New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Predestination Paradox [IC]

"Err, well, let's give it a shot." Jaezo knocks sharply on the door a few times. "Hello? Is there anybody in there? This is our room, so please don't try anything funny." Jaezo knocks a few times for good measure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a good long bout of silence. Then a shrill scream pierces the silence. It is definitely emanating from behind that door. You hear a muffled voice say, "Bugger Off!" If anyone can/wants to make a DC 25 Listen Check...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Right, my listen modifier isn't all that high, so if this is a natural 20, I think that's the only way I'll make it.

(1d20)[5]

Nope, don't make it.
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2008-12-19 at 02:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

As much as she would prefer to keep her tent as far from the city of them as possible, there were several compelling reasons to join the crowd, rather than spurn it. First of all - it would paint a tremendous target on her head to place the tent away from the group. Solitary means vulnerable, even with 13013 keeping a lookout - warforged were often loyal creatures, and this one seemed to have imprinted on her for reasons heretofore unknown. The problem was how much she could depend on it. Bob was obviously not the brightest crystal in the magic shop.

Then there was the greater reason of the opportunity to glean some rumors of this dungeon. It certainly wasn't the first time it had been entered, right? And so it only goes to reason that some of the people gathered here had participated before, right?

She sets the foundation pole of her tent into cracked earth. She sighs, nodding to the lizard perched on her hand. "Yes, unless no one survives the maze."

She looks around her chosen spot - one of the more heavily trafficked areas of the temporary outpost. Several caravans had been opened, creating makeshift shops in the mass of tents. With the increased commerce meant guards - this would certainly be one of the more secure areas in the camp. 'Twas one of the advantages, as well as disadvantages, of having such a small tent. She could take up a spot in between the tall-folks tents without batting much of an eyelash. One just had to make sure that they could actually see one's tent before one is woken in the middle of the night with a boot mark on your stomach.

"Bob," she gestures to the pole in her hands. "Can you hold this down while I set up the other pole? And see if you can drive it down a few more inches into the ground."
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-20 at 04:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo and Nevik:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither of you hear a thing. Whatever was going on behind that door has apparently stopped. If you size up that door, it looks pretty flimsy. I leave it up to you to decide what you want to do. Of course the cinematic thing to do would be to bust it open, but that's your choice. So, I suppose if you want the room, you'll have to open that door somehow. I leave the method up to you.
    13013 and Elissa
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I'll let MammonAzrael continue this thread of conversation. It looks promising.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 takes the pole from Elissa as requested and shoves it well into the ground. "That good?"

13013 stares at the pole, and then all the tents surrounding them and slowly understands what the pole is for. "Nap here? Not at home?" It stares at Elissa for a moment before saying, "...talk old too. Not kid? Just small?"
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-12-19 at 10:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo turns to Nevik."Well, the uh. . . the room is occupied. But then again, we did pay for it, so. . .

Oh! I almost forgot - my name is Jaezo. My'Orlčan. Pleased to make your aquaintance."
    Jaezo turns back to the problem of the door, and knocks on the door a few more times, quite a bit louder.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post

13013 takes the pole from Elissa as requested and shoves it well into the ground. "That good?"

13013 stares at the pole, and then all the tents surrounding them and slowly understands what the pole is for. "Nap here? Not at home?" It stares at Elissa for a moment before saying, "...talk old too. Not kid? Just small?"
    A bit more realization dawns on her. "Yes, that's fine, bob." She remains busily collecting the remants of her tent, snapping together the wooden beams. "Have you ever seen a halfling before? Surely a few have come through town. Or are you from somewhere further away?"
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-20 at 05:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

It watches her as she continues constructing her tent. "Bob not here long. Not see old kid, too. Bob here to help with maze. Here for maze?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

" 'Help' with the maze?" The frame of the tent was coming together, and she started binding the beams together with strips of leather. "Have you ever heard of the Cracked Dunes? It's a desert southeast of here - although it's probably a few hundred leagues away, and there are only a few scatterings of halfling tribes. You're probably more familiar with the Danforth plains west of here. I hear the halflings there have actually made a city.

