New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [d20r, Feats] Investing Feats

I wouldn't really like that... it'd mean that Rogues for example could be proficient with more fighting techniques than fighters. One of the good things about prowess is that it is unrelated to your skill points, so "dumb" classes benefit from it just as well (or considering that they gain prowess faster, more).

On a second thought it does have merit if you "group" the skills, I guess... If there were only 2-3 categories (athletic-acrobatic-Bluff/intimidate), then even fighters could afford it.
    Last edited by Knave; 2009-08-11 at 04:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

No, Prowess is remaining as it is. I'll be messing with the actual mechanics to see about how I can make sure your first couple leevels don't result in Prowess oversaturation.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Why is Improved Critical nerfed? I was hoping to see some improvement in it, but now you have to invest Prowess just to get back where it is in 3.5, and you still can't improve past that. Critical-focused builds are a weak choice in regular 3.5, now it seems like it costs more to make that weak choice...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Why is Improved Critical nerfed? I was hoping to see some improvement in it, but now you have to invest Prowess just to get back where it is in 3.5, and you still can't improve past that. Critical-focused builds are a weak choice in regular 3.5, now it seems like it costs more to make that weak choice...
    Notice the absence of the stacking clause for keen?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

I almost went back and edited to ask if that's what you meant. The absence may not have mattered if Keen still had that clause, but of course the possibility had crossed my mind that you had changed more than just that feat to balance that.

Well, I'm thrilled with that.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

And, to beat anyone to the punch, Sean K. Reynolds makes a great argument for why it isn't broken.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

I was going to link to that if you argued that it did need a nerf, actually...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    And, to beat anyone to the punch, Sean K. Reynolds makes a great argument for why it isn't broken.
    My sarcasm-detectors are broken. If anyone has one working, is this supposed to be sarcastic?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    My sarcasm-detectors are broken. If anyone has one working, is this supposed to be sarcastic?
    Nope, it's not.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Notice the absence of the stacking clause for keen?
    Umm. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but doesn't the phrasing you still have there- "This effect doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon-" invalidate stacking Keen regardless of whether or not it is specifically mentioned?

..that is, if you *meant* to allow Improved Critical to stack, it looks like you forgot to actually edit out the offending line.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2009-08-11 at 10:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Umm. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but doesn't the phrasing you still have there- "This effect doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon-" invalidate stacking Keen regardless of whether or not it is specifically mentioned?
    Whoops, left that in from a prior edit.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Nope, it's not.
    Power Attack smacks all over that argument, before peeing on it. Crits are worth more than 'increased base damage'

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Power Attack smacks all over that argument, before peeing on it. Crits are worth more than 'increased base damage'
    -_- Did you, uh, fail to notice the change to Power Attack too?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

-_- Did you, uh, fail to notice the change to Power Attack too?
    I actually did, and I still do. I see no difference.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I actually did, and I still do. I see no difference.
    Then you and I will continue to disagree until you can indicate in a mathematical fashion why exactly is broken, at which point I will venture to come up with a mechanical fix.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I am pretty sure I know the answer this but clarification is always better. Its my experience that any question you answer right off the bat, is a little less debate later on, especially in DnD.

Can you invest in a feat the level you get it? IE you get power attack at level 6 and immediately invest it up?
    I assume you can.

Are you gonna add some metamagic feats? Or are they just for martial feats? I think they would be good candidates for this. As well as say spell focus. 10 proficiency for +1 DC or some such.
    Last edited by dragoonsgone; 2009-08-11 at 11:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragoonsgone View Post
    I am pretty sure I know the answer this but clarification is always better. Its my experience that any question you answer right off the bat, is a little less debate later on, especially in DnD.

Can you invest in a feat the level you get it? IE you get power attack at level 6 and immediately invest it up?
    I assume you can.
    Yes, but there are some limitations. You cannot invest more prowess into an [Investing] feat than your BAB+3. You cannot save prowess from level to level. Once spent, prowess cannot be altered.

Are you gonna add some metamagic feats? Or are they just for martial feats? I think they would be good candidates for this. As well as say spell focus. 10 proficiency for +1 DC or some such.
    Prowess' intent is primarily for martial classes, though there will be some style feats that are primarily caster-centric.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-08-11 at 11:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

STEALTH NINJA NON-EDIT OF MATERIAL NOT MADE YET: keen will add to crit multiplier; Improved Critical will add to threat range.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    Power attack. You make no mention whatsoever about 2handed weapons, which I find odd as 2handed power attacking is pretty much the only way anybody goes these days. If normal power attack is at 1:1 and thru investment becomes 1:2, then is 2handed 1:3 or 1:4?

