as well as if it were attached to your body.

Damage Reduction (Ex):
    A beast of apocalypse gains DR 10/good. If the base creature already had damage reduction overcome by good(and anything else), it'd DR instead increases by 5(to a minimum of 10).

Immunities (Ex): Beasts of apocalypse have immunity to fire and electricity.

Improved Arm (Ex): Your arm is something unknown by most scholars and even powerful magi, a material that is literally indestructible. Your arm is considered to be a manufactured weapon(even though it is a slam) in all aspects, and resistance to destruction as though it were an artifact. Your arm cannot however be enhanced magically as a weapon and in that respect is still just a natural weapon. The only thing that can destroy it is the creature which your apocalypse mage master serves to the end of times.

Resistances (Ex): Beasts of apocalypse have resistance 10 to cold and acid.

Abilities
    Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Con +2, Cha +2.

Organization
    Most usually it is unlike creatures of it's race, and is most often merely solitary.

Challenge Rating
    Same as base creature +1.

Treasure
    Same as base creature.

Alignment
    Usually as base creature.

Advancement
    As base creature.

Level Adjustment
    As base creature +2.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Hellboy. (Wonder what classes and such he'd be?)

Now to see how I can work this into my current campaign...

Good stuff, I really like it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sir, has anyone told you that you're a genius? Honestly this is good. I do have one problem though. Why can't this class be Lawful Evil? I can imagine Asmodeus having a few apocalypse magi on various worlds summoning forth heralds of the End of Days. They would be bent not on physically destroying the world but annihilating its current order and replacing it with the totalitarian order of Hell's design. Or is that too out there, even for you Krimm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I love Hellboy. (Wonder what classes and such he'd be?)

Now to see how I can work this into my current campaign...

Good stuff, I really like it.

-X
    Demented One and I figure he's a human half-fiend with warblade levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Sir, has anyone told you that you're a genius? Honestly this is good. I do have one problem though. Why can't this class be Lawful Evil? I can imagine Asmodeus having a few apocalypse magi on various worlds summoning forth heralds of the End of Days. They would be bent not on physically destroying the world but annihilating its current order and replacing it with the totalitarian order of Hell's design. Or is that too out there, even for you Krimm?
    The thing about the class is that it doesn't want to scorch the earth and reform it, the beings I'm talking about are things as or more powerful than gods and want nothing less than a total annihilation of the prime material plane. Your typical LE overlord wants to dominate, NE and CE are most likely to want destruction.
    This is a philosophy I think a lot about.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-01-05 at 09:57 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Regardless I think this is a good prestige class and I applaud your work. I even thaught about putting Hellboy's version of Rasputin in one of my five man bands on this site. I decided not to, I don't want to get rid of Flagg. I could make Rasputin the Ravagers' second Evil Genius along with Fabius Bile. I might try that this week.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

loves you more than you shall ever know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post

Invoke the End Times (Su):
    At 10th level, you learn the ritual that brings about apocalypse.
    Best capstone ever.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Best capstone ever.
    I'm just a little surprised no one's complained that your capstone is basically "You have an instant kill effect ON EVERYTHING EVER."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm just a little surprised no one's complained that your capstone is basically "You have an instant kill effect ON EVERYTHING EVER."
    Because it includes you as well, and basically ends the campaign, so it's not like anybody would use it except out of spite, and it's easy enough to stop. "Lightning strikes you, you die"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Because it includes you as well, and basically ends the campaign, so it's not like anybody would use it except out of spite, and it's easy enough to stop. "Lightning strikes you, you die"
    Yeah, I just find it funny.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

With a capstone like that, this should, at least, be an Epic PrC, nothing short of it.
    "I trained a lot, just to make a super ritual that nullifies all others spells meant to stop a creature so powerful, that my current spellcasting ability shouldn't be able to summon anyway, AND summon it. I also can cast Wish once a day."

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    With a capstone like that, this should, at least, be an Epic PrC, nothing short of it.
    "I trained a lot, just to make a super ritual that nullifies all others spells meant to stop a creature so powerful, that my current spellcasting ability shouldn't be able to summon anyway, AND summon it. I also can cast Wish once a day."
    I dunno, I never saw Rasputin(from the Hellboy comics at least, and who this class is based on) as being particularly epic in level. He was just a slave to higher powers and nothing less than a powerful devotee. The real intent of this class is to have a villain if an NPC, and someone for the DM to jerk around with whatever elder evil the character worships.
    There's just alot of back and forth between awesome sorcerer and slave to evil in this class.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Ritual (Su): At 4th level, you are capable of committing wicked ritual that leaves a black spot on the face of the world. You are capable of using unhallow as a spell-like ability once a day, and this ability has no material component cost.
    Does this need to say it has no material component cost? Since it is a spell-like ability isn't that automatic?

Death Denied (Su): At 6th level, your dread master will not allow you to die before its task is completed. If you should ever happen to die, you are treated as by the true resurrection spell, your body appearing in any place your master sees fit one year after your death. Each time you are treated with this resurrection, you permanently lose 2 points of Wisdom, which cannot be regained by any means.
    Additionally, you cease aging. You remain the same age until you fulfill your task of the apocalypse. You retain and bonuses or penalties to ability scores by virtue of advanced age, but you do not gain any more.
    As written this is abusable. One could die and have one's master resurrect you in a location that you needed to get into. It might make more sense and fit the original source material more if you had to be resurrected in this way at any powerful magical location connected to evil.

In general even without the capstone this class seems a bit too powerful for full caster progression. However, since it seems to be mainly aimed for NPCs that's probably not an issue.

Does this mean we are going to see other Hellboy material homebrewed? I'd love to see some of the stranger creatures from the second movie statted out.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to see this interact with the Chupoclops vestige.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I'd love to see this interact with the Chupoclops vestige.
    I think we have the workings of a campaign in that one.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Freaking sweet.

I might tune down how often you can use the contact other plane, as otherwise I see some PC contacting his deity six times a day, every day with all sorts of ridiculous questions which vaguely relate to his mission. I suppose the DM could rule the deity gets pissed and won't talk to you for a while though.

Black Ritual is a little powerful, mayhaps... Couldn't you essentially use it wherever you go then (unless it's one of those days where you are traveling for miles and miles). I'm envisioning a PC using it shortly before he knows combat with good will occur.... Every single time.

I particularly like the Arcane Domains and the Beast of the Apocalypse. I imagine this would more likely be an NPC class than a PC one (lessening the importance of my critiques), but whatever the case it is very, very awesome.