"Anyway,"
    she continued, tightening another knot. "We're not uncommonly mistaken for children by those not used to seeing us. In fact, when venturing into human lands, it's not unusual for us to pretend to be them. We usually have to keep our feet a bit more covered though." She wiggles her right foot, showing off a thick patch of dark brown hair perched atop it. Her bare foot is calloused and caked in thick dried mud and dust.
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-20 at 06:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 shook it's head as Elissa finished putting her tent up. "Bob not see not-kids. So...here for maze? Bob help!" It was clear from the inflection in it's voice that 13013 would be smiling broadly if it had a mouth. The thrill of figuring out something and deciding to help Elissa clearly made it happy.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post

13013 shook it's head as Elissa finished putting her tent up. "Bob not see not-kids. So...here for maze? Bob help!" It was clear from the inflection in it's voice that 13013 would be smiling broadly if it had a mouth. The thrill of figuring out something and deciding to help Elissa clearly made it happy.
    "I'm sure it'll be a pleasure venturing with you. My name is Elissa, by the way - " she smiles, the warforge's enthusiasm contagious. The frame of the tent done, she pulls out the canvas, lays it atop, and begins fastening it down to the pegs.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 helps Elissa finish up the last touches on her tent happily. "Bob good help. Good to meet, El...sa."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Her bedroll and gear successfully stashed inside her tent, she patted Bob on the knee. "Thanks for the help. As much as I'd like to turn in for the night, I think I'll take some rounds around the tents, see if i can catch some information. Mind watching after my stuff?"

Turning her attention to her left, she looked upon the larger tent that she had setup in the shadow of. There were a few people talking nearby - perhaps she wouldn't have to go far to start sleuthing.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Wassat? Who's dere? I'm warning yoo! Don't open dat door or yoo sa in beeeg doo doo!" The voice obviously belongs to some drunk individual. All the same, he does sound serious. Asking politely won't get you anywhere. So I suppose break down the door or leave.
    13013 and Elissa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A tall, muscle-toned man stumbles back and forth, crashing into your tent. "What do you think you're doing, pitching your stupid tent in the middle of the road eh?" With that, he grabs the tent and proceeds to wreck it, muttering along the whole way. He obviously seems like someone capable of maintaining an internal monologue while running a very one sided argument all by himself. Well, there goes a good hour of work.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Err, is it just me, or is Jar Jar Binks inside there?

Jaezo stands there for a moment, before getting an idea. "This is the [police]! Open the door, now!
    We have you surronded!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff roll!
    (1d20+10)[25]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Dem Po-Po dun't ask nicely. Dey jus' open door and bang bang. Yoo no Po-Po. Me fink you lying! 'f you are da Po-Po, den come in here and git me! Thppllt" You hear him trying to give a raspberry, but the organism behind the door doesn't quite seem to be able to do such a thing.

OOC: No, it's not Jar-Jar Binks, but it's certainly a good guess. Maybe I should...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright, you brought this upon yourself." Jaezo starts trying to knock down the door, making likely a fair bit of noise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check to knock down the door:
    (1d20-2)[1]

EDIT: Hmm. . . looks like a failure!
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2009-01-04 at 04:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elissa suddenly loses the remains of her fervor looking at the shattered remains of her tent. Not only was it the last of her energy merely to construct it, but she doubted that she could fix it ever, let alone tonight. Good collapsible tents were so hard to come by...

Struggling to keep the growing fatigue and irritation out of her voice, she addresses the man. "I'm very sorry, my choice of camp seems poor, in hindsight. As you've made sure I don't have the option of relocating, I hesitate to ask a favor - would you accept the burden of allowing me the night in your own tent? I assure you, I do not take much room."