God, why does this feel like the leap attack debate all over again? (btw, how do you rule on that one, normal uninvested 2handed power attack leap attack? Now what if you invest in it??
    I second this question. Our group was wondering about it (both of the questions actually ).
    Last edited by Zaakar; 2009-08-24 at 02:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaakar View Post
    I second this question. Our group was wondering about it (both of the questions actually ).
    2h power attack works the same way as 1h. I don't really see why there needs to be a difference.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Because you get more power out of holding a sword in both hands?

Try it... hit something with a stick as powerfully as you can first with one hand, and then with two... which did you hit hardest with?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bogsnes View Post
    Because you get more power out of holding a sword in both hands?

Try it... hit something with a stick as powerfully as you can first with one hand, and then with two... which did you hit hardest with?
    Yes, yes, which is why 2h weapons get 1.5*Str mod damage rather than just Str mod. I don't really see why I need to include that into Power Attack, though.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yes, yes, which is why 2h weapons get 1.5*Str mod damage rather than just Str mod. I don't really see why I need to include that into Power Attack, though.
    Seconded.

The only thing in the original feat to imply that it had anything to do with hitting things really hard was the name. It is not something which needs its fluff set in stone the way it was in 3.5.

When using the Leap Attack feat in d20r, you should delete the entire sentence "If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack." - it is intended as a reminder of the d20 multiplication convention (double something twice, and the end result is triple, not quadruple), not as a rule.

Bear in mind that that isn't an official ruling - because Fax intends to publish his work, he has to stick to OGL material, meaning that he can't go around making sure that all of the non-SRD stuff fits. To use non-SRD material, you will have to do at least a little work adapting it.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2009-08-24 at 04:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I agree hugely. After all the mechanics work perfectly fine for aiming somewhere more vital, and thus being more likely to miss. And its not like two handed weapons help hugely with that, although there are exceptions here.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Plus it helps to limit and mitigate UberCharge cheese, and makes other build types more viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

Far Shot [Investing]
    Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot

Benefit: When you use a projectile weapon, such as a bow, its range increment increases by one-half (multiply by 1.5). When you use a thrown weapon, its range increment is doubled.

Investiture: For each eight points of prowess invested in this feat, your ranges multiply by another .5. For instance, if you have five points of prowess invested in this feat, your ranges for projectile weapons is multiplied by 2, and your thrown weapons are multiplied by 2.5.
    Emphasis mine.

I think this is a typo; first you say eight points, but then it shouldn't do anything if you only have five points invested in it.

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but I love this investing concept. It makes even the low-level feats significant (or, potentially significant, rather) at high levels, and overall makes you think about your feats more. The whole system is at once both simpler and heartier. Good job, as usual.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I like this system. Seens solid.

Can I steal borrow it later?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally for "scaling feats" I preferred the method used by Races of War (BAB or ranks in a skill).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just wondering, why is investing limited to combat feats? As it is, there are other scalable feats (like Alertness [gain effects an extra time per X prowess], Empower Spell [raise multiplier by .5 per X prowess], or Improved Turning [see Alertness]) that a noncombatant might focus on improving. For that matter, there are some feats (like Leadership [make leadership score dependent on investiture] or Power Attack [cap at some function of investiture]) that you might want to work on converting to use Prowess to bring their scaling in line with the new mechanic.
    ...and to balance the seriousness of anything I might have said: boingo boingo whoopsy knickers.(Apologies to B. Croshaw)
    My homebrews:
    The Xeromancer [PrC], The Gamer [Monster] (Monster Contest XXXII Winner)The Sworn [Base Class]...and various things scattered around the forums I can't be bothered to track down again.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sidhe3141 View Post
    Just wondering, why is investing limited to combat feats? As it is, there are other scalable feats (like Alertness [gain effects an extra time per X prowess], Empower Spell [raise multiplier by .5 per X prowess], or Improved Turning [see Alertness]) that a noncombatant might focus on improving. For that matter, there are some feats (like Leadership [make leadership score dependent on investiture] or Power Attack [cap at some function of investiture]) that you might want to work on converting to use Prowess to bring their scaling in line with the new mechanic.
    I believe the whole purpose of the Investing Feats was to give the martial types a little something while the others still get there spells.

Not that it couldn't be done with non martial feats, just that it helps balance the system a tad.

Or maybe Fax just hasn't gotten around to doing the others yet.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2010-01-15 at 02:03 AM.