She smiles sweetly, exaggerating her tired swagger.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check, if called for:
    [roll]1d20+4[/roll]
    $%#$, how do you get the fricken dice roller to work?
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2009-01-05 at 03:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 reaches out to grab the man's arm, gently but firmly. "Stop. That not nice. No mean to El Sa."

Looking at the destruction of the tent, 13013 is saddened that his new friend's shelter was dismantled.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know, your roll looks solid.

Isn't it just (1d20+4)[12]?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your weak and inefficient blow fails to achieve much. Aside from that, you hear a muffled warning from the voice you heard. Then you hear a shrill scream.

OOC: Okay, you asked for it. Stupid Gungans.
    13013 and Elissa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elissa's attempt at diplomacy almost cools down the huge man, but as soon as 13013 grabs his arm, he gets extremely angry again. "Git yer dirty little clankers off mah arm you stupid good for nothin' brick!" Visibly angered now, he pulls out a small dagger and attacks 13013 with it.

OOC: Uhh, let me see... (1d20+4)[9] for the Attack Roll and (1d4+4)[6] for the Dagger Damage. (1d20+2)[15] for Initiative. Purely going from memory of the rules, so I may have botched something there. That was a Surprise Round, so now you get to roll Initiative. If you're higher, great, go ahead and post an action. As for rolling the dice, be aware that you can't actually edit rolls into a post and you cannot preview a post with rolls.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aah, why do these doors have to be so tough?" Jaezo pauses and mutters a few incomprehensible words. Moments later, an image of a large burly man is inside the room. "Now see here, you march outside this room right now, or so help me I'll Fireball you where the sun don't shine anymore. "

Spoiler
    Show
    Jaezo has cast Silent Image. The DC to negate it is 14. 'Course, there's probably a bonus on the will save, since the voice comes from behind the door, and the door never really opened.
    Thogh to be fair, Jar Jar over there is drunk, so. . .
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 lets go as the man strike out at it, surprised. "Not nice! No hurt Bob!" With that 13013 lashes out to slam the drunk in an attempt to subdue him.

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 33/33
    AC: 23
    Initiative - (1d20+1)[7]

Standard Action: Stone Bones maneuver with slam attack:
    Attack - (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage - (1d4+3)[5]
    If the attack hits, 13013 gains DR 5/adamantine for 1 round.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

"He's just drunk, Bob. Try to hold him down till he calms down!" Then she pulls out one of her shortspears and thrusts it for the man's arm, with the intention of disarming his dagger.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[24] initiative
    (1d20+1)[9] disarm. The man gets +4 since elissa is small, but -4 since it's a light weapon. This is all /if/ he missed his attack of opportunity.
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2009-01-06 at 01:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6] for the Will Save. (I won't cheat )
    However, you have no idea what's going on behind that door. So... you know...
    13013 and Elissa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    13013's attack misses as he fumbles for his weapon. Elissa attempts to disarm the man but misses. In the confusion and panic, the big man spins around rapidly and knocks over a torch as he brings his weapon to bear on Elissa. "This is gonna be yer last day alive!" He attacks Elissa with another sweep of his dagger. (1d20+4)[6] for the attack roll and (1d4+4)[8] for the damage from the dagger.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2009-01-07 at 05:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo mumbles to himself, "Good. That part worked." Straigthening back up, Jaezo continues to concentrate on the spell.
    "Right, now what I want you to do is open up that door and march out. Don't try to resist, as I can and will use magic on you. Let me tell you, it's not the most fun experience. At that, the illusion's hands start to glow, as if its about to cast a spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I get a bluff check for your illusion?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check:
    (1d20+10)[11]

A natural 1? Sadface. . .
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2009-01-07 at 08:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not nice! No hurt El Sa too!" 13013 swings our again with his arm, trying to give his new friend better striking position.

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 33/33
    AC: 23
    Initiative: 7

Standard Action: Vangaurd Strike maneuver with slam attack:
    Attack - (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage - (1d4+3)[5]
    If the attack hits, all allies gain a +4 bonus to attacks against him for the next